This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Degand, Brussels

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Degand, Brussels

Easily one of the best men's shops I have been to in a long time. The hats, the canes, the shoes, the pajamas, this is a shop where a man goes to become a gentleman.

Housed in a 5 floor 1911 townhouse on the edge of the main shopping district in Brussels, this is not a shop that a tourist would easily fall into, but it's worth the hunt for any true Sartorialist.

Brioni and Kiton are the shop's main clothing labels, but I would go for their special edit of Edward Green shoes. In fact, they will be opening an entire separate shoe shop in September if everything goes according to plan.

One of the elements of Degand's selection that I was most surprised by was the extent of the formalwear that they offer. I think that says a lot about how the residents of Brussels have retained a sense of Old World elegance and respect for certain public events like weddings, operas and funerals.

Thanks to my good friend Gianpaolo of Al Bazar for tipping me off about this great shop.

Degand is located at 415 Avenue Louise, Brussels



Comments on "Degand, Brussels"

 

Anonymous Tobi said ... (6:36 PM) : 

The decor is so inviting if only all shops looked as quintessential as this!

http://stylebyqueens.wordpress.com/

 

Anonymous Julian said ... (6:37 PM) : 

WOW!!!
next level merchandising, bravo!

 

Blogger Henri said ... (6:37 PM) : 

this looks awesome, beautiful photos, I really like the hats, and the canes.

http://henrineuendorf.com/

 

Blogger Talei said ... (6:45 PM) : 

Oh my...what a beautiful store!! I want to go there now. ;)

 

Blogger nicole said ... (6:47 PM) : 

what an elegant shop!

 

Anonymous Masha said ... (6:58 PM) : 

God, it looks so...delicious... I just want to reach in and touch it! The shoes, the canes, the wooden shelves... oohhhh.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:59 PM) : 

very chic and elegante =)

 

Blogger Davian said ... (7:01 PM) : 

gorgeous! those walking sticks almost make one wish for a limp.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:04 PM) : 

I love shops like this. I remember being in Bologna once and finding a sweater shop like this, all the sweaters on shelves behind the counter, organized by weight and colour, and costing the earth. What a wonderful experience though.

 

Blogger emthepirate said ... (7:09 PM) : 

ahh thank you. once again you have delighted me and brought aesthetic wonderment to my otherwise dull day.
if only all retail stores would realise the potential of looking so charming.

 

Blogger Luciana said ... (7:27 PM) : 

EU AMO O BLOG... E VISITO TODOS OS DIAS!!! É MINHA FONTE DE INSPIRAÇAO!!!
LUCIANA

 

Anonymous Patrick said ... (7:29 PM) : 

I agree with the comment above that said "delicious". I am salivating looking at these pictures. Is it wrong to travel all the way to Brussels just to visit a store? They have amazing frites too, yes?

 

Blogger STREETFSN said ... (7:34 PM) : 

can I also be a gentleman if I shop there?! lovely :D

http://streetfsn.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Ale.Sanmed said ... (7:38 PM) : 

wow i love the pics!!
your blog is amazing!!
:)
xx

 

Blogger Sophia L said ... (7:48 PM) : 

Oh how nice! Where have the days when men were gentlemen gone? It's nice to know some people are still keeping it alive.

 

Blogger Elizabeth Stiletto said ... (7:49 PM) : 

Oh my god, I love.

 

Blogger Jeannine 520 said ... (7:53 PM) : 

What a gorgeous shop.

 

Blogger Romi said ... (7:57 PM) : 

It has such a welcoming appeal!! makes me want to go in and buy something just to feel enveloped inside its walls...And I'm not a man.

check my blog out at - http://wonderlandcloset.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger *sunday* said ... (8:29 PM) : 

oooh sometimes i wish i were a man

 

Blogger Divalocity said ... (8:36 PM) : 

Ahh...a shop essentially reserved for the 'bespoke' man of style. You make me really miss Europe when I see your photos.

 

Anonymous Public Mentor said ... (8:43 PM) : 

This definitely looks like an ideal place where a true "gentiluomo" can be in harmony with himself.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:51 PM) : 

hey scott, i was thrilled to know though a little dissappointed when i heard you would go to brussels, I lived one year in belgium and I really loved it, the thing I regret is that I wasn't that into fashion by the time I was there as I am now, so I didn't come across some shops such as this, its cool you have the chance to experience all this and be able to promote it this amazing and sartorialist way.
sofia
mexico
hope you can experience this in Mexico

 

Blogger FASHION SNAG said ... (8:51 PM) : 

This shop looks fantastic! x

www.FashionSnag.com

 

Anonymous CK Dexter Haven said ... (8:57 PM) : 

"...this is a shop where a man goes to become a gentlemen."

Seems to suggest one can BUY 'gentlemanship.' I disagree. More likely, this is the kind of shop in which a gentleman might 'find himself.'

 

Blogger Leslee said ... (8:57 PM) : 

That would definitely be a man's dream closet.

 

Blogger SarahPeslar said ... (8:59 PM) : 

all clothing store should be set up just like this,
maybe we will all become a little more stylish ! :)

http://fashionsmind.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:06 PM) : 

It's as if I can smell and feel the texture of this shop through the photos.

 

Blogger andrea.at.the.blue.door said ... (9:14 PM) : 

Language contributes a lot: "chemisier" just sounds much more interesting/romantic than "shirtmaker"

 

Blogger Sara Szatmary said ... (9:22 PM) : 

Perfectly edited pieces (that were perfectly shot). Thanks for sharing!

 

Anonymous Alex said ... (9:29 PM) : 

Nice looking shop, but there's nowhere a man can go to purchase his status as a gentleman.

 

Blogger Hal E. Liebling said ... (9:34 PM) : 

I love the decor .. the shot with the canes is so incredible. Thanks for sharing!

HALCOHOLIC.com

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:37 PM) : 

that is just beautiful!

 

Blogger Lisa Petrarca said ... (9:53 PM) : 

The merchandise set up is beautiful. It gives you a feeling of stepping into your own closet.

Well if you were rich!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:02 PM) : 

i LOVE that black and white photo of the shoes!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:04 PM) : 

What a wonderful haberdashery!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:06 PM) : 

Oh god. It's the kind of shop my grandfather frequented (he of the impeccable 3-piece suits into his 90s, and my personal hero).

I want one of those hats.

 

Blogger kathrynnova said ... (10:10 PM) : 

i do hope they cater to women as well, because these are clothes i find i could live in forever, too.

what a lovely shop - bringing past and future together.

keeping the address for the next time i'm in brussels and am feeling a bit george sand-ish. (thank you!!!!)

worldrunway.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Philippa said ... (10:12 PM) : 

This place is to die for, so elegant. Amazing photos

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:18 PM) : 

It actually looks like a relaxing inviting place to shop. I don't think I would feel overwhelmed in that shop at all.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:24 PM) : 

Yes...elegant, sophisticated, smart...!

You have phrased it perfectly "...a shop where a man goes to become a gentleman."

Additionally appealing is the simple, unobtrusive signage, which itself is brilliant and a great iteration of "Ye Olde.." signs of the past.

 

Blogger L.L said ... (10:25 PM) : 

I wish more stores were this enchanting. I wouldn't want to leave it. Did you make many purchases S.S??

 

Blogger Laguna Beach Fogey said ... (10:59 PM) : 

Splendid photos, Sart! Every chap's shop should have a chandelier.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:04 PM) : 

This picture reminded me of the old shops in my hometown in Brazil.Last time I went there to visit my family, one of the shops was closed for good, but it had all the inventory inside. I starred at the window for a long time, and it reminded me of when I was little and my dad had his clothes tailored there.Saudades...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:04 PM) : 

Brussels is hosting a multitude of European Union institutions and bureaucrats and numerous official events. That probably explains the abundance of formal wear.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:43 PM) : 

Hi,

Lovely shoes! What was their price range?

Thanks

 

Blogger Contact said ... (12:07 AM) : 

Wow! So elegant!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:12 AM) : 

Brava! for showing that life in our ever-changing, contemporary, western world is still enhanced by our appreciation of qualities in materials and workmanship, and yes, of the respect for celebration of our life's events. LB x x

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:12 AM) : 

It's like a dream.

 

Blogger Styeloverz said ... (1:33 AM) : 

Thank you for sharing!! What a precious information for all the men out there...just like you said: here is it possible for a man become a gentlemen! Nice!

The feel is what you receive when you share - Silvana Leatemia

 

Anonymous Abigail said ... (2:28 AM) : 

If only the world were full of more sharply dressed gentlemen. They are alas a dying breed it is sadly rare that a baggy jeaned pant exposing chap with hunched shoulders would think to even so much as stop to hold the door open for me in this day and age.

 

Blogger Divali said ... (3:24 AM) : 

This is my heaven!

 

Blogger Melissa Z. said ... (3:41 AM) : 

My fav is the fourth pic! Love hats!

www.abitoffashion.com

 

Anonymous Yanes Alicante said ... (3:45 AM) : 

Chic, élégant et chaleureux.
http://myjewelsandmore.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:49 AM) : 

The wardrobe is not what makes a man a gentleman, I'm afraid.

 

Blogger Dorian Gray said ... (4:46 AM) : 

I want to move in there...

styleodernichtstyle.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:53 AM) : 

The shop - the men who must go there. MMM lovely.
Liliane

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:54 AM) : 

I love the store, it is perfect for the perfect gentelman. I used to live in brussels and I never knew about this amazing place.

 

Blogger the nyanzi report said ... (5:42 AM) : 

Now that's what i call a real gentleman's shop.
We got similar shpos in London's Jermyn Street.

 

Blogger Eilish said ... (5:42 AM) : 

Wonderful Pictures. I love the last 3 :)


http://faialofa.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger sd-odessa said ... (5:50 AM) : 

First impression. Wow!

 

Blogger TheStreetFashion5xpro said ... (5:59 AM) : 

very elegant shop

 

Blogger davidikus said ... (6:16 AM) : 

I used to live round the corner. One of the greatest shop in Brussels. It really reminds me of Old England in Paris and a few of the shops that have sadly disappeared in St James's (London). It reminds me of Charvet too, for some reason, though the quality at Charvet is far higher!

http://davidikus.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Susie said ... (6:40 AM) : 

Certainly from the exterior I probably would have passed it by. Who would know that inside is such a polished and gracious shopping experience.

To a previous poster: You do not need a limp to use a cane. These in the photo are so gorgeous, they add a finishing touch to a certain type of individual. I love the colorful rug and the beautiful diagonal wood floor (and that chandelier, to die for).

The fixtures in the store are as refined as the clothing. What a treasure!

 

Anonymous Liv said ... (6:58 AM) : 

Sometimes I wish I was a man, just for the fashion...

 

Blogger Bell said ... (7:14 AM) : 

I will take note of this wonderful shop, visit her on my next trip to Brussels

 

Anonymous The Red Velvet Shoe said ... (7:28 AM) : 

I think I've died and gone to a far more well~dressed place than earth... I wouldn't change one tiny thing about this magnificent shop.
Thank you from my pitter pattering heart for sharing this amazing photo collection.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:30 AM) : 

Total class!!!!

 

Anonymous Des Esseintes said ... (7:53 AM) : 

Dear Sartorialist

having moved from Lodnon to Brussels a few years ago (for my sins, as they say), I can attest to the fact that Degand is indeed one of the very few highlights of gentlemens' outfitters in this city - Rose & Van Geluwe is probably the other noteworthy institution.

Brussels, or Belgium, is still a very bourgeois society, often reminding of Britain or Germany in the 1960s, with all the attached advantages and disadvantages of such a "back in the old days" feel. Many Belgian men, at least those of a certain social standing, dress rather conservatively yet quite elegantly, comoared to say the UK or Germany - the French version of the clichee English squire look is quite common here ("le look Anglais").

The fact that you noted an abundance of formal, or semi-formal, dress in Degand is though indeed primarily a result of Brussels being the, in effect and, I believe, now pretty much officially, the capital of the European Union, with all the ceremony, state receptions and official dinners coming with such a status.

Now, Frankfurt was an altogether different experience again, I am sure...

dE

 

Anonymous Joanna Roman said ... (7:53 AM) : 

Wonderful, a must to stay alive in a world of cyber reality...
Very rare... rarer and rarer nowadays :( I am crossing fingers for prosperous future of "Degand" and hope that these photos on your blog will help, too :)

 

Anonymous Diamondvirgin.com said ... (8:12 AM) : 

Lovely,

I was not familiar with this shop. Thanks for sharing!

 

Blogger Closet full of hopes and dreams said ... (8:40 AM) : 

My grandfather and dad would love this shop! As a matter of fact, so do I!

 

Anonymous proletarian Great Gatsby said ... (10:42 AM) : 

Beautiful pictures that connect your work with classical photographers from the last century(Brassai,Cartier Bresson,...)
Ceçi n'est pas le XXéme siecle but you show us that a man can be a gentleman in our days too.Thank you.

 

Blogger blackcarno said ... (11:05 AM) : 

What a delightful place. Yet I cannot help thinking that it takes more than canes and pajamas for a man to become a gentleman.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:06 AM) : 

Food for the eyes! Opulant!

 

Blogger Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said ... (11:09 AM) : 

The boutique looks like a museum, definately worth a visit even if you're not on a shopping trip. Thanks for sharing, the pictures are gorgeous!

 

Blogger vicki archer said ... (12:13 PM) : 

A heavenly male enclave.....xv

 

Blogger Madame en noire said ... (12:16 PM) : 

Great pics!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:39 PM) : 

wow....stunning and elegant!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:43 PM) : 

Like a shop from another era! I love it. So organized and filled with beauty. The shop (building) is incredible too. Thanks for letting me see it :)

 

Anonymous grizzlesnort said ... (12:53 PM) : 

Ah..I love this. It reminds me of the early years of the Sartorialist. There were many more postings like this. More photos of men. More photos of extraordinary people off the street. Fewer photos of fashion insiders. I miss all that.

 

Blogger Bonito said ... (12:59 PM) : 

Lovely!! If you have your way past Palma (Mallorca, Spain) come and visit us.

hug
Linea

 

Anonymous AnonymousJK said ... (2:00 PM) : 

For a brief moment I wanted to be a man simply for the enjoyment of it all! This is what I call eye candy ;)

 

Anonymous Christian said ... (2:07 PM) : 

Kiton... what else? :)

How can you find a shop like this in Brussels? Scott, you are magic!

Please come to Luxembourg!

:)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:26 PM) : 

You have found heaven!

 

Blogger Maru said ... (3:13 PM) : 

first pic: looks like Gatsby's closet

 

Anonymous alabdin said ... (3:27 PM) : 

Looks like a sartorialist's haven!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:27 PM) : 

when i grow up, i will open a store like this for ladies. tailored blouses in various fabrics and styles that require cuff-links!; pajamas; monogrammed scarves! it would be sophisticated! it would be clean! and the tailors would all be studly europeans! wouldn't it be lovely?

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:48 PM) : 

Incredible! Please tell me you did indeed shop?

 

Anonymous Sandra : Vintage Cove said ... (4:40 PM) : 

What an amazing place. It just goes to show what a difference a little effort can make. You can't help but feel special in a shop like that.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:49 PM) : 

If you have the time you may want to go to the 'Rue Dansaert' (Dansaert Straat) - the stores there are amazingly beautiful. You will also find the original 'Pain Quotidien' there.

 

Blogger rebekah said ... (5:09 PM) : 

Wow, this is FABULOUS. It looks like a French castle!

http://stripedandspotted.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Ana Magnolia said ... (5:11 PM) : 

Nice shop!

 

Blogger v. Braun. said ... (6:30 PM) : 

That looks incredible, very nice pics; I'll have to stop by sometime...(this is a great blog, here, btw), best wishes, Han.

 

Blogger brightlightsbigcity said ... (6:54 PM) : 

So beautiful, like the dream walk-in closet of the gentleman except everything is for sale!
http://watermelonfeet.blogspot.com

 

Blogger AtomikBomb said ... (7:21 PM) : 

Very pretty store, indeed! I would definitely buy myself some man accessories there, like one of those gorgeous hats!

 

Blogger Ripped Jeans said ... (7:59 PM) : 

what a stunning place!! i would love to be there

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:23 PM) : 

LOVE the picture of hats. your photography is stunning.



http://pieinmypants.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous HW90 said ... (10:48 PM) : 

You've got to be kidding me! European mens shops make Rodeo Drive look like a strip mall. Degand is on the list!

 

Blogger Stephanie said ... (10:50 PM) : 

I love the clean chic look to the beautiful place!

Kisses,
Stephanie

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:01 AM) : 

For some reason, most shops (if not all) do not allow photography. Just HOW did you get away with this??

Lovely pictures, by the way. :)

 

Blogger the coolbirth kid said ... (1:41 AM) : 

what a terrific store.
i love the canes,
very beau jest.

 

Blogger Blindcopy said ... (2:03 AM) : 

this is grandeur! :)

 

Blogger Amica said ... (2:09 AM) : 

warm and elegant atmosphere:D
Nice!!

 

Anonymous ada said ... (2:11 AM) : 

this... rather makes me wish I were a gent :) thanks for sharing.

 

Anonymous Marcela said ... (6:09 AM) : 

Amazing. I loved the shopping in Brussels, such great vintage and antiques shops.

http://ledazzler.wordpress.com

 

Blogger Mon Cheri said ... (6:50 AM) : 

I was thinking the same thing as the comment above...
how did you get away with shooting this shop, it does not appear like the kind of place that would welcome camera flashes!
nonetheless
this is amazing !! I am not a man ahha but I could spend hours in this shop! Reminds me of 'Frank Sinata' type of style...yummmm

http://moncheri2311.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous http://handbagsstores.info/ said ... (7:17 AM) : 

If only every person in the world would follow all the rules that you gave... I think that everyone should come and visit your website
Buy online Handbags

 

Blogger Menina said ... (8:58 AM) : 

So beautiful! I can imagine a really heady smell in there, even though I be it smelt fresh and light.

 

Blogger Dominica said ... (9:15 AM) : 

So sad that I found out too late you were paying us a visit here ... would have been great to get your autograph in your/my book.
Oh well, maybe another opportunity comes along ..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:30 AM) : 

How gorgeous are these photographs....thank you....L

 

Anonymous KatyE said ... (9:37 AM) : 

I could have an orgasmic experience walking into a shop like this! Just beautiful!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:05 AM) : 

Love gentlemen stores like this! there is a good one I know in Canne, where my husband everyear buys a couple of pieces for the summer.

www.theionfashion.com

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:05 AM) : 

oh my! what about all those hats? incredible!

 

Blogger the coolbirth kid said ... (12:05 PM) : 

reminiscent of robert de montesquiou.

 

Blogger Kathleen said ... (1:20 PM) : 

The jackets and other clothing hanging in order of their hue on the rainbow make me think of Daisy when she see all the shirts in Gatsby's wardrobe and starts throwing them in the air and touching them as if they were precious jewels. This store is a precious jewel. Lovely photographs Scott!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:12 PM) : 

The inside of that shop is irresitably nice and thanks for giving me a look as I live on the other side of the world and will never ever get there for myself. Plus if I were there they would know I was a tourist and not a consumer.

The internet allows for plenty of voyeurism and gazing into a mens stores in Brussels does it for me!

 

Blogger anthony said ... (2:16 AM) : 

Exquisite.

 

Blogger Nina Bonita said ... (4:22 PM) : 

There is such a calming aura on this store. Just like when I come into a shoe / clothes shop, it's an "awwwww" moment just waiting to happen.

 

Blogger Dawn said ... (9:16 PM) : 

The chandelier is amazing!

 

Blogger Siblings said ... (9:42 AM) : 

WOW~ the place looks amazing! i always love how your photos turn out.

 

Anonymous Duke E said ... (10:53 AM) : 

Do you think they would mind if I just moved in?

 

Blogger Tea Joeli said ... (4:38 PM) : 

Organized wardrobes are my weakness

http://thebrunetteworld.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger inclassy said ... (9:37 AM) : 

wanna visit this shop)

 

Blogger Beverly. said ... (4:05 PM) : 

I'd be in heaven in this store, too. And I'm a 23-year-old chick.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:27 AM) : 

Oh, and the fur throw behind the canes! I hadn't noticed that at first!

Manolo Blahniks have there place, but I wish there were a store where women could buy beautiful shoes like these.

 

Blogger Christina said ... (9:52 AM) : 

This store looks and sounds amazing. This space would be my husband's version of heaven.

fridayswithcilantro.blogspot.com

 

Blogger bien venido a mi sitio web said ... (7:15 PM) : 

I would be very surprised if this were a chain store...this store seems to so much reflect an owner's loving sensibility.

 

Blogger Splenderosa said ... (12:30 AM) : 

And ohhh, those leather cases on the floor. This is perfection.

 

Anonymous Ingrid RJ said ... (4:29 PM) : 

Elegante armoire à chapeaux...

 

Anonymous i love my shoes said ... (4:41 PM) : 

What fantastic photography....simply amazing

 

Blogger Zbarsky said ... (5:03 AM) : 

this image is wonderful! Im really into photographing shoes and feet lately and this photo makes me soo happy! I love how the pair of shoes near the bottom of the picture are positioned differently. It makes the picture exceptional

 

Anonymous brusselsprout said ... (10:47 AM) : 

In the 2nd picture you can see the belgian royal coat of arms on a plaque.
this means the King shops there,
or more precisely, Degand provides suits for the belgian royal family.
If it's good for the King, it's certainly good for us!

 

Blogger BasicbutChic said ... (1:35 PM) : 

Are we at Heaven there : leather, hats and shoes .............

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting