This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street....Francesco Clemente, Bond Street, New York City

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, July 22, 2010

On the Street....Francesco Clemente, Bond Street, New York City

This was the first time, in a long time, I was really nervous to ask someone for their photo.

I have always loved Francesco Clemente's work and his personal style (notice the frayed sleeve of his well-worn linen jacket). For me, he is a real icon of the New York art scene.

Here is a link to a great interview he did with Charlie Rose. I love what he says about "boredom" and "waiting" playing a huge role in the creation of art. As a street photographer I understand exactly what he's talking about.

Comments on "On the Street....Francesco Clemente, Bond Street, New York City"

 

Anonymous Lee Oliveira said ... (9:33 AM) : 

I love this linen 3 button jacket..
Looks so stylish on him and the scarf.. (paul smith perhaps?).
LOx

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:37 AM) : 

incredible artist. truly indendiary.

http://thecovetist.blogspot.com

 

Blogger LadyNoir said ... (9:44 AM) : 

Like the outfit.

xx

 

Blogger Antonio_Libero said ... (9:44 AM) : 

I love the scarf.. so chic...

-------------------------------------

http://desertodinotte.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Liane said ... (9:46 AM) : 

this is wonderful to see. how about a capture of brice marden? brings me back to art school days.

 

Anonymous ilkin said ... (9:48 AM) : 

I LOVE HIS WORK! I totally understand you being nervous. His look, the jacket, the scarf; they give me a sense of completeness. You are lucky to have met an artist like him...

 

Blogger Lady M said ... (9:48 AM) : 

This style and color is chic.

 

Anonymous Christian said ... (9:54 AM) : 

What a surprise! I always meet him in Amalfi...

very nice person...

Ciao Francesco!

 

Blogger pinky said ... (10:05 AM) : 

wow!!!! that's really HIM!!??!!
he's a striking man and dresses cool.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:14 AM) : 

Sart, when are you going to announce the winner of the vintage photo contest????

--Anxious fan awating. :0)

 

Blogger Lauren said ... (10:16 AM) : 

Congratulations, Scott. You've really captured the essence of a true visionary. And I agree with both of you about the boredom part!

Hand drawn:
myclosetinsketches.com

 

Anonymous Best of Beehive said ... (10:46 AM) : 

Like how the scarf compliments the jacket. He looks like he has that quiet intensity. No wonder you were intimidated.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:53 AM) : 

already a big fan of his work, but now a fan of his look too. <3 it.

 

Blogger Sing of Singature Style said ... (11:01 AM) : 

He looks great.

http://singaturestyle.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Teresa @ good-grace said ... (11:07 AM) : 

Incredibly handsome.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:10 AM) : 

This is the real artist, perfect and unique but not showing the least effort. Picture like this make me happy to get up and dress in the morning.

 

Blogger Zuzia said ... (11:16 AM) : 

he's so stylish. great artist.

the-red-zebra.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Style Scanner said ... (11:16 AM) : 

Moss/olive green always looks nicely informal. Perhaps because it's not a colour associated with a 'business suit'. And being slightly rebellious - I like seeing a bit of wear and tear in a garment. x

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:26 AM) : 

Artists always know how to dress. Comfy, cool and stylish. And of course, colourful.

 

Blogger JoewardM said ... (11:34 AM) : 

he's a great guy. :]

 

Blogger SuzGuzDesigns said ... (11:40 AM) : 

Casual elegance at its best!

I love your blog.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:45 AM) : 

great weather for a scarf.

 

Blogger FASHION SNAG said ... (11:46 AM) : 

I love the scarf and his work of course. x

www.FashionSnag.com

 

Blogger TheStreetFashion5xpro said ... (11:51 AM) : 

incredible artist...fab look

 

Blogger Miiicha said ... (12:14 PM) : 

this is a nice style!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:27 PM) : 

wow - what cool color and those eyes...

 

Blogger Eric Zamorez said ... (12:29 PM) : 

OMG. I am in absolute AWE of his art work...this is amazing. Handsome!

 

Anonymous pRiyA said ... (12:31 PM) : 

So this is Francesco Clemente! I love this paintings and his picture books and it is SO nice to put a face to his name :) I love the way he wears his green jacket and his kind eyes.
Thank you for the link too.

 

Blogger thwany said ... (12:40 PM) : 

he looks intense

 

Anonymous christopher said ... (12:41 PM) : 

thanks for the link to the c.rose interview. just what i needed today.

 

Blogger kukla said ... (12:41 PM) : 

I often see this man in the neighborhood and he always looks amazing. I think it has little to do with what he wears and everything to do with his beautiful presence and blue eyes.

 

Blogger britt said ... (1:08 PM) : 

Thank you for this post. Inspiring shot, equally inspiring interview on Charlie Rose. I needed that. As Francesco said, "I think the most interesting time is always now."

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:15 PM) : 

WOW...! I really love Francesco Clemente, he's god.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:19 PM) : 

hes a very handsome man and has his own style but come on, that jacket doesnt fit him at all. 80s armani.. if an off duty banker was wearing this it would look ridiculous.

 

Blogger marie said ... (1:21 PM) : 

he looks great, but i don't understand his layers. it is 90 degrees here in new york!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:22 PM) : 

Don't tell me it is cool enough in NYC right now to be wearing a scarf?

 

Blogger Unabashed apparel said ... (1:31 PM) : 

This made me finish a post about "the process" that I'd been to shy to share. Thank you.

 

Blogger Jenava said ... (1:45 PM) : 

Thank you so much for posting this! The interview really spoke to me. He expresses a lot of ideas about work that have been rattling around unexpressed in my head. I think I'm going to have to listen to this a couple of times! When I first looked at this photo I thought he looked a bit like me, but maybe it's just in his expression.

 

Anonymous John Wesley said ... (1:57 PM) : 

Man and clothes with soul!
Like a fabulous old worn Persian carpet.
Proves Style isn't fashion.
Bravo!
--JW

 

Anonymous Sarah Eagle said ... (2:16 PM) : 

Absolutely fantastic, and a great shot to boot. As an art history major its always slightly gratifying to see the artists you studied looking so dapper. A truly fantastic jacket (although I don't know about New York but up here in Boston its way to hot for the scarf even if it does add a certain something to the look)
aoideart.wordpress.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:19 PM) : 

And that is it. In 1950s Naples, a young child, unfettered by modern gadgets and social media, is free to dream, to imagine worlds and ideas that later germinate into art.

Think of Dorothea Lange, one of many such photographers, whose iconic images humanized, in heartbreaking details, the personal consequences of economic depression and hardship. Without luxury of digital cameras, the stark immediacy is poignantly captured. The mother, distraught and dishevelled, weathered beyond her youth is a ravaged Madonna with hungry child clinging to breast. Lange forces us to look, and dares us to look away.

These are the artists that compel, inciting questions that speak to our common humanity. What is there beyond the moment's pleasure, in those silent, introspective spaces of ennui and aloneness? What is there beyond beautiful people in fashionable attire, when all material trappings, all din and distractions are stripped away, and we are laid bare?

 

Blogger nemee bedar said ... (2:40 PM) : 

the olive colour of the jacket is great . I am not completely familiar with his work , but from what i have seen it is incredible and truly unique .

artsysunday.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:05 PM) : 

I love this photo - not just because of who he is and what he's wearing. This is just a fantastic photo. You feel like you can almost see through his eyes and feel what he's feeling. It's like we're getting a glimpse into the artist himself.

As nervous as you say you were in asking to take his photo, you did an exceptional job :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:22 PM) : 

really enjoyed that interview, thank you

 

Anonymous Laurent said ... (3:30 PM) : 

In the Rose interview F. said he became an artist because he was not interested in anything else. I believe such is inborn. An art teacher told his young daughter that he teaches people to draw, she replied: "they forgot?". Turn off your TVs... GET BORED!!!!!!!!
Wonderful jacket. I don't think the frayed cuff is an artistic affectation. There's nothing like an old favorite jacket that formed to one's shape.

 

Blogger Kimia Kline said ... (3:51 PM) : 

You got Clemente? Hats off to you sir.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:16 PM) : 

What a terrific photo of a very interesting man! And I agree with you, Scott, about "boredom" and "waiting;" I tell my son all the time that amazing creativity can come from being bored. I'll have to show him the interview with Charlie Rose! Thanks for all you do. This is my favorite website to visit!

 

Blogger Laurence John said ... (4:35 PM) : 

nice colour green.

 

Anonymous Onlythebestisgoodenoughforme said ... (5:07 PM) : 

Really stylish man.

One of the best shots ever taken, Sartorialist.

 

Blogger MONi said ... (5:15 PM) : 

he's old but stylish-

www.weltsart.blogspot.com

 

Blogger JV said ... (5:29 PM) : 

Perfect. Doesn't hurt that he's still a great looking person into his 60s.

 

Blogger Sensible Footwear said ... (5:47 PM) : 

He has the most amazing face. And those eyes - my goodness. I really like this photograph.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:55 PM) : 

this is a great photograph, but i'm not sure i'm buying a shared process or understanding between you and the Clemente. still great photo!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:42 PM) : 

I hope this was taken a long time ago because I'm sweating just looking at him. I hope he doesn't wear that in the weather we've been having.

 

Anonymous The Photodiarist said ... (7:58 PM) : 

Love the look but totally agree with Marie @1:21. It is way too hot in New York these days (whole month of July)to be wearing a jacket, much less a scarf. Maybe you took this in April, May or June?

 

Anonymous Andrew said ... (8:25 PM) : 

This is nice. How do you spot these designers in passing?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:27 PM) : 

where can I get a jacket like that?

 

Blogger choppie said ... (8:36 PM) : 

Great artist! I don't think he really cares about how he looks....somebody said about the jacket from the 80's Armani. I kind of agree.

 

Anonymous REX5 said ... (9:11 PM) : 

lol.. in the clip provided, clemente's laugh after charlie asked him "waiting for what?" is a perfect demonstration of how "stylish" he is.

 

Blogger Robin Dodd Photography said ... (9:19 PM) : 

your brave.. being a photographer it's hard for me to do that, being a person who works mainly from appt. and not as candidly..But if I have to talk to someone I admire here in Nashvegas.. I get even more freaked out..your website is by far one of my favorites..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:59 AM) : 

thanks for posting the link to the interview. totally awesome. btw I love this blog.

 

Blogger mnlop said ... (1:24 AM) : 

Now I'm officially jealous of you! :)

 

Blogger Liz S said ... (1:40 AM) : 

A very handsome man who has that edge as many artists do. He seems to appear young at the same time as showing some age and wisdom. The colour and texture of the jacket is wonderful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:56 AM) : 

Girl in tank top and hole-y jeans. Man in linen jacket with big scarf knotted around his neck and black jeans.

Is it hot or cold in NY? ;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:07 AM) : 

So simple, so sharp.

 

Anonymous proletarian Great Gatsby said ... (4:35 AM) : 

I follow Francesco Clemente's work for years.He has always been a stylish and attractive man.

 

Blogger indigo16 said ... (8:13 AM) : 

Have you ever seen the remake of great Expectations? The one with Gwyneth Paltrow and Robert de Niro.
My friend's husband was the designer and they used Francesco Clemente's art work in the film. She begged her husband to try and obtain just the smallest of sketches but everything was carefully catalogued and collected. She was heartbroken! But it is a beautiful film not least because of the artwork.

 

Blogger supercalifragilisticexpialidocious said ... (9:08 AM) : 

i dont get how you managed to get the guts to ask people to have their pictures taken . i'm havin SUCH a big problem with it !

 

Blogger Sina Kauri said ... (12:50 PM) : 

..and looks so authentic

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:01 PM) : 

He's Neapolitan, natch.

 

Blogger kiki said ... (8:27 PM) : 

I am in love with Francesco Clemente!!! (don't tell my boyfriend ;) His portraits captivate me! One time I thought I saw him on an airplane with his wife, Alba. IT was about 10 years ago, but I swear it was him. I always wish I had said something to him but I didn't want to disturb him either. Anyway, great photo! I wonder if he was approachable?

 

Anonymous indigo.angel said ... (1:53 AM) : 

Wonderful interview. Thankyou.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:37 AM) : 

love you, frankie!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:31 AM) : 

Thank you for introducing this great artist! This is a great bonus and makes me even more faithful to your blog. Style goes through all layers of life. I guess frayed sleeves and intense eyes are an eternal match.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:06 PM) : 

Thanks for the link , great interview !!!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:25 AM) : 

i love the earthy tones and the casual elegance

 

Blogger Jerome said ... (2:21 AM) : 

in a sense, he's almost standing like a James Castle figure... Or... Something else I can't quite articulate.

His jacket sits on his shoulders in a way that allows his scarf to remove his head from a fixed balance. I wonder if it's his orientation that created that.

This picture is not like many of your other medium shots.

 

Anonymous Rose from The GrandTour said ... (3:26 AM) : 

I love hisgrat work for a long time ! A great artist !

 

Anonymous Dana said ... (7:58 AM) : 

Yes, love his jacket, his shirt/scarf and he has soulful eyes just like in his paintings.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:46 PM) : 

Admire him but a scarf in the heat of NYC now is beyond imagination and it makes me hot (not in the good way) just seeing him swaddled in that! :-) Jack

 

Blogger Katy Diamond Hamer said ... (6:41 PM) : 

Great photo and moment! Not only does he look fabulous both comfortable and stylish, but also is obviously a brave man facing the almost 100 degree NYC weather with a jacket! Even if it is linen....

xo

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:46 AM) : 

Oh, thank you so much for the link to the interview. It's amazing and inspiring!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:23 PM) : 

oh no, no celeb pics for the sole purpose of visually celebrating them, please. the blog does not need that nor does it benefit from that.

Best
yedint

 

Anonymous Purses Pastries Etc... said ... (11:00 AM) : 

He's an amazing artist and really inspiring! So glad you managed to work up the courage to talk to him -- though you have absolutely no reason to feel intimidated because in your own way you are just as multi-talented! Thanks for the link!

 

Blogger Jazzbuff630 said ... (1:38 PM) : 

I keep focusing on the scarf. It's very hot in New York City...

 

Anonymous Megan said ... (3:09 PM) : 

He is definitely an icon. You can just tell from his body language and what he chooses to wear. These things define him so much, not to mention his incredible artwork.

 

Blogger bird of light said ... (8:09 AM) : 

I like his expression..

x Bird.

 

Blogger Debra Jo said ... (2:56 AM) : 

I am in love.. I watched the Charlie Rose interview.. I am an artist.. and I was married to an Italian.. and I totally loved this man... His style is simplicity.. which is a great statement. I have only some of his work.. but will look for more... He is also only 2 days younger than me... what a hottie.

 

Blogger Eilish said ... (5:01 AM) : 

Amazing! what else can i say..


http://faialofa.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Kathleen said ... (10:49 AM) : 

This is an outstanding photograph Scott. I love his green linen jacket, finely frayed from years of wearing and the scarf although a bit wintery in feeling loos perfect with the outfit. The jeans are sexy. He is sexy!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:54 AM) : 

he owns the scarf rather than having it dominate the outfit. wonderful!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:17 AM) : 

He is so fantastic~!

 

Blogger Kathleen said ... (11:31 AM) : 

He is so beautiful. What a peaceful lovely man. I love his choice of colors, especially the jacket. He is so casual, yet meticulously put together. Nice!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:38 AM) : 

He has the best style in NYC. I remember he once told me he belives there is a perfect scarf for every outfit, There isn't a bigger womanizer in NYC... but they all love him. Poor Alba. His style is beyond amazing. Ask Lysa Cooper about the watch she wears... a gift from him that was originally given to him by Bruno Bischofbrger. Frankie we love you.

 

Anonymous Athena said ... (9:41 AM) : 

Wonderful! My favorite one yet. Great style by one of my favorite artists! Thank you for capturing this.

 

Blogger Eryl said ... (1:51 PM) : 

Thank you so much for the introduction; the interview is marvellous, I will watch it for years. Am particularly enamoured of his notion of time; his outfit is a perfect demonstration of it, too: authenticity in motion.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:54 PM) : 

hes sexy, really sexy. hes MAN not man. enigmatically and i see 'fog' in him eyes

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting