This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Worlds Collide!

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, March 22, 2010

Worlds Collide!


When I opened the new Italian Vogue my mouth almost dropped to the floor.

New York's own Rodeo Bar & Grill featured in an editorial shot by Steven Meisel!

You don't understand, I have been going over to 27th and 3rd Avenue regularly (almost weekly!) for 20 years. They have the best fajitas in New York, without question, and I might add, a very good frozen margarita.

Actually the first time Carine Roitfeld called and offered me an assignment I was around the corner from Rodeo so I went there to celebrate. I sat almost exactly where Agnyess is the photo below.

Garance also loves this place, it's represents real Americana to her, a bit of Texas right here in Manhattan. It also happens to be right around the corner from The Lexington Avenue Armory where Marc Jacobs fashion shows are held so we try to make it to Rodeo before or after the show, it's now become a fashion week tradition.

So do yourself a favor. The next time you want great Tex-Mex try Rodeo Bar & Grill, it is in no way fashionable, but I guarantee you will have a great time.

If you want great AND fashionable Mexican food try Rocking Horse Cafe on 8th Ave at 19th Street. It is the local restaurant I eat at the most when I'm home in New York and everything is perfect, including the margaritas.

Comments on "Worlds Collide!"

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:28 PM) : 

F A V O L O S O O O O O O O O !!!!!!!



http://louis-myfashionshow.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:30 PM) : 

Wow! So sexy and so obviously having a good time. She looks a bit like a young Liv Tyler.

 

Blogger bird of light said ... (7:07 PM) : 

very cool photos

 

Blogger Fly said ... (7:13 PM) : 

Ciao, I discovered your blog only this night (in Italy): I love it! It is amazing, funny, and pictures are really beautiful.
WoW!
Baci!

 

Anonymous Singapore Short Stories said ... (7:19 PM) : 

Great post!

 

Blogger SaraKateSwan said ... (7:22 PM) : 

Thanks for the tips! Just moved to New York & im desperately searching for the best sushi in town...any ideas??!?

Definitely gonna try those two places x

www.beautifulstreets.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous fashionista:london said ... (7:30 PM) : 

Well, I'll be in NYC at the end of April so those recommendations from one of my favourite New Yorkers are definitely going in my guide book ... :o)

 

Blogger davidikus said ... (7:30 PM) : 

I realised one or two years ago that the best fashion editorials from Condé Nast no longer come from Vogue US but Vogue France & Vogue Italy.

I feel vindicated by your post!

Thanks for sharing.

<a href="http://davidikus.blogspot.com/”>http://davidikus.blogspot.com/</a>

 

Blogger Justine said ... (7:36 PM) : 

aggy looks so great!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:59 PM) : 

Love it!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:10 PM) : 

Just loved!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:13 PM) : 

I don't 'get' Agness Deyn. Maybe I'm just old.

 

Blogger Delaney said ... (8:41 PM) : 

Even without your writeup, I'd want to check out this place. They look like they're having such a good time. Great post!

http://alainloveschloe.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Meeg said ... (8:47 PM) : 

WHO are these cowboys?!?!

 

Blogger the goorgeous said ... (9:03 PM) : 

I really can't wait to go! I love this kind of places, athentic, real, and with that delightfull food and ambient! Next time I come to manhattan i will stop by Rodeo! ;)

 

Blogger May Brady said ... (9:19 PM) : 

Love it when things like this happen!

...and thanks for the NY eats tips.

http://maybrady.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous HONEYBEEANDME said ... (9:25 PM) : 

IS THAT THE PLACE WHERE IN THE 80'S I WOULD GO AND SEE GIRLS DANCING ON THE BAR?????

LOADS OF FUN AND IF YOU DO NOT COOK A PLACE TO HANG YOUR HAT "WHERE EVERYBODY KNOWS YOUR NAME"


XXOO
MELISSA

 

Blogger Brigadeiro said ... (9:25 PM) : 

Tex-mex = YUM!

This place looks fab! Hope I make it to NYC this year, if so, will surely check this place out!

 

Blogger kathrynnova said ... (9:31 PM) : 

i've never been there, sadly. i'll have to make a point to get over there.

i loved that editorial too - but then again, i swoon whenever i see daphne guinness!

worldrunway.blogspot.com

 

Blogger D said ... (9:34 PM) : 

I love the Rocking Horse Cafe. Simply great and funny enough, the first restaurant I went to in my first day in the city.

 

Anonymous Susan V. said ... (9:42 PM) : 

I live right on 29th st. and while I've been there only once or twice, it's been a lot of fun and for some reason cannot make it again. Maybe because I'm so close to it :)

 

Blogger Copious Couture said ... (9:47 PM) : 

I totally made a note of this place for the next time I'm in NYC... love this post!!! Very personable!

http://copiouscouture.blogspot.com

Carissa

 

Blogger Gary said ... (9:52 PM) : 

Sexy, dirty, spontaneous, american, mythical, joyfull, hype, naughty, just great. I love that. And thanks for the tips !

 

Anonymous ashleyran said ... (10:55 PM) : 

Being from Texas, I can testify...it's REALLY hard to find good mexican food in NY. Watery salsa and margaritas everywhere you turn!! i'll have to try this place out! Thanks!

www.thephotogramps.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Daphne said ... (10:56 PM) : 

When it comes to food, I LOVE unfashionable. I love texas-style. I love it. These pictures are sooooo cool it hurts.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:07 PM) : 

TexMex outside of Texas can't be that good... ;)

 

Blogger FASHION SNAG said ... (11:22 PM) : 

Fabulous photos. It looks like such a good place. Thanks for sharing! I will definitely be hitting it up. xo

www.FashionSnag.com

 

Blogger KohCo said ... (12:25 AM) : 

Oh it's like a glorious slice of Americana.
Sexy in a really kind of gonzo, guilty indulgence way

http://kohandco.blogspot.com

xx

 

Anonymous princess glee said ... (1:00 AM) : 

Yee haw! Cowboys are such manly men. Never noticed tatoos on them, wonder if they're into the tats.

 

Blogger The Sluice Box said ... (1:01 AM) : 

I'd never have guessed those images were taken in NYC. I would have figured the location was in the southwest, with cactus and tumbleweeds right outside the front door.

www.thesluicebox.com

 

Blogger Mr. Andy said ... (1:19 AM) : 

Vivace!

http://thestyledocument.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Yeji Jun said ... (1:35 AM) : 

love this post!


http://beautyfuse.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Ian said ... (1:46 AM) : 

I'll be in NYC soon. I'll have to check out the Rodeo B&G for sure. I live in Phoenix, so I'll let you know how the Fajitas and Margaritas hold up!
cheers!

 

Blogger MAC said ... (1:50 AM) : 

i love Agnyess so much!! these r amazing photos! gorgeous!

 

Blogger Liz S said ... (2:52 AM) : 

To me Agyness (sp?) can do no wrong.
How does she manage to fit into ANY setting and fashion style so perfectly??

Great little write up there Sart!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:17 AM) : 

I travelled a lot. my experience taught me that local shops, bars and other hidden gems, usually hidden from the big wide world (not to mention Lonely Planet) are the only places where uniqueness/richness of particular culture or society remains unspoiled by this globalization crapitos. unfortunately these are also the places I've got the biggest diarrhea episodes in my life ;-)
but it was always worth it.

 

Blogger AnAzevedo said ... (4:01 AM) : 

great photos, Aggy and the guys look great!

 

Blogger TheStreetFashion5xpro said ... (4:57 AM) : 

i love country style

 

Blogger SabinePsynopsis said ... (5:30 AM) : 

Amazing pictures. But it's a tiny, tiny bit annoying when one of your favourite hang-out places suddenly becomes very popular, no? The owners will be delighted though.

 

Blogger Karoline said ... (7:36 AM) : 

Sounds nice, love the pictures!

 

Anonymous Dana said ... (7:41 AM) : 

It looks like a really fun, unpretentious and delicious eatery! I love tex-mex.

 

Blogger Izzen said ... (8:31 AM) : 

Looks like so much fun!

http://izzenxoxo.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous THE BLAST said ... (9:33 AM) : 

I love this photoshoot! I'm always looking for one that catch my attention. Ads are boring now so I count on magazines to bring something new and original to the table. This one, I love. It's fun and feels natural.

http://the-blast.over-blog.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:37 AM) : 

very consistent with italian vogue.
there has been a fascination with the 'wild west' and things weatern for years in that publication. ( there were editorials done in the early 90's shot on location out west.)
by the same token open british vogue and somewhere there will be a comment or article or editorial about the hamptons.

it's interesting in a way, about how we are perhaps some things american are seen as exotic to the european community.

 

Blogger klaz said ... (9:47 AM) : 

I mean, why are the cowboys drinking vodka? Other than that, great photo!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:09 AM) : 

Rodeo Bar has great food but also GREAT music from national touring acts...alt-country, americana, roots rock. Its one of the only clubs in NYC that pay musicians and keep the music free for the customers (no door charge), so you can eat Tex Mex and hear music like Rosie Flores, Demolition String Band, etc.

 

Blogger Nadine2point0 said ... (10:19 AM) : 

I love that you got so excited and nostalgic about the locale of this photo shoot. I'll be in NY in a couple of months and will make it a point to have a margarita and toast you and your blog.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:36 AM) : 

Will put this on my go-to list for NYC when I'll be there(hopefully)! thanks! :)

 

Blogger chula said ... (11:13 AM) : 

she is really chula;-))
great location

 

Blogger stephanie_press said ... (11:22 AM) : 

Davidikus - so true! Very much more imagination in the sister publications, I think.

 

Blogger Christina said ... (11:38 AM) : 

Rodeo Bar...too funny. Been there a million times. Great photos!

fridayswithcilantro.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:40 AM) : 

They used to serve Shiner Bock, which is truly authentic, but I guess it was too hard for them to get it.
Stil a fantastic place.

 

Blogger Meg said ... (11:51 AM) : 

This is where I met Chris Farley many many a year ago now, it was one of his favorites too.

 

Blogger rjchamplin said ... (12:16 PM) : 

LOVE RODEO!! live on the block and very sexy bar man that, like me, originated in Oklahoma! great place--great food

 

Blogger Aesthete No 1 said ... (12:48 PM) : 

I'm so happy that you love Rodeo Bar, too! It's so hard for me to get my friends to go to Murray Hill, but Rodeo is worth it. I had my birthday there last year and everyone agreed that the party was a hit.

 

Blogger Maria said ... (12:58 PM) : 

those photos are super fun!

 

Anonymous Marisa said ... (1:42 PM) : 

I think it is always really adorable to see a non-American take on American culture, the funny way that Europeans, for example, romanticize cowboys and the wild west. Going to western-style bars in New York is sort of similar, and they are even more irresistable for their lack of pretense. They are like islands of non-pretentiousness in an otherwise very savvy and sophisticated city.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:40 PM) : 

Gorgeous, fun photos. My husband and I saw a rockabilly band one night there a couple of years ago. Drank a pre-mixed margarita from a machine. Big mistake. It was super strong and I got sooooooo sick.
Anyway, love that place. Used to work nearby back in early 90s. Now live in St. Louis.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:58 PM) : 

Wow, I'm having my own worlds-colliding moment, as I also frequent Rodeo. Perhaps we've crunched on the same peanut shells...

 

Blogger Joana said ... (4:19 PM) : 

PERFEITO!

 

Blogger The Nooner Assistant said ... (5:14 PM) : 

That's right in my old hood. I love that place!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:42 PM) : 

Yes I need to know who these handsome cowboys are!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:23 PM) : 

if it wasnt fashionable before i guess that's over.

 

Blogger Sareena Khera said ... (8:27 PM) : 

OMG I lived a block from here for two years and only went once on a super drunken night! what a great photo shoot!

 

Blogger animal world said ... (10:17 PM) : 

What a flashback. I used to go to The Rodeo B&G many years ago. Good to know it is still there. Will have to stop back in. Thanks for the memory-jolt.

 

Anonymous sj said ... (10:22 PM) : 

i love this photo shoot and i love rodeo bar!

myembellishedlife.wordpress.com

 

Blogger parisgirl said ... (11:34 PM) : 

there is something so ruggedly appealing about cowboys...these two look weathered enough to be the real thing...an evocative photo shoot.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:23 AM) : 

I've just recently come across your blog and I've enjoyed what I've seen. I have been to the Rodeo Bar many times, the food is pretty tasty. I have seen a few energetic performances there.After living in Texas for several years I can't really concur on the "bit of Texas in Manhattan" statement but I suppose if one hasn't been there's enough there to fit the fantasy. I like Meisel as a shooter and it's always lovely to see NY locales and backgrounds they always have so much flavor and atmosphere. It has an even greater significance and visceral excitement for NY'ers. Thanks for featuring this and I look forward to your future posts.

 

Blogger Carlotta said ... (10:03 AM) : 

Merci ! Je vais essayer en mai alors... sous le soleil ! Always nice to have good places !!

 

Anonymous Leah B. said ... (5:42 PM) : 

I live right around the corner from the less-than-fashionable-but-kick-ass Rodeo bar. You and Garance should call me next time you're grabbing margs and fajitas!

 

Blogger suzan tokgöz said ... (9:06 PM) : 

wooww ı like hats,I want to wear hats

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:34 PM) : 

I love Rodeo Bar. I work nearby and have been going there for years. Margaritas and free peanuts - how can you go wrong?

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:43 PM) : 

I love Rodeo! I live a few blocks south of there and love the fajitas too! I have to pick up italian vouge.

 

Anonymous New York Experience said ... (5:57 AM) : 

Excellent photos, thanks for sharing.

 

Anonymous enterrement de vie de garcon said ... (5:31 PM) : 

Nice pictures.
Lilou

 

Blogger Jess Snell said ... (10:14 AM) : 

I LOOOOVE the Rodeo Bar - my fave place in NYC, great music every night too. I'm just a honky-tonk girl at heart.

 

Anonymous karylle said ... (12:23 PM) : 

wield 2x west i love watching guys with a rodeo suits

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting