This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

The Shot, Vintage Photo Contest

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Friday, March 26, 2010

The Shot, Vintage Photo Contest


May I introduce you to my Texas Grandma, Charlene Beck, I liken her in my mind to a cross between Rosie the Riveter and Bonnie Parker. This image of her was taken in the 1950's on a road trip from Texas to Tennessee by my Papa, Henry Beck, whom you can see in the reflection of the mirror. What is so inspirational about this image goes beyond the fabulous sense of style my grandmother had (and has still very much to this day). I mean, how cute does she look in her cuffed pants and rolled up sleeves with the scarf sweeping her shoulder?! If you look deeper you'll realize she is a woman in the 50's wearing men's jeans, something women did not do in small town USA back then. She was a style trailblazer, not letting the fact she is a woman stop her from wearing what she wants, when she wants. The outfit in present day is not shocking but I think we can still appreciate her sense of style and take inspiration in that freedom she so boldly stood for back then with what we choose to wear today. Just a side note on this photograph — if you ask my Grandma about it she likes to point out the fact that she's at least drinking milk so no one gets the impression she's as bad as she looks... I think anyone can see why she is my hero.

I found this image packed away in my grandfather's army trunk along with old valentines, pictures of Europe, his family on the farm and mementos from his life after he passed away in the 90's.


ps keep the photos comong. Almost 800 enteries now.
All weekend I will be posting more images from the contest.

Comments on "The Shot, Vintage Photo Contest"

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:35 PM) : 

What an inspirational woman!
x

 

Blogger Mafalda said ... (6:37 PM) : 

This image is beautiful. If I had a grandmother like your´s, she would be my hero to :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:37 PM) : 

Is that a gun? :)
Tough girl.

http://iamako.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:41 PM) : 

beautiful! I love old photos!

visit/follow: http://wheresthegoodgonegirl.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:41 PM) : 

wow. bad. ass.

 

Anonymous Cxx said ... (6:44 PM) : 

I have never commented on a post before, but after seeing this photograph I felt utterly compelled to! This is so infinitely chic and beautiful, truly stylish. A glorious shot. I do hope you win, because in your Grandma I think I may have just found my new style icon.

 

Blogger Caroline, No. said ... (6:44 PM) : 

That is so bad-ass cool. I'm entering my Grandad. :) I'll email tomorrow. (To add to the 800!) If this is anything to go by, I love this contest!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:53 PM) : 

I honestly don't think it will get any better.

The woman who wrote this - and the grandmother are amazing. She explains it so wel...

It is all in the attitude. This is something you have. Not something you can learn.

This should be one of the winners.

Too bad the cigarette was not lit. The smoke would have been extra cool.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:00 PM) : 

That's an awesome photo, your grandma looks very cool!!

 

Blogger cmbh said ... (7:07 PM) : 

amazing, made my day x

 

Blogger Allison said ... (7:12 PM) : 

That is FANTASTIC!

 

Anonymous elena Zichon said ... (7:12 PM) : 

fabulous and just fantastic! what a woman! you are so lucky, having such a heritage! We know now! looking forward for another images of your brave and stylish ancestors.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:16 PM) : 

DAZZLING....COULD BE FROM ANY FASIHION SHOOT TODAY.....THE PROPS..OVER THE TOP..ESPECIALLY BECAUSE YOU KNOW NONE OF IT WAS INTENTIONAL....BUT THE 'STARTLED' LOOK CARNIVAL CAT LOOKING OVER HER FABULOUSNESS' SHOULDER...WELL THAT'S JUST "THE CAT'S MEOOOOOOWWW!

I LOVE HOW THE GRAND DAUGTER IN HER LOVELY CAPTION DOES NOT EVEN MENTION THE OBVIOUS...THE GUN..POINTED AT PAPA.

DEAR SCOTT AND GARANCE, ONCE AGAIN, YOU'VE DONE IT...I FEEL A WHOLE NEW GENRE/FAB BIZ DEVELOPING FOR YOU OUT OF THIS BRILLIANT/HEARTFELT IDEA!

LOOK FOR US TOO...ANITA AND ANNABELLA CIRCA 1954...MY SISTER AND I HAVE HAD SUCH FUN ACROSS THE MILES PUTTING OUR ENTRY TOGETHER AND GABBING ABOUT THESE AMAZING FIRST 2 ENTRIES AND THEIR STORIES. OUR DAD, H'ART, 84 WHO TOOK OUR ENTRY PHOTO W/ HIS BROWNIE IS GRAVELY ILL NOW, AND THIS CONTEST IS ONE OF THE FEW 'HAPPY' THINGS GOING ON FOR US NOW. BLESS YOU AND GARANCE AND ALL ENTRANTS, FOR THESE WONDERFUL TENDER MERCIES!! ANNABELLA AND ANITA

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:21 PM) : 

Congratulations, your Grandmother is the coolest Grandma I have ever seen. I always thought mine was, but you win! What a character and how stunning. I love this image, it is amazing!

 

Blogger la señorita said ... (7:25 PM) : 

Que abuela mas moderna!!!
Me encanta, se la ve fuerte y decidida.
un saludo

 

Blogger Cee said ... (7:31 PM) : 

Um. While I love the photograph and the idea behind it, I have to tell you that those ARE NOT men's jeans. Jeans were wore by women from the war onward, as EXTREME casual wear for around the home or for outdoor wear. The zipper for women's jeans was located in the pocket on the hip, while for men is has always been in the front...for obvious functionality purposes. The jeans she is wearing have a straight seam up the front, no fly, no zipper = women's jeans.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:33 PM) : 

Totally badass

 

Anonymous cygnette commitee said ... (7:41 PM) : 

I have never commented before either, but the photo of this amazing woman should win the contest. so sexy and tough and amazing. wearing jeans? with a gun, a cigerette and a glass of milk? what could be more amazing?

 

Anonymous Meredith said ... (7:41 PM) : 

This is my first comment on a photograph as well... Fabulous photo... Fabulous idea for a context. Thanks!

 

Blogger the exhausted etiquette (kirstine) said ... (7:44 PM) : 

seriously badace!
...I think the quarter full cup of milk is
one of the best parts.

xx

 

Blogger Lisa Petrarca said ... (7:44 PM) : 

She definitely looks like a woman to be reckoned with! Great photo.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:11 PM) : 

I think I will never be as awesome as this photo is.

 

Blogger FASHION SNAG said ... (8:12 PM) : 

Great photo! She is so pretty. I love how she pointed out the milk glass to prove she isn't as bad as she looks. She has great style! xo

www.FashionSnag.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:18 PM) : 

This post is beautiful.

 

Blogger The Cripple said ... (8:19 PM) : 

She's looks mad boss

 

Blogger Maia said ... (8:32 PM) : 

She's awesome. What an ancestor!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:32 PM) : 

No wonder you are so cool.....smiles.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:32 PM) : 

WOW!! So free & idependent, and very refreshing!

 

Blogger Anastasia said ... (8:32 PM) : 

i love this competition idea - hope to enter too!!
Hey what about a book with all the cool vintage images, i adore vintage pictures!!!

 

Anonymous claire matheson said ... (9:02 PM) : 

This should win...what a beautiful picture! Such a dynamic to it, it really captures the imagination!

 

Blogger Ashley Reese said ... (9:11 PM) : 

What a beautiful, expressive photo. I can just imagine the countless stories that can be told with it.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:14 PM) : 

This image is amazing!!!!!

 

Anonymous fashionweed said ... (9:15 PM) : 

i love this.

 

Blogger Cristina said ... (9:15 PM) : 

and what about the gun??? I want to hear it...

 

Blogger John Taylor said ... (9:17 PM) : 

wow!… good genes

 

Anonymous Persephone said ... (9:24 PM) : 

The idea of milk and a cigarette is a little gross and a little awesome

 

Blogger K said ... (9:25 PM) : 

absolutely epic post and woman.

 

Anonymous levelcap said ... (9:28 PM) : 

what an amazing photo of an incredible woman! i love her style and how it reflects her attitude. but i'm not sure if i should be heartened or saddened that such images of strong women seem to be universally lauded while your earlier post of strong men wearing skirts drew a significant amount of knee-jerk disgust. seems that men could benefit from some liberation themselves.

 

Blogger Kym said ... (9:30 PM) : 

I love this picture....truly a classy woman!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:31 PM) : 

so beautiful!

you should check out the webstite

myparentswereawesome.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:43 PM) : 

Like a scene out of Breathless by Godard.

 

Anonymous Roses said ... (9:55 PM) : 

Amazing! What style an incredible style.

 

Blogger MAC said ... (10:02 PM) : 

she look so beautiful and it's a fantastic picture!! i always love black&white photo from my parents or grandparents that r great inspiration sample!

 

Blogger Oli said ... (10:18 PM) : 

that is amazing- I love the viscera of cigarettes and milk.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:29 PM) : 

Super cool. This is perfection. Evokes a whole story with an amazing character.... My favorite part i think is the strong hand and wrist holding the gun. Um, why does she have a gun? The scarf, the down-turned pout... with lipstick. What kind of belt is that? Look at that china dog! And the clock! And the legs, akimbo... that's why she's wearing jeans... so she can sit like this. She is super strong, i love her.

 

Blogger by LIZA RAMLI said ... (10:40 PM) : 

She definitely had Attitude. I thought it was a current well art directed well posed retro shot. She'd fit right in today and put lots of people to shame.

 

Blogger Helen said ... (10:44 PM) : 

Isn't it ironic that whilst admiring her gutsy expression of feminine power and liberty, which she makes through her choice of clothes and pose, you continuously picture women in cripplingly high heels and miniskirts?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:16 PM) : 

well, what the hell is she pointing a gun at your grandfather for?

anyway. her style is pretty fantastic.

 

Anonymous The Photodiarist said ... (11:51 PM) : 

Oh my god! This one is just brilliant!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:27 AM) : 

dude... your grandmother is hot.

 

Blogger caterine said ... (12:47 AM) : 

amazing!! this could be a Tarantino image! congrats. You inspired me to take a look at my grandma´s pics!

 

Blogger i.c. blogspot said ... (1:21 AM) : 

What a fantastic photo, I love it!

 

Blogger Crazy across the Atlantic said ... (1:32 AM) : 

awsome blog
fantastic shots

we've just started a blog
check us out and tell us what you think

http://crazyacrosstheatlantic.blogspot.com/

be cheerful :)

 

Blogger Debbie said ... (1:42 AM) : 

The cat statue is quite amazed at Charlene also.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:46 AM) : 

I wonder if she remembers the moment this photo was taken...

http://aswimminghorse.blogspot.com

 

Blogger reindeer said ... (5:17 AM) : 

This image is incredible. I like her and respect her free spirits.

 

Blogger Diane said ... (5:29 AM) : 

This woman is adorable! I love her! It's great why she did in those times!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:42 AM) : 

fabulous photo and an amazing woman! i would have loved to have a grandma like her. inspirational.

 

Anonymous gih said ... (6:18 AM) : 

Well, that's great. Perfect vintage photo style.

 

Anonymous denparser said ... (6:27 AM) : 

I like the style too. seems it would really worth for. ;-)

 

Anonymous Marina said ... (6:41 AM) : 

wow!!
I'm so curious to see her now!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:42 AM) : 

She looks very tough and beautiful.This shor really reminds my of Bonnie and Cylde.A Roadtrip and a gun.

 

Blogger ........................................... said ... (9:56 AM) : 

wow Charlene.. loving the set and I love that she's had her milk. this woman knows what she is doing and look so beautiful at doing it. congratulations.

 

Blogger Maggie said ... (10:34 AM) : 

She is incredible. Thank you for sharing these entries with us.

 

Blogger khdz said ... (10:37 AM) : 

wow. she totally looks like she's living in a movie.
bonnie and clyde is also what comes to mind for me.

 

Anonymous Isadora said ... (12:35 PM) : 

I love this one! that's something in her that reminds me of Audrey Hepburn, maybe it's something about natural grace

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:36 PM) : 

What a classic!

 

Blogger Jesslyn said ... (12:44 PM) : 

She's fantastic!! Femininity, sass, moxie, strength, subtlety... all in one photo.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:51 PM) : 

i absolutely love this!!!

 

Blogger M_Lynx said ... (1:49 PM) : 

What a great picture, and what a neat lady...an inspiration! Thank you so much for sharing! :-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:03 PM) : 

wow! amazing.

 

Blogger Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said ... (5:11 PM) : 

Wow, just wow. What a photo! This could be some fashion editorial. Modern day fashion editorial. Wow!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:47 PM) : 

thank you for these pictures, finally I get some inspiration from real people.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:02 PM) : 

The gun is a huge turn-off for me, it dominates from what is otherwise a stylish photo and hip gal. But guns (especially when used as props to signify "cool") just turn my stomach.

 

Blogger brrock said ... (10:42 PM) : 

honestly don't think she's pointing the gun at him,look at the relative size-distance cue in the reflection, and the angle of the barrel and the top of the mirror... no one who has much sense would do that even unloaded. Of course, she could say for sure.

This is weird, but I knew a blind girl in Tucson who had severe brain damage who looked so much like her... she was tough as nails, too. Same attitude. thanks for sharing this.

 

Blogger Heidi said ... (11:51 PM) : 

I think this is my favorite so far. She is gorgeous, and I just love the feel of the photo.

 

Blogger kevin said ... (11:51 PM) : 

Amazing photo... I just hope no one got hurt.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:10 AM) : 

There´s nothing like vintage, wish I could have born 50 years before!:)

 

Blogger MikeB said ... (10:10 AM) : 

I have looked over the other photos and found them all interesting. However, this one takes the prize. She is beautiful, untouchable, and has the "Don't mess with Texas" attitude down. Every time I look at the photograph something new jumps out at me. Great time capsule into the 1950's.

 

Anonymous Chanel said ... (11:26 AM) : 

I love the strength of this woman, you can feel it right through the photo!!

 

Anonymous Jamie Beck said ... (5:33 PM) : 

Hi, this is Jamie- the proud Granddaughter of the woman in this photograph-

I can't tell you how thrilled this makes me to see this image on your site and read through all the comments! I tell you, my family in Texas is hootin & hollerin about this! I called my Grandma last night after I emailed her the link to her photo on your site (yes my Grandma emails!) and got a little more information on the image. She remembers the photo being taken and her sister-in-law had one made identically which doesn't exist anymore. She says they were just "poor old kids" that took a road trip to Nashville and went to the Grand Ole Opry which back then cost 50 cents a person and all she remembers was "some old drunk threw up on my shoe." The heater in their car didn't work and it was snowing but my Grandma declared with a sigh, "Those were the days, when I was young.... then somehow I got old." She says she was about 19 in this photograph and married to my Papa who was home on military leave, which explains where the gun came from. I asked her if there was anything else she remembered about that night and she said yes, she wishes she would have had on her fringe jacket.

 

Blogger Michael D. said ... (5:55 PM) : 

hands down. the best.

 

Blogger sherene said ... (6:26 PM) : 

Someone mentioned Audrey Hepburn as a comparison to this tough and graceful lady - I agree, what natural beauty!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:23 PM) : 

Luv the picture of Charlene, I'm prejudice I was her neighbor for a few years us old gals just e-mail and talk occasionnaly and She is a wonderful woman the matriarch of the family, this photo should definately win. Good for you Jamie, Margaret G.

 

Anonymous Dana said ... (10:36 AM) : 

Amazing style and photo.

 

Anonymous Emily said ... (10:41 AM) : 

This is an amazing image. What a beautiful and bad-ass grandma!

 

Blogger Berto said ... (10:47 AM) : 

Loving this picture and all the contrasts - attitude and grace, softness and a cigarette, mens jeans on a woman - that represent what fashion and style are all about. Well done.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:54 AM) : 

Wow, wow, I mean seriously WOW.

 

Anonymous Jessica said ... (11:02 AM) : 

Most amazing shot up so far! Love it!

 

Blogger Daniella said ... (11:18 AM) : 

Love this shot!

 

Blogger stephschneider said ... (12:45 PM) : 

What a wonderful memory to capture. Great photo!

 

Blogger oz said ... (1:37 PM) : 

This is fantastic...LOVE it!

 

Blogger Prutha Raithatha said ... (2:25 PM) : 

this is hands down the best picture !!! i cant get over the milk glass!! just brilliant!!!

http://donotshoeme.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:22 PM) : 

Brings back memories of Bonnie and Clyde hidden out in a motel room, getting ready to rob another bank!

 

Blogger Cynthia said ... (6:02 PM) : 

Jamie you know I adore this photo of your grandma!!!! What a great story too!!!!!!!!!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:40 PM) : 

Love love love this! The perfect embodiment of a stylish 'broad'. Love the cuffed jeans! It's too funny to see that back in style right now!

 

Blogger LZ said ... (9:19 PM) : 

So far this is my absolute favorite. The way she's sitting, the gun, the cigarette, the pants, everything! I love that the granddaughter pointed out the class of milk. It's such a small detail, and I can just picture her saying, "I wasn't that tough... see, I was drinking a glass of milk!" Despite the milk, this woman is clearly a force to be reckoned with.

What a great contest!

 

Anonymous Susan said ... (9:58 PM) : 

Pure Americana. Totally cool & I never say that!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:26 AM) : 

I guess hotties become grandmas, too! This really makes you think about previous generations and how they had just as good a time as the rest of us. We tend to see history alternately through old fashioned and newfangled lenses, but young people in any era are still young people.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:11 PM) : 

Hands Down Best Shot, I Love it what a great to the past.

 

Blogger Leslie said ... (5:21 PM) : 

love this one! great contest!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:39 PM) : 

Wow! What an amazing piece of family history to hold and a stunning photo! Love the well articulated words too.

 

Anonymous chinathambi said ... (9:25 AM) : 

Nice post

 

Blogger Sophia L said ... (10:11 AM) : 

haha! I love the milk comment! she sounds like an amazing character, beautiful.

 

Anonymous Veronica said ... (6:08 PM) : 

This photo is hands-down fantastic. I think it deserves to win because of the attitude, the style, and the well-preserved moment. I'd love to have a print of this.

 

Blogger Edith Elin G.R. said ... (11:32 PM) : 

This photo makes feel Poweful and feminie at the same time that's so Freakin awesome <3

 

Blogger Melissa said ... (5:01 PM) : 

At first glance, I thought this was Barbara Stanwyck. I'll bet she got that a lot.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:10 PM) : 

wallet, cigarettes, and a tall glass of milk!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:12 AM) : 

She is amazing. I love her. Best photo ever.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:30 PM) : 

Yes, I think the Becks should win! This one is a super lady and I love and care about her and all those connected to her! Awesome picture!

 

Blogger Dusty Rose Vintage said ... (9:00 AM) : 

Wow, this picture is amazing in so many ways. It could easily be a staged modern fashion mag shot. I REALLY wish I had a picture of my grandmother like this!!! I'm off to look at the other vintage pics! xo

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting