This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Who Said Milan Isn't Beautiful?

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Saturday, February 06, 2010

Who Said Milan Isn't Beautiful?

I know...Rome is historical.
I know...Florence is quaint.
I know...Venice is romantic.
Well, did you know...Milan is beautiful.

Milan's history (actually "continued history") of wealth and commerce has filled its streets with buildings, shops, and restaurants that rival any of those other cities.

Personally, I find Rome and Venice just too directed to the tourist trade. I'm sure there is still charm in those two cities but, you have to work hard to find it. I'm actually more curious about the lost romance of cities like Turin, Bologna and Naples.

My next trip to Milan I will shoot around the city a little more and revisit some of the shops and restaurants that made me fall in love with Milan in the first place. I know some of those original posts are hard to find.

Comments on "Who Said Milan Isn't Beautiful?"

 

Blogger Duck said ... (10:19 AM) : 

Personally I much prefer Turin and Trieste to Milan and Rome

xx
Duck
http://anastasia-duck.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Duck said ... (10:20 AM) : 

Personally I prefer the Northern beauty of Turin and Trieste to Rome and Venice. But also I think Milan is a fairly ugly city.

xx
Duck
http://anastasia-duck.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Emilie said ... (10:21 AM) : 

Milan is such a beautiful and romantic city!

 

Blogger Alina Baldé said ... (10:21 AM) : 

Nobody! I love Milan =)

www.eucomocaracois.blogspot.com

 

Blogger stephany said ... (10:22 AM) : 

Milan looks so wonderful. I especally love this picture with the hanging ivys walking up the building. I can't help but to love any building with walking ivy!

 

Blogger Sarah Grace said ... (10:23 AM) : 

Milan most definitely is beautiful. I think I might be going to Italy this summer and I can't wait to see all the beautiful architecture and nature. Wonderful picture.

http://thebuzzonfashion.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Laura said ... (10:23 AM) : 

I love Siena...

 

Blogger Miss California said ... (10:25 AM) : 

Hi Scott. I'm born and raise in Rome, where I actually am at the moment, and I can't agree more with you. Rome is special, historical and bla bla bla, but Milan is really fascinating. Then for fashion is more relevant and inspiring. So Ni judgment from a Roman Girl! ;)

 

Blogger Allbur said ... (10:26 AM) : 

I'm in love with Milan too!!!!
i'll go there again in March :D i'm waiting for it!

 

Blogger gina marie said ... (10:26 AM) : 

ma ... e veramente bellisima =)

 

Anonymous Sarah Brown said ... (10:27 AM) : 

I completly agree. The whole country of Italy is just breathe taking. Although, Florence is my favorite.


http://sarahbrown88.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger anthony said ... (10:33 AM) : 

Wow. a waterfall of green.

 

Blogger Françoise Slogan said ... (10:33 AM) : 

Where in Milan did you take this picture? It's amazing!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:36 AM) : 

Milan is beautiful, and will always be in my heart (I was born and raised there, then I moved to Genoa). Many say that Milan is ugly, so I was really pleased to read your post: it takes a connoisseur to appreciate it, but Milan has a lot to offer.
Have you ever been to Genoa? I think you should...
Bye!
ste

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:38 AM) : 

It looks beautiful from that photo. Would love to go back to Italy to explore more.

S
http://notjustmedical.wordpress.com

 

Anonymous Kyle said ... (10:38 AM) : 

I loved Turin. If you do get the chance to go there, I recommend the Art + Tech Hotel and then if you get the chance to eat at Eataly, do NOT miss it!!!! Both the hotel and the gourmet grocery store/restaurant were pretty amazing.

 

Blogger The Bambina said ... (10:40 AM) : 

I can't wait to see your eye in Milan! When I think Milan, I think elegance and beauty. Beautiful picture!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:41 AM) : 

hi scott, i have a very similar picture of a building in rome. i would love to let you see it

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:41 AM) : 

I'd have to agree, Getting off the beaten path is where you find yourself immersed in a county's culture, arts, and food.

http://lifeasasketch.wordpress.com

 

Blogger Beverly. said ... (10:42 AM) : 

I think there's beauty in every location.

 

Anonymous The Photodiarist said ... (10:42 AM) : 

Milan has some beautiful areas but it is my least favorite Italian city. Rome is fantastic no matter how "touristy" it is. Venice - my second least favorite. Florence is stunning but I really prefer some of the smaller towns, like Lucca and Orvieto.

 

Anonymous The Protagonist said ... (10:46 AM) : 

I agree, I've seen some amazing beautiful parts of Milano.

Kindly check out our blog at: mysocietynewyork.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:47 AM) : 

Oh - I want to go to Milan :-(

http://sippli.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger giampaolo sgura said ... (10:47 AM) : 

Milan is my favorite city,is cool,is Classic,is defenetly Human,it feels like living in a small town,you can have lots of friends,lots of places to go!!!nice buildings,great food,fun and quality!!!.and never fell lonely,i moved here 18 years ago and still living!!!Milan is defenetly BEAUTIFUL!!!!
Giampaolo Sgura

http://giampaolosgura.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous dylans said ... (10:49 AM) : 

Yeah, Milan, got an transient aura of its own...

 

Blogger FORMENTERA ♥ AGUAMARINA said ... (10:49 AM) : 

So beautiful picture, really...but the 98 % of the city is a beat grey !!! isn't it ??

 

Blogger Jasmine said ... (10:53 AM) : 

Perhaps you should spend a day at Verona too! I loved Verona. :)

 

Blogger Karoline said ... (10:53 AM) : 

I have never been to Italy:(

 

Blogger La chica said ... (10:55 AM) : 

I think Donatella Versace lives in that building.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:57 AM) : 

milan sucks

 

Blogger Laura Trevey said ... (10:59 AM) : 

Absolutely Gorgeous!!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:05 AM) : 

I think your picture is beautiful, but Milan cannot possibly be compared to Rome, Florence, Naples, Turin or Sicily.
The beauty of your image is most of all due to your ability, whereas in the cities I mentioned above beauty is just normal, is everywhere, there for anyone.

 

Blogger raguandroses said ... (11:13 AM) : 

I was born and grew up in Milan.It is a beautiful city worth discovering...I suggest visiting the Rotonda della Besana,a beautiful cloister and one of Milan's hidden gems.

 

Blogger Montreal Street Views said ... (11:17 AM) : 

Scott,
As much as I love Rome, I agree about the tourist side of it taking over the city. Bologna and Naples are great cities.
When you visit Naples, take some time for you and Garance to drive the Almalfi coast, at dusk or the crack of dawn. Very touristy, but the drive is very beautiful and worth the pain inflicted by the traffic, tourists and sorry Sorrento.
:--)

 

Blogger picolin said ... (11:17 AM) : 

I love Bologna, a hidden beauty of college city and great food. My another recommendation is Ferrara where actually quite near Bologna.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:20 AM) : 

Oh my God ! it,s such a beautifull shot.... !Where´s this magic place ??? it looks like a tale.
I´ll be flying to Milano on Tuesday... I´m whising! As soon as you´re landing ,grazing the Alpes... you feel is a special place like a trasure to discover.
I´m fall in love with Milan too, specially in February...it´s so romantic, the Duomo. Vittorio Emmanuelle Galleries, Brera, L´scala, the names of its VIAS...SPARTACO,STENDHAL.VERDI...
bello,bello. Bello Milano ! Always in my mind.

 

Blogger James Taylor said ... (11:27 AM) : 

I'm sure Milan would be considered more often as one of Europe's most beautiful cities were it not located in the most beautiful country in the world. Such is the beauty of Italy, it's regularly dismissed as a grey and industrial concrete metropolis. I lived in Milan for a year as a a student, and found a lot more to it than just the obvious attractions (fashion and soccer).

Florence does feel small after a few years (or even months), but I was surprised at your suggestion that it is "quaint". I'd perhaps use that word to describe Stratford-upon-Avon or San Gimignano, but not the epicenter of the Renaissance.

 

Blogger FASHION SNAG said ... (11:31 AM) : 

I would love to go to Milan, but I have to go to Florence first. Italy is divine! Great photo =) xo

www.FashionSnag.com

 

Anonymous Steph said ... (11:32 AM) : 

I agree with most of the other posters: Milan is very beautiful and has a subtle charm. The silver-like Duomo alone would be enough to redeem any horrid place but, in the fact, the city at large is romantic, elegant, vibrant and magical. Try it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:43 AM) : 

You really caught a beautiful view of Milano...really looking forward seeing more of a beautiful Milano...prove me wrong please :-)

 

Anonymous Lemonia said ... (12:04 PM) : 

Milan is actually very beautiful and I am glad that you have also seen it. Actually Torino is another beautiful Italian city and many people ignore that. Please also visit Torino and take pictures of the city and the elegant people living there.

 

Anonymous Lemonia said ... (12:04 PM) : 

Milan is actually very beautiful and I am glad that you have also seen it. Actually Torino is another beautiful Italian city and many people ignore that. Please also visit Torino and take pictures of the city and the elegant people living there.

 

Blogger Matt said ... (12:08 PM) : 

Shhhhhh...

Don't tell everybody!

My wife and I were talking earlier this week about the fact that Milan's reputation hides a beautiful city.

Really looking forward to your next trip, and the next photos of Milano.

One of my favorite cities anywhere.

 

Anonymous Chiara said ... (12:15 PM) : 

Milan is my city; when I was still living there I would spend hours just walking around, looking at the buildings; the beauty is not thrown at you, it's not obvious: the facades are solid, composed, but you often get a glimpse of a luscious garden past the gate -the same attitude you find in Milanese style at its best. And then you get those crazy, incredible Art Nouveau buildings around Porta Venezia -and in few other spots. Or the amazing houses around via Mario Pagano -via Giovanni da Procida etc.
I've been living abroad for two years now, and I still miss Milan. Thanks for posting this.

 

Blogger Gon said ... (12:17 PM) : 

Beautiful!


www.dimogonda.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Pip said ... (12:17 PM) : 

I groaned when I looked at this photo. I'm a travel junkie with no funds or passport. I need a new career, education isn't helping me with this aspect of life!

 

Blogger Matt said ... (12:19 PM) : 

Via Majno?

 

Anonymous Ju Lins said ... (12:24 PM) : 

yep, this is Donatella's home!!

 

Blogger Shannon Lee Schureman said ... (12:36 PM) : 

really looking forward to seeing what you find on your next trip there :) thank you for sharing

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:41 PM) : 

You make me feel homesick...
Being from Milan, living in Houston is so hard.

 

Blogger opinion said ... (12:50 PM) : 

This photo is amazing.

I would have never thought that Milan could be so beautiful, especially after hearing stories from my friends who've been there.

I've been to Venice a few times and I'd have to say that the off season (like Autumn) is much more charming than the Summer when the whole place is bustling with tourist groups.

I find that almost every major city has its industrial/hyper-modern face and its charming, old-fashioned face. For example, there are tourists who'll go to NYC and only see Times Squares but never see the quiet beauty of the residential neighborhoods in Brooklyn. Also with Tokyo, where I'm from, most tourists tend to go to the ugliest, busiest places like Shibuya and Shinjuku (although they tend to be impressed regardless).

I think it's wonderful to be able to discover the hidden gems in a city and become familiar with its culture and people.

I look forward to the upcoming photographs!

 

Blogger Corylus said ... (12:50 PM) : 

Ok, next time go to Turin, go to Eataly then come where the most of the wonderful things you have eaten are produced. Here, in Cuneo.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:06 PM) : 

FINALLY!!!!
I'm so tired of people moaning about ugly Milan is! It's one of my favourite cities in Italy. There's more to it than the Duomo. It's the kind of city that repays after a few visits. Everything's tucked away. Walking down a grim street. Go through a doorway. Suddenly you're in an incredible courtyard. That's Milan for you. Just look at 10 Corso Como, so unassuming from the outside...

I really like the wide avenues of Cadorna where Napoleon tried to recreate the boulevards of Paris. The Navilgli canal and its amazing monthly market. The super rough San Donato market on the outskirts for incredible finds. A rough diamond it is, Milano, but rub at the grime for a bit and boy, does she sparkle. LFN

 

Anonymous Percy said ... (1:08 PM) : 

Wow can't wait to head out myself in the hopefully near future!

-Percy
Bit cheeky but just put up a new summer outfit and would be great to know what everyone thinks!

pauperthreads.wordpress.com

-Percy.

 

Blogger julia said ... (1:10 PM) : 

i couldnt agree more. it's absolutely beautiful. i was there in october and fell in love with it.

great picture too. the turquoise peeking through the window is perfect.

 

Anonymous gen said ... (1:20 PM) : 

You should really travel to Verona if you prefer European cities which are not just beautiful but only fairly touristy. I lived there for a few months and completely fell in love...only an hour from Milan and the people there have impeccable style!

xo

 

Blogger jack bespoke said ... (1:22 PM) : 

beautiful picture, architecture being swallowed by nature. hah just made it my computer background

bespok.com

 

Anonymous Licia said ... (1:23 PM) : 

Hey!
What are the shops and restaurants you prefer in Milano?
I love living here, there's so much to discover!



www.liciaflorio.it/blog

 

Blogger Sonya said ... (1:26 PM) : 

Milan is gorgeous, but only some parts of it. There are beautiful facades in every European city.

 

Blogger Juani Serenellini said ... (1:33 PM) : 

I agree with you. It's awesome because there you can see the extravagance, the rich old guy with her top model fiancee, lots of desing shops like corso cuomo. Fantastic.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:35 PM) : 

Easy guys, coome in my Turin. You'll love it for sure!

 

Blogger Joy Mars said ... (1:35 PM) : 

Lovely shot. Mythical looking. Thanks.

 

Blogger Jean-pierre MATTEI ( clothings maker who shares some fashion sketches .............................. ) said ... (1:48 PM) : 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Thank you ...


And about this house....So beautiful, yes....
But do you know what Spiritual People says about that kind of plants on Houses's wall ...It keeps bad energy in...




Have a Magical Week End .
==============================================================

 

Blogger Kimberly said ... (2:03 PM) : 

gorgeous shot. I really love that.

 

Blogger archivarius2@gmail.com said ... (2:05 PM) : 

Were not Milan in Italy, it would be considered a major tourist and art destination. In Italy Milan has to compete with places like Rome (2500 years of history) and Venice and Florence (highest density of art works per city block in the world), so it does not get the consideration it deserves.

Turin has a nice city center, but the city outskirts are positively depressing. Bologna is not living now its best moments, but its main treasure is its incredibly positive people.

Naples is not in this world. It is a huge depository of tradition, but it is not easy to find and understand its treasures, and may be very taxing at times. Greetings from Florence

 

Blogger - said ... (2:07 PM) : 

milan is really beautiful but this picture is unfair cause this is one of the most beautiful building in milan! : )

@anabel the picture is taken in viale luigi majno. please see google street view below

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=via+regina+margherita,+milano&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=46.092115,88.857422&ie=UTF8&hq=via+regina+margherita,&hnear=Milan,+Italy&ll=45.471649,9.20532&spn=0,359.913225&z=14&layer=c&cbll=45.471509,9.205323&panoid=looiN3rCfomMH-JbwjhhpQ&cbp=12,109.26,,0,-6.65

plus you can see (in viale majno too) this building that is soo cool as well

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=via+regina+margherita,+milano&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=46.092115,88.857422&ie=UTF8&hq=via+regina+margherita,&hnear=Milan,+Italy&ll=45.468943,9.205839&spn=0,359.913225&z=14&layer=c&cbll=45.468836,9.205852&panoid=3JIF64KOgv7XKN9qA5Z88A&cbp=12,94.51,,0,-6.31

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:13 PM) : 

Definitely visit Bologna, my Italian teacher is from there. From the pictures I've seen, it is absolutely beautiful, and he's mentioned the food is amazing. He said it has more of an old-country feel, but with a modern style.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:17 PM) : 

You might like Siena and Ravenna too.

 

Blogger E said ... (2:19 PM) : 

love those leaves. so pretty on the building

-Erica
http://allaboutitt.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:28 PM) : 

Born,raised and living in Milan....the city is amazing but Genoa will always beat it !!! Small narrow street amazing perfumes and foods....maybe the locals should change a bit but the city is incredible ....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:36 PM) : 

Italy is a beautiful country, however the difficulty is returning to the unromantic United States after a visit. One simply does not want to leave. We the people do not have a clue regarding what a quality life is.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:56 PM) : 

Thank you for this wonderful post!

I agree with many posters that Milan has a hard time because it is in Italy.

It does have a charm all of its own, that can only be discovered with repeat visits. And there are so many secret beautiful corners. Loving Milan isn't as easy or as obvious as loving Florence, Naples or Rome, but it is a rewarding love nonetheless.

I am glad you appreciate it!

 

Anonymous wezo said ... (3:07 PM) : 

You can't forget about Sicilia. The blue water, the Mediterranean cuisine, the life style... it's beautiful. No doubt Milano is beautiful, but the pace is very different from the South. I await to go back...

 

Blogger jku said ... (3:07 PM) : 

I may be biased because I used to live there, but Milan is one of my favorite cities in the world. I've never understood why it's often considered to be "less beautiful" than Venice or Florence. I look forward to seeing your shots of the city.

 

Blogger Andrew Smith said ... (3:09 PM) : 

You only love Milan because it has positive work associations. Yes, it has many beautiful buildings, like the one you photographed above, but it was too heavily damaged in WWII to be a beautiful city. No city built (or rebuilt with new architecture) since the second world war is beautiful.

 

Blogger Roman Dennis said ... (3:16 PM) : 

im going to milan at the end of this month and i cant wait il be sure to get some picture also which will be on my blog

Roman @ http://fashionwhatsnext.blogspot.com

 

Blogger David said ... (3:18 PM) : 

great picture!

David
http://www.myreikisecrets.com/

 

Blogger ADJ said ... (3:26 PM) : 

This is one of the most beautiful images of Milan. The greenery simply drips from the facade. Fabulous!

www.greeneggsandglam.blogspot.com

 

Blogger - said ... (3:27 PM) : 

milan is beautiful but the picture is unfair! : )

this is one of the most beautiful building in milan! :)

this picture has been taken here
http://bit.ly/aDnq16

and this is one more beautiful building as well

http://bit.ly/diozBT

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:32 PM) : 

I love Milan

kiss

 

Blogger Andy Burnbaum said ... (3:43 PM) : 

Wish you posted more of these beautiful photos. I actually didn't know Milan was so beautiful. Just have fallen in love with this place though I've never been there...

 

Blogger Tiffany S. said ... (4:18 PM) : 

Love love love Milan!
Just went to visit the city a few days ago.
Too bad it has been snowing like crazy there, according to RAI.

And I totally agree, Rome and especially Venice is too touristy. Milan is the true Italy.

Tiffany.

http://tiffany-shark-attack.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Torunn Gullaksen said ... (4:22 PM) : 

who said Milan isn't beautiful? I did!
But its ok! Its the industial city of fashion. not where u get inpired!

but i look forward to see pictures of what u find. the duomo is the most beautiful in Milan.

 

Blogger audrey k said ... (4:27 PM) : 

I would love to see some more of the cities that surround the beautiful people you find! Buildings like this are so amazing with all of the greenery its almost as if the building is alive with life. I cannot wait untill I get to visit someday!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:30 PM) : 

Milano is beautiful????...try to raise a child, while you work in fashion (what means 20 working weekends a year) and earning a half of whatbyour collegues getin france or germany, but spending double for a rent than in Berlin or Muenchen... aura of european ciy, but truly...we are poor people! the house in the picture is for rich ones. we live in MISERY!

 

Blogger emily said ... (5:05 PM) : 

i lived in milan for a summer and i am still obsessed. i think it's gorgeous.

 

Blogger cornelius said ... (5:06 PM) : 

I think that there isn't a city like Rome...even Rome is romantic...

 

Anonymous Sara said ... (5:06 PM) : 

Torino!!
You should see it!
I really advice tou to come here!

 

Anonymous a. said ... (5:08 PM) : 

Milan is often said to be not as interesting as Rome, Florence or Venice because it lacks the obvious touristy attractions.

But that's precisely why it is amazing. It's beautiful by itself, because of the life it has. The neighbourhoods are taken care of, the buildings are nice without standing out. It has a living quality, which is the most difficult to find in a city.

Bologna has this same feeling, and I have to say I loved Lucca, small but absolutely stunning.

Venice has a misterious feeling if you get lost in it after 6pm, that is after most of the tourists have left the island. Dusk and dawn are magical there.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:32 PM) : 

I'm from Milan. Check the stairs of the subway in Duomo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIUZH6372Yk&feature=player_embedded

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:33 PM) : 

You love milan because you donot HAVE to live there. I have to and i know it's dull terrible and impossible to live in. I'm sorry Milan is not what you think of it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:47 PM) : 

I am from Rome, so I understand I am bias, but you really don't have to go look for beauty in Rome. People sometimes don't have the heart to take in the whole city, they go to the forum and think that that is it. But its not the forum that makes Rome beautifully breathtaking.
Everytime I'm out on the street i get transfixed looking at my city, it's so beautiful and i cannot believe it. Try taking yourself on a trip to S. Pietro in the middle of the night, or go walk in the little streets around Piazza Navona, or take a car and go the the Pigneto, sit in Pasolini's favorite bar, walk up the Pantheon and jst LOOK. Take a car and driving up the lungo tevere when the sun is rising in the winter, that's about 7:30 to 8 am. Because, you have to understand, that's what we do every morning, us romans, when we go to work or school. And i promise you, no roman ever gets used to how immensely beautiful the city is.

Rome is the most beautiful city in the world, you should go and see it, it really seems you spend too much time with the clothing, which are indeed better in Milan, and too little time on the streets. You are a world traveller an I'm surprised by your post.

L.

 

Blogger Fabrizio Cariani said ... (5:57 PM) : 

I like Milan ok.

Comparing it to Rome is a bit like comparing Madrid with Paris.

It's not that there isn't character, personality or fun in places like Madrid or Milan, it's just that there is no comparison.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:34 PM) : 

waiting with anticipation for the post about great spots in Milano... I have been living here for 5 months now, I like it, it's different than other cities... But the thing that makes me like the city is totally not an architecture...

 

Anonymous all-in-the-silhouette said ... (6:52 PM) : 

Venice is empty in the winter, and magical.

 

Blogger Vee said ... (8:14 PM) : 

I fell in love with Milan when I went last and year and have been longing to go back since, especially when we got a little lost we found the most beautiful spots Im determined to find them again when I go back. Turin too has some special, but Milan is beautiful.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:28 PM) : 

I was very surprised by your comments, having spend 10 glorious days in Rome a week ago. Not once did I grow tired of its magnificence and grandeur. To walk everyday from point A to point B we always discovered something new. No wonder Romans are so creative, how can you not be inspired by so much beauty, tradition and history?
I guess I thought you had a broader mind, can you compare pear to apples?
I didn't think so!

 

Anonymous Edgar C said ... (8:54 PM) : 

*sigh*

maybe next year

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:24 PM) : 

i miss milan...it is beautiful once you get to know it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:50 PM) : 

Love Milan! Even thoug I'm from Rome, the most beautiful city ever, I think Milano has quite everuthing.
and...most important...it has FASHION!!!

 

Blogger Auckland Street Style. said ... (10:59 PM) : 

Napoli is one of my favourite places in the world, I felt more alive there than I have in other cities. I also fell in love with almost everything even further south. The grit and the people. Southern Italy has soul, not that the rest does not! It would be interesting to see what The Sartorialist could find down there.

 

Blogger Auckland Street Style. said ... (11:02 PM) : 

Napoli is one of my favourite places in the world, I felt more alive there than I have in other cities. I also fell in love with almost everything even further south. The grit and the people. Southern Italy has soul, not that the rest does not! It would be interesting to see what The Sartorialist could find down there.

 

Blogger I Turner said ... (11:19 PM) : 

The photo is stunning! I can't wait to finaly get to Milan.

www.toindigo.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Oh my Dior! said ... (11:21 PM) : 

Milan is THE city

http://www.ohmydior.org/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:36 PM) : 

bologna is an absolute must-see. the youth of the city combined with its antique charm make it one of the most amazing places in Italy.

 

Blogger Rambling Tart said ... (12:10 AM) : 

I love the dripping vines and glow of the sun - beautiful. I've not been to Milan yet, but I love Rome and Venice early, early in the morning or late at night when things are quieter and the tourists are tucked safely in bed.

 

Blogger Marianna Rossi said ... (12:30 AM) : 

Come to Rome, I'll show you around. I was in Milan for few days in January and I was really disappointed.I found it a grey city enjoyable just for incredibly wealthy people. Rome, just like NYC or Berlin, can be loved and lived to the deep both if you're rich or a regular human being. Rome, being way bigger than Milan, has so much to be seen that of course a tourist eye stops at tourist stuff. But trust me, there are so many stunning neighborhoods to be seen and discover that I'm surprised you didnt love it here. Forget the coloseum. What about Trastevere, San Lorenzo, the breathtaking Villa Borghese, the Auditorium, Campo de Fiori. After 27 years I still find myself amazed by how fascinating and sensual this city is. Rome is just Rome and I love that the city doesnt have to fight to protect her fame and her role in the world, just like Milan does in the design field. I'm talking about magic. And this has nothing to do with tourism or clothes or style. Its about the little things, the parks, the stories that arise from the streets, the legends, the tiny shops in the full tiny spaces, the white light in the big empty spaces, the new and the old. Lets organize a discover Rome tour.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:47 AM) : 

Really interesting comments from Italians and others living in Milano here. My favourite city in the world is actually Florence, although Rome is overwhelming. I travel frequently to Italy. I simply had to comment because people stating that Florence has "touristy" attractions and so on makes me nuts! We're talking about roughly a quarter of the world's great art and basically the beginning of humanism in western painting. Touristy? Quaint? Um, yeah. Love the blog - often provocative! ;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:20 AM) : 

I found Verona lovely and it had great shopping

www.jkstyehunter.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Paige said ... (1:24 AM) : 

amo Milano.

 

Anonymous Rose said ... (1:50 AM) : 

Palerme !

 

Blogger Rebecca Winelist said ... (3:55 AM) : 

You should come to Bologna more often, we'll surprise you!! Close to Bologna, Ferrara e Ravenna are great!

 

Blogger Maria Ana said ... (5:27 AM) : 

I went to Milan this December and thought it was beautiful! One place to go - Cimitero Monumentale - it's the most unique cemetery absolutely full of works of art.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:46 AM) : 

Bologne is amazing.. I live quite near there so everytime I'm free I sneak away and go there! You should go on saturday because there's the market and it's so funny being among so many different people.. and also, you could buy basically everything, from forks to paintings, books and shoes!
You should also come to my city (if you've never been here before), it's Verona.. I won't tell you why because the list would be too long but if you were interested, I'd love to talk to you about it.

Thanks for what you're doing with your blog. Watching at your pictures can make me escape from reality and make me dream of brighter world, to which I hope one day I'll belong.
Thank you so much

Viviana

 

Anonymous Chiara said ... (6:02 AM) : 

yesterday afternoon,Milan.
This perfect day wouldn't have been SO perfect without The Sartorialist Book, finally founded at RicordiMedaStore.
wowww!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:31 AM) : 

i agree with you scott. i find milano to be one of my favorite cities. i don't care for rome at all, too chaotic and crazy. i prefer the sophication of milan more.

 

Blogger Carlo said ... (6:40 AM) : 

i'm actually in bologna for the weekend, and strongly recommend it! the city is beautiful and the people watching is good too!

 

Blogger Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said ... (6:52 AM) : 

God I love Milan! It IS beautiful. One of my favorite places is 10 Corso Como - love the gallery, the book shop, the boutique, the cafe... And I just like wandering through the streets there too.

 

Blogger dalej said ... (6:52 AM) : 

yes, I know this buiding... it was on my every evening running way... I loved it from the first sight! I knew I wasnt the only one.. :)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:10 AM) : 

Please go to Naples some time! I would love to see life around there. I am from Australia and love history. Anything around the ancient lands of Pompeii is always thrilling!

 

Blogger Francesca said ... (7:17 AM) : 

That's Donatella Versace's house :D

 

Anonymous Eugenio said ... (7:56 AM) : 

wow nice shot! there are different reasons why we love Rome, Venice, Milan and Florence, so theres no need in comparing :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:56 AM) : 

come to torino... and after tell me

torino is more historical, magic, funny... here was born italian car, cinema, fashion... it was also the first capital of italy

torino the best

 

Blogger Noora said ... (8:05 AM) : 

I love Milano... I lived there and somehow oddly it reminds me of my hometown Helsinki.

 

Blogger Siblings said ... (8:48 AM) : 

WOW!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:39 AM) : 

isn't that the house of donatella versace?
i love milano..
but have you ever been to luguria?
its the state next to the french border and there are so many little beautiful romantic cities

 

Blogger sofia guiotto said ... (9:53 AM) : 

You should go to Trieste. It's amazing!
And to Vicenza, which is my city :)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:22 AM) : 

you should definitly visit turin ;-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:39 PM) : 

Rome is Los Angeles, worldly and energetic. Venice is San Francisco, smug and lifeless. Milan is New York, wealthy and provincial.

 

Blogger PLAYUSEFUL said ... (1:04 PM) : 

That's not true!!!!Milan is a Beautiful city and if you don't live in this city is hard to understand how beautiful and charming and particular is this city...my city!!!!

 

Anonymous Alessandra Roqueta said ... (1:08 PM) : 

I lived in Bologna for a year and loved it---there is definitely charm wherever you turn!

 

Anonymous Anna said ... (1:08 PM) : 

There are some beautiful areas in Milan (quite small), some beautiful buildings with beautiful gardens (only the owners can see), some beautiful shops and restaurants (very few can attend).
Milan is beautiful if you are very rich.I know this is true everywhere, of course: but in Milan it's just a lot more true...
Living in Milan as common people is frustrating, the town is dirty and enormously polluted, inexplicably expensive, deeply pretentious, very badly administered by a bunch of narrow minded and sometimes even self-declared-racist politicians, ruled over by corrupted builder (see the new so-called "city of fashion" and it's enormous concrete buildings which are devouring an entire part of tehe city, regardless to those living there...)

No, a few charming shops or palaces are not enough...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:21 PM) : 

This and your "Milan Door" are absolutely among my favorite pictures I've ever seen of yours Scott. Don't listen to any detractors who tell you they expect this to be a "fashion blog". Beauty is beauty.

 

Blogger iida said ... (1:41 PM) : 

I too love Milano, but I am in love with Italy in general. The only place which really disappointed me was Venice, which I agree is extremely touristy.

 

Blogger brightlightsbigcity said ... (1:42 PM) : 

so very beautiful. definitely on my list of places to travel to someday..

http://watermelonfeet.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Kathrin said ... (1:48 PM) : 

Absolutely true!
But to get to know the charm of Milan it is not enough to stay for a few days. You have to explore the city, while living there, while walking through the streets, while drinking cappuccino that is served from gentle waiters..that is what makes it charming. Splendido!

 

Blogger Bluetramontana Style said ... (2:01 PM) : 

Thanks Scott. Love Milano

 

Blogger MELISSA Z. said ... (2:26 PM) : 

I totally agree with you! I'm from Milan and everybody always say that there's nothing cultural, artistic and hystorical interesting in Milan! But it's not truee and you've documented this!

www.abitoffashion.com

 

Anonymous Thomas said ... (2:58 PM) : 

i think florence and trieste and bolzano are beautiful. Milan is nice, just not as nice.

 

Blogger nyc/caribbean ragazza said ... (4:19 PM) : 

I live in Rome. I think Venice is far more touristy.

I don't think Rome is too directed to the tourist trade. Many Americans complain it's not tourist friendly enough.

That said, Florence is the one place where I felt like I wasn't even in Italy because all I heard was English.

I went to Venice during off-season (November) and it was great. I'd rather sacrifice some good weather than to be there during high season.

I've only been to Milano once and Napoli twice. I look forward to exploring both more. The latter is insane. Such beauty and chaos, sometimes on the same block.

Torino/Turin is on my list as well.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:24 PM) : 

As a proud girl of Turin, I had always thought that Milan was nothing compared to my city. This is what people from Turin usually say. Then I saw Milan for the first time, and I fell in love with this city. What I can suggest is visiting both: two different souls, two italian beauties!

ps: and...I obviously love your photos.

 

Anonymous ingrid said ... (5:24 PM) : 

Wow! This is the first time I write a comment on your blog, which I follow and enjoy since few years now. Tanti complimenti for your very beautiful pictures and texts, but this time I have to comment because I totally disagree with you on your view on the Italian cities, and I even felt a little insulted when I first read what you wrote about Rome which is the city I happen to live in and love so much. But I forgive you, because I like your blog so much, and you can't be right all the time! Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful eye with us!

 

Blogger A Mulher do Marido said ... (6:09 PM) : 

Mr.Scott.
I totally agree with your comments about Rome, the only city I know in Italy.In 10 days I'm going to Milan for the very first time.In my (few) travels I always seek for charming places, no touristic places, to really know the spirit of the city. So, if you dont't mind, would you please indicate some places you liked in Milan? I'm so happy that I'll find a beautifuk city!
By the way, I'm from Brazil(sorry for my English), from the south of the country, very close to Argentina, a place I'm sure you would love to know, even not being part of the fashion world.Congratulations for your beautiful and intelligent work.

 

Blogger C A said ... (6:11 PM) : 

I can't wait to see your photos of Napoli, it is gorgeous, Scott!

 

Blogger Sarah Wong said ... (7:14 PM) : 

In response to a comment above, I must agree about Trieste, but then again I'm biased since I used to live there!

But Milan is a great city, it has its own, subtly urban beauty that only the Italians can manage.

 

Anonymous Lenka James said ... (7:16 PM) : 

Indeed it looks really nice

http://lenkajames.devote.se/

 

Anonymous Claudia said ... (7:36 PM) : 

You should seriously go visit Turin, you'll like it for sure, it's a small perl. Elegant, composed but surprisingly hip.

 

Blogger Ciara said ... (8:08 PM) : 

I'm so happy every time you post about Milan and its beauty. I spent a year in Bologna and as much time as possible in Milan. They're both such beautiful, really Italian, cities that I always felt I had to justify loving just because they don't have a Piazza San Marco or a boring Colliseum.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:36 PM) : 

Thats the home of Donatella... I used to work across from there for one year, its an extraordinary building, gothic, dramatic and so so lovely...

 

Blogger carrieitly said ... (8:42 PM) : 

gawk.

 

Blogger Cobalt Violet said ... (8:50 PM) : 

I agree and love them ALL!
Post away! Post away!

Grazie Mille!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:37 PM) : 

Milan is a fundamentally beautiful city. There is such a strong sense of materiality, colour, tone and proportion everywhere you look. People used to think I'm crazy for saying that, locals included, but then I realized that the fact that most tourists overlook Milan is a good thing..! So let them think it's ugly - all the better for the rest of us!

... Let's just not spread it around too much ;-)

 

Blogger Punctuation Mark said ... (10:52 PM) : 

I could not agree more! it's a true Italian city because when you go there you actually meet Italians and in the other cities what you mostly see is tourists. on top of that, everywhere you go has great interiors so every store, hotel and restaurant is its own museum... I love Milan!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:30 AM) : 

please let me know when you are coming to Milan...would love to have you sign my (your;)) book! I missed you when you came 'round for the last signing!

 

Anonymous Peter Sanchez said ... (2:48 AM) : 

Milan has some gems too.. I did
a course to discover them last summer
at the Nuova Accademia di Belle Arti
(NABA)

 

Anonymous Marco T. said ... (3:08 AM) : 

never be to Verona? it is a splendid city… small but beautiful than Milan, decidedly…

 

Blogger wrecklessgirl said ... (3:41 AM) : 

I've been visiting Italy since Halloween of last year; I arrived in Campania (Naples), only planning to visit for a week. It's been three weeks and I'm looking for a more permanent place to stay: this area drew me into the eye of its tumultuous hurricane and in it I find respite, overwhelming beauty, l'aria fresca -- all of which rival any of my previously visited cities in Italy. There's much magic to happen upon around unexpected corners.

(I have yet to visit Milano.)

 

Blogger melis said ... (3:47 AM) : 

breathtaking!

 

Anonymous Valentine said ... (4:13 AM) : 

I lived in Milan for a while, and it's true it has the charm of the lost cities. There is sthg about Milan that makes sad, even in the enchanting places, a somehow gloomy romantic atmosphere, even under a bright sun.
I find it interesting, almost a subject for studies, but my heart goes to Florence.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:38 AM) : 

I think you should hang out more in Roma. I know it's completely out of the fashion circuit and all, but really, if you visit just the "historical center" of the city (Colosseo, Fori imperiali, piazza Venezia etc) you miss completely the true Roma. Next time you have the chance to visit, try get on the subway and move out of the center/san pietro area. there are some really surprising sightings...

 

Blogger Vicki2 said ... (5:38 AM) : 

Sig. Scott,
come to visit Torino, please!
I'd suggest you the best pizzeria in the world : LE RONDINI, p.zza della Repubblica, so chic and full of semplicity.
Best shots, around via Lagrange and in early morning in via Roma.
I'll be glad to show you around,
sincerly
your fan
Giulia

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:31 AM) : 

green plush lush love

 

Blogger cioccoila said ... (8:37 AM) : 

I'm actually glad to see that so many people do like Milan. Milan is my city and I love it (and miss it as I don't live there anymore), but I always have to defend it from people who can't open their eyes to see and appreciate its uncommon beauty.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:38 AM) : 

All Italy is a fantastic country..but i think that for sartorialist and bespoke dresses,ties ,shirts and shoes the best is Naples...
Vincenzo

 

Anonymous Maurizia said ... (10:37 AM) : 

I'm looking forward to see yours photos of my city, Turin: it's becoming trendy without losing its identity.
http://torinostyle.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:50 AM) : 

Turin is absolutely fabulous, and you won't find the tourists/tourist traps of Rome or Florence. It's beautiful, historic and the mountains in the distance are fantastic.

 

Blogger Redazione said ... (2:06 PM) : 

And you have never seen Turin!!! You will love my city!

 

Blogger Stuffologist said ... (2:33 PM) : 

I've been living in Milan for twenty years and honestly, this city in way far from being beautiful.
Compared to the rest of Italy, sucks.
I'm not comparing it to Rome, Florence or Venice but to the greatest part of Italian cities. The weather sucks 345 days per year, people are just fake living to show-off and the city is dirty, polluted and very badly administrated. Of course there are some pros, but they are really nothing compared to the cons...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:52 PM) : 

Actually I prefer Turin, I love it..
no one knows it, but it's such a wonderful city....

 

Anonymous Ulli said ... (3:38 PM) : 

My favourite is Genova, you should absolutely go there!

 

Blogger italiano said ... (3:42 PM) : 

From what I hear its an amazing place. Now I just need to learn the language and visit

 

Anonymous Charles said ... (8:42 PM) : 

Come to Torino!
The people watching is quite superbe! And it's small enough so I might run into you!

Might I suggest Piazza Castello and the surrounding for your photographic enjoyment,and "Da Michele" in Piazza Vittorio for a great, simple Dinner. Torino is only one and a half hours away from Milan :). Hope you decide to come!

 

Blogger Aysha's Rabbit Hole said ... (9:40 PM) : 

milan is absolutely beautiful in it's odd hidden way.
I am very lucky, I live 2 buildings down this gorgeous one, and I see it change through out the seasons, quite a lovely site.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:12 PM) : 

Finally someone can see what I see... I LOVE MILAN but Venice is my fav city in the world...

 

Blogger Megan said ... (11:03 PM) : 

I studied abroad in Milano for the Fall 2009 semester. Most amazing 4 months of my life. I couldn't agree with this blog post more! (I will go back any day with you :-) ) Milano has the most beautiful fashion, beautiful people, and beautiful life.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:40 PM) : 

this is the home of donatella versace .. gorgeous.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:57 AM) : 

I couldn't agree more. I love visiting museums like Venice and Rome, but I much prefer to spend time in a pulsing vibrant city, both historic and relevant. Milan is beautiful and I love to visit it regularly through the Sartorialist. If you head outside the city, don't miss the Brion-Vega Cemetery by Carlo Scarpa. Que bella.

 

Blogger Elisabetta said ... (7:26 AM) : 

Turin..like Paris. just so small.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:23 AM) : 

Right, Milan is Beautiful and Opulent.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:12 PM) : 

milan can be beautiful but so can anywhere. in general it's pretty grey and uninspiring. most telling, when you ask people who live there and/or are from there, not many people will say they love it. it's just not a city that evokes those kind of emotions. plus... it's got some pretty bad racism there. sorry, but true.

 

Blogger DCPizza said ... (3:34 PM) : 

You must quench your curiousity and spend some time in Torino!!!! It's booming right now! History, architecture, fashion, art, romance, la cucina....i left my soul in torino. ; )
As mentioned in other comments...it's the mini Paris (and only a 5 hour train ride from Paris!)

 

Anonymous Gianni3000 said ... (9:21 PM) : 

I think Glenn O'Brien said it best:

"Milan tends to bring out the worst in Italians: attitude, Nineteenth Century electronic services, and hotels that think you are lucky to be staying there."

Amen.

 

Blogger lighter said ... (12:25 AM) : 

hi there , would love to see your personal perspectives on things beside fashion . toward architecture , art or even music ~

 

Blogger PlusSeeBeau said ... (12:47 AM) : 

Milan was my first taste of Italy, and remains my favorite Italian city. It's beautiful without calling attention to its own beauty, and there's such wonderful nuance just beneath the surface. Urban but soft, sophisticated but comfortable. I love Milan.

 

Blogger erin said ... (6:58 AM) : 

you are SO right! simply put, you got all the cities head on. i've lived in rome for nearly 10 years now, but make frequent trips to all of the above italian cities. they all shine in their own way, but milan totally doesn't get it's props. love it. pleeeeease come to rome and uncover the chic side of life... would love to see it through you eyes!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:02 AM) : 

Who can say this? Someone who knows what "beautiful" means. I totally agree with Carlo (2.33pm)

 

Blogger paxton said ... (10:02 AM) : 

the people who recommend Turin are so right ...especially in the winter...frosty pavements, starry skies, the Alps near you, better cafes than Paris, Cesare Pavese's poems to read - beat him for glamour if you can. But why am I telling you. It should stay a secret.

 

Blogger FEDERICA said ... (11:09 AM) : 

And what about Bologna? It's a very beautiful and elegant city.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:38 AM) : 

Genova!!!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:47 PM) : 

Bologna is the most beautiful city in Italy!

 

Blogger MILLY said ... (2:27 PM) : 

every parts of Italy is wonderful.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:29 PM) : 

If you haven't been, you should definitely go to Lucca. Amazingly quaint, historic, beautiful; a little bit of everything.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:03 PM) : 

I used to pick up a chocolate mousse from Peck takeaway and a sketchbook, then climb to the top of the duomo for a very inspired rooftop sketching session. love milano!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:06 PM) : 

i know this building, i live near this place and i find that these plants are amazing in every season. I LOVE MILAN

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:45 PM) : 

This is the Donatela´s Versace house, isn´t it? Money, money, money, money, ... money!
Lilly B., Brazil

 

Blogger iris said ... (7:30 PM) : 

I loved that you mention Turin. :-)
I'm from Madrid and my boyfriend is from Turin so I usually travel from Madrid to Milan and Turin.
When I first went to Milan some years ago I didn't really like it at all, because I had visited Rome, Florence, Venice, etc, before, and that cities are full of art and magical in any way.
But after being there with my boyfriend and knowing it better, I started to appreciate Milan from a different point of view. It's that kind of city you gotta "hate" first, but then you will love.

I also think Turin should be more famous internationally, it has amazing places, but maybe that's its secret too. :)

xx

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:34 AM) : 

WOW! What a façade!

- www.21Arrondissement.com

 

Anonymous Giulia said ... (11:37 AM) : 

I study in Milano, so I have to get there every day...and I am lucky enough to have my university really close to the Duomo - and the building is by Filarete, so I don't have to complain at all- I get to see the beautiful part of Milan.
I think that almost every place in Italy has its own amount of historical building and beautiful places...but a "city" is not only the very romantic, quaint, historical city center. you can't just judge "half" of something...and I agree with Anna, the other half of Milano is pretty bad.
By the way, there are a lot of beautiful cities in Lombardia that for history, art, beauty, food etc. are as well(and maybe more) worth a visit!

 

Anonymous pinkuzza said ... (4:41 PM) : 

Turin is very beatiful and stylish and many things. come here!

 

Blogger urbancamou said ... (10:40 AM) : 

Italy is plenty with hidden gems that have just to be discovered. Apart Milano, there are some "province" that worth to be visited, for instance Modena, Parma, Treviso, Ferrara, Verona. Places where is possible to find nice museums, historical spots, cosy boutiques and (most important) huge restaurants!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting