This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street....Back to Barcelona, Spain

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, February 04, 2010

On the Street....Back to Barcelona, Spain

Some of my Barcelona shots had to wait till the GQ issue I was shooting them for finally hit the stands.

When I first saw this guy from across the street, I thought he was wearing some kind of crazy suspenders. As it turns out he had just delivered some art supplies....sometimes confusion breeds inspiration. I mean, suspenders that hook into your belt loops seems very Ann Demeulemeester

Comments on "On the Street....Back to Barcelona, Spain"

 

Blogger Beverly. said ... (8:20 AM) : 

Brilliant rugged chicness; I love how he uses hardware as accessory.

 

Anonymous Cecylia said ... (8:23 AM) : 

Why is he wearing fishing hooks? He looks a bit like Keanu Reeves

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:26 AM) : 

His scarf's motive is the ultra-typical Argentinean 'guarda pampa', design that traditionalist gauchos wear in the ponchos, vests and belts.

 

Blogger Gon said ... (8:26 AM) : 

He looks cool! And you're rigth very a la Ann Demeulemeester! Oh.. you have to come to Portugal some day!


www.dimogonda.blogspot.com

 

Blogger gina marie said ... (8:31 AM) : 

hello, he's mine

 

Blogger Kathleen said ... (8:32 AM) : 

What is it about Europeans? I have followed/lived fashion all my life. Why now, do my eyes open and see for the first time how far behind them we are here in North America? Don't get me wrong, there are some very good looking well put together Americans out there. I know this because I see them on your blog, but somehow we are different. We don't seem to have the consistently effortless flow or should I say natural feel for fashion that comes out of Europe. This young man, a delivery guy, is wearing an outfit he put together. At this young age, he is already developing his own look. I adore him from head to toe. Oh to be in Barcelona and smell the orange blossoms.

 

Anonymous The Photodiarist said ... (8:39 AM) : 

Fantastic scarf. What wonderful eclectic style. As for the "suspenders", I wondered about those before I read what you wrote.

 

Blogger Emilie said ... (8:39 AM) : 

He looks so cool! Great shot! I love Barcelona!

 

Blogger JouJou Loves You said ... (8:40 AM) : 

He looks so warm and cozy. I love the laid back chic.

I want to be a boy!!!!!

 

Anonymous blinky palermoo said ... (8:50 AM) : 

His trousers look like sweat pants. A man should only wear sweat pants in public if he's given up on life and even then it's not a good idea.

 

Blogger Hazel said ... (8:53 AM) : 

Superb

 

Blogger Tegshee said ... (9:06 AM) : 

scarf and hat... nice style

 

Blogger riviera t. (tania bucci) said ... (9:10 AM) : 

* meraviglia!

www.rivieramare.blogspot.com

 

Blogger DENNI said ... (9:20 AM) : 

DEFINETELY LOVE IT.
GREAT ONE.








XX
CHICMUSE

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:20 AM) : 

what a nice dude!

http://sippli.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger mustownmore said ... (9:26 AM) : 

Hmmm. I like! If Jason Lee wasn't a scientologist, grew up in Europe and liked escaping the city for a bit of adventure sports...this would be him.

But as a girl I will just chat him up and then steal the scarf.

 

Blogger Lauren said ... (9:26 AM) : 

I love the scarf and makeshift belt.

authentic hipster right there.

 

Blogger Raul Bonatiu said ... (9:27 AM) : 

welcome to barcelona scott!

 

Anonymous Purse Girl said ... (9:34 AM) : 

I like the top half, not to sure about the trousers...
I'm going Barcalona soon, let's see if I meet him.

 

Blogger C A said ... (9:43 AM) : 

Am I the only one who finds him similar to Josh Groban?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:46 AM) : 

effortless great. I want to meet him.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:54 AM) : 

Bungee cords-why not?!! And no, he is not wearing sweat pants, unless they now have belt loops, zipper and button fly. Creative chap.

 

Anonymous Joanna Roman said ... (9:55 AM) : 

AUUUUU!!! He is a total beauty!!!
Oh my God!
And I just love his "scoundrel" alike style!

Definitely, this guy makes my heart stop beating!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:58 AM) : 

I wonder if he was from Argentina, because of the scarf. I want one know!

 

Blogger Terry Bell said ... (10:05 AM) : 

Kathleen said...

What is it about Europeans? I have followed/lived fashion all my life. Why now, do my eyes open and see for the first time how far behind them we are here in North America?


Hey Kathleen... i think that being focused on beauty on a daily basis does much to promote an effortless style. Over time, grace and elegance and balance become part of the everyday vocabulary.

 

Blogger Rob Boddice said ... (10:06 AM) : 

I used to have suspenders that hooked into my belt loops when I was a five-year-old school starter. Wonder what happened to them...
beingmanly suspenders and braces

 

Blogger Javier Lentino said ... (10:07 AM) : 

Thought you would like to know that the pattern in the scarf comes from pampa indians in Argentina. If original, kind hard to get and very expensive.
Great pictures as always !

Cheers

 

Blogger Christina said ... (10:23 AM) : 

Spanish men are just hot, period.

fridayswithcilantro.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Nadine2point0 said ... (10:29 AM) : 

Such a cool look. He doesn't seem like the type of guy that would let you take a photo to demonstate his sense of style...
I always wonder how you approach these naturally stylish, yet, laissez-faire men?

 

Blogger Donald said ... (10:33 AM) : 

i agree with Christina.. Spanish men are so yummy.. next to the Greeks and the Brazilians..

 

Anonymous girlie said ... (10:35 AM) : 

doesnt he look a lot like jake gyllenhaal?

 

Anonymous Singapore Short Stories said ... (10:35 AM) : 

Cool!

 

Blogger Raffy_SY said ... (10:39 AM) : 

@Kathleen: As an Spaniard + South Korean (mixed) person I can tell you guys that simply said is not a matter of style only... They have the atmosphere, architecture, way of life and personality ... My girlfriend is European (from Gyula,Hungary) and she says that Americans are trying to be European and not create and forge an unique style... For example for them when they see someone with a BIG Tory Burch logo it says... American + has money + no "personal" style...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:42 AM) : 

This guy looks like the typical Argentinean so called artist immigrant in Barcelona - there are tons of them, look for them in the artsy hippy markets or near the Gothic neighbourhood. But honestly, do not expect much fashion...

 

Anonymous Tatel said ... (10:50 AM) : 

We shot him a couple of couple of years ago. Pablo is really stylish and he is also an artist...If i am not wrong i think he plays in a band.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:50 AM) : 

I just saw this in my husband's GQ! The Spanish are so stylish.

 

Blogger Ljubica said ... (10:54 AM) : 

he looks so ridiculously cool

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:14 AM) : 

one word: YES!

 

Blogger Megui said ... (11:19 AM) : 

awh, i had to see thoso pictures you took in my city, barcelona.
actually, i heard about you after left: i read that interview in "la vanguardia" and i felt in looove with your style, and your pictures and all of yours.
okay, enough.
hope to see more pics from spain.
love.
margarita.

 

Anonymous Cindy said ... (11:25 AM) : 

Be still my heart.

 

Blogger Thomas Modeen said ... (11:31 AM) : 

So, are multi-use rubber bands the next 'must have' accessory..?!

 

Anonymous Paul said ... (11:33 AM) : 

the makeshift belt reminds me of the shoelace belts skateboarders have been wearing for years. very comfortable look he has here.

intenorandvogue.wordpress.com

 

Blogger ColorHater said ... (11:36 AM) : 

What a funny guy :)

http://fashion-colorhater.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Lemon for breakfast said ... (11:54 AM) : 

I really like the post "A Graceful Man, A Gentleman"! :)

 

Anonymous grizzlesnort said ... (11:56 AM) : 

I NEED that scarf.

 

Blogger Cosima said ... (11:58 AM) : 

I bet my head he is Argentinean, not only because of the scarf (really has to be a poncho) but his complexion, color and overall look.

I so much look forward to your visiting Argentina. I guess yo could get some very interesting shots. Being a country that is permanently in crisis, the creativity stands in for the lack of shopping. Should be great.

 

Blogger Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said ... (12:02 PM) : 

Ha, I like the story behind the picture :) Photos that have a story are always the best

 

Blogger Carina R.S. said ... (12:04 PM) : 

Did you talked with him? There is any chance that he is Argentinian? I have the same scarf and is made in Argentina. He looks more Argentinian than Spaniard: the long hair, the beard, the old coat, very Argentinian.

 

Blogger Fauvette de mon âme said ... (12:07 PM) : 

He just looks lovely, and has a very kind face.

 

Blogger FASHION SNAG said ... (12:08 PM) : 

I enjoy his scarf! He is pretty cute too. xo

www.FashionSnag.com

 

Anonymous inma ortiz said ... (12:09 PM) : 

hombre!!!!
por fin una ciudad española

 

Anonymous Terry said ... (12:11 PM) : 

A bit unkept for me but I love the accessories.

mysocietynewyork.com

 

Anonymous Cristina López de Ugalde said ... (12:13 PM) : 

Scott, you must visit more frecuently Spain... Is a mixed stile between english and italian way of to be dressed that make it unique, absoluty personal and fresh. Simply... Spanish style.

 

Blogger Catherine said ... (12:16 PM) : 

I love the vivid colors and that little belt!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:23 PM) : 

I believe is the tipical spanish hippy... there is a millium of them in Barcelona (and, unfortunately, they aren't fashion but exceptions like this...). There is more stylist people in Barcelona...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:39 PM) : 

i love that scarf! such a cool pattern


xoxo,
F

lekisskiss.blogspot.com <-- Texas gal bloggin fashion from NYC!

 

Blogger Sniurk said ... (12:41 PM) : 

vraiment fraiche la tenue
j'aime beaucoup

 

Anonymous Natalie said ... (12:53 PM) : 

Quite unique. A true show of "individual style". I like it.

 

Blogger Agnes Satorra said ... (1:04 PM) : 

Great photo, thanks for comming to Bcn!

 

Anonymous Edgar C said ... (1:40 PM) : 

I like the folksy, 70s vibe going on here. Kinda like Pacino in Serpico.

Love Barcelona.

 

Anonymous Ave said ... (1:41 PM) : 

I would hit on him for sure!

 

Blogger Shoelosophy said ... (1:50 PM) : 

totally it would be sooo Ann Demeulemeester!!! I havent seen those kind of hooks since in was little and went boating with my dad.

-Annie

 

Blogger ADJ said ... (2:11 PM) : 

Awesomely handsome and rugged. Its like Boulder, CO meets the Swiss Alps. Lovely in every sense.

www.greeneggsandglam.blogspot.com

 

Blogger madison. said ... (2:16 PM) : 

I love love love your blog. I follow habitually. Please check out mine sometime.

http://www.madisonreece.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Alice D. Millionaire said ... (2:24 PM) : 

oh, i want this man as my own! his head looks full of brilliance!
thanks for posting him.

alice d.

 

Blogger what dia like said ... (2:29 PM) : 

so man!!
www.whatdialike.com

 

Anonymous Toyota Sudden Acceleration Lawyers said ... (2:38 PM) : 

And this guy -- woohoo! That detailed belt, and accessories are great.

 

Blogger bravegrrl said ... (3:04 PM) : 

love it.. right up my alley, effortless and chic... love the red scarf looks thick and hearty like a rug :)

xo
bravegrrl.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Global Girl said ... (3:11 PM) : 

I'm in total agreement with Kathleen in regard to style/fashion seems to be in the genetic make up of Europeans. This guy looks great, I sooo love Barcelona.

 

Blogger John B Pritchett said ... (3:14 PM) : 

Always so great to see guys with uniqueness and individuality! Love the hat and belt!!!
johnbenjaminpritchett.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous goOodmorning said ... (3:23 PM) : 

Wooo-hooo what a colouring outfit! I love SPAIN!!!!

 

Anonymous Miss Jane said ... (3:43 PM) : 

Mr Sart. Love the octopus straps!! And his scarf is great. xxx

 

Blogger kiki said ... (3:56 PM) : 

wooahhh, HOT!

 

Blogger La chica said ... (4:25 PM) : 

We call it "octopus" in Spain, very useful...

 

Blogger SabinePsynopsis said ... (4:35 PM) : 

Fashion comes from art and art(ists) can be so fashionable...

 

Blogger CW said ... (4:40 PM) : 

He looks like Cat Stevens c. 1970. (I am so old).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:01 PM) : 

Argentine style definitely!

 

Blogger Sarah Grace said ... (5:05 PM) : 

I love this look. His scarf is wonderful. The hat reminds me of a fishermans...wuts around his neck and leg...are they just suspenders?

http://thebuzzonfashion.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous nanankepichu said ... (5:59 PM) : 

yes, he looks like argentinian. very handsome and great style.

 

Anonymous princess glee said ... (6:34 PM) : 

He looks big, like Jeremy Sisto playing a lumberjack.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:37 PM) : 

Heeeeyyyy... I'm so haapy you came to barcelona! I thought we weren't fashionable enough for you! I love rhis guys, I'll keep my eyes open while walking arround Passeig de Gràcia

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:52 PM) : 

this is just too awesome

 

Blogger iferneinez said ... (8:47 PM) : 

Barcelona people has such great style! This background looks like its close to the pier...i was just there a month ago and i want to go back!

 

Anonymous S. in Seattle said ... (12:03 AM) : 

"What is it about Europeans? I have followed/lived fashion all my life. Why now, do my eyes open and see for the first time how far behind them we are here in North America?"

I think part of the answer may be that, in my experience, Europeans are not hell bent on consumerism and owning everything they see. They find a few good pieces and put them together with flair and ease. Have you ever noticed the closets in Europe? Slim to none there, not many places to hid every trendy little item.

 

Anonymous Amber said ... (2:09 AM) : 

I think I have fallen inlove with this man.

 

Blogger Magicottage said ... (2:18 AM) : 

inspiration on the streets!

 

Blogger Mina said ... (3:48 AM) : 

Barcelona.This is only a very small portion of our strong power to surprise....Visit the South as well....you will be delighted.
Between crisis and inspiration.

 

Blogger Lemon for breakfast said ... (4:28 AM) : 

oohh Barcelona... the best city in the World!! haha (obviosly, I'm from there!)

 

Anonymous Alice said ... (5:44 AM) : 

I love it!

I am not surprised that you thought the guy was wearing some kind of statement piece - he looks so cool that the "art supplies" kind of blend in. I bet he did it on purpose!

 

Blogger MELISSA Z. said ... (5:50 AM) : 

So hippy-chic!

www.abitoffashion.com

 

Anonymous Gali said ... (7:42 AM) : 

More than the "suspenders", I'm really digging the scarf!

 

Blogger beths said ... (7:56 AM) : 

At last, BCN! Can't wait to see more on the blog. Ah, to be at Bar del Pi right now. This guy resembles my favorite waiter there.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:38 AM) : 

prety sure i'm in love. it's like "my so called life" grown up and spanish style.

 

Anonymous luciana said ... (11:54 AM) : 

His scarf is made in Argentina, I have exactly one like this!!!, it is inspired by gaucho's attire referencing a Pampas indian pattern.resim

 

Anonymous maría said ... (11:58 AM) : 

q bello!

 

Blogger Kiss Me Cruz said ... (12:00 PM) : 

Very interesting! Makes me want to keep looking. The taste level is also there. The color choices and mix of textures looks nice.

 

Blogger elodina said ... (12:18 PM) : 

Love the look, hes a bit little gael garciaesque...

♥ bettydarling.blogspot.com ♥

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:11 PM) : 

Can't get enough of hats....

 

Blogger Liliana P. said ... (2:44 PM) : 

Very handsome man indeed.


www.sweetandtenderfashionista.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Missy said ... (3:26 PM) : 

wow very nice. Bungee cords are so practical. he oozes style

 

Anonymous >>> ROXY MARJ said ... (4:27 PM) : 

OH! I LOVE I LOVE!!!! ;)

 

Blogger watcher reader thinker said ... (4:57 PM) : 

Mmm, I'll take two thanks...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:13 PM) : 

love this

 

Blogger Cobalt Violet said ... (8:30 PM) : 

Fabulous ... except maybe the bungee cords, unless perhaps he's in the middle of a move. Then they would be a must.

 

Anonymous mar said ... (11:04 PM) : 

definitivamente un gaucho argentino chic!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:16 AM) : 

yeah! eso es Barcelona, coño!
that scarf pattern... it smells like Reconquista. great accessories, great details.
any other pics from Spain?

 

Anonymous BarcaLo said ... (6:04 AM) : 

he's handsome!!and truely a unique style!viva espana!

 

Blogger TOTO said ... (8:17 AM) : 

lovely his necklace.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:44 PM) : 

un mot : sexy

 

Anonymous ElodieVeryPetit said ... (12:41 PM) : 

Gorgeous !

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:09 PM) : 

TUIS GUY IS ARGENTINO!

 

Anonymous Karina said ... (7:07 PM) : 

he's not spanish)

yet stunning. that scarf... you gotta know its story

 

Blogger Carina R.S. said ... (8:01 PM) : 

Everybody is saying the same: Is he or not Argentinian? Someone know him? I believe he is.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:27 AM) : 

Nice photo...those suspender looking things look like items used in India for the festival of Thaipusam. Found similar items on a report on CNN, so they look to be spiritual items, great fusion of culture into fashion!

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/02/07/malaysia.hindu.festival/index.html

 

Blogger ...Gabby? said ... (8:05 AM) : 

As this image prints out to tuck into my stylish little handbag, I'm packing my suitcase and heading to Barcelona!

How do you say, "Have you seen the guy with bungee cord suspenders around here recently?" in Spanish?

Love your blog...but *this shot* finally motivated me to say hello.

 

Blogger Jude said ... (8:00 PM) : 

wow!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:01 PM) : 

what is there not to love about his wardrobe! I'm hooked;)

 

Blogger memory of air said ... (8:14 PM) : 

his style is part of him. it is effortless and not put on in any way. it is considered yet not fussy.

that is sexy.

and inhabiting ones own self?

that is true style.

 

Blogger Retasroses Vintage said ... (9:01 PM) : 

Very stylish fella -- and what struck me, actually, is that he reminds me so much of Cat Stevens!!

 

Anonymous Jencine said ... (2:43 AM) : 

Here in American nobody would go out with the bungee cords around their neck... it would be unheard of! I think people in Europe live more freely and in the moment in general. It's nice to catch glimpses.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:22 PM) : 

it is love

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:28 AM) : 

I know this guy since he lived in Buenos Aires (he's Argie). He is a musician and studied Fine Arts (he paints really well too). He really doesn't take great pains to put his outfits together, but loves ethnic-like accessories such as that scarf and the handmade little belt (he does those for his friends and him).
Quite funny to find his pic here knowing him since he was a kid...

 

Blogger Carina R.S. said ... (10:08 PM) : 

I said that he was Argentinean!! I have the scarf!!! It is from Abrapampa, at etnic clothing store. I believe the store is close now.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting