This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Luna Park, Vintage Photo Contest

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Luna Park, Vintage Photo Contest

My Grandmother Nola (aged 19) 1931 on the eve of her engagement, at Luna Park Melbourne, Australia.
She lived to 97 and I never saw her wear pants ever!

Comments on "Luna Park, Vintage Photo Contest"

 

Blogger Daniel said ... (9:26 AM) : 

Wow! A really cool photo!
Love how the couple is dressed.
Let's grow up later

 

Blogger emilee said ... (9:30 AM) : 

If that's you're grandfather, you look just alike! I thought he was you for a second. Awesome picture. It's magical.

 

Blogger James Gerrard said ... (9:30 AM) : 

i love looking at photos of deceased grandparents and seeing how happy they were...she seems so cosy on that moon. i cannot wait to move down to melbourne in december and take photos at luna park.

http://boyfromnewy.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Dian Prad said ... (9:30 AM) : 

gorgeous grandma
she's wearing lace dress, wasn't she?
really nice picture, classic :)

Forever and Ever By Dian Prad

 

Anonymous costume jewellery uk said ... (9:32 AM) : 

Wow, so cool to have a photo like that of her.

 

Anonymous michael said ... (9:41 AM) : 

That's a great picture.

 

Blogger Comme Coco said ... (9:44 AM) : 

Awwww!!!!! TOO sweet!

 

Blogger NYC Fashionista said ... (9:53 AM) : 

Adorable! Love the jacket the guy is wearing.

 

Blogger ManicMolly said ... (10:05 AM) : 

awesome background! do you accept vintage photos from outsiders?

 

Blogger Izzen said ... (10:09 AM) : 

Haha, adorable. Really sweet photo.

http://izzenxoxo.blogspot.com

 

Blogger C. Anne said ... (10:15 AM) : 

She's gorgeous! Her outfit actually looks very modern, I'd love that long coat!

 

Blogger Aline Dahl said ... (10:21 AM) : 

omg. this picture is so lovely and the background is just amazing! love it!

 

Blogger Kirsten James Ferguson said ... (10:45 AM) : 

you've inspired me. my personal fashion icons

http://thriftwithoutlookinglikeit.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Kirsten James Ferguson said ... (10:46 AM) : 

you've inspired me. check out my personal fashion icons

http://thriftwithoutlookinglikeit.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Silvana said ... (11:04 AM) : 

Scott, I was so sure that was you. Looks so much alike. My Mum lived to be 92 and I also never saw her wear trousers.

 

Anonymous Pia said ... (11:11 AM) : 

Love the name Nola. Did you know it's the short form of Fionnula which is Gaelic/Irish and means "white shoulder" . So Scott FYI you have some Gaelic roots....Fab photo...

 

Blogger Iliana Hagenah said ... (11:11 AM) : 

I adore these old photos...inspires me to post some on my blog.

 

Blogger Tifftonians said ... (11:16 AM) : 

If that's your grandpa Scott, I gotta say that he's just like you pal.

seriously...

I know that because I've just bought "The Satorialist"... the book...

 

Blogger mariel said ... (11:35 AM) : 

i have a confession to make...everytime i see an update on your blog, i secretly wish it's a vintage photo update...THANK YOU for sharing (everyone) and you for posting! i wish i could see them all. :)

 

Blogger bonard alfin said ... (11:54 AM) : 

wow, thats awesome...
love it very much...nice share


please visit my blog, and give a comment right there :D
http://www.alfinku.co.cc/

 

Blogger FASHION SNAG said ... (12:01 PM) : 

Love this photo. They are such a cute couple. I like how she has her hair done and the dress and jacket she is wearing. x

www.FashionSnag.com

 

Blogger SabinePsynopsis said ... (12:10 PM) : 

There is so much charme and quality to these old pictures.

 

Blogger SLOmygosh said ... (12:22 PM) : 

Precious. She's so full of life and hope. And her coat is beautiful, love that oversized collar look of it falling over her shoulders. Thanks so much for sharing this.

 

Blogger Nedda Ebo said ... (12:47 PM) : 

What an adorable photo!
Mustart x

 

Blogger Christelle said ... (1:15 PM) : 

Beautiful picture! It reminds me my grandmother! :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:25 PM) : 

They just don't make 'em like this anymore. I wish they did...

 

Blogger Lemon for breakfast said ... (1:27 PM) : 

Really nice pic! :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:37 PM) : 

i love vintage pictures.. this is awesome..
love your blog!

http://hautecoutureestmort.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:49 PM) : 

You look like your grandfather!

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (2:25 PM) : 

I've never, NEVER seen my own mother wear pants.

I love this picture. I wish I could go back into time for a few days and take a 100 terabytes of pictures.

 

Blogger Lauren said ... (2:29 PM) : 

I love the way her hands and legs are posed. I love his jacket, hair, and 'stache. I love them. I hope those lovebirds lived happily ever after together.

 

Blogger Katarina Kühl ~ PencilFashion said ... (2:30 PM) : 

that's truly one of the most wonderful pictures i've seen in a long while! it's magical.

 

Blogger Initials.CC said ... (2:30 PM) : 

j'adore les vieilles photos !!


Des bisous de CELINE&CHARLOTTE

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:16 PM) : 

My favorite so far :)

 

Blogger Karena said ... (3:19 PM) : 

Wonderful image and memory of them...

I have an interview with artist Robert Anders up on my site that is fascinating!

Karena
Art by Karena

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:31 PM) : 

so cute ! with the stars and the moon. lovely couple.

http://bulbizar.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Yáskara Ferreira said ... (3:55 PM) : 

I can´t imagine make through the winter without pants! she was sure brave! :) lovely pic!

 

Blogger ZEPETIT said ... (4:00 PM) : 

So elegant!!!

Zepequeña.

 

Blogger ourbittle said ... (4:40 PM) : 

I absolutely love the cheesiness of their backdrop, not to mention their styles! I want a blazer like his to sport around, and her little lace number too! I am completely obsessed with the vintage photo contest. It's genius!

http://ourbittle.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous The Photodiarist said ... (5:38 PM) : 

Gorgeous. Love this contest . . .

 

Anonymous kagitsune said ... (6:56 PM) : 

It's too funny that I revisited your blog looking for pictures of striped club jackets, and there's one here on the first page!

I would love to see these come back in style. When done right, they're perfect example of quirky elegance. :D

-kagi

 

Anonymous NastaziaQ said ... (7:02 PM) : 

This photo worth a lot!Thank you for posting it:-)It put a smile on my face:-)

Love NastaziaQ

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:19 PM) : 

Beautiful people, beautiful generation. My grandmother lived to be 91 and I never saw her in pants. I recently unearthed some old photos of camping in California, circa 1960. Grandma was in pants, next to tent. Very sweet to see.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:35 PM) : 

People seem to have a lot of crossed wires going on here: It's not Scott's grandfather, it's a photo competition, people send in their photos, get it?
And it doesn't look anything like Scott, as far as I can tell.
How precious! I would also like to know if this is 'your' grandfather, whoever sent this in....

 

Blogger anna said ... (8:12 PM) : 

i'm from melbourne! sucha cool photo :)
http://dulcetoutcry.blogspot.com

 

Blogger natrebuck said ... (8:27 PM) : 

This is such a sweet vintage photo

http://exquisitusfashion.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:03 PM) : 

My favourite vintage photo so far. I just love everything about it.

 

Anonymous Ina said ... (9:39 PM) : 

Great. Somehow, it reminds me of the smashing pumpkins.

 

Anonymous greybreaks said ... (10:10 PM) : 

gorgeous.

 

Blogger Lisa Petrarca said ... (10:10 PM) : 

I love the feel of such a sweet and simpler time.

 

Anonymous Duke E. said ... (10:34 PM) : 

What a beautiful photo!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:46 PM) : 

such a sweet photo
i LOVE it



http://pieinmypants.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:47 AM) : 

I love you to the moon and back.

Darling!! xx's!
http://inspiredshannon.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:49 AM) : 

Saludos from Colombia!
Bonita foto!!

 

Anonymous Silvana said ... (1:55 AM) : 

I am so confused..I feel Scott looks like this gentleman,but the guy's comment above makes me think I am way off. Scott, please set the record straight ........Are they your grandparents? They look super anyway, but still think you look so much alike!!!

 

Blogger Diane said ... (3:29 AM) : 

Wow, great story!!

 

Blogger Kate said ... (3:38 AM) : 

I didn't know Luna Park was that old! I love the photo

http://leinamorata.blogspot.com

 

Blogger MELISSA Z. said ... (3:40 AM) : 

Best vintage photo ever! Congrats!

www.abitoffashion.com

 

Blogger Sara Lee Bentley said ... (3:51 AM) : 

This is so beautiful made even more so by the backstory that goes with it... a picture is worth a thousand words!

www.sarabbentley.blogspot.com

 

Blogger TheStreetFashion5xpro said ... (4:27 AM) : 

lovely contest

 

Blogger Sara said ... (5:03 AM) : 

beautiful shot! xx

 

Anonymous gih said ... (5:03 AM) : 

oh my! when it was taken? in fariness, they are photogenic.

 

Blogger Maria Ana said ... (5:16 AM) : 

I love their serene expression:)

 

Blogger Sista said ... (5:28 AM) : 

luna park is in Sydney..but yes they are the epitome of the era

 

Anonymous Stephanie Radion said ... (7:34 AM) : 

Thank-you so much for posting this. I have a similar photo of my grandmother taken at a similar time in her life. I'd completely forgotten about it, but your photo reminded me & brought back so many lovely memories of pouring over the family albumns as a child.

 

Anonymous Torinostyle said ... (7:36 AM) : 

Paper moon, just like the movie!
So romantic...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:39 AM) : 

Say, its only a paper moon
Sailing over a cardboard sea
But it wouldn't be make-believe
If you believed in me

Yes, it's only a canvas sky
Hanging over a muslin tree
But it wouldn't be make-believe
If you believed in me...

Thanks for the beauty!! Giovanna

 

Anonymous Gaynor Alder (The Modern Woman's Survival Guide) said ... (8:57 AM) : 

Oh, I heart this photo. I just adore vintage, and I love that it was taken at such an important and beautiful moment in her life - captured forever and now being celebrated here. You Granny Nola sounds like she had real style :)

 

Blogger Álvaro said ... (9:11 AM) : 

love the moon,

it´s kind of " Méliès" film

:)

 

Anonymous Christine said ... (9:16 AM) : 

That is such a precious image and a very handsome couple. I like the comment especially about never seeing your Grandmother wearing trousers. Only tonight I bagged up my last two pair of denims which have been gathering dust balls and will never ever wear a pair of jeans again. For me, they lapsed into the no-wear zone a few years back. Definitely an age thing for me, and I cringe when I see women about my age or over wearing them. Not sure why it bothers me but it does. It will (almost) be frocks only from here on in my wardrobe.

 

Blogger Signe said ... (9:22 AM) : 

Couldn't your next book be of vintage photos? (sorry if someone has already suggested this, I am online at Sidewalk Express only, and don't have time to read all the comments(

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:58 AM) : 

No that I think about it, I don't think my father's mother wore pants either. Real men wore hats outdoors and hatless in doors. Those seemed to be very civilized times.She lived to be 90 before she died. My grandfather did not last long after that. They were a pair.

 

Blogger Little Lovables said ... (10:14 AM) : 

Lovely, what a sweet photo! I love the moon prop. it was recreated for a 20's inspired wedding recently here.

http://littlelovables.blogspot.com/2009/09/love-paper-moon.html

so glad to see the moon in it's tru vintage form though!

 

Blogger Marc said ... (10:49 AM) : 

looks like it came right out of the "tonight tonight" music video from the smashing pumpkins years ago...

...very cool image

 

Blogger davidikus said ... (12:52 PM) : 

How very sweet! this reminds me of a Woody Allen movie about a jazz guitarist in awe of Django Reinhardt, & his mute girlfriend. The sequence on the moon crescent was hilarious & very moving too!

Thanks for sharing.

http://davidikus.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Claire M. said ... (2:03 PM) : 

What a sweet picture! There's something about it that has so much atmosphere you can almost imagine what it was like to be there....

It reminds my of that film 'Paper Moon'...

 

Anonymous Adam said ... (5:35 PM) : 

Seriously. Just because it's an old picture does not meen that it's stylish. I mean, sure, you may like this pic but for me it's not stylish in any way.

People tend to romantacise old picture and claim them to be really stylish, and in some way they really are not.

 

Anonymous Ari said ... (6:13 PM) : 

Handsome fella, nicely dressed. Thought this was you for a minute. You're the spittin' image!

 

Blogger Benedetta M. said ... (6:49 PM) : 

I really love vintage pictures, In my home, I've found many of my family's pictures since 1870 to 1950, and ive appreciated very much those period pieces... If u want u can see somebody some on my blog, that exactly celebrate, the style of another age. Thank u so much and see u soon!
www.daddysneatness.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Emma said ... (10:32 PM) : 

Who would have thought that once Luna Park was so magical and romantic... This is such a gorgeous photo. Thank you for sharing it.

 

Blogger The Pilgrim said ... (12:37 AM) : 

Such a lovely picture, romantic but... so real at the same time! It's as if they are quite literally staring into the future ahead of them. How easily we forget when we see our elders that one day they were young and in love!

 

Anonymous msd said ... (3:01 AM) : 

For those who haven't been on the site for a while... Scott ran a vintage photo contest recently. These are photos sent in by his readers (usually old family photos).

Agnes - The original Luna Park was at Coney Island in Brooklyn. It closed down in the 1940s but spawned many other Luna Parks all over the world... Australia has two; Melbourne (since 1912) and Sydney (on-and-off since 1935). There used to be two others in Queensland and SA but they closed down.

 

Anonymous Freddie G said ... (8:33 AM) : 

The jacket the man in the photo is wearing is a vintage Melbourne Grammar School blazer, i just finished there last year, Wish we still wore them instead of boring navy blue.

 

Blogger TrueStory said ... (3:46 PM) : 

Wow. We just stumbled upon that park on a layover in Melbourne from LA the other day! Photo to come.

 

Blogger Mapiurka said ... (7:48 PM) : 

what a lovely photo!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:47 AM) : 

Fatima k: Looks like a Bishop's Mitre on the man's left-breast pocket. Was he still at school??? Perhaps he was a house master. Trying to identify the school.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:22 PM) : 

When living in Oz, I'd go to Luna Park to alleviate being homesick... this pic made me smile. Thank you. PS- Now living in Croatia, please visit!

 

Blogger Shalini said ... (11:19 AM) : 

So this is what Smashing Pumpkins based their "Tonight, Tonight" video off of :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:22 AM) : 

My dad is in a photo with the exact backdrop - Lunsa park in melbourne . I adore it , Glad you do as well

 

Blogger Kelsie Lynn said ... (9:03 PM) : 

That is where I'm from! I just love this Melies style backdrop.

And never wore pants? I love that.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:17 AM) : 

I'm a Melburniam, living in the UK, following an American blog, which shows a picture of somewhere my parents used to take me - although not quite that long ago. How lovely to see Luna Park again.

 

Anonymous Jon Goode said ... (5:10 AM) : 

Wow. I can't believe I stumbled upon this blog. The picture is of my grandparents. I am so pleased to see so many nice comments. Thanks for really making my day! Thanks Tani if you see this I assume it must be you who loaded the pic up.

 

Anonymous katherine said ... (2:00 AM) : 

beautiful
i was privileged to visit Luna Park before it closed.
What a magical place to be engaged/spend your engagement night

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting