This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Wrist Management

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Friday, April 16, 2010

Wrist Management

Why are cufflinks so hard to find?

They are always so over-the-top!

Today's cufflinks often lack a sense of elegance. It’s as if they need to justify their price by shouting, "We're here!". Someone once said, "If you notice a man's cufflinks, then they are too loud".

That's why I was so happy, when I stumbled upon a great collection of cufflinks at LEO Design, in the West Village. I have been patronizing the store for years, but I never noticed the array of cufflinks. Basically, all pieces are vintage and priced very reasonably (not inexpensive- but appropriate for their quality and vintage).

The buyer is passionate about his selection and can share dates and design details.

Check them out here:
LEO Design
413 Bleecker St., New York, NY 10014
nr. 11th St.
212-929-8466

Comments on "Wrist Management"

 

Blogger Judith Ross said ... (10:12 AM) : 

Cufflinks. I remember them well on my dad's shirtcuffs. Later, both my sons wore them on them with their tuxedos -- a required item of clothing for any young male musician. Nostalgia!

 

Blogger Olga said ... (10:14 AM) : 

Oh my, I should have read this post before tweeting back at you re: cufflinks. I agree--if you notice a man's cufflinks, they are too loud. Still, they're an accessory that I admire (and am slightly jealous of as I cannot wear them as a woman. :)

 

Blogger FASHION SNAG said ... (10:19 AM) : 

Wow, that collections looks beautiful!

www.FashionSnag.com

 

Anonymous Chief Fashion Officer said ... (10:21 AM) : 

Love all the cuffs!

 

Anonymous The Red Velvet Shoe said ... (10:27 AM) : 

What a wonderful collection. I have my grandfather's (thus, c1940s) and have worn them with a french~cuff shirt...I think they are a great accessory for both the gents & the ladies! Will add this shop to my NY List.

Michelle

 

Anonymous proletarian Great Gatsby said ... (10:30 AM) : 

Most of my shirts have not buttonholes for cufflinks.That is because my cufflinks are more time sleeping in a box than flirting with my shirts.C'est dommage!

 

Blogger Miss Nutmeg said ... (10:33 AM) : 

that photo is great :)
http://www.thepaisleypeacock.net/

 

Blogger Belle de Ville said ... (10:35 AM) : 

Oh come on Sart, there are lot's of classy vintage cufflinks at Beladora.com and yes...there are some not so discreet ones too.

 

Blogger carolina @ patagonia gifts said ... (10:37 AM) : 

oh I adore cufflinks. delicate and fine. not loud. glamorous detail on a man. :)

 

Anonymous Jen, Sydney said ... (10:37 AM) : 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQAR-nx4w88 this totally made me think of you straight away! I'm sure you know it, but it made me smile!

 

Blogger mariel said ... (10:45 AM) : 

very nice! do they have an online store? all the way here in chicago but wanted to purchase some nice cufflinks for my fiance for when we get married next year. :)

 

Anonymous Lisette said ... (10:49 AM) : 

@ Olga: why, in your opinion, can't a woman wear cufflinks? Who decides that?

I love cufflinks, and have a tiny collection of my own. They are such a subtle item of jewellery (when not shouting for attention, of course) on any smartly dressed man, and - in my opinion - on a woman a delightful surprise when worn with savvy.

Scott the selection on the tray you short is gorgeous! Wished I live in NY to be able to add to my collection from it!

 

Blogger kaye said ... (11:14 AM) : 

they're pretty cufflinks!


www.saturdaystylebykaye.blogspot.com
www.saturdaystylebykaye.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Bell said ... (11:17 AM) : 

wow. Is wonderful place for me, I like too.
I live in spain now imposible to go at NYC

 

Blogger TheStreetFashion5xpro said ... (11:21 AM) : 

turning the street you can find everything

 

Blogger Blanca said ... (11:23 AM) : 

What a great collection!
I love most of the cuffs, great job.

xxx

www.artcrashblog.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:51 AM) : 

So cool !

http://bulbizar.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Strapped Glass said ... (11:55 AM) : 

I am an avid cufflink artist and user!

My glass business was originally based around glass belt buckles but my line of cufflinks has taken off in NYC and all over the east.

Mine are I fear, a little on the louder side, but many of them can be subtle as well.

I would love any feedback that you or any of your readers have!

John
owner and artist
www.strappedbelts.com

 

Blogger MER said ... (12:00 PM) : 

Wow, that collections looks maravillosa!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:02 PM) : 

As a man that wears cufflinks everyday, I must defend “noticeable cufflinks”. The need for expression and variety are typically the main reasons for wearing, what I refer to as “statement pieces”. All of my pieces hold meaning and can be classified as timeless. The all hold a cretain romance to them, even if they are slightly noticeable. For example, the first present I ever received from my girlfriend or the partially worn/broken set I found at a flea market in Rome…the list goes on. The one rule for cufflinks should be, only wear cufflinks that have significance.

 

Blogger MlleV said ... (12:08 PM) : 

Agree with Lisette - who says women can't wear cufflinks?!

 

Anonymous restaurant refugee said ... (12:13 PM) : 

I have been collecting cufflinks for nearly twenty years. I don't own a single dress shirt that has barrel cuffs (commonly known as button but I greatly prefer the former term,) and I am guilty of the sin of "too loud" cufflinks on a nearly daily basis.

I would argue that during the era in which all gentleman wore cufflinks in order to be properly dressed, calling too much attention to one's wrist was inappropriate. Given that I am already calling attention simply by wearing a french-cuff shirt at a time when, sadly, they are not worn often, I have no problem wearing the accessory that can be spotted from a distance.

... and I will definitely be hitting that shop on my next trip to NYC

 

Blogger S Laurence said ... (12:32 PM) : 

This tray is GORGEOUS! We stuggle to find my husband tasteful cufflinks. love some of the more understated Paul Smith and Burberry ones.

 

Blogger Lisa Petrarca said ... (12:33 PM) : 

The kids nowadays don't even know what cufflinks are. My son rented a tuxedo for a dance & received some in a baggy. He looked at them & said, "What the heck are these?" LOL!

 

Anonymous B Small said ... (1:07 PM) : 

Scott: which camp of the great cufflink debate do you subscribe to? Do both sides of the link have to match or is single sided acceptable? In the photo most appear to be double sided. When I bought my first tailored shirt from Russell’s of Montreal many years ago he insisted that only double links were acceptable; so when I wear cufflinks they are always double sided.

 

Blogger Allen Crawford said ... (1:14 PM) : 

Taste is fine and well, but style is more fun. I have discreet antique cuff links, but I also cherish my pair of cufflinks that house tiny undersea tableaus featuring dried sea horses.

 

Blogger CW said ... (1:51 PM) : 

I have some similar pieces. However, one of my favorites has gone missing - working watch cufflinks.

 

Anonymous men's t-shirts said ... (2:05 PM) : 

What a collection!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:15 PM) : 

This post looks too much like and infomertial...

 

Blogger Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said ... (2:19 PM) : 

That's a good cufflinks saying... I believe it's really true

 

Blogger vanillacardamom said ... (2:22 PM) : 

i do indeed appreciate a sophisticated and understated pair of cufflinks

however, i make an exception only for don draper's incredible knight head cufflinks from madmen season 1!
i want them for myself!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:36 PM) : 

I love cufflinks and have inherited some amazing sets including tie clips and pins from my father and grandfathers - mother of pearl, sapphire., lions heads. To wear them I have removed buttons from blouse cuffs and make button holes..

 

Anonymous Christopher Gloria said ... (2:55 PM) : 

I couldn't agree more, there is nothing more tacky than loud cufflinks. All of my shirts are french cuffs and I just keep two buttons held with thread in them that my shirtmaker gives me. When you're wearing French cuffs you don't want any more unwanted attention than you already provide your wrists.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:02 PM) : 

Archangel Antiques in the East Village also have a fantastic collection.

334 E 9th St Frnt
New York, NY 10003
(212) 260-9313

 

Blogger Steve Schnier said ... (3:18 PM) : 

I've been making my own cufflinks for the past few years. Some are made from old typewriter keys, others are adapted from antique gaming pieces. They're quite distintive without being overly loud.

 

Anonymous princess_of_mars said ... (3:34 PM) : 

I agree with the defenders of loud cufflinks, above. Dried seahorses suspended in an undersea tableau? Sign me up! My husband has a pair of blue glass cufflinks with a reverse-carved image of the Arc de Triomphe, and they are giant honkers! But they're gorgeous, and he can really carry them off. It all depends on the shirt, the jacket, the occasion, the guy (or girl).

Of course, discreet cufflinks are lovely, too.

 

Anonymous Patrick said ... (3:50 PM) : 

In my humble opinion, I believe that loud and boisterous cufflinks can be worn to great effect by some people; and I really think it comes down to the situation they're in and the type of personality they possess, both mentally and in their outward expression of style and mannerisms.

I would suppose the key test would be: are you wearing the cufflinks, or are they wearing you? If they draw attention away from you, then that isn't helping anyone; but if it blends in with a particularly loud outfit and extraverted personality, everything will seem natural, and therefore visually pleasing.

In regards to the situation, the selection of either bold or subtle cufflinks would probably be undertaken in the same way a women would choose her earnings. One would probably select a more subtle and timeless design, of both cufflinks or earnings, the more formal the environment becomes; and then of course in a more relaxed environment one could adopt more personality stamped outfits and accessories.

There's my two cents; which judging by the world's economies, may not be worth much, but there it is regardless.

All the best,
Regards,
Patrick

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:31 PM) : 

I still have several pair that once belonged to my father. My favorites, however, are the pair he purchased for me while he was in Italy several years ago. Beautiful white gold ovals, with a slight undulation that created a wave effect. Classy.

 

Blogger Amber said ... (4:52 PM) : 

For those looking to visit LEO in the future, you should know it's moving around the corner to Hudson St. just South of Perry in August (I think).

It's a great shop that primarily specializes in arts & crafts era furniture and accessories.

 

Anonymous Shantala said ... (6:22 PM) : 

Isn't LEO Design fantastic!?!?!? They always have the best stuff.

I'm excited to see their new, larger location on Hudson Street. (just noticed the bags in the old window of Doodle Doos this afternoon)

So glad you featured them.
@NYClifestyle

 

Blogger Erika said ... (6:56 PM) : 

I found a great small sized YSL shirt that needed cufflinks and I scored a great Sterling pair for nothing. I love cufflinks.
As a woman I think they are great.
I do agree however they can be hard to find.

 

Blogger Lisa Witmer Collection said ... (7:56 PM) : 

I love vintage cuff links! They have endless styles and are so classic.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/LisaWitmerCollection

 

Blogger My So Called Life said ... (8:03 PM) : 

o my goodness i love cufflinks, but i've never seen them in an actual store though or that many eathier

www.emidoodlesfashion.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous cociolph said ... (1:55 AM) : 

I like understated cufflinks too, but what's wrong with going with something a little crazy sometimes? Is that any different than wearing a scarf or tie that pops out at you and makes the outfit sing? Too many people lecture men on what they shouldn't wear.

 

Anonymous costume jewellery said ... (7:38 AM) : 

Cufflinks make all the difference. LEO have some great ones.

 

Anonymous David Laidlaw said ... (2:04 PM) : 

From:
ETIQUETTE
In Society, In Business, In Politics And At Home
By Emily Post
(New York: Funk & Wagnalls Company, 1922)

“Waistcoat buttons, studs and cuff links, worn in sets, is an American custom that is permissible. Both waistcoat buttons and cuff links may be jewelled and valuable, but they must not have big precious stones or be conspicuous.”

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

 

Blogger Beth Rock said ... (4:14 PM) : 

So Old and so beautiful in every which way. I love that we can dig and dig and find these little and amazing things and bring them back to life

 

Blogger Alice In Fashionland said ... (5:04 PM) : 

I love Vintage cufflinks! What a great collection.

 

Anonymous My Roman Apartment said ... (7:02 PM) : 

One of my favorite funny collections belongs to my friend who collects cufflinks that depict activities that you'd never wear cufflinks to do--skiing, scuba diving, cancan dancing. It's genius.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:01 PM) : 

I recently asked my mum for my late father's cufflink collection, whilst not as large as shown in the picture, was a mix of ones we had given him as presents, and there were ones from his army days and european trips. I rememeber them pretty vividly, I was and still am facinated with them, and whilst my work attire doesn't require me to wear them, I definitely hope one day I will. I reckon these are a mark of a true gentleman- understated elegance.

 

Blogger Jenn said ... (1:28 AM) : 

Cuff Links - you have to go to estate sales in the south to find them. They look at you real odd if you go into the jeweler or high end store and ask for them.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:17 AM) : 

There used to be a "Ziggy's" on Bleeker before Manhattan became too corporate.

The problem with many cufflinks, including the ones you show above is that they are all very precious metal but really bland in design. I noticed the "qwerty" key links amongst those on display - not good enough to make the cut.

design your own/get craft ones..

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:37 PM) : 

You MUST visit The Missing Link! Cufflinks, cufflinks, cufflinks!! They are on 25th Street! Really a fun place to visit..superb collection...for connoisseurs and novices alike!

 

Anonymous Mara said ... (12:42 PM) : 

I have my grandfather's collection of cufflinks as well and pull them out every once in a while just to look at them, they are lovely. This post has inspired me to look for some women's shirts that take cufflinks, I would love to wear them someday.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:38 PM) : 

My favorite pair of earrings are small gold hexagonal cuff links from the 1930s with a subtly cut graphic art deco design in their faces. I love wearing them because although they are understated they make me feel like I am stealing a piece of history for my own everyday not always elegant life

 

Anonymous Duke E. said ... (2:07 AM) : 

I love cuff links. I wear them everyday at work. I love the style and the look. I live in SF so the next trip to NYC I'll sure make point to visit Leo's.

 

Blogger poochie said ... (10:28 AM) : 

I collected vintage cuff links for years prior to meeting my husband. He is 23 years my senior and appreciates all things vintage and elegant. Now I have someone to share them with and his collection is beautifully one of a kind. We don't buy the modern cuff links though. Not because of the size but because of the poor craftsmanship and quality. Once you go vintage...you never go back.

 

Blogger Emiry said ... (2:18 PM) : 

I love looking at knick knacks like this. Did you get any for yourself?

 

Blogger sbehbehani said ... (12:30 PM) : 

cufflinks are easy to find back home where im from.. kuwait. or any other arabic country for that matter. people still use them alot and almost every store has some, they are limited though i will tell you that..
the reason why is because the men still wear them with traditional "deshdasha" the long white dress like outfit they wear!
good luck with the cufflinks.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting