This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

This Collar Brings Back Memories, Florence

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

This Collar Brings Back Memories, Florence

This type of shirt collar reminds me of my first Armani way back when I was in high school around 1985ish.

It had the same type of snap collar detail, but mine was in a beautiful grey/white/red stripe. I asked my Mom to buy it for me for Christmas from LS Ayres (luckily it was on sale), and after a month of begging it was under the tree on Christmas Day.

I loved that shirt SO much that I didn't dare unwrap it from the orignal packaging until around March! It took a while after that before i could actually start wearing it. Just between you and me, I think I still have that same shirt in storage back at my Mom's place.

It's great to have such fond memories of a first "designer" piece of clothing. They say "clothes don't make the man/woman" but that passion I had (and still have) certainly shaped the course of my future.

Comments on "This Collar Brings Back Memories, Florence"

 

Blogger SarahPeslar said ... (9:44 AM) : 

It's truly wonderful to hear your love of quality and class at such an early age. This style can be and will be used for decades to come!






www.fashionsmind.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:53 AM) : 

Awesome story.....I love this blog just for moments like this.

It also reassures my commitment of owing beautiful hadnmade shirts that launder and iron myself and have been able to obtina 8-9 years of service from them.

Now if someone can tell me how to overcome the gradual shrinkage of the collar and sleeve length over the years.....which is normally why I end up retiring my shirts and typically for no other reason.

Great Great Story Sar...thanks for sharing!

THX SAR!

 

Anonymous Charles Preston said ... (10:00 AM) : 

Does anyone know the specific name for this kind of collar?

 

Anonymous Léonore said ... (10:06 AM) : 

This gentleman rocks.

 

Blogger Nicola said ... (10:12 AM) : 

that's such a good little story.. and wonderful photography as always.

 

Anonymous the style crusader said ... (10:16 AM) : 

wow! that is funky! i have never seen a shirt like that before. my husband was just complaining the other day that he hates the banker shirts where you have to tie your tie with the most massive knot (he fears it makes him look like a gangster). this is very cool! what an interested effect. xx

 

Blogger FASHION SNAG said ... (10:17 AM) : 

That is such a cute story and so sweet that your mom did buy it for you for Christmas. I would have saved it as well! I understand the memories of her your first designer piece =) xx

www.FashionSnag.com

 

Blogger Anne Marie said ... (10:25 AM) : 

clothes certainly do make a man or woman....I embrace myself every time I wear my skirts that touch the ground I walk on.....

this is a great blog for fashion inspiration - so clean and upcoming - and what a great picture of Franca!!

 

Anonymous Tom Jobim said ... (10:32 AM) : 

i hear you Scott

 

Anonymous J K said ... (10:39 AM) : 

I had one of these that I purchased around 1988. It is known as a Tab Collar. It is a great shirt design because of its relative formality - it really can only be worn with a tie.

 

Blogger the nyanzi report said ... (10:40 AM) : 

That's real talk.
The sentimental value we place in our 'first designer' item/s especially if it is out of financial reach.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:42 AM) : 

just wondering scott, what camera do you use for your amazing shots?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:49 AM) : 

Handsome, handsome, handsome!

 

Blogger Gallinavecchia said ... (10:51 AM) : 

Just discovered your blog: wonderful photos!
It's great to see my city (Florence) from the fashion point of view... can't believe we can really be quite trendy, huh? ;))

Will certainly come back :)

Gallinavecchia (it means old hen)

 

Blogger s t y l i s h m u s e said ... (10:52 AM) : 

I wish my father would wear shirts with this collar. Love it!

 

Anonymous christopher said ... (11:04 AM) : 

i got my first armani shirt around '89. boxy grey, aqua, pale blue windowpane pattern. mandarin collar. still have it... just ran my hand over the fabric after reading your post.

 

Anonymous proletarian Great Gatsby said ... (11:13 AM) : 

A lot of thanks for sharing your passion,memory and love for clothes,fashion and beauty.What you tell is a little part of your life and I thank you for the trust and for share it with us.

 

Anonymous guero said ... (11:22 AM) : 

very fly

 

Blogger Bell said ... (11:44 AM) : 

I prefer classic collars English or Italian, the photo I do not like.

 

Anonymous Nick said ... (11:52 AM) : 

i actually love the suit...anyone know who makes it?

http://www.culturalblahblah.com

 

Blogger Alexandra said ... (11:57 AM) : 

Lovely story, and I can certainly understand...I really fought for this beautiful bag for Christmas, it was the best Christmas ever.

http://tovogueorbust.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger davidikus said ... (12:00 PM) : 

Great memories! I have fond memories of my first Lanvin shirt too. It was a much more classical collar but I loved it nonetheless. And still love it. I am not too sure that I could really wear the same kind of collar as on this picture but I appreciate it nonetheless...

http://davidikus.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger losaway said ... (12:08 PM) : 

I love it this blog!
are great! :)
I follow your blog.
xoxo

http//losaway.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Gringo Jack said ... (12:23 PM) : 

I was 35 when I got my first pair of Gucci loafers. They symbolized for me a life of striving. It was a very important day for me; after leaving the store, I sat in my car and cried for a few minutes. I can totally relate.

 

Anonymous MONi said ... (12:31 PM) : 

nice story… I know I'm young but I've never seen such a shirt seems funny to me this kind of collar!

 

Anonymous Dana said ... (12:40 PM) : 

I love your story about your first designer piece. For me it was when I was 12 in 1987. My mum and I found an amazing YSL maillot that was black underneath and coated in metallic bronze in a bargain bin somewhere unexpected for $9!! I wore it for about 10 years until the bronze was almost worn away. By far the best swimming costume I've ever owned.

 

Anonymous Mabel and Zora said ... (12:46 PM) : 

Great post,very inspiring.

 

Blogger ITSOLA said ... (1:12 PM) : 

Love this post! And I think clothes definitely make the man/woman!




http://itsola.blogspot.com/
http://shopitsola.com/

 

Blogger Angeles Almuna said ... (1:14 PM) : 

Fabulous story! Love to read things that keep my mind working in some creative designs and good ideas. Thank you!
Kisses

www.angelesalmuna.com
www.shopangelesalmuna.com

 

Blogger Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said ... (1:42 PM) : 

It's the first time I'm seeing such an unusual collar, honetsly!! I'm wishing now we all woudl start seeing more of these soon!

 

Anonymous Laurent said ... (1:48 PM) : 

To anonymous regarding shrinking shirts: wash in cold water, hang or tumble dry, no heat. Do not dry clean. I have some Brooks Br. and Ralph L. shirts that are 10+ yrs old that still look new, have not shrunk.

 

Blogger anthony said ... (1:54 PM) : 

Rumpled, slightly scruffy and with a lovely combination of detail and style. The spectacles (?) which stick out of his pocket look scary! He's also got a really nice face.

 

Anonymous laurent said ... (1:55 PM) : 

Tab collar...thin tie...very 60's!
Interesting to note that in a lot of the European photos the clothes are obviously well-cared for "vintage". Very much in style now (Gucci, etc.)I would not be surprised if this suit is 30+ years old, the cut is 60s or 70s.

 

Anonymous kagitsune said ... (1:56 PM) : 

I too love unique collars, but I think the tie sticking out just looks awkward. Sorry, Sart... v_v

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:03 PM) : 

I'm not in love with this look, the suit looks badly made and with poor quality material, and the white glove on one hand is odd. I like the tie and the pocket square with his glasses hanging out though. I wish he'd worn something more tailored.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:08 PM) : 

besides the beautiful suit...wow what a beautiful man! he's so handsome!

 

Blogger The Baker said ... (2:09 PM) : 

Awesome to hear that you loved great style and quality from a young age! Keep it up, very inspiring.

getyourowncake.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Mr. Kid said ... (2:27 PM) : 

I want that shirt! Great blog. Here are some things that are not good!

 

Blogger Amy Creyer said ... (2:32 PM) : 

I love the idea of a man wearing such a fine detail that only a trained eye will notice. Very romantic.

http://www.chicagostreetstyle.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:57 PM) : 

Amazing this is the first time I come across such collar. Details details details are so important <3

http://www.etsy.com/shop/SkinandWood
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SkinandWood
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SkinandWood

Skin & Wood Vintage,
Rosemary

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:20 PM) : 

from small things, big things one day come.

http://thecovetist.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous karnit said ... (3:36 PM) : 

I love his wrinkled jacket. I had a whole period in the mid 90's when I machin washed tailored jacket and dried them rolled up to get that effect. Maybe it's time I re-try that.
www.theconceptdresser.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:38 PM) : 

Not so much a fan of this look. The man is, of course, that handsome older gentleman who can pull a lot of things off.

However, the jacket fits poorly and the collar-tie combination drives home a strong hangman's noose or collar-leash look to me.

Shouldn't we all strive to be passionate about our jobs, but not slavishly so?

 

Blogger bello.fighting.ignorance said ... (5:47 PM) : 

Yeah, reminds me of one my first Armani's as well: more around 1983/4 when he still did stuff for Bagutta etc.
But takes me back to some Armani thin tie I got in 1983: then I knew I had arrived: David Bowie was with one on the cover of the TV Times in England a few weeks later!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:07 PM) : 

i enjoyed the story of your affair with the shirt more than the images of the shirt with a tie. maybe the shirt is better without a necktie?
*sP

 

Anonymous alibaba germany said ... (6:58 PM) : 

i've never seen a collar like this!!!
this is more than amazing...!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:14 PM) : 

Thank you so much for that story. It brought back a favorite memory that had been lost in my mind for years. I was a sophmore in high school circa 1986. I had become enthralled with Armani after reading my first GQ with a picture of Harrison Ford on the cover. I wanted one of those snap down collars so much I harassed my parents for months about it. They thought the price was outrageous. My father was more sympathetic as he had a passion for suits which he wore everyday. Finally, my mother took my sister out of town for a weekend to visit family. My dad and I had a "boys" weekend where we went out dinner together, went to a movie, and yes, he bought me that shirt at Saks in Chicago. I will never forget the weekend, the shirt, but most important, the time alone with my dad.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:21 PM) : 

This is an absolutely exquisite assembly of clothing - the balance struck between formal and relaxed is perfect. Flawless, understated taste.

 

Blogger Eugenia Woods said ... (7:35 PM) : 

Yes, the tie is very 1980's a la the principal in Ferris Bueller. Love the look as a whole though!

 

Blogger SallyO said ... (7:38 PM) : 

It looks like it's choking him a little bit.
And by the way, I'm totally freaked to discover that you are actually younger than me...

 

Blogger jason said ... (8:13 PM) : 

hahahahaha how funny, i still have my first designer item still in it's original packaging. my parents went on their first trip to europe and i BEGGED them to bring me back something designer. Versace socks! not exactly what i had hoped for but i'll take it none the less. I was 13 at the time and i'm 32 now! can't belive i still have them.

 

Anonymous April said ... (8:13 PM) : 

That shirt has great detail! Very nice!

 

Blogger nemee said ... (8:16 PM) : 

love the detail ! and i adore the different patterns , they work very well together .

artsysunday.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:18 PM) : 

I love the way this guy wears a suit and tie as though they're a t shirt and jeans. who is he? we've seen him here a lot haven't we?

When I was a teenager I found a stash of my grandfather's shirts: separate starched collars, very long tails, mother of pearl buttons, fine stripes, the most exquisite fine smooth cotton that felt more like silk. I'm one of those people who's always fingering fabric in shops and I have NEVER felt a shirt as good as my grandfather's. He also had some cream rayon leisure shirts that really explained to me why rayon was called artificial silk.

 

Anonymous namhenderson said ... (9:27 PM) : 

The white (almost lacey) cuff on his one sleeve is amazing. unless that is a separate glove? Or perhaps a tuft of long underwear?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:24 PM) : 

i love his smile. smile with the eyes

 

Blogger Gin said ... (11:21 PM) : 

i feel u Sart!! it was a bag in my case and i still remember exactly how it felt running my hands over the leather when i first received it.

love the overall look and his smile :)

 

Blogger Sebastian said ... (11:22 PM) : 

LS Ayres? Where in Indiana are you from? I grew up in Ft. Wayne, where we had the Glenbrook and Southtown Mall stores.

 

Blogger fig said ... (12:12 AM) : 

... and what a future you have. So many fans loving your artistic photos and the diversity of style you bring from runway to everyday, it's totally gorgeous.

 

Anonymous Lee Oliveira said ... (2:16 AM) : 

Love this look. That pocket detail is great also.

LOx

 

Blogger 365WatchStories said ... (2:45 AM) : 

Man, I hope I can look like that when I am that age...

 

Blogger Cassie Jo - Tofuscloset said ... (4:20 AM) : 

i love his face too =) it's warm feeling=)

 

Anonymous Pal Zileri Concept said ... (6:22 AM) : 

Isn't breathing gonna be a problem when your wear your shirt like that? LOL!

 

Anonymous IS THIS IT? models review said ... (7:13 AM) : 

Really great! and I generally adore this man look and attitude...
http://www.isthisitmodelsreview.com/

 

Anonymous May said ... (7:50 AM) : 

what a powerful story! how did you wait until march to unwrap it, that is willpower right there...not to mention sheer reverence.

 

Anonymous Kat said ... (12:58 PM) : 

I love the combination of the pattern on the pocket square and the tortoise shell sunglasses, one "leg" out, as it were.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:23 PM) : 

Excellent clothes DO make the man/woman more vibrant though, don't they?

 

Blogger so said ... (5:14 PM) : 

...LS Ayres sold Armani?!

 

Blogger Christina said ... (5:31 PM) : 

This man is extremely sexy. I think he's part Asian, like me! He looks great.

fridayswithcilantro.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous IJ Productions said ... (9:54 PM) : 

I want one!

 

Blogger Raul Bonatiu said ... (3:17 PM) : 

this guy is amazing!!

 

Blogger Lavender said ... (11:16 PM) : 

Great story...love the shirt, but he's left his jacket in the dryer to long.

 

Anonymous betieblu said ... (8:12 AM) : 

I also take my time in finally unwrapping, then cutting off the tag from a piece of clothing I have bought with special care and admiration. Sometimes clothing like that is a bit beyond my ability to wear at the time I've purchased it, and needs to sit for a while before I know I can wear it in a style that would illuminate its greatness and charm. You reminded me of this habit I have... One of those things you usually don't think about, an unspoken exchange between a "clothing" and yourself.

 

Anonymous Heels said ... (4:51 AM) : 

I like the post with such a nice material which is much informative. Thank you for the information you provided.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:52 AM) : 

I am reminded of ill-fitting shirts & Colombian Neckties when looking at the close-up :(

 

Blogger Jazzbuff630 said ... (1:58 PM) : 

I love the pocket square and sunglasses in the breast pocket. I have tried to work that look;it looks cool on Park Avenue, but not
out for cocktails with other accountants...

The tie is too long, but I think this must be intentional?

 

Anonymous Nick said ... (2:00 PM) : 

my first designer piece (after wallets, passport holders, iPod cases, ciggie holders from Gucci and LV) is a late 70's Lanvin jacket in navy blue that fits like it was tailored for me! I got it for about two dollars at a charity shop...I still have it...well I'm only 24...but I am lucky that the vast majority of South Africans are clueless about labels!!

 

Anonymous Megan said ... (3:05 PM) : 

Wow it is amazing to have such memories as that. It is inspiring the love you had for one article of clothing at that age.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:53 PM) : 

Very sharp!

 

Anonymous ese_isra said ... (1:06 PM) : 

scott- i love your attention to detail.. and i love that you share that with us.

keep up the great work, photography and passion for what you do.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:50 AM) : 

I like his nose, like an asian version of gerald depardieu

 

Blogger jeen said ... (4:53 AM) : 

If I marry an asian man, I would want him to age gracefully as this man appears to do.

 

Anonymous Timmi said ... (9:35 PM) : 

I hope my 6yo son will say the same thing one day about fashion. Honestly, gadgets are cool but rarely ever "classics" nor do they last the distance. Unlike fashion and style :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:58 AM) : 

Is there another name for this type of collar other than "Tab Collar"?

I've searched and searched online under that name and only came up with collars that have a tab that buttons the two sides of the collar together rather than a collar that snaps or buttons at the corners like this.

How or where can I find one of these shirts?!

 

Anonymous Women Leather Blazers said ... (2:54 AM) : 

Nice and interesting one. I like your post. Its really interesting. Thanks for posting this.

Buy Leather Jackets,
Leather Skirts

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:31 AM) : 

On the Street...It is like a discreet and perfect architect!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:40 AM) : 

In a while like the present one, where absolute conceptions do not exist on the places, where the landscape is something invented. When an architecture without form arises, that appears in the territory without interfering, without constructing, without being. When `appears concepts like `fragmentatión', `sustainability' by viability, `architecture as landscape' or `landscape as architecture', replaces the representation by the presentation and fails the reason.

The method drawn up by the architects of the “Fifties” seems to indicate a way. Not only by the quality of its works or the extreme present time of `minimalism' of some of them, but by its attitude before the profession and the architecture. Its work developed in the silence of the study, the emotion to construct, the daily fight with the problems. Its form to understand and to represent the reality through project, being maintained a balance and tension between both factors. The practice replaces the theory. The elements of the own reality are those that are introduced in the decision making of the project organize, it. The tension settles down when they are become ordained based on the development of a central idea and the project faces the reality again.

Architect

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting