This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street.....Remember Him?, NYC

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, February 11, 2008

On the Street.....Remember Him?, NYC


Comments on "On the Street.....Remember Him?, NYC"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:28 AM) : 

Very sexy. Singular

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:31 AM) : 

cute. simply cute.

 

Blogger Paul Pincus said ... (9:37 AM) : 

This is so cool. His gloves are really beautiful...everything works here. His happiness is infectious!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:38 AM) : 

He reminds me of a garden knowm. Or Santa!
I love it

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:48 AM) : 

He looks so safe in those warm fabrics. I like his round shoes and pants that are purposely short, and his little hat too. I want to put him in my pocket as a luckycharm.

 

Blogger Laguna Beach Fogey said ... (9:49 AM) : 

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:28 AM) : 

I think the hats make these two outfits... it makes me want to see a summer shot. I think I'm in love with him!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:33 AM) : 

I LOVE him!! Two great pics, Sart!

 

Blogger AB Complementos said ... (10:43 AM) : 

Wonderful!

 

Blogger sanecommunications said ... (10:45 AM) : 

wow dressed sooo perfect for the winter in NYC and you know that come the summer Mr right hand man of the USA's finest sartorial export Mr Lauren ... will be wearing the garments to provide us again with another perfect heritage meets east coast meets mid west combo ... he's my sartorial hero and i hope when i get to his age i still care, but don't come across contrived .... just enthusiastic and genuine ... heres to the man !

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:53 AM) : 

I love the richness of his jacket in the top photo. It pops against the color of his pants and gloves. What a wonderful, earthy pallete!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:01 AM) : 

soooooooo not getting this

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:04 AM) : 

What great personal style, esp. the first photo. Subtle yet eye-catching. Placing him in front of that wall is pure genius. The colors pop; the textures pop. Another example of your amazing eye and talent for composition.

 

Blogger steph said ... (11:17 AM) : 

Thanks for the comparison shot. He comes at this with no less precision than Mr. I should give up now and that for me, really is the point.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:28 AM) : 

I love everything, specially the smile

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:39 AM) : 

Great shots--the patched chinos are cool. Can't help but think that it looks like he was plucked from a lobster-fishing boat in Maine.

 

Blogger AL Boy said ... (11:52 AM) : 

his first pic/story is what got me really into this blog, he is a lucky man.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:52 AM) : 

I really like the boot laces that contrast the boots. and the contrasting sleeve cuff.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:53 AM) : 

This is the Webster dictionary definition of the word VAGRANT: 1. one who has no established residence and wanders idly from place to place without lawful or visible means of support
2. one (as a prostitute or drunkard) whose conduct constitutes statutory
LAGUNA BEACH TRAD is you have one ounce of dignity you will recant.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:54 AM) : 

In reply to laguna beach trad's comment: He is not a vagrant you ignorant dumbshit.

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (11:55 AM) : 

He works for Ralph Lauren, right?
Great individual style and infectious enthusiasm!

 

Blogger Anne Corrons said ... (12:21 PM) : 

Oh, very different looks! Both are great anyway!

 

Blogger Mitchell Weiss said ... (12:28 PM) : 

LBT, your are completely out of line. On a different note, I love the first photograph. The gloves are beautiful, and the ensemble is cohesive.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:18 PM) : 

He is absolutely sure of himself,he is not cool in a knowing way, but only because he doesn´t seem to care.He is not showing off anything, just being himself. Reminds me of my own dad.
His clothes look worn but in a good way. He looks really good.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:20 PM) : 

downright hugable!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:30 PM) : 

endearing. :)

 

Blogger FSK said ... (1:41 PM) : 

he's ever so cute!!!I love his style.. i can picture him in overalls also.

 

Blogger Francois said ... (1:48 PM) : 

Oh yes, wasn't he a designer or something like that. Good example of finding one's style and keeping it. Does this mean that NY is becoming to small for the sartorialist?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:49 PM) : 

I have beard envy...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:53 PM) : 

I like the earlier photo much better because of the colors and worn in quality of the clothes.

and what did LBT say?

 

Blogger Laurence John said ... (2:04 PM) : 

very timeless clothes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:08 PM) : 

One of my favorites. His story kept me coming back to this blog. Nice to see him again. He has true style.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:22 PM) : 

"That's the guy that heads Ralph Lauren's vintage department."
- November 27, 2006

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:26 PM) : 

Nothing to do with this guy (although I agree he's charming) - but don't you have Spring in Manhattan yet? It's freezing but bright in London, and I saw the first bare tanned legs of the season on Saturday.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:44 PM) : 

The buyer guy, I remember him well! Loved the first photo, love the new one even more. Great colors.

 

Blogger no name said ... (2:44 PM) : 

Charles Bukowski Style.

 

Blogger Dorothy Cheng said ... (3:16 PM) : 

He is absolutely beautiful. The colors, the beard, the joyous smile, the wonderfully supple-looking gloves...

I love it!

 

Blogger Kimberly Pye said ... (3:38 PM) : 

Ohmigosh! I love this!

He looks like he changed on the inside, too. Something very good happened to him, and he's very grateful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:48 PM) : 

What a rock solid sense of self this guy has. Inspiring! Is Grandpa adoption legal?

 

Blogger Richard said ... (3:58 PM) : 

The top photo is okay, though I would add some length to his pants. The second picture is great if you want to look like a hobo. Not my cup of tea.

 

Blogger artoftime said ... (4:44 PM) : 

Doug Bihlmaier - a fantastic beacon of individualistic style and taste - a wonderful soul and excellent friend to so many in the Vintage industry. His look has elicited decades of success at Polo. Not to mention is BRILLIANCE as a designer of interiors and rooms.
Bravo!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:48 PM) : 

He's wonderful.

I do wish people would refrain from describing older men and women as "cute." It's so patronizing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:50 PM) : 

I love him.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:59 PM) : 

I know this isn't a fashion related comment, but he's so adorable!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:15 PM) : 

Interestingly enough, his boots on the first pic are by JCrew, made by Red Wing. I bought a pair, and although not cheap, they are worth the money. I wonder if RL does not make a similar boot... Love both pics, though. Easy style that most of us strive for

 

Blogger sean said ... (5:58 PM) : 

he bought all the furnishings, antiques, etc seen in all the ralph lauren stores, right?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:04 PM) : 

I remember him, he has my ideal job, working for RL buying vintage goods from around the world. What a life. Great photos, and style. But what would Ralph say about him wearing Jcrew x redwing boots?

 

Blogger suzannemarques said ... (6:26 PM) : 

i want a fun grandpa like that 2.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:09 PM) : 

santa in the off season. very cute

 

Blogger J Voltaire said ... (9:46 PM) : 

what an endearing & charming man! I love the color palette of the first picture. I also love his worn out shoes. He could be friends with the Charmer #2 (http://bp0.blogger.com/_qjpwnPW4c1o/R6HKDvOHXqI/AAAAAAAAC5U/JedW9nt8sl4/s1600-h/Italo.jpg)

 

Blogger MELI. said ... (11:53 PM) : 

iwish he was my uncle. what a happy person :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:56 AM) : 

Jcrew happens to carry red wing boots, but red wing boots are not exclusively JCrew -- they've been around forever. I think they are cool in that "factory worker from the 1930's" kind of way.

 

Blogger lorrwill said ... (1:16 AM) : 

Dude has his on thing going on and he's rockin' it. Props for his individual style - he certainly has a well divined vision of what he wants the world to see.
I think I'm a tad bit jealous.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:06 AM) : 

Gorgeous jacket in the first pic. Love his whole look there. The shoes compliment the jacket, and the gloves with the pants. His face seems to glow as well.

Someone mentioned that it looks like an internal change has occured from the original pic to the more recent one.....maybe he quit smoking?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:21 AM) : 

Sart -- I hope you put that second photo in your gallery show. It is New York City and one could write a dissertation on what the photo says.

Brilliant.

Oh! And I like this man's style, too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:57 AM) : 

:)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:58 AM) : 

Have something to aspire to now - as am addicted to your blog. Please can we see more of 50 something women.

g

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:01 AM) : 

In picture #2, I am drawn to the background. What the WW II vet (I assume) is wearing. Also, the guy with the wide brim hat, blue shirt and orange tie...looks like he's trying to get Sart to take HIS picture.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:38 PM) : 

i love him from casual to formal. he reminds me of a salty maine fisherman.
the accessories in his "formal" pic are what kill me - the hat, scarf, satchel, gloves = perfect!
i also love the length of his cords!
adorable.

 

Blogger KT said ... (12:52 PM) : 

I think this guy has my dream job. I sure would love to go thru his warehouse of vintage stuff...
I love seeing people, no longer in their salad days looking excellent! I get so tired of seeing middle aged people look like crap.

I love the patches on the pants. He's my hero.

 

Blogger wilsonreps said ... (5:28 PM) : 

this is the store dresser guy right? his style is so effortless.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:11 PM) : 

d!!!! you look like a rockstar!!!!!!!!! xoxoxoxo man of style....!!!!!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:30 PM) : 

he is indeed the RL guy..and he has the most beautiful taste ever. and it's also nice to know that he is a lovely, kind person. if you think he looks cool (and he does) you should see his car. i love his authenticity - a rare thing to see - but Sart does a beautiful job of finding these gems.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:58 PM) : 

i wish he was my friend. this guy rules! understatement, style, indelible...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:28 AM) : 

to answer someone above- definitely not spring yet! i'm west of the city adn we have snow and freezing rain! i agree with another above- he reminds me a little a Maine fisherman! i really like it though, his outfits make me think he has some great stories to tell.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:00 AM) : 

got the number (n)ine look spot on. (i wonder if he shops there..)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:37 PM) : 

Why can't I come up with ideas like this? Its sort of "homeless chic." Brilliant.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:33 PM) : 

AHH! I love this guy! I am so excited that you shot him again!

Ellie D

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:50 PM) : 

I LOVE that man!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:20 AM) : 

Ahhhh! Men like him :) They make fashion fun. I love this guy. He looks like Santa on a happy trip.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:41 AM) : 

Dear Sart,

In my most recent correspondence about meeting you at your show
I said that you were my new mentor but if the recent comments are to be believed, this gentleman, Doug Bihlmaier(?), is! If he has been the vintage buyer for Polo for years and a good guy I think I have to meet him and learn. I suspect we may have karmic business together.

Thanks for the follow up picture, he looks so much healthier and much less homeless.

the Men's Vintage Connoisseur

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:31 PM) : 

I love this photo. The rich colors colors really add to his infectious and garden gnome-esque smile.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:51 PM) : 

You've gotta love the whimiscal!

 

Blogger Dill Pickles said ... (11:09 PM) : 

The first outfit is fantastic as is the picture. I must say I love the pant length; it just looks right with these slightly wider pants. The color combination is magnificent and it all looks so, as somebody said earlier, effortless.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:28 PM) : 

He's one of my favorites----an inspiration to individual style!

 

Blogger Yi said ... (5:07 AM) : 

now that's what i call style.. i'm sure he shops at second hand shops and doesn't even think of what he'll look like but he looks uber stylish!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:06 PM) : 

This is a guy named Doug Bilmaier. I worked with him back in the 80's and we were the original stylists who worked with Ralph developing all the looks for showrooms, stores and ad campaigns. Doug's a seriously talented guy........ and super nice.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:47 AM) : 

I worked with him in the '80s as well! When Polo was still in that weird little walk-up at 40 W 55th...

After all these years, so many unforgettable characters there, but Doug is in a league of his own. We went on many adventures together.

 

Blogger Cheri said ... (10:37 PM) : 

I also had the privilege of working with Doug for many years. Couldn't get him out of my mind today, and this is where I found him! Captured as his easy, tweedy, bearded self! Miss you man!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:34 AM) : 

I remember Doug growing up in Osborne County, KS. He has not changed one bit from high school.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:57 PM) : 

Oddly enough, I just spotted Doug 2 days ago, at the Polo shop on Prince and Mott! I hadn't seen him in almost 15 years till the spotting in the Sartorialist, and now in 3-D.

 

Anonymous james arthur tancred said ... (12:54 PM) : 

If this guy's look is vaguelly deliberate - he has style, which would bear out the maxim that you can't buy it - you either have it or you don't!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:50 AM) : 

Hobo chic? No, this isn't working at all.

 

Anonymous Anah Grace Childe said ... (3:20 PM) : 

This is my Idea of Being. Come to me, anahgracechilde@att.net NOW.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting