This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

What Chic American Women Wear To Work Out, New York

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, September 07, 2010

What Chic American Women Wear To Work Out, New York

Does your personal style translate to your workout?

I know I always look forward to exercising more if I have gear that I like. When I look like a slob, I usually work out like a slob.

Am I overthinking this?

Comments on "What Chic American Women Wear To Work Out, New York"

 

Blogger Gabby / Gypsy*Diaries said ... (2:44 PM) : 

I'm loving her workout style and I couldn't agree with you more! :)
xxx

http://gypsy-diaries.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:45 PM) : 

He's Italian, and probably she is too. ;-)

 

Blogger paristempslibre said ... (2:47 PM) : 

love her body!!!
i never worked out as much ever since velib appeared in paris!
xo

 

Blogger Devon said ... (2:47 PM) : 

That outfit is pure goodness. x

 

Anonymous le cairene said ... (2:47 PM) : 

hm.. no. I am picky about what I wear when I go workout. Especially with all those mirrors they have at gyms. I have to like what I see-- it puts me in the right mood. :)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:49 PM) : 

excersing is taking care of your body, thus it only make sense that looking and feeling good while doing it is necessary

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:49 PM) : 

You're not overthinking, i belive it too. But a bag like this woman's is difficult to carry when jogging

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:50 PM) : 

Those pants remind me of the young men who wear their pants belted under their butts. Or Oompa Loompas.

She looks great from the waist up though!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:50 PM) : 

Agreed. New gear makes me look forward to going to the gym. Also, when I look good I feel like I am ready to conquer the workout.

Not loving the pants on this woman though.

 

Blogger Olimpia Elide B. said ... (2:53 PM) : 

"Simple girls are the prettiest"
Audrey Hepburn
;)))

 

Blogger For The Love Of Fashion And Other Things said ... (2:55 PM) : 

Its elementary psychology :) When you look better, you obviously feel better and that reflects in your performance. Thats some stylish gym gear!!
http://fortheloveoffashionandotherthings.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:55 PM) : 

Yes, you are. Workout clothes need to be utilitarian.

 

Blogger shayna said ... (2:56 PM) : 

Wow, she has such shoulder muscles. Do the muscles come with the super cool workout clothes?

 

Blogger FASHION SNAG said ... (2:57 PM) : 

As long as the clothes are comfortable and fit me well I work out pretty well. x

www.FashionSnag.com

 

Blogger Ms.Paradise said ... (2:59 PM) : 

No, Not at all.I agree 100%. I notice she is wearing a Stella Mccartney for Adidas top. I think this line is brilliant, and wear it myself.At the gym,jogging and Tennis. I think active wear is an over-looked market. She looks great.

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (3:00 PM) : 

No, it doesn't matter to me. When I'm at the gym and I'm wearing my fave workout t-shirt (with holes...) I train harder than when I'm wearing a t-shirt which will make me look attractive. :)

 

Anonymous sandwiches said ... (3:03 PM) : 

the gym is the only place where i really don't care what i'm wearing. i'm there to sweat and not to look good.

 

Blogger Alexandra said ... (3:04 PM) : 

I completely agree. My favorite workout clothes are from LuLuLemon and I find that I work SO much harder when I look cute!

 

Anonymous Belligero said ... (3:06 PM) : 

Not a fan of the diaper pants.

 

Anonymous hukurou.tumblr.com said ... (3:07 PM) : 

Definately disagree if you think you're overthinking! It is very true that if you have good gear, it makes you feel better and more dedicated to excercising, as you have purposely bought them for doing so.

=OvO=

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:08 PM) : 

Actually, I think the Audrey Hepburn quote is "happy girls are the prettiest girls".

And I think that asking "are we overthinking it" in the context of fashion is probably besides the point.

 

Blogger caroline said ... (3:09 PM) : 

I exercise by incorporating small activities into my day: walking the dogs, running up and down the stairs at work, easy hikes in the woods, light weight lifting at home, and leisurely bike rides. Since all of the above can be done in a skirt and heels, that's usually what I'm wearing. :)

 

Anonymous jimjims said ... (3:10 PM) : 

ya i guess image does matter a little when working out.

interesting outfit though.

http://jimjims.net

 

Anonymous Best of Beehive said ... (3:10 PM) : 

If you feel confident, you will be more confident in what you do. So it makes sense to me.

 

Anonymous h said ... (3:18 PM) : 

So true

 

Blogger yoshi said ... (3:22 PM) : 

I go to workout not stand around and chat about others peoples clothes. Clothes only need to be comfortable. If you are worrying about how you look in the gym you are simply not working hard.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:24 PM) : 

I won an olympic medal and my training outfit was a hanes t-shirt and any old pair of shorts. Something snazzy might inspire some though.

 

Blogger stephanie. said ... (3:31 PM) : 

I don't think your overthinking...

but I do agree with Felicity and the oompa loompa pants--not flattering. But great arms!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:33 PM) : 

The pants make her legs look very short...

 

Blogger Jennie Nguyen said ... (3:38 PM) : 

stylish workout outfit!

xx http://jnsoo.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Alice said ... (3:42 PM) : 

I don't really like the pants (they have the amazing gift to look bad on everyone), but I agree, nice work-out clothes make me feel more confident and energetic.

Alice
Tokyo Quadrille

 

Blogger Pergolina said ... (3:42 PM) : 

i agree with you. looking great and feeling great pretty much go hand and hand. and especially since the gym is littered with mirrors.

 

Anonymous elmundoenunespejo.jimdo.com said ... (3:46 PM) : 

We work most part of the day, so Be wonderful all day!!
elmundoenunespejo.jimdo.com

 

Blogger Alexandra said ... (3:46 PM) : 

No, I invest in workout gear that I like too. I don't feel good about myself when I'm running in a baggy T-shirt and some old soccer shorts, and so I don't enjoy my workout as much. Totally agree with you and loving this day of workout posts!

Alexandra xo

http://tovogueorbust.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:47 PM) : 

OMFG!
I have the very same Adidas by Stella McCartney top!!!!
But dear Scott, mine is better: it is LIME Yellow!

TOTALLY LOVE IT!!!

http://the-d-planet.blogspot.cm

 

Blogger Secondhand Smash said ... (3:48 PM) : 

Sadly, I don't care what I look like when I work out, as long as I go...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:49 PM) : 

This makes me laugh so much. With you! :) I used to be a national-level athlete and my workout gear always had holes in it. My club made fun of me because I'd show up to early-morning Saturday workouts in old handknitted wool sweaters (running sweaters!). I retired from competition in 2005, but recently I've started training again. I was just saying to my training partner that I might splurge on a new top (he was laughing at my top from 1990 and my ripped pants from 1998). I don't know. I guess that sport is pure to me. Fashion doesn't enter into it. It's all about the workout and the intensity of the mind! My non-workout style is classic/elegant, so the two don't match except metaphorically.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:50 PM) : 

Love the top, hate the pants. And I agree with a previous comment that workout gear must work as street wear, as we NYCers are usually going to and from the gym from somewhere else.

Love my classes at Exhale at the Gansevoort. No mirrors, just awesome instructors, so no awkward "ooh - is that what I look like?" moment when I'm releasing my inner Gisele.

 

Blogger Mary Beth said ... (3:50 PM) : 

We don't wear those kinds of pants here in Chicago. Ever.


I app-solutely ♥
my ✄ Fabric U ✄
iPhone app!
http://tinyurl.com/242bua9

 

Anonymous Sarah Reilly said ... (3:52 PM) : 

The aesthete as athlete. I approve wholeheartedly.

 

Blogger On the Glam said ... (3:53 PM) : 

Top half looks fab, but that bottom half makes her look like her legs are 2 inches long. but then again, it's a workout outfit, so I suppose you can't be too picky

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:55 PM) : 

OMG I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE!!!

 

Blogger Ray said ... (3:57 PM) : 

Well I'm still a student but I don't even go to school with my sports wear,that's why its called sports cause it's for practice.Anyway Her outfit is great!Love Adidas:)))

 

Blogger Raquel M.B.G. said ... (3:58 PM) : 

You're not overthinking... It's all about consistency. Raquel
www.bomsensoemformadegente.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Lisa Petrarca said ... (3:58 PM) : 

I think your onto something here Scott! Never really thought about it before.

 

Anonymous Tobalo said ... (4:02 PM) : 

yes, you are... those oversized shorts are not appropriate for cycling and/or running... Workingout with style means a clean, beautiful and practical outfit, not a bunch of fabric that prevents you from exercising aerobically...

 

Blogger erin nuts said ... (4:06 PM) : 

I agree with your point, and I think that feeling like you look good while you work out even enhances how much better the actual workout makes you feel. However, assuming that the point IS to actually work out, the outfit should still be practical...which I don't see here. Harem pants are maybe the least sensible thing you could wear to run, do an elliptical, use a machine, anything. I get it but I think she's missing the point.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:07 PM) : 

No, you're not at all over-thinking it.

 

Anonymous LIZPR said ... (4:08 PM) : 

You are not overthinking this! I'm with you - I exercise better in well-fitting, pretty, brightly coloured outfits. Yes. I am a Lululemon whore! Great pic.

 

Blogger Morgan, Hi! said ... (4:09 PM) : 

Great body, disguised under hideous gear. I'm all for looking stylish under any circumstances, but this is completely unflattering, and all that bagginess looks like it would get in the way of a great workout.

 

Blogger Max said ... (4:11 PM) : 

No, you're not.

The idea of expressing yourself, even when doing something athletic, is not a foreign concept.

Jerry Rice always believed you had to look good to play good. Deion Sanders did as well, and would even "layer" his football uniform.

Do a quick google search to find out more, but whether or not you "like" what they are wearing, its pretty clear that they are expressing themselves, even on the field.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:11 PM) : 

her thighs obviously don't rub together...

 

Anonymous Mabel and Zora said ... (4:13 PM) : 

So true.

 

Blogger Eleanor Blackham said ... (4:16 PM) : 

I agree completely, you have to feel good in work-out gear to want to work out! Weird!

Ellie Rose

 

Blogger Fasshionxenophile said ... (4:16 PM) : 

yes, ... for me.

I have that Stella McCartney tank top w/ sheer back in neon green instead and I love exercising in style.

 

Blogger culturcated said ... (4:19 PM) : 

let me recommend "the swiss label" for workout. simple style, great no-colours colours and a perfect quality!

 

Blogger Connie Staccato said ... (4:19 PM) : 

You are NOT overthinking this. The only thing worse than looking like a slob (in ANY situation, unless you're painting your house), is to look like you spent several hundred dollars on perfectly matched "walking" clothes (ladies, you're going for a walk, not climbing the Himalayas).

Wait, maybe that isn't worse...

www.underemployedistheneworganic.com

 

Blogger culturcated said ... (4:20 PM) : 

let me recommend "the swiss label" for workout. simple style, great no-colours colours and a perfect quality!

 

Blogger TransCultureGirl said ... (4:20 PM) : 

absolutely NOT overthinking this... most people workout to maintain good-looks right? So why not look good while doing it? It only makes sense.

 

Blogger scubakitty said ... (4:21 PM) : 

Don't think you're over-thinking it, but as an athlete sometimes I don't take too much time to think about it. I run through swimsuits so fast (they stretch, tear, etc) I'll sometimes layer 3 or 4 to be sure all my girlie parts are covered, AND I've just given myself some extra drag. Hmmm, or perhaps layers of my fave suits (cos they were pretty at first!) fits in with my boho style :*)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:24 PM) : 

If we thought twice about every single thing we wore,would we ever leave the house? Its nice to look a little dishevelled every now and then.
And those pants don't look like they're made for running..or walking for that matter!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:25 PM) : 

Well she looks great, has a lovely toned body and yet for me it really doesn't matter what I wear to work out. It's all about the actual exercise I am doing and not how I look whilst I am doing it. What is important to me is how I feel in my body as I exercise, and I love that toned feeling i get afterwards, it makes no difference what I wear.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:25 PM) : 

I disagree with the majority of commenters here; as a competitive powerlifter I wear the rattiest tshirts when I train...shirts with holes, sweat and blood stains, and a million other stains that are a result of bacteria growing on it...I love when these workout shirts come out of the laundry and I can't wait to put them on for my next training session.

IMO conventional sport fashion standards, like the one depicted here, have no place in a true athlete's training wardrobe...most of the athletes I know prize their attire which most would deem as more suited to be used as rags than clothing.

True gym fashion is something else entirely! But to each, their own I guess.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:33 PM) : 

I completely agree with you! I love the trousers!! If I had this it would definitely make me want to work out more!!!


www.styleisalwaysfashionable.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:34 PM) : 

Honestly, I agree with you 100%. I don't think you're overthinking it at all.... as a matter of fact, if the clothes I like to workout in are in the wash, I get too lazy to workout because I dont feel good... am I overthinking it? LOL

 

Blogger M said ... (4:36 PM) : 

Sorry, but that's an awful workout look. Bad enough at the gym, let alone out on the street. Only in America... And I should know, I'm American myself.

 

Anonymous Maddox Kent said ... (4:37 PM) : 

If you worry what you look like when you exercise, you're not concentrating on your exercise... and exercise only looks good when you're fully focused on the activity itself. I hate shorts and never wear them in real life since they look absurd on me, but I make an exception for when I'm running - and as long as I'm just running, and nothing else, the shorts stop looking ridiculous and become a clearly practical measure.
That said, I still colour-match. A man must maintain certain standards ;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:38 PM) : 

No I don't think you're overthinking this. If I dressed for a work out class like the woman in this picture, I probably wouldn't work as hard.
If you dress the part, no matter what the part is, you're more likely to act the part.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:43 PM) : 

Oui, exactement.

 

Blogger Anna Brambilla personal shopper, stylist said ... (4:46 PM) : 

I wish I could look that chick on my workout!
http://fashionstalkermilano.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous jdit said ... (4:49 PM) : 

She has a stunningly beautiful body and the posture of someone who is very fit but I can't help thinking that the pants make her look like she missed a step when she was toddler...?

 

Anonymous GMc said ... (4:49 PM) : 

It comes down to your goal when working out. If you're working out simply to affect how you look, then you'll care about what you look like while you're working out. If you care about working out for function and real development, then functional clothing is all that matters.

But in the end, superficial exercise is better than no exercise at all, so whatever gets you to the gym is worthwhile.

 

Blogger laylablue said ... (4:56 PM) : 

you are not over thinking; that being said, i l.o.v.e. her tanks/top, but am not in love with the bottoms. they remind me of m.c. hammer pants, and i am sorry to admit that i wore a pair in high school.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:00 PM) : 

I don't think you are, but beware the other side of the issue. If you are "too dressed" for the gym are you really there to work out? Also, that fellow desperately needs to rethink those red trainers with his white pants.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:00 PM) : 

Whether we feel mentally mightier for our attire and/or try to intimidate the competition, proper gear always enhances a workout, and being stylish gives an additional edge to any sport! Love that you have gone down this path!

 

Blogger JAKARECH said ... (5:03 PM) : 

I totally agree with this! I just came back from the gym with that endorphin high and I was thinking how much I actually enjoy working out. Then I started thinking how much better it would be with nicer workout clothes.

xo
http://cestclassique.blogspot.com

 

Blogger KristiMcMurry said ... (5:10 PM) : 

You aren't overthinking it at all. I feel better when I'm wearing flattering clothes...which makes me have a better work out experience.

 

Anonymous Emily Ulrich said ... (5:44 PM) : 

I love the idea of working out in cute/comfy clothing... but truthfully I don't. The cutest I've been able to get is spandex volleyball shorts and Northface fleeces. :\ I guess its because I don't really "work out" (at the gym, I mean). I generally opt for at-home yoga and walking.

 

Anonymous mgik said ... (5:49 PM) : 

YUP, I also think that looking like a slob won't motivate you into exercising more. Some people who go to the gym are not subtle in their outfits though; while some people are naturally just good-looking in their workout clothes.

ps. some Lululemon outfits motivate me :-)

 

Blogger Anna said ... (5:54 PM) : 

As a dancer, I know that what I wear will affect my confidence and dancing, with all that being surrounded by mirrors! So your thinking is definitely not overthinking.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:55 PM) : 

yes overthinking it! I work out a lot and hard and I wear whatever is the most practical and comfortable. Which is not always what is the most goodlooking.

 

Anonymous HW90 said ... (6:07 PM) : 

She looks really cool. You're not over thinking it, though I would recommend keeping you gear and your workouts simple. It will keep you consistent.

 

Blogger Francesca Robertson said ... (6:15 PM) : 

i dont like to think about it bc when i work out i dont want to think, i just want to release. i usually wear yoga pants and a wife beater- i think going to the gym should be mindless, like drinking a glass of water, good for you, refreshing and necessary

xoxo,
F

http://lekisskiss.blogspot.com <-- Texas gal bloggin fashion from NYC!

 

Anonymous Isabel said ... (6:16 PM) : 

I am picky. But I personally dislike her outfit... specially the trousers. Fot a flattering combination, for my taste.

 

Blogger Dannie said ... (6:38 PM) : 

I totally agree, I have to be put together when i work or my drive isnt as strong, feer sure ;)this is awesome, i loove how she paired a sports bra with harem esque pants, makes for a great sillohuete!

 

Blogger Paulus said ... (6:38 PM) : 

It's an indication of just how unwearable those pants are that she looks great despite them. No one, literally no one, has ever carried them off. Or, to put it another way, no one has ever looked better in those pants than they would wearing something else.

 

Blogger Nolita said ... (6:42 PM) : 

Nolita prefers chic french ladies choice this time i.e leopard print, over chic american women.


--Nolita Vintage--

 

Anonymous Christa51 said ... (6:43 PM) : 

Not sure if it's the same in NY, but here in LA, you're nobody if you're not wearing Lululemon pants... it's very silly.

Personally I prefer wearing scrubby stuff. The nicer things make me feel like I ought to be preening myself and keeping my outfit pristine, rather than working up a sweat. But that's just me!

 

Anonymous Jackson said ... (6:46 PM) : 

Interestingly, your photos have a really different feel and vibe of late...have you become bored with your style? Something is happening and I can't quite put my finger on it. In this particular study, it's the posture for one, especially the inturned foot. Whilst the girl's back and the composition of the photograph is you, there's a lack of detail to it that is not you. Maybe I'm overthinking this!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:58 PM) : 

I personally think anyone who spends a lot of money for clothes to sweat in needs their head examined.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:16 PM) : 

working out in style gives you that attitude that usually any good outfit does of 'look at me... i can conquer the world', which of course translates into your workout. plus to me fabric and quality are very important, especially for work out outfits. I have a couple of pants or shoes that literally make me want to run around... not to mention the stella 4 adidas top that makes me what to have the flattest tummy...
as for the photo...i spent most of my summer in harem pants :D

 

Anonymous Grace said ... (7:25 PM) : 

I'm afraid those pants don't do anything nice for what looks like an enviable physique.

When I work out in beat up old clothes, I feel more authentic!

www.cultofclothes.com

 

Blogger Jennifer said ... (7:28 PM) : 

I'm not loving the drop-crotch pants. They don't work outside of the gym either. They remind me of those horrible baggy loudly-patterned pants guys wore back in the early 90s. Not good. Then again, maybe the gym is just the place to wear your bad fashion buys.

 

Blogger Angel said ... (7:28 PM) : 

They kind of look like Hammer Pants, but that's the great part of it all. Gotta Love NYC.

angelspov.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Jennifer said ... (7:29 PM) : 

Not to mention that they make her most-likely nice legs look really short and stumpy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:31 PM) : 

Totally agree. If you look good, you feel good, and work out good. I don't however, like her drop-crotch workout pants. They don't look practical for running and that makes it look like she's trying too hard.

 

Blogger Angeles Almuna said ... (7:37 PM) : 

WOW!!! She is great , confidence and definitely cool!....Cool couple!
Kisses

www.angelesalmuna.com
www.shopangelesalmuna.com

 

Blogger Louise said ... (7:54 PM) : 

Her style is loose and comfortable, yet stylish, so she can move well and look great too! I agree it helps alot to feel comfortable in your workout clothes. If you dress like a dag you'll feel like one and operate accordingly.

 

Blogger L said ... (7:56 PM) : 

No, I wear whatever gives me flexibility, and allows me to cool down. When I'm working out I pretty much wear the same uniform. crop stretchy pants,an airy tank top and old sneakers.

 

Blogger Valerie Friedrich said ... (8:02 PM) : 

No, I'm definitely all about comfort when I work out...doesn't match the 5" heels I wear when I go out. LOL. XOXO as always, Valerie

Check out my way of getting in the mood for cooler temps…Purple Violets.

http://imstarvin.blogspot.com/2010/09/purple-violets-and-knit-sweaters.html

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:31 PM) : 

Love their sportswear, black and white. And I love your leopard pants in the post below!

Check out Hong Kong streetstyle from my blog:

http://remedyrouge.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:39 PM) : 

Confused! Do she really look good? Baggy pants can be fun in Goa but on the way to/back from the gym in the city? I prefer to change at the gym so i can have a shower after. Seriously, I don´t think she was even close to try to look good...but I do get your message but I think it´s even more important to smell well than look good at the gym !!! And of course to know HOW to train (to look at yourself in the mirror dosen´t make any muscles..). Saludos

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:39 PM) : 

I agree with you totally!

 

Blogger Lisbeth said ... (8:52 PM) : 

When I lived in NYC I got a lot more looks and attention in simple workout gear than I ever did dolled up in heels. I definitely think work out style matters.

 

Anonymous Ben in Philly said ... (8:58 PM) : 

I strongly disagree. I think the trousers make her look frumpy and the outfit looks thrown together. Ill give her 3 points for the cool kicks, but thats all.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:08 PM) : 

I think this is excessive. I turn into a sweaty mess when I work out. In this case, I think that function wins out over form.

Who cares what you look like or what you're wearing when you're a sweaty mess? The messier I look, in fact, the more pleased I am at the end of my workout.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:18 PM) : 

I believe it definitely does. You have to pick your workout clothes just the same as you would pick your clothes to go out in. There are always some things you would never wear, whether because of comfort or because of style. When I work out I have to at least know that I am comfortable being seen in public that way. You work out so that you can be healthy, in shape, and feel good about yourself. If you dress like a slob to begin with its hard to put yourself in the motivation mood.

 

Anonymous Lee Oliveira said ... (9:38 PM) : 

Got to be comfortable when you work out. What makes me laugh is when you see people wearing denim to the gym. Not very flexible.

LOx

 

Blogger RoRo said ... (9:51 PM) : 

As a Certified Kinesiologist, I got to say it is true. If your workout wear not what you want and like, your workout will follow. For me, if I dress well I even get a spring in my step.

 

Blogger Nick said ... (10:17 PM) : 

absolutely overthinking this. working out is functional...what you're wearing isn't too important when you're spent gasping on the ground. check out www.crossfit.com for real, functional fitness

 

Blogger Arantxa Chavarria said ... (10:21 PM) : 

I totally agree with you!



http://sweetlittleconfessions.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous klasicka said ... (10:22 PM) : 

maybe not my personal style,
when i go to work out, my style i guess changes a little bit. but maybe im unaware that theres a 'sporty' look for every style?
just want to say that, your right, i also look forward to exercising much more if i have the proper gear on, it makes you feel like you fit in more =]

 

Anonymous Meg said ... (10:34 PM) : 

These pants are really hurting an otherwise good-looking workout outfit.

 

Blogger SONGMAKER said ... (10:51 PM) : 

I love the stylish frumpiness of her workout gear, ESPECIALLY because it is obviously hiding a killer body!

As much as I love a look that enhances one's physique, I can also appreciate a look that intentionally belies your physical assets. There's a time and a place for va-va-voom, and that place doesn't need to be the gym!

This woman cleans up nicely, and --to me--nothing says that as much as her stylish yet draping and loose workout clothes!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:05 PM) : 

Clothing for exercise must function well. I can't do squats and deadlifts in pants that don't stay put. I can't stand on my head in yoga if my top flops in my face. It is quite a bonus that my best functioning exercise clothes are the ones that fit well, are made of good fabric, and are not worn out.

 

Blogger ADJ said ... (11:17 PM) : 

not sure how i feel about the glam workout. i think it is a bit too much...

www.greeneggsandglam.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Katie Richardson said ... (11:44 PM) : 

I have thought about this topic many times and have come to the same conclusion. No, you're not over thinking this. You are spot on!

 

Blogger dishly said ... (12:07 AM) : 

i've been wondering the same thing myself.
but i think i just don't want to stand out at the gym..so wear what everyone else is wearing :|
bike pants and a baggy singlet? actually i love what she's wearing, i'd do that, and wear bike pants underneath, easily chuck that back on and look normal going back home (Y)
perfecto!

http://thinkdish.weebly.com/

 

Anonymous alexa said ... (12:10 AM) : 

i work out to look good in clothes so it makes sense to dress nicely!

http://cashmereandcandy.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:15 AM) : 

Whatever works. If she's comfortable, that's all that matters when you're working out. I have to say though, the MC Hammer pants aren't very flattering.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:40 AM) : 

As a student, I feel the same way about exam writing--Instead of waking up early to cram, I spend time doing my hair and picking out a perfect outfit. If I'm dressed like a disorganized student who was up all night studying, it'll translate into my exam. Dress for success.

 

Blogger Ami said ... (1:47 AM) : 

Those pants are heinous. However, looking nice while working out is definitely permissible. I am an equestrian and a ballerina, and I always ride in Jodphurs and a polo, and I dance in coloured leotards and tights - pastels, neons, mixing in legwarmers or layering socks over my tights. Very fun, and quite aesthetically inspiring in the hall of mirrors that is a dance studio.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:50 AM) : 

I don't know, for some reason I question whether she is going to work out. It looks like she is running errands which makes the outfit way less chic.

 

Blogger Mani said ... (1:51 AM) : 

I'd know if I worked out more! That said I don't like feeling like a slob when I'm exercising...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:52 AM) : 

I totally agree! Wearing work out clothes that I like makes me work out better except I do seperate my workout clothes from my casual clothes.

This lady looks like she can spend the entire day out in town like that before popping in for her dance class.

 

Anonymous D. said ... (3:05 AM) : 

I disagree completely. When I do exercise it's the only time I ever get to run around and not give a shit what anybody thinks. I feel like I can be a totally different person: no make up, usually stupid printed cotton shorts and any top I can find (usually mismatched etc.) I don't care and I like to think that nobody is looking (or if they are they are reserving judgement.. it's exercise time, not time for me to impress people)

 

Blogger Lucas Jones said ... (3:07 AM) : 

love this! LOVE THIS!


i don't think you're overthinking this scott. i feel the same way. i think the way you feel in what you wear can really effect the way you work, too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:28 AM) : 

No, you are not overthinking this. Look good, feel good, even when you're working out.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:32 AM) : 

Love that adidas by Stella McCartney shirt. Comfortable, yet a hint sexy with the sheer back... This looks like a great outfit to get in shape without trying too hard.

 

Blogger Dith said ... (3:43 AM) : 

I like to be comfortable when working out! That's more important to me than how I look at d gym. I mean I'm gonna be sweaty anyway, so whats d point?

But can I just say, I love ur blog and I love everything (well almost) abt NYC! hehehe

http://diths-haute-spot.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:50 AM) : 

I do agree with the second comment! They re bloody italian! At least the man.

 

Blogger Tara s Dolce Vita said ... (4:06 AM) : 

Nooo, you're not overthinking this! I couldn't agree more.
She looks okay, but I don't think she looks really stylish.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:15 AM) : 

yes, you do. JP

 

Blogger TheStreetFashion5xpro said ... (4:36 AM) : 

You know you always find something cool

 

Anonymous Yuliya (China, Shanghai) said ... (4:42 AM) : 

I agree with a lot of comments above about how great this outfit is; and I also do believe that what you wear for your workouts do have a reflection on your performance. It simply does on my own. With or without mirrors in gym, you still know how you look wearing your gear. I do lots of cycling for sport, as well as use a bike for casual rounds to do my groceries or wonder around the city - and it's when I put on not so sporty clothes, just casual and comfortable. Especially when I know I am going to meet somebody...
The pants are just formless, make your butt unshaped….but they are so comfortable, too!

 

Anonymous Archibald said ... (4:56 AM) : 

I take it no further than matching colours + good fit. Preferrably black. Work out is about letting other worries go, and focus on the working out.

Function is the primary reason for the choise of types of garments. For example, never work out in cotton.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:02 AM) : 

oh,my! I'v got this top,too. and you are so right. Totally I agree with you.

 

Blogger MELISSA Z. said ... (5:08 AM) : 

It's not my style but this pic is tryìuly cool, woooooooooooooooow!

www.abitoffashion.com

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:15 AM) : 

I totally agree , I even buy Nike hair elastics ;))))

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:24 AM) : 

Love this tsyle...
please follow my blgo

http://fashiondoesntexist.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Maria Ana said ... (5:28 AM) : 

I don't translate my style to my workout gear. I just wear something that will help on my workout. Of this woman: beautiful back, top and hair colour. But I hate the pants. The goal is to have long legs...

 

Blogger Francesca said ... (6:19 AM) : 

I am shocked about the comments. Do you ppl really don't wear this kind of pants in the US? They're all over europe from 3 years now at least!! They did look weird at the beginning, I admit :)

 

Anonymous Anastasia said ... (6:26 AM) : 

I love her outfit, but has she got a good workout companion! That guy is dreamy, and certainly Italian!

 

Anonymous Ruben said ... (6:32 AM) : 

She must be a dancer =P

my house clothes looks better than my workout clothes LOL

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:42 AM) : 

(almost) everyone looks great in stella! :)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:48 AM) : 

harlem pants is the right choice to wear to your workout. nice pick! xxx


http://cestlamademoiselle.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Liv said ... (6:53 AM) : 

For the gym it's nice but outside I don't know. It looks very comfy!

 

Blogger Lorien Wood said ... (6:58 AM) : 

I choose function over form for working out. It's just fine if the garments have a nice cut and color, but those are secondary considerations. The deciding factors are breathable fabric, functional design, and freedom of movement.

I would find dropped-crotch pants impractical for kicks, squats, lunges, elliptical, bicycle, running, Pilates... really almost any type of workout. The restriction of movement and all the extra fabric would bother me. But perhaps this young lady with the lovely physique has just pulled them on as a cover-up over her workout gear, or perhaps her workout that day didn't require a wide stance or a long stride.

 

Blogger Pink said ... (7:15 AM) : 

haha thats cool and comfy:-)

check out my fashion blog at

thetalesofselfindulgence.blogspot.com

if you like please follow me!! thankss

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:28 AM) : 

Totally agree. When you work out you're feeling good about yourself but if you have to look in the mirror and see what you're feeling good about looks like a slob....doesn't work.

 

Blogger xiao said ... (8:35 AM) : 

So true...I think there should be more cool clothing for working out:)

www.icecreamcandy.easy.com

 

Blogger Caddy said ... (8:37 AM) : 

Thinking you look good while working out or anywhere else is a confidence booster so to some extent I think it matters especially if your going to the gym or exercising surrounded by really toned and fit people.

 

Blogger CLAUDIA C. said ... (8:47 AM) : 

too casual...
http://audreyismyfavourite.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:27 AM) : 

Not sure I agree. I see lots of people in my fitness center who spend more time matching and tanning that actually putting in a good workout - and their bodies reflect it. Not that looking nice is bad, grooming is always good - but the good work out stems from a good work ethic. That and a lot of the carefully styled fitness gear is intended to attract attention...demonstrated by the lack of sweat and prancing around :~D

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:36 AM) : 

love this outfit...want one....classic

 

Anonymous Middleseason said ... (9:39 AM) : 

When I work out, my only need is to feel comfortable. It's impossible to move with her kind of trousers!

 

Anonymous Anabelle said ... (9:43 AM) : 

You are not overthinking this, Scott. I always work out better when I'm dressed in workout clothes I like. Not only that, but it makes me look forward to going to gym in the first place and I feel excited about the whole thing.

 

Anonymous Lennon said ... (9:50 AM) : 

"when i look like a slob, i usually work out like a slob"
and i thought i was the only one who felt this way...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:53 AM) : 

No, you're not over-thinking this; you're dead right.
As a guy I remember when you'd throw on any old thing for the gym, the funkier the better. Now, you'd better be wearing something that looks very fine, and your body had better echo that. The woman in the pic is wearing possibly the most unattractive bottom one could imagine.

 

Anonymous Linda Lou said ... (11:04 AM) : 

Surely it encourages you to go to the gym if you look great. Scrubby old sweatpants will never get you out of the house. And you never know who you might meet!

 

Anonymous Lizzy said ... (11:37 AM) : 

this is an amazing photo!!

www.citizette.com

 

Anonymous Specialward said ... (11:40 AM) : 

I'm all for your sentiment on feeling motivated with new gym clothes, but regarding those pants...they couldn't be more inappropriate for working out. They'd probably get caught on something and tear apart. Silly.

Simple, clean and functional is best when it comes to working out.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:08 PM) : 

This outfit says 'post-workout' to me. Those aren't workout pants. They're heading-home-from-the-workout pants.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:09 PM) : 

try working out in milan. if your attire is not good enough, you don't even feel like going there. so, yes, dress up (at least if your body shape allows you to)
wand

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:34 PM) : 

As beautiful as her workout attire is (double for the body it covers), I can't imagine jogging in those pants and being comfortable...not to mention a sweaty mess!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:44 PM) : 

You're so right! It's so much more fun to work out in nice and comfortable clothing. And I think she has had a great workout in those clothes.

ilikelikingthings.blogspot.com

x x x
Ines

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:44 PM) : 

No you're not overthinking it, you're right on the money. A nice outfit is what makes you want to start working out seriously again when you've been kind of passive for a while. I think it really helps to get you going again. For me the jogging pants especially have to be just right or it's no use...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:10 PM) : 

I thought the photo was about the guy- radiantly comfortable in his own skin(and garb)-

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:57 PM) : 

I don't think you are overthinking.
I always like to be comfortable physically but also would never workout with gears with holes or colors of top and pants not matching. No matter where or for what purpose I hate people looking sluggish in public. I think it's a consideration to the public that you look nice, whatever your style is.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:41 PM) : 

Shes street and she looks great.

The guys Nike 1's have always been a fav.

Stop hating on he trousers.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:45 PM) : 

i don't know, for some reason i find it a little offensive when i see people work out in extravagantly-fashioned exercise clothes (but understand your feeling that having nice gear to work out in can be a motivating factor). it seems to suggest working out for the wrong reasons...but i know this totally contradicts my belief that it's okay to dress for the occasion in other situations...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:40 PM) : 

Really can't get what's so wonderful about this, especially those weird pants. When you are moving, a lot of extra cloth just gets in the way. The style also makes her look long in the torso and short in the legs. Or maybe that's how she's built but her clothing could change the perception instead of emphasizing it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:49 PM) : 

As a competitive athlete who trains outdoors year-long, I wear what is appropriate for the weather, comfortable, and clean. Practically, this means saving style for regular clothes--and nothing feels better than changing into a pretty outfit after a hardcore workout!

 

Anonymous elxoxodemiprima said ... (7:26 PM) : 

As Donna Karan aptly said:when you really love fashion, you try to look stylish, wherever you are!!
not a fan of trashy people at gym...they look depressed ...they disturb me .

 

Blogger Hawk said ... (8:15 PM) : 

this is someone who walks around the gym for an hour and calls it a workout. sorry....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:22 PM) : 

It's working out...you're going to sweat and be disgusting. I think people who think this much about fashion all the way into the gym need to get their own personal gyms instead.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:53 PM) : 

Second comment on this: I agree with Caroline who said she gets her exercise from walking the dog, taking a little hike, etc. - activites of daily living. We could take a cue from the more active Europeans who walk to get their groceries, ride their bikes to work, and just incorporate more exercise into their daily lives without pushing so hard at a gym or training for a triathelon. Now I'm in my mid 60's and just had the first knee replacement I think I might trade all those years jumping around in the gym for the ADL(activites of daily living) instead. You can still have to have joint replacement but it hasn't been shown that running and high-impact activities don't exacerbate the degeneration.

 

Blogger midnitexstar said ... (9:12 PM) : 

no! you have to feel good about how you look to make yourself feel even better!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:54 PM) : 

dont like comments like: 'if theyre body shape allows it' and 'its disturbing to look at people who arent dressed well'. it sounds so obsessed about looks. way too much. fashion should be linked to joy. and not a thing that separates, leads to discrimination and judgement about others. Just enjoy yourself and dress up if you want so.

 

Blogger Liz S said ... (11:34 PM) : 

Agree--although I would like to think it doesn't matter too much. It's more about what your strength of mind is--sometimes you need that extra boost of a great outfit to motivate you--other times you can be motivated easily in an old tracksuit.
But I do think if you intend on going public before or after the gym then something respectable and preferably flattering, just as in street dressing, is necessary.

This girl looks great--the cutaway t-shirt flatters the back and shoulder musculature and is easy to work in. The pants are remarkably easy to work in also--my daughter dances in these all the time--think MC hammer --he didn't look awkward. And anyway--maybe she works out in bike shorts and puts these over the top to go public. I love their quirky effect and I don't see her as having short legs. Black is wonderful on her olive skin.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:46 AM) : 

I went to the gym the other day. I had on a band t-shirt and a short swimsuit. Black socks and dress shoes.

 

Blogger Izabell said ... (7:26 AM) : 

I love this dress.
http://itsbellatime.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Signe said ... (7:40 AM) : 

Worse than "looking like a slob and working out like a slob" would certainly be overdressing and looking like a professional and working out like a slob? There used to be a sort of reverse idea of this on the (European?)ski slopes: looking like a bum and skiing like a god...
There must be a happy medium, like the Swedish word "lagom", which means inbetween, sort of in the middle, or perhaps just rignt (think: Goldilocks and the three bears)

 

Anonymous Jayne said ... (7:56 AM) : 

Top - great! Pants - AWWWful! Glad they don't ever wear them in Chicago! HAHAHHA

 

Blogger youngbon said ... (8:09 AM) : 

I agree that your favored type of exercise makes it's way into your fashion style. However anything you are into doors that. Lately I wear a bit of yoga clothes - Indian bangles lotus t shirts clombined with things I could envision wearing on a bicycle combined with Indian jewelry black lace neutrals a Burberry bag artsy jewelry leopard shawls and the librarian look. Fashion is so fun!

 

Anonymous Read said ... (10:24 AM) : 

I would ask what's in the bag, but I think what's in her pants is a more pressing matter...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:03 AM) : 

Glenn, when was the last time YOU worked out? Looks like its been a few decades.

 

Blogger ann. said ... (11:36 AM) : 

everyone feels that way, even if they don't admit it. (if i look like a slob, i usually work out like a slob). that being said, i received lulemon workout clothes for my birthday! wee!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:36 PM) : 

I believe you are absolutely overthinking this. Working out is not a fashion show, it is about taking care of and challenging yourself. Not everything is aesthetic.

 

Blogger j3ssicas said ... (1:34 PM) : 

I totally agree with what you said. I wouldn't work out unless I had the perfect outfit to work out in. Otherwise I would just stay in my room trying not to pig out because of my lack of working out. haha

 

Blogger mikedub said ... (1:52 PM) : 

I agree that having awesome new workout gear makes it so much more fun to get the job done. I recently got new cross trainers and couldn't wait to hit the gym!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:18 PM) : 

Looks hot...probably cheating on her husband with the trainer.

 

Anonymous Lindsey said ... (4:29 PM) : 

I work out best when the clothing is functional, not stylish (in other words, a really great sports bra). The effort should be put into the exercise, not into over-thinking what you wear. I leave that for every other minute of my life.

 

Anonymous Ellie said ... (4:54 PM) : 

There is this great athletic company in Canada called Lululemon. It's all I wear. So comfy and make you look great too! There are some Lulu stores in the states but I'm not sure about NYC. :-)

 

Blogger J.Ro said ... (7:28 PM) : 

Mr. Sartorialist, you are correct. Trendy women channel hip hop's TLC circa '93 when they work out. If you're name isn't Left Eye, leave it at home!

www.jrocomedy.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:33 PM) : 

personally I think you may be judging the book by the cover. She may well be wearing tighter shorts underneath but doesn't want to have her ass on display for the people of nyc and apparently the internet to see

 

Blogger meganmeenan said ... (7:59 PM) : 

no your not overthinking it . i too feel the same way. i have to be neat and tidy going to the gym that way i feel more confident and push myself that extra mile . however if i wore baggy clothes i would feel lazy and wouldnt feel as though i had enough energy to work out .

http://insidemyheadandwardronbe.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Jane said ... (8:07 PM) : 

Love the top, but the pants remind me more of a saggy nappy (diaper) than anything chic!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:39 PM) : 

I am going to disagree with what seems to be the majority of you:

Style on the street, in the office, at social functions is one thing, when it comes to the gym, grab something that is comfortable and don't care about.

The gym is not a fashion show. Get in, smash some weights, get out.

I like most of your posts/thoughts, but this one, not so much.

 

Blogger André said ... (8:59 PM) : 

Is she´s going to shoot some balls to the basket she looks amazing...now if she´s going for a run...meh. (take note that shooting basketballs does not require (a lot) of running)

If you want to run like I use to just get some shorts, a shirt, and an iPod support if you like to run with some music on your ears ;)

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting