This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street......Little Bit of Sparkle, Milano

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, May 03, 2010

On the Street......Little Bit of Sparkle, Milano

A hard-drive crashed on me, and I thought I had lost this shot.

Originally, I stopped this woman because I loved her salt & pepper hair. It wasn't until we began speaking that I noticed the very subtle bit of sparkle on her cheeks; such an unexpected touch for a Milanese lady, like this.

It wasn't until even later, when I was working on the image at the hotel, that I noticed the smudge of sparkle on her earlobe. This lady is chic.

Comments on "On the Street......Little Bit of Sparkle, Milano"

 

Blogger I V E S T I T I ! said ... (5:12 PM) : 

She's gotta be a cool lady...

I V E S T I T I !

 

Blogger Saffron said ... (5:12 PM) : 

I really like it when you represent diverse people on your blog.

I'm always so afraid you'll just showcase the fashionistas and forget about the true gems.

This shot is very inspiring! Thank you!

 

Blogger FASHION SNAG said ... (5:15 PM) : 

She is a beautiful lady! Love the sparkles. x

www.FashionSnag.com

 

Anonymous triompho di pigrizzia said ... (5:17 PM) : 

It is so inspiring to see such a beautiful elder lady that is so creative with her look

 

Blogger MJCK said ... (5:22 PM) : 

Wow, I would love to have her as my sparkling grandmother...

 

Anonymous The Photodiarist said ... (5:22 PM) : 

a nice way to add "diamonds" to one's look!

 

Anonymous nadia said ... (5:25 PM) : 

i have to say i love this shot very much- such emotion in it. i am drawn to her. that she uses sparkle to do so much yet is able to keep it simple is perfection and that it compliments the hemming of her scarf is also intriguing.

i love that you stopped her, i love evem more the way you captured a feeling.

 

Anonymous Laura said ... (5:27 PM) : 

Or her granddaughter hugged her goodbye...

 

Blogger Daniel said ... (5:30 PM) : 

A very interesting old lady! Very elegant.
Let's grow up later

 

Blogger joanaddicted said ... (5:30 PM) : 

Not only chic, but beautiful too..

 

Anonymous Annie Hamman said ... (5:31 PM) : 

The way you photograph people makes me feel like I already know them, or they remind me of someone I love. There is immediate connection and emotinal response. This photo is amazing. I keep looking at it.

 

Blogger ColorHater said ... (5:32 PM) : 

I wish I will look like her at her age... I like her scarf :)

http://fashion-colorhater.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:35 PM) : 

Such a classic beauty. I hope I have this much sparkle in my golden years.
Katherine McConnell Clothing

 

Blogger Henri said ... (5:38 PM) : 

I like the polka-dot scarf.

http://henrineuendorf.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:44 PM) : 

And this woman wears a faliero sarti scarf...really very elegant!

 

Blogger kelly stern said ... (5:47 PM) : 

i love looking at the faces of older women and imagining what their face looked like when they were younger - some faces are easier to tell than others, hers you can just imagine the chic life she led as a young girl, and still does today

 

Blogger Karolina said ... (5:50 PM) : 

Amazing.

 

Anonymous Ellie said ... (6:27 PM) : 

Love it! She hasn't lost that sparkle indeed.

 

Blogger Nádia said ... (6:35 PM) : 

Gosh, such an amazing woman! <3 So nice to see diversity in a world craving for newer and newer people... You only see teens right now! So, this is really FRESH!

http://myfashioninsider.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Melissa said ... (6:43 PM) : 

everyone needs a little sparkle in their life

http://lavie-amonavis.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Emily said ... (7:03 PM) : 

This is so lovely in so many ways!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:06 PM) : 

I love too much your sense of beauty, Mr Scott!

 

Blogger Maria Evans said ... (7:58 PM) : 

What a beautiful woman! She reminds me my grandma.

ME,

 

Blogger menina raposa said ... (8:25 PM) : 

it's an amazing picture... how lovely !

 

Blogger *sunday* said ... (8:25 PM) : 

you are probably the only street style blogger out there who posts photos like these and I absolutely love them. I find them inspirational.. My favourite one is "Mi Bruta" shot in Milano

 

Blogger Bianca said ... (8:25 PM) : 

she is my hero.


http://crumpetsandt.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Aimes said ... (8:46 PM) : 

I love it! I also love the fact that her eyelashes are curled as well.....

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:06 PM) : 

Lovely!

http://sedaemar.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous v said ... (9:19 PM) : 

LOVE them.
and here i worry that my love of sparkles, even now in my 30s, is somehow not age appropriate. they're so unexpected and i imagine gave her much joy as she rubbed them on.

 

Anonymous dodz said ... (9:29 PM) : 

I loved her salt & pepper hair. cool huh!

 

Blogger Poppy-Jane said ... (9:35 PM) : 

A romantic thought to think it intentional, but my instincts guide me to believe that this gorgeous lady makes toys, dolls or perhaps craft of somekind and the glitter/sparkles are lovingly placed by mistake.... Still a magical moment captured <3.

 

Blogger N AT A S H A said ... (9:55 PM) : 

You manage to catch beauty in the most unexpected places and this is why I love your work. x

 

Blogger Pam said ... (10:17 PM) : 

This lovely woman is also wearing a wonderful light pink/mauve lipstick. She reminds me of my mother - beautiful forever.

 

Anonymous rottenfish said ... (10:34 PM) : 

very much like the way you put it...always love your sense of beauty.

 

Anonymous BJB said ... (10:40 PM) : 

Why is a smudge of glitter on an earlobe chic or fashionable?

 

Blogger TheMinx said ... (10:50 PM) : 

I adore this. There is something very poignant about this shot, and the sparkles.

 

Anonymous Sarah said ... (11:12 PM) : 

I would like to be like her when I grow up.

 

Blogger Nadine2point0 said ... (11:57 PM) : 

Beautiful close-up - in her younger years, her eyes would have sparkled even more!

 

Blogger SarahPeslar said ... (12:39 AM) : 

I see the sparkle you are crying to catch :)

http://fashionsmind.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Anna said ... (1:52 AM) : 

Wow, this is amazing. Your photos are inspiring, and capture the mood and tone of the person. I love how close up this picture is and that I can see the soft wrinkles of her face..

 

Blogger Fasshionxenophile said ... (2:37 AM) : 

She looks like THE most adorable grandma to me!!! :)
litlstrawberry.blogspot.com

 

Blogger *DIED* said ... (3:04 AM) : 

I am very inspired by your new style of shooting the pictures! And the subjects are going beyond the stylish girl with the it-bag.

I think true fashion is the real life with all its defects!

 

Blogger Shoelosophy said ... (3:43 AM) : 

What a sweet surprise. The subtlety and charm is so lovely.. and tres chic.

 

Anonymous Gasell said ... (4:02 AM) : 

Her facial expression makes this image look like a modern painting. She seems very interesting. The sparkle idea is so cool.

 

Blogger Aimée said ... (4:07 AM) : 

I'm impressed. I've never seen anything like that!She's also wearing mascara and the lovely scarf. I can understand the sparkle on the cheeks but...the earlobe? I wish I could know why she decided to do that...innovation? an old make-up trick from when she was young?

 

Blogger bird of light said ... (4:26 AM) : 

cute, I must say ;)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:46 AM) : 

she's the living proof that a woman can be beautyful, chic and lovely with a lined face and grey hair.
no botox, no lifting, no hair-dye for this lady.
and I think she's got more charm than all those plastic dolls in hollywood.

 

Blogger La Petite Monic said ... (5:12 AM) : 

I love this blog!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:29 AM) : 

The scarf is tied in an impressive fashion.

 

Blogger nyc/caribbean ragazza said ... (5:47 AM) : 

She is truly a beautiful woman.

I love that she has not Botoxed her life experience away.

 

Blogger No One said ... (6:22 AM) : 

I'm going to try this myself later !

 

Blogger diana says louder, please said ... (6:29 AM) : 

This is an incredibly beautiful photograph; the expression on her face is arresting, i truly can't stop staring, feeling like i'm being allowed a window to her life and feelings and thoughts. Thank you/

 

Blogger Graham Hutson said ... (6:44 AM) : 

I like the scarf.

www.openzedoor.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Anastasia said ... (7:46 AM) : 

definetely agree Sart - very chic indeed!! love the soft folds in her face as she's aged so gracefully...and I also love that she still has a hint of gloss and mascara on her face...beautiful natural shot!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:33 AM) : 

What a beautiful, beautiful lady...so gracious in her maturity and a great sense of fun with her sparkle! It brightened my day!!

 

Anonymous KatieA said ... (8:36 AM) : 

What a beautiful woman, you can see the soul in her eyes and the youth in her heart. She is just so real.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:45 AM) : 

It looks like this lady may have been playing with her grand-kids who were drawing and playing with glitter. She was helping them and accidentally put her hands on her cheek and her earlobe.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:47 AM) : 

She reminds me of my grandma who, at the age of 84, told me she regretted never getting that tattoo of a butterfly on her shoulder!

 

Blogger Patient x said ... (8:53 AM) : 

this woman is the embodiment of how to age gracefully. and i love her scarf.

http://randomnotesonrandomstuff.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Kathleen said ... (9:47 AM) : 

This is a beautiful portrait. I love to see older people featured, they have so much to offer us. Look at her lovely scarf and gentle face. And yes, the sparkle!

 

Blogger Las Lolicas de siempre said ... (10:02 AM) : 

I like so much your blog, and all the outfits from people!!!

XXX

http://laslolicasdesiempre.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Gerardo said ... (10:32 AM) : 

Me encanta la gente que tiene, esa gracia tan especial, que sobretodo lo da los años. Amo el estilo de las personas mayores.
divina!!!!!!!!!

 

Anonymous proletarian Great Gatsby said ... (10:37 AM) : 

Yes, she is chic and she proves that chic has no age.Discret charm.
Goldfinger...

 

Blogger Ambika said ... (10:38 AM) : 

I love this woman! I am vowing to be like her when I'm at her age! Sparkles - such a little thought but so effective! :-)

http://cupcakespleatsandeverythingsweet.blogspot.com

xoxo

 

Blogger Sophia L said ... (10:44 AM) : 

There's so much beauty in embracing your age but being young at heart. This shot is wonderful!

 

Blogger LE CALZATURE said ... (10:51 AM) : 

L'espressione di questo viso dice piu che mille parole... Bellissima foto.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:26 AM) : 

the sparkles are intentional .. they're not art and craft sparkles. they are sparkly moisturiser, can get them from bodyshop amongst other places.

that and the hint of mascara... not many commented on that ... her eyelashes just stand out ..

she must've been so gorgeous in her younger days. she still is now!

 

Blogger viejecita said ... (11:32 AM) : 

You've done it Again.

¡Another beautiful portrait of an older person!. You have a gift with people, who would normally have avoided cameras. One can see their self in your portraits ot them.
If Goya, or Rembrandt, were alive today, they would want to be you.

 

Blogger taryn said ... (11:41 AM) : 

Beautiful woman.
and a very strategically and well tied scarf!

Très Chic!

~taryn xx

 

Blogger pinky said ... (12:02 PM) : 

looks like she sporting mascara too.
Very cool.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:05 PM) : 

She doesn't look like she's enjoying getting her picture taken that close...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:26 PM) : 

When I grow up even more, I want to be just like her. My kindof grandma, so lovely.

 

Blogger Lou said ... (12:38 PM) : 

Not just chic, she's got an ageless, playful spirit and it shows on her face: the sparkle and the fun yet subtle makeup (eyebrows, lashes, gloss on lips), her eyes, the softness of her skin, her expressive mouth. She is a cool cat and I suspect she's actually an artist (or at least an artist of life). Thanks Scott, you do have a unique eye for beauty.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:52 PM) : 

Also is that silver thread on the edge of her scarf? She's beautiful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:59 PM) : 

I too love this photo, proving that a woman can still be attractive at any age. I do, however, cringe at all the comments about 'grandmas'. Why grandmas? I know, I know, the age gap.

 

Blogger may said ... (1:47 PM) : 

she is just perfect :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:52 PM) : 

This IS Italy!!!!!

 

Blogger veronika, tick tock vintage. said ... (1:53 PM) : 

gorgeous.

 

Blogger Beth Ruby said ... (2:20 PM) : 

Definitely going to take inspiration from this and put a bit of glitter on my own ears instead of earrings.
What a fabulous lady.

 

Blogger Fanya said ... (2:21 PM) : 

really? When I see the title the first thing I noticed was the sparkle on her teeth, unless it's my computer playing tricks on me.

 

Blogger Candice Tarnowski said ... (2:41 PM) : 

For me this is the most beautiful image I've ever seen on your blog. And I'm smitten with many of them.
Thank you.
More please.
ct

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:04 PM) : 

This lady is class

http://bulbizar.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:07 PM) : 

The glimpse of her gold tooth matches the sparkle on her cheeks and earlobes.

 

Blogger Prutha Raithatha said ... (3:07 PM) : 

sooo cute!!

http://donotshoeme.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Madame en noire said ... (3:11 PM) : 

Love that lady!

www.lipsandpoppies.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous klara said ... (3:27 PM) : 

so lovely picture this one... i´m just wondering - was she italian?

 

Blogger the nickel fit said ... (3:29 PM) : 

great shot.

 

Blogger Yoli said ... (4:21 PM) : 

Very intimate, very touching.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:51 PM) : 

I noticed the smudge on the ear first..

 

Blogger kathrynnova said ... (4:52 PM) : 

with all the hair-dye in the world and our obsession with youth (which is as old as the hills) i seldom see anyone with salt and pepper hair. i don't think it looks bad - quite the contrary, when worn well it looks amazing!!! and those who pass on the dye are the real mavericks.

when i get old i want to wear my silver hair with confidence - it will be fantastic!

worldrunway.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Emma said ... (5:02 PM) : 

I didn't even notice the sparkle on her cheeks until you mentioned it. Reading further, you pointed out the sparkle on the lady's earlobe - again, I hadn't noticed it. Subtlety is chic. What an inspiring picture.

 

Anonymous Andrée said ... (5:28 PM) : 

Are you sure she made it on purpose ?
Anyway, that's cute on her, i remember my grandma doing things like that

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:36 PM) : 

I am getting near her age, and i have accepted aging as it comes. wonderful freedom in that. like this beautiful aristocratic lady, I enjoy spending time putting my outfit together. i always try to add just a dab of sparkle to my classic approach (although i never thought to do it literally) such fun. lovely women such as she are my models.

i was wondering if she had first applied the sparkle to her fingers to apply to her checks and then in the decision to wear earings or not, a little fairy dust was inadvertantly left for all to enjoy...be inspired by..on her earlobe? Just lovely

Scott, this is amongst your very, very best. so moving. Thank you and Keep 'em coming!

 

Blogger Maritime Locust said ... (5:42 PM) : 

She looks like she has a fantastic life story to tell..

maritimelocust.com

 

Anonymous PHOTOWSKI said ... (5:58 PM) : 

she looks happy about her life.

-

http://photowski.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:45 PM) : 

Love this kind of photos!

 

Blogger  kotto said ... (6:47 PM) : 

I like ...

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:08 PM) : 

this is one of my favorites you've ever posted. she is too darling for words.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:11 PM) : 

..and the touch of sparkle of the gold tooth. LOVE the earlobe sparkle, even if it is accidental.

 

Blogger beths said ... (8:19 PM) : 

So much love and subtlety in this shot, so close to the face, and not necessarily the most conventionally flattering angle. The earlobe and eyelashes and chin tilt--divine!

 

Blogger brightlightsbigcity said ... (9:18 PM) : 

that's so awsome! i love the shot

http://watermelonfeet.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Studded Rose said ... (9:36 PM) : 

ohh that is just so gorgeous. Im glad my nan is just as stylish x

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:42 PM) : 

She's beautiful.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:27 PM) : 

still stylin'!

http://www.buttonsandbowsla.com/

 

Blogger MM said ... (1:43 AM) : 

Love the sparkle of her gold tooth, too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:25 AM) : 

okay here goes! hope what the following i say/write makes sense cos it 2.20 in the morning and i have a few jars on me but as usual I have to check in with the sart.
This 'foto is dope. It is hands down my new fave and the other one that was a fave before it was on the cover of Sart's book was the Julia one. hope you get my gist and don't edit the sincere and earnest and just a tad bit merry.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:25 AM) : 

When we were kids we'd play "beauty parlor" with my Babcia... we'd put lotion & powder on her face, braid her hair, and generally fuss over her. I can picture this woman doing the same with her grandchildren--and being perfectly happy to wear the result out in public.

In the end, no matter who added the fairy dust, she looks great!

 

Anonymous Jacqueline said ... (4:27 AM) : 

Besides the sparkle I don't think I have ever seen an elderly Lady with mascara... gives her such a bright and young touch!


http://mannequindevitrine.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:18 AM) : 

true elegance.

 

Blogger davidikus said ... (9:49 AM) : 

Are the sparkle very Milanese? I thought skying glasses and furs were for a lady her age! Great look in any case, I definitely love that scarf. It would go well with one of my Molyneux ties (a.o remembers Molyneux?)

http://davidikus.blogspot.com
http://www.davidranc.com

 

Blogger SPEETway said ... (10:50 AM) : 

Italians do it better!!!

www.speetway.com
speetway.blogspot.com

 

Blogger cherry arceo said ... (10:52 AM) : 

I can only imagine how she was, back in the days when she was still young. The sparkle is just so chic, but I really love her eye lashes too!

 

Blogger Izzen said ... (10:56 AM) : 

Haha, very chic indeed!

http://izzenxoxo.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger V. said ... (11:23 AM) : 

I like the hint of sparkle of her gold tooth. ;)

 

Anonymous Allie said ... (11:42 AM) : 

She is beyond fabulous. Anyone with that kind of spirit at her age should be commended - and duly photographed :-)

 

Anonymous men's t-shirts said ... (3:05 PM) : 

More effortless style!

 

Blogger Nancy said ... (4:28 PM) : 

There is such an elegance in Milan! I am currently working on project photographing style elegance in the streets of Milan!

 

Blogger chiara mattarozzi said ... (4:59 PM) : 

Well, she is a beautiful lady! And Milan is just Milan, which - even to an Italian, non-Milanese like me - means elegance taken to the limit!!!

myvanityblog.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Mood de Luna said ... (1:27 AM) : 

A well dose of inspiration ! thank you to share it !! Wonderful woman

 

Blogger Caddy said ... (6:50 AM) : 

Love the unexpectedness of that sparkle!!

 

Anonymous Agraule said ... (9:44 AM) : 

A beautiful portrait of a beautiful woman. Sparkles on her cheek, earlobe, tooth, and in the hint of a sophisticated smile... I'd like to listen to her telling her story.

 

Blogger The Clever Pup said ... (1:34 PM) : 

This is very interesting. When I was 12 back in 1974 I was reading a Seventeen magazine article about girls at the Sorbonne. I will always remember the one girl with lots of scarves who added sparkle to Noxema and wore it on her cheekbones. Been hooked on Paris Street fashion ever since.

 

Anonymous pocito said ... (2:48 PM) : 

And look at the way she wears her scarf - is that a Milanese trick? I remember the guy in the film ... was it in March?

 

Blogger MlleV said ... (4:51 PM) : 

There's nothing like the visual surprise ... they rarely occur except here on your blog. She is lovely and stylish in so many ways ... even sans glitter.

 

Blogger Holly Brindley said ... (7:04 AM) : 

what a lovely whimsical lady :

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:15 AM) : 

Out here in Oregon are so many beautiful women who aren't dyeing their hair and there are amazing colors of silver, salt and pepper....come out and photograph...
Ashland is full of us : )

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:48 AM) : 

beutiful teeth!

 

Blogger regina wRites said ... (2:07 PM) : 

adore the feeling evoked from this moment. amazing shot.

 

Blogger mirae. said ... (6:36 PM) : 

As chic as she could get. But I think she also gets some credit for her styling of the polka-dotted scarf! *

 

Blogger xC-Ax said ... (1:29 PM) : 

nothing like a glitter granny is there?

 

Blogger Zbarsky said ... (5:23 AM) : 

this is so precious. images like these remind me why I am in love with photography

 

Blogger Jessica @ Jessiker Bakes said ... (8:38 PM) : 

haha she's soo cool

 

Anonymous Helvia said ... (7:59 PM) : 

A truly italiana! :) Her naturally sparkling eyes, her skin, her scarf and her golden tooth ;)

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting