This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

A Single Man, Vintage Photo Contest

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Saturday, April 17, 2010

A Single Man, Vintage Photo Contest

Sartorialist note - notice the button placement on his DB jacket
We don't know much about the gentleman on this picture, despite the fact that he always wore something in his breast pocket.

The photo reads something in the back in a mix of french for the title "Le Leme "(North of France, near Paris), and Italian for month "Aprile".
1922 - it was bought at a flea market in Florence.

Comments on "A Single Man, Vintage Photo Contest"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:24 PM) : 

What a striking gentleman, very dapper. He's got the shoes to show in the bottom photo.

 

Blogger ZEPETIT said ... (2:26 PM) : 

I love these old photos!

Zepequeña.

 

Anonymous lorraine said ... (2:42 PM) : 

love this pictures!

 

Blogger davidikus said ... (3:14 PM) : 

Nice pics.

It looks like someone I have seen before. I would need to research that but I cannot find Le Leme on a map.

As for the buttons, there was far more flexibility in terms of tailoring in those days (precisely because most suits were bespoke). It looks to me like a classic (albeit narrow) 3/2 double breasted suit where the bottom two buttons were removed - or never put on, really. It is actually fairly late that the English practice of buttoning the bottom button on a 3/2 caught up in France. Such suits used to be buttoned via the middle button only. At some point the Duke of York (or the Duke of Windsor?) started to button only the bottom button (not the middle one) & this is when French tailors started to add the bottom two buttons (with a buttonhole, often absent before that)...
I still think it best to button only the middle button! But I am (a) a traditionalist when it comes to suits & (b) a bit taller than average so I don't need to lengthen my silhouette.

http://davidikus.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Izzen said ... (3:16 PM) : 

Handsome!

http://izzenxoxo.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger f2images said ... (3:41 PM) : 

Wow, gorgeous gorgeous photos and fashion sense.

Emiko

 

Blogger FASHION SNAG said ... (3:54 PM) : 

Love the different blazers.

www.FashionSnag.com

 

Blogger TheStreetFashion5xpro said ... (4:17 PM) : 

great photo contest

 

Blogger Elizabeth said ... (4:32 PM) : 

All of these vintage photos make my head swirl between longing for the elegance, quality and apparent individuality of the past, against the comfort and freedom of today. Not that any of the vintage people really look that uncomfortable. I guess I'm thinking I would be uncomfortable, esp. in the small town where I live, if I dressed up that much. Hmmm, food for thought.

 

Anonymous Unhessl said ... (5:21 PM) : 

I love the fact that these photographs are safe and salvaged from an undignified future in some dark, forgotten, solitary place.
The elegant man from the past deserves to be inspected, having so much inspiration to give.

I especially like the stripy tie in the first picture.

 

Blogger Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said ... (5:22 PM) : 

I also love the very stylish chair in the second photo! Good composition too.

 

Anonymous m.edwin said ... (5:33 PM) : 

i love how tight the armholes are in the top photo; and that determined gaze, nice

 

Blogger Sarah Angel said ... (5:33 PM) : 

handsome! when is the winner of the contest announced??

 

Blogger Will said ... (5:34 PM) : 

A possible 'Jazz Suit' in that first picture? The time frame is right but it was more of a very short-lived American phenomenon than a European thing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:38 PM) : 

This Vintage series is so exceptional. I can pour over each photo for so long. What a set to inspire. hugs, c

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:07 AM) : 

That first photo is amazing...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:57 AM) : 

Look at the beauty of his hands in the first photo!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:35 AM) : 

The gentleman in the second photo is not the same one in the other two.

 

Blogger jkh said ... (3:56 PM) : 

YOU HAVE TO MAKE A BOOK OF THIS.

 

Blogger yawp said ... (4:28 PM) : 

The original Don Draper!... I love this man.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:40 PM) : 

The second picture is soooo great!

 

Anonymous Barbara said ... (7:44 AM) : 

wow...simply stunning.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:48 AM) : 

Neatness exudes respectfulness to others and somewhat of a genteel nature in all business. I wish there were more around today that dressed this way.

 

Blogger Lucas Jones said ... (2:44 PM) : 

what is "DB"?

http://lucasjonesart.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous cios said ... (3:06 PM) : 

i love the style of these pics , the clothing is simply wonderful

 

Anonymous brodinski said ... (8:41 AM) : 

that 1st image is so gatsby. love it

 

Blogger mozartem-nacieralem-uszy said ... (5:34 PM) : 

oh, tell me where are these boys...
I just love vintage photos :)

 

Anonymous Julia said ... (1:08 AM) : 

I love those photos. I wish I saw this post earlier - I would contribute a photo myself.

 

Anonymous RS said ... (3:44 PM) : 

Looks like you are familiar with "The Impossible Cool?"

 

Anonymous SwanDiamondRose said ... (4:48 PM) : 

very nice button placement.

 

Anonymous SwanDiamondRose said ... (4:54 PM) : 

oh, and love the pant length. i'm done now.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:00 AM) : 

Oh...the first photo is **the** defintive hair cut. Beautiful profile. I'm seduced! Makes me utterly nostalgic for times I never knew.

 

Anonymous Term Papers said ... (2:41 AM) : 

I have been visiting various blogs for my term papers writing research. I have found your blog to be quite useful. Keep updating your blog with valuable information... Regards

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:37 AM) : 

nice to meet again, i have meet to this blog some time ago. I really like to this blog.A marvelous blog.Cheers!

book report writing | dissertations | admission essay writing

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:44 AM) : 

nice to meet again, i have meet to this blog some time ago. I really like to this blog.A marvelous blog.Cheers!

book report writing | dissertations | admission essay writing

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:50 PM) : 

Is the first picture not JD Salinger?!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting