This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street...Gloria on Sixth Ave., NYC

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, February 15, 2010

On the Street...Gloria on Sixth Ave., NYC

Comments on "On the Street...Gloria on Sixth Ave., NYC"

 

Anonymous I.A. said ... (8:06 PM) : 

I usually don't like neon, but it works perfectly in her outfit.

 

Anonymous The Photodiarist said ... (8:10 PM) : 

I just adore the mix of color! Thank you for this wonderful photo!

 

Blogger Marcus said ... (8:12 PM) : 

full of life on a winter day!

 

Anonymous Martina said ... (8:13 PM) : 

I like these gloves!:)
Cheers, Martina

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:15 PM) : 

neon = YAY!!

such a fun, bright look for the winter!

chloehasflair.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Gayane said ... (8:18 PM) : 

i love her. she's so sunny! best word i can think of.

 

Blogger Friend in Fashion said ... (8:24 PM) : 

The colour is a nice contrast to the background.
www.friendinfashion.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Charlie said ... (8:24 PM) : 

love this

(she may have raided my closet)

 

Blogger Emelie - C'est LA vie said ... (8:33 PM) : 

Unexpected and cool.

 

Blogger Suzy Wu said ... (8:39 PM) : 

she looks like spring is coming

 

Blogger Laura Gerencser said ... (8:59 PM) : 

I love all the oranges and greens!!

 

Anonymous Nadia said ... (8:59 PM) : 

I like it! It's brave and cheery. Most women over 30(?) wouldn't wear these colours- or not so well. It looks very casual and friendly.

 

Blogger Isle Dance said ... (9:01 PM) : 

SO cute! (I need more scarves...)

 

Anonymous Livvey said ... (9:06 PM) : 

I love the scarf, and the combination of all the colours!

 

Blogger beths said ... (9:11 PM) : 

What a woman--a natural, international woman!

 

Blogger Cobalt Violet said ... (9:19 PM) : 

Great photo ... love the movement and contrast to the background. Especially love that green with the bright orange!

 

Blogger Vinda Sonata said ... (9:23 PM) : 

i rarely like colors, esp. neons but she totally rocked everything in place. i love the layering style so much.
she's gloria baume of teen vogue, am i right? :)

fashion atelier.
vindavindasonata.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:32 PM) : 

I love the bright colors mixed with a natural look. It would be so cool if she was carrying a skateborad instead of a newspaper, but thats just me...

 

Blogger Sunshinemom said ... (9:45 PM) : 

Ordinarily I don't like any of the colours she is wearing but she lends them a lot of character! I guess it is more about how the wearer carries them!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:53 PM) : 

I think I knew this woman back in NYC...Now I live vicariously...Remembering those walking days, people watching and bumping into friends from every corner of my life. Thanks.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:15 PM) : 

G-L-O-R-I-A Gloooo-ria !!

 

Anonymous Dan said ... (10:18 PM) : 

I love this blog, I am amazed by most of the pictures but 80% of the comments here are just plain boring. "I love it", "works great", "I love this, I love that". Sometimes I think, just because a person is up on Sartorialist most of the people don't dare to critisize. This woman sure does look like she is full of life and knows what she is wearing. But does it look that good? The dark jeans, the green jacket (maybe besides the wool lining) and the neon color works very well, but the scarf and the gloves immediately create associations of 40 year old mothers/housewives and kindergarteners to me. Come on people, be more critical.
Sorry if anyone feels offended but that is just my oppinion (maybe it doesn't even get approved to be published).

 

Anonymous Cecylia said ... (10:21 PM) : 

Woah her gloves are amazing! So cute!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:32 PM) : 

Now that is a gorgeous face - fresh, expression, life.
A real face. I like.

 

Anonymous jade said ... (10:37 PM) : 

love the pops of neon.

jade - www.styleinmybook.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Prutha Raithatha said ... (10:50 PM) : 

sooo much fun!! i love!!

http://www.donotshoeme.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Kick It Boots & Stompwear said ... (11:05 PM) : 

This discordant, mis-matched outfit totally works because it is colorful, confident and weather-perfect. I would kill to see what she's got on her feet!

 

Anonymous jane said ... (11:20 PM) : 

great mix of colors! i love how easy-going the layering looks.

 

Blogger Alisa said ... (11:21 PM) : 

Great scarf!

 

Blogger Joy Mars said ... (12:08 AM) : 

Authentic street fashion. Just what this blog is supposed to be about.
It's brilliant!

 

Blogger stuff sonia love said ... (12:33 AM) : 

so inspiring on the run with an incredible casual but well put together outfit
wish i had that magic!

 

Anonymous Maya Aviles said ... (12:40 AM) : 

colors + character = COOL..
I can't wait to walk the streets of NY this year.. Who knows? We might bump into each other.. :)

 

Blogger Don said ... (1:37 AM) : 

A pinch of color and a dash of bright!

 

Anonymous the metaphoric plethora said ... (1:39 AM) : 

awesome frame! excellent click of the shutter on a tough shot. nice!

 

Blogger Elisa said ... (1:44 AM) : 

Love the colors. Her outfit is pure life. I don´t like neon, but it works perfectly.

http://timetimetravelers.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous alabdin said ... (2:26 AM) : 

She adds zest to cold wintry streets of NY!
I like the buoyancy in her choice of colors that reflect her nature.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:32 AM) : 

her smile makes it.


http://pieinmypants.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Runway reviews said ... (2:51 AM) : 

it's fun and sporty, like proenza schouler can shows it: flashy color with powerful cut is young and wearable. Love the scarf!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:55 AM) : 

I've got those gloves, but mine are blue. I bought them in a small village, in Ireland, some years ago. Are pretty cool.
Laura

 

Anonymous middleseason said ... (3:09 AM) : 

I usually don't like neon colors.... but in a grey winter day. This woman is briliant

 

Blogger San said ... (3:12 AM) : 

Great layering and playing with colors. But what is most amazing is her beautiful smile. I just love pictures like this.

 

Anonymous middleseason said ... (3:16 AM) : 

great colors!

 

Blogger Diane said ... (3:29 AM) : 

Wow, she;s absolutely amazing. I adore people that are brave enough to wear bright colors in winter!

 

Blogger what dia like said ... (3:58 AM) : 

such beautiful scarf!!
www.whatdialike.com

 

Blogger Lou said ... (4:06 AM) : 

Glorious!

@Dan

You associate the shawl and gloves with 40 year old mothers. Ouch! NOT.

What are you talking about, as if that association in itself would be a criticism. This look is all her own, clearly. You can't pick it apart. Calm down and just enjoy.

 

Anonymous theyoohoogirl said ... (4:30 AM) : 

I could never pull this off.

 

Blogger MELISSA Z. said ... (4:35 AM) : 

Amazing color...hyppie look! Love the fluo green!

www.abitoffashion.com

 

Anonymous Jumpsuits Jen said ... (4:39 AM) : 

Such great colour combinations - LOve it

 

Blogger Baron-Münchhausen said ... (5:47 AM) : 

On the way to the Olympics!
Raises my spirits!

 

Anonymous Jeanette said ... (6:05 AM) : 

Dan I totally agree with you. All these critic-less comments are boring, seems like people stop thinking and judging for themselves as soon as the Sartorialist publishes a picture. However: I do like this one. It is a real woman, with real-life clothes, full of energy. It is good to see that there are many ways of dressing up, even if this is not your own style. I like this better then all the fashion magazine/Victoria Beckham/Paris Hilton look-a-likes who seem to be only copying and buying all the new stuff from designers as D&G, Cavalli, Lauboutin etc.

 

Blogger Barbara said ... (7:30 AM) : 

I'm inclined to agree with Dan. There is very little real criticism of the people you photograph. But perhaps that's just because everyone truly and genuinely always loves all your photos............
For what it's worth, while this woman looks jolly, and bright, and like a breath of fresh air, she's really not bringing anything new or original to our style sensibilities..
or am I wrong.......?

 

Anonymous Joanna Roman said ... (7:33 AM) : 

Auuuu...It hurts... for me this "style" is absolutely out of being stylish.:((

She looks absurd... her outfit is lovely in colors / patterns but for 15 years old (maxium).

I say NO,NO,NO

 

Anonymous Carole said ... (7:55 AM) : 

to me, she represents perfectly NYC's energy!

 

Blogger Steve Schnier said ... (7:57 AM) : 

A happy splash of color on a grey winter's day. Nice!

 

Blogger preppygoesrock said ... (8:13 AM) : 

i love the colors of her outfit. it made me smile and the pop of colors is unexpected! definitely deserving to be in this blog...

check my blog
http://preppygoesrock.blogspot.com/
http://preppygoesrock.blogspot.com/
http://preppygoesrock.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger diane said ... (8:53 AM) : 

Well, she is certainly anticipating Spring with those brights.

 

Blogger CW said ... (9:17 AM) : 

Love the shooter style mittens! Great layering. Great smile.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:28 AM) : 

I love her style and she always looks happy! You capture her essence so well....thanks....L

 

Blogger Sibylla said ... (9:40 AM) : 

Those colors are not easy to wear...

 

Blogger SimplyTara said ... (10:15 AM) : 

She looks like a free spirit!
http://coquettishfacade.blogspot.com

 

Blogger The Shitty Astrologer said ... (10:15 AM) : 

Love the funky layers and great color combo of hunter green and orange. Tres kewl...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:16 AM) : 

Original and fantastic! She's gorgeous and happy. I all-around love her look.

 

Blogger Emily said ... (10:41 AM) : 

amazing! gloria's style is so gutsy and crazy... i bet it totally fits her personality!

xx

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:56 AM) : 

Neon hightlights her outfit magically

 

Blogger FASHION SNAG said ... (11:50 AM) : 

Love it! I love that green vest she is wearing. The green looks fabulous with the orange. I also adore the smile you caught on her face! xo


www.FashionSnag.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:53 AM) : 

Not my personal style, but as I am from Ireland I cannot help but love the colour combination as they are the official colours on our flag!

Looking forward to more blazer action for the ladies Mr.S!

 

Anonymous Monique said ... (12:07 PM) : 

Oh !by the way she has a gorgeous smile . That's it...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:40 PM) : 

I like her casual and comfortable look. It's also satisfying to see a slightly older woman featured, which happens so rarely around here.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:50 PM) : 

Only in New York, only in New York

 

Blogger joshylola said ... (1:31 PM) : 

Jaja, I love gloves

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:59 PM) : 

I like that she feels comfortable in this outfit. She has such alovely smile .Personally I would never have the courage to go out looking like this. Then I am Italian...

 

Anonymous Klaudia said ... (2:01 PM) : 

I have to agree with Dan. All the comments you see (or at least 95% of them) are positive. Or rather super-hyper-positive.

I think that the negative comments just don't get published. If they do, they are very carefully written, and they almost don't sound like criticism.

Scott, I understand you don't want the subjects of your photographs read negative comments about themselves (cause otherwise they wouldn't be so open to be photographed). However, don't you think being all political correct is that good?

I think it wouldn't hurt to publish a few negative comments every now and then. The world is not only sweet and candy:).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:01 PM) : 

She looks happy, but a lot going on there...

 

Anonymous Sunanda said ... (2:08 PM) : 

My friend just called & told me to read Dan's post. OMG I am so happy someone finally said this. I am tired of reading only ALL positive feedback. Not the real world & I for one have often given my honest opinion ...guess what ? Yes, never posted. Anyway, I am sure this will not be posted so am talking to myself...feels good though that Dan had his POSTED!!!!

 

Blogger i.c. blogspot said ... (2:18 PM) : 

I see she is up to date with the Winter Olympics here in Vancouver- well done!

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (4:05 PM) : 

If you think only positive comments get published then check the Kanye post

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (6:54 PM) : 

Dan
I would be happy to publish more diverse opinions on these images but most people have no ide how to critique without twisting the knife.

Yes I insist that negative comments be written carefully. That will always be the standard for this blog and will simply never change.

 

Blogger Maddie B. said ... (9:34 PM) : 

Gloria Baum has such a well articulated personal style. I've seen her in person a couple times and she never fails to provide whimsy in any ensemble. I love that she is a prominent fashion editor and can still have fun with her look.

http://thethriftreport.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:43 AM) : 

I have been checking this blog regularly for several years. Many of the images don't particularly engage me - about these, I say to myself "not my style" or "I'm evidently not the audience for this one." However, there are many that do pique my interest because of some idiosyncratic style, or personal vitality, or wonderfully individual take on quite commonplace clothing. I don't see any point in adverse criticism: in fact, I wonder what people who do niggle with particular posts are actually looking for. Not everyone reinvents fashion every day, thank goodness. And anyway, the Sartorialist has already made a discerning selection for us to consider - thank you, Mr Schumann!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:46 AM) : 

I just posted a long comment on why this blog is too interesting to attract or provoke nitpicking criticism, but I forgot to say how lovely this image is, for all the reasons that about 74 of 79 other commentators have already mentioned!

 

Anonymous beautiful nothing said ... (12:57 AM) : 

I've been loving green and orange together for a year or so now, and am big on all kinds of brights in winter, usually anchored with a neutral base of black, gray or dark/warm brown.

Personally, I think she's rocking this look. She appears warm yet streamlined (a real skill in winter), stylish, approachable, and the choice of patterns (florals, abstract) and range of hues from strong (neon underlayer) to muted (gray long-sleeve shirt) shows an assured, sophisticated color sense laced with a touch of whimsy. She's got an eye for details. The white lining of her jacket picks up the off-white in her gloves. The black pants keep it urban and sleek, while the sportier elements add a relaxed practicality. She balances slick textures with softness. It's a great, casual running-around outfit, with one of the best uses of neon I've seen; it manages to be subtle and eye-catching at the same time. If I saw her on the street I would definitely notice her, and give her a big smile. She looks like she's dressing to please herself, but it's a look that also gives back to the viewer. (I do wish we could see her footwear, though I appreciate the intimacy of the shot.)

I think there's an art to negative criticism. Just slamming what you don't like is dull, and doesn't bring anything constructive or interesting to the conversation. Why don't you like it? How would you do it differently? I am curious about how others make their taste decisions, and simple "yeah, that's great" or "I hate this" responses makes me feel like I've missed an opportunity to learn something. If Scott thinks there's something to see here, I want to understand what that is. I've only really started paying serious attention to fashion in the past several years, so I'm educating my eye.

This particular look wouldn't work for me as is, but there are fantastic, fun ideas in it that I find delightful and will integrate into my own wardrobe.

(I'm also a scarf junkie. It's great she's not waiting for spring to bust that one out.)

 

Blogger ellastica said ... (4:06 AM) : 

my favorite of the teenVOGUE team.
really well put together without looking too studied. gloria wears clothes to live in, not just to flaunt. her lived in look reminds me a bit of venetia scott.

more gloria!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:50 AM) : 

She is fantastic, what a lively colorful picture. You have engaged her in motion and caught her personality at the same time, which often times is not easy to do. Well done! I am not one for these brighter colors, this doesn't mean I don't like them, just means I don't know how to wear them or I am not comfortable in them. I am interested in your banter with one of the other bloggers about this photograph. The comment you made about critiquing and not twisting the knife. Well said, and the truth. If we, your readers, don't like an image or an outfit there is usually something about the image that challenges us, deep inside. If asked, most people cannot really explain "without twisting the knife" why they don't like an image. Whether its one of yours, or a spread in a fashion magazine. What's really going on inside? This is what I say.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:54 AM) : 

Neon in Winter, BRIGHT!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:31 AM) : 

Love her spirit.

 

Anonymous darlene said ... (12:52 PM) : 

I agree with previous commenters that she does rock this look and I like the bright orange/green combination. But I guess nobody's ever gonna convince me to like neon.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:41 PM) : 

Scott,
You like, love flattering.
And it is not that stylish

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:39 PM) : 

that scarf is from anthropologie. well put together!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:40 AM) : 

you seem to take a lot of pictures of people with scarves. i'm on to you buddy... oh yes

 

Anonymous groovergreen said ... (1:07 AM) : 

Blimey! Could it be ... CYCLIST CHIC? A concept that is normally a contradiction in terms but, thanks to this awesome creature, no longer? The dashes of fluorescence against the workaday neutrals are brilliant (in both senses). And of course, she has the nice athletic bod to make it all work.
Meanwhile, to all those tiresome folks who tut-tut about anyone aged 15-plus who dares to wear a flash of colour -- put a sock in it, you boring conservative fogeys. The urban streetscape, with its endless grey cement and stone, is exactly where one should pop up with a bright orange scarf and a cute smile!

 

Anonymous melanie said ... (8:05 PM) : 

Good for her! Great energy and personal style. And how refreshing that she's reading something other than an fashion mag! And the DIMPLES!!! Forget it. She's great.

 

Anonymous Chic Behavior said ... (8:17 PM) : 

Neon is awesome!


http://chicbehavior.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous edith said ... (9:09 AM) : 

I personaly don't like this outfit, and as a response to "Beautiful nothing"'s post, I'am trying to analize why exactly I don't dig it.
I think it's the texture and shape of the jacket. I like the colour but not the sporty texture and flare at the back. This is the sort of outfit I would imagine for a country walk, not in an urban setting.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:50 PM) : 

her gloves are soo cute!

i think her outfit has a little too much neon, but very brave!

BEAAAUUTTIFUL SMILE.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting