This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street....Zip Flip, New York

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Sunday, February 20, 2011

On the Street....Zip Flip, New York

February 2011

August 2010

So this zip flip is becoming a thing?

Comments on "On the Street....Zip Flip, New York"

 

Blogger JK said ... (5:34 PM) : 

How unusual, yet I can see it developing.

 

Blogger Viorella said ... (5:35 PM) : 

I don't like it, so I hope it won't become a thing!

http://viorellaphoto.blogspot.com
@Violino (Twitter)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:36 PM) : 

I hope so... i like it.

where can guys find nice skinny zipper jeans? do we have to find girls's ones that fit?

suggestions?

 

Anonymous Patricia said ... (5:36 PM) : 

I haven't seen it myself but I trust your expert instincts :)

 

Blogger TheStreetFashion5xpro said ... (5:37 PM) : 

great idea...so inspired

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:38 PM) : 

I kind of hope not

 

Blogger ashley said ... (5:38 PM) : 

i don't know if it's a "thing"--i've just always done it because it's practical! ;)

 

Blogger Juergen Mügen said ... (5:42 PM) : 

Is Thom Browne partially responsible for this?

www.purplebills.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:44 PM) : 

I wonder if this will happen in LA with all the hipsters?

 

Blogger Abby Alicia said ... (5:45 PM) : 

wow this is pretty awesome, cant wait to see more of it on the streets this summer! xoxo Abby

www.the46thdress.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Nicole Cik said ... (5:54 PM) : 

I love it, I started to do it two years ago... :D

 

Blogger djursh said ... (6:01 PM) : 

after skinny, rolled up, and now zippery?
ok, our denim need some variation :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:03 PM) : 

I like it and have been wearing it with my fave zip cargoes and Converse. It's sporty-slouch style.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:04 PM) : 

i like most the first shoes.
Military chuck style :D

http://themadtoter.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:08 PM) : 

Im obsessed with hardware on clothing- yes...a zipper is considered hardware. But ive seen jeans like this before and Ive feel in love with every pair Ive seen. I like black denim better though ! The army print sneakers are from Creative Recreation. Im not a big fan of creative rec`s- but ever since Muiccia did the army print in different colors- Ive been obsessed. Great pics-random yes ! but very Now! est Tre` jolie !

 

Anonymous LEFTONBOISE said ... (6:09 PM) : 

Gotta admit, I'm definitely diggin' the zip flip...

www.leftonboise.com

 

Blogger Melisa Fernández Nitsche said ... (6:10 PM) : 

wonderful blog

 

Blogger Nick said ... (6:12 PM) : 

Or why not get extreme with this flip:
http://www.vman.com/wp-content/uploads/021710_telfar.jpg

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:13 PM) : 

Not so keen on this trend but hey ... they're owning it ...☺

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:26 PM) : 

Not a fan... but can't really tell if we only see the detail, how does it look in the whole outfit? It is an other question...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:28 PM) : 

i love this!

gotta go find myself some jeans with zippers so i can try it!

 

Blogger Dressing On The Side said ... (6:34 PM) : 

or would it be the perfect length for the 36" inseam?

 

Blogger jk1127 said ... (6:41 PM) : 

i like it!! http://jk1127.tumblr.com/

 

Blogger Michelle Lee said ... (6:41 PM) : 

everything is possible in fashion
and it is personal style
i think it will become trendier in design later on :)

http://pinklemonincrystal.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Κάλαθο said ... (6:45 PM) : 

Geeky !

www.stonkalath.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Sophie Mhabille said ... (6:45 PM) : 

OMG, when a zipper jean is too long better not to cut it but doing that, Thanks Scott

 

Blogger joycedade.photography.blogspot.com said ... (6:47 PM) : 

I like it too. Creativity is alive and sporty in this style and elsewhere. Stylish fun in denim. Why not? Guys wearing tight, skinny jeans? May not be so good for the anatomy (:), but it sure looks good and guys should wear loose as well as tight pants. It's all good.

 

Blogger Camille said ... (6:50 PM) : 

I don't think it's really a 'thing', but more that it's difficult to hem pants like that without removing the zipper. The flip is thus the other solution!

 

Blogger Sam said ... (7:07 PM) : 

I've had a pair of jeans with zippers for some years now... I wonder how I never thought of flipping them???? Definitely going to try that as soon as possible :)) I just love these pictures!

 

Blogger Desiree said ... (7:08 PM) : 

I'm liking it... esp. in that 2nd photo...

 

Blogger Yajaira said ... (7:12 PM) : 

sporty into casual

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:16 PM) : 

Hecka yeah

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:35 PM) : 

I love his jeans and snikers. I need them.

 

Blogger Roman Dennis said ... (7:44 PM) : 

i think im a little bit in love with these jeans and the camouflage hi-tops

http://moda-nazi.tumblr.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:47 PM) : 

I have never seen it before, but it's kind of growin on me... Looks fun for the summer with white sneakers.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:59 PM) : 

in an odd way it highlights great kicks. i have a feeling i would talk myself out of it though.

 

Anonymous Ayalah said ... (8:05 PM) : 

I'm into it.

 

Blogger George A. said ... (8:05 PM) : 

I love it. Just get a cheap pair of Levi's or Uniqlo skinnies, get a $3.50 zipper in the garment district, and get a $15 tailoring job done at Stanton Tailor Shop in the LES. I can't wait to do this when I drop by the city next.

 

Blogger Aubrey and Melissa said ... (8:24 PM) : 

huh this is interesting... i can see it being a pain if those don't stay up but its kind of a cool look

 

Anonymous Alexander said ... (8:51 PM) : 

Anyone know what kind of shoes the subject is wearing in the second photo?
Thanks

 

Blogger Gene said ... (8:57 PM) : 

I always do that to my trousers and pants. It adds such character.

www.incognito89.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:06 PM) : 

Its a winner..HOT!

 

Blogger MBZEES said ... (9:08 PM) : 

i have been doing this forever, i'm glad to see that it is finally catching on. it looks great and if you're skinny enough like i am, you can get these jeans just about anywhere, but i paticularly love the Car-Mar brand from LF stores.

 

Blogger Ellen said ... (9:14 PM) : 

My fourteen year old has been wearing the zip flip for some months. I showed her this post and she said, "I will make it a thing, because it is awesome."

 

Anonymous jenny said ... (9:32 PM) : 

i've been doing it for about a year, before ever seeing it on someone else.

 

Blogger JH said ... (10:01 PM) : 

Love it! I think it looks hot

 

Blogger My Heart Blogged said ... (10:13 PM) : 

I could see it working, and hipsters getting really into it. It's a cool way to show off your shoes. I woudl personally never do it.
My Heart Blogged

 

Blogger Pélissier said ... (10:30 PM) : 

I like it

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:43 PM) : 

I've done this with my own too-long zip jeans. Easier than hemming!
Not a new thing. I think.

 

Blogger marjorie rose said ... (10:53 PM) : 

Great during the spring/summer.. but I wouldn't want to be one of many people wearing this style. If everyone is doing it, it wouldn't be as cool.

 

Blogger Angel said ... (11:02 PM) : 

In my opinion, jeans should have maximum 1 zipper. Not a fan. It probably has become a trend because of that post from back in August.

Angels Point of View - Street Style Blog

 

Blogger Katherine said ... (11:10 PM) : 

It sure as a "zippy" name! I love it, haven't seen it around here yet, but I'm sure after your post I will!
La Petite Marmoset

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:19 PM) : 

What....Ever....this is one of those fads that will be in a magazine 20 years from now and the headline will read, "What were we thinking?!"

 

Blogger André said ... (11:22 PM) : 

Don´t say it too often when it come to clothes...but I want one of thoses!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:30 PM) : 

The first picture looks too put together/forced. The second looks like it comes naturally.

 

Blogger The Photodiarist said ... (11:37 PM) : 

I've been doing it for a while. But because those particular jeans are a bit long . . .

Good photos.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:51 PM) : 

As soon as it becomes a thing, it's over-with.

 

Blogger Violet Cadburry said ... (12:15 AM) : 

Not very attractive or inventive, just looks like someone bought jeans at the Goodwill store that were too long and they are too lazy to cut them and cuff them, same for the shoes....not a good look

 

Blogger Joshua Logan said ... (12:31 AM) : 

I hope not. Along the same lines as the double tongue sneaker from the 80's. Completely extraneous.

 

Anonymous Footwear said ... (12:36 AM) : 

I like that simple footwear I remember those days I also used to wear these footwear;)

 

Anonymous HMS said ... (12:38 AM) : 

As long as it chases away the highwater silly-ness then I will accept it for the four months of fad that it will be.

Looks much better on the low-top shoes with no sock. Def, a summer look. With the big coat and the socks and the hardness of the camo, looks silly.

 

Blogger Alex Thompson said ... (1:12 AM) : 

It's most definitely a 'thing' here in Sydney. www.theedit.com.au

 

Blogger Tizzz said ... (2:25 AM) : 

I love this zipper, it's awesome and I would totally rock it.. Kinda has a cropped denim feel to it.. love

 

Blogger alessandra nitti said ... (2:31 AM) : 

i love your pics... always! but this time i wanna share something with you http://wonderfashionista.blogspot.com/2011/02/betrayal-at-theatre.html
hope you like it! it's important for me :-)
xoxo

 

Blogger Eilish said ... (3:03 AM) : 

a little bit of a strange trend but i kinda like it a little bit :)

 

Blogger Monica said ... (3:21 AM) : 

I'm a college student living in southern cali and it's definitely a staple here, I think its branching off from the simple cuffed jean.

 

Anonymous KateyDoodles said ... (3:50 AM) : 

Kind of reminds me of ye olde turn ups, except fresher. I love them - yeah they're just a 'thing', but it keeps the look interesting :)

 

Blogger agatazamorska said ... (4:02 AM) : 

me like it !!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:18 AM) : 

God i love the shoes on the first picture, anyone know what brand they are? :)

 

Blogger Rosa Tang said ... (4:41 AM) : 

oh geez. my mom's a seamstress. this would totally take her out of business! haha
xox,
buttercup buttons

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:57 AM) : 

The question is where can i get it?? I am trying to get some for ages!!

Markus

 

Blogger Cecille said ... (6:49 AM) : 

uh i remember the gorgeous man from august :X

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:57 AM) : 

it is becoming a thing cos you say so Scott

 

Anonymous IS THIS IT? models review said ... (7:05 AM) : 

Absolutely, for me it is already a thing! Even if especially the second version...

http://www.isthisitmodelsreview.com/

 

Blogger Lucy Lu said ... (7:09 AM) : 

Love them trousers!!
those pictures are just awesome ;)
xoxo

http://thedrunkdressing.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:35 AM) : 

this is cool and fresh. i can see variations of that in nyc. anyone knows what shoes are those? the red dirty pair! very nice.

http://www.oblo.co/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:53 AM) : 

perhaps you are helping it become a thing?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:56 AM) : 

"once is an accident, twice is a coincidence, three times is a pattern. " - the little grey man

*sP

 

Blogger No-sin-mis-chancletillas said ... (8:04 AM) : 

I hope so, I like It!!
It´s Casual, for buy a stick of bread.

Kiss

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:01 AM) : 

Hmm, I don't know really. To me it's a sign of summer. In the spring, the mornings are cold, so we dress in jeans. However, later in the day, it gets warmer, and if we're near a beach we often go wading in the water. To avoid getting our jeans wet, we fold the bottom up.

 

Blogger alex said ... (9:40 AM) : 

Haha its more of a "thing" for short people who can't hem their favorite jeans to actually fit their non-amazonian legs since they have zippers on the bottom :P

 

Blogger Román Iglesias said ... (10:06 AM) : 

And you said is not the same person, right???


hahaha so I would try this summer


www.coolneeded.com

 

Blogger midnitexstar said ... (10:22 AM) : 

I definitely like it...for those that can pull it off!
I wish I were a dude sometimes!

 

Anonymous Naftali Stern @ The Bohmerian said ... (10:38 AM) : 

Somehow these remind me that 18th century, techy breeches may soon be back.

 

Blogger reigs said ... (10:43 AM) : 

It's a cool look for the tanned youngsters amongst us but over 30 i'd say nah.
Nice worn red sneakers - anyone know the brand?
Good spot Sartorialist!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:53 AM) : 

haham that's smething very interesting :))) i like it
hope u come by and check out my blog on:

http://www.bloglovin.com/en/blog/2187105/glamourgirl
http://glamourgirl-bg.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Jacob Jones said ... (11:11 AM) : 

Not sure whether I like it, suppose it could work with certain outfits

 

Anonymous Key said ... (11:30 AM) : 

I hope so, I have a pair of expensive but long zipper jeans and I was wondering what I would do with them in summer...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:01 PM) : 

Personally, I like rolled up pants a lot more.

 

Blogger Juicy Beetle said ... (1:08 PM) : 

I find you can tell a lot by a man's shoes. I like that they're being displayed more and more!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:37 PM) : 

Really cool the first shoes, wonderful!

http://fashiondoesntexist.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger CPJY said ... (6:10 PM) : 

it looks pretty cool. maybe in the summer...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:36 PM) : 

When I was a kid in Seattle any kind of cuff on your jeans was considered totally uncool. We referred to them disparagingly as "rain gauges".

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:51 PM) : 

It looks practical and down to earth which takes away of the advantage from looking too prim.

- Vanessa
The Project Zen

 

Anonymous arachne said ... (7:18 PM) : 

The small details make the difference

 

Anonymous Bryan Lockett said ... (9:46 PM) : 

I like this, very original and classic. So yea! i hope it develops. =)

 

Blogger bn said ... (11:58 PM) : 

2011 next big trend?

 

Anonymous Craig said ... (3:17 AM) : 

Ratty shoes are never cool or stylish. Worn in (but maintained), now that's a different story. No socks = stinky arse feet.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:14 AM) : 

The second photo is perfection. I feel like I know the man just by his clothing choices. It looks so effortless. I feel like this is a hard look to pull off. A thing no, but a look a few can pull off...yes. I think trying to pull it off and not is an epic failure, but doing it like this... so successful.

 

Anonymous Martyna said ... (5:06 AM) : 

Anyone knows where do I get such camo sneakers? For a woman! Dying to get a pair.

 

Anonymous Style_winner said ... (6:53 AM) : 

It works with these two outfits well but not sure how much scope you've got for other looks

 

Blogger Mead McLean said ... (9:30 AM) : 

The red sneakers are PF Flyers Number 5. Maybe an old model...probably canvas.

 

Blogger the outfit diaries said ... (10:06 AM) : 

the second one is cool. I don't like the first one though.

 

Anonymous Grete said ... (11:08 AM) : 

I hope so! So natural, shows off the shoes.

 

Anonymous Melody said ... (12:47 PM) : 

Hm very interesting! I can see this becoming a new trend. It is cool because you get too show off your shoes!

Grande Jewelry
Grande Jewelry
Grande Jewelry

 

Blogger Me said ... (2:12 PM) : 

where i can buy this kind of jeans ??? i want it !!
Please let me know...

 

Anonymous tabsy said ... (3:28 PM) : 

one word - sick!

http://hautecapture.wordpress.com/

 

Anonymous Ana Paula said ... (9:13 PM) : 

I love it!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:07 PM) : 

Yes, it's a thing, and you should do it to all your pants today or face ridicule.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:02 AM) : 

I always love your pics! Fantastic!

glitteringnotes.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:53 AM) : 

Really nice detail, makes one casual outfit look really cool and different. Really like it.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:20 PM) : 

yup pf flyers on the second pic. you can still get them at zappos.com....... just not in that color anymore

 

Anonymous TheRogue said ... (4:34 PM) : 

I was making zip flips back in 1995/1996. Then others in my school started doing it. I also was the first to do the cut down the back to make you're jeans go over your shoes. Everyone copied that from me as well at school. I like this zip on these skinny pants. Makes a great conversion for spring/summer pants.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:17 PM) : 

it was definitely a thing a few years back

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:01 PM) : 

I had to do the zip flip as i waded home thru raw sewage after the Christchurch, New Zealand earthquake! So, yes, very practical!!!

 

Blogger Anu said ... (11:06 PM) : 

It will be now that you have brought it up.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:26 AM) : 

Think I'll try this with my pink Chuck Taylors and Green skinny zip cargos...with a tailored coat and a pretty scarf.

 

Blogger Lali said ... (5:19 AM) : 

In my case it has always being a thing! I'm too tiny and I love zipper pants! so there is no other option than to flip them up! Probably those are shots of really petite people like me. You see petite people develop very original styles because petite lines are always horrendous so we have no other way around but to adapt tall people's garments in to our tiny world! x

 

Blogger youaremyworld said ... (8:22 AM) : 

Oh, I just thought they were getting some air on their ankles or something...a sort of utility or functional aspect to this sort of behavior.

It helps to be cool.

 

Blogger lionhjerte said ... (8:10 PM) : 

I have a pair. They are awesome cos the way you wear it depends on the mood you are in.

Cold and astute: Zip it up.
Nonchalant: Unzip it.
Hot and bothered: Fold it and Zip it
Semi formal: Semi zip and allow the folds above shoes.

Sunny Side Smart Kids as part of Rufus Green did my pair.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:48 PM) : 

I have been looking all over for these. Anyone have a clue? Before i have to ghetto involved w/ the fabric store and my tailor. Thx.

 

Blogger Oceanreporter by Eve B said ... (3:46 PM) : 

j'adore le look de ce gars!
Trop cool!
d'ailleurs j'aime beaucoup les looks de rue des gars
genre preppies loafer et ce genre là!
BRAVO!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting