This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Scene....Military Shirts, Florence & Milano

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

On the Scene....Military Shirts, Florence & Milano

I bought one of these military shirts this Summer and I'm still trying to figure out how to wear it. After I saw this gentleman at Pitti a few days ago I remembered I also had a photo of Robert R. wearing this same style.

After looking at the two images I now realize my shirt is too long. I need to shorten the length of my shirt to be in line with my wrist at the hip.

I think this is one of those truly versatile and inexpensive items that should be in everyones wardrobe.

Comments on "On the Scene....Military Shirts, Florence & Milano"

 

Blogger Anna said ... (3:53 PM) : 

the glasses are awesome!!
theultraviolette.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Chris said ... (3:55 PM) : 

2 in one! What a deal haha, I love the first guys glasses!
http://happeningsofrainbowing.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:55 PM) : 

great pics !!

http://myheadandwardrobe.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Jenni Austria Germany said ... (3:55 PM) : 

these men pull it off so well.

 

Blogger Beautycountry said ... (3:55 PM) : 

the first guy look so charming with that smile

:D

 

Blogger Marina Mourão said ... (3:57 PM) : 

i like the sunglsses!! your photos are amazing!
www.soistyle.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Jessica Szeto said ... (3:58 PM) : 

i love these classy interpretations of the military shirts...
likin' the glasses too!

 

Blogger SabinePsynopsis said ... (4:07 PM) : 

I agree! I want one, too. Love all the details.

 

Blogger Gene said ... (4:08 PM) : 

I like these military style shirts, especially in the shade of denim.

www.incognito89.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:11 PM) : 

Fan of the 1rst pic ;-)
http://mademoiselleandcomag.wordpress.com/

 

Blogger Bronwyn said ... (4:15 PM) : 

I love the combination of the blue and the mossy military shirt colour

windeater.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous jimjims said ... (4:15 PM) : 

Green!

Dig the look.

http://jimjims.net

 

Blogger Alys said ... (4:19 PM) : 

Looks great. Especially on the first guy, with that striped top just peeking out! x

 

Blogger CINCHED AT THE WAIST said ... (4:23 PM) : 

are military shirts the new denim snap shirts? I think so...great capturing, as always

 

Blogger Duse Pasteller said ... (4:25 PM) : 

Ohh, niccce! Like pic 2 best:)

Janni
Duse Pasteller

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:27 PM) : 

These jackets are beautiful!


Marc.
http://vicissitudinilombarde.blogspot.com/2011/01/senza-ossigeno.html

 

Blogger *sunday* said ... (4:30 PM) : 

i think it looks great, still casual but still formal enough because its a shirt.. i think its a good investment

stateofsunday.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Fashion Agony said ... (4:31 PM) : 

Love how the first guy wears it :)
xoxo
http://fashionagony.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:34 PM) : 

I would wear the military shirt like a shirt jacket. If you plan to wear denim shirt on jeans, the military shirt as a jacket will reduce the denim on denim look.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:39 PM) : 

This is a clear example of how both men and women can be inspired by a single post. Tomorrow I am wearing my mariniere under my military shirt and topping it all off with a nice navy overcoat! Thanks Scott!

 

Blogger Loca por tu Ropa said ... (4:40 PM) : 

You´re right!!

http://locaporturopa.blogspot.com

 

Blogger A.E said ... (4:40 PM) : 

Great two shots, and interesting commentary. I think it's you meticulous attention to detail which makes you such a great photographer. I especially like the first shot...because of the jewel like colour of the jacket and shirt (or is that just the light?) Anyway, really, really great. :)


http://fashionregardless2.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous thefashionguitar said ... (4:43 PM) : 

Love both their glasses!

XO thefashionguitar

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:45 PM) : 

Hmm the first guy looks familiar. I love his long Willy Wonka type coat though and he has the glasses to go with it. The second one is very cool you think man he looks smart and he's got a freaking ascot. I love guys who pull off the ascot.

 

Blogger Julia said ... (4:47 PM) : 

Military pastel colours!.. never thought about that before.

x

http://thecapsulewardrobeproject2011.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Cez said ... (4:51 PM) : 

Love the first one.... charming!!!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:51 PM) : 

I do agree. It's a really easy- to-wear item. It's both casual and chic. Great post, excellent tip!

 

Blogger Whitney Sherrell said ... (4:53 PM) : 

I love military style shirts!

Whitney Sherrell
www.MyStylishFriends.blogspot.com

 

Blogger StyleToneZagreb said ... (4:55 PM) : 

Guys are great.I love it!!!

http://styletonezagreb.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Una B. said ... (4:57 PM) : 

Amazing)Love the way these sand color pants look with his coat.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:58 PM) : 

but if it's so versatile and inexpensive why are you still trying to figure out how to wear it and now have to have it altered?

 

Blogger The Village Idiot said ... (5:00 PM) : 

this guy always looks sooo cool!
his look is always different every time i see him

 

Blogger comme fraiche said ... (5:00 PM) : 

with those shirts it's important to have the length stop at the waist otherwise the shirt doesn't look good. You got it right in these photos.

 

Blogger anamanzana said ... (5:18 PM) : 

especially with navy. olive and navy has got to be the best combo...ever. is it wrong that i, a female, now want an olive military shirt, too?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:20 PM) : 

interesting observation,

 

Blogger labeloverload said ... (5:20 PM) : 

love the scarf!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:25 PM) : 

Nice!!!!Check out this crazy blog:
http://www.momanddadblog.tumblr.com

 

Blogger BECKY MAY said ... (5:29 PM) : 

i love classic shirts like these. you have a terrific eye.

The Flower Girl

x

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:43 PM) : 

Hi, i just watched a video about you (intel visual life ((i loved it)), and i thought i should leave a comment.
Soo, i do it, i love your blog, and all your photographies since a longtimme, the people you choose in the street...
I hope you'll continue to do things such fabulous.

(Sorry my english is pathetic)

Benoit, from France

http://blueberry-pie.tumblr.com/
(I put my personnal webpage, about photography, im just an amateur ahah)

 

Blogger davidikus said ... (5:57 PM) : 

I think those shirts look too scruffy. I understand the appeal, but still, I don't get it. Absolutely lovely blue coat in the first picture, though!

http://davidikus.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Pearl Westwood said ... (5:58 PM) : 

I love military shirts, I ve been trying to find the perfect one for ages, both are great examples of how to wear them.

http://shoppearlswardrobe.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Pati Gaitán (Pati-G) said ... (6:03 PM) : 

I really like the texture and cut of this shirt the fabric seams to be soft and warm. I love the way is worn - you have a remarkable eye.

 

Blogger Jackii said ... (6:05 PM) : 

the first image inspires me

Westernemerald.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:13 PM) : 

Inexpensive and versatile? You said yourself that you've never worn your shirt and have to get it tailored...

 

Anonymous Maryanne said ... (6:13 PM) : 

tailoring is everything.

it's truly fantastic when fashion can be adaptable as seen here a jacket or shirt.

that navy topper in the first pic is just attractive and lends a very polished look.

khakis are such a neutral trouser and adapt to just about anything paired with them.

 

Anonymous Everything's Better with Frosting said ... (6:16 PM) : 

LOVE those glasses! That shirt is a nice versatile, I'm not trying to hard, I just wake up chic item.

 

Anonymous dimitri said ... (6:38 PM) : 

The first men to look perfect. His style is unique, chic and casual at the same time. I'm totally a fan of her outfit.

 

Blogger Teodora said ... (6:46 PM) : 

I think the shirt will look well long as well.

Teodora

teodoraslookbook.com

 

Blogger roxanne s. sukhan said ... (7:01 PM) : 

Those sunglasses!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:05 PM) : 

Both are attractive men & great photos. It's just that I can't get myself to appreciate the proportions of the shirt/jacket. In short: too dinky! It makes them look like they are detained in WWII POW camp and I feel uneasy / sorry looking at them. I mean, I liked the whole cropped sports jacket and high-notch-collar tailoring trend in the past, but crop happy proportion stops here for me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:09 PM) : 

Waiting for you to shoot us some ghurka shorts when the weather allows...

 

Anonymous Blank Musings said ... (7:23 PM) : 

so charming!

http://blankmusings.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:38 PM) : 

Amazing glasses "a la" John Lennon style.

 

Blogger Fashion Nerd said ... (8:34 PM) : 

OMG,these jackets are amazing, I would wear them anyday

Fashion Nerd

http://joannafashionnerd.blogspot.com/

Please read, comment and follow.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:47 PM) : 

Love the Apache tie..so retro! Burt Reynolds meets Marcello Mastoianni. LOVE IT!

 

Blogger Alex Ingram said ... (8:53 PM) : 

What is this type of shirt called and where can you get it one
tuxandtie.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous COA said ... (9:10 PM) : 

love the glasses!

guiltlessbeauty.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Edwin Rivera said ... (9:31 PM) : 

Any idea on the brand of those items?

 

Anonymous V said ... (10:04 PM) : 

My husband just bought one from topman and he is so glad to have made a good choice after seeing this post.

 

Blogger My Daily Inspiration said ... (10:04 PM) : 

cute!
xx
http://mydailylittleinspiration.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger yvo said ... (10:33 PM) : 

military shirts r like denim ones, they look cool anytime

 

Blogger Marrisa said ... (10:40 PM) : 

I love the stripe underneath the button down!

http://vi-vant.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger caribbelle said ... (10:43 PM) : 

very simple, and I like it

 

Anonymous HOT + COOL said ... (10:56 PM) : 

I agree..should be in everyones wardrobe. I'm on the hunt for one now...very John Lennon looking.

 

Blogger Miss Bias said ... (11:01 PM) : 

I adore the first guys's combination of clothing items. Great sense of style.

Come check out my Magazine Giveaway to help celebrate my 1st year blogging at www.missbias.blogspot.com.

Miss Bias = )

 

Blogger La Nouvelle Observatrice said ... (11:39 PM) : 

Simple + Style = Sexy
Very nice~

 

Anonymous princess glee said ... (1:09 AM) : 

I love it when men do casual well as these 2 gentlemen have.

 

Blogger thwany said ... (1:13 AM) : 

love the first guy, he's so handsome.

 

Anonymous @unChCh said ... (3:25 AM) : 

mmhh... We'd like to see it on you :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:32 AM) : 

Marinieri under military? interesting... How much I am learning!

 

Blogger dan said ... (4:09 AM) : 

Great style, the combination of the military shirt with the armorlux-sailor-shirt underneath and the elegant coat (wonderful blue) make it.
what i like about robert is the green/greyish colour range of his pants and shirt in combination with the scarf.
inspiring.
cheers from here, d

 

Anonymous Julie said ... (4:13 AM) : 

love the first picture :-)
my blog : http://redandsilk.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Bell said ... (4:14 AM) : 

I like too, the first pic is my favorite

 

Blogger KC said ... (4:20 AM) : 

yes, it looks like an essential basic that is fun to jazz up.

nouveauskin.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Paul (UK) said ... (4:26 AM) : 

Great post for us guys Scott!
Love the military shirts, I think it's gotta be cord for me. Workwear brand Carhartt have some great ones.
The sailor stripes for men are busting out all over the UK high street at the moment, with pea coats, chinos and deck shoes for spring.
I see a quiet shift back to love 'em and keep 'em vintage classics and away from fast fashion excess here (probably linked to the recession...)

Keep doing what you do!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:33 AM) : 

I am sure that in the 2nd pic the shirt is not vintage, it fits the guy too perfectly.
I'kill to know the brand's of this shirt, perfect big front pockets !
anybody got a clue ?

 

Blogger OneRedCherry said ... (4:40 AM) : 

Cute!cute!cute!

www.oneredcherry.com

 

Blogger V.V. said ... (4:48 AM) : 

The first guy has an amazing sense of style, simple but trés chic. Loving his glasses

v.v.
http://fashiondoseblog.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:41 AM) : 

Great snap........

Tom
Ravenshoe Real Estate

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:19 AM) : 

Military shirts!

http://theythinkimtooyoung.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Susanna Lam said ... (8:16 AM) : 

love the 2nd guy's glasses!

 

Anonymous Sophie Mhabille said ... (8:27 AM) : 

Thank you Scott, you make me realise i have a forgotten kaki shirt on my wardrobe! it's time to wear it

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (8:31 AM) : 

Really love the first shot. The combination of 'army green' and navy stripes always seems to work.

 

Blogger M&M said ... (8:59 AM) : 

Who says that the age is our enemy?
He looks great, charming and stylish!

 

Blogger Christina Simon said ... (9:30 AM) : 

I would have never thought that a military shirt could look stylish. Thank you for the inspiration.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:50 AM) : 

Whether you shorten your shirt depends on whether you want to wear it as an overshirt or a shirt. If you want to wear it as a shirt, leave the tails long.

 

Blogger Darryl said ... (10:03 AM) : 

I really, really, really don't like that shirt and I don't care who knows it.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:23 AM) : 

loving that smile

http://elenavasilieva.blogspot.com/
x

 

Anonymous proletarian Great Gatsby said ... (10:40 AM) : 

We can see how military shirt are loosing the military/aggressive meanig to be now the warrior's rest.

 

Blogger Eugenia Woods said ... (10:41 AM) : 

Love the glasses in the first pic!

 

Anonymous Red Red said ... (10:59 AM) : 

Actually prefer the second shot (and shirt). Both sets of glasses are right on.

 

Blogger 82Brute said ... (11:14 AM) : 

A couple of questions for you...when you shorten your shirt, will it stay a shirt hem or will you make it more of a straight hem, like a jacket? Also, how do you feel about snaps? My daughter has been scooping up flannel shirts from the young men's departments in hipster stores, but won't go near them if they have snaps like these pictured here. I kind of like the snaps. I think they look better if you decide to leave it unbuttoned. Just spitballin' here.

 

Blogger Francois V. said ... (11:29 AM) : 

Emmanuelle Alt found a way to wear it.

http://maydele.blogspot.com/2011/01/emmanuelle-alt.html

 

Anonymous Robert said ... (12:19 PM) : 

Too short! Well, for me those shirts would be too short. But I like a lot the wearing it open underneath a jacket. And me too I like the round glasses.

 

Blogger anthony said ... (1:04 PM) : 

Beautiful cravat. The shirt is lost in the top pic. An abundance of excellence but a focal point is missing.

 

Anonymous Amandine said ... (1:17 PM) : 

Robert R is in your book, he's one of my favourite model.
By the way, you're totally right about military shirts.
You have to post us a photo of you wearing it. :)

 

Anonymous JettRink said ... (1:20 PM) : 

"I'm still trying to figure out how to wear it"- this is what separates Keith Richards and Johnny Depp- Keith Richards just does it, and Johnny Depp thinks to much, tries to hard and ends up looking contrived.

 

Anonymous fashionsdirtylaundry said ... (1:49 PM) : 

I love the colors on the first photo-- the navy over the olive over the stripes!

Military shirts definitely need to hit just above the hip-- or they need to be tucked in :)

 

Anonymous Anu said ... (2:24 PM) : 

None of these two men seem like they cared about the length of the their shirt - they just wore the hell out of what they had. That is style and confidence.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:15 PM) : 

Military shirt ! Great Idea ! Thanks !

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:31 PM) : 

What is the brand of those glasses. I want them.

 

Anonymous Key said ... (4:04 PM) : 

Love the ascot on the dark haired gent. Are those Gaultier sunglasses on the guy with the striped under shirt?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:11 PM) : 

I just asked for the brand of those (sun-)glasses.

Googled, and i think i found them. Moscot, Miltzen.

 

Anonymous Vlad said ... (4:32 PM) : 

I like the shirt, but it's not really that versatile I think. Seeing that, for one, you have problems regarding what to wear it with.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:08 PM) : 

First picture is just AMAZING. Love the shape of the glasses and the combination of striped shirt and jacket. Such a cool look!!

 

Anonymous Hmmm.. said ... (5:59 PM) : 

I don't know, Scott. I love the look of this style shirt but I am not loving the length of theirs. I like it a bit longer, below the waistline. This actually looks odd to me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:28 PM) : 

awesome photos! i love the jacket from the first photo! <33
xx

-adele
yougotsomestyle.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:50 PM) : 

This man always looks so completely comfortable in his own skin & has incredible, timeless style. Love pics of him.

 

Anonymous bonddi said ... (12:03 AM) : 

The first shirt works because it resembles a jacket in the detailing, but in a lighter fabric. The second shirt looks like one I sewed up in Home Ec in 1976 from a Butterick pattern. Dont' shorten your shirt unless it has the detail to pull off the length.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:40 PM) : 

the first guy looks a little too runway for me. he needs to bring it down a notch. it's probably the striped tee that needs to go.

 

Anonymous Nicole Davis said ... (12:50 PM) : 

The glasses are very good to wear and its complementing his face structure. so thumbs up.
The look is too much sober so thumbs down hence cancelling the effect so he is OKAy to say the least.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:34 PM) : 

Utilitarian rocks!! so simple so cool!

dalston-gucci-fiorucci

 

Blogger Matthew Spade said ... (5:47 PM) : 

very much like both

 

Blogger The Visual Minimalist said ... (7:30 PM) : 

This man looks like a bearded, sunglassed Leonardo Dicaprio!

 

Blogger leatherpress said ... (7:53 PM) : 

Most shirts 'should' ( i mean it would be nice to see ) sit in line with the wrist and waist line...the military shirt is a must.

-Martin in Sydney

http://leatherpress.wordpress.com

 

Anonymous Kristen said ... (7:56 PM) : 

I really like the gentleman in the first picture's outfit. I love the navy coat with the olive shirt, and the stripes underneath! And the sunglasses are absolutely perfect.

I also love the look on his face: he knows he's looking good. :)

 

Blogger Carlos said ... (10:48 PM) : 

Is it me or does this lad looks like Ricky Gervais?

 

Blogger joshylola said ... (1:40 PM) : 

Great military clothes mix.Love XS shirt :-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:07 PM) : 

Anybody know who makes the jacket in the first shot???

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:23 AM) : 

well, if you actually had to serve in the army at some point of your life, like me(living in Israel, army service is obligatory even for girls...) i'm sure you wouldn't have been so excited about the army shirt. too much negative connotations... though it does look nice

 

Anonymous Scott said ... (9:14 PM) : 

The shirt is too long? Or are you too short?

 

Blogger klsmn18 said ... (7:03 PM) : 

Really like the glasses and the shirt. Nice work with the tucked in ascot.

 

Anonymous Sartor Resartus said ... (5:14 PM) : 

Not bad, but trying way too hard.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:34 AM) : 

Is that John Lennon´s secret son?

 

Anonymous elaine said ... (9:53 PM) : 

love the length of the jacket.

 

Blogger 4eyeblogabout said ... (4:30 PM) : 

Many of my male friends say menswear is so boring cuz there is nothing much to play with. White navy breton, olive shirt, navy coat, chinos...and those glasses. Pretty unexpected, he obviously put in thought and effort putting things together. Takes a sharp eye for detail to notice these little touches that matters. Judging from that grin on the lad's face, he obviously knows he got it nailed. :)

 

Blogger Michel said ... (5:50 AM) : 

Wow, really cool t-shirt!!!i am super impressed. i like it.. thanks!!

jonsonmichel21@gmail.com
Custom T Shirt Design

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:42 AM) : 

It is gorgeous indeed.
Good choice.

Custom made dress shirts

 

Anonymous rothcomilitaryclothing said ... (11:49 PM) : 

there are so attractive t-shirts and milano jackets shown here... so gorgeous collection.military clothing is the best clothing i can say..:)

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting