This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Fred Astaire in The Gay Divorcee

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, February 07, 2011

Fred Astaire in The Gay Divorcee

Ok, don't laugh at me but - my twelve-year-old just taught me how to do a screen grab.

Which means - I now have this tool to help with a project I've been dying to try!! I'd like to start sharing what I consider defining sartorial moments from great films.

I have always loved this scene from the Fred Astaire movie, The Gay Divorcee. That buckled leather strap in his lapel is fascinating. I've never seen a modern version of this...have you?

I'm guessing it's attached to a chained pocketwatch.

Can someone please make a modern version of this??!!

To me, this moment is one of the all-time greats of men's fashion on film.

Comments on "Fred Astaire in The Gay Divorcee"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:34 PM) : 

Mmm... what's a screen grab?

 

Anonymous Aliona said ... (3:36 PM) : 

Aaah, yes, the ever debonaire, Astaire.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:37 PM) : 

amazing ;))
http://mademoiselleandcomag.wordpress.com/2011/02/07/cindy-crawford-for-futureclaw-5-by-andrew-macpherson/

 

Blogger Teena Vallerine said ... (3:37 PM) : 

Oh now this new venture is going to be fun to follow! Can't wait to see more. And when you publish the book the 12 year old gets commission! clever 12 year old! t.x

 

Blogger Alleen said ... (3:37 PM) : 

My children have taught me to be more computer savvy, yes even the 7 year old! I love the fashion/furniture from that era, even the names! Good choice :)

Cheers!

 

Blogger Chris Wolfgang said ... (3:37 PM) : 

How many times have I seen this movie and NEVER NOTICED that lapel leather?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:40 PM) : 

Fred astaire was amazing and the fashion of that time devine!! You're so right--how I wish men looked like this now.

 

Anonymous mrs winterbottom said ... (3:41 PM) : 

Such a fantastic classic! My 2 teenage sons are perusing Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly on youtube to create their own versions of this style. At 17 and 13 they are turning toward the classics. Thanks for this post!!!!
xo

 

Blogger Notes from a Stylist, said ... (3:44 PM) : 

that screen grab thing can change your life. I'm more of a 'Gene Kelly does relaxed American sports style' - apart from Singing in the Rain it's tricky to find a shot of him without his slacks on & shirtsleeves rolled up..

 

Blogger Neus said ... (3:44 PM) : 

a great classic!! You'll discover a new world with the screen grabs!

 

Blogger Lisa Petrarca said ... (3:46 PM) : 

Scott, YOU DO IT...start a trend and become a fashion innovator as well as photographer! What do ya think?

I posted about my sons first modeling Milan trip stop by & check it out.

http://lisapetrarca.blogspot.com/2011/02/hey-its-me.html

 

Anonymous ginger said ... (3:48 PM) : 

Thank you for posting dear Fred. For a scrawny, balding middle aged man, he was extraordinarily cool. I could watch him for hours...and Ginger Rogers too, who I happen to be named after.

LOVE that you're spotlighting films now.

creambyginger.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous trapezegirlnyc said ... (3:49 PM) : 

Not sure of that. I have my fathers old pocket watch, and unless the buckled leather strap is sold separately, he never had. He used it the way I'm sure you've seen it many times.

Great movie, btw. Love old film and Fred Astaire was amazing!!

 

Blogger KC said ... (3:50 PM) : 

so so excited to see this new feature!

 

Blogger Nicole Dao said ... (3:54 PM) : 

The buckled leather strap definitely sets his suit apart from the rest. Great detail!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:55 PM) : 

good shot.)*

 

Blogger Tali @ RockMyHeels said ... (3:55 PM) : 

Screen grab = print screen I suppose)) Well I guess it's not about the children vs parents, but about that you cannot know everything just because! someone has to teach you! and it's just so cool it's your own kid.
The guy on the photo is soo elegant.. I'm very curious about this new project.

xx
Tali

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:56 PM) : 

Scott - This type of accessorizing is as old as the hills !

I wear an Hermes magnifying glass through my lapel in the same manner

You need to take a look at the old Apparel Arts mags !

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:00 PM) : 

That or attached to pinz nez specs. He was quite vain - in the best sense. Whatever is attached he couldn't afford to have it shoot across the room or slip out during a deep bend while dancing.

 

Blogger Bravissima said ... (4:02 PM) : 

I think it's a great idea. The style remains and movies are great examples of what never gets old
baci!!
http://fondevilapersonalshopper.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Serena said ... (4:03 PM) : 

I like it very much! There aren't men like this nowadays!
kss!
http://mimundodecolores.blogs.elle.es/

 

Blogger jordan lane said ... (4:03 PM) : 

oh HELLLLLLLLL YEAH - Now you're on my wave. i've been doing the screen grab out of similar interest for mo.s now. may send you some of em.

 

Blogger It's All Good, And I'm So Grateful said ... (4:06 PM) : 

AGREED

HUGS FROM MY HEART

 

Anonymous The Devoted Classicist said ... (4:15 PM) : 

Although I am not really brave enough to copy Fred Astaire's wearing a neckties as a belt, I do have some Ralph Lauren versions made specifically as belts. As many times as I have seen the film, however, I do not recall ever noticing the loop in his lapel. I am always looking at the classic moderne interiors!

 

Blogger Wida said ... (4:16 PM) : 

Haha don't worry, you know more than I do!

Wida
Missing Amsie Blog

 

Blogger Dulwich_News said ... (4:19 PM) : 

When I was a buyer for a British based Vintage Retailer called Flip I saw a lot of these and was told they were used to secure sporting club membership card, which were then stamped aluminum plate's like dog-tag's. Example, a Member of the Jockey and Breeders Club...

Now we have magnetic-striped-plastic membership card's...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:19 PM) : 

From Vanity Fair's The "Thriller" Diaries...
“It was Deborah Landis’s job to play up Jackson’s masculinity while dressing him in hip, casual clothes that were comfortable for dancing. Since the video would be shot at night in a mostly somber palette, she says, “I felt that red would really pop in front of the ghouls.” She chose the same color for both his jacket and jeans to emphasize a vertical line, making his five-foot-seven-inch, 100-pound frame appear taller. “The socks and the shoes were his own,” she says. “He took that directly from Fred Astaire, who always wore soft leather loafers to dance in, and socks. And Michael was elegant. I worked with David Bowie, who was also that same body frame, again very, very slim. Fred Astaire was a 36 regular; Michael was a 36 regular. David and Michael and Fred Astaire—you could literally put them in anything, and they would carry themselves with a distinction and with confidence and with sexuality.”

 

Blogger J said ... (4:19 PM) : 

I love watching Fred Astaire, for so many reasons. So much do I care, that I'm being all pernickety and pointing out that the movie's title is The Gay Divorcee, no "s."

 

Blogger the coolbirth kid said ... (4:20 PM) : 

oh my,
screen grabbing could open up worlds -
seems to have already.
how nice of your twelve year old!
i'm guessing you're right on;
appears to be a sort of leather strap/chain,
attached to a watch kept in the breast pocket.
good deductive skills;
i'd've thought it was to strap those huge lapels down!
it would also keep a hanky firmly in place,
and that tie out of the way of your lunch,
or out of your eyes whilst dancing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:23 PM) : 

The movie title is not plural. It's The Gay Divorcee.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:23 PM) : 

In light of this trend, I offer up Farley Granger as Bowie in Nicholas Ray's They Live By Night.

Final scene, the black jacket.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:24 PM) : 

Love classics !

http://leblogmodedejulie.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Joy said ... (4:31 PM) : 

Ahh the screen grab. Fret not, I only learned a few months ago on how to on my Mac thanks to the courtesy of my friend when we were working on a school project. And people of the Generation Y are supposed to be technologically adept!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:36 PM) : 

The incredible Fred Astaire was the master of style, elegance and individualising his look with small details. In other films he did not wear belts, as other men did at the time, he hitched his pants up with either a kerchief or a tie. Not sure about the leather strap holding a pocket watch... could it be for spectacles perhaps ? From the age of 5, I was mesmerised by Mr Astaire - he has been my pinup boy most of my life.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:37 PM) : 

That leather strap is called a hunter or half-hunter. It first came about from situations where either you wanted to have your watch handy but weren't wearing a waistcoat, or you were wearing a waistcoat where the watch would be inaccessible.

It should still be around/available, if you search under that name.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:39 PM) : 

The strap at his lapel might be a wrist watch worn as a lapel watch. You can see doctors & nurses do the same thing today. I’ve seen it done as point of style back in the 80s.

 

Blogger pukatuka said ... (4:40 PM) : 

great idea. can't wait to see more!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:47 PM) : 

Yeah, so... how do you do that?

 

Anonymous pommieknight said ... (4:54 PM) : 

I've seen a couple of men wear similar leather straps in their buttonholes on television here in the UK. One was years ago and was attached to a tiny pen knife for use with his pipe; the second (an antique dealer) had a jeweller's eyeglass attached. Stylish and useful.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:57 PM) : 

I think you should publish a book with the screen grabs...I have always wanted something like this...no text, just the name of the actor(s) and the name of the movies. But I think you should publish the photos of the women and men separately, or at least separate them into two different sections in the book. Please be sure to include that sheet dress from Breakfast at Tiffany's.

 

Anonymous jimjims said ... (4:59 PM) : 

Screen grabs are the best!

Great little trick...

This moment is superb, and yes... fashion on film is timeless!

Aged looks from black and white films are the best...

"Timeless!"

http://jimjims.net

 

Blogger Teresa said ... (5:02 PM) : 

To you, this moment is one of the all-time greats of men's fashion on film.

To me, another one came straight to my mind: Richard Gere choosing his (Armani) clothes in American Gigolo.

I'm sure there must be more.

 

Blogger Brummagem Joe said ... (5:02 PM) : 

It's simply a low cost watch keep ie. a leather strap attached to a pocket watch instead of the more usual gold or silver chain. I had one when I was at school.

"Anonymous said...
That leather strap is called a hunter or half-hunter."

It's not; a half hunter is a type of pocket watch.

 

Blogger Brummagem Joe said ... (5:06 PM) : 

Definition of a hunter and half hunter (the one with the little window) for Anon.

http://www.2-clicks-pocketwatches.com/article/what-is-a-hunter-pocket-watch.html

 

Anonymous emily said ... (5:11 PM) : 

dont feel to ashamed - i was taught the screen grab trick only one week ago.... revolutionised my story boards

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:28 PM) : 

Fred Astaire very classy. Oooo I hope you grab some Hepburns next. :)

 

Anonymous David said ... (5:30 PM) : 

Dear Sartorialist,

I'm a follower of your blog, a college student, and most importantly a leatherworker. I'll make you one of those leather watch keepers. Its the least I can do for all the inspiration your blog has given me. Here is my email: davidnasca@uchicago.edu. For serious, give me an email if you would like one. Other folks, feel free to send an email too if you'd like one. I'm cheap... $15.

Thanks,

David

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:37 PM) : 

It takes our children to teach us the way. Love the capture. I think he is the most debonair.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:59 PM) : 

What a great little eye-treat.....looks like a leather luggage tag to me! Can't you just use one of those?

 

Anonymous balthasar said ... (5:59 PM) : 

i am 23 years old and all my inspirations are based on old movies! i don't know why, but during those times everything seemed to be so effortless! nowadays everyone tries to be extraordinary by inventing new styles and details. but lets face it - you can't do any better than stick to the roots. most importantly put effort into the right fitting (e.g. as recently discussed arm's length). my personal style icons are cary grant and james stewart! always perfectly fitted, yet totally classical without details worth being argued about!

 

Anonymous conformisttt said ... (6:01 PM) : 

Can you do women's fashion as well? Those times evoked real glamour! Barbara Stanwyck, Lauren Bacall, Claudette Colbert, et al come to mind.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:29 PM) : 

It's a leather pocket watch strap. The pocket watch fits inside. Here's a picture of what would be in Astaire's pocket:

http://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/Pocket%20Watch%20Strap.jpg

 

Anonymous Harris said ... (6:50 PM) : 

Alexander McQueen has a linen blazer with a red loop in the lapel. Not quite as interesting as a leather buckled loop, but a nice touch nonetheless. Love the additional accent. With the red loop, it accent's the dressy casualness of the blazer.

 

Anonymous enterrement de vie de célibataire said ... (6:53 PM) : 

J'adore...

Julia

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:06 PM) : 

My first post ever on a blog!

My grandfather had few of these pocket watches...unfortunately now they're kept kinda relic, because actually they're really beautiful. but..one day...!
in the meantime I'll check from old pics how he used to wear them!

This blog is inspiring as usual. It's not just fashion (poor word, so devalued and almost meaningless..). I don't know how, but from one shot you can perceive a lot of what's behind: the city, the atmosphere, the people, the years 2000-something, the economy, the society changing...

You have such a global vision, and moreover the capability to capture it and share it.

Thank you, we all need more of this poetics.

_isa

 

Blogger Mom (Míriam) said ... (7:09 PM) : 

Fred Astaire é sempre o máximo. Qualquer coisa nele fica elegante!

 

Blogger Jenni Austria Germany said ... (7:09 PM) : 

i'm loving that you just now learned how to do a screen shot/loving this new feature coming to your blog. great idea (and i agree with the commentor above, suggesting bacall and colbert, etc.!).

 

Blogger 82Brute said ... (7:14 PM) : 

Look at him. He's hardly a handsome guy. Head like a light bulb, billboard forehead, lantern chin, narrow shouldered and skinny as a school girl. Would anyone dare to put him on the screen now? I think so. He radiated a certain something that made people forget that he wasn't classically handsome. Part of it was certainly his incredible talent as a dancer, his charm as an actor, and his genuine joie de vivre. His appeal was undeniably elevated by a great sense of style. The man simply looked great in his clothes.

 

Anonymous Ben said ... (8:48 PM) : 

Hugh Laurie's Bertie Wooster wears one of these in the BBC Wodehouse series whenever he was in the country. I always liked the look! I think a pocketwatch looks a bit contrived on most people under the age of 55, but this seems like a great way to pull it off.

 

Blogger BaronessVonVintage said ... (8:57 PM) : 

I recently read an article about how Fred Astaire was THE style-setter for well dressed men in the 30s (in America, at least...supposedly in Britain it was Edward, Prince of Wales, with his dashing boaters and Fair Isles). Mr. Astaire's dashing style is perfectly captured here

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:33 PM) : 

I think the best scene in this film is with the help of his butler, Fred dresses to go look for a needle in a haystack.

 

Blogger Kathleen said ... (9:34 PM) : 

I believe its a watch band, I have hunted and hunted and there is no such thing as a watch fob, at least that I've found so far, that holds a watch this way. Fred was so cool, I can see him doing this with a wrist watch just because it looked hot and was different. Kind of reminds me of the 80's when everyone started doing the knot over thing with their belts. How did this come about? Trends just start, and usually they begin on the street. I still do the belt thing, bringing the excess leather behind the belt and then back over the top and knotting it. I'm 52, and kids see me do this and are really checking it out. I also tie my khakis with bright scarves in the warmer weather. Kids are checking this out too. Everything old is new again

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:35 PM) : 

No 12 year old in my house--how do you do a "screen grab"?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:37 PM) : 

The strap is for a watch, the watch was called a hunter. A gentlemens Hunting togs didn't have a vest, so a watch fob and chain was not used. It could also be worn on your belt.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:52 PM) : 

Yea for twelve year olds! You're a lucky dad which makes us lucky, too. Looking forward to seeing more inspiring screen grabs.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:54 PM) : 

Fred Astaire is such a legend, a real classy man.

 

Anonymous HOT + COOL said ... (10:02 PM) : 

Look forward to learning what you consider sartorial moments from great films...will be a nice add-on with your pics on the street.

 

Blogger Laguna Beach Fogey said ... (10:10 PM) : 

Look at his tie. Is that the Tie of the ,Ancient Madder?

 

Blogger andrea.at.the.blue.door said ... (10:16 PM) : 

Please give a little advance warning when you're ready to profile Cary Grant, as I will need to make arrangements to stay home that day and do nothing but ogle.

 

Blogger SAMANTHA said ... (10:35 PM) : 

I LOVE IT. and isn't it amazing what kids know how to do via the computer?!!!


xx
www.dragonnfruit.com

 

Blogger Kayla said ... (10:57 PM) : 

Oh my goodness, in Easter Parade! Loved him!
xx

heydoll16.blogspot.com

 

Blogger leeflailmarch said ... (11:22 PM) : 

Screen grab like screencap or screenshot?

And yes, that buckled leather strap is indeed fascinating. I have always loved things from the old days.

 

Blogger A-T-G said ... (3:05 AM) : 

I've always adored the style of Fred Astaire - on screen and off! He's a sartorial icon! Delighted to see him pictured here.

It just makes me love your blog even more than I did before.

 

Blogger Eloise said ... (3:46 AM) : 

Lol that's pretty cute! All the best movies are in black and white! Don't you just adore The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer, timeless! Can'at wait to see your new project in the flesh!

 

Blogger louise and nivaldo de lima said ... (4:14 AM) : 

Tell us what you want and we'll see if we can make it for you. We work with leather and Nivaldo is happy to make bespoke items. http://nivaldodelima.com/

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:31 AM) : 

Look at those lapels! I wish designers would use that long, bellied rounded lapel again

 

Blogger Roma is Love said ... (4:40 AM) : 

..plus the classic polka-stripes combo :) ooh, it would have been nice to know the colors they chose for this combination, don't you think? :)

 

Anonymous Lushan said ... (5:55 AM) : 

Consider 'Stewart Little' for this project...stumbled upon it on TV a couple of days ago...amazingly, the actors seem to be dressed very interestingly

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:59 AM) : 

You mean by a screen shot?

http://theythinkimtooyoung.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Shann said ... (6:05 AM) : 

@akthleen - have a look at Norman costuming from the 1100s, you'll see that sort of belt knot being used!

And yes, how does one do a screen grab??

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:07 AM) : 

I've started putting an old clothes pin the button-hole of my lapel attaching it to my pocket silk. Kind of a punky version of this!

 

Blogger the brown man said ... (7:35 AM) : 

Oh and the high cut armhole, Scott. How could you not mention it? It's perfect!

 

Blogger dee.dee said ... (7:49 AM) : 

I just love your eye for details.



http://sitbackrelaxenjoytheride.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Maryanne said ... (8:51 AM) : 

doesn't it say something about the present state of fashion..
that we tend to look back?

 

Blogger Bronwyn said ... (9:03 AM) : 

The strap is pretty cool!
I always thought you wore your pocketwatch at your waist, though, attached to a belt loop or something and then put in the pocket of your waistcoat...

windeater.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Wimereux said ... (9:10 AM) : 

I was teaching my 10 year old daughter about blogging at the weekend and I used your site to show her what a good one looks like. My 13 year old has your site as a shortcut on her iGoogle page. You are definitely inspiring the younger generation as well as learning from them!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:39 AM) : 

Scott,
Watch Jeeves and Wooster with Stephen Frye and Hugh Laurie. The customers do a wonderful job on 30's men attire.including the label watch fob. (Only women wore wristwatches)

rita

 

Anonymous Sartor Resartus said ... (9:48 AM) : 

Great collar... tie pin necessary to its length. Good tie : shape and pattern. Horrible lapel cut.... on most people. But the shape suits his physique. Not sure why everyone fetishizing the leather watch strap. It's not THAT amazing or special. ;-)

 

Blogger Cyclo2000 said ... (10:04 AM) : 

You can buy the straps here
http://www.vealsjewellers.co.uk/leatherstraps.html
half way down the page.
A lot of race goers wear 'em with their tweeds.

 

Blogger Abby said ... (10:30 AM) : 

It kind of looks like the tie of a luggage tag. You could try to fashion one of your own and attach it to a watch. Of course it would just depend on the watch, etc.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:07 AM) : 

I wish I could gush about this moment as well...but your idea has just got me jumping to others that genuinely thrilled me as soon as I saw them...I'm sure you have a whole back log you'd like to cover, but would you consider taking our suggestions?

Gene Tierney's hats in Laura so effectively set her apart from the other characters' petty drama - she was ethereal and innocent even while she was at the center of it all. This film is a uniquely soft and decadent noir dessert and her hats were the perfect cherry.

CB

 

Blogger from the Lady Philosopher said ... (11:15 AM) : 

YES! do screen grabs. Love classic films.
http://theskyofstars.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Charlie said ... (11:59 AM) : 

LOVE this development, can't wait for more posts like this.

http://charliechanges.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Nick C. said ... (1:01 PM) : 

Oddly enough I've seen those buckled straps made out of old refurbished leather wrist watch straps. Really rad and inventive.

 

Blogger patrick said ... (3:47 PM) : 

My nine-yr-old son was given a gold pocket watch by his godfather and "wore" it recently with a double-breasted suit. He attached the gold chain through the button hole and carried the watch in the jacket pocket. It was a nice accent.

I showed him this post, thinking he'd be inspired to make a leather fob for his watch. Instead he started working on a fashion blog for his friends. Be fun to see if he sticks with it.

 

Blogger Hip Hostess said ... (4:23 PM) : 

The Fred & Ginger movies were all full of fashion eye candy, indeed. Amazing...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:37 PM) : 

Get a narrow women's leather watch band, put a small slip-ring (the key-ring things) through the two channels on the band, then hang a pocket watch, keys, pen-knife or whatever you like from the ring.

 

Anonymous Cecilia said ... (4:40 PM) : 

Dear Sartorialist,

Please consider doing a post on George Cukor's The Philadelphia Story. I'd love to read yours and everyone else' thoughts on the fashion in this movie.

 

Anonymous keegan said ... (4:55 PM) : 

I find your blog absolutely fabulous. I could spend hours, days, months studying the photos. You truly have an impeccible eye. You have also inspired me to harbor my own passion which is FOOD. I would love it if you checked out my blog, which I have just started, as you have been such an inspiration to me. It is titles "The Plump Palate" and it is found: theplumppalate.blogspot.com

 

Blogger toridawn said ... (5:11 PM) : 

fabulous. love this!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:35 PM) : 

⌘ ⍐ 4 short for grab

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:43 PM) : 

When you have time for the ladies, I recommend the following:
Geraldine Chaplin in gray and pink on the train platform in Dr. Zhivago
The totally backless black dress that Julie Christie wore in Shampoo, or, alternatively, same MO in the French All Blond Man with One Black Shoe
Ali McGraw's sportswear in Love Story, especially the long coat
I think the film is The Romantic Englishwoman with Michael Caine and Glenda Jackson: her black and her white evening gowns

For the gentlemen: the way that Robert Mitchum looks in anything.
Richard Gere in American Gigolo

 

Anonymous David A. said ... (9:32 PM) : 

There is definitely a small company out there somewhere making these and thanks to you, they will probably get the light that their company needs! If I had a design label, I would be making these right now! Either way, great choice of person, Fred Astaire is wonderful.

 

Blogger street number eight said ... (10:14 PM) : 

love The Gay Divorcee, love Astaire, love that you just figured out how to do a screen grab! haha :)

(i'd make fun but really-- kettles pots black, etc. it shocks me everyday that i'm a blogger, ie use computers!)

http://streetnumbereight.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:22 PM) : 

the look is very American, with elegance. Astair set a standard not dependent upon Hollywood big shot or Saville Row. Note the American forward point collar, generous enough to pin. Also, the neat four-in-hand tie knot, not a Windsor; the bold shirt with the subdued suiting. The leather strap may well be attached to a wrist watch he chose to put in his breast pocket. FDR wore his watch in that pocket with a gold chain, as he rarely stood up, having it in his waistband would have made it clumsy to remove.

 

Anonymous PollenJewelry said ... (11:02 PM) : 

Great notion to feature classic talkies with shots from today.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:22 PM) : 

I was just watching Jeeves and Wooster and saw the same sort of strap attached to one of Hugh Laurie's suits! Not sure what was on the other end, though...

 

Blogger Copper Etiquette said ... (10:18 AM) : 

Great have fun with it. www.copperetiquette.wordpress.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:14 PM) : 

The placement of the hole on the lapel is quite low and would not work on any suit I have even if I found such an item. I Think you would have to have the suit made with this feature and without the strap in its place, the empty hole this low on the lapel would look odd. But what do I know? It certainly looks smart!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:20 PM) : 

The 'strap'

http://wasp101.blogspot.com/2009/08/jeeves-wooster.html

http://media.photobucket.com/image/Jeeves+and+Wooster+/Kakareen/jeeves-and-wooster-jeeves-and-woost.jpg

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:07 PM) : 

Try this link. They have the watch with the strap and all.


http://shop.sivletto.com/system/search/product.asp?id=4623&c=75&page=1&rnum=40

Thank you for a beautiful blog!
//Miss Lou

 

Anonymous sunny said ... (2:45 PM) : 

How did you do the screen grab?


(Love him, by the way.)

 

Anonymous melodiouswhat said ... (4:14 PM) : 

I actually have a vintage pocketwatch with a leather strap... I could never figure out what exactly you were supposed to do with it before. Will need to experiment with that a bit now.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:05 PM) : 

how do you do a screen grab?

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:33 PM) : 

not really the same thing but Zegna just did a tie bar thing that looks just like it in their show few weeks ago.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:17 PM) : 

How do u do it?

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:12 PM) : 

I just watched "The Sting" starring Robert Redford and Paul Newman...and i found myself constantly noticing the beautifully tailored suits both characters wear throughout the film. Your post made me think of the film.

N

 

Blogger Lee said ... (9:52 PM) : 

Awesome... more, more, more please!

I think all the outfits and fasion from the film "Talented Mr. Ripley" are great... relaxed "preppy" at it's best.

 

Anonymous Joel Sager said ... (10:17 PM) : 

mr. schuman,
i do a variation on this theme with the small, leather travel tag belt from a mulholland brothers overnight bag. i took the tag part off, so it's just the charming little belt. when i don't feel like wearing my time piece, i hook the small belt to it, and then through either my lapel button holes, or around my bag's shoulder strap, or whatever i have with me any particular day. it also serves the dual function of me not losing my watch! anyway, i never used my travel tags, and know others might not either.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:33 PM) : 

And dont' forget the incredibly splendid Beatles in A Hard Day's Night-suits fitted to perfection--and OHhhhh the shoes!John Lennon on the train, hat and tie askew--gorgeous!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:21 AM) : 

Hugh Laurie has been cited frequently in comments above. I find that he, like Astaire, captivates the eye and the imagination with a confident sense of style that is unmatched and quite alluring. Neither man is conventionally handsome, yet both exude buckets of masculine charisma and sexiness. Astaire is an idol for all-time.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:18 PM) : 

Fred Astaire - I consider him the best dressed man ever! Love all his films!

 

Blogger Erica said ... (1:58 PM) : 

There are TOO many moments in the Golden Age of film of beautiful men and women's fashion. And you'll find them out of the blue! Take for example Bluebeard's Eighth Wife (1938)(costumes by Travis Banton.): Gary Cooper wears this patterned belt styled with a single loop. I'm not much of a fashion connoisseur to tell you much about it, or to explain it well, but it's in the scene when he's talking to the count about buying the bathtub. It's near the beginning of the movie.
Then, in One Way Passage (1932), Kay Francis wears a stunning backless, sleeveless black gown with a t-strap back designed by the one and only Orry-Kelly! You'd know it when you saw it.
There were so many great costume designers: Edith Head, Adrian, the aforementioned Orry-Kelly, etc.
I'm glad you're doing this! I love film fashion! And you can bring this type of fashion to lots of people's attention. This is great.

 

Blogger Miriam Parkman said ... (5:18 PM) : 

Fred Astaire in a swell suit and pin collar; it's all good.

 

Blogger blake said ... (6:06 PM) : 

I've recently started paying more attention to Fred, since so many of his clothes are extremely well cut, and he has a body type similar to mine.

I agree about the watch strap - is that also a specially-designed pin in his pin collar shirt? It looks like it's shaped, not straight.

 

Anonymous Emily MG said ... (7:12 PM) : 

Wow. Peter Saarsgard looks like Fred Astaire. Fantasy casting!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:51 AM) : 

And you know what... I guarantee that that stylist is breathing a sigh of "someone got it!!!" It's the meticulous details like those that show just how much the artist loved their work and now know that someone "got it"!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:52 PM) : 

You should look back at Brando in "On the Waterfront." I just re-watched it last night, and the work jackets the longshoremen wear are very reminiscent of a bomber I recently saw at Unis. A great short coat that is very manly, but not too overdone like things you might see today.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:43 PM) : 

Fantastic - your eye on the film classics! Can't wait to see what you feature.

 

Blogger xoxotoe said ... (11:34 AM) : 

i looooooove the possibilities of mining movies for sartorial moments. please do, soon! xo

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:30 PM) : 

Scott - Here is an IMDB link to a discussion of Bertie Wooster;s leather, buttonhold watch fob. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098833/board/thread/71507617

As a further FYI. tc

 

Blogger MyGirlFlorence said ... (12:54 AM) : 

There are only so many phrases one can use to describe Fred Astaire but when it all boils down... he just a major
B.A.

heres another example of Fred's awesomeness http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi9w09suO5E&feature=player_embedded

 

Anonymous Jordan said ... (12:58 AM) : 

Escada did something similar for a womans suit jacket this season. There is a brown leather strap coming from under the jacket & is closer to the hip area. I just saw it in W. So the idea is still out there!

 

Blogger Mary Taylor said ... (11:56 PM) : 

Okay, Astaire is not only one of the greatest triple threats to hit the screen, but was SUPER classy! One of the world's best-dressed men up until his 70s!! Who else can say that!?

 

Blogger Crosby Square said ... (6:14 PM) : 

These buckled leather straps were originally worn by British officers in World War I. Made of dark brown leather with brass or sterling buckles. In the 1930s, more colorful versions were marketed to Americans.

Photos and information here: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?56906-Pocket-Watch-Chain-Lapel-Buttonhole-Pocket&p=1269309&viewfull=1#post1269309

 

Blogger Crosby Square said ... (6:21 PM) : 

Here's a link to a recent color photo of an antique strap: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?56906-Pocket-Watch-Chain-Lapel-Buttonhole-Pocket&p=1269436&viewfull=1#post1269436

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting