This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street....125th St. Harlem, New York

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, December 15, 2008

On the Street....125th St. Harlem, New York

Comments on "On the Street....125th St. Harlem, New York"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:34 AM) : 

Look, as a man, I appreciate another man making an effort with a suit but this is crazy. I know you have your reasons for posting pics like these but someone has got to tell him jackets that long make him appear to have very short legs and a long torso/upper half...it also wouldn't hurt to taper those trousers just a little bit. I can imagine the back of them just dragging on the floor like an annoying baby that doesn't wanna walk....

One positive I will say is the background looks great. Looks like you took it around 8 in the morning....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:41 AM) : 

HiDEE HIDEE HiDEE HI!! HeyDEE HeyDEE HeyDEE HEY! Cab Calloway's Cousin :-)!! Love his Moxie!! But this much pink is better for springtime.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:46 AM) : 

L-O-V-E I-T!!!

Pink man I love you!

 

Blogger daltonmc said ... (9:53 AM) : 

I know the larger clothes are a staple in the african american community, but I still can't get over how much slimmer clothes look much much better on a whole.

I think that would kick this outfit up a notch.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:06 AM) : 

I'm a black man and I love your site, but I'm really tired of how 80 percent of the time you show a black guy it's of some "fashion don't" freaky guy or some weirdly dressed space pimp. Seriously. When you show a normal, very well dressed black man I'm almost shocked. The way a person edits usually tells you how they see the world. I can't tell you how to see the world, but at least realize that some of us can see that you have some different glasses on when it comes to non-white guys.

 

Blogger Pipaluk Pearl said ... (10:11 AM) : 

If I were in trouble, I feel I could approach this stranger and ask for help. That, as a look, says a great deal.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:13 AM) : 

My goal for the rest of the week is to enjoy getting dressed as much as this gentleman does!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:16 AM) : 

first thing i think is iron

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:18 AM) : 

Men in pink look fabulous anytime of year - this gentleman knows how to make it work for him - i love it!

 

Blogger - said ... (10:22 AM) : 

I like pinky. I think he looks quite nice. The cut may be a bit off but I commend anyone who is willing to embrace their shape instead of hide in browns & greys.

 

Blogger The Clever Pup said ... (10:23 AM) : 

Although this is not sartorially elegant,he reminds me of a giant strawberry ice cream.

The pants could definitely be shorter with a little emphasis on his shoes.

 

Blogger Petulia said ... (10:24 AM) : 

I love it! So fun and colorful in the gray winter! I am all for it

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:25 AM) : 

bold guy!

 

Blogger May Kasahara said ... (10:28 AM) : 

I think I want to hug him.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (10:28 AM) : 

for Anon 10:06

I think you have more problem with diversity than I do.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:32 AM) : 

I love the site also and I am a Blk Man who loves great style and has many friends with great style. You need to make an effort to shoot some of them. But the pat answer is always "We cannot find any" Most of the places you shoot there are Blk folks with style but it's your blog your world. I'm disappointed Sart.

Mad Man

 

Blogger DMK said ... (10:33 AM) : 

Fantastic. Love it. Great co-ordination, great patterns -- I love the sense of style on this.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:37 AM) : 

The best pics are the ones in which your subjects seem thrilled with the way they look. It's not a look for me, but I aspire to be this satisfied with my day to day outfits. Charming.

 

Blogger RooRooPants said ... (10:44 AM) : 

I love this man, I habitually would see him on my morning commute to the Metro-North.

Such a snazy man.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:45 AM) : 

This look could maybe work in June when the idea of Strawberry icecream is appealing, but in December?
The whole look reminds me of medical scrubs.

 

Blogger saintvenus said ... (10:46 AM) : 

this man is having his fun with fashion~

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:46 AM) : 

Anon10:06's first sentence is exactly true for me, as well.

I don't agree that 'we' have a problem with "diversity." This isn't about diversity. In each situation, you show something you appreciate. In most cases, you appreciate it because you like it. In this case, you appreciate it for the 'effort' and for the splash it makes on the street/web page. But, as said above, this, if not a "fashion don't" is certainly not a "do." A guy dressed like this is not going to be at your dinner party. If we're talking about "diversity," in my view, it doesn't include simple 'illustrations.' It's as if this fellow is here for comedic effect. Yes, i believe the words written here in response — that people 'appreciate' this man's love of fashion. But, i find it hard to believe that anyone here likes his choices or RESPECTS those choices.

This is like the upper west side folks going to Central Park and pausing for a moment to watch the 'urban' kids dancing for change. Clearly, it's different than the other examples.

Please, Sart - admit it. There's nothing in that image that you would wear. In the other examples, though, you choose people/clothes you actually ADMIRE.

["Space pimp" — that's rich.]

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:52 AM) : 

I think it's fair to say that this site sets out some magnificent eccentrics from all ages, races and genders.

It's a bit unfair to be critical with respect to having more conventionally dressed black men. Should we adopt some sort of quota system - older white female hipster, young black male suited-and-booted, middle age asian male space cadet? Oh please.

There is no website I have come across that has a wider, more diverse approach than this one.

 

Blogger Sara said ... (10:55 AM) : 

Funky style!

 

Blogger nsk said ... (10:57 AM) : 

The people who are complimenting this outfit because it's got pink in it are basically saying, "[She's ugly but] she's a good dancer."

There's nothing unique or particularly notable about this outfit other than that it's pink. Men of all colors wear silly-cut suits like this all over America - particularly in the South - and nobody thinks they're being particularly fashionable; this is just how they dress.

This guy's confidence and smile are far more notable than his clothes. If that's the point of this post, then great. If not, then this post almost devolves into a game of " Let's Point Out the Unique Black Man."

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:59 AM) : 

I love it! More people like him, less fashion industry people, please.

 

Blogger Stephanie Clayton said ... (10:59 AM) : 

he looks absolutely divine in pink! however, the proportions are off, & the pants appear too long & baggy w/ that coat length. i can appreciate the concept, though: he's not afraid to take chances, so bravo for that!

 

Blogger Lovely Rita said ... (11:04 AM) : 

Love the colors, the originality, the fun he must have had, but hate the fit. However, if I saw him on the street I would say "Man, what a great outfit... needs to be fitted, but still, wow!". And boy, it takes a lot of style to embrace pink like this and still look masculine.

Anonymous... I totally understand your feeling, but let me say it: I don't think the problem is in finding normal stylish black guys.... I think it is in finding white guys who have the guts to take such chances on clothing (and still look good). I live in Portugal and EVERYONE around here looks the same. Black, white, red or yellow, they all have that surfer look, blonde, curly hair... Not even fashion, and definitely not stylish. I don't notice them when I walk down the street. Sometimes I don't even recognize people I go to school with, but I'm pretty sure they notice me, and I'm a caucasian girl, brown hair, brown eyes, kinda overweighted, not enough to be fat... I would be totally unrecognizable, if I didn't have my style. And, I don't know why, but I'm sure there's some sort of social whatever study that can explain it, non-caucasian races are much more inventive when it comes to all kinds of art, in general. I mean, who doesn't love the japanese's hair? The indian's saris?

By all that stuff above (guess who has problems with synthesis), all I wanted to say is that you should be happy that most black people who get shots in this blog don't look like the regular guys we see every freakin' day. They're original, they've got style and they're not afraid to show it. For me, that's the point of all the photos here: The style, the originality, the little details that make that person unique and recognizable and head-turning-ish. So, I don't think you should be worried about them looking pimp-ish ou et-ish... even if you hate their style, at least they don't look like every other fashionista strutting around NY, London, Paris, Milan or Moscow streets.

 

Blogger Chris Johnson said ... (11:05 AM) : 

Scott,

Do you honestly think that the way this man put himself together is on par with the men, and particularly the black men, you've featured on your site? I don't know about the other black viewers of your site, but I personally feel patronized and cheated by this picture...

I want to see black men on this site tailored to within an inch of their lives, thank you - the same way you show the Parisians, Milanese, bankers, stylists, and the Japanese fashion editors...

More black men aspiring to be Hamish Bowles, please - less Master P.

 

Blogger nyc/caribbean ragazza said ... (11:07 AM) : 

This guy likes his pinks.

It's not how my brother or any of the black men in my immediate family dress but for some men of a certain age this is a fly get up.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:09 AM) : 

Anon 10.06 - your comments in my opinion are quite unjustified. go back into The Sartorialist's archive and check out the huge range of all kinds of people he has shot in many parts of the world. Mr Schumann takes photographs of people in great clothes and displaying a distinct sense of personal style. Race,age, sex, gender, colour, creed , religon, has nothing to do with it.
For me his work is about inspiration and opening people's minds.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:10 AM) : 

I'm sorry, I bet he's a great guy and remind me of a soul singer, but he looks like a straberry birthday cake. Not that I would eat it...

Congratulations, you made me hungry!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:24 AM) : 

The key here is confidence, loads of it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:25 AM) : 

I love it!! I wish more men wore color like this!!

For Anon 10:06 and Mad Man:

"The way a person edits usually tells you how they see the world."

The way a person remembers things usually tells you how they see the world, too. The Sartorialist has posted dozens of photos of "Blk folks with style" as well as a lot of photos of white men in bright colors and plaid.

Sunday Morning Brooklyn
Sart of the Year Nominee
Sunday's Best
Certain Style
Nolita Street Vendor
On Street: Harlem
On Street: Brooklyn
Brooklyn Bowler


Bright lime green
Bright blue suit
Parisien in Plaid
Red pants
Lime green sweater, red tie
Be Bold
Plaid suit
Red jacket
Red AND plaid

That's only from the first few months, and that doesn't even count all the smashing photos of Mory!! Maybe the problem is that there aren't enough white male sartorialists out there embracing head-to-toe color!

 

Blogger chief shannopin said ... (11:38 AM) : 

i cannot imagine how race can come into play on this one. no matter what someone's background may be, being stylish is sometimes more about his or her clothing contributing to the look on their face and the way they feel about him or herself. in this case, his confident smirk and strong demeanor are what make the case for man's sartorial effulgence!

 

Blogger orchid lover said ... (11:39 AM) : 

I love this site. But...I really wish you would be more inspired with your photos of people of color. This image is just so offensive in so many ways to your African-American readers. Yes, the man chose his clothes, but you chose the background and to post a photo that obscures half his face. Your camera is set to expose white fabric better than black skin!

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (11:41 AM) : 

For Chris Johnson

Please check the super styling Ian Hylton and Mory (to name just two) if you are looking for black men that are super tailored.

I think only showing them and not this guy or Dee and Ricky would be boring.

Also as a photographer, how could I pass up that shot? Harlem is the Mecca for this type of look and I think the rest of the world would be interested in seeing this part of NYC.

 

Blogger Dominica said ... (11:45 AM) : 

A bit over the top but hey, if he's happy - so am I ...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:05 PM) : 

This is a great picture!!!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:05 PM) : 

pants are too long.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:05 PM) : 

Thanks Sart for using your images to inject individuality into mainstream society!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:09 PM) : 

Sensitive thugs, you all need hugs.

As a young black man of discerning taste I'm not offended by this at all. To me it's regular. I wouldn't wear it, but this man happens to like gaudy clothes. Go into a black church, that's all you'll see, trust me, I'm in there every Sunday.

Furthermore, you all need to relax with the "diversity issue." Make your own website up if it's so bad. This man is a photographer. Let him shoot pictures of people from all walks of life. I have the GQ issue with Dee and Ricky at the Kanye show and frankly I think they're kind of lame, but the brothers and sisters in that issue were dressed sharply and might I add the sisters were dark and lovely. Stop with the sensitive chatter. Go over yourselves. It's not that serious. There are greater injustices going in the world than pictures of people in clothes.

 

Blogger Jill said ... (12:21 PM) : 

God Ya'll...lighten up!

 

Blogger Eff Dee Aytche said ... (12:31 PM) : 

the lines make him look better in the clothing...but the color screams "Pimp"....but hey if he likes it....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:43 PM) : 

"i cannot imagine how race can come into play on this one."

Well, white guys don't dress like this. If they did, they'd be ridiculed. There's something about the way race 'plays' that promotes an attitude of 'amusement' at this 'style.' But, i think it's just us trying to be democratic and sophisticated. Truth be told, though, who among us wants our best friend/spouse/partner/whatever dressed like this?

Don't get me wrong. This man looks like a gentleman. An amiable person. I wouldn't mind having a conversation with him. But, if he showed up to my dinner party like this, i'd be embarrassed.

I'm black, and i don't mind saying that this look is cheap, tacky, cartoonish, costume-y, ghetto.... It's "stylish." But, so is a lot of hip-hop 'style.' However, i will discern between GOOD style and BAD style.

@Sart:
As a photographer, no, you couldn't pass up that shot. You're a journalist. But, you also edit, and his inclusion has a different significance than, say, "The Painter, Moscow."

 

Blogger junglesiren said ... (12:49 PM) : 

I get it. Black folks, let's not wanna haul off and slap the Sart. He's introduced us to some very fine, very well dressed, very chic brothas and sistas in the past.

This guy spent time and effort putting this together. It has meaning to him to look good regardless of whether or not we like what he's wearing.

While we often cringe at these images because they seem clownish and some how harken back to the idea of "cooning", let's remember, we've all got uncles and cousins who would think this is perfection (well, maybe not the pink part). Get thee to a Gospel Play and check out the fine threads around you.

And we're not the only group of people who have a hick-up in the style continuum. Check out shots on this site from Russia. Check out Stockholm. Does it get any whiter? And boy, some of the stuff those folks wear I'd put up against this dude any day of the week. I've seen clownish people in on this site from LA, NY, London.... even, gasp! Florence! We don't hold the monopoly on looking foolish.

Why is it with us (and yeah, I include myself because this picture hit a nerve with me too) we have to identify with every black person on this site? When do we get the luxury of freedom from the toll of what other black folks do or wear or how they behave?

 

Blogger Jorge from W Palm Beach said ... (12:54 PM) : 

Thanks Evelynne for all your research. Stylish black men with beautiful bodies and faces are continuously portrayed in this blog. I do think that someone is going to be really scrubbing those pink cuffs at the end of the day! Jorge from W Palm Beach

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:08 PM) : 

He looks confident and happy.
But the double standard on this blog continues--you'd never feature a woman of similar proportions.

 

Blogger thwany said ... (1:19 PM) : 

you have to be bold to pull this off, and evidently --- this man is.

 

Blogger Michael Joseph Owens said ... (1:36 PM) : 

There's nothing about the clothes I like.

 

Blogger The Management said ... (1:40 PM) : 

You've certainly sparked another conversation :)

For what it's worth, the composition on the shot is interesting and captures your attention and, despite all of the comments the contrary, your business gets you to take shots that are people in their everyday lives, which is what makes you special.

 

Blogger PageAndLeaf said ... (1:43 PM) : 

this is lovely i think. brave guy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:00 PM) : 

I think this man projects confidence and looks happy - that's what a good attitude and an outfit that matches your personality does for you. Good for him! As a white person, I wish more white guys would feel it's ok to take chances on colors or styles. There are very few - especially straight men - who would feel comfortable and secure enough to wear even a color like this because they'd be afraid of looking too gay, I think. Many black men of all persuasions seem to be fine with it, and I applaud that.

 

Blogger John-Bryan Hopkins said ... (2:06 PM) : 

It looks honest.

You can't get better than that.

His Sunday best i am sure!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:08 PM) : 

I love this!

 

Blogger erin nuts said ... (2:09 PM) : 

I LOVE this man! To me this is one of those photos that's all about how it makes you feel...which I guess is all photos, but this really hits it for me. He just looks like that's what he wanted to wear so he wore it and enjoyed it. And besides, while maybe it could be, it's not necessarily a matter of not knowing how to fit himself; it's pretty much an old-fashioned zoot suit. They were fashionable at one point and he still likes it, so what?

And as far as the diversity question...maybe the problem is just that not enough white guys dress like this.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:16 PM) : 

this seems like a worthwhile image because i have no idea what wearing that suit means to this man. but as a way of thinking it out, am i wrong in thinking of walter van bierendonck?

the sartorialist aesthetic is coded white. it draws on a sense of what a man should be elaborated at a time when not everything about being white and male was as beautiful as wingtips and cufflinks. when a pic like this shows up, it's bound to look exotic. but so do pics of young urban street style worn by anybody, white or black. remember that guy with baggy plaid vibskov shorts? a total exotic on this site.

i would bet our photographer's motivation for taking this picture is twofold (besides not being able to pass up a giant pink man on the stret)--that the proportions, however imprecisely done, are a model for inspiration that could be translated into many idioms--the long jacket and baggy pants could be done in many different ways. also, from a kind of nostalgia that raises lots of awkward questions without doing anything to suggest a way of answering them. maybe that nostalgia is misplaced?

but i'm glad to see a street shot of a regular dude in his environment, as opposed to a fashion dude or dudette in a fashion environment.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:16 PM) : 

I look at this guy, and I see pride on his face. I imagine that he was genuinely pleased that Sart asked to take his picture. If this man is comfortable with what he is wearing, then who are we to judge him? We are the ones that are bringing race into play when his race has nothing to do with this shot. He is an individual who happens to like the way he looks.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:24 PM) : 

To Anonymous 10:06am I'm a person of colour too and agree with your perspective of how some people view the world however; I think you may have missed the point of this blog! It embraces all points of view and the man in pink is clearly illustrating his! That you think he looks like some "fashion don't freaky guy or some weirdly dressed space pimp" says more about you than anything the Sartorialist could have ever posted! Lighten up, fashion is never to be taken that seriously!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:29 PM) : 

Anon - Start your own blog site. Necessity will always be the mother of invention.

He reminds me of my Dad's generation, actually, he is of my fathers' generation. However, my father wouldn't be caught dead in that suit. He's always been a man that believed in a proper fit and I'm sure that's one of the things that attracted my mom (a designer) to him.

If I saw said gentleman on the street, I would definitely wink at him and tell him he made my day! Even though I hate the color and fit, I love the confidence and the departure from the blahs of the typical NYC/Paris grey and black palette.

With that said, I wouldn't be surprised to see this in a more "tailored" version on the Spring runways.

Don't forget Leke!!! Still waiting to see those photoshoot pics Sart!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:41 PM) : 

Ouch on this one Sart! As a black guy I can totally understand the frustration over this image. I walk down the street and roll my eyes when I see guys dressed like the image you have displayed. But that's not what bothers me here.

In most images that you feel are goin to create "lively discussion," you preface with a fashion inspiration that we might glean from the ensemble if we look closer. You failed to do that this time. I would hazard a guess that it's because there is nothing insprational to be gleaned from this photo. The suit coat is too small and unflattering on this gent's frame. The pants are cupping and poorly tailored. It just doesn't work.

But I'd be willing to suspensd disbelief as soon as I see this pic featured in GQ under the trend watch. But you know what? I don't think that's gonna happen. Feel free to prove me wrong.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:57 PM) : 

Sart,

I'm not sure what to make of this. I certainly do not believe there is anything "behind it" in terms of portraying black men in a negative way. However I can see why some of your readers may take some level of offense as this "look" is not consistent with well dress subjects you typically portray in your pictures.

I do not think anyone can honestly say he looks good but I guess beauty is truly in the eyes of the beholder. This beholder sees this person as definately needing some dressing advice!

 

Blogger Venus said ... (3:02 PM) : 

Sart, you're tops in my book! As an african-american female, I think his look is not the look of someone I'd date (heaven forbid), but I agree with the other folks that if he loves his outfit, then I love it too! Keep up the good work! sign me, faithful style crusader.

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (3:17 PM) : 

He got guts! Nuff said!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:22 PM) : 

What fashion value does this image hold?

We have all seen confident people wearing things they shouldn't - things that fail to flatter and enhance (to put it nicely).

If the lesson is the embrace of color and confidence then I would think it could achieved using a more stylish and fashion savvy image. Otherwise what's the point. I can flip through a Sears catalog.

And I can understand the chagrin of some of the posters. This image is does hold a hint of negative imagery.

Raise the bar Sart...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:39 PM) : 

When one of Sart's photos provokes impassioned debate beyond the parameters of style and dress, as they do from time to time, it is not a bad thing. i have read all the comments and will continue to read more that will inevitably follow and can honestly say i have been educated and enlightened in many ways. The wisdom and reason of monique 12.49 will stay with me for a long time. Sart - keep doing your thing, i for one will keep looking and learning.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:57 PM) : 

I suddenly have a hankering for bubble gum...

 

Blogger Flat-N-Fast said ... (4:17 PM) : 

I don't recall this site ever really telling people what to DO or what NOT TO DO with regard to wearing clothing. I thought it was more a window or sorts looking at what people are wearing. Certainly some of the outfits are more notable for what most people who would read a fashion blog would consider wearable or creative. However, just click on the link for Men in NYC and you'll see three (i think) well dressed black men. I like the T Monk one that leads off the page.

Also, this look is not only in Harlem... It has made its way to Detroit (make sure the shoes are gators) and Chicago, and (as someone mentioned) Atlanta. I don't really care what Sart. thinks, but I like looking at the photos and reading the comments. Most of these folks wear things that I simply wouldn't. I'm not goign to wear skin tight jeans... or some couat that looks like a cape. I'm a lawyer and I simply can't wear that to work (not that I want to, of course). Most people are restricted in how they dress b/c of work, functionality, or financial means, in addition to creativity.

 

Blogger mrtwice said ... (4:27 PM) : 

I'm also surprised how race gets into this, it's either you like the pic or not. As they also say "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder".Personally I don't dig this pic just like some before it. But hey, no big deal.

Keep up the good work Sart. BTW i'm black.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:32 PM) : 

Oh goodness, this is not a nice outfit. I know you do not think it's a nice outfit Scott.
I am a black man, and the problem with posting this pic is that you do not often have black people posted on this site and so, this man can look like "the unique black man" post and that's not so cool.I know you didnt mean any harm by it, but that's how it looks.

Energie

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (4:35 PM) : 

for designgod

someday soon i will do a GQ page from Harlem and one of these guys will be included.

You seem to forget the diversity i had on my GQ page from the Kanye concert.

Just to let you know, this man is a deacon at a church. I don't know why i think that is interesting but i think it is.

 

Blogger Shaynuh said ... (4:36 PM) : 

Omg! Some people are actually questioning the "diversity" on "this" blog?...If so, you haven't been on "this" blog, long enough! lol!

fyi:I'm African-american too! :-)

 

Blogger Jonathan said ... (4:43 PM) : 

Great discussion today.

This is not my style by any call, but I do like the look. The long jacket and over size shoulders give it a waist coat feel that I really like. If he would tailor those pants and add a pair of two-tone bucks he'd have a winner.

 

Blogger J.A.F. said ... (5:17 PM) : 

You know you have succeeded when a posted image can induce this much dissent. I see a person with incredible style.

Your last post has now brought everything into perspective. It is the season of Advent in the Christian Church. The third sunday before Christmas is typcially marked by the color rose or pink. It's quite possible he is celebrating his faith in this way.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:30 PM) : 

Love the colors.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:38 PM) : 

Sart, you can make a fashion wrong right. Sometimes, that bold shot of color is all you need to make a statement.

I'm not the first to say it, but it bears repeating: more than anything else, real style is all about having complete confidence in your appearance. This man has it, and it makes for a great photo. I love this shot for all sorts of reasons (the contrasts, the lighting, the composition) but mostly because it makes a pale pink suit on a cold winter morning seem like the only sensible thing to wear.

Not being an American, I can't really comment on the cultural context of this image, but I can't help but think that many of this gent's critics are being a teensy bit elitist. We all expect to see the vanguard of fashion on these pages, but what marks the Sartorialist out from the rest of the fashion pack are those pictures of ordinary people from all over the world, enjoying their favorite clothes with pride and panache. I could be wrong, but seems to me that these images are the ones that always draw the fiercest criticism.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:40 PM) : 

...that is funny, he is a candy ! You need balls to were that.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:16 PM) : 

I need that jacket fabric. My lord, what an incredible princess-line dress that would make.... *o*

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:25 PM) : 

Sart,

This is amazing that a picture is truly worth a 1000 or more words. As I said before I love the site I log on everyday because I love that you shoot folks that are individuals. This man is truly an individual. But the photo is uncomfortable to me personally, so I realized the fault is not with you or the photo but with how I feel about the photo based on personal history. Style is a very subjective thing. From reading the reactions of others I realize that what I am reacting to is the fact that I am interested in seeing more folks that look like me and being as inspired by them as I am your other subjects.
Let the Great Debate continue.

Kudos keep doing your thing,

Not So Mad Man

 

Blogger Fly Girl said ... (6:56 PM) : 

LOL! I can't believe that his photo has inspired such deep discussion! As it was mentioned before, you will see men of a certain generation, dressed like this in any African American mecca. It really is not that unusual. I understand why Sart chose this shot, the color and the background wall are fresh, even if the suit isn't. I'm African American and I don't think this is an offensive or embarrassing photo. It's just a particular cultural style that may not be all that stylish but so what? I think the guy displays a lot of personality and confidence. That he's a deacon is not a shocker either. This is a popular style among the male church folk. Advent doesn't really have anything to do with it, you'll find this color in a pew all year round but it's an interesting analysis.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:04 PM) : 

Hey, all you snobs. I'd love to have this guy to my dinner party. What, do you only invite people who dress like you do? He looks like a lot of fun and I'd love to hear him talk.

 

Blogger seditionaire said ... (7:16 PM) : 

I am quite aghast at the assumptions and accusations that have flown around here. Firstly to all of you saying that this pic has no "value" in terms of style...that is an INCREDIBLY presumptuous statement to make... you assume that everyone around the worls has a intimate knowledge of bold colours and prints and how to put them together. Maybe for those of you living in NYC a look like this would cause you to roll your eyes, but to many people it is inspiring. To see a gent such as this one pulling off a colour as bold as this and, as someone mentioned, still look this masculine... maybe that'll move some guy in a suburb somewhere to whip out that pink shirt he once bought but thought he couldn't pull off and throw it on under a vest or a suit and have a little extra srping in his step that day! How wonderful that Sart has done this...has opened up personal style to everyone around the world... for all to gather inspiration form... depicting images of stylish individuals, I would always with respect and reverence... There is few images on this site ( and I believe in Sart's opinion NO images) that are not here because there is SOMETHING inspiring about the look put together and that goes from Auntie May in Idaho to Anna Wintour!

I love it Sart...keep em coming!!

PS and thanks to Evelynne for taking the time to prove that point! ;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:28 PM) : 

You're very intelligent. Did you post this to turn black males off? Do you want blacks to stop viewing you blog? Did you want to offend black men so they will stop viewing for inspiration?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:30 PM) : 

I am so offended and hurt by this post. You know that this is a joke. You're very smart. If he walked into Berg or Barn no one will acknowledge him. I am so disappointed in you.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:37 PM) : 

This man looks completely content with how he looks. It's a beautiful day and he's happy. What more could you ask for?
It's not how I would dress if I was male, but that's not the point of this blog. Sart tries to show us what people all over are wearing and he definitely succeeds at showing us the diversity out there. The composition, the lighting and the background are great and this picture, regardless of whether you like the outfit, is wonderful.

Everyone needs to chill a little. This blog shows a wide variety of people wearing many many styles of clothing. The pictures are always interesting and beautiful and no one is trying to insult any race. It's a photo people, don't get too upset.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:09 PM) : 

i dont think the sart took this picture to make him some kind of spectacle or novelty, as many of you, esp, black males are saying. sart takes pics of ppl with various proportions, color sense all the time. i have seen black men on here with "GQ" styled suits...and their own way of wearing it. also,there have been many times when i see an outfit i wouldn't wear but thikn that person wears well and appreciate it. so, why can't sart document something he wouldnt wear?

 

Blogger Glen Antoine Palmer said ... (8:11 PM) : 

I appreciate the effort, but that is just too much pink on that large of a guy. Suit jacket is just way too big and his cuff break seems to be dragging the ground.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:18 PM) : 

I love to know that Sart. reads the comments.

It makes this blog seem more personal and interactive,

thanks Scott!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:20 PM) : 

I am invisible, understand, simply because people refuse to see me
-Ralph Ellison

This man is clearly dressed to be noticed. Sart, thanks for the lens.

 

Blogger Paul said ... (8:30 PM) : 

Something entrancing about this...I can't take my eyes off of it.

 

Blogger Milt-fresh_best-dressed said ... (9:01 PM) : 

once again this is where the battle between conservitaive vs flashy dressed gentlemen comes into play. Yes this look is apitomy and the stereo type of black culture!!!! However, there are blackmen who are conservative. I for one do dress this way. Many think this look is more of a costome or a clown suit. However this style is art om canvis. It takes balls for a man to wear an abundance of color. Because the average man will be self conscous that he looks like a huge crayon. But when a person can do it and not care about what the masses feel, that's true style. Not FASHION, STYLE!!!! Which is what people need to embrace more of. I mean people give so much credit to the men of paris, for taking risks. If this suit was on a man fom paris and rhe suit was tailored to fit bespokish and the shoes were tod drivers, this would be a sartorial go!!!! Better yet if Ozwald or Nanna boteng did this you would love it. Any way I dig it!!!!! FuZz!!!!

 

Blogger Clams said ... (9:57 PM) : 

I love this. He looks happy. He should, he looks amazing!. I strongly believe in individuality. If everyone conformed to the standard then this world would be boring. This makes me happy. I'm glad the your keeping in real Sart. In every aspect.

AFL,

Clams

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:01 PM) : 

I agree, this blog is about STYLE not just fashion.

I've seen tons of stuff on this blog that I personally think looks like junk, but I understand that people have different taste. I think many of the readers offended by this image have a huge chip on their shoulder.

And YES I WOULD invite this guy to my dinner party.

 

Blogger redcatbiker said ... (10:31 PM) : 

I feel sorry for the man in the pink suit. He kindly allowed himself to be photographed and have his photo posted on this very popular blog (which has 1,723 followers and 17,079 subscribers), so a lot of eyeballs are going to see his photo. I feel sorry for him because most of the black commenters, and the only commenters to do so, are putting him down and being downright mean towards him and ridiculing him, all because he is dressed in what some of you consider to be a typical "black middle-aged going-to-church" outfit. There is this collective, particularly from the black middle class (?) commenters here, attitude that blacks like him do not deserve attention and respect; that only the blacks who conform to a standard that does not announce, and transcends, their poor or working class background deserve to posted here on this blog.

 

Blogger southerngentinL.A. said ... (10:37 PM) : 

Alrighty then! Black man chimin' in here. I'm not offended as some of my other brothers are here. I think you and I are about the same age, Sart. But I'm neither inspired nor am I made warm and fuzzy with fond memories. One can go to any black neighborhood on Sunday and see a similar look somewhere. And I have to say it ....done better! But hey if that's how my man rolls then that's how he rolls therefore...he's legit! I have noticed however while enjoying this blog that a good many non-black people tend to feel the "style" of black men needs to center around flashiness and eccentricity rather than good taste. Just as black comedy tends to be more popular the more bufoonish the comedian is. At any rate it is a fun post Sart.

 

Blogger admin said ... (10:43 PM) : 

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:05 PM) : 

You guys are too serious...
I think this dude has a sense of humor and he's actually enjoying himself... and that's all that counts.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:19 AM) : 

I'm sorry, but some of the previous posts here seem to have an idealized image of what "good/chic" is. Just because this doesn't fall within your taste range doesn't mean that it's not anymore well done. Satorialist, keep posting these finds, as people will start to see that their Vogue/GQ magazines aren't the only stop in terms of style and if they don't, they'll just never understand from their funneled vision. Back to the zoot suit, the attention to detail is impeccable.

 

Blogger leilani.e said ... (12:24 AM) : 

to CK Dexter Haven, and those who assume only a black guy could carry this off, or that it's some form of stereotype;

No white man would dress like this?
Just for the record, I have photos of a friend of mine dressed up in a similar suit, down to the stripes and baggy tailoring. It was for an evening event a few years a go. He carried it off quite well, in spite of being a very white, Canadian/Greek/mixed race kid.
Admittedly he's a pretty loud guy to begin with. Pink is a brash colour. Just saying, all it took was confidence, and a long debate about which tie and pair of shoes to work this look.

Clothes are clothes, style is style. Race has very little to do with it. Background, cultural influence, yes - not race in and of itself. Your skin's pigmentation has nothing to do with style beyond how clothes look against skin tone. Please relax people.

Bravo to the Sartorialist on his further post; he explained why that shot was meaningful, what the abstractions were behind it.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:07 AM) : 

Kudos to you, sart.
I agree with the previous poster noting how personal this blog is made to be since you read the comments.
Keep up the good work!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:11 AM) : 

the great thing about this post is that sart, who seems to be a kid from the 70's as myself, has not let the current aesthetic override his ability to be objective and open minded. fashion is not one thing; and as we all know, much of the inspiration for the biggest fashion shows come from guys like this doing their thing (see dsquared 09 spring). Im a black man myself and I know that sometimes it can be hard to recognize true admiration versus mockery however, i feel that sart has put up enough well dressed black dudes to give him the benefit of the doubt. I've seen plenty of men on here rockin things that I would never wear but the if the idea is to capture not necessarily only the textiles but the intangible qualities of the moment then sart has and continues to do an exceptional job of bringing us the truest expressions of fashion...besides this dude is cleaner than the board of health and if you know anyone like this, you know that it doesn't matter what he has on because he thinks he's the freshest thing out; kinda like an old kanye

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:16 AM) : 

Awesome photograph. The composition of the pristine gentleman amidst the graffitied storefronts is lovely.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:33 AM) : 

I can see all sides to this argument.

There are three pictures before this that display a very sophisticated and tasteful male style. Then there is this one, and while it's eccentric and bold, it seems like it could be conveying a Black stereotype ("pimp-ish"). It might be a different situation if the suit had been tailored.

HOWEVER, Sart does post pictures of people from all different walks of life (including dapper black men and gorgeous black woman). So this shouldn't be about race. It's about this man's confidence, as well as the influence this style had on Sart.

What the Harlem man chooses to wear shouldn't be seen as a reflection on an entire race of people. Obviously the world knows how much style exists in Black culture.

 

Blogger ERman said ... (3:51 AM) : 

Lol. H.E.A.V.E.N

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:46 AM) : 

wonderful. Can't believe all the negative comments- this guy dares to be different, but he still cares about how he looks 100%- you don't wear that kind of outfit without thinking about it long and hard...he's amazing, he brightens up my day, and I imagine he's the kind of guy you'd walk by in the street and you'd just smile on seeing him, and that's a great thing to be able to do with fashion. That's what it's all about at the end of the day- making people happy, no matter how great the tailoring, how 'in' the trends, how wearable, etc....

Fashion is here to enjoy...so enjoy it.

 

Blogger TMFA said ... (6:44 AM) : 

Haha, great great. Some people just can handle that look.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:05 AM) : 

Just a friendly word of advice.

You can buy fashion, but you cannot buy style.

And if you think you are better off following a fashion, than developing your own style I wish you the best of luck but please do not try to stifle those who choose a different approach.

That said I would like to thank Mr. Schumann for the inspiration he has provided up to date. Especially also for those pictures (like this one) that reminds one to really live your own style, even if some people might have reservations about it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:53 AM) : 

I second Ananymous who said:
"I love it! More people like him, less fashion industry people, please."

and to the person who said:
"if he showed up to my dinner party like this, i'd be embarrassed."
you need a smack around the head - if you've invited someone to a dinner party it should be because they are an interesting person - not so you can show off to your friends that you know people who dress in a way you approve of - I'm shocked!

He has taken time and effort to put together a look that he is happy with - I think he looks amazing - compared to those idiots with too-short trousers he is a king!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:59 AM) : 

My favourite posts on the Sartorialist, including this one, are not focused on the 'classically' chic or stylish, or even the au courant-fashionable, but on styles that reflect individuality, a personal twist on a convention, etc. There have been heaps of posts here that aren't necessarily to everyone's tastes but show a cool or arrestingly individual ensemble. For someone who does not live in the States, and doesn't get a lot of the racial debate this stirred up, this image is striking for the man's attention to detail, the pride and the confidence it embodies. To me, this is an image of somebody who cares about clothes, and assembles their style for the pleasure of it - that is what sartorialism is all about. Thanks!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:27 AM) : 

this made me smile... ive been on long flights and in transit for 2 days. now in my office, checking my fave blog, and what do i see.../ loooove this, his smile/attitude/the outfit... love the discussion its generated

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:52 AM) : 

How could anyone be offended by this pic? As a Black Woman, I love this pic. And if you are regular, you would know this is not tht only black pics he shows.

Has anyone seen the pics of those gorgeous young twins he occasionally shows?????

Wake up people, this is fashion. I love this blog.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:54 AM) : 

I love this man's "zoot" suit, and I think its awesome that he's willing to take such a big fashion risk. Yes,to people who are used to having everything fitted to the T, the proportions of this suit will look insane, but for this style of suit Mr. Pink is right on the money. Before you judge the proportions first take into consideration that there are many styles and cuts of suit/pant/skirt/dress/shirt/jacket.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:43 PM) : 

I love that suit :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:22 PM) : 

This man is gorgeous. It's his clothes and his demeanour. He radiates generosity, humour, genuine goodwill and acceptance of himself and others. He loves life. The reference to Cab Calloway is intelligent and joyful. I would love to meet him.

 

Blogger twelve.dollar.soup said ... (4:59 PM) : 

I think this post is a tremendous breath of fresh air. How is this man any more clownish than some of the people photographed in Moscow? (the woman with the crazy sculptured hair comes to mind) I find him quite stylish, and acknowledging this kind of style on this blog (which normally focuses on younger, more "traditional" fashionistas, often models or fashion editors) is truly refreshing and further expands on the notion of what style is, and what it can encompass. Confidence and a discerning eye don't just belong to people who hang out in SoHo or Milan, nor to those who abide by a "less-is-more," tailored aesthetic.

As someone mentioned, he's wearing pink because it's Advent.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:45 PM) : 

You see what you want to see.

Anyone who would accuse this blog of not being diverse, or perpetuating some kind of stereotypes, clearly doesn't know this blog well. Go back and look through all the pics starting from Oct 2005.

It also seems that many people have chosen to forget that this is a picture of a REAL man, in HIS own suit. Ya'll got hangups, but HE sure doesn't. He deserves to be featured on this blog just as much any other.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:46 AM) : 

i love what you see in people, its inspiring.

 

Blogger jane m. said ... (4:28 AM) : 

Impeccable is the word that came to my mind and my lips. I adore this.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:38 AM) : 

This man deserves a medal!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:10 AM) : 

When did one black guy start representing all blacks. Maybe you guys should check out Scott's shots from the Kanye concert. Yeah I am not a hugh fan of the guys suit, but I love the colors. And yes I am please Scott shot him.

 

Blogger Nicole Y said ... (1:50 PM) : 

I'm just glad that you took this shot so that people from different parts of the world who wouldn't ever get to see this sort of style have the opportunity to!

Anyway, who's to say where different people draw their inspirations from? It may not be perfect, but he is doing the best he can, and what if it's just exactly the way he wanted it?
He looks very pleased with himself and I'm pleased to see this being posted. =)

It would be boring if all that the Sart posted were perfect outfits anyway.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:49 PM) : 

There have been several finely dressed black men on this site, in well tailored suits, in grays and browns and blues. I don't think that criticism is fair at all.

He should ignore this man because he fulfills some stereotype? Poppycosh. We all know Sart loves bright colors, and this guy is rocking them. If a white girl were wearing such colors, he would photograph her too, don't you think?

If Sart only photographed stuff he could wear personally, and exactly, there wouldn't be many photographs on this site.

 

Blogger Caroline, No. said ... (5:55 AM) : 

I am so surprised by the comments to this photo.

I was absolutely delighted by it. The man has taken pride in his appearance, and you an see that in his comportment in the photo.

Isn't that what this blog is supposed to be about? Street style?

Perhaps it is familiarity that is breeding the contempt. I am from London and have never seen anybody dress like this and so find it quite thrilling.

Don't patronise this man with your own pre-conceptions.

As for the other incredibly stylish black men that Sart has posted: from the top of my head I can remember Andre from Outkast, the lego belt designers, that incredible chameleon-like stylist that he has featured a few times, a guy dressed almost like Grace Jones in a crazy geometric space-age outfit...

And that is off the top of my head in three seconds.

 

Blogger Carlotta said ... (9:20 AM) : 

graaaaande!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:13 PM) : 

Do I personally like his suit? Nope. But I LOVE his obvious love of colour and confidence to wear whatever the hell he likes and that to me makes this outfit a "do".

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:29 PM) : 

adorable!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:50 AM) : 

Two comments:

This jacket doesn't look like it would be a comfortable garment (with buttons closed) in the sitting position.

In springtime, I am usually over-joyed to get out of all of the dark colors which dominate my winter wardrobe, and to wear brights and pastels again. This chap doesn't have to wait for spring.

 

Blogger Hester said ... (4:41 AM) : 

Wow. I stumbled upon this picture just after the end of a cricket test match in Sydney where the crowd all wore pink - men included! - in honour of one of the cricketer's wives. Jane McGrath died of breast cancer six months ago. Vale Jane, and Viva Pink on men!
Love the long jacket and the sharp creases in the pants. Who was that who said he needs an iron? Clearly has one - or a devoted spouse attending to it at home! :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:57 PM) : 

Hey! I have some African in me - as a matter of fact, I'm considered Black in the US even though I'm a mixture of three different races - and I'm not offended by the photo at all. I find it kind of humorous because I know guy's that dress like this - I grew up in the African-American community.

I don't think the Sartorialist was trying to portray Black people as fools or poor dressers. Some people in the African-American community do dress like this guy. And, there's nothing with wrong that nor is there need to be offended by this fact.

Anyway, regarding the man's outfit: While it's not something I'd personally wear, he does seem to enjoy it. And, it doesn't look clownish on him.

About the only criticism I have of the outfit is that the guy should have the pants altered to half-break on his shoes.

People with light brown to black complexions can take strong colours, without getting washed out by them. However, if a light peach to milk coloured complexion were to try this it would overpower them. This is why most clothing designed by those of predominately European descent tend to be in neutral colours - Southern Europe and the Mediterranean being the exception, of course.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:37 PM) : 

this guy made me smile. like him :)

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting