This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Contest Update

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Contest Update

We already have over 300 entries!
The photos and stories are fabulous...thank you!
Here is just one of the entries I loved

Hi Dear Scott,

The idea of the contest is amazing, that's why I felt encouraged to send 3 pictures (in different mails) of my father, Jorge Vargas de Andrade.
This one here is my favourite, but I think the others complement this one and the three give a whole idea of his sense of style.
He was born in 1921 and I believe this picture was taken when he was in his twenties. I am a child of his second marriage, so this image is somehow very far from the man I knew.
Despite being from a failed family from the elite of Rio de Janeiro, he has never lost his elegance. What I like most about his looks is his natural style, with a bit of an edge, very effortless and not too worried to show off. For me the way he dressed was part of the charming person he was and the bon-vivant he would become in the following years.

Yours sincerely,
Isabella


Comments on "Contest Update"

 

Blogger the topless executive said ... (10:13 PM) : 

These are really lovely photos. Seems like a happy guy. Such wonderful dress sense.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:25 PM) : 

i want to be him

 

Blogger g+m said ... (10:25 PM) : 

You said one photo only! Now the rest of us will be tempted to send multiples, since they've been rewarded . . .

 

Blogger Reptilia said ... (10:26 PM) : 

I love the photos and his style. But the the best for me is how he described his dad.Lovely!


http://justreptilia.blogspot.com

xxxxxxx

 

Blogger BaronessVonVintage said ... (10:35 PM) : 

such style!!!

 

Blogger Jesper said ... (10:35 PM) : 

Why do I love Isabella?

Such distance from her parenthood.

Would like to meet her.

Best regards,

J

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:52 PM) : 

Brazilians rock!
Of course I am bias....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:58 PM) : 

he looks so happy in the first picture. I love his smile.

 

Blogger Tácio Barros said ... (11:02 PM) : 

I'm proud of being Brazilian. Wonderful pictures, and he feels so happy, that's the best.

 

Blogger kikiv68 said ... (11:02 PM) : 

What a beautiful entry! Sometimes think that the older generations had more a sense of style, were more formal, perhaps? in dressing for the daily events in life.
And, hey I may not be Brazilian, but I think brazilians rock...Can't wait for the FIFA World Cup!!! Go Brazil!!!

 

Blogger Heidi said ... (11:19 PM) : 

I absolutely love this. I'm so glad she decided to share these with you and your readers!

 

Anonymous Spring said ... (11:20 PM) : 

So wonderful. It's obvious that his sense of warmness and friendliness was captured perfectly in the pictures.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:36 PM) : 

I love these photos. I think that the older generation did have to dress differently, for different occasions. There were no leisure suits back then. My mother made all her own clothes, but they were almost all dresses.

 

Blogger Mr. Andy said ... (11:40 PM) : 

Brilliant.

http://thestyledocument.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Vitor-RJ said ... (11:46 PM) : 

dá-lhe Sr. Andrade! Grandes fotos. Parabéns pelo texto simples e tocante, Isabella.

Great pics! I'll blow off the dust of my family albums and send mine, hopefully my pics shall look as awesome as these from this fellow carioca.

 

Blogger kathrynnova said ... (11:56 PM) : 

he's wearing oxford bags in the second photo!!!!!!!!
i love that term.

these are really beautiful photos of a very stylish man. thank you for sharing.

worldrunway.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Lisa Petrarca said ... (11:56 PM) : 

I love them!

My photo will be sent in tomorrow. It is an amazing story too that I'm sure will touch your heart.

 

Blogger FASHION SNAG said ... (12:01 AM) : 

He has great style! I love these photos and the story behind them. xo

www.FashionSnag.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:10 AM) : 

I have never posted a comment before, but I must say I love this contest idea and am looking forward to more entries like this! Thank you for posting and please keep them coming!

 

Blogger Maíra Gadelha said ... (12:12 AM) : 

when i first look at the picture i guessed he was from Brazil.
i'm very proud.
and the text is really beautiful.

 

Blogger Brigadeiro said ... (12:51 AM) : 

I agree with 'Anonymous': Brazilians rock! :)

What a sweet back-story & great pictures/style...Excellent contest!
xx

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:04 AM) : 

what a beautiful man. the first photo actually reminds me of a young che guevara (pre-revolutionary)...there's a photo of him from probably around the same era and same region (latin america)...this might've been a bit earlier. anyway, isabella's father was a very handsome man.

 

Anonymous missyeley said ... (1:37 AM) : 

charming style of the 1920s.

 

Blogger its for your own good said ... (2:22 AM) : 

wonderful. i have a ton of photos of my oma and opa from the 30s 40s 50s 60s. unfortunately they are unavailable to me right now. much more everyday style back then.

 

Anonymous Lord Brummel said ... (3:00 AM) : 

Sart, open a new site, like "The vintage sartorialist". This is a great idea and I am sure you will get so much material (even later from people like me who have to *find* the beautiful pictures which are... uhm, where are they...?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:09 AM) : 

Yessssss !!! Sepia, classy so good style !!! Sunny Side

 

Blogger MAC said ... (3:28 AM) : 

these r fantastic old pics seems to say a story!! i really love it! beautiful

 

Anonymous lovenz said ... (4:00 AM) : 

Gorgeous photos and lovely story!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:02 AM) : 

They are fantastic photos, when I look at photos of my own father, he always looked stylish from the 1940s through to the 1980s I think because he picked classics and added his own personality. My mother, a very beautiful woman didn't start to look really stylish until she was in her 60s but she always looked fashionable. I think men's clothes are always based on the classics whatever the era

 

Blogger HAPPY BIRTHDAY said ... (4:19 AM) : 

so awesome...

 

Blogger mixedtapediaries said ... (4:56 AM) : 

The charming smile that he wears along with his timeless dress sense.

Touche!

 

Anonymous Cristina - Romania said ... (5:51 AM) : 

Handsome, stylish, relaxed... Interesting person, beautiful photos.

 

Blogger Laura said ... (6:13 AM) : 

Lovely photos!!!

barbielaura.com

 

Blogger deryik said ... (6:13 AM) : 

if i only had a chance to visit my grandma's place to send you a photo of 3 sisters from istanbul, in 1950s, with full hollywood glamour near Bosphorus. it's my favourite family photo.

 

Blogger 99 said ... (6:18 AM) : 

I think "happy" and "Brazilian" don't capture it. It looks like a type of love. That second image just knocks me out. Not only is the style impeccable and relaxed but there are a million other things, to love about it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:23 AM) : 

Seriously, it captured my heart when i saw these attractive pictures!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:30 AM) : 

Wonderful photos! Very classy and elegant. Congratulations! Loved it :)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:36 AM) : 

What charming and elegant style, and what a handsome man. People really dressed better back then! Such a poignant entry, Sart. :)

 

Blogger San said ... (6:48 AM) : 

So stylish. It's sad to go outside after pictures like this. He's one of a kind.

And I agree with Lord Brummel, new blog just for these kind of pictures!!! There is a whole new world of fashion sense out there.

 

Anonymous Lina Borges said ... (7:36 AM) : 

I got very happy when I saw this post here. Not only because he is no doubt a very stylish, distintive and charming guy and the pics are great but most of all because I know Isabella. She is one of my best friends ever and reading her post here made me happy because she is herself a very sweet, intelligent and sensitive woman not to say she has a great sense of style herself. Isabella rocks!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:49 AM) : 

beautiful photos, great idea. Style is something immortal

 

Blogger Baron-Münchhausen said ... (7:58 AM) : 

My grandmother was also born in 1921 and all her life she was very elegant. Until now, she always thinks about her appearance.

 

Blogger Mrs Vintage said ... (9:06 AM) : 

Fab looks! Really.

 

Anonymous Torinostyle said ... (10:15 AM) : 

So elegant and smart!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:06 AM) : 

Very nicely put!! You must really love your father.

 

Blogger Zé Life´s no Leblon, Brasil said ... (11:23 AM) : 

I love that!! So happy guy!! Such style!!

 

Blogger Rambling Tart said ... (12:15 PM) : 

Absolutely LOVE it! :-) So dashing, debonair and suave. :-)

 

Anonymous The Red Velvet Shoe said ... (12:29 PM) : 

A poignant tribute to her father; beautiful words & beautiful photographs . . . You can almost feel the heat from the Brazilian sun in these lovely family heirlooms . . .

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:48 PM) : 

These photos take me straight to the world John Updike describes at the beginning of "Brazil".

I like the criterium of "not being too worried to show off". Very true!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:48 PM) : 

his best accessory is his smile.

 

Blogger Komal said ... (2:40 PM) : 

It almost makes me cry seeing how jovial and full of life this man looks in every picture! From his crisp outfits to the well coifed 'dos. Bravo, Isabella.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:52 PM) : 

Oh reminds me so much of Evelyn Waugh, my all time favorite. In my dreams life still moves at this pace.

 

Anonymous sherie' said ... (4:01 PM) : 

SO BEAUTIFUL...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:03 PM) : 

Belas fotos, belo texto, Isabella.
Lembrou meu pai, que nasceu em 1924 também muito bonito e um Bon-vivant.

 

Anonymous Sara Lua said ... (6:05 PM) : 

Thank you for sharing your beautiful memories of Mr. Vargas. This aspect of Rio style doesn't seem to exist any longer, and it's wonderful to see your elegant father.

 

Blogger Alexia said ... (6:16 PM) : 

this is so wonderful and emotional, really touching.. The pictures are just fantastic, thank you so much for sharing!

 

Blogger Alice Liddell Blog said ... (8:41 PM) : 

These are amazing - I LOVE her father's outfit in the second image. It's so lovely to hear her speak of him so fondly as well.

 

Blogger ~Melissa~ said ... (8:54 PM) : 

Love these pics!! Great vintage feel and love how you have a little story of his history. :) Thanks for sharing them

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (10:07 PM) : 

Old photo's are the best. That is why I think I'm going to give up digital and go purely to film.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:56 PM) : 

Brazilians, being pretty and elegant since... forever.
Sorry, we can´t help it!!

 

Anonymous proletarian Great Gatsby said ... (11:29 AM) : 

What have the old pictures that make our parents look like movies stars?

 

Anonymous Kristin said ... (2:43 PM) : 

He seems like such a genuinely happy guy! I love the first photo especially! What a cutie!

 

Blogger The Pilgrim said ... (5:53 AM) : 

Charming and elegant, we are not used anymore to see such a young man so well dressed!

It's very interesting in the first picture how he left the top button of his jacket open.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:39 PM) : 

what a charming, beautiful smile

 

Blogger sherene said ... (6:14 PM) : 

Such genuine happiness - the best accessory for any outfit :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:06 PM) : 

He reminds me of Zack Efron

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting