This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

The Collar Flip, Japan

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, December 06, 2010

The Collar Flip, Japan


Did you know that this is a real thing?

All over sartorial Japan (at least in the Classic Italian sub-genre) guys flip their shirt collar to appear more nonchalant. Even the shops display the shirts with the collars flipped.

Comments on "The Collar Flip, Japan"

 

Blogger FASHION SNAG said ... (4:33 PM) : 

I like it!

www.FashionSnag.com

 

Blogger Miss Cross said ... (4:34 PM) : 

Awesome detail, that lovely flower... I love it

www.chezagnes.blogspot.com

 

Blogger tiffany. said ... (4:36 PM) : 

Holy smokes!!! I'm SO into that!!!

xo.
http://dropsofjupiterBLOG.com

 

Blogger aqws said ... (4:37 PM) : 

Just looking at these photos makes me want to straighten the collars! This is probably why i'm not cool in Japan.

 

Blogger Santi said ... (4:38 PM) : 

I actually really really like that !!!

http://randomfashion94.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Michael said ... (4:38 PM) : 

Nonchalant? It looks a bit off to me. I'll need to see it on a real live person, but it seems a bit ridiculous.

 

Blogger Michelle Bobb-Parris said ... (4:39 PM) : 

I am absolutely loving this. How long before it catches on among the more trendy suit-wearers in Europe and North America? Quite impressed with them doing something so minimal, yet directional and unabashedly cool with the suited look.

Michelle

whoisbobbparris.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Mike Rasbury said ... (4:43 PM) : 

I'm so glad you noticed this! It's one of those little things I picked up along my Japan journeys. I've since brought it back to Seattle.

 

Anonymous Istanbulboy said ... (4:43 PM) : 

Interesting approach, for sure!

Istanbulboy

 

Blogger Timothy Duong said ... (4:45 PM) : 

Wow, looks charming though :)

 

Blogger Κάλαθο said ... (4:46 PM) : 

speachless!!

www.stonkalatho.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:47 PM) : 

I love this. You have the most amazing eye for detail. Thank you for the inspiration!

www.blahblahbecky.co.uk

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:47 PM) : 

Sartorial Japan...is that in the North?

 

Blogger Gene said ... (4:48 PM) : 

I've seen this on quite a few people here in New York City. Very unique styling.

 

Blogger kate said ... (4:48 PM) : 

Well it does make them seem more non chalant, but I think it looks sloppy. But that's just me!
velvet cupcakes

 

Blogger christinaooi said ... (4:49 PM) : 

Wow, this is genius! I'm really liking the ties too. :D

www.queenofmayhem.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:50 PM) : 

in an era of pre-stressed jeans, this is an elegant subtle tweak.

 

Blogger Olivia said ... (4:51 PM) : 

Such a cool detail!!! Love it :)

http://brokelittlerichgirl.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:52 PM) : 

Haha that's interesting, might try it sometime and see the reaction I get ;D

http://seriouslyrainbowing.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Katrina said ... (4:52 PM) : 

I love the tiny flower pin in the first picture - can anyone tell me what that is?

 

Blogger Silvia Mella; said ... (4:53 PM) : 

I love it!!!!!!

 

Anonymous Allie said ... (4:57 PM) : 

Huh .. guess it's considered the opposite of what it is here (preppy). Interesting!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:57 PM) : 

I am a fan of all things Japan, but this is definitely a "Dislike".

 

Anonymous June Prune said ... (4:58 PM) : 

such an exciting detail, I love it ! I hadn't noticed it at first... I thought the picture was about the flower button (which "flips" the jacket collar)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:03 PM) : 

Just looks like bad ironing to me...........

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:03 PM) : 

I just love how the Japanese manage to subvert things all while showing deep respect. It takes a very evolved mindset to succeed at doing that.
--haapi

 

Anonymous Al said ... (5:07 PM) : 

I noticed when I've been there!!

Don't tell me your in Japan NOW! You have to literally submerge our browsers with pics and overwhelm our computers with the Japanese street style which is just AMAZING!

Oh I'm so excited, I hope to see more of these!!

Al

-The Red Dot-

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:08 PM) : 

Perfect touch

 

Anonymous Sarah Weal said ... (5:08 PM) : 

it is like an elegant two fingers to the world from your shirt. love it.

 

Blogger Searching for Style said ... (5:11 PM) : 

Amazing. How does one "flip' their collar? With an iron?

 

Blogger S said ... (5:13 PM) : 

Curious detail, I thought it was accidental! but of course, nothing is accidental in the fashion world!

http://singinonmymind.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous JD said ... (5:14 PM) : 

Maybe the next sprezzatura trend should be unfinished hems. It's to the point where I almost want to ridicule the calculating, creativity-drained people who are Agnelli wannabes. Fashion editors: stop promoting this chalant bunkum!

 

Blogger rhymeswithcrow said ... (5:17 PM) : 

I can't tell if I like that or not... I think it looks better if its less noticeable like in the first photo

 

Blogger Alisha said ... (5:21 PM) : 

That's interesting x

http://fascinationforfashion-akm.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Christina said ... (5:21 PM) : 

I kind of dig this. Suit wearing can get so boring and overly traditional sometimes...why not have some fun with it?

 

Blogger Monika said ... (5:23 PM) : 

very cool

 

Anonymous J Yang said ... (5:24 PM) : 

hmm! It sounds interesting!!!

 

Blogger Artfully Awear said ... (5:25 PM) : 

I love it! I'd like to see some dapper Americans try it.

 

Blogger It's All Style To Me said ... (5:28 PM) : 

They flip their collars do they? Like soiled underwear filled vending machines, some things are better left in Japan. - It's All Style To Me

 

Blogger cellar door said ... (5:29 PM) : 

Its quirky but I think it looks a little untidy dont you?

 

Blogger Anna-bird said ... (5:33 PM) : 

interesting twist.

http://anna-gemutlichkeit.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Tony Post No Bills | Washington DC said ... (5:35 PM) : 

Pop your collar?

 

Anonymous OLSEN said ... (5:48 PM) : 

How do you do that?

 

Blogger Click on Styles said ... (5:53 PM) : 

hahahhaha Cool!!!


http://clickonstyles.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Lena said ... (5:59 PM) : 

The first picture is lovely!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:03 PM) : 

I certainly dig it, though I feel like it wouldn't stay in place for long, especially if one is engaging in anything more active than walking around the city.

 

Blogger The Louche said ... (6:03 PM) : 

This happens to me accidentally sometimes. I had no idea it was officially sanctioned sprezzatura. For shame, now I know better.

 

Blogger davidikus said ... (6:12 PM) : 

Trying to look effortlessly cool is very effortfull!

http://davidikus.blogspot.com/
http://www.davidranc.com

 

Anonymous Edgar C. said ... (6:21 PM) : 

i do this already, but because I'm absent-minded!

 

Blogger b said ... (6:35 PM) : 

the japanese always look great, speaking of those that i've seen in person...this shows they care about the very small details

 

Anonymous The Prestige said ... (6:36 PM) : 

Japan knows whats up. Keep shooting in japan!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:44 PM) : 

Next silly trend will be to wear it inside out.....I believe that one begins next week in Japan.

 

Anonymous emmycollins.com said ... (6:45 PM) : 

I like that.I do stuff like ghetting all suited up and the no socks.

www.emmycollins.com. sleek but edgy menswear

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:46 PM) : 

I like the whimsical touches of flipped collar and flower boutonnière. I think that it's refreshing to contrast traditional masculinity in such ways.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:51 PM) : 

I like the people who is sure of yes same at the moment of dressing and who has personality at the moment of doing it. Regards from andalucía!
www.laurameponeflamenca.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:05 PM) : 

"Japanese" and "nonchalant" do not belong in the same sentence. calculated creativity is boring.

 

Blogger J. said ... (7:07 PM) : 

Oh my, that is so cute !I love how creative the japanese can get, haha !

http://freneticlyfrenzy.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Ellie said ... (7:08 PM) : 

That is AWESOME.

 

Anonymous Dana said ... (7:14 PM) : 

Love the flower on the lapel. I used to live in Japan (blew all my money on designer clothing in consignment shops. For example a Costume National wool coat for equivalent of $80!I highly recommend you find some). They have so much fun with fashion over there.

 

Blogger the nyanzi report said ... (7:21 PM) : 

i'm thinking, secret code.
it must be.

 

Blogger Lisa said ... (7:24 PM) : 

Kakkoii! :) I would try it

 

Anonymous costume jewellery wholesale said ... (7:32 PM) : 

Interesting look, wonder what kind of response that would get out here in the UK!?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:34 PM) : 

Soon they'll be popping their collar all the way....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:46 PM) : 

That's so cool! I'm liking that style.

xx The Little Dust Princess

 

Anonymous jimjims said ... (7:48 PM) : 

hah! cool.

i was there last spring doing some work.

must be a new thing.

rad!

http://jimjims.net

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:17 PM) : 

flower button...top!
the rest...ridiculous!

 

Blogger KC said ... (8:45 PM) : 

going back to the romantic style? it will be nice.

nouveauskin.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Vinda Sonata said ... (8:56 PM) : 

hey that's a good idea!


http://vindavindasonata.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:08 PM) : 

wow small thing makes big difference! genius. x


http://cestlamademoiselle.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger CINCHED AT THE WAIST said ... (9:10 PM) : 

the half pop, jaja how marvelous!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:22 PM) : 

Can't wait to spot one here on the west coast.

 

Blogger Melika said ... (9:40 PM) : 

I love that! Polished and disheveled at the same time. xx

______________________________

www.cheapthrillas.blogspot.com
______________________________

 

Blogger Sebastian said ... (9:52 PM) : 

Most my shirts do that naturally from neglect! ebay time!

 

Blogger Hà Hải Anh Graphic Designer said ... (10:03 PM) : 

Scott,

This is probably one of my most favorite posts. Please do more post like this about men’s fashion.

P.S: I am a woman.

 

Blogger BlumeBloom said ... (10:12 PM) : 

I love that the first photo looks so accidental.
How tiring though, to have to work at looking nonchalant.

 

Anonymous istarblog said ... (10:13 PM) : 

want to wear the same thing

 

Anonymous finkalixius said ... (10:13 PM) : 

i likey these

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:14 PM) : 

to those who say it looks sloppy or ridiculous...........please. if it were italians doing this, u'd be all over it.

 

Blogger Hadley Makes said ... (10:22 PM) : 

I LOVE it. Panache with cute. I wonder how they flip it, though. Artful ironing with starch?

 

Blogger N50325 said ... (10:31 PM) : 

I didn't know it even I'm a Japanese...

 

Blogger Yoli said ... (10:43 PM) : 

I LOVE IT!!!!

 

Anonymous ABfashion said ... (11:25 PM) : 

i like it too) and i think skirts with lines nwill always in style.

 

Anonymous Monique said ... (11:44 PM) : 

That's fun. :)

 

Anonymous candleashes said ... (11:49 PM) : 

that's pretty cool. like :)

 

Blogger Charlie said ... (12:29 AM) : 

The flower lapel pin is made by Lanvin. It came free in last month's issue of a Japanese men's fashion magazine called "Men's Precious." I actually wore mine for the first time a week ago; got a million compliments on it! Comes in a bunch of different color combinations-- mine's the same as the one in the picture here.

 

Blogger StuddedLilly said ... (2:33 AM) : 

liking the flip! and that little curve that its holding up at the tip of the collar!
xx

 

Blogger Grace Escudero - The Afeminada said ... (2:42 AM) : 

This is really interesting..I enjoy seeing how different parts of the world differ in how they dress up.

http://www.theafeminada.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:54 AM) : 

Are the collar's altered this way, or do the designers just insert a convexed collar support?
I can't quite seem to understand how they get that flip at the end of the collar.
Either way, I think this is an interesting approach at being nonchalant, if that really is the aim of the collar flip in the first place.

 

Anonymous Sophie Mhabille said ... (4:02 AM) : 

Very elegant. I like the kawai little flower

 

Blogger Sara Lee Bentley said ... (4:08 AM) : 

So cute! It sounds so Japanese to me -- aren't they always coming up with cute/cool things? I'm sure the guys will be copycating them over here before too long!

 

Blogger caribbelle said ... (4:11 AM) : 

this is a really cool detail...I'd like to see it fully executed

 

Blogger Suzanne said ... (4:15 AM) : 

I hope this replaces the frat boy collar flip ASAP. Come on people, let's promote this! :)

 

Anonymous ana said ... (4:25 AM) : 

I would love to see someone with that. I seems stylish

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:27 AM) : 

Love it!

 

Blogger Erica said ... (4:31 AM) : 

I had no idea. I'll have to keep a look out for it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:52 AM) : 

then what is the collar tip for?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:56 AM) : 

then what are Collar stiffeners for?

 

Anonymous Esmeralda said ... (5:03 AM) : 

What a crazy thing fashion is!!!
Kisses

 

Anonymous TJ said ... (5:45 AM) : 

This is fairly common in India as well - a carryover from 60's and 70's Bollywood style. Interesting to see it in a place as different from India as Japan.

 

Blogger Miss DeltaG said ... (6:18 AM) : 

ooooo sì!!!!love it!

Eleonora
www.neovecchiostile.it

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:52 AM) : 

Actually, this is a Saville Row thing. Certain gentleman who get their shirts custom made have been specifying that one collar point be longer than the other for decades (to achieve this very effect).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:10 AM) : 

Reminds me of some of my old scruffy school masters who were inadvertently wearing their collars like this years ago!

 

Anonymous classiq said ... (7:18 AM) : 

I did NOT know that!

 

Blogger Angela said ... (7:23 AM) : 

I think it's pretty understandable, I don't like it. There's a habit of leaving the collars of polo tees up as well.

It annoys me.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:24 AM) : 

I think Japanese guys often get on and take off their jackets and don't pay attention to their collars. I think that's how these happen.
Or, we have a short neck and if we straighten(or tuck in) a collar, it looks a bit tight around a neck. When I wear a button-down shirt, I never button two small buttons on the collar.

 

Anonymous Christian said ... (7:27 AM) : 

Nice, I always avoid to put the sticks int he collar to get that effect! Someone says orrible, SOme Girls say: "so nice". Tha nonchalant effect is cool when you have a very nice shirt with well made collar. Nice that you posted it, Scott!

 

Anonymous comme fraiche said ... (7:37 AM) : 

On Wall St. this "look" happens when you don't check yourself in the mirror before leaving for work.

 

Blogger alastair said ... (7:59 AM) : 

ahhh, i dunno, it could work in a subtle way. i just have visions of all the japanese host bars doing something like this, in a very gaudy way haha.

 

Anonymous Kerry said ... (8:15 AM) : 

During my trips to Japan I couldn't help but notice how stylish the men and women were, but this collar thing? I wish I could reach into that first photo and smooth down that collar!

 

Blogger An Aesthete's Lament said ... (8:16 AM) : 

Rather Agnelli, don't you think?

 

Anonymous patriciabythesea said ... (8:22 AM) : 

I agree with those that say this is contrived... How odd to have to "do" something to "appear" nonchalant. You either are, or you aren't.

 

Blogger CabinetParts.com said ... (8:34 AM) : 

Japan is the epicenter of cool!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:41 AM) : 

ugh...horrible

 

Blogger Suzie Bee said ... (9:04 AM) : 

I'm not so keen. It looks a bit like they just couldn't be bothered to iron their shirt collar and it curled by accident.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:35 AM) : 

it is so calculated that how in the world could this appear nonchalant? Having dinner with a guy that flips his collar? Like pulling out fingernails one. at. a. time.

 

Blogger Carly said ... (9:36 AM) : 

This is very unusual. Thanks for letting us in on this style secret :)

http://dailybreadafashionblog.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous The Photodiarist said ... (9:41 AM) : 

But is it nonchalant to work to appear nonchalant? Not so much. It would be cooler if it just "happened".

 

Blogger Burn the Blonde said ... (9:52 AM) : 

Fascinating! If a guy did that here someone would probably try 'fix' his collar for him.

Inspirational.

Burn the Blonde

 

Anonymous Maryanne said ... (10:37 AM) : 

like the idea of men's suits being lightened up.
women's clothing has evolved and so should men's.
what makes the first photo interesting is the shape and colour of the geometric in the tie, mimics the floral lapel pin.

the non chalance of a flipped up collar is fresh.

 

Blogger Nicole Craven said ... (11:31 AM) : 

I love seeing men's fashion done correctly!! this is perfect! thanks

 

Anonymous Paul (UK) said ... (12:10 PM) : 

Mmmm, I'm undecided! It's a thin line, stylish vs. pretentious... love that the Japanese play with the subtle details, and keep classic style alive (check out the reissued 'Ivy Look' book for preppy heaven), but maybe I'm too conditioned by collar stays...

The Savile Row thing about stays from Anonymous is interesting...I don't think there can be any stay in the top pic, short or not.

As usual the blog continues to challenge, and so it should. Bravo!

 

Anonymous greg.org said ... (12:22 PM) : 

Maybe collar stays are banned by Japanese airport security?

I have to say, coming 100+ comments into this situation, the abject enthusiasm over a detail that's normally associated with schlubs who only wear a collared shirt when they're going to family court is highly entertaining.

 

Blogger THE CRAFT said ... (1:22 PM) : 

I never knew this! but i love it!!

The Craft
http://thecraftiswhatyoumakeit.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Daviddixit said ... (1:41 PM) : 

Very funny ... is it April first again already ?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:42 PM) : 

It is a take off on Italian Style. Scott detailed it himself in the beginning when he discussed Fabio Borrelli removing his shirt stays. Although Fabio is a salesman and massages the habit "to be comfortable", not wearing stays in your shirt, a common practice in the South of Italy, creates this look as your shirt collar starts to stick up and out. No offense to the Japanese, but this another thing they took from Italian styling.

 

Blogger Katherine said ... (1:59 PM) : 

Oh wow, this is such a small detail that I normally would not notice! But I can see how it would have that nonchalant effect, especially if I saw it over and over again!

www.LaPetiteMarmoset.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:02 PM) : 

Haha, where did that come from? Would love to know who or what originated it..

The annoying thing about trends is that the moment something becomes a trend, it's already passé really..

Not to be negative, just an observation :)

 

Anonymous Stephanie said ... (2:09 PM) : 

Those are some great styles for men.

 

Blogger Helgaburdina said ... (2:18 PM) : 

I LOVE IT!!!! :)

 

Blogger Yoko said ... (4:25 PM) : 

So subtle. I love Japan!

 

Anonymous Thomas said ... (5:00 PM) : 

I rocked this look last Thursday when I forgot my collar stays- everybody at work "fixed" my collar all day- Don't know if Atlanta is ready for this look!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:02 PM) : 

It looks a bit quirky. I don't think it would be appropriate during work 'cause it gives a twisted feeling about that person.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:25 PM) : 

I've actually noticed this in some french new wave films! Have you seen The 400 Blows by Truffaut? The little boy's father has his collar like this the entire time.

 

Anonymous bqueen said ... (9:39 PM) : 

Ladies Slingbacks
Ladies Wedges

 

Anonymous ClsIT said ... (10:42 PM) : 

There is such a clear distinction between the purposeful collar flip and the unkempt accidental collar flip. Honestly, does the guy in the picture look like an absent minded school master or a trader who just forgot to check the mirror before heading to work? Of course not. The line between the sloppy and the rakishly nonchalant is obvious here. Don't cross it and you're golden.

 

Anonymous korean japan clothing said ... (11:02 PM) : 

really like this post!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:05 AM) : 

It looks a bit ridiculous with the suit collar, but I think it might work without the suit.

 

Blogger Annie Wright said ... (3:38 AM) : 

Thank you, Scott! I learned something new today.

 

Anonymous donna said ... (6:40 AM) : 

i dunno. trying too hard? but look at your post of 9/3/10! the difference between effortless and contrived...

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:42 AM) : 

Cool thing!! I like it and I'm gonna try it asap!! :)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:45 AM) : 

yes, i like it too! although, i think using the collar flip requires a degree of being overall, formally polished. nothing else can be out of sorts - it would seem - if you are going to use the collar flip. otherwise it would appear unintentional, haphazard.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:49 AM) : 

The little flower is by an Italian company called Lardini.

 

Blogger The Eza said ... (12:27 PM) : 

Its not that original tuxedo shirts have collars that I am sure inspired this look. To me it looks like he needs his suit lapel and his shirt collar pressed.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:36 PM) : 

so cool, but at the same time it makes my OCD self a little uneasy^^

my fashion inspiration blog:
http://www.chantalhughes.wordpress.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:48 PM) : 

This is just a sign of an untidy mind.

 

Anonymous Dig said ... (2:20 PM) : 

Collar: Awful
Flower: Amazing

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:00 PM) : 

Come on people. Over here (in Finland) all the teenagers in middle school do that. Seriously....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:26 PM) : 

I do not like it at all!! It makes me want to tuck it back in the jacket....where it belongs!

 

Anonymous Indposhiv said ... (5:35 PM) : 

Looks like wings... but careless.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:54 AM) : 

Am most pleased that this picture is engendering a discussion on Japanese quirks.

It would be most refreshing if you would do this - Show us pictures of classy but fashionably offbeat Asian girls, Scott. Especially the Korean and Japanese ladies, please.

p.s. I am a female residing in Asia; in case anyone is wondering....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:06 AM) : 

Pre-fab sprezzatura for the masses - I think I'll pass...

 

Anonymous Specialward said ... (2:31 PM) : 

Oh wow, people really will do anything these days won't they? What next? "oh hey guys, hold up, I need to spill some coffee on my lapel so I don't look so put together." GTFO, this is one of the worst trends I've heard of. face-palm.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:37 PM) : 

I love Japan!

 

Blogger cloudo3 said ... (12:44 AM) : 

subtle but effective! amazing

 

Anonymous Archibald said ... (3:16 AM) : 

Oh gosh! That looks so spontanteous...

Shouldn't nonchalance give, well, a nonchalant look?

I guess it is possible to catch one or two litte japanese men, carefully placing their collars in that position, hoping noone will see them doing it.

Synthetic sprezzatura gone bad.

 

Anonymous George said ... (4:19 AM) : 

Could anyone kindly point me towards a source for those lovely flower-pins?
Someone mentioned Lanvin and a japanese magazine above, but so far searching for that has failed to come up with anything...

Thanks a bunch!

George

 

Blogger A La Mode said ... (2:17 PM) : 

Wow, that's so funny!

 

Blogger SMCLA Location Team said ... (9:50 PM) : 

I think it's a bit ironic to intentionally flip your collar to appear nonchalant. Why not just be nonchalant and let your collar do what it will?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:34 AM) : 

The shirt looks like it needs to be ironed.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:44 PM) : 

flower >> LARDINI
the flower is combined with the jacket

 

Blogger nunu said ... (5:19 PM) : 

I didn't know these were deliberately done!
my b/f got one of these in Japan and I thought it needed to be ironed
but I guess I was wrong!!
collars up/ hands up!
nonchalant it is!! :)

 

Blogger betty said ... (10:48 AM) : 

I was on vacation in Japan this fall and saw a few guys on the subway wearing their shirts this way, and we thought that they were in a hurry getting dressed and forgot to tuck in the collars!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:03 PM) : 

I think I will definitely have to be trying this.

 

Anonymous Rob said ... (8:15 PM) : 

Can you buy pre-bent collar stays to ahieve the perfect look?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:44 PM) : 

I've never seen it though I'm living in Japan right now...
hmmm, gonna try to find it.

 

Anonymous el mundo en un espejo said ... (3:41 AM) : 

I like flower pink!!!
elmundoenunespejo.jimdo.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:44 PM) : 

Been searching all over for a lapel flower like that. Found some that might just be cooler at JandHP.com

Great pic.

 

Anonymous Charles said ... (1:55 PM) : 

These Lapel flowers are quite snazzy http://jandhp.bigcartel.com/product/yellow-and-pink

 

Anonymous Jim said ... (5:58 PM) : 

whatever.....

 

Blogger Little Lovables said ... (10:21 AM) : 

I rather like this, perhaps not for every occasion, but I truly think it's a little hot.

 

Blogger Josh said ... (3:41 AM) : 

This is really easy to do.
Wear a widespread collar in the morning without the collar stays.
By the afternoon the shirt will develop a natural "roll" like this and it looks more relaxed yet elegent and tends to lengthen our "short" necks.

BUT taking yanking it out of the jacket...I find too manipulated...and it shows that you tried too hard...

 

Anonymous Harrison Dunn said ... (8:55 AM) : 

A bit of a weird thing to come about but the more I see it the more I like it

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:32 PM) : 

I guess I'm more traditional than I thought, but, uh... no!

 

Blogger jaehoon said ... (12:37 AM) : 

love it!

 

Anonymous Benn said ... (7:43 PM) : 

In a word. No.

 

Anonymous DiamondVirgin.com said ... (4:12 AM) : 

Love the suit ... look at all the lines - they all match! sublime piece of tailoring excellence!

www.diamondvirgin.com

 

Blogger Liam said ... (11:53 AM) : 

I decided to try this out today. I'm curious as to whether anyone will comment on it.

 

Blogger Brianne said ... (10:29 PM) : 

It's an adorable flip, I'll admit. Not sure how well that nonchalance would fly in a business meeting, though. Or a date, where you want to feel you're worth impressing.

http://international-fashion.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Sixty Bricks said ... (8:42 PM) : 

ridiculous

 

Anonymous Swan said ... (9:05 PM) : 

I was a fan of the tie over the should "accidentally" look, reserved for the end of the day.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:54 PM) : 

Love this! I remember in Hong Kong everyone in the business district (I mean EVERYONE) was in a black suit. Man or woman, so sometimes pants and sometimes a skirt with the woman, but always, always, ultrablack fine fabric. And the shirts were white or some shade of blue in 99.9% of the cases. Don't know if you can compare this with Tokyo, but I'm thinking you'd latch onto any little personal style fillip you can get away with....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:08 AM) : 

collar flip H&M ???

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:32 PM) : 

Never seen or heard about flipping collars...though I've lived in Japan almost 30yrs. I wonder how the collars are kept flipped...

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting