This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Bill Cunningham New York :: The Trailer

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Bill Cunningham New York :: The Trailer



I saw an early screening of this film recently.

It's fascinating.

From people that know Bill I have heard mixed reviews but it is still a must-see.


Bill Cunningham New York
a film by Richard Press
80 min
“When fashion fans talk about street style these days, they’re likely to drop the names of Scott Schuman, Yvan Rodic aka The Facehunter or Garance Doré . But most of them forget about a true pioneer in this field, 80-year-old New York Times photographer Bill Cunningham, who now gets the credit he deserves in new documentary Bill Cunningham New York.”
- The Independent (UK) (“ New documentary honors streetstyle visionary”)

You can buy tickets here

Comments on "Bill Cunningham New York :: The Trailer"

 

Blogger MEO said ... (4:14 PM) : 

straordinario!!!!!!!

 

Blogger franca maisha said ... (4:17 PM) : 

def gonna watch it! he's what I call a true artist.. <3

 

Blogger Kat said ... (4:18 PM) : 

mhmm, thank you. now i'm dying to see it. he truly is wonderful, isn't he?

what did you think of the film when you saw it?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:21 PM) : 

cant wait to see the film!!!!!

 

Anonymous Lovay said ... (4:23 PM) : 

Looks promising!

 

Anonymous FAD Magazine said ... (4:24 PM) : 

Looks incredible. He deserves this! Can't wait to see the film.

 

Blogger my.amalgam said ... (4:28 PM) : 

i know what i am doing march 16!

www.myamalgam.blogspot.com

thanks for sharing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:36 PM) : 

I saw an early screening too and loved it! Here's a great interview with the director, Richard Press:
http://www.coolhunting.com/culture/bill-cunningham.php

 

Blogger Robert said ... (4:40 PM) : 

No offense, but anyone who DOESNT mention Bill Cunningham at the top of that list of street style documenters cant be a true fashion fan - and are ignorant of fashion photographic history.
Mr. Cunningham is the true original street fashion chronicler and has been out pounding the streets to capture street style w/ his camera and keen, sensitive eye while those other names (not denying how great they are) were still in diapers.
Mr. Cunningham forged the path that all the others follow (though wonderfully imbued w/ their own distinct voices).
Cheers to Bill Cunningham and thanks to Scott for illuminating a wider audience to Mr. C's unique , groundbreaking, diligent, endlessly fresh and tireless contributions to the street style medium.

 

Blogger reigs said ... (4:44 PM) : 

He reminds of that other great snapper William Eggleston,
Vive la camera!

 

Blogger . said ... (4:51 PM) : 

That does look fascinating, I look forward to it coming out...

http://coffeesmellsandlilacskin.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger mia said ... (5:23 PM) : 

his work is trully fascinating

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:27 PM) : 

veeeeeery much looking forward to this. he is an icon.
http://www.wordbyjessie.com
xxjj

 

Blogger Paul Baxendale said ... (5:39 PM) : 

I used to see him every day when I worked on the window displays at Bergdorf's but never really "got" that he was anything other than some nutty guy with a bike and camera! Now I wish that I had "dressed up" for him; I dont think paint spattered jeans and a hazy, spray-mount induced grim did much to get me noticed!

 

Blogger *sunday* said ... (5:51 PM) : 

I saw Bill 2 days ago photographing at fashion week. I wanted to come up and say hello and introduce myself and tell him what a fan i am of his work... But i couldnt bring myself to do it. Couldnt bring myself to distract him from what seems to be his own special world.. I dont think many people are allowed in that world which makes even moreso fascinating. Amazingly talented man. I am definitely going to watch and later own a copy of this film.

stateofsunday.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous This Time Now said ... (6:08 PM) : 

I love his spirit. He is a true artist, a pioneer and he's still forging new paths.

 

Blogger My Heart Blogged said ... (6:20 PM) : 

I can not wait to see this. What an amazing person.
My Heart Blogged

 

Blogger TheMinx said ... (6:30 PM) : 

amazing. I saw him for the first time at the rebecca minkoff show this week and couldn't even move. he is truly a legend.

 

Anonymous The Dandy Portraits said ... (6:53 PM) : 

I think everyone wants to know the inside story on Bill! Fascinating that even folks he has photoed for years know nothing about him.

 

Blogger Erin said ... (7:11 PM) : 

Bill Cunningham owes a great deal to early 20th century reportage photographers like the Seeberger brothers (Chronicle Books published an English version of a 2007 French BNF exhibition catalog of their work).

If you want to see the original source material, check out early American Vogue or L'Officiel (early French vogues are very difficult to come by as FIT limits archive research). Their photographs of fashionably dressed women seen out and about were published in magazines and newspapers in London, New York, as well as Paris.

Street photography is not new and even older than Bill Cunningham.

 

Anonymous Sophie Mhabille said ... (7:20 PM) : 

Thank you very much to present us this great and humble person. I would love to watch the movie

 

Anonymous curaku said ... (7:29 PM) : 

LOVE!

 

Blogger jill rosenwald said ... (7:49 PM) : 

thank you for sharing this..i am a long time bill cunningham fan and had no idea the film was coming out. it looks like it is going to be wonderful!

 

Blogger FeFe said ... (8:56 PM) : 

SOOO love him! What a treasure. What a character! Love his philosophy. xx

http://fearlesslyfemale.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:20 PM) : 

Need to watch! Looks quite amazing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:22 PM) : 

Bill has a truly great eye especially since he photographs the person on the street, not celebrities, not models, not industry people -- all of whom have access to great, expensive clothes and should be expected to dress interestingly.

 

Blogger Urban Weeds said ... (10:10 PM) : 

Bill is amazing! A huge inspiration to everyone photographing street style. I can't wait to watch this.

 

Anonymous Maryanne said ... (10:11 PM) : 

how gracious for one fashion icon to pay tribute in his blog to another.

 

Blogger Notes from a Stylist, said ... (10:15 PM) : 

he snapped me in the marc by marc jacobs press pit today but i was busy trying to snap him!

 

Anonymous John Krill said ... (10:29 PM) : 

It's the story of a man, not just a photographer. A man with very strong beliefs.

Some would say pure of heart.

A monk with a camera and a love of fashion.

He is unique, very unique.

 

Blogger Kayla said ... (10:47 PM) : 

So excited to see this, thanks for showing :)
xx

heydoll16.blogspot.com


p.s. love the glee mention (=

 

Anonymous Marisa said ... (11:08 PM) : 

"Fashion is the armor for everyday life" is just a brilliant quote. I am so glad that the preview uses the same music as his feature on the Times webpage. Agree with the earlier commenter, I'm a bit offended by the presumptiousness of the Independent to say that we don't know who he is! The man is a legend!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:43 PM) : 

I want to be a Bill Cunningham at some point in my life. His videos on the NY times got me interested in photographing people on the street, something which I tried out while studying abroad in Europe. After finding this blog (Sartorialist), my interest in photographing people on the street has grown enormously. I'm very excited to see this movie...somehow. Hopefully it opens on the West coast somewhere!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:54 PM) : 

We saw this in Australia last year and I cried... incredibly moving and real. Makes the fakeries of modern life seem embarassing. A true original with such integrity. Must see.

 

Blogger Devon Kaylor said ... (12:18 AM) : 

Growing up in NYC and having been bitten by the fashion bug at an early age, I have seen Mr. Cunningham my entire life. He is wonderfully sweet, incredibly talented and is one of the reason I continue to enjoy fashion, as an art form, not a consumer addiction. Long live Bill Cunningham!

 

Anonymous ~Alaina said ... (2:25 AM) : 

Thanks for the advance notice about this movie, it's even going to show in my city, Portland, OR. I look forward to it!

 

Blogger Alyssa said ... (3:24 AM) : 

Bill Cunningham embodies a true artist –– his work and original vision speaks for himself, nothing else. Anonymity is treasured by the greatest of artists, and though 'street style' photographers may be contrived and ubiquitous now, there's no doubt in my mind that he is the Mozart and Monet of street photography.

Kudos!

 

Blogger MariaTru said ... (3:50 AM) : 

Really want to watch it. Thank you for posting it, I would not have seen the trailer otherwise.

 

Anonymous La Femme Française said ... (4:42 AM) : 

Excellent ! I want to see the film !!!

 

Blogger My Savage Side said ... (5:34 AM) : 

great!Need to watch! Bill is an icon!

www.mysavageside.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Ana Magnolia said ... (7:49 AM) : 

He seems such a nice and interesting person! I would love to see this documentary...

 

Blogger 82Brute said ... (7:58 AM) : 

Iris Apfel! I love her. I learn so much here. Will hope the film eventually hits art houses in Boston.

 

Anonymous HOT + COOL said ... (9:17 AM) : 

Iconic.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:17 AM) : 

I'm aching to see this, but I'm not in the states!! Does anyone know how long will it be out for?

 

Blogger Justin B. said ... (10:21 AM) : 

Looks good!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:05 AM) : 

Intriguing. Thanks for this!

 

Blogger TheHypeAround... said ... (11:15 AM) : 

I absolutley love this man!
It's always one of the favorite parts of my weekend when I can login to the New York Times and treat myself to Bill Cunningham's "On The Street"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:26 AM) : 

I just read the interview on Cool Hunting, and how cool (for lack of a better word)! Mr. Cunningham hasn't seen the documentary himself—and he doesn't intend to. He's such an icon.
http://www.coolhunting.com/culture/bill-cunningham.php

 

Blogger Anna said ... (12:27 PM) : 

Incredible. I never buy films, but this one's coming home with me!

 

Anonymous bridget said ... (2:13 PM) : 

Getting a peek into the way Bill Cunningham lives and how he relates to money via this short trailer shows profound strength of the rudder of freedom and truth in his artistic work and life.

A model for us all.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:23 PM) : 

Reminds me of the Valentino documentary. Can't wait!!!

 

Blogger schokoboks said ... (5:22 PM) : 

"you see if you don't take money, they can't tell you what to do - it's the key to the whole thing"

love it. he's so jovial - maybe the people that know him, realize he's not a loner...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:50 PM) : 

I can't wait to see it.

 

Anonymous princess glee said ... (8:58 PM) : 

Thanks for mentioning Bill Cunningham I don't know if I would've learned of him otherwise. Watching the clip lets me know I must see the film.

 

Blogger RIZALENIO said ... (10:51 PM) : 

Oh Wow! Thanks for sharing this. What an inspiration.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:37 AM) : 

One of my personal heroes in street photography alongside Schuman and Dorè. Will see this at least as many times as September Issue.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:00 PM) : 

I hope it plays in KCMO!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:37 AM) : 

Bill Cunningham is the OG of street style photography. No one else will come close.

 

Anonymous Yavidan Violeta said ... (5:29 AM) : 

It is fascinating this video, Bill is a pioneer a mentor for many bloggers.
Thank you for sharing the video ;)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:21 AM) : 

Years ago my boyfriend gave me a subscription to the Sunday NYTimes for Christmas. That's when I first discovered Bill Cunningham. It became like a treat. If I was good and read the serious parts of the paper......the front page and business sections, Week in Review.....my reward, like a delicious dessert, was Bill Cunningham's street style column. So many of his photos I cut out and saved! Now I watch his videos online. What a dear, remarkable, sweet gentleman! Along with his inspiring photos, he's an inspiration himself.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:40 PM) : 

I LOVE BILL CUNNINGHAM!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:40 PM) : 

Bill Cunningham took my photo in the 80's I was on my way to a Betsy johnson show and it turn up on the cover of WWD

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:40 PM) : 

if i was home, i would def. see this movie. hoping it's out on DVD when we return... looks inspiring!

 

Anonymous Carolina said ... (3:30 PM) : 

Hello! i have started reading ur blog! and i love it! i was wondering if you would mind if i featured you on my next article?
contact me if you agree please
cgrincho@hotmail.com
thank you

 

Anonymous Samantha said ... (5:06 AM) : 

This makes me want to be his best friend. I think my dad (who is also 80) and Bill would be the most ridiculously funny people to hang out with ever!

www.seasonedwithyouth.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:40 PM) : 

@Erin,
You're missing the point entirely. No one is saying Bill started it all. But he does have a particular perspective that has become the basis of the work of many who have tried to follow in his footsteps.
The point of the documentary was to capture the life and work of one particular journalist - a legend at that - to the exclusion of others.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting