This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street.....Lynn Yeager, Paris

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, April 05, 2010

On the Street.....Lynn Yeager, Paris

Comments on "On the Street.....Lynn Yeager, Paris"

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:28 PM) : 

Beautiful shot, completely vivid although it's in black & white.

Love her argyle tights!

the contemporary ingenue

xoxo E&L

 

Blogger SLOmygosh said ... (6:28 PM) : 

LOVE her.

 

Blogger The Fashion Alchemist said ... (6:31 PM) : 

I absolutely love this photo! From her diamond tights, to that bag, the pear shaped layers and her alice in wonderland esque lips!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:34 PM) : 

incredible woman.... her layers and tights with wee ballet flats. very ballet

 

Blogger Hannah said ... (6:34 PM) : 

i want to be exactly like this when i'm old. or at least with the same lipstick.

 

Blogger Gabriela said ... (6:40 PM) : 

Love it, she looks stunning and it's great that it's in black & white.

 

Blogger WE SPY WITH MY LITTLE i said ... (6:41 PM) : 

Here is a lady of sheer excellence! The fur, the tatty ballerina pumps, her love for Alber Elbaz, the Vivienne Westwood tights and her bowl cut barnet. I salut you!

Yours Truly

WE SPY WITH MY LITTLE i

 

Anonymous Alexis said ... (6:41 PM) : 

Amazing image! She's fantastic. So individual.

http://brightonstylememos.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:41 PM) : 

look at that lipstick. ...great shot ...love the graffiti on the wall

 

Blogger Juli said ... (6:42 PM) : 

I love her! First saw her in an article on unique beauty in "O, the Oprah Magazine." An admirable, truly one-of-a-kind, fabulous woman.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:46 PM) : 

In the 1920s, everyone wanted those Clara Bow lips. She's a trend setter to bring them back en vogue. So sweet.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:46 PM) : 

great choice of clothes and make-up!


xx

http://sofrannifinesse.blogspot.com/
http://sofrannifinesse.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Nedda Ebo said ... (6:49 PM) : 

I love her look! :)

Mustart

x

 

Blogger Mrs F said ... (6:51 PM) : 

same here I am loving the argyle tights! great picture :)

 

Anonymous Elaine said ... (6:51 PM) : 

She appears to be an icon. Love her lipstick, purse, socks, and how her fur collar frames her face.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:55 PM) : 

When I grow old.
I want to be her.

http://misanthropicpulp.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:00 PM) : 

beautiful photo.
I love the bag and tights!

http://hippiefrontrow.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger エスタ said ... (7:07 PM) : 

what a character, individualism in fashion. love it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:07 PM) : 

STYLE.-

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (7:15 PM) : 

She's fantastic.

 

Blogger See Your Style said ... (7:18 PM) : 

She's lovely and really holds her style well. Saw her last Sunday in the Club Monaco on Fifth of all places...with a black tutu in hand.


http://seeyourstyle.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous edinamonsoon said ... (7:30 PM) : 

Love her. Love her look. I'm such a huge fan of Lynn Yaeger. She's got great vision, spirit and humor. I'm so glad you included her on your blog.

 

Blogger Katalina said ... (7:36 PM) : 

She is amazing... What a unique style! One of a kind.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:36 PM) : 

i LOVE her. What is she doing now that she's not at the newspaper?

 

Anonymous Persephone said ... (7:41 PM) : 

How can you not respect her?

http://the-limbo-of-vanity.tumblr.com

 

Blogger spencerrr said ... (7:46 PM) : 

what a darling she is!
she makes me happy to love fashion because you know deep down in her soul she absolutely adores it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:48 PM) : 

Marvelous!

 

Anonymous Natasha said ... (7:48 PM) : 

this picture is beautiful, she almost looks like a character from a story, the look with the fur, tights and bag is so playful and the black and white image is powerful!

x

 

Anonymous geoffreyPAYTON said ... (7:54 PM) : 

LYNN! one of my fave fashon writers. Straight, no chaser.

 

Anonymous Hélène - Odha la mode said ... (7:59 PM) : 

Wow, cette photo est juste sublime! J'adore son sac, son manteau et... ses collants!

Odha la mode

 

Anonymous princess glee said ... (8:01 PM) : 

Oh my! She's one to behold.

 

Anonymous Nariya said ... (8:08 PM) : 

This woman is BRILLIANT. There is so much that is awesome about this photo, and her.

 

Blogger Pooja P said ... (8:17 PM) : 

I am in LOVE with this lady. She just reminds me sooo much of my grams.

 

Blogger Gloria said ... (8:31 PM) : 

she always looks the same...I suppose that's part of her charm!

 

Blogger Nicole Francois said ... (8:51 PM) : 

This is the most amazing thing I've ever seen. Scott, you have this ability to grab and/or move me everytime. I am a writer and artist and fashion blogger and what I find on your blog is constantly surprising and consistently inspiring. Merci, simplement.
http://quicksaidthebird.wordpress.com/

 

Blogger Sara said ... (8:57 PM) : 

She's amazing! Just love her style xx

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:04 PM) : 

You love her because you know her, or at least have seen her often enough. Otherwise, you'd think she was an eccentric old woman in costume.

 

Anonymous Carole said ... (9:11 PM) : 

wonderful and very interesting picture.

 

Blogger Elizabeth said ... (9:14 PM) : 

great bag. hope to be as awesome as her when i'm older.

http://nothingbutapackofcards.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Elizabeth said ... (9:14 PM) : 

great bag. hope to be as awesome as her when i'm older.

http://nothingbutapackofcards.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Carlos said ... (9:19 PM) : 

I love the Lanvin bag!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:40 PM) : 

MY SHERO!

 

Blogger FASHION SNAG said ... (9:40 PM) : 

I love the photo and I love the woman in it.

www.FashionSnag.com

 

Blogger May Brady said ... (9:46 PM) : 

Oh, I do adore! Gorgeous.

 

Blogger eesa said ... (9:46 PM) : 

the lips+thebag+thefur+thecoat+ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING i loveeelovelove

 

Anonymous mabelmabel said ... (9:49 PM) : 

I am a MAJOR Lynn Yeager fan. Lynn Yeager totally shows that clothes are a joy, and the more the merrier. I always feel as though she loves her body, too. She seems admirably free of the notion that one must dress to flatter the body or to improve upon the body. Yeager's outfits always say to me, "Oh, lighten up about your body! It's strong, it makes a good hanger--what's not to love?"

 

Blogger Fazal deen said ... (10:06 PM) : 

Love Her!
One of the nicest persons you would ever want to meet!

For the post above about wanting to be her when she gets old-

WHY WAIT ????????????????????????
NOW is THE perfect time

Fazal

 

Blogger Sarah said ... (10:25 PM) : 

She reminds me of Vivienne Westwood here - The Eternal Gamine. She has her own POV that is both strange and beautiful all at once.

 

Anonymous Zazie's said ... (10:32 PM) : 

Very interesting black&white picture, it makes her look from another time, even more...

 

Anonymous enrique said ... (10:36 PM) : 

Ms. Yaeger's piece on French allure on the cheap in last month's Vogue was humourous and informative. She clearly knows a thing or two about personal style.

 

Blogger lintmag said ... (10:54 PM) : 

Lynn Yeager is one of the people I would love to see in a major fashion magazine interview - she is much more fascinating than the boring celebrities they profile every month.

 

Blogger katkas said ... (10:54 PM) : 

such a cool photo

http://pieinmypants.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger the Citizen Rosebud said ... (11:00 PM) : 

from the first time I ever saw a picture of her, I have loved her look! She is awesome!

 

Blogger d.o.f. said ... (11:36 PM) : 

so fabulous.

 

Anonymous Alison said ... (11:49 PM) : 

She's having fun ... which looks awesome!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:54 PM) : 

I LIVE FOR HER

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:32 AM) : 

Realy beautiful image. Reminds me of the Brassai photograph, La Mome Bijou.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:37 AM) : 

too cool!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:45 AM) : 

I agree with the anonymous comment above: you only think she's adorable because you know who she is. Your praise is a totally arbitrary evaluation of what would otherwise be considered bizarre.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:55 AM) : 

I agree with the comment: "...you love her because you know her."

She is a talented writer and may be a charming and amusing person, but if you saw those costumes on a woman walking down the street, you would be appalled. What hypocrisy.

 

Blogger Johanna Urban said ... (2:59 AM) : 

I LOOOVE HER! She is GOURGES (how do you spell???) anyway... she's perfekt, thats a really good shot!! .., thats good!!! 10/10 points!!!!!



IF YOU LIKE ART ---> new pictures
http://johannaurban.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous CROATOR.NET said ... (3:38 AM) : 

Love your B&W photos!

 

Anonymous proletarian Great Gatsby said ... (4:40 AM) : 

A good fairy of our days.Is she so angelical & ironical as she looks like?

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:07 AM) : 

impressive! Nice lanvin, indeed!

http://www.xaviworld82.com/

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:12 AM) : 

Interesting lady, and fantastic picture. I really like the black and white and composition of this photo.
Her lipstick and tights move me!

 

Blogger Emma said ... (5:53 AM) : 

To Anonymous 9:04: what's wrong with eccentric old women? I think she looks lovely, and I don't even know her name. I hope to become as inspiring when I grow old.

And the picture is beautiful! I love how it's written "Valérie Pécresse" on the wall...

 

Blogger BlogCoder said ... (5:59 AM) : 

Yeager channels eccentric chic best! The Lanvin bag matches her personality.

www.ashluxe.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous sarees said ... (6:04 AM) : 

This is unique style of fashions.

 

Blogger Alban Giudicelli said ... (6:10 AM) : 

My god she looks great !

 

Anonymous loolah said ... (6:54 AM) : 

Very Sitwell-esque.

What a gorgeousness.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:13 AM) : 

first thought to see her is.. WAT A LOVELY DARING LADY..!! simply loving her style.. looks as the fusion of modern victorian look...doesnt it??

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:19 AM) : 

First reaction:

Good Lord...I love it!!

 

Blogger Valéry Lorenzo said ... (7:24 AM) : 

Where is she going ?

 

Blogger Konstantin Siegel said ... (7:46 AM) : 

like her!


http://daily-illustration.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:15 AM) : 

Wow she has four eyes two are as usual that human being have and rest two is on her lovely bag....
for keeping eye on the bag...

 

Blogger Jorge from W Palm Beach said ... (8:33 AM) : 

One of the great ladies of fashion! Interestingly enough, if you put them in a line-up, you will see they all have discovered what works for them in terms of hair, makeup, and silhouette- and they stick to that regardless of what is fashionable at the moment. And THAT is style instead of, or maybe in addition to, fashion. Great shot, and I love that it is in black and white. Jorge from WPB

 

Blogger Álvaro said ... (8:45 AM) : 

Love love love her!!!

it´s like a 20´s comeback


:)

 

Anonymous Agus said ... (8:50 AM) : 

Hello from Bs. As Argentina! Love your blog...i check everyday, it always inspires me...thank you very much.

 

Anonymous Robin said ... (8:50 AM) : 

To the Anon posters: I think your snarky posts are hilarious! Why so angry? Ms Yeager's ensemble is her own whether she's famous, infamous. If you need to interpret her motives or her sanity that's too bad. If you would be "appalled" to see this on a woman walking down the street, wow. Too bad for you.
As for myself I simply enjoy the whimsy and unique-ness. A true joy IMHO. I say bravo.
Love from VT

 

Blogger psforal said ... (8:58 AM) : 

I just want to say thank you for this blog, and for the new perspective to fashion and lifestyle that it gave me. I came back from Paris yesterday (that was my first time in that fantastic city), and during my trip I realized that I know - at least a little bit - how French people's urban-style is today. Thanks to this blog. And also because I check on The Sartorialist every day I've started unintentionally to search for stylish persons "on the street" who would be a good subjects for you:)

 

Blogger MELISSA Z. said ... (9:14 AM) : 

Oh wow! This photo is simply wonderful!

www.abitoffashion.com

 

Anonymous Y. Lori said ... (9:21 AM) : 

So Kawaii!(Cute in Japanese)

I have tag your blog on my site. www.ylori.com/blog

Regards,
Y. Lori

 

Anonymous Maija said ... (9:43 AM) : 

She's lovely.

 

Anonymous gih said ... (10:09 AM) : 

She looks fabulous with that..

 

Anonymous minx said ... (10:19 AM) : 

WOW! She's amazing and scary in equal measure - and no, I'm not just saying that because of who she is (thank you, Anonymous) because I have never seen her before. Now that I have seen her, however, I wonder how I never have before - she's wonderful! Love the eyes on the bag.

 

Blogger Allen - East Hampton said ... (10:28 AM) : 

A true original. I would see her here and there in Greenwich Village for years, before learning her identity. She never disappoints. Go Lynn!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:38 AM) : 

To those of you who say we'd hate her for her oddness if we didn't know who she was, well, I guess if you're in Mall Land, that would be the case. In New York, she doesn't look odd or weird at all. One reason why is that her look is well thought out and very well done. Her clothes and person are clean, and her make up meticulously done. Her look is obviously not the result of a disheveled mind. AND I've seen little kids in NYC beam when they see her, which probably isn't the case for you crankies.

 

Blogger NYC Fashionista said ... (10:38 AM) : 

Wanna see the color!!!!!! Especially on her!!!!!!!

 

Anonymous From Me To You said ... (10:40 AM) : 

I saw her in Manhattan a couple of weeks ago having dinner in a cafe in the west village. I myself gasp'd knowing who she was, I wish we had more inspiring people like this in the world.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:53 AM) : 

Never gets old!!
She has young heart definitely.

 

Anonymous cociolph said ... (10:59 AM) : 

I didn't know Adolphe Menjou was still alive.

 

Blogger norawoah said ... (11:31 AM) : 

I'm kinda in love with Lynn, she can do no wrong in my eyes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:33 AM) : 

how can you seriously say she looks remotely good...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:39 AM) : 

Visions of August Sander!
Stylish!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:39 AM) : 

Visions of August Sander!
Stylish!

 

Blogger Parisbreakfasts said ... (12:11 PM) : 

Gawd I miss her writing at The Village Voice!
wonderful shot...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:38 PM) : 

couture by dr who when beautiful worlds a venus among women arises...imagination kisses our check thanks

 

Blogger Gary said ... (1:13 PM) : 

All right.. I like her coat and the fur, I like the four eyes, the hair cut... yes why not, quite interesting. BUT I think the shoes, tights and dress (?) are completely wrong, and the lipstick makes her look like a rabbit. Yet she seems to be an interesting person.

 

Anonymous Stephanie Zacharek said ... (1:15 PM) : 

To those "anonymous" commenters who say we love her only because we've seen her around and we know who she is: Many of us, myself included, have been reading her for years. I was reading her long before I had any idea what she looked like or how she likes to dress. She's a writer first and foremost -- a terrific one -- and if she doesn't fit your mold of what a style icon ought to be, that's perfectly legitimate. But don't waste your time, energy and meager brainwaves lecturing those of us who respond to her look about why we -shouldn't- be responding.

And I'm signing this with my real name.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:15 PM) : 

I bet anything she was buying the black tutu at Club Monaco to either 1- dress one of her antique dolls or teddy bears or 2- wear as a Queen Elizabeth I ruff. :) I love Lynn, too. Bugger off, haters.

 

Anonymous ME said ... (1:20 PM) : 

IT SEEMS THE SARTORIALIST HAS MANY FANS IN BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA. WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO VISIT US??

 

Anonymous PIETMAN said ... (1:27 PM) : 

She's GREAT but, why do I have a feeling that she's going to hate this photo.Wish I can see her apt. bet it looks fantastic.Love from Cape Town.

 

Blogger iliketweet said ... (1:29 PM) : 

I LOVE her...

tweet tweet tweet

x

 

Blogger dehl said ... (1:36 PM) : 

didn't to much but looks young with her style n she enjoy it... cool.. n brave

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:38 PM) : 

Completely splendid. Thank goodness for people who can inspire simply with cheeky and evocative hair and makeup!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:30 PM) : 

Talk about layering... Genius! Nice pair of eyes on her bag too.

 

Blogger Little Lovables said ... (2:33 PM) : 

she's truly an original spirit

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:35 PM) : 

THIS is style. she is always so comfortable being HER. i had a negative comment about the leopard print with yellow rain coat lady a few days ago . . . that is not style; that is putting trendy pieces together and hoping for the best. but lynn. LYNN!!! she is a true icon. i love her.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:31 PM) : 

I love her, she looks truly original and carefree. I wish I had her stance to the world.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:35 PM) : 

Whatever you say, you've got to think she got the proportions right.

And really, what do I want from folks in fashion but to push the boundaries.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:06 PM) : 

i dream of being this woman. love her.

<3

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:13 PM) : 

Love that she dresses for comfort and not for trends. And writes damned inciteful fashion articles and critiques as well.

 

Blogger Kate Rose said ... (5:22 PM) : 

so cute! This makes me think of Spirited Away

 

Blogger TheStreetFashion5xpro said ... (5:26 PM) : 

love this pict...amazing black & white

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:49 PM) : 

A person isn't a "hater" simply because their opinion is the opposite of yours. My reaction is the same: if I knew her as a local, I would probably think she was a charming character. If it was my mother who showed up at Easter service looking like that, I'd probably expire from embarrassment.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:07 AM) : 

As someone said previously, this photo evokes Brassai. But what an awesome work of art this woman is. To be interesting from the top of your head to the soles of your feet is an achievement few can pull off. Perfect.

www.scarebaby.com

 

Blogger ANDWHATELSEISTHERE said ... (5:40 AM) : 

she's friggin sassy, its just ageless!

ANDWHATELSEISTHERE

SHOP

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:52 AM) : 

Klaus Nomi lipstick, anyone?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:33 AM) : 

GREAT PHOTO OF LYNN....HI LYNN...THIS IS FROM OLD FRIEND 'LYNN'...SHE LOOKS GREAT AND HAS THE MOST PERSONAL OF STYLE.....LOVE IT....THANKS...L

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:18 PM) : 

Stephanie Zacherak, dear, please calm down!

You made the very point you claim to protest: "Many of us, myself included, have been reading her for years. I was reading her long before I had any idea what she looked like or how she likes to dress." So you already admired her for her fine work -- the quality of which no one is disputing -- thus were predisposed to look at her style favorably.

Your further comment:
"...if she doesn't fit your mold of what a style icon ought to be, that's perfectly legitimate. But don't waste your time, energy and meager brainwaves lecturing those of us who respond to her look about why we -shouldn't- be responding." You seem to be terribly sensitive if you think a few critical comments are "lecturing." You're also rather rude to assume that anyone who doesn't agree with your point of view has "meager brainwaves."

No one attacked Ms. Yeager's character and, for heaven's sake, it's just fashion we're discussing, not nuclear war. Volatile personalities like yours are why many of us prefer to remain anonymous!

 

Blogger EDF said ... (1:39 PM) : 

My first, honest-to-God thought was "How overdressed."

It's true; I thought all the layers and everything that's going on made her look like a hobo at first. But closer inspection revealed the Clara Bow lips and the ballet pumps and all the little - and big - things thrown in and I decided to love this woman's style.

It may also have helped that the picture is in black and white. I have a feeling that that greatly flattered her dressing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:21 PM) : 

For many years, I used to see Lynn on the street. (She worked near where I live). I had no idea who she was but I was always enthralled by her way of dressing, very unique. When I finally realized she was "Lynn Yeager" I was floored! In a way, it was a disappointment, because now her look made sense, whereas before she was just a fascinating mystery. For those of you who think Lynn's look would not be admired if "you didn't know who she was", I say: phooey! You must not live in New York City. WE live for people who dress with this much style, famous or not.

 

Anonymous davidsl said ... (7:11 PM) : 

i really don't get the praise. i don't know the woman or her work. based on this photo...yikes. bag lady chic? it really looks odd, and i live in san francisco where odd is normal.

as my grandmother used to say, "it's a look"!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:39 PM) : 

A fantastic look and an even better picture - photographing that Lanvin-bag in front of a graffitied wall - and all black and white is just sooo clever!

Great!

 

Blogger Lisa Peterson said ... (8:03 PM) : 

wonderful style. thank you for posting. how can i be a writer and have never heard of HER? i just read an article saying she was laid off from The Village Voice after 30 years. it seems to be their loss...great bag!

 

Anonymous 'tine said ... (1:07 AM) : 

Dear Anonymous,

You said, " if you saw those costumes on a woman walking down the street, you would be appalled. What hypocrisy".

It was precisely her look that originally drew me to her and prompted me to think "Who is this woman? I must find out more!" If I had had the privilege of seeing her walking down the street, I would have thought, "I'd love to hang out with her."

I suggest you read the piece she wrote 5 years ago for the NY Times Magazine, "Doll Face" for a better understanding of why many people would be drawn to Lynn Yaeger or an individual who would dress with the zest and flair of someone like Lynn.

 

Blogger  said ... (5:12 AM) : 

Funny...it's the second post where i didn't like the style...i wrote it and my messages are not validated.
Wow ! Don't tell me you validate only positive words ?

 

Blogger Liz said ... (6:46 AM) : 

I really like your use of black and white in this photo, it really emphasizes the texture and layers of the fabrics she's wearing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:02 AM) : 

MARAVILLOSA!!!!!

 

Blogger megkeen said ... (3:22 PM) : 

I saw her at Angélina last time I was in Paris and she, of course, looked just as brilliant in person as she always does in print. There's really no one else like her.

 

Anonymous Dayna said ... (12:03 PM) : 

Magnificent! Reminds me of Lautrec for some reason. And that fur! What is that? It's so full and lush.

 

Anonymous Lucinha said ... (11:02 AM) : 

elle a de la personnalité et le style, l'. aimée

 

Anonymous kellyjeanne said ... (12:36 PM) : 

I have been to NYC only twice, BOTH times I have seen her. Once in the Comme Des Garcon store and once on the street under High Line park (just last week!) She's pretty awesome. I wish my hair were straight because she's wearing my haircut.

 

Anonymous Palm Beach Vintage said ... (4:16 PM) : 

I hope she writes a book someday! I look forward to reading everything she writes!

http://www.palmbeachvintage.com
http://palmbeachvintageblog.blogspot.com

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting