This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

They Call Her Snowflake, Moscow

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Friday, April 09, 2010

They Call Her Snowflake, Moscow

I met this young lady yesterday at a great new shop in Moscow, called Kuznetsky Most 20.
She said her name in Russian means Snowflake, that's cool.

I think what she has done with her hair is great, but she took it a step further with her dramatic razor thin eyebrows. One of those elements, without the other, would have made the whole look less effective.

I also love how she plays with the contrast of tough but femme sexiness. Yes, she has an obvious punk sensibility, but she still shows a little bare shoulder, has some sparkle in her top and just the slightest touch of color on her lip.

Well played young lady.

Comments on "They Call Her Snowflake, Moscow"

 

Blogger FASHION SNAG said ... (1:52 PM) : 

Cool hair! x

www.FashionSnag.com

 

Blogger Jason Laucht said ... (2:00 PM) : 

WOW! Tolle Frisur tolle Augen und tolle Frau! ;)

 

Blogger Sara said ... (2:03 PM) : 

I wish I could pull off a hair like that! xx

 

Anonymous anina said ... (2:19 PM) : 

i dont like it actually

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:19 PM) : 

she's so cinematographic.
but Kuznetsky is not snowflake in Russian. no matter.Her deep glance,thats what
i like.

 

Blogger GiniGL said ... (2:19 PM) : 

She is gorgeous - for all the reasons you stated. Perfect combination of tough/soft, rough/smooth, masculine/feminine and punk/elegant. Either look without the other would be a yawn.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:23 PM) : 

I love it

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:33 PM) : 

sorry but i don´t like her style at all...
come to munich again, we can do better than that in germany :)

 

Blogger Lisa Petrarca said ... (2:41 PM) : 

Now that is daring...I could never be that brave. My son however did this look by accident oneday when he forgot to put the attachment on while shaving his head!

She pulls it off great though.

 

Anonymous Helena said ... (3:02 PM) : 

I don't like at all! Sorry.
But the young lady is beautiful.

 

Anonymous dina in kc, mo said ... (4:24 PM) : 

Kuznetsky, I believe, is the name if the shop - not her.

And there are women like that in the States.

She is entrancing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:24 PM) : 

Something tells me if she were walking the mid-west streets of America she'd be accused of being a small-town meth addict. Does the fact that she's Russian add to her appeal and make her hair fashionably spot on? I don't know...

 

Blogger Nedda Ebo said ... (4:31 PM) : 

WOW! Well played INDEED! What a fab combination, she's brave.
Mustart x

 

Blogger Sara said ... (4:33 PM) : 

I actually think a really bold eyebrow would look fabulous with this. I love her hair.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:44 PM) : 

now that's different. definitely shows character.
perhaps her name's Snejana?

 

Blogger J said ... (4:47 PM) : 

Not exactly a look I'm crazy about, but I really admire that you feature looks on your blog that are not necessarily "pretty." You have a very open-mind, and it's wonderful :-).

 

Blogger anotherwomanbyrose said ... (5:12 PM) : 

rock and exotic!!

xoxo

another woman by rose

 

Blogger John Bernal said ... (5:19 PM) : 

I love the risks women take with their hair these days. Whether it be shaving just part of their heads or going white/gray.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:30 PM) : 

By the way, Snejana (I believe it's her name; I'm from Russia) doesn't mean Snowflake :) It means cold, white as snow :)

 

Anonymous maria from sofia said ... (5:30 PM) : 

Snowflake in Russian and Bulgarian is SNEZHINA, it is particularly brave to pull up such look in Moscow where the uber rich are living like Western Europe was in the late 80s and 90s and the acceptance level of the 'different' people is rather low...Well done Snezhina and to you Sart for noticing a thing in a culture totally different from yours. All the best!

 

Anonymous princess glee said ... (5:46 PM) : 

What struck me most about this pic is that it's interesting and amazing how it has become difficult to figure out what race people are. Used to be fewer people with mixed race backgrounds but now they're everywhere (I think). Kudos to the human race.

 

Blogger Оksana said ... (5:48 PM) : 

Yes, i believe her name is Snejana. I am not sure I like her look but definitely she is brave and a character girl with lots of self confidence.

 

Blogger Josephina said ... (5:55 PM) : 

I tried to like it. I can't. It is not cool and has no style.

 

Blogger Susan said ... (6:06 PM) : 

Beautiful photo. Beautiful girl.

She is very striking. I think she would be with or without the shaved bit on her head.

Isn't it interesting how much of a statement shaving your hair is for a woman. Fascinating.

 

Blogger SaraKateSwan said ... (7:28 PM) : 

Wow that hair is so brave! Amazing

www.beautifulstreets.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:44 PM) : 

the victorians believed big foreheads were sexy and showed that a woman was smart.
they plucked their eyebrows ultra thin, and shaved part of their forehead similarly, to emphasize their foreheads.
also, the men wore heels, not the women.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:47 PM) : 

I think she is very dramatic, very Russian looking. I like the sparkly top.

 

Anonymous r-dean said ... (7:54 PM) : 

i love it. if i could rock a look like that, i totally would. i'm not gutsy enough. not self assured [yet] enough.

 

Anonymous costume jewellery uk said ... (8:19 PM) : 

Definitely two sides to her personality!

 

Anonymous Yasamin said ... (8:23 PM) : 

"Well played young lady."
Awe. Such a nice compliment!
Such attention to detail. There
is something cool about noticing
eyebrows, the people who notice
eyebrows. Snowflake? I think the
only other suitable name for her
would be Wolf.

 

Blogger Simply JCrew said ... (8:27 PM) : 

..another great post.
Scott, you are fantastic. ~TY

 

Blogger petite chérie said ... (8:33 PM) : 

This is my favorite photo in a long time. Stricking, different, captivating and beautiful. She stands out.

 

Blogger Riot Nrrd said ... (11:55 PM) : 

Her hair is amazing.

 

Blogger Lions, Tigers and Fashion OH MY! said ... (1:34 AM) : 

love it, very unique!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:41 AM) : 

Agreed! Very well played. I think her style is fabulous. She is stunning and her hair is fucken awesome. I have never seen a do like this, nor have I ever considered such a thing but the contrast is amazing. I like it even more than the one shaved side thing!

 

Blogger Bessie said ... (2:41 AM) : 

I love it, and admire Scott's attention to detail. Only I find that the bangs on the right side of her head are a distraction...I'd like to see it with just the long hair.

 

Blogger thwany said ... (2:47 AM) : 

woah, that's...different

 

Blogger kaye said ... (3:11 AM) : 

i love how you noticed such details on her!! her hair is really unique.

stoll over at my blog too!
http://saturdaystylebykaye.blogspot.com/
http://saturdaystylebykaye.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Sam said ... (5:40 AM) : 

"punk sensibility" heh heh

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:36 AM) : 

Very cool.

http://izzenxoxo.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous phyllis said ... (8:00 AM) : 

And she has those wide set Russian eyes too, lovely.

 

Anonymous christina said ... (8:32 AM) : 

her hair is distrubing...in a good way?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:43 AM) : 

beautifull

http://bulbizar.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:22 AM) : 

It's an interesting idea but I don't think it works for her because her face looks rather washed out. I'd use some makeup if I were her and/or brighten up her hair color.
I like a "punk twist" on some girls, but I've noticed that it works only if a girl is naturally gorgeous or if she's weird, for lack of a better word (i.e. not conventionally beautiful but has interesting, eye-catching looks). This girl, I think, is just bland even with this haircut.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:37 AM) : 

great look , more about imagination than money!

 

Blogger Sonja Blackham said ... (5:08 PM) : 

Just the right amount of edge! LOVE it.

 

Blogger Anna Marie said ... (7:28 PM) : 

i've never seen hair done like this before, but i really love it. i agree, well played.
xo

 

Blogger ricola said ... (12:59 AM) : 

Fantastic. Her picture makes me wonder what she sounds like. I imagine a russian Deitrich.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:59 AM) : 

The hair and thinness make her look ill I had no idea the shaved look was intentional until you mentioned it!

Overall interesting style I guess though.

 

Anonymous Alli said ... (4:02 AM) : 

Scott, that's just a brilliant observation about the haircut and the eyebrows and their dependence on each other for the look to be just right. I completely agree and I don't think I would have noticed had you not said anything! But I definitely see it now and it just makes the photo all the more beautiful

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:07 AM) : 

...not my fave, Sart. Sorry but she doesn't look so kind...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:31 AM) : 

I like the girls hair, but I would never have ventured on this!
she is beautiful

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:18 AM) : 

Well Played!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:10 PM) : 

delicate deconstruction
to porcelain punk perfection

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:48 PM) : 

I had to have stitches on the top of my head once and this "look" reminds me of sickness or barfights- She is pretty and intense, but shaved patch of scalp says sutures to me so loudly. Thanks for a controversial and thought provoking photo.

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (2:26 PM) : 

I like it that you're into details.

 

Blogger Walter Helena Photography said ... (3:44 PM) : 

That is a committed style indeed.

I'm having a fine art giveaway at the end of the month and would love you to drop by my blog to enter, if you'd like :)

 

Blogger OooKellyNicky said ... (4:31 PM) : 

Ehhh... I don't know how to feel about this.

La Stylin Girraffe!

 

Blogger Insomnia said ... (5:46 PM) : 

Snejana does mean something between snowflake or cold, rather snowflake though.
Russians girls are often brave. Love her look.

 

Blogger *sunday* said ... (9:38 PM) : 

i think punk is definitely more dominant in the mainstream fashion in russia than it is in other countries... what I find interesting is that Kuznetskiy most is the uber-rich, "if-you-have-to-ask-you-cant-afford" it shopping area.. and also happens to be full of cookie-cutter haute couture fashionistas. So you found this young lady there..does that mean that the Moscow meangirls are finally becoming more accepting of style (style beyond fashionTV that is :)??

 

Blogger Alex.and Ria said ... (10:24 PM) : 

This photo has inspired me so much that I may give this look a try!

 

Blogger Zara said ... (12:34 AM) : 

This picture made me jump when I first saw it. I had brain surgery two and a half years ago, and that is pretty much what my hair looked like afterwards, only with more gone and a huge scar. I appreciate you showing this photo...after my surgery, a lot of people commented on how terrible it was to have lost all that hair--but as you noticed, unconventional does not mean ugly.

 

Blogger Diana said ... (5:31 AM) : 

wow! I will never complain about my naturally, beautifully, intelligently high forehead anymore :-))))

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:40 AM) : 

Snegurochka would be the name then, Kuznetzky most 20 is the address btw.
furthermore a being with that name accompanies the russian santa claus - daddy frost!

i like those stories a lot, reminds me of when i was a kid

 

Anonymous Middleseason said ... (8:41 AM) : 

My favourite kind of woman (the kind whom I try to be) is the one who is able to mix a definite personality and the femme sexiness. It's not so easy. The woman of the photo is a perfect mix.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:20 AM) : 

She's Black & she's beautiful. Thus the tongue & cheek snowflake ref. This from one who is so- called 'racially ambiguous' while Black.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:08 PM) : 

This hairstyle is very Superheroine. It shows off the widow's peak. I think it would look even better if the shaved part were a little darker than the rest.

 

Blogger MlleV said ... (2:53 PM) : 

Wonderful! She could be The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:54 PM) : 

I love that the 80's have arrived in Moscow!

 

Anonymous enterrement vie de célibataire Paris said ... (4:47 PM) : 

She look romantic and sensitive.
Lilou

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:00 PM) : 

It is one thing to dress in a manner that portrays punk ideals; it is a completely other thing to do what this woman has done. She is beautiful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:09 AM) : 

Dang, that's cool. And you're right--the combination of hairline and brows make her features absolutely arresting.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:43 AM) : 

Maybe, her name is Svietlana, it means something like - full of light.

 

Blogger briony-anne said ... (4:22 PM) : 

she's fierce, but captivatingly gentle.... I normally think it's corny to describe people with oxymorons but she demonstrates such a breathtaking juxtaposition of spiky and soft.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:47 PM) : 

I think she's playing with her sensuality a bit. The shoulder bare, but the face daring you to notice. The dazzle of the shirt, but the undershirt underneath. The hair rather shaved and unkempt, but also long and a bit sensual. I like it.

 

Anonymous Oscar said ... (10:17 AM) : 

I think many of you are over-analyzing this. About the style: it's not nice. It looks a bit asymmetric.

 

Blogger Kathleen said ... (2:22 PM) : 

She is lovely. The icy blue is very 80's, so is the haircut. But she's more than this, she's more than a fashion blast to the past, she's eclectic and tasteful. I love the shaved area of her hair, very "out there' and brave. We see people walking down the street that have not let go of an era and it doesn't work. This is not the case here. Her use of makeup and accessories show marked taste. Snowflake is one cool customer.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:50 PM) : 

true individual hair style. don't have many of those nowadays.

 

Blogger mrkendal said ... (5:06 PM) : 

It's young women like this that make older men think young again. Sometimes for the better and sometimes... Either way, she's beautiful. Thank you for seeing beyond the expected. SIncerely, Mr. Black

 

Anonymous loolah said ... (1:40 AM) : 

I don't like it, but I like the fact that she's done it.

 

Blogger Snejoke said ... (5:46 PM) : 

Hi, Scott! Foto-super, very saturate blog, and I` ve learnt A lot of new about myself))
Call me, when u`ll arrive in Moscow, I shall meet u with my coolest friends!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting