This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

The Hunters, Vintage Photo Contest

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Saturday, April 17, 2010

The Hunters, Vintage Photo Contest

Here is my grandfather, Harry Walters. It was 1928 after a few months out in the mountains of Southern California on a hunting/mining trip.
-Carol

I am delighted to send in photos of my great grandmother Alta Phillips. Before she married, she moved to Hollywood and sewed the sleeves for the silent film star Lillian Gish. She was an amazing seamstress and sewed all her clothes and my grandmother's. My great grandfather was a chemist for a silver mine in Arizona and despite living out in the middle of nowhere, my great grandmother never let that stop her from being as fashionable as ever. Her husband would have her get all dressed up and then pose with his guns or a brace of pheasants. For me, she is truly a style inspiration. She didn't have to live in any major city, but she had such true class. She also passed on her love of sewing to my grandmother who then passed it on to my mother. I only hope I can continue the tradition!
-Chloe

Comments on "The Hunters, Vintage Photo Contest"

 

Anonymous Steve said ... (8:48 AM) : 

I am loving the vintage photo series. Beautiful photos.

Carol and Chloe, if you have other vintage pics of your grandparents out hunting, if would love to see them.

My email address is on this page:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/contact/

Kind regards,

Steve

 

Anonymous The Photodiarist said ... (8:59 AM) : 

Harry Walters looks like Ernest Hemmingway in that shot. Love the lasst photo too. Such a great photo with the black umbrella and pure white dress. Gorgeous.

 

Blogger James Gerrard said ... (9:16 AM) : 

keep the photos coming... they inspire me.

u have the best photo collective

http://boyfromnewy.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Brightside said ... (9:47 AM) : 

i'm in love with these pictures :)

Brightside

 

Blogger Jonathan Burton said ... (10:00 AM) : 

Nice font change. The top one is remarkably Hemingwayesque.

 

Anonymous Flyer London said ... (10:16 AM) : 

Those are great pictures that you have managed to rescue!

 

Blogger Karena said ... (10:45 AM) : 

Priceless, and yes the very first thing I thought was Ernest Hemingway. What a grand style your grandparents had. Thank you, thank you!

Karena
Art by Karena

 

Blogger Marcela A. said ... (11:30 AM) : 

Her boots are gorgeous!

Beautiful pictures..

 

Blogger burgundy lips said ... (11:54 AM) : 

In love with your blog!
Kiss!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:15 PM) : 

Oh my... a stunning woman!

 

Blogger TheStreetFashion5xpro said ... (12:25 PM) : 

lovely vintage picts

 

Blogger Judith Ross said ... (12:34 PM) : 

OMG Chloe, those photos of your great grandmother take my breath away! I can see that she had both style and gumption.

Thanks to you and to The Sartorialist for sharing!

 

Blogger FASHION SNAG said ... (12:45 PM) : 

I love these hunter photos! This is the best contest ever.

www.FashionSnag.com

 

Anonymous Marlené Lilianna said ... (12:48 PM) : 

Wonderful story (and photographs too)!





http://marlenelillianna.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:48 PM) : 

i love it ç

http://bulbizar.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger miss.hype and bright said ... (2:03 PM) : 

Love the white dress and the umbrella.

What wonderful photos!

 

Blogger Comme Coco said ... (2:03 PM) : 

Great photos! I love the woman! That's just a piece of history right there.

www.commecoco.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:05 PM) : 

What kind of hat is that, in the man's hand?

All brilliant.

 

Blogger kika rocha said ... (2:25 PM) : 

I love this contest and the simple lessons on life that these images bring to us. Keep them coming!

 

Anonymous an oh said ... (2:35 PM) : 

what i notice about great style, from the past and present, is that it's really about the earnestness and genuineness that is expressed in who they are without the pomposity of "effort!" i mean we all try at looking good or the way we want to portray ourselves, but from fur to mixed plaids and stripes it's all really about personalities and how they exemplify that via "fashion." trend is dead, and i don't really think style is something one can train or learn to do...because true style is original in it's purest form...well, that's what i think anyway...

 

Blogger Ashley said ... (3:31 PM) : 

i'm in love with these pictures :)
http://www.myfacehunter.com

 

Anonymous men's t-shirts said ... (4:41 PM) : 

Another lovely collection here!

 

Anonymous men's t-shirts said ... (4:41 PM) : 

Lovely collection!

 

Blogger Modiste Madness said ... (4:55 PM) : 

He is quite the handsome rugged individualist.

She is lovely.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:12 PM) : 

Can't believe the quality of the photography in these last two... Keep looking at that fabulous casual skirt suit with the toggles. And the hats hats hats. Bring back the hat!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:00 PM) : 

Harry Walter's portrait is beautiful. It makes you know how his hands look like - with a callus here and there, metal smelling, earthy. You can imagine his voice, the form of his calf, the jokes he laughs about, the stories he can tell about his trip now. I guess that is what makes photos become memories.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:26 PM) : 

I love the story behind your photos Chloe. Your great grand mother is very beautiful...esp in the white dress/ parasol photo.

 

Blogger Chloe Daley said ... (1:14 AM) : 

Hi Scott! Thank you so much for posting my photos! It was a pleasure seeing them with Harry Walters. Love his boots!
It absolutely MADE my day (and all the women in my family!)
-Chloe

http://chloedaley.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger bird of light said ... (8:17 AM) : 

I absolutely Love the photo, and entire outfit worn here by Chloe's great grandmother Alta Phillips. Great name, too by the way! ..Enviable dress sense and true class, the second photo I speak of. Boots, dress flowing yet crisp, her expression - such expression!.. Hat, earrings, and umbrella, if I lived then, she is the sort of woman I would marry (if I were a man) :)

 

Blogger Jenn said ... (1:31 AM) : 

she is a beautiful person in the pic. just remember sewing is as much of an art as painting or writing. it takes talent, time, and patience!

 

Anonymous Torinostyle said ... (4:46 AM) : 

They look just like Ernest Hemingway during a big game shooting. I love this style!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:25 PM) : 

Of all the wonderful pictures I have seen on over the past few years on this site - I was so amazed at your great grandmother's picture (namely the one in the white dress) that I set it as my computer background! She reminds me of Baroness Blixen in "Out of Africa". It was wonderful thank you for sharing it with us.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:44 PM) : 

are you sure that first photo is vintage??

 

Blogger Scott said ... (1:28 PM) : 

Wow, I think I might be related to Alta Phillips too. Hi Chloe.

 

Blogger palhyn said ... (1:06 AM) : 

very Inspiring coming here from the East Side of the globe. you gave me another perpective.

 

Anonymous Brodie said ... (2:42 AM) : 

I love the Winchester 1895 in the first shot. An iconic firearm like that adds so much to it!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting