This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Fashion Above the Neck, New York

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Fashion Above the Neck, New York

This look is really about focus. This young lady knows that the drama of her look is in her asymmetrical haircut, strong contrasting eyebrows, bubblegum pink Chanel lipstick and her quirky tomboy hat.

Let's not forget that clothes can be just a distracting as they are alluring, and by keeping her clothes very simple she's creating a clear "take-away" statement for the viewer.

The more I do this blog the more I believe that great hair and well choosen accessories can be the raison d'être for a whole look.

Remember this young lady from Savannah? I do.

Her sexy, shaggy cut created a mysteriousness about her (something I see often in France - I think French girls in particular are very good at this). Again, by keeping the fashion simple she has created a very strong and concise fashion message.

Were I a young lady I would easily spend as much on a good haircut/styling as I would on a Celine dress - after all, it's something you wear every day.

In fact, if it's a really good cut, you can also wear it in a variety of ways - not always the case with clothing.

Comments on "Fashion Above the Neck, New York"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:50 AM) : 

I love the way you write. And agree with everything you'd said above.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:00 AM) : 

look so gorgeous!

 

Anonymous Lee Oliveira said ... (10:01 AM) : 

Perfection! These ladies are fenomenal
Lee x
http://leeoliveira.com

 

Anonymous s said ... (10:02 AM) : 

Loooove these pics...
They have amazing look... love ;)



STREET LIFE: New CHANEL BOOTS AW 11-12
http://magmoiselle.fr

 

Blogger Copper Etiquette said ... (10:04 AM) : 

I love the first hair cut
Http://www.copperetiquette.com
SHOP DRESSES

 

Blogger Rachel said ... (10:05 AM) : 

Lovely... just lovely

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:07 AM) : 

i like second photo's hair.
Don't you have a plan "hair recommend for boy/man"???

 

Blogger Nomadic D. said ... (10:13 AM) : 

Agreed! Though I do think that good fashion investments should be versatile too.

http://nomadic-d.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:18 AM) : 

i am a hairdresser Great hair is everything I can make an older women look 20 yr younger I like hair to be sexy and timeless Also color & finish is just as important as the cut

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:22 AM) : 

i completely agree with whatever you've just said.

and i think i'm gonna do something about my hair. ha!

 

Blogger Camilla L. said ... (10:26 AM) : 

I love the first one..

If you wanna see something new, come to see my new personal blog..

http://bonton-camilla.blogspot.com/

Have a nice day

 

Blogger Crafty said ... (10:29 AM) : 

I hear Altered Images in my head and smell Halston perfume when I look at this. Very nice indeed!

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (10:30 AM) : 

I totally agree on hair as an important elemnt. Hair is the most abused element of style. Too many women equate 'good hair' with long hair. The cut and style and overall quality of both should not be underestimated.

 

Anonymous Maggie said ... (10:32 AM) : 

And on that note... I'm going to put my tax refund towards a great haircut. I've been feeling like I need one for sure, I have one picked out, and all I have to do is figure out where to go. Your words have moved me to pick a more upscale place than where I've gone in the past.

 

Anonymous THis is Belgium said ... (10:35 AM) : 

Second foto shows a Longchamp bag ... a French statement for its own right.
I do not quite understand what you mean by 'take away' statement...
I like the way she looks with the exception of the contrasting hair -eyebrows.. I have never liked that on anyone.. it must be me :-)

 

Blogger Yajaira said ... (10:38 AM) : 

i love the hat look - in for summer

 

Anonymous Sappho said ... (10:38 AM) : 

I love the first photo, although I think her purse is a tiny bit fussy for the overall look. But I agree that hair and accessories can turn a fairly basic outfit into anything you want.

 

Anonymous SarahV said ... (10:41 AM) : 

I totally agree: on some people it's not all about the clothes...
And I love natural and healthy looking hair like the girl in the second pic! The girl in the first pic has very striking features :)

http://leblogdecitadine.wordpress.com

 

Blogger Project Curve said ... (10:41 AM) : 

i so agree with what you said about the haircut.evenn if i will do dyi things for the rest of my body i won't cringe to spend a good amount on my hair in a parlour.and i always get compliments on my hair!
http://flysongbirdblogspot.com

 

Blogger agatazamorska said ... (10:48 AM) : 

loveeee

 

Anonymous The Bohmerian said ... (10:48 AM) : 

I totally agree! Besides hair and accessories really brings out the individual personalities.

theBohmerian.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:50 AM) : 

I agree on the simplicity. Thank you for pointing that out with the hair being the focus. Sometimes you point things out to me that I would have not noticed as much if you would not have pointed it out. I have the book of your photo's as well. I really appreciate your input on fashion and the photos you take.

 

Anonymous Becka said ... (10:53 AM) : 

great post--could you perhaps focus on interesting hair styles in the future? curly hair would be nice--it gets difficult to pick a versatile cut...

 

Blogger vístete que vienen curvas said ... (10:55 AM) : 

me encanta el primer look!

eli
http://vistetequevienencurvas.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:56 AM) : 

I love these two girls, and completely agree with you about the impact of a good hairstyle and accessories.
I get a new hair cut every september to make sure that I stay fresh, and can find interesting ways to make my hair look like I get it done every day!

X Zoe X
http://intrepidinspirations.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Kacie - With Love said ... (11:01 AM) : 

Great post and great point. You recently posted a photo of your friend with a chic hairdo and a simple slouchy dress. Since then I've been putting WAY more effort into my hairstyles. I'm a new mom and my clothes either don't fit quite right or I can't breastfeed in them so I'm wearing a lot of simple black! I was feeling frumpy but now I'm styling up my makeup and hair and I feel great! Thanks!

Kacie
www.acollectionofpassions.blogspot.com

 

Blogger The Sluice Box said ... (11:01 AM) : 

Amazing what a touch of calm restraint can do for a look.

www.thesluicebox.com

 

Blogger CDC said ... (11:03 AM) : 

great perspective and apt observations - still the reason why this place remains a go-to for me. a reminder to book my next hair appointment, too!

 

Blogger My Fashion Bug said ... (11:04 AM) : 

wow! never tought of that, maybe i'll spend some in a new hair cut! Good point!
xx
My Fashion Bug

 

Blogger g+m said ... (11:05 AM) : 

That's exactly true--when I made the conscious decision to care more about my overall style, the first thing to go was my hair.

 

Blogger thwany said ... (11:05 AM) : 

the hair in the first picture is absolute perfection.

 

Blogger Alessandra Mazzini said ... (11:08 AM) : 

i would love to have a pretty hair...it is so damage because of the iron :(

http://fashionindahat.blogspot.com/2011/06/cold-day-inspiration.html#comments

 

Anonymous Designer Dresses said ... (11:11 AM) : 

Would agree with that, great hair and well chosen accessories can imo create a completely different look altogether. Hairstyles such as chignons and other elaborate coiffures are an excellent way to dress up and can provide the central theme to your look...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:12 AM) : 

This makes me feel so much better (justified) about the $400 hair cut and colour I got on the weekend.

 

Anonymous Best of Beehive said ... (11:12 AM) : 

Great points. I believe you need a lot of confidence in your look to pull it off because you can't hide behind an outfit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:21 AM) : 

yes!

 

Blogger caribbelle said ... (11:23 AM) : 

hair can be a very important factor of a look, especially in evening wear.

 

Blogger Marcel Da Chump said ... (11:29 AM) : 

She reminds me of the Ellsworth Kelly paintings I saw this past winter...QUIETLY INTENSE!

 

Anonymous proletarian Great Gatsby said ... (11:30 AM) : 

You are COMPLETELY right.A good haircut does miracles only seemingly invisibles.

 

Blogger Karoline Kalvø said ... (11:43 AM) : 

The first girl looks so unique. How gorgeous with an Asian-looking blonde HOTTIE. I love her simple tom boy style too.

Karoline Kalvo

 

Blogger DoublClik said ... (11:55 AM) : 

Love that brimmed hat, never could pull it off. But love it.

DoublClik Photo Blog

 

Anonymous Susie said ... (11:57 AM) : 

Such a great point--could not agree more. Style is so much more than simply clothing or accessories and sometimes, less is more.

 

Blogger Judith Ross said ... (11:58 AM) : 

What do I love about this post? Let me count the ways.

1. Yes, let's hear it for a great haircut. Even if its a bit expensive, a really good haircut lasts and lasts.
2. The post suggests that there are ways to look great and have style even if you are on a tight budget.
3. This post is ageless -- women and men of any age can make this advice work for them.

Huzzah!!

 

Blogger Laura Sherriffs said ... (11:59 AM) : 

Such a great point! A bad haircut can turn even the most spectacular of outfits into a complete horror show- celebrit award ceremonies are usually a judge to that!

I love her hair and her hat, its just a great relaxed daytime look, with a fierce edge! Love it!

http://fight-fires-in-your-best-clothes.blogspot.com

 

Blogger two four eight one nine said ... (12:03 PM) : 

Well put, and the photos are as beautiful as always...

marc
http://twofoureightonenine.blogspot.com/2011/06/shanghai-lauren.html

 

Blogger Charlotte said ... (12:06 PM) : 

Love the classic simple style. x

http://londonbeanlovesfashion.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Marcel Da Chump said ... (12:14 PM) : 

She's like a recent Ellsworth Kelly painting--but with a dash of color--quietly intense.

 

Blogger Caddy said ... (12:22 PM) : 

I AGREE whole heartedly!!!! Hair and accessories can make a BIG difference.

 

Anonymous jazz said ... (12:30 PM) : 

hair cut and makeup are really important, yes.

 

Blogger comme fraiche said ... (12:34 PM) : 

In the first photo it's her eyebrows that really caught my attention in addition to her hat

 

Blogger anthony said ... (12:42 PM) : 

Grey on grey with black and that beautiful bag strap are stunning, as is the photo. However that shaggy hair style goes nowhere for me in the repeat photo :(

 

Anonymous mon sac by me said ... (12:57 PM) : 

It's absolutely right !

http://monsacbyme.com

 

Blogger lollipop4598 said ... (1:10 PM) : 

I love your commentary, Scott. Very insightful.

 

Blogger M said ... (1:13 PM) : 

Great post. I often see people who forget that their hair, face and body in general are just as important as the clothing they wear when it comes to style and fashion.
And yet even though the focus point of this post (and my comment) is 'above the neck', I love the trousers & muddy shirt in the second photograph!

styleflourish.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Ninjagaiden78 said ... (1:16 PM) : 

Oooh, this is a nice outfit.
I love the hat.
Good shot Sart.

windowshopz.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:19 PM) : 

ironic that I always notice the hair on the girls in your photos, and love that they are a lot of different NATURAL,healthy looks and textures. I notice because they are not smooth/perfect/blown out straight hair. I know when you said good hair that is not the ideal you mean and really appreciate it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:38 PM) : 

I love the advice you sometimes give on this blog, it is so timely and I try to keep it in mind.

 

Blogger asa said ... (1:42 PM) : 

Your blog is quite an inspiration, I am following so I'll be back! xx :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:50 PM) : 

I completely agree about spending good $$ on hair!

Now, who is your favorite hair stylist in NYC?
I need a recommendation.
Sleek, short, edgy, classy, and color.

 

Anonymous wotv said ... (2:15 PM) : 

Hair yes.

But for me, one of the ultimate fashion pieces that someone wears is their BODY LANGUAGE. It's the walking, the sitting, the reaching, the bending, the hand gestures, the neck turns, the head tilt, the crossing the streets, the adjusting of their clothes...all of it...that speak style, confidence, status, freedom, luxury, sexual happiness, place in life, health, aesthetics, and so much more...

If someone has good body language, they could literally be wearing a potato sack and still come off looking extremely attractive. These people may have very ugly or plain facial features, and they may not even be photogenic. But in person, when you're in their presence, you feel their essence.

In all of your pictures of these well dressed women, their body language is amazing. There's some curve in there in an intuitive way.

Conversely there is nothing more disappointing to see a beautifully dressed person who fidges, slouches, or generally acts like they are not confident. A seductively dressed woman who walks like a man? Not attractive. I feel like European women have amazing body language. Literally, they're telling something about themselves to you without even saying a word. Hence, it's a language.

I think body language is one of the most underestimated, under rated, and under utilized fashion accesories. Close to second to body language, is facial expression. Hey but that's for another post.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:31 PM) : 

As Jack on 30 Rock says...
"After all, your hair is your head suit."

 

Blogger FashionAndMe said ... (2:40 PM) : 

VERY well observed! :)

Check out my June Blog Giveaway, it's a real treat!

 

Blogger E. said ... (2:46 PM) : 

Both cuts are really beautiful! First looks reminds me my beloved Agyness Deyn!

 

Blogger Marcelina said ... (3:22 PM) : 

I think You're right. That thing about hair and well choosen accessories is true. I try to adhere to this everyday.

 

Blogger Rachael said ... (3:33 PM) : 

Totally agree with you. Love the shaggy hairstyle on the second girl.

www.rachaeldiab.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Carmo said ... (3:33 PM) : 

love the eyes from the girl in the hat..
I just bought a Canon EOS 600D, i wanted your opinion on it, if it's n ot asking too much!
thank you, butterscotch-sundae.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:46 PM) : 

beautifull written X lou

 

Anonymous philologist said ... (3:54 PM) : 

You write beautifully.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:13 PM) : 

that face!

 

Blogger Kacrates said ... (4:32 PM) : 

Truly hair is really making up the moods.

 

Blogger Sarah said ... (4:36 PM) : 

stunning photos! I love the long skirt, gray shirt & purse outfit! Such inspirational fashion ideas.

http://bohochiccafe.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Luci Bom said ... (5:04 PM) : 

Adore the girl from Savannah's hair!

 

Blogger mo said ... (5:17 PM) : 

Cool cut!!
Agree with you!
XOXO

http://teenagedream-mo.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Maria Ana said ... (5:21 PM) : 

I totally agree!
But what if I think I look better in a ponytail? Is it worth it?...

www.thebeautylover.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Maria said ... (5:22 PM) : 

her look is so great!!!!! I love it.

 

Blogger Evan said ... (5:33 PM) : 

Adorable...Casual..Sweet..

http://mysocalledboringlife-evan.blogspot.com

 

Blogger christine concepcion said ... (5:54 PM) : 

I love how her hair just... works.


I love how the second girl is just chillen and crocheting. lol. so chill.


http://the-conceptual.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous LIZPR said ... (6:12 PM) : 

Scott -
I LOVE your comments re: hair. It's important, and yes, an outfit you wear every day. I've always had long-ish to long hair, and did the whole angled bob thing for a long time. I finally got an asymmetrical cut - short over one ear!! - and love it. Change is good, and my new hair sets off my cool clothes WAY better! Thanks for your continued thought-provoking comments!

LIZPR

 

Blogger Frank Vinyl said ... (6:26 PM) : 

love the way your wrote this. that girls hair in the second picture is fantastic
francesca
http://www.frankvinyl.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:21 PM) : 

wow. i actually saw the girl in the first picture buy a burrito at chipotle and wanted to compliment her outfit but was too afraid to. hahaha

 

Anonymous David said ... (7:54 PM) : 

I want to marry the girl in the hat ........ so enchanting, so beautiful x

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:07 PM) : 

Hair is crucial. I am growing out a short cut and have never felt so awkward. Nothing I wear looks right.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:31 PM) : 

You make some very good points. Hair can really change the execution of a look, though I often wear my hair in a ponytail no matter what. I love it when you include your thoughts on a look. It's nice to know exactly what compels you to take the shot.

 

Blogger from the Lady Philosopher said ... (8:46 PM) : 

thanks scott for the wonderful
hair/accessory advice how-to.
Great point made!
http://theskyofstars.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger The Sydney Girl said ... (8:51 PM) : 

I agree - the simple outfits bring out the beautiful styled hair and makeup! Great photos!
XX
the sydney girl

 

Blogger eliza said ... (8:59 PM) : 

I love the way your word things, I agree completely with what you're saying. My haircut is a huge part of my look, and I'm happy to spend money on making sure that it adds to my look. As you say, it's something that I wear every day.

xx

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:22 PM) : 

I've certainly discussed this as one of my favourites with my friends!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:45 PM) : 

Girl in the first picture is awesome! She should model . . . so striking.

 

Blogger jackie said ... (10:19 PM) : 

very true monsieur sartorialist... gosh, i learn so much from you... now i just have to apply it! thank you!

 

Blogger Maria Elba said ... (10:33 PM) : 

i really love the girl with the short blond hair. And the fact that the girl in the bottom picture is knitting is even better! knitting is a skill!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:49 PM) : 

Neither of these women are beautiful, however. Layers and layers of whatever trend don't make up for it. No one is fooled.

 

Blogger Hang T. Tran said ... (11:18 PM) : 

I am so agree with you!

 

Anonymous mat board said ... (11:32 PM) : 

I agree, the hair is always what I notice first on a person. It speaks out loud the type of personality one has.
~ Natalie

 

Anonymous Leigha said ... (11:49 PM) : 

Hairdressers everywhere, including myself thank you for this. :)

 

Blogger Ishmael said ... (12:14 AM) : 

Scott - Your so on point with how this girl's look is above the neck. I love how wide rimmed, wool fedoras are coming back. They're definitely going to be a huge trend this Fall given that Lanvin and other designers have included the infectiously fashionable hats in their collections.

Bravo,
http://www.viviid.thesweetstruggle.com

 

Anonymous sam @ bento said ... (12:45 AM) : 

As a fashion designer, I'm unusually obsessed with hair... both these shots are a exquisite examples of hair done just right. Love them both.

 

Blogger annie said ... (1:20 AM) : 

everything about these two girls is so memorable, exactly because of what you mentioned. their personality shines because of how they wear what they wear. beautiful.

also, the second girl's bag, i see it everywhere (not sure if it's just me) but does anyone know where i can get it?

WEMAKEPLANS

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:10 AM) : 

Absolutely! I see the amount I pay on haircuts as an investment. It's the same as good skincare products - having great healthy hair, and healthy skin, never goes out of style.

 

Anonymous The Styley said ... (2:15 AM) : 

The young woman in the second photograph is making me reconsider bangs, even though I just finished growing mine out. I really like the quiet moment you captured in that image.

 

Blogger oslolook said ... (2:56 AM) : 

great shots, both of 'em.. particularly the highwaisted skirt and greywashed T... always great shots, always ;)
http://oslolook.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger oslolook said ... (2:59 AM) : 

forgot to mention the Carlos looks great. In fact, better than great... What I love about this photo is that while the clothes make the man, what you see is actually the MAN. Confident, smart, and a look that shows his own style, not someone elses.. http://oslolook.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger wersjatestowa said ... (3:01 AM) : 

Wow, this very nice!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:08 AM) : 

Now you are getting to the real meaning of style...

Well done!

 

Anonymous LemonJuice said ... (3:20 AM) : 

I agree BUT the underlying message here is really about budget. For people with a modest budget, a celine dress isn't practical if you're a regular person with a casual life style and not attending red carpet events. Simple, staple items that can be worn to class, work and date night are a better way to spend your money. So yeah my carry-all, hair and skin care mean more to me than a fancy dress I'll wear once to the office chritmas party. You photogragh varying demographics that's why you are seeing this happening.

 

Anonymous Nelly A. said ... (3:21 AM) : 

Well said. Excellent shots to prove your point. I love the picture with the asymmetrical haircut; it shows off not only her personal style, but I think it says a lot about her personality. I like to think she's a badass girl. The young girl from Savannah stood out to me as well. I love how she's barefoot without a care in the world. Lovely.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:01 AM) : 

Absolutely agree with you. Our haircut and our skin are what we wear every day. And definitely they need a lot of attention.


amour-passionate.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Kate said ... (4:34 AM) : 

I totally agree with your comments on having a great hair cut. Love the composition of your shots!

 

Anonymous Caradiaz said ... (6:16 AM) : 

Great shots - particularly love the second one with the girl totally chilled and knitting away.

 

Blogger Rebekah said ... (7:31 AM) : 

that's a really good point, I never thought of it that way! making me rethink the total lack of haircuts I've had in the last year...

also, I love it when you explain what it is that caught your eye about the person, that made you have to stop them and take their photograph. I find your reasoning always different and always interesting. please keep that up!

thanks for the inspiration with my cup of coffee every morning.

rebekah

 

Blogger Beth said ... (8:24 AM) : 

You are so very right about investing the money in a good haircut. I never thought about it in that way.

 

Blogger Loca por tu Ropa said ... (8:33 AM) : 

You should speak more often in the blog...it´s great!!
Kisses from Madrid,
María

 

Anonymous Lauren said ... (9:14 AM) : 

This young lady's outfit is perfect in its simplicity. I'd love to dress that way every day!

The Styleseer
http://styleseer.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Kelsey said ... (9:54 AM) : 

When it comes to hair I couldn't agree with you more. I am a stylist working in a high end salon in the midwest and something that is far too common in this part of the country is that women think its ok to spend $10 on a haircut... This, in my mind, is tragic because when it comes to hair you get what you pay for.

Your hair is the ultimate accessory, it says more about you because you never take it off, you can change it for drama, or to better suit your style and face shape... which is why I love it!

Thank you for this post, I love your work and look forward to seeing more insights such as this in the future.

 

Anonymous Kelsey Zahn said ... (9:59 AM) : 

When it comes to hair I couldn't agree with you more. So many people think its just hair so its ok to only spend $10 on a cut. But the truth is you truly do get what you pay for.

Your hair is the ultimate accessory. You never take it off but how you wear it and what you do with it can take a look to a whole other level. I love that you can change your hair to suit your mood, your style and your face shape to enhance how you look.

This post was fabulous. I love your work and look forward to more insights like this in the future.

 

Blogger Emy said ... (11:38 AM) : 

Those are some great tips and I completely agree!! I recently had a haircut and even though it takes some time to get used to it, how I can style it at least I´m not hiding it away in a daily bun:)
xx
Emy

http://emykoster.com/

 

Anonymous Lori Neufeld said ... (11:43 AM) : 

this whole collection of photos (ie your blog) is inspiring, Mr. Satorialist. it has changed the way i view fashion and people. i find myself admiring the way a young man will roll his jeans or the way an old woman shopping for groceries throws together inadvertent but beautiful and modern pairings of color. your photos, especially of women, are iconic. i appreciate your openmindedness and humility.
sincerely,
Lori in Winnipeg

 

Anonymous William said ... (11:43 AM) : 

Agreed!

 

Blogger Mertxe Hernàndez said ... (1:15 PM) : 

so good nice outfits!!! very fashion andd i very looove the looks....!!!! NICE!

 

Blogger Chris said ... (1:21 PM) : 

In the second picture (the girl sitting down), what is the brand of that large tote?

I see it on every girl these days and I'm dying to figure it out.

 

Blogger Lena said ... (3:45 PM) : 

Lovely pic (no1).

The brand is LONGCHAMP

 

Blogger C.R said ... (5:10 PM) : 

You were right on about the focal points of the 1st photograph! I'm off to get that hairstyle in the 2nd photograph tomorrow! Thanks for the inspiration! Please continue the excellent work! You are truly teaching us well!

 

Anonymous Theressa said ... (5:46 PM) : 

Well said! Goal for the week: focus on the hair...

Theresa

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:02 PM) : 

the first girl's face is one of the most beautiful i've ever seen. not many asian-looking women can pull off blonde hair and this gem has it done to perfection. thank you for this.

 

Blogger AtomikBomb said ... (10:17 PM) : 

I agree that a good haircut makes the difference. My hair designer (she's not just a hair dresser, she's an artist) does whatever she wants with my hair, and since I wear it quite short, I get to change styles very often. Plus, since the cut is well done, I can wear it a million different ways.

I even see kids at school trying to copy my hairstyle... (I'm a high school teacher).

The first picture just reminded me that I'm going to try to be blonde for the summer!

Why not!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:02 PM) : 

Great post, sir!

http://omgwtfjklmao.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Maryanne said ... (1:27 PM) : 

the first photo channels early madonna and that lower east side hip look from the 80's.

yes!
everyone should invest in a fantastic haircut.
what makes french women's style work is that though they follow fashion, they are not obsessive about it.
things and kept simple & 'natural'..and sometimes slightly askew..and that is what makes it visually appealing.

 

Blogger The Fab Miss B said ... (1:50 PM) : 

So striking! I love the fearlessness and self confidence of her look.

 

Blogger The Fab Miss B said ... (1:51 PM) : 

I love this look! So fearless & striking.

 

Blogger Mary said ... (1:54 PM) : 

First girl looks awesome - think my bob will have to go even shorter!
Total agreement here - a fabulous haircut is the best way to spend one's money, I do it every 5 weeks plus a professional color (dark, rich red). Then nails - fingers and toes - after that nothing else is difficult because I like classic, basic colored clothing, no prints, and good accessories.

BTW - I'm in my sixties - so lots of practice and always a lover of fashion! My first asymmetrical haircut was by Vidal Sassoon, the master and inventor of the blow dryer. He brought freedom from rollers and sitting under hoods, what a great time the 1960's were! Being English helped - we have always been very adventuresome when it comes to hair styling.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:07 PM) : 

I'm pleased with the positive feedback on Camille Corazon's hair (top girl). I'm Dan Islava, her hairstylist :) (benedictyeosalon.com 212-966-6001)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:12 PM) : 

Hello,

I really like your writting and I have to say that I, as a French girl, feel flattered by your compliment! I accept it lol
If you're interested in Parisian style, please do visit my blog www.larueadustyle.com meaning the street's got style (freshly started and in need of some good advice ;-)) And if you need a guide on you next trip to PAris, i'll be honored!
Talk to you soon!
Dlight

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:34 PM) : 

I wholeheartedly agree.

 

Blogger KC said ... (12:14 AM) : 

now this is enlightening.

nouveauskin.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:41 AM) : 

Interesting ... with garments playing a supporting role by drawing the eye to the most interesting point: the hair. Like some of the others commenting above, this makes me feel inspired to do something different with my hair.

 

Blogger pollok said ... (2:44 AM) : 

Really a very nice blog. I love the way you write. And agree with everything you'd said above. Thanks for sharing this...

 

Blogger billie said ... (9:50 AM) : 

True, French women wear their hair with a casualness that seems effortless.
The key to this look -and something American women should really learn from them- is to embrace your hair type and PLEASE LADIES! no more flat iron.
Wavy hair is way sexier.

 

Blogger violetvirus said ... (3:44 PM) : 

"Were I a young lady I would easily spend as much on a good haircut/styling as I would on a Celine dress - after all, it's something you wear every day. "

Im taking away those words and quoting you...they will be the decision makers every time I get confused about my hair..Thanks for the words!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:11 PM) : 

this post made me get my hair cut. It looks amazing - and looong overdue. Thanks!!

 

Anonymous nuria said ... (9:22 PM) : 

Love the look on the first girl. The haircut is so sexy! And the combinations of her outfit let all of us ladies know that you can combine style and comfort.

 

Anonymous Nicole said ... (10:15 PM) : 

Her hair and style are sensational. I hope one day that I will be able to pull that off.

 

Anonymous Oceana said ... (12:35 PM) : 

I agree that it's more visually powerful to create a focal point in one's look. It's also less stressful for the audience when the message is clear. Wonderful photos and examples.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:58 PM) : 

dear scott,
before i thought shoes were important, investing in a pair of shoes and it can finish my outfit and style. but i'm wrong! when my hair grew out longer and straight with no style... plain and simple. my style was plain and simple as well, just men graphic t's and jeans and a pair of leather boots of any kind. eventually i felt bored. i discovered how much i used to dress up when my hair was a bit shorter with bang. then one day i decided to cut my hair short again about pass my shouder and dyed it short of red blonde... and VOILA! my old self is back, i wear more color and i feel like dressing up just like how i feel like dressing up my hair.

My hair uplifted everything.
Good hair cut doesnt have to be expensive( since i cut it myself) but rather experience with different styles and see what make me feel confident and stylist.
Also you forgot about good skin! i would say invest in good moisturizer

 

Blogger Wang's Factory said ... (7:31 AM) : 

The first girl is gorgeous

www.wangsfactory.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous FashionIndie said ... (1:03 PM) : 

Agreed that the cut defines the look. Hair is an accessory that can give a look edge, femininity, mysteriousness, anything... and this girl can rock that asymmetrical haircut!

http://fashionindie.com/

 

Blogger Style Dilettante said ... (1:00 AM) : 

True what you say about the importance of investing in a good cut. Doesn't the first girl remind you f the 80's? It's not just the brows but the tilt of her hat, the Vidal Sassoon looking cut...

http://inherentstylela.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Carly said ... (4:39 PM) : 

I was just browsing for fashion and hair websites and came across your blog. I absolutely love all the pictures and seeing such great fashion! I am a hair stylist out of Fort Collins, CO and I am very passionate about anything fashion-like you! I love this picture and love the hair. And it is always great to see hair from all around the world and find inspiration! If you would like-check out my website www.carlymcbeth.com
Thank you for providing us with great fashion!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:27 PM) : 

I love that she is knitting! Seriously who has that skill?

 

Blogger Vanessa West said ... (12:49 AM) : 

I kept going back to this photo when you posted it the first time. What kept me coming back was the color of her hair and the simplicity of her style of dress that only brought her hair color(s), the slight wave, and heavy bang more to the forefront. Her hair is sexy, on accident seemingly...something I always try to achieve.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:20 AM) : 

good, but seems she needs to make more foot treatment

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:53 AM) : 

love the first girl with the hat, she's so cool, has an exotic Asian beauty,such a fashionista, love her style.

 

Blogger Alanna said ... (11:35 AM) : 

I have a great Fekkai cut and color is just a few highlights on my natural base. However, living in NYC? you can have the best cut in the world but fighting humidity will be an ongoing battle.

Sometimes a scarf is your best friend :) - just sayin'

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:49 PM) : 

Bubblegum pink lipstick? It looks like her natural lip color.

 

Anonymous Sundal said ... (4:03 PM) : 

love love love the first girls' haircut, and her strong brows, she is so striking.

 

Blogger vidalsassy1 said ... (2:44 PM) : 

I'm the Savannah girl's stylist. I live and work in Norfolk VA and often wonder if Im on the right path career wise because people always tell me that people ask them where they got their cut but I still have a wide open schedule. Young people in this area wont spend money on a decent cut nor will they drive across town. Its so strange and sad... but when the Sartorialist validates my work it gives me comfort and makes me know im going the right direction. Its tough living in a town where people rarely value or recognize a good cut.

 

Blogger Hair Romance said ... (10:31 AM) : 

I completely agree! That's what my site is all about.

http://www.hairromance.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:20 AM) : 

vidalsassy1:
where can i find you? i live in savannah and have had horrible luck with stylists. do you ever come to town?

 

Blogger vidalsassy1 said ... (4:46 PM) : 

Yeah actually near end of august I will be there. Catch me at wjadroid@gmail.com. We'll have a chat :)

 

Blogger 88rs said ... (1:10 AM) : 

¿which brand of handbags is that? I love it!!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting