This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Top Looks....Prada, Milano

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Top Looks....Prada, Milano

This is easily one of the best Prada men's collections I've seen in a while. Gone are the sometimes over-the-top design details replaced by a very desirable collection based on color and proportion.

I think one of the few positives of this economic turbulence has been a shift away from designers trying to seduce us into what they think we need and instead offering clothes that we simply want to wear.

I'm showing more images from the runway this season (so far, anyway) because I'm actually seeing lots to love. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will continue in Paris.

(click to enlarge)(click to enlarge)(click to enlarge)(click to enlarge)

Comments on "Top Looks....Prada, Milano"

 

Blogger fashion blah blah said ... (6:06 PM) : 

absolutely stunning. Love the colours, love the boatneck jumpers over the shirts, love the cargo shapes...love everything. Thanks Scott.

 

Blogger Ivan said ... (6:06 PM) : 

the prada always innovating quietly, I love the cool style and simple but sophisticated...

vovominhareferencia.blogspot.com

ivancavalcante.tumblr.com

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:10 PM) : 

great shoes !! like them ! =)

 

Blogger SarahPeslar said ... (6:15 PM) : 

The bottom picture with that amazing sweater just inspired me on a whole new level!




http://fashionsmind.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger KC said ... (6:19 PM) : 

i'm feeling this. especially the boatneck sweater. this, i have to say, is a smart collection.

 

Blogger M said ... (6:20 PM) : 

great colors, clean aesthetic, especially keen on the shoes, it all works beautifully

 

Blogger San said ... (6:20 PM) : 

The first style is fabulous except for the shoes.

I can't say that I like the rest. Mostly because I don't like wide mens shorts and especially not with those legs. Those boys certainly don' have the legs to wear this kind of shorts.

But I agree with you on the more wearable clothes.

Great pictures, thanks for sharing.

 

Blogger EML said ... (6:20 PM) : 

Those denim shorts are absolutely hideous and terribly cool at the same time

 

Blogger Victoria and Danni said ... (6:20 PM) : 

colors seem to be THE trend for men this season. As exemplified by these shots, and the Jil Sanders show.

Love everything!!

Thedeckmiami.blogspot.com

 

Blogger SabinePsynopsis said ... (6:22 PM) : 

Very promising. Makes me all the more excited about the women's collection.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:31 PM) : 

The clothes certainly do look interesting- the blazer is eye-catching but the men on the runway are looking a tad underweight, no?

 

Blogger CHLOE and JESSICA said ... (6:53 PM) : 

love the simplicity and tailoring of the first look
xo

http://www.leatherlaceblog.com/
http://www.leatherlaceblog.com/

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:06 PM) : 

Those shorts are going to make anybody's legs, even the strongest of rugby players, looks like chicken legs... Other than that aesthetic issue they are cool.

 

Blogger Cara said ... (7:12 PM) : 

The shoes are amazing.

 

Blogger Contact said ... (7:42 PM) : 

i really like the bottom picture!!

<33
heelsandinspiration.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Bonnie Leclerc said ... (7:50 PM) : 

I hate it, especially the over-the-collar sweaters and the ample shorts. Sorry.

 

Anonymous Haley said ... (7:54 PM) : 

I'm so happy to see that men's fashion is so experimental for this season. This season is breaking free from neutral slacks and jackets and embracing some new colors and shapes! I'd love to see how those shorts would be worn on the street.

www.flickr.com/photos/superstark

 

Anonymous adam said ... (8:20 PM) : 

top half of the models look nice--proportion, etc. however, not so much on the skorts and clunky shoes.

eckh...

 

Anonymous dodz said ... (8:50 PM) : 

I really love your site so informative and i added it already on my blog can add me here please...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:51 PM) : 

I have been with you from the start, proudly, and finally want to say that you should change your title from sartorialist to fashionalist. The difference does not matter to some, but i know you know the distinction. Sorry, it's how i feel.

 

Blogger bubblistyle said ... (8:56 PM) : 

Yes, I agree. I think the sweaters, suits and jackets look amazing, but ehh.. not quite sure about the shorts and shoes.
http://www.bubblistyle.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:18 PM) : 

That denim skort or is it Raver pants/Jenko Jeans cut offs is ridiculous -in a really bad way.

 

Blogger Chloe said ... (9:25 PM) : 

I liked the collection, but I'm not digging the GIANT baggy shorts with raw edges.

 

Blogger N. E. Levey said ... (9:27 PM) : 

Loving the neckline shapes and details.

 

Anonymous Marg said ... (9:30 PM) : 

I find the shorts interesting. I'm growing to like them.

 

Blogger Viagens da Paulete said ... (9:34 PM) : 

These shoes look like the ones from the mens that take people for a ride in a basket in Madeira Island, Portugal!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:56 PM) : 

Shorts = atrocity.

 

Anonymous Tangent Mag said ... (10:02 PM) : 

Tangent loves that there is some color in this years mens fashion week!

Love the shoes too.

 

Anonymous corve said ... (10:04 PM) : 

It was the best colection season hands down

Beats out D&G and CK

As I was going through the photos I loved it

 

Blogger Nadine2point0 said ... (10:08 PM) : 

A little scared by those denim shorts...otherwise pretty cool. Love the fit of that first set of trousers!

 

Blogger Olivia said ... (11:26 PM) : 

Very sharp! And I'm loving those wide-legged shorts!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:32 PM) : 

Prada;
Top half is excellent but the wide leg shorts? ... totalmente assurdi e no per me grazie!
Bottega Veneta;
Rich colour pallet and alluring details enough to please both sides of the fence (you know what I mean) ... che stile!

Grazie mille Scott ... when are you back in Melbourne?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:51 AM) : 

although designers are simplifying their lines, do you think the price tag will entice buyers to pay the "high end price" for simplified goods?

 

Anonymous Z Fashion Blog said ... (12:56 AM) : 

I was actually a bit dissapointed in the Prada show..
2010 was much nicer.

 

Blogger kathrynnova said ... (2:00 AM) : 

there is a simplicity running around now that we've been missing for years. while i will always enjoy the over-the-top, stretch-your-imagination kind of clothes, i will never tire of enjoying something truly wearable and simply stylish and i'm glad it is back (for women and for men).

worldrunway.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Eilish said ... (2:03 AM) : 

Love the shapes and colors :) wide-legged shorts.. I love them !


http://faialofa.blogspot.com

 

Blogger MMM said ... (2:13 AM) : 

amazing as usual..


www.modemuffins.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Kazuko said ... (2:24 AM) : 

perfection by prada. i just love every single thing. want it all - for myself! :)

 

Blogger Star said ... (2:42 AM) : 

AMEN and AMEN, again, to wearable clothes on the catwalk...don't like those too baggy shorts, though, nor the rainbow colors on the shoulders of the last sweater...they didn't get the contrast with the dark body of the sweater just right, I think. Gorgeous photos, as usual, and today is dawning much lovelier in Milan; thank goodness you'll be able to enjoy this beautiful city this time without the rain too typical of fashion show periods.

 

Blogger *sunday* said ... (2:54 AM) : 

i often think (including right now as i am reading your post) that men's fashion is becoming just as exciting if not more exciting than women's... i see some things and wish i were a man so i could wear them

 

Anonymous heidihemno said ... (3:15 AM) : 

It's just so elegant and wearable, wish I was a guy..
I would love a pair of those wide shorts! Jalous! ;)

 

Anonymous Ros said ... (4:12 AM) : 

Love those shoes!

 

Blogger CLAUDIA C. said ... (4:28 AM) : 

I really love Prada's colors...

http://audreyismyfavourite.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Fabio Bucciardini said ... (4:51 AM) : 

Prada is great but...

Don't forget what "we" are really interested to see by you is your vision of the outside of the shows.

 

Blogger ADJIUMI said ... (4:57 AM) : 

The best...as usual!!

 

Blogger Lisa Petrarca said ... (5:08 AM) : 

I'm with you Scott...love the everyday stylish wear of this collection. Those shoes are too cool!

Guess that is one of the only advantages of the recession.

http://lisapetrarca.blogspot.com/2010/06/so-proud.html

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:35 AM) : 

great look, loving the elegance of it. fabulous

http://elenavasilieva.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Jan van der Walden said ... (5:57 AM) : 

Wow, thank you for this insight! I can see quite lot of wearable designs.
How to refer to one photo, when there are so many in one post? Maybe a short description (or number) for each photo would help...

I like this one:
http://www.thesartorialist.com/photos/62010BVblupants_4072Web.jpg

 

Blogger Klumboy said ... (6:08 AM) : 

love the colorful sweater !

http://klumboy.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Ramin said ... (6:46 AM) : 

I dont like the shorts nor the shoes, I like the first sweater though.

 

Anonymous proletarian Great Gatsby said ... (7:44 AM) : 

It was time to see men in colors.Thanks.And ohhh all those fantastic blues declination!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:54 AM) : 

Lose some of the simplicity of the looks. I like it when people wear the clothing, not the clothing wear the people. But the shorts? Sorry, those proportions just remind me of women's culottes. Not flattering at all on models with great bodies..now imagine them on the usual person wearing them.

 

Blogger Becca said ... (8:07 AM) : 

the most amazing piece of this collection are definitely the shoes.

 

Blogger Román Iglesias said ... (8:29 AM) : 

I love shoes but better for winter think so
http://coolneeded.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:39 AM) : 

Awesome shoes!

 

Blogger Signe said ... (9:03 AM) : 

Interesting shorts, I wonder what Magdalena Ribbing (Sweden's expert on clothes etiquette etc. would say about these: she feels shorts should never be worn
1. at work
2. at a restaurant
3. at a grocery store out of consideration for ones fellow citizens.
Something along the lines of these are the wide, many-pocketed jeans-skirts that one sometimes sees on (avant garde?)carpenters here in Sweden.

 

Blogger joshylola said ... (9:47 AM) : 

I love orange and camel :-D

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:50 AM) : 

Funny shoes !


http://valentineavoh.blogspot.com/
-the diary of a belgian stylist-

 

Anonymous Hausi said ... (10:01 AM) : 

It is always amazing how fast men are satisfied with simple style.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:01 AM) : 

Don't love the wide shorts that look like skirts. But love the boatneck sweater in the last Prada photo.

 

Blogger the coolbirth kid said ... (10:03 AM) : 

i love the boatnecks for men!
so glad to see them on the runway,
hopefully next on the street!

 

Blogger Peachy said ... (10:07 AM) : 

I'm not normally big into menswear, but I love this line. The outfit in the first picture is especially cute.

 

Blogger James Gerrard said ... (10:41 AM) : 

The first picture looks like the model is gliding.

I WANT THOSE BROGUES!!!

http://boyfromnewy.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger the nickel fit said ... (12:01 PM) : 

always been a fan of prada's higher jacket cuts. agreed on how a little understatement compared to past years goes a long way.

 

Blogger Maowel said ... (12:16 PM) : 

I so totally agree with you, Scott. Watching the show last night I was absolutely in awe how much those clothes were altogether wearable, simple, modern, easily understandable and yet innovative. In fact I cannot wait until this collection goes in stores: rarely have I felt I could identify so much with the style of a designer without having the impression of going a little over the top. Thanks for posting and pointing out to Miuccia's formidable achievement. :)

 

Blogger 82Brute said ... (1:01 PM) : 

The shoes! The SHOES!!! The world is going to become immediately obsessed with them. The shorts are an interesting idea, but look a bit too much like a mom skirt in denim. The colors are paired in a really exciting way, but as you say, very wearable. Hooray!

 

Blogger Kitchen fitter in Faversham said ... (3:33 PM) : 

Very simple and gorgeous clothes! Really like them, i love your blog by the way bieing following for a while.
Regards from London
Marga

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:43 PM) : 

i hope PRADA makes the wide shorts and cool shoes for the girls to!!!! I bet Marc Jacobs would wear those shorts in a flash!!!

 

Blogger Prutha Raithatha said ... (4:45 PM) : 

loving the shoes!!

 

Anonymous SwanDiamondRose said ... (5:32 PM) : 

i love the oversize denim shorts outfit.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:31 PM) : 

Clothes that we simply want to wear? Really?? Who does actually want to wear those ridiculously wide bermudas?

 

Anonymous Herzog said ... (8:29 PM) : 

Booooring... Or is it just me?

I would expect something edgier and more elegant from Prada. If these clothes were on sale at J. Crew, no one would bat an eye.

 

Anonymous guto said ... (9:17 PM) : 

loving the first look...

 

Blogger Moonlight said ... (7:19 AM) : 

I like it. It is simple, but you can tell the clothes are very well-made. I'm not a fan of shorts, on men or women, because somehow it always looks a little cheap. But here it looks very tailored, and the colors kept it from being too tame.

 

Blogger 82Brute said ... (8:03 AM) : 

The shorts remind me of the special uniform that Shintaido masters wear. I always thought they'd make an interesting fashion statement. http://www.shintaido.org/gallery/2010_National/ito1
It's a fabulous idea for the runway. I don't know if they'll catch on, but thy just might given the current passion for gigantically long sports shorts.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:07 PM) : 

Lots to love. I wish designers would start to think along the same vein for women.
I'm always searching for beautiful, well proportioned basics such as these (in these gorgeous stormy palettes) and, boy, what a rare find they are. It's just starting to creep into the industry with "boyfriend pants" "boyfriend sweaters" etc., but I feel there is a serious lag, still.
The most inspirational of your posts for day to day style are often the menswear or menswear-inspired looks. I hope there are designers out there listening (and looking!)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:24 PM) : 

I like the first look, the rest is bullshit. Maybe I just don't 'get it', but the majority runway fashion consists of stuff that no one would ever wear on a daily basis.

 

Anonymous Megan said ... (3:15 PM) : 

I love Prada going to a more comfortable low key look while still remaining classic. The only qualm is I detest the big shorts. They seem to be too over the top and I would not want to see my man wearing them.

 

Anonymous Kar said ... (4:02 PM) : 

Today on "Sprocket," we dance. (cue Kraftwerk)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:33 PM) : 

Ummm...coulottes?

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:46 PM) : 

Scott,
I have never been so excited about collections before. Prada and Bottega Veneta made me literally scream for joy!

I just love an elegant neckline. However, most are too feminine or conservative for me. I am a masculine man. Boatnecks are so rare in menswear despite. Oh, I just am touched. BV's high concept sportwear that looks like it could even be used for sports and endure it all. The folding of the neckline to the side seams and you know those zippers work all the way through. YEA!!! All around, yea!

 

Anonymous ridwan said ... (8:41 PM) : 

nice shoes

http://muhammadr06.student.ipb.ac.id

 

Anonymous Ian said ... (10:19 PM) : 

Very unisex/androgynous. I can easily picture women in this collection. The shorts made me laugh in a good way;with delight. I love it when someone opts to contradict a trend, such as skinny everything. But I do see the point of other comments about Skorts and Culottes. The 1st pic being skinny everything, is my least favorite look because of it. Ho-hum, it's been done. Love the shoes though!

 

Blogger Blog Moderator said ... (1:37 AM) : 

I have to say most of these selections seem wearable and good choices but what is with these shorts?

They seem buffoonish in proportion and styling... Certainly not my taste.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:23 AM) : 

Skinny clothes is one thing but why are the men models so thin!? As a woman I don't get it. Why would a grown man want to identify with tiny boys?

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:33 AM) : 

Don't know what Miuccia thought when designing that chunky shoes... big dislike!
But the shorts are great - creating a silhouette that seems very new and innovative - just what Prada is all about, always.

 

Anonymous jools said ... (2:18 PM) : 

Am I the only one who is reminded of germany in the 30s and 40s? the haircut, truly awful!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:46 PM) : 

am i right to think - only skinny blokes can get away with shorts like these? any thoughts...

 

Anonymous EliseT said ... (2:50 PM) : 

Love it - first picture has all GREAT clothes. Not to mention the shoes in all of them...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:56 PM) : 

I can't quite tell, but is the first model wearing dark navy, charcoal, and dark brown shoes? I think they did that just to prove they could make it work. Also, there is something futuristic about this collection to me, and all the looks fit perfectly in the same era. These clothes are clean and precise and I don't think they would look half as sleek on overly muscular men.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:31 PM) : 

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm kinda digging the skorts.

 

Anonymous Yellow Penguin said ... (7:43 PM) : 

Prada with their bold collection. Love it! Great photos.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:43 PM) : 

so wrinkles are in this season? Only on the garments though, apparently.

 

Anonymous Blaise said ... (12:08 AM) : 

This is a Men's collection, but even I, as a woman, am drawn to wear such fabulous men's wear! Great collection indeed.

 

Blogger Liz S said ... (9:07 AM) : 

Love the extra wide shorts--although the denim ones may be a little too bulgey at the front. Love the slimline look in the first photo with the platform shoes. And that striped jumper is divine especially on that lighter coloured model.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:56 PM) : 

You have to be slender and scrawny with almost no muscles to wear those clothes. That's for sure! But then they will look fabulous!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:53 PM) : 

Skinny on top, very baggy on the bottom. A normally proportioned guy, not to mention a muscular or fat one, would find it difficult to maintain the proportions of the clothes.

Nevertheless, I like the look, especially the first one, which does seem futuristic (as someone else said) to me.

 

Anonymous duane said ... (11:54 AM) : 

Prada hardly ever does wrong in my eyes. The orange blazer outfit is my favourite.

 

Anonymous Marta said ... (7:54 PM) : 

I really dont like the shoes in these ensembles! Rather off-puting. Online Credit Score

 

Anonymous hadar said ... (1:09 PM) : 

anybody knows where I can find those kind of shoes? even a search word or something, because I really like them and don't know what is the name of this style.
thanks!

 

Blogger Eudald said ... (7:45 AM) : 

I LOVE THIS PRADA COLLECTION! COMPLETELY AGREE THAT'S ONE OF THE BEST ONES SO FAR!
LOVING THE PICTURES AS ALWAYS :)

 

Blogger Tom said ... (7:38 AM) : 

I like the baggy legs on the Bermudas. I'll be visiting the Prada stores for these, they'll fit my rugby player's thighs, finally!

 

Blogger J.B.P. said ... (4:16 PM) : 

A fantastic show. Great combination of tight and loose fitting clothing.

 

Anonymous Anti Aging Products said ... (4:17 PM) : 

Wow i love all the collection thanks for your post

 

Anonymous truth about abs review said ... (4:21 PM) : 

Absolutely amazing collection

 

Anonymous Anti Aging Supplements said ... (5:42 PM) : 

I love PRADA collections , thanks for your post.

 

Anonymous Anti Aging said ... (11:07 AM) : 

Fantastic collection , great post
thanks

 

Blogger Jas Rewkiewicz said ... (6:35 PM) : 

When and where can we buy those shoes?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:44 PM) : 

Horrible shorts, the kind that can only be worn on a runway...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:40 PM) : 

The wide-legged shorts have the effect of a skirt, especially from a profile view. Are we one step closer to skirts for men, then?

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:50 PM) : 

Love the shoes...

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:51 PM) : 

Love the shoes...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:25 PM) : 

I could see myself wearing everything in the first look. That is rare for me. It embodies my style.

 

Anonymous Ronah said ... (11:53 AM) : 

those are nice shoes!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting