This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Celine Book Contest #1

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, March 29, 2010

Celine Book Contest #1

Thanks for your input about the Celine inspiration book contest and for so many good ideas!

Luckily I picked up several books so at least 2 will be auctioned off for charity. The rest we can use for our contest winners.

Here is the first contest:

Remember when I posted those vintage photos that I bought at the flea market last January?
I think we all loved those images.

I want you to email me an old (nothing later than the 80's) original photo that you feel conveys an inspirational sense of style. It could be from your own family archive or one that you found somewhere like a flea market, garage sale or swap meet. If it is from your family I would love to hear a little about the people in it.

Garance and I will pick a few and post them and then we will collectively name a winner.

I love this idea because it does not cost a lot of money (flea market photos are relatively cheap and family photos are free) and I love looking at great old photos! I hope to see some amazing shots from the 20's, 30's 50's 70's or whatever period inspires you.


This part is IMPORTANT please read before sending me images!

- The subject line of the email should read "Vintage Photo Contest"

- The contest will run from March 24th to March 30th

- Only 1 image per email, please EDIT

- The photos will only be posted here on the blog, so the file size can be very small (no bigger than 700kb). I DO NOT need hi-res images. It takes too long to download them.

- Send your photos to: sartorialistcontest@gmail.com

- Writing a little something about the image you send will make your entry much more interesting for all of us.

Comments on "Celine Book Contest #1"

 

Anonymous Chris R said ... (12:18 PM) : 

Great idea ! x Chris

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:54 PM) : 

I am very excited. Expect a photo from me this evening.. or morning/afternoon depending on where in the World you may be.

xo Alyssa

 

Blogger Annka said ... (12:56 PM) : 

I'm really looking forward to see amazing pictures!

 

Blogger Alexia said ... (12:56 PM) : 

ohh that's a very nice idea!!! i remember one great picture of my family, looking forward to sending it to you!

really a wonderful idea

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:14 PM) : 

Noooo! I have two different pictures but they go together! Drat!

 

Blogger Lisa Petrarca said ... (1:42 PM) : 

Sounds like fun! Off to start digging up old photos.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:47 PM) : 

GREAT IDEA!

 

Anonymous molière said ... (1:49 PM) : 

i have already sent one.. ^^ can't wait to see everyone's photos!

 

Blogger naeiri k said ... (1:57 PM) : 

this is fantastic! i have an amazing old photo of my grandparents & their friends that will work perfectly for this! how fun :)

 

Blogger Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said ... (3:29 PM) : 

Sounds just about right to me! :)

 

Anonymous Kate said ... (3:34 PM) : 

what a great idea, it's creative without being too obvious, and doesn't favour those with money.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:39 PM) : 

I have the perfect photo. It is from my aunt, and she is from Somalia. The picture is black & white (small size, a portrait), and was taken in Yemen. At that moment, she was 23 years old. Young, beautiful, but very graceful.And very Victorian persona.
I just come back to this photo when ever I miss my native country, and think about my childhood. The picture means alot to me. It was taken in a very dramatic year for our family. It was indeed our darkest moment of our family. But somehow, you can't see it from my aunt's facial expression. When you look at the picture, she radiates a confident and strong woman.

I will ask her if she allows me to publish the photo. In our family, we never published any private pictures on internet. But I will try.

 

Blogger Sparkling Ruby said ... (4:05 PM) : 

This is so exciting! I can not wait to share some of my grandmother's photos from the 1950s-1970s in the Mississippi Delta.Actually they were slides we had converted to JPGs a few years ago. She would gather us all in the dining room and make us look at her slides for hours!

 

Anonymous GeorgiaRae said ... (5:10 PM) : 

This is a brilliant idea, can't wait to see everyone's photos!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:26 PM) : 

simpaticissimo!


http://louis-myfashionshow.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Beatrice-Ngan Huynh said ... (6:22 PM) : 

I this briliant. I'm sorting through everything right now. Can't wait to see others pictures. By the way, how many books are you giving out?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:27 PM) : 

I can't wait to show you what i think are some gem photographs of my parents. <3

 

Blogger psforal said ... (6:15 AM) : 

Great idea. I hope you're ready for some Central European story attached to my beautiful and so stylish grandparents' photos. I'll do some "nostalgic search" in the following days.

 

Anonymous lungi said ... (7:42 AM) : 

great idea!

 

Anonymous yellowRose said ... (9:35 AM) : 

wow excited - great idea - i have some lovely photos from the 70's of the beautiful people of the kashmir valley ... look forward to embroidered ''pherans'' < a traditional form of outer wear unique to Kashmir...

 

Blogger Justine said ... (10:49 AM) : 

I just sent mine!!!!
hoe you'll like it!

 

Anonymous Nikki Thornton said ... (11:51 AM) : 

Liked your post. Someday I hope to write a book where the royalties will pay for the copies I give away.
:-)
Nikki

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:55 PM) : 

What a nice idea :D. I have a lot of great pictures, so I'll try to find a nice one wihtin a few days

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:51 PM) : 

love it love it love it!!!!

 

Anonymous Laure said ... (5:51 AM) : 

hello sart!
could you just extend the deadline to 10th of april or i don't know, something like that ... i have very nice pictures of my grandma but i just don't have them with me right now and it would take some time to get them.
thank you!

 

Blogger Babi Casasola said ... (6:17 AM) : 

Amazing idea! Can't wait to see all the photos...

 

Blogger FEDERICA said ... (10:56 AM) : 

Such a great idea! I will send you some beautiful photos.

 

Anonymous Nimey said ... (11:51 AM) : 

Why do you want only one picture per email? isn't it complicated because the pictures I want to send go together, in the huge amount of emails it's going to be difficult to find and gather them

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:22 PM) : 

I suspect one photo per email so that he only has to keep the emails with good photos and he'll only keep the photos he wants instead of having to figure out which one it was in a bunch of attachments.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:41 AM) : 

урааааааа )I have cool old foto ).../as for me/ thank you for the inspiration ))

 

Blogger Marcela A. said ... (9:28 AM) : 

That first picture is amazing! Looks like he came out straight from an old Hollywood movie.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:20 AM) : 

What a great idea! I have a very special picture of my grandmother. I am not 'in it to win it', but really hope you like the picture enough to post it on your blog.

 

Anonymous frl fink said ... (12:40 PM) : 

thatS a brilliant idea. i am researching in aesthetics, thereS been a genre developing in the city i work in in the 1950s/1960s called sth like 'street shots' where you were walking casually in town & the photographer was taking your pic in movie-like flaneur-coolness. after some hours you could get this representation of yourself and never forget that you once walked in grace. may you still. all the best, i keep digging deeper.

 

Blogger deniz said ... (3:00 PM) : 

How I love this contest! Though it makes me very jealous indeed. I don't think we've had anybody nearly stylish as these people in my family for... ever, probably. Hopefully I'll be the one to break this chain, lol.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:53 PM) : 

I just send mine. Hope you will like it. Can't wait to see the others. Thank You for this opportunity.
Elisa

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:52 PM) : 

It has been very refreshing to see all these stylish vintage photos from a period of time before an overly saturated trend-driven market informed everyone of what was desirable on a minute to minute basis. Most of the posts from present day scream elitism and desperation for attention. The vintage photos seem more naturally elegant, unforced, with the people being the main focal point and not the overly-hip statements attempted by today's fashionistas.

thank you for this.

 

Anonymous Rosa said ... (6:08 PM) : 

I sent a pic from my father yesterday. I'm loving to see all the stylish vintage looks so far!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:47 PM) : 

Aside from the contest, I just love the vintage photos and the stories. I am redoing my apartment and going through all my belongings. I have photos from my parents and grandparents, but with the digital age I wonder... will we just pass on our flickr account?

 

Blogger Tomma said ... (3:35 PM) : 

I’m very impressed by all these interesting, beautiful, lovely old pictures. They are proof that even in former times style and being well-dressed was something that mattered not only to filmstars, but also to more or less ordinary people.

 

Blogger bird of light said ... (4:14 AM) : 

I entered the comp!

 

Blogger Molly said ... (11:38 AM) : 

This competition is FANTASTIC. In fact, I think it might be worth starting a blog completely devoted to vintage photos. I know I would read it.

 

Blogger shoeless simone said ... (8:33 AM) : 

This is a wonderful idea! I just wish I had seen it sooner so I could submit my own. Even so, it's still great to look at the ones you've posted

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:25 AM) : 

The Vintage Photo Contest could be the heart of a very interesting coffee table book.

Anonymous 2:52 p.m.:
"The vintage photos seem more naturally elegant, unforced..."

Although you are insightful. There is a lacking of kindness in your statement, which I suspect might not be as stinging in your character.

What would have happened to the unfortunate Tennessee Williams, if he could not have depended on the kindness of strangers?

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." Philo of Alexandria

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting