This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

The Button-Up, Florence

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Friday, September 03, 2010

The Button-Up, Florence

Are we ready for the button-up again?

It looks so great in old movies but can it be modern?

Comments on "The Button-Up, Florence"

 

Blogger http://freshonpr.blogspot.com/ said ... (9:35 AM) : 

beautiful portrait.
ciao
Nicola freshONpr

 

Anonymous Ijeoma said ... (9:35 AM) : 

Very hot university professor looking. I like!

Enjoy your weekend. x

 

Blogger Mr. Blog said ... (9:36 AM) : 

I don't think it looks modern at all. This particular image - amazing glasses aside - reminds me of The Grapes of Wrath.

 

Blogger BDC said ... (9:36 AM) : 

Certainly, and I think some men can pull it off quite well. (Like this fella.) But it all has to do with your neck, doesn't it? I mean, could you imagine Jeremy Piven buttoned-up? Disaster.

http://buttondowncollar.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:36 AM) : 

So smart!

 

Blogger indahariani said ... (9:37 AM) : 

Button-up again? Why not?! :)

 

Blogger orbite said ... (9:38 AM) : 

yes we are!

 

Blogger San said ... (9:38 AM) : 

Great portrait.

On the button up question. Hmm, just have not enough knowledge to answer this question on button up down or sideways. However I love the style of old movies. I'm really missing this kind of style these days. When I bought gloves this week the sales clerk told me they were leftovers from carnival. No style around here. Ts,ts,ts. And don't get me started on hats.

I think I have to go to Venice to do some serious gloves shopping.

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (9:39 AM) : 

Absolutely. It completely fits (pun intended) a minimal approach. Clean and unadorned.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:40 AM) : 

It looks strange! But on him, it seems fine. I love the shirt and his glasses. I think to use botton-up you must be very fashion. Anyway, it is a beautifull portrait.

 

Blogger Emily Louise Church said ... (9:40 AM) : 

Hot old man with good glasses, hello.

 

Blogger Sara said ... (9:41 AM) : 

Sure it can be modern. You never saw Stop Making Sense? Started a minor fad, back when...

 

Blogger Michelle Bobb-Parris said ... (9:43 AM) : 

I love this portrait.

I think it does indeed look modern. Although his glasses are also throw-back, there is something fresh about the finished product.

Michelle

http://whoisbobbparris.blogspot.com

 

Blogger the outfit diaries said ... (9:43 AM) : 

sure it can

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:44 AM) : 

He is so incredibly handsome... he can wear anything and it looks great...

 

Anonymous antonia said ... (9:44 AM) : 

it's going to be modern again.

 

Blogger Caddy said ... (9:44 AM) : 

I think if people can pull it off than why not? :)

I like his slicked back hair it adds to his charm.

 

Blogger Zbyszek said ... (9:47 AM) : 

Lovely - could somebody tell me where are these glasses from? I'm looking for a pair exactly like this...

 

Blogger CLAUDIA C. said ... (9:49 AM) : 

SO COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://audreyismyfavourite.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous naomi said ... (9:49 AM) : 

I think it could work. Like most of the things it would depend on who is wearing it and with how much conviction.

 

Blogger Jennie Nguyen said ... (9:50 AM) : 

i like nerd glasses!

xx http://jnsoo.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger amber lynn said ... (9:50 AM) : 

i think it can be modern. i really like his look, the glasses and hair just tie it all in.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:51 AM) : 

The button-up look has been virulent in London for the last few years. It treads a fine line between 'unique' and 'affected'. To be in the former camp really depends on the collar being an extension of the personality rather than the other way round.

 

Blogger Camerin said ... (9:51 AM) : 

Did it ever leave?
It always make something look polished and chic, even if unbuttoned a bit with rolled up sleeves.
And on men it seems almost romantic, to me.

http://amezclaofthings.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Marco said ... (9:55 AM) : 

This one in particular seems to work...

 

Blogger Grace Yu said ... (9:58 AM) : 

i love his glasses and scruffy bone structure. i tried doing the button-all-the-way-to-the-top thing the other day and i just looked very anal retentive. or rather, "buttoned-up". HARHAR

 

Blogger Café Naïveté said ... (10:03 AM) : 

Yes we are! Depends on with who we're dealing but on this man I find it very "masculine" and handsome... I think the look works much more if the haircut is bold and beautiful.

 

Blogger CAYA said ... (10:03 AM) : 

Where have you been the last two years? "Are we ready for the button-up again?".

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:04 AM) : 

I definitely hope we are, and I look forward to when it becomes more common.

Beautiful photography, as always!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:06 AM) : 

I totally believe it can look modern. The disheveled, shirttail-hanging-out look is so done. I'm ready for crisp.

 

Blogger Artfully Awear said ... (10:08 AM) : 

I'm most definitely for the return of the button-up. It's a shortcut to a polished look!

 

Anonymous Christian said ... (10:09 AM) : 

All nice things will be always modern.

 

Anonymous Scart said ... (10:12 AM) : 

LOVE the glasses

 

Blogger Jen said ... (10:12 AM) : 

Very handsome! Great look!

 

Anonymous fox in the woods said ... (10:13 AM) : 

yes, we're definitely ready for button-ups again... it looks great and fits well with minimalism! I think it can certainly be modern. Very flattering on men and women for that matter!

 

Anonymous phil said ... (10:16 AM) : 

shure we are! looks great!

 

Blogger Lisa Petrarca said ... (10:19 AM) : 

He definitely makes the button up look cool! I think it's going to depend on the person.

http://lisapetrarca.blogspot.com/2010/09/400th-post-wow.html

 

Blogger andrea.at.the.blue.door said ... (10:29 AM) : 

Are we ready for being reasonably well pressed again? I have a terrific idea for performance art - those of who know how, should iron shirts in public and show the rest of the world how it's done.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:30 AM) : 

Very nice. A look very close to my own.

 

Blogger S. Kahlon said ... (10:33 AM) : 

Buttoned all the way up? He's a brave man, and he definitely pulls it off.

 

Anonymous Amber said ... (10:33 AM) : 

It can definitely be modern.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:34 AM) : 

i sometimes wonder why some people rather appreciate your photographs but never really comment on the content:
yes - button-up is chic if the collar is right, i like it a bit more straight...

 

Blogger FASHION SNAG said ... (10:38 AM) : 

I love it, especially combined with the great glasses. x

www.FashionSnag.com

 

Blogger Sara Kristiina said ... (10:39 AM) : 

I don't think that button-up is bad. I do button-ups too, and I don't think it looks bad at all, especially on him :)) But well, that is only my opinion.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:42 AM) : 

It is modern, fantastic look.
Jakob Lindrup

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:42 AM) : 

The little studs on the shoulders look great, but would make a shoulder or crossbody bag really uncomfortable, so it would never work for most of my men. I'm not ready for unkempt beards, but I like the unironed button-up.

 

Blogger SabinePsynopsis said ... (10:44 AM) : 

More to unbutton... Sorry, being stupid. I think it depends on the neckline and face. He certainly looks great with a buttoned-up shirt.

 

Anonymous Sarah Eagle said ... (10:47 AM) : 

While this is a beautiful shot and a fascinating portrait, I have to admit that I really hope not. There is simply nothing sexier on a man than a buttoned up shirt with the first couple of buttons undone, I love getting that peak into the neck and just the very top of the chest. Like with women, showing just a hint of skin can be incredibly alluring while still tasteful.

 

Blogger James said ... (10:53 AM) : 

Fantastic!

James

www.tempusfugitwatch.com

 

Anonymous Hammond said ... (11:00 AM) : 

You mean doing the top button up without a tie? Still has kind of a rainman look to me. Also, looks like his collar is sticking up at the back...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:08 AM) : 

I love his lips. They make me wanna taste them. I love the buttoned-up shirt too. Putting it simple: I WANT THAT MAN RIGHT AWAY.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:10 AM) : 

Putting aside this man's pensive look, cool glasses and groomed hair - no, I don't think the buttoned up shirt is a very appealing look. Again, maybe for some men it might work (depending on the neck, as some have commented), but mostly I'd say - "meh".

www.ovojo.com
Your Brands.Your Stores

 

Blogger TheStreetFashion5xpro said ... (11:13 AM) : 

I love this portrait

 

Blogger pinky said ... (11:13 AM) : 

yes yes yes!!!
ALL THE WAY, baby!
SOOOO ready for the modest look.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:23 AM) : 

Definitely. It's the time for the button-up. Love it. Looks so classy ~

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:29 AM) : 

cracking up at andrea's comment - in fact, the first thing i noticed wasn't the buttoned up, but the wrinkled state of the shirt. if you're going to be proper then iron it proper :)

 

Blogger lintmag said ... (11:31 AM) : 

I say you can wear pretty much anything as long as you have cool accessories - shoes, bag, glasses mainly. You could be wearing granny's polyester pantsuit but if it was with some Rodarte melted wax heels, or crazy Prada bag or great specs, people who care about fashion would look at you in an appreciative way.

 

Anonymous jimjims said ... (11:37 AM) : 

button up works here.

probably wont fly in most situations.

http://jimjims.net

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:43 AM) : 

that look was popular in the eighties. they rocked that look in the film Rain Man. it does not look modern or interesting to me now.

 

Anonymous erika said ... (12:03 PM) : 

This man is extremely sexy. He can wear anything or nothing and it would be ok in my book!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:11 PM) : 

Well some people can pull a certain "look" off with style and some cant. This guy look great! but its Italy, he's thin and has a great face. Thats NOT MOST of us :) so I would say no Im not ready for it to return but thin guys with great facial bone structure probably can manage.

 

Anonymous Zoheb M said ... (12:19 PM) : 

This look is more than common amongst the youth around the UK these days...but needs to be executed well to look good. His glasses help alot!

 

Blogger Adrian said ... (12:19 PM) : 

I always wear my shirts buttom-up and I´m no planning to stop because I like it a lot :)

 

Anonymous Jice said ... (12:20 PM) : 

YES! I am ready for the button upand do believe it can look modern and handsome, especially on this lovely man.

 

Blogger dishly said ... (12:23 PM) : 

i'm ready!

 

Anonymous elizabeth said ... (12:36 PM) : 

i am not a huge fan of a shirt buttoned all the way. it makes my throat feel claustrophobic just seeing the picture. i do love his frames though!

 

Anonymous pirtskhal.com said ... (12:37 PM) : 

Good Pics.

-

www.pirtskhal.com

 

Blogger Raquel M.B.G. said ... (12:39 PM) : 

Don't like it, but the image is beautiful.

Raquel
www.bomsensoemformadegente.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:46 PM) : 

guapisimo!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:47 PM) : 

this is so perfect! the glasses and the buttoned-up shirt look so great together!
<3

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:25 PM) : 

Yes Scott it can be modern. This lovely looking man has pulled it off and yet not every man can. This shirt is so 'friendly' and looks like a favourite and he has a lovely neck and face. Not that you have to be good looking to pull off this look, you just need the right shaped neck, a much loved shirt and the right attitude I reckon. Julia

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:30 PM) : 

I don't know, but this dude looks great! And the wrinkes in the shirt make him look even cooler!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:35 PM) : 

I like it, the little button at the top, the detailing at the shoulders. This is a lovely looking shirt.

 

Blogger Isabel said ... (1:41 PM) : 

Weeeeelll... it certainly works for this amazingly whatever (intense, scruffy, chic, hot, sensual, sexy) man! I mean, wow!
The good thing about fashion these days is that anything goes, as long as it goes with the wearer!

 

Blogger Dara Marie said ... (1:52 PM) : 

Perhaps? I feel like a shirt buttoned all the way is finished nicely by a well taken car of collar. Of course, there are always exceptions.

 

Blogger Rebecca said ... (1:53 PM) : 

when did it ever go away? i love it!

http://itscohen.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Maria Ana said ... (2:03 PM) : 

As (almost) always, it depends on the wearer. So...yes, it can.

 

Anonymous William said ... (2:06 PM) : 

The top top button done up, along with skinny jeans, is just a little too passé now.

 

Anonymous Dana said ... (2:09 PM) : 

I think certain people can pull it off. Namely those with swan-like necks. This fellow can and I do like the rumpled look of the shirt. His carefree hair also works for this buttoned-up look. If the shirt was too starchy perhaps it wouldn't work.

 

Anonymous Dana said ... (2:10 PM) : 

P.S. He looks very Muji to me. And I love Muji.

 

Blogger Wolfgang said ... (2:17 PM) : 

Pretty sure they're the Ray-Ban "New Wayfarer" model. I believe that's the RB logo on the arm near the hinge.

Great shot. The button-up collar isn't for me, but it seems to work on this gentleman.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:19 PM) : 

Yes it still does look modern on him...

http://valentineavoh.blogspot.com/
-diary of a fashion stylist-

 

Anonymous nadia said ... (2:21 PM) : 

sexy is always modern to me!

 

Blogger Donnie Gayfield said ... (2:34 PM) : 

I think i'ts a classic option.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:48 PM) : 

Yes, I'm ready for a more polished men's look and this fellow pulls it off beautifully. His slim neck, good looks, hair and glasses really work for him.

It reminds me of my Czech grandfather who was always so meticulous in his appearance despite having so little money. He buttoned his shirts too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:03 PM) : 

stunning, modern, classic

 

Blogger Serena P. said ... (3:36 PM) : 

I love you and your blog! Your posts are fabolous!

S.

http://theblogofbrunette.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Best of Beehive said ... (4:04 PM) : 

I think a woman wearing a button up is more modern.

 

Blogger Alex Ingram said ... (4:12 PM) : 

IT works well for him
Dope blog.
Be sure to follow mine at tuxandtie.blogspot.com and on twitter at tuxandtie
Thanks!
Alex (www.alexingram.com)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:13 PM) : 

Very sexy guy. He probably looks great buttoned up or down.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:19 PM) : 

definetely romantic, not jet modern but still romantic.

 

Blogger Louise said ... (4:25 PM) : 

Very sexy, intellectual... button up or not, he can wear it! The manly stubble really balances it all out.

 

Anonymous Gabriela said ... (4:29 PM) : 

Modern YES
Cool YES
Sexy ? ...

 

Anonymous Curro said ... (4:53 PM) : 

Nowadays it depends on the shirt.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:57 PM) : 

Most of the guys I know have been wearing their shirts this way for ages

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:59 PM) : 

I think it all depends on how it's worn. What might look great on one person could look disastrous on the next. This man wears the button-up perfectly and has accessorized great with the glasses, but that's just one man. If worn with individuality and style the button-up could definitely be worn out and about.

sequinedowl.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Emil und die großen Schwestern said ... (5:57 PM) : 

cool portrait!

 

Anonymous xris said ... (6:30 PM) : 

I button up at least twice a week. Good for centering the self.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:42 PM) : 

I've seen the button up coming and going so many times the past years, so I guess I consider it a parallel occurence to the open button.
Though in terms of look I believe it should mostly be included in casual look with half-hidden eccentric elements. The button-up is harder to combine with more ordinary styles (in order not to look too casual).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:44 PM) : 

In england so many people are doing the button-up, its starting to get rather tedious and a tired out look -people are doing it with any old polo, shirt.

This man pulls it off with a great shirt and rightly should!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:07 PM) : 

I trully blieve it all depends on the size and shape of the shirt collar in correspondence to the subject's face. Most of the time it looks silly, but sometimes when it does work it's refreshing. I would never do it.

 

Anonymous jessie said ... (7:37 PM) : 

What an alluring face....amazing

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:46 PM) : 

Great Shot, love the hair and glasses...there is a tumblr that has great stuff that seems to fit your taste, its wwww.campiii.tumblr.com

 

Anonymous The Prestige said ... (8:12 PM) : 

It has been modern for the past 2 years. People are continuing to do it. Its a great clean look!s

 

Anonymous Suzanne Phillimore Nelson said ... (8:43 PM) : 

Nice shirt and it looks good on him. I don't think something has to be "modern" to be interesting and cool. IMO "modern" is over-used and over-rated.

 

Blogger Chee said ... (9:11 PM) : 

It's been in for quite a while now. It just isn't mainstream.

 

Anonymous Lee Oliveira said ... (10:45 PM) : 

It does work but it all depends on the look, the person, the face. I does look like there is something missing.

LOx

 

Anonymous kelli said ... (11:48 PM) : 

Modern, Yes! great shot.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:58 PM) : 

What role should ironing play in such a look as the classic button-down?

I am just curious because I do not own an iron.

 

Blogger dcresider said ... (12:16 AM) : 

I remember this look from way back when and I still love it!!!

 

Anonymous Angela said ... (12:22 AM) : 

YES, absolutely!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:49 AM) : 

great face, great glasses, great hair, great beard, love the fact that the shirt is wrinkled.

 

Blogger FBJ said ... (1:55 AM) : 

i vote yesss that the button-up is sooo modern! tucked into the right trousers with leather belt! i can only imagine what the bottom part of his outfit, down to his shoes looked like

jO
http://fashionbyjo.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Melissa said ... (1:57 AM) : 

I think the look is very sophisticated; however the look is something only European men could actually pull off x

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:31 AM) : 

First thought: What a beautiful man.

Second: I love the buttoned up look and see it a lot here in San Fran. It always looks crisp and clean.

 

Blogger anthony said ... (2:38 AM) : 

I'm not sure what a button-up is but that's excellent and so are the glasses. You probably couldn't put a tie on that collar.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:08 AM) : 

I always button up! Modern or not - it looks great (especially with a suit, i.e. "air-tie").

 

Blogger RIZALENIO said ... (3:12 AM) : 

With hair style and an eyeglasses like that, button-up is just right.

 

Anonymous Isobel Saoirse said ... (3:15 AM) : 

I think the women are ready, but the men are a bit hessitant.

I think it looks great, and oh so classic!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:47 AM) : 

i love the button-up: such a classic look that can make any outfit sophisticated.

 

Blogger Jasmin said ... (3:48 AM) : 

I love this photo, another awesome job Scott! I only wear my shirts all buttoned-up and I don't care about what others think, to me it's the best way of wearing a shirt...non?

http://unefilleunreve.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Sasha said ... (5:11 AM) : 

It depends on the man and his body structure... While on some it looks great, others it looks like they trying out the latest form of straight-jacket, as it appears to cut off circulation to their already thick neck.

 

Anonymous This Time Now said ... (5:12 AM) : 

Up or down, it's all about him.

He's stunning.

 

Blogger KC said ... (6:52 AM) : 

oh i'm sure it can. my friends do it all the time and i think they look great.

nouveauskin.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:23 AM) : 

Wrinkled = elegant

(I found this blog today. Oxygen to my mind)

L.S.

 

Blogger Margo said ... (9:07 AM) : 

why does it need to be modern? It's classic, is all! And as a classic, I think it's always appropriate even if it's not the hippest of the hip looks. I adore classic shirts. Nice photo.

 

Blogger Anna said ... (9:08 AM) : 

I think its important to dress to flatter your shape. This handsome chap pulls it off very well and the shirt looks perfect for it. Other people might not be able to pull it off quite so well. But if you can then i think we're ready!

 

Anonymous MaggieMay said ... (9:10 AM) : 

I button up at the time!

 

Blogger peter said ... (9:45 AM) : 

Come fly away, come fly away with me!

 

Anonymous Mery said ... (10:32 AM) : 

As a woman I find that using the button up (with hair up) makes people take me more seriously! It makes a a more manly appearance - or unwomanly, rather.
In a way it can be used to make a certain statement and thus can be viewed an example of an anachronic means for women to find acceptance as an equal in a man's world (as opposed to the other means of wearing a mini skirt).
By no means do I find women in our culture being oppressed. It just goes to show what clothes (and buttons, for that matter!) might mean and convey.

 

Blogger mara said ... (10:57 AM) : 

definitely!!! omg, and that dude has a really alluring look. dont u think?

http://amaturecouture.com/

 

Anonymous miss scarlet said ... (12:08 PM) : 

yes it can! it s great when done right...and is that a tiny pearl on the first button of the guy's shirt??
cute!

miss scarlet

www.cluecult.com

 

Blogger Pink said ... (1:03 PM) : 

chic!! love it!!

check out my fashion blog at thetalesofselfindulgence.blogspot.com

the new post is updated today!! DOMT MISS xoxo... if you fancy it pls follow via bloglovin or google:-)

 

Blogger BlogCoder said ... (1:31 PM) : 

There are several trends that die and do not return but the button-up trend is one that will transcend time and generation; total classic.

www.ashluxe.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Grace Escudero - The Afeminada said ... (2:16 PM) : 

Why not? It wouldn't hurt to try, right? Fashion is 100% about risks.

www.theafeminada.blogspots.com

 

Anonymous Amy said ... (2:24 PM) : 

Classic and infinitely preferable to the previous photograph....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:45 PM) : 

I have a weird thing for button up shirts - they are extremely sexy ;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:48 PM) : 

i think we're ready! it'll be fun to figure out exactly what to pair it with accessory-wise, but we're "ready" ;) there is a sense of modern in this picture i believe.
but what do i know?
i like it,
andrea

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:49 PM) : 

Very, very inspiring - the way the collar is not perfectly crisp together with the fabric, the hair and the glasses. Fantastic.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:04 PM) : 

Dashing, sexy and yet approachable. The Italian lion dressed as lamb.

 

Blogger Sootjeelina said ... (4:14 PM) : 

I love button up and the glasses are very nice

xoxo Sootjeelina <3

 

Blogger a girl with a smile said ... (5:34 PM) : 

What a beau.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:43 PM) : 

wow, this is an amazing shot, loving the mood there + great colours and lighting

vasilieva
http://elenavasilieva.blogspot.com/

xx

 

Blogger Arantxa Chavarria said ... (7:49 PM) : 

I think it can be modern and it could also look great...




http://sweetlittleconfessions.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:24 PM) : 

i have the same shirt! great detailing by Unrivaled, classic yet modern
-xymon

 

Blogger lily boyce said ... (9:06 PM) : 

this man proves that while it may not be 'modern' or 'trendy', it will always be a classic. especially when you've got those great glasses to style it up!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:41 PM) : 

with brands like band of outsiders, how could we not be ready for the reemergence of the button up?

 

Anonymous Maui Girl Swimwear said ... (9:55 PM) : 

Clean lines. Not every guy can pull it off, but those who can really get it down. Mahalo.

 

Blogger limyasmin said ... (10:56 PM) : 

The professor glasses match well with the button-up seasoned cotton shirt!

 

Blogger brightlightsbigcity said ... (11:25 PM) : 

great portrait. i love his glasses

http://watermelonfeet.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Lacey said ... (12:44 AM) : 

On slim men, I think it can work. But chubby necks + Buttoned up = Horribly wrong.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:59 AM) : 

I am really in love with this man. Gorgeous!! The portrait is excellent!

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (5:43 AM) : 

Yes, it can be modern, but the collar has to be small. If you would button up a shirt with a wide / long / big collar...it wouldn't look as good.

So yes, it can be modern...for sure. :)
And the Swedish people are doing it for years.

 

Anonymous J.Bristow said ... (6:44 AM) : 

I was pretty confused when I saw the comment added to this photo about whether we are ready for button-up again, because here in New Zealand the top button done up is quite normal for 'sartorialists' a-like!

Then I went through some older posts of yours and realised something that I had not observed already...that majority of men in your photos that wear shirts in a casual setting have, generally speaking, at least 2 buttons loose! Interesting the differences since a lot of people here follow european/american fashion.

 

Blogger Paula Elizabeth Fowler said ... (8:35 AM) : 

I think he comes across as modern because he looks comfortable. It's not the shirt, or the glasses...it's the man, which btw, looks great!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:36 AM) : 

It definitely can be modern! Button-up is very elegant and classy but somewhat gives a feeling of mystery with the limitation of skin exposure.

Remedy Rouge
(streetstyle from Asia)

http://remedyrouge.blogspot.com

 

Blogger LadyNoir said ... (9:44 AM) : 

I think it can be modern again:):)

XOXO

 

Blogger Erica Love said ... (9:57 AM) : 

please! bring back the button up! very Euro chic.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:10 AM) : 

The weathered and rumpled shirt. The aged and slender face. The horn rims and top buttom add such a nice touch. I like it, but its a look that works on him, not the every man.

Well framed photo.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:54 AM) : 

its very common in melbourne

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:00 PM) : 

Love the button up, but not ALL THE WAY buttoned up. Men look like they're so uncomfortable or they just lost their necktie somewhere like this. Don't look like Tom Jones "down to there", but don't strangle men either.

 

Blogger *sunday* said ... (12:44 PM) : 

he is a very handsome man! I love the glasses too

 

Anonymous latetademarta said ... (1:04 PM) : 

yes, definetely YES!!!

 

Anonymous Melissa said ... (1:25 PM) : 

I have always loved the button up shirts. I think they can be whatever they need to be depending on how they are worn and with what.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:29 PM) : 

When it's paired with some degree of scruffiness (his hair and facial hair) it works. If he had very short hair and total shave, it'd would look too uptight. The glasses help too. I like!

 

Blogger Keli said ... (1:39 PM) : 

yes. yes to everything about the photo.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:41 PM) : 

this man can pull it off. definitely. his hair, that's a little too long. his beard, that's a little overgrown.
his shirt that is a little un-ironed.
style.
yes.

 

Anonymous Diseño Web said ... (2:15 PM) : 

:-) excellent

 

Blogger eupham said ... (2:20 PM) : 

Its partially cultural I think. I mean historically, peasants in russia and more eastern europe would keep their top button done always. In the US and UK, you would traditionally unbutton the top one or two buttons when going sans neckwear, and in Italy its acceptable to unbutton even more. That being said, it looks as modern as any of the other worker, peasant 1890's inspired styles that have been dominating trends for the past several years. I haven't decided if I like it for me (though I have toyed with it a bit), but I do think it looks good on some people.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:33 PM) : 

Looking modern to me is being VERY at home in your own skin. When everything you wear and most importantly HOW you wear it come together in synch with yourself... not only sounds esoteric, but looks mighty cool. And yes, modern.

It means different things to everyone then.

Modern to me specifically means not being afraid to wear your emotions out.
Seeing an all buttoned up shirt often makes me want to open it myself... I guess that's why I find it sexy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:26 PM) : 

What kind of button is this? And what´s on shoulders?

 

Blogger André said ... (4:39 PM) : 

The guy on the pic looks great but I would never do that button on a shirt or a polo.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:57 PM) : 

I think this guy is gorgeous, but I would prefer even one button opened. Buttoned up shirts without a tie to me look either a bit unfinished or standoffish!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:14 PM) : 

It's been a trend here in Sweden for a while now, in London too it seems.

 

Anonymous Isaac said ... (5:35 PM) : 

Where could one find those frames?

 

Anonymous the gracious gaze said ... (6:57 PM) : 

I'm ready! I love the buttoned-up.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:15 PM) : 

It doesn't have to be modern, just classic. And we are so ready for it.

Olive

www.VisforOlive.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Emily and Abigail said ... (7:16 PM) : 

I think this looks great!

www.lovelywanderlust.com

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:45 PM) : 

why not, depends on time of year mind. When it's hot out, it may not be a great idea, what with sweat drips all over your shirt.

 

Blogger Norwegiantage said ... (9:42 PM) : 

im not ready haha

<3mvv

themodernvv.com

 

Blogger Boo said ... (10:30 PM) : 

so ready! it has modern written all over it.

 

Anonymous ricardo said ... (12:47 AM) : 

neoclassic look

 

Blogger The Pilgrim said ... (1:31 AM) : 

I think it looks very modern (again), but it depends on the collar, of course, the one the gentleman is wearing in this picture is very nice because it's casual and unstructured.

I've been wearing my polo shirts like that this summer and I like the little "strictness" of it, it looks tidier all of a sudden.

 

Blogger .ASHA said ... (4:52 AM) : 

it's such an arty look, i've seen heaps of people around who do it. it has been back for awhile now.

 

Anonymous proletarian Great Gatsby said ... (5:03 AM) : 

I like that "boy in the striped pyjamas".

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:18 AM) : 

Definitely! Looks good on him and don't you decide or yourself if something is modern?

http://cestsuperbelabels.etsy.com

 

Anonymous grace said ... (6:47 AM) : 

This is a great picture, the gentleman in question wears the rugged look well.

www.grace-and-glory.co.uk

 

Blogger Goodkindles said ... (6:56 AM) : 

Great!

 

Blogger Mr. Bitch said ... (6:58 AM) : 

yes it looks great! on the other hand, those guys with the 3,4,5...etc buttons open are in the majority a nightmare for our eyes (especially in you walk in greece by night you will understand...)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:58 AM) : 

This is a great pictur.
question air
Thanks

 

Blogger Annie Wright said ... (8:09 AM) : 

I like the shirt, which looks much loved and deliciously scruffy. The button-up is a step too far.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:21 AM) : 

I love the button-up. In crisp fabrics, it's very dapper, and in a relaxed linen, has the perfect breezy look.

Also, fantastic glasses!

Becca

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:55 AM) : 

Doing it already in London! x

 

Blogger Layla said ... (11:32 AM) : 

I really like the button-up; I think it has class without trying too hard. It's definitely modern, if done correctly.

http://alwaysanerd.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Chelsey said ... (1:32 PM) : 

I adore adore adore fully buttoned-up. It's so.. sharp. Not to mention, I absolutely loathe to see white Hanes undershirt peaking through. SO cheesy. Ugh.

http://bobachi.blogspot.com/
http://bobachi.blogspot.com/
http://bobachi.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:43 PM) : 

Great portrait- amazing photo! I definitely think that the button up can be modern although I don't think it works on everyone- however it does on him.
I love your blog, if you have the time then check out mine.


www.styleisalwaysfashionable.blogspot.com


Thanks.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:43 PM) : 

My Boyfriend used last winter/spring in Paris,it was so natural and modern!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:59 PM) : 

Yes, yes, yes!

 

Blogger Jane said ... (7:42 PM) : 

I am!
Everything else about this shirt is so perfect too: the softness of the stripes, the texture, the stitching down the front.

 

Blogger 3 windows gallery said ... (7:53 PM) : 

LOVE IT ! Demure & a bit quirky...

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting