This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street.....Moscow in Color

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Friday, April 09, 2010

On the Street.....Moscow in Color



Growing up during the end of the Cold War, I had always heard that Russia was super grey and depressing. Isn't there an old, famous Burger King commercial about a Russian fashion show? All the "models" were wearing head-to-toe grey and dressed exactly alike. Not that I base my world view on burger commercials, but I continue to be surprised at just how much bright, vivid color is in Moscow. I love that this young lady, who is so dramatic in her tailored, red coat, is not a fashionista but a typical working girl... actually, an "Account Manager for a built-in appliances manufacturer."

I mean, I don't know any "Account Manager for a built-in appliance manufacturer" in Queens, New York that dresses like her. If so, I'd visit Queens more often.

Comments on "On the Street.....Moscow in Color"

 

Anonymous Simon said ... (8:34 AM) : 

you are extremely lucky to visit Moscow on an unusually warm and sunny spell, and our women do dress lively after the long gray winter

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:34 AM) : 

If you stopped by Queens you'd be surprised, very.

 

Blogger iliketweet said ... (8:38 AM) : 

So beautiful, love the vibrant colours.

tweet tweet tweet

x

 

Blogger Jules AF said ... (8:43 AM) : 

I love this. What a great coat.

 

Anonymous TwoPatentPumps said ... (8:47 AM) : 

I definitely know what you mean.. I think people tend to dress up a bit more overseas. I've been to europe and, in general, the people just look more polished. I never ever saw sweatpants or sweatshirts.

 

Blogger Jaci S said ... (8:47 AM) : 

There is some style in us office drones, you just have to look really closely! My co-workers and I work in insurance (in Chicago!) and I think our little team livens up our grey cubicle office with our style and color! some of our office mates think we are slightly crazy for wearing skirts and/or dresses and heels, especially in the winter, but who cares!

 

Blogger BlogCoder said ... (8:53 AM) : 

The simplicity of just red and black but ironically, the look is so dramatic. The black sash around her waist is adorable. But not a fan of her auburn hair, kinda too matchy-matchy.

www.ashluxe.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:57 AM) : 

Moscow used to be gray-er in the times of the USSR era, it's certainly far from being gray now :) Perfect picture, I totally love this deep red against the baby blue of the church behind her!

 

Anonymous PrairieSurnise said ... (9:15 AM) : 

I love that coat!

 

Blogger Kathleen said ... (9:15 AM) : 

She is lovely and so self assured. We close our minds to certain parts of the world with a fashion stigma placed on them, shame on us. Some of the greatest art in the world, I'm thinking Carl F. has come from Russia. And what about the furs? Please! I love her red coat, the sexy black leather sash as a belt, the black shoes and tights. She is simply fabulous, very regal, and she knows it!

 

Blogger Daniel said ... (9:15 AM) : 

That's just an old stereotype! Moscow is supercool right now. Love her coat!
Let's grow up Later

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:25 AM) : 

True..nice red coat
but the gorgeous background impress me more!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:38 AM) : 

"I never ever saw sweatpants or sweatshirts." I actually giggled out loud from the generalisation :D In my hometown, wearing sweatpants is seen as dressing up almost!

 

Blogger Moscow-girl said ... (9:47 AM) : 

It is not unusual for Moscow.
There are ordinary office employees who do not work in fashion, dress like this lady, with good taste, in classic style, with heels.

 

Anonymous InspiringUs said ... (9:53 AM) : 

So goog contrast: red & blue. I like it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:02 AM) : 

Julia, it is not a church. I think, it's a historical mansion in the city centre.

 

Blogger miss anna katie said ... (10:02 AM) : 

the red against the blue in the background is really effective and eye catching..

 

Blogger N. said ... (10:07 AM) : 

the only reason it was grayer was that there was no opportunity for people to buy the clothes they wanted... but let me tell you, my mom and dad were rockin the 70s look no doubt about it.. and people made their own clothes which could definitely compare to the ones we buy in stores...
and the women ALWAYS wore heals in Russia. No matter what. the majority of women are in heals and dresses... i wish women were more inclined to do the same in NY but then again.. they hurt so much!!!!! haha.
cant wait to see more pictures from russia, i know you will find knockouts.

 

Anonymous Vijay Kumar said ... (10:08 AM) : 

Hi,
I looked your blog and I love it. I also create a fashion blog please take a look: http://makefashionworld.blogspot.com
Please give me some tips for improve my blog.

 

Blogger N. said ... (10:08 AM) : 

the only reason it was grayer was that there was no opportunity for people to buy the clothes they wanted... but let me tell you, my mom and dad were rockin the 70s look no doubt about it.. and people made their own clothes which could definitely compare to the ones we buy in stores...
and the women ALWAYS wore heals in Russia. No matter what. the majority of women are in heals and dresses... i wish women were more inclined to do the same in NY but then again.. they hurt so much!!!!! haha.
cant wait to see more pictures from russia, i know you will find knockouts.

 

Blogger Methinks said ... (10:25 AM) : 

I left Moscow during the cold war and it was a grey, drab place.

You're looking at Moscow 20 years after the collapse. I returned in the early 90's when huge piles of rubbish were piled up around the city and I've been back since. The difference is striking.

Women schlep around Moscow in stilettos and big fur "shuba" or colourful coats. They're always dressed up. I tend to dress in jeans and unassuming coats when I'm there so as not to attract attention and become a target. One of my aunts asked me why I insist on dressing "so poor". In NYC, the way I dress would be considered normal.

I love her coat. The cut, the colour, the sash. It hearkens back to a pre-revolutionary Russian style.

 

Blogger Hera said ... (10:26 AM) : 

I love her coat and everything about this picture, the blue background , the combination red and black.

 

Blogger ML said ... (10:28 AM) : 

Are these YSL pumps, I wonder? She is refreshing

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:30 AM) : 

Ashley-how can you comment negatively on someone's given hair color?!! Can't blondes wear yellow? And redheads wear red? She looks great and very approachable.

 

Anonymous Anton said ... (10:42 AM) : 

It was a Wendy's commercial. Of course the hamburger is as gray as the clothes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CaMUfxVJVQ

 

Blogger FASHION SNAG said ... (10:42 AM) : 

Wow, love her vibrant red coat. x

www.FashionSnag.com

 

Anonymous girl6_nyc said ... (10:47 AM) : 

No offense, but maybe you should venture out in the city a little more. I see tons of well dressed women on their way to work and Im one of them. You're not going to see the trendiest outfits but you will see more than a few women who take the time to look good even if theyre not working in the fashion industry.

 

Blogger Brigadeiro said ... (10:54 AM) : 

Gorgeous vibrant colour, and so beautiful against the blue backdrop...

 

Anonymous Katerina said ... (11:13 AM) : 

I am a Russian living in the USA...definitely agree that streets in Moscow and actually in most cities in Russia are full of surprises,great taste,characters and beauty..I miss it here a lot..people,ladies especially,don't take pride in dressing up,i rarely see some effort...
sometimes,although Russians dress up too much,but i'd rather see that than sweatpants or pajamas.. after all I think Russian women are very beautiful,they take care of themselves and they are anything but grey!!

 

Blogger Sophia said ... (11:13 AM) : 

I've always wanted to go to Moscow. I've heard so many great things about Russia but haven't had the chance to go! I know it's famous for beautiful girls lol and she is definitely one of them!

http://skiepies.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger no-more-wire-hangers said ... (11:15 AM) : 

Red coats will ALWAYS create a great impact i reckon :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:25 AM) : 

Wonderful; just wonderful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:30 AM) : 

I love your blog, but why the dig at Queens? Maybe you just need to meet more account managers.

 

Blogger TakeTheMoment! said ... (11:37 AM) : 

Such a great colours! ! !

 

Blogger Amita said ... (11:47 AM) : 

really wonderful!(:

ashesofcarnations.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Archie said ... (12:04 PM) : 

The russian Samantha Morton

www.thearchblog.com

 

Blogger Anon.: said ... (12:04 PM) : 

Dear Scott,
I remember you made a similarly disparaging remark about a geographic location's fashion shortcomings about my city, Pittsburgh, a few years ago with regard to the surely appalled reception men's leggings would receive. On the contrary, a tightest pants contest around here would elicit some skeleton-defying results from the boys. It seems contrary to reason that a street fashion photographer would assume on superficial contact that a place lacks no style. Shooting in the village and Milan is like fish in a barrel.

 

Anonymous Alterations Needed said ... (12:14 PM) : 

Man, red coats are the best. They just exude confidence. I like the contrast belt she's wearing too. makes it more interesting.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:40 PM) : 

red coat

http://bulbizar.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:15 PM) : 

If you stopped by Queens you'd be surprised, very.
----------------------
word!

 

Anonymous Jessica said ... (1:21 PM) : 

Don't write it off. A girl I know who is a project manager for a commercial fixtures manufacturer here in Portland is one of the most stylish women in town.

It's the sort of job that means you want to move up in business, and at the sort of business that makes tangible objects, as opposed to the businesses that just advise or advertise or comment.

You don't become the CEO of P&G by starting at a magazine...

 

Blogger @nnoushka said ... (1:34 PM) : 

I want that coat! Maybe I should move to Moscow????

 

Blogger Mumei said ... (1:50 PM) : 

fantatic contrast in her outfit and the hot foregroud vs. cool background.

very nice.

 

Anonymous Fashion As a 2nd Language said ... (2:01 PM) : 

Moscow and St. Petersburg can be beautiful, romantic places: look at those pretty blue walls and grand windows! Like most of the world's great cities, they also hold striking contrasts: the very poor next to the very rich, the very old and traditional next to young trendsters. It's interesting, though, how the color & shape of her coat manage to say "fashion" in so many languages.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:20 PM) : 

You're sounding pretty snobby here Scott. There are many vibrantly dressed and beautiful women in Queens.

 

Anonymous Jessica said ... (2:25 PM) : 

If there's one thing I like about Moscow, it's that women dress like women.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:22 PM) : 

Don't go knocking Queens. It's New York's last redoubt of ethnic neighborhoods - and hopefully will stay that way.

 

Blogger Mari Woolf said ... (3:33 PM) : 

Russian girls wear the craziest things, we like all that is bright and showy. Sometimes malheureusement also bling bling.. But I think we do it to contrast with the rather grey-shaded Moscow.
http://mariwoolf.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:47 PM) : 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CaMUfxVJVQ
Wendys!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:50 PM) : 

love the red with the blue background!

 

Blogger Heather Taylor said ... (5:38 PM) : 

Fabulous coat!

 

Blogger stylespotterfashionblogger said ... (5:45 PM) : 

Love the colour of the coat! And the belt! Very striking!

 

Anonymous Ava86 said ... (6:13 PM) : 

That divine coat and historic building...together are sublime.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:17 PM) : 

It's a beautiful coat, but it overpowers her. Also, wondering if you've ever been outside of half a mile radius of red sq. Since you're complaining about queens, you might want to check out people in Moscow suburbs. Let's compare apples to apples.

 

Blogger Kris Daria said ... (7:03 PM) : 

WOW! I'd love to have her fierce red coat.

www.kdaria.posterous.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:15 PM) : 

Dear Scott,
Can you please post more pictures from Russia? There are a lot of wonderful pictures from NY, Paris, Milano on your website. I believe Eastern Europeans deserve some attentions too! I live in Boston now but I am originally from Belarus. Every time I go there I feel so inspired to dress up when I come back!
Kisses,
Yuliya.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:20 PM) : 

Russia is one of the most fashionable places on the planet. It one of my favorite places period! Moscow is ALL about fashion. They play FTV there like they do TSN in the USA. What a sensible country no?

 

Anonymous rj said ... (7:27 PM) : 

quietly confident and cool, and one of the best photos in my opinion. also, she is attractive woman!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:53 PM) : 

I'd forgotten how powerful red is to wear. I love it with those shoes, otherwise it wouldn't work for me. Creates a kind of romantic look.

 

Blogger Kristina Karenina said ... (7:57 PM) : 

Moscow is like any other place in the world. There are women in stunning designer labels and there are women suffocating in outrageous spandex. Its a matter of taste and of course finances.

The red military-inspired coat is absolutely gorgeous because of its regal simplicity, but I do agree it slightly does overpower her fragile features.

 

Anonymous Costume Jewellery said ... (8:26 PM) : 

Looking good for an account manager. Maybe she's in the wrong industry!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:39 PM) : 

Believe me, all communist block countries wore gray/ brownish quite shapeless and garments for years, because there was nothing else- unless you had an aunt in US who sent you used clothing, black-market dollars or ability to make your clothing yourself. People were starved for fashion. We had some fashion heroes - Barbara Hoff in Poland singlehandedly produced small collections sold in thousands.
It's all very different now.
By the way - red coat - nice, but not remarkable.

 

Blogger Nicole Then said ... (9:34 PM) : 

haha love your comment about the burger commercial. her coat is fantastic and against that blue building = awesome

 

Anonymous Masha said ... (11:23 PM) : 

When I came to US 2.5 years ago I was very uncomfortable in my clothes because I stood out, I was overdressed, even though in Russia the way I dressed was not even considered flashy. So I started wearing more unfashinable clothes, which now I regret because I shouldn't've been influenced by all the sweat-pants and t-shirts that people wear in public (which I will wear only if someone hits me on the head pretty hard with a hammer)...
Now I am going back home this summer and I will feel definetly in my shoes...

Red coat + high heels = perfect!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:47 AM) : 

FINALLY!!!! Some real color! So sick of seeing the same boring shades of camel, gray and black!!

 

Anonymous HBTN said ... (5:46 AM) : 

the clash between the tiffany blue wall and her cherry red coat is spectacular. Love it. www.hbtnstyle.com.au

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:52 AM) : 

Dear Scott, thank you very much for yesterday's book signing - and for the book, fist of all! Like many others, I came yesterday in hope to buy it, and it was great to receive it as a gift from you. I hope you like Moscow. Come more often - our city looks quite different in different seasons, and street fashion as well. Thank you again, best wishes - Natasha.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:37 AM) : 

Oh, fabulous sash & big red coat combo!

http://izzenxoxo.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Milt-fresh_best-dressed said ... (9:56 AM) : 

THAT COAT IZ DANGEROUZ AND SPEAKZ VOLUMEZ!!! RED IZ A STRONG COLOR ANYWAY. SO WHEN ADDED TO A GARMENT SUCH AZ THIZ IT HAZ THE POER TO SPEAK ON ITZ OWN.

 

Anonymous Ellie said ... (10:28 AM) : 

I love the way she's set against the blue back drop. Nice!

 

Blogger Susan said ... (10:55 AM) : 

Yes, Queens! My job has recently moved to Long Island City and I've been impressed with what I have have scene, food and people wise. There are so many studios doing creative, tactile work, galleries, PS1 and the MOMA outpost. It's definitely worth a walk around.

 

Blogger kendal croix. said ... (11:24 AM) : 

just a beautiful coat.

 

Anonymous Gene Wicker Jr said ... (11:51 AM) : 

Killer red coat. Great contrast of her red/black against the blue in the background.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:29 PM) : 

Scott, thanks for this picture

i live in Moscow for all my life and can assert it's a typical outfit for work. more or less. rather more.
that's great that simple russian women's style was appreciate by you. And you showed it to people in your blog hehe

we're waiting you back!

 

Blogger thekiwibex said ... (1:20 PM) : 

Absolutely stunning! I love the way she has the collar up and has cinched the waist with the leather belt...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:59 PM) : 

Love the blog and her fabulous red coat but picking on Queens ... wha!?... like someone else commented, taking pictures in Paris and Milan is like shooting a fish in a barrel. Visit Queens.

 

Anonymous The Photodiarist said ... (7:53 PM) : 

Gorgeous colors.

 

Blogger Ec Brown said ... (8:33 PM) : 

After just returning from Moscow, I realized that Russian women embody the concept of "Nahodnost" --or making due with what one has in a creative and clever way--to a T when it comes to fashion. Chances are this is her only coat, and those heels were purchased with three weeks wages (Though if she's working in the area where you shot this, she's probably making a bit more...) or as knock offs at the Cherkizovski market. But regardless of whether she's wearing a tattered housecoat at home, she'll make this look amazing every single day. It also never ceased to amaze me the speed at which Moscow women could walk through the snowy streets in their stilettos, all winter long... it's an art form.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:30 AM) : 

The Russians are quite fashionable in my experience- both in Russia and abroad. The old Wendy's commercial did have some truth to it- I visited GUM on Red Square not long after the fall of the iron curtain, and the lady shop workers all wore those blue dress/cover thingys. It was pretty amazing!
I was back several years ago- both Moscow & St. Pete had most major world class cities beat! Leave it to the Russians!

 

Blogger penny said ... (10:52 AM) : 

i don't know why, but she looks like Carey Mulligan!
love her shoes..

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (2:27 PM) : 

Woah, such a good looking lady.

 

Blogger *sunday* said ... (9:31 PM) : 

I love that coat! And it is so true that people in Russia dress up more for work... I guess its their way of beating the all-year-round cold weather blues..

 

Blogger Alex.and Ria said ... (10:25 PM) : 

beautiful shot and coat !

http://www.fashphotomusicology.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Duke E. said ... (10:38 PM) : 

Pure beauty! Pure elegance!!

 

Blogger Jacq said ... (4:23 AM) : 

She is super stylish. The cut of that coat is just lovely, particularly with the wide belt.

 

Anonymous Gant Jumper said ... (7:28 AM) : 

That red coat is to die for! Stunning colour as well

 

Anonymous Gaynor Alder (The Modern Woman's Survival Guide) said ... (8:58 AM) : 

I love this coat - the red is so uplifting for winter and the collar is fab!

 

Blogger Story Collector said ... (9:32 AM) : 

The vibrant red against the cool blue makes a fab combination. I love the collar, it's really elegant.

 

Anonymous shopgirlpenny said ... (9:58 AM) : 

I'm an account manager who lives in queens who I'd like to think has a keen eye for fashion. ;)

 

Blogger Little Lovables said ... (10:18 AM) : 

so lovely, love the shape how the coat bottom flares out like a dress

 

Blogger Laura Trevey said ... (11:10 AM) : 

I love red coats! What a bold statement ~~

 

Blogger GLORIA M. said ... (11:19 AM) : 

Marvellous contrasting colours!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:27 PM) : 

Anon 12:04, I second that!
"Shooting in the village and Milan is like fish in a barrel."

 

Anonymous enterrement vie de jeune fille Paris said ... (4:37 PM) : 

très jolie manteau.
Lilou

 

Anonymous soyouthinkyourecool.com said ... (5:53 PM) : 

Love it! Great color, very cool

 

Blogger SoggyFrog said ... (3:36 AM) : 

I'd expect an account manager to be quite attentive to her appearance, as this woman is. Not to be confused with a management accountant.

 

Blogger Cheryl Lynn Pastor Romance Author said ... (10:20 AM) : 

Oh my goodness! I remember that commerical and was just discussing it the other day with a friend. Every time I think of it, it still cracks me up!

This young lady is beautiful and very stylish. Red suits her just fine. I'm one of those office workers who dresses in high heels and skirts, dresses and suits every day. I get laughed at for my 3,4, and 5+ inch stilettos and platforms, but hey, that's okay with me.

Great pic!

 

Blogger Fun 4 Life said ... (11:33 AM) : 

It's beautiful, uma inspiração o look dela!!

 

Blogger kkollwitz said ... (1:44 PM) : 

I was in Moscow for a couple of weeks in the winter of 2000-2001 for an adoption.

Like many visitors I was struck by the elegance of Russian women.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:26 AM) : 

Were there any Built in Appliance Manufacturers in Moscow where a typical working girl could afford to dress with fashion during it's gray period?
Are there any in Queens now?

A.M.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting