This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Fashion Week - See You There Soon?

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, February 15, 2010

Fashion Week - See You There Soon?

With the growing number of fashion designers “live streaming” their fashion shows and the almost immediate availability of photographs online after the show, it has become less important for fashion editors to attend the shows.

Which opens the door to you, the fashion fan.

Don’t you think it’s only a matter of time before these shows are open to the public? With live streaming the designers are basically side stepping mainstream fashion media and speaking directly to you. It’s only a matter of time before a Marc Jacobs show is an event no different than Broadway or a Knick’s game (but, hopefully better than a Knick’s game).

I mean, let’s think about it, designers always say that one of their biggest expenses are fashion shows. It’s always one of the first things to get cut when times are hard. But, if they had the ability to sell tickets to these shows, it would actually become a profit maker instead of a necessary loss.

I see a day in the near future where editors and celebrities occupy the two front rows and an audience of fashion fans fill a venue with the ability to place orders as they leave on their hand held device, if they’re so inclined.

Would you pay to go to a show?

Mark my words; you’re not far away. Start picking out your outfit now and I’ll see you there.

Comments on "Fashion Week - See You There Soon?"

 

Blogger This love gets easier the more it's sung to said ... (12:56 PM) : 

I think they should sell tickets and stream them to movie theaters, the way the Met Opera does!

 

Blogger Alina said ... (12:57 PM) : 

I would love the opportunity to go to the shows. I hope it happens.

 

Blogger miss SLY!™ said ... (12:58 PM) : 

It would be rather fitting!

Unless of course the Fashion Gurus opt to keep their world exclusive, which is becoming less relevant by the season.

Thanks for the invite and see you soon :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:08 PM) : 

What a interesting topic Scott!!
My only concern is that if the designers starts selling tickets for the runway show, it will all come to a money issue, don't you think ?
Very interesting toughts, thanks for sharing

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:11 PM) : 

Oh yes, I will absolutely be there!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:12 PM) : 

Oh man, that'd be the day. I'd do it! It'd be like following your fav touring band around the country! It'd be sweet.

 

Anonymous Nancy said ... (1:19 PM) : 

Would I pay to go to a fashion show? Hell fucking yeah!!! Over a concert or play any day!

I remember years ago I managed to get seats to a Mary McFadden show. (I knew her maid!) I had no idea how breathtaking it would be to see the garments "live". It was one of the most profound sensory experiences of my life. Yes! Yes! Yes!

 

Blogger Mel said ... (1:21 PM) : 

I think it's a genius idea to stream live shows for everyone who loves fashion. I'm streaming right now :) I would definitely pay to see a well known fashion designer's work.

 

Anonymous suicide_blond said ... (1:22 PM) : 

id be there with bells on.. xoxo

 

Blogger Baron-Münchhausen said ... (1:22 PM) : 

Yes, I would like to buy a ticket to the fashion show. It's a show, so why not to buy a ticket?

 

Anonymous Diego Montoya said ... (1:24 PM) : 

Dear Sart,
what brillant idea! The crowd would not be filled with all those "blasés" fashion people, who have nothing to do there, but who spend their lifes bla bla bla without contributing effectively to the survival of fashion business!!

By the way, your photos with blue NY sky are great !
keep up the good work!

my very best

Diego Montoya

 

Blogger Chris said ... (1:27 PM) : 

I thhink it would be amazing to attend a show, even if we have to pay!

 

Blogger Ben Boskovich said ... (1:29 PM) : 

Tickets would probably be as overpriced as what the models are wearing!

 

Blogger davidikus said ... (1:31 PM) : 

I think your comment is spot on. In London, seats in many fashion shows are up for grabs. I knew a designer, who was making dresses for the ever-ubiquitous celebs. She once confessed to me she ran her show three or four times a day: one for the press & media, one for the buyers, and two for people who just paid to see the show. At some point, she was making more money from selling tickets to spectators (usually through high-end concierge services) than from selling dresses. Of course, the current recession have changed everything.

London is largely an exception, what with the fashion week being fairly modest in comparison with Milan & Paris, or even NY, but attracting disproportionate media coverage (the most talented English designers show their clothes outside London).

In the long run, it is likely fashion shows will turn into shows propers, with tickets sold to the highest bidders. In this event, it is likely a proper fashion show will still be held for buyers & media.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:32 PM) : 

I asked the same question in class. My fellow students in the 2nd year of design say it's not worth going unless you get offered a job backstage and can "touch" the fabrics and see the outfits close up, they think you might as well see it on tv or live stream as sitting all the way back you can't really see stuff properly. But to me it's like "hello, haven't you seen Funny Face??" I'd like to be there for the atmosphere. I'm not one to scream at stars, but I'm not sure if I could hold it in if I saw something truly devine like the latest collection by Ion Fiz..... I wanted to scream it's so lovely.

 

Blogger C A said ... (1:32 PM) : 

I don't think that will happen that way, because it's also a marketing act for editors to attend the shows, because they see others and are seen by the others, which is the most important part. Do you think it would be the same thing if Karl Lagerfeld don't show up at the end of the shows? Nop..
Plus, despite all the entertainment, the fashion shows are not for that purpose. They cost a lot of money, so they must sell.

 

Blogger Krysta Marie said ... (1:39 PM) : 

I would love to have the ability to pay to go to the shows I wished to see. I think the designers would benefit greatly from this as well.

Something they should seriously consider. See you there :)

 

Blogger Carly said ... (1:42 PM) : 

It would be a great idea to sell tickets to the shows so us mere mortals could witness the great collections first hand, but then would it be as exciting when one actually got invited to one. I can't wait for the day that I get an actual invite as a fashion insider.

www.dressedupdown.blogspot.com

 

Blogger San said ... (1:46 PM) : 

And there I was thinking that they do this already. Well, seems like the designers aren't that money-orientated as I thought. In any case I think this would be useful, for all sights.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:50 PM) : 

I just paid 75 DKK to see the Henrik Vibskov show at Copenhagen Fashion Week, and I would definitely do it again.

 

Blogger Abigail said ... (1:51 PM) : 

"sell tickets to these shoes" :)

Yes, I would probably attend.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:54 PM) : 

I can imagine members of the public being willing to pay to attend fashion shows, but only as long as the celebrities and other rich people continue to attend as well. Without that status elevation, I think the fashion shows would lose their appeal to many. But that might be good because it would leave seats open to those who simply love fashion and do not care about the status factor!

However, I can't imagine members of the public placing orders from a show -- who can afford these items?!! But if that's the segment of "the public" you mean, then that's a different thing.

 

Blogger Kelly said ... (1:55 PM) : 

I'd pay. Though I was content enough to stand outside the Alex Wang show on Saturday, observing attendees. Thank you and Garance for allowing a besotted fan to snap your picture. What a gorgeous, gracious couple you are. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:56 PM) : 

I don't know. I think that at first, many people would love to have a look. But after a short time, most of the excitement would wear off and then only the die-hards would remain.
I wouldn't want to go to a fashion show. What would I do there? It's not like I could afford to buy anything and I don't like fashion enough to sit still and watch people walk by. I'd rather sit in a café and watch people on the street walk by.
So no, I don't think all shows should do it. This way, it stays exclusive = interesting

 

Blogger Elisa @ Globetrotting in Heels said ... (1:57 PM) : 

That would be fantastic. Fashion needs to stop being such an elitist business and start being something that not only appeals to the masses but also approaches and is available to everyone - I don't care what the snobs say.

 

Anonymous princess glee said ... (1:57 PM) : 

All else in the world is changing and is flux. Surely the fashion world would re-invent, yes?

 

Blogger jill said ... (2:02 PM) : 

I had always assumed they charged for shows (how naive was I). This is the 1st year I'm actually applying for tickets (for London), and even allied with a pretty impressive fashion/publishing house, I'm still finding the process time consuming, and a lot like being in high school (only, I was more popular in high school, frankly).

One minute I'm in, the next, I'm rejected, then I'm back in, then they lost my details... not to mention keeping track of which PR company handles which show, & keeping all the names straight.. I can see why people have PA's!

Simply selling tickets - while leaving the first two rows for the people that live for this game - is such an elegant solution. IMHO.

 

Blogger shopgracieb.com said ... (2:09 PM) : 

I wish they would sell tickets. I'd be there in a heartbeat!

 

Blogger Chateaux Interiors said ... (2:12 PM) : 

Yes...I would so do it! I think it will happen very soon...speak write to the consumer..it just makes sense!

 

Blogger The Bambina said ... (2:13 PM) : 

If tickets were availible, I would most definetly attend. But would that would take away the exclusivity of the fashion industry? And... what sort of people would attend? Rich New Yorkers? Bloggers from far and wide? Tourists wanting to experience the glitz?
I feel like simply seeing collections on style.com is enough for me until I become a fashion writer!

 

Anonymous coque said ... (2:16 PM) : 

Sometimes ease and common sense is the answer to hard problems.

I can´t figure out the reasons for non letting people to watch and enjoy the shows.

Maybe the irrational attemp to make it exclusive or snob.

Just think on the succes of a showroom after the last oscar de la renta show...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:19 PM) : 

I so agree! Smart marketing/revenue maker for the ateliers and a live pleasure for fan shoes :)

 

Anonymous LuLu Lorrene said ... (2:19 PM) : 

I would pay! And I think there's a huge market for people that would...designers can always reserve the front row for "invite only" and open up all or a portion of the remaining for paying customers. Brilliant business plan!

 

Blogger Elisa said ... (2:20 PM) : 

I´m sure it would happens soon, fashion is becoming a mode more than ever.

http://timetimetravelers.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:28 PM) : 

I find it bizarre you can not do so already.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:33 PM) : 

Hell yes, I'd pay to go to a show. Whoops, a little excited there. I spend a lot of time online looking at live streaming or the day after the shows. I have my favorites, my muses, certain designers that really get my juices flowing both as an artist and as a way to push myself to another level of self expression when dressing. When access to these shows becomes so easy; we loose the impact, the wow factor. Even though you can see people clapping their hands when a particularly great number enters the catwalk, the real excitement and joy of creation is lost in translation. One day when I was at MOMA, I just stood there and watched people take digital photographs of live art. I found this to be both sick and extremely interesting. Why? I asked myself, why would they do this? You can't explain some peoples actions. We have lost a lot of what was very special because of the technical age. I am dating myself here a bit, but I remember what it was like before one could click a button or hit "start" and the world was at your fingertips. In some ways, I miss this older times. Slow down and listen, look, and really get an eye full. Its good for your brain! And really great for the creative side of one's self.

 

Anonymous Roberta said ... (2:37 PM) : 

Last year at Toronto fashion week, there were a limited number of seats available to the public for certain shows. I think for about $75 you could get something like a day pass. I think it's a great idea.

 

Blogger M. Oakes said ... (2:40 PM) : 

would i pay to see a show?

abso-friggin-lutely. i've got a closet full of "ensembles" waiting.

this just goes to show that the (heavy quotes here) "proletariat" are slowly making their move for domination.

we've seen the music industry cry as consumers began to revolt against the tyrannical rule of record industry execs. the only way to remedy these situations is to speak directly to the public...so i can't wait.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:41 PM) : 

I think its all kept under wraps because the designer wants to be first out of the gate with something and there is a least a chance to be first with it. If everything is really transparent then some part of the profit cycle is gone. Then again we may be returning to a time when individual tailoring is dominant and mass production recedes as a business model.

 

Anonymous honeybeeandmeblogspot said ... (2:48 PM) : 

Dear Scott,

I would pay to go to a fashion show!! There must be a reason this has not happened as it can not be an ideal that hasen't already been thougt of???
I would not buy there, as I often love to get clothing, and believe me, I have gotten some amazing cloths for a fraction of the cost of buying at a show....

Does any one feel the way I do about loving the hunt of high end clothing at a discount for the original price...

Keep in mind that often I may buy something right away if it moves me in a deep way and then I just adjust what I have left from that.....


Kiss and love to you,
Melissa (Lamy, NM)

 

Blogger Angeles Almuna said ... (2:49 PM) : 

Fabulosamente fabulous!
Kisses

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:49 PM) : 

i believe this has been long overdue... i believe fashion blogs like yours have made it more accessible to the true consumer what real/true fashion.. it is not always what we see on the runway, but rather an expression of ourselves, an eye for what is classic and timeless, and sometimes just working with what you have in the closest..

because of that i believe there is been a sort of reactionary effect from fashion designers.... as their pieces skyrocket in prices, consumers in a time of recession, have cut back...

there is definitely more of a relationship between designers and the street consumer nowadays then in past...

so you are correct, i can see tickets being sold on craigslist in the near future... i dont know why they havent already done so...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:56 PM) : 

I agree to sell tickets to publics and designers can make profits out of it and they can focus more on the designing garment.
when I was in Seoul, South Korea, I remember that people paid to see the fashion week show(I don't remember exact name but people called it SFAA)
and people in Seoul they always wanted to go see shows.
I think selling ticket is really great ideas for designers & people who always want to go to fashion show.

 

Anonymous anais_et_chloe said ... (2:59 PM) : 

I have been at several fashion shows. It is generally more tiresome that entertaining experience if you have to get to several places a day and do not have car.
But I also was thinking some days ago that probably designers will start to sell tickets or just invite normal people to be more democratical. I guess some Swedish designer did both.
Or the option could be just photograph collection and post on-line, saving money on show.

 

Anonymous sioux said ... (3:05 PM) : 

might be an idea, personally I prefer to pay an internet connection and watch the show from the comfort of my home. I believe that the future of fashion is online, broadcast live catwalks from the company that produces the clothing line, without audience, without photographers, like a conference online, in high definition, downloadable in details, with a section reserved for buyers who from the comfort of their office or home can manage their work,in a much more relaxed and happy way.

 

Blogger anna kim said ... (3:29 PM) : 

what a splendid idea

 

Blogger Kate M. said ... (3:34 PM) : 

I think it would be an incredible fusion of the interested public and the designer wanting to sell their products. I would most certainly pay big bucks to go to the fashion week shows of NYC and Paris!

 

Anonymous sara said ... (3:35 PM) : 

I like the live streaming shows and i think it would be great to have the possibility to buy tickets to see one, but i guess it could be a kind of war to find tickets considering all the people who would have them and the numbers of seats there can be. Anyway i hope designers will decide for it.

 

Blogger camone said ... (3:37 PM) : 

Great Idea!

 

Anonymous Francesco said ... (3:38 PM) : 

This sounds like a tragic scenario...but of course everyone agree

 

Blogger BB said ... (3:46 PM) : 

i just gasped at the possibility of this fashion fan's dreams coming true. say it IS (and will be) so!

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (4:02 PM) : 

I'd pay to attend Dries Van Noten, Marc Jacobs or John Galliano. I'm not sure runway shows are destined to become like sporting events though. I think it's more likely designers will scrap the runway altogether in favor of some sort of digital presentation online.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:14 PM) : 

Dear Sart,

Despite the fact that I would love to attend all the shows, look at all the pretty people, but most of all walk by you millions of times so you would be forced to take a picture...I think it is a bad idea (the forcing and the fashion tickets)!

Fashionshows are a mystery...something people dream about (estimated in the comments above). Someone like you knows the hard amount of work and effort you have put into your career in fashion. I am not saying the shows should be less accessible for the public...but the crowd filled with everybody who thinks it is 'just fun' to go to the shows is not something I would like to see in the near future.

I like your Blogger improvement! Have a nice day.

 

Anonymous Auré,Val &Annie said ... (4:14 PM) : 

' Coming !

 

Anonymous I.A. said ... (4:17 PM) : 

I'm sure they've already thought of this and decided it wouldn't work out that well, for some reason I don't know. Because if they wanted to do that, then why not start shows in D.C. or Boston? =/
Though I wouldn't mind attending a show in N.Y. maybe once just to say "Yeah, I've done that", it wouldn't really change me since I'm technically not part of the fashion world. Plus, I'd just waste money attending instead of buying them.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:22 PM) : 

YEES!! It would be so great, I would stop stealing invites from my room mate and sneaking in shows and having to invent all sorts of answers when people ask me "So, are you a photographer?" "Ehm, no" "Ah, you're a stylist then?" "Eeeehm, no..." etc etc.

But the prices would need to be accessible. no 100$ or over tickets (at least not for standing)...

L.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:38 PM) : 

I WOULD LOVE TO ATTEND A BIG FASHIONSHOW!

So that would be really nice, but I think that fashionshows are also something exclusive! There could also come in people who attack the models and ruin the clothes so.. Maybe not a very good idea:(

X

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:55 PM) : 

Kind of a difficult one to answer. Whilst I think it would be great to experience such a grand event as the fashion show I feel that such a feeling could diminish with the introduction of selling seats.

I believe the reason why there is so much excitement about the prospect of sitting at a show comes from the exclusivity that surrounds the fashion show. Being able to watch a fashion show is exciting because a great portion of the public is excluded.

This doesn't mean I think it isn't a great idea. I would personally love the opportunity to watch such grand creations in action on the runway. What I question is whether our excitement would continue as the years passed with the shows open to the public.

 

Blogger Ljubica said ... (5:01 PM) : 

That would be amazing! I would definitely go to a show. Though I must say, algernonbelmont brings up a good point - how long will the excitement last? I mean it's definitely possible that it could last a long time. And if it does, will it have the same effect, the same excitement? I mean, people do still flock to sporting events of all kind and have been doing so for years, why wouldn't fashion shows have the same turn out and fan support?

 

Blogger Dango said ... (5:19 PM) : 

Montreal fashion week has begun to sell a limited number of tickets to certain areas of the show. At very reasonalbe prices, I think its great! Gets people away from the computer and out apprectiating something otherwise unaccesable (expecially highfashion opposed to streetwear).

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:27 PM) : 

This is a great topic... and it has to do with more than just fashion shows, but more the democratization of fashion.

Things like style and taste have a great dependence on exclusivity. What is "in" or "out" is decided, not by merely giving preference to one "look," but by also excluding those "looks" which do not necessarily conform to the chosen theme or motif. It is this concept that has inspired (amazing) blogs, such as this one: ones with an overall message that fashion/style/taste is subject and can be valued outside of social construction and (exclusivity).

Yet, sites and objectives such as this (slightly counter-culture, if you will...but please don't take that in a negative connotation...) are also formed in response to the culture.

Fashion shows are not only a venue for presentation, but also create a social atmosphere for those within the industry to communicate and exchange. And this venue is the forefront for the construction of the tastes and trends for the season. They are exclusive for a reason.
(I have a sincere belief that if designers could truly profit of the event itself, they would.)

The value of a fashion show, and ultimately the value of fashion culture rests solely in its exclusivity. To open fashion shows to the public, to give them a capitalist structure, will ultimately lead to a decreased value, and surely the demise of the industry.



(if the role of theatrics within fashion shows are already being criticized, can you imagine if fashion shows were produced purely for their entertainment purposes?)

 

Anonymous e said ... (5:29 PM) : 

I've long had a like/dislike relationship with the fashion world. I like the clothes and artistic expression, dislike the exclusivity. To me, being included or excluded based on who you are or who you know is very last-millennium. The same goes for getting into the hottest club (I'd be way happier in a dive bar listening to great music without a 'scene' but maybe I'm just getting old.) So I think that opening the shows to the public would be very cool and would be something that over time would be attended by those who really do love and care about it (as opposed to those there just for the scene). But maybe not, as the fashion scene does have that sort of rock star draw to it. I am an artist by trade, and by being open and not snobby, I have found collectors from all walks of life, and from very unlikely places. I'm certain the same goes for designers. I do wish they employed models from more diverse walks of life (age, size, ethnicity).

 

Anonymous darlene said ... (5:31 PM) : 

I would definitely attend a fashion show if the price of the tickets is right and they were presenting the work of a designer I was interested in.

 

Anonymous Emily McGuire said ... (5:33 PM) : 

I've been to some fashion shows here in Australia and they're super exciting! However I think most of that enjoyment comes from how exclusive the experience is. I think it would be extremely difficult to maintain such an auroa if the general public were able to attend at fashion week, weakening the value of the experience.

The cinema idea sounds achievable though.

Also to Elisa, I don't think high fashion is ever going to be less elite. The entire concept of dress is founded on elitism. Without the heirarchy, the process of the bubble-up and trickle-down effects, which mass producers rely on so heavily would be destroyed. That's what Zara and Topshop are for.

 

Blogger Lisa E Staples said ... (5:34 PM) : 

Fashion is an industry and we NEED the industtry to survive. Great idea and I applaud your none elitist stance. Take a peak at you own work, your subjects are stylish, provactive, and always interesting, they didn't need stylits, I think you just raised the bar, Lisa

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:36 PM) : 

I think that before the Marc Jacobs shows are open to the public they should be open to the employees of the company. Wouldn't that be nice?

 

Anonymous Grace said ... (5:42 PM) : 

I live in Sydney, and each season they do a regular fashion week, which is for the media, and then a fashion festival, for which the public can buy tickets. A show at fashion festival normally just has a few looks from five or six designers, although some of the heavy hitters like Alex Perry will have their own show. It's so fantastic to have the opportunity to go and watch the shows, even if they're a pared down version of fashion week.

www.cultofclothes.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:09 PM) : 

Yep, count me in!

 

Anonymous Classic Copenhagen said ... (6:34 PM) : 

Oh, I love your writing posts! And I do believe you are right. Maybe the shows will be held at different venues, with an inner crowd, and a balcony section. People will dress up and bring opera glasses. The hype is not about to go away. Quite the opposite. Thank you for asking.

Sandra

 

Blogger Emily said ... (6:56 PM) : 

i would certainly pay to see a show. i imagine, though (and i'm totally making this up, as i've never been to a show before) that opening it to the public like that would make it lose some its charm and allure...

xx

 

Blogger Graham Hutson said ... (7:36 PM) : 

It seems obvious now you mention it. If they priced the tickets right they could guarantee attendance.
But perhaps some designers would be too worried about empty houses to go through with it. Let's face it, some already pay celebrities to ensure attendance.

www.openzedoor.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Lisa Petrarca said ... (7:42 PM) : 

Definitely think you're onto something here.

Publish this article in a magazine & watch how soon you've created a new $$ maker.

To bad you couldn't patent the idea...people would have to come to you to set up all there shows (cha ching cha ching...hahahha!)

 

Blogger Hapsical said ... (7:44 PM) : 

But surely if it *was* actually possible to attend fashion shows nobody would want to any more...

People are always obsessed with what they can't have, and we're very accustomed now to getting what we want, yet fashion shows have remained stubbornly closed, and quite rightly I say!

I find it interesting that many of the commenters here seem just to want to go to *a* fashion show, any fashion show, not noting anything specific they're interested in.. and often it seems as if they're most interested in getting dressed up and being seen, not in seeing actual collections... but of course if the no-access policy was loosened, that appeal of 'exclusivity' would be gone in an instant, just leaving people who are actually interested in the design, history, processes etc. of fashion.

I think because of the buzz in the media, and in the minds of fashion fans, surrounding the shows it's just a craze, a fad, typical scarcity-driven marketing... short-term desire fulfilment is what everybody wants these days, and bonus points of course if the object of desire is hard to get.

Fashion is very 'democratic' at the moment in almost all respects, except for the shows. And why should they be? Online fashion fans seem to think that attendance at fashion shows should be some sort of a human right, merely because they are interested.

Fashion shows are trade events: the public has no right to be there, and no need to be there (and I speak as a member of the public myself)!

To get a feeling of the atmosphere you can watch show videos. You can see photos and close-ups from all different angles on numerous free websites. If you want to see the clothes close-up you can view them in stores when they arrive. Hell, you can even dress up in them then, and take pictures in the fitting room mirror with your cellphone. Just because you have a (passing) interest it doesn't mean you deserve to attend these trade preview events (unless you are perhaps a very big spending client). If you really want to attend fashion shows you can get a job in the fashion industry and try working hard to get there, instead of expecting to be able to pay for instant gratification.

You can't always have everything you want just because you're interested in it.. it is just mindless want, want, want. I am interested in art as well as fashion, and I buy art sometimes, but I don't expect to be able to buy my way into art openings and industry events just because I am interested. I am obsessed with some artists, but I don't expect to be able to buy gratuitous access to related non-public events because of this. Fashion is no different.

I would be surprised if designers started selling tickets.. not least because if people could attend they'd start to see through the media-driven hype and buzz that surround the shows, and the whole illusion would start to collapse.

If anything at all, I think designers should put on some sort of public exhibition, or public-only runway show, and sell tickets to those: that way the 'real' shows could still generate buzz by being 'exclusive', and only genuine fashion fans would attend: those just in it to be seen and be part of an exclusive world for the afternoon (without having had to work hard or cultivate talent) would be weeded out.

 

Blogger Selfish said ... (8:08 PM) : 

This is such an interesting prediction. I could definitely see this being something exciting. I just hope people would still put in the effort to get dressed up for the shows and they don't become casual events.

 

Blogger Sonja Blackham said ... (8:44 PM) : 

I would rather pay to see shows at Fashion Week than pay for any other show available out there!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:47 PM) : 

An exciting prospect!!!! :D

 

Blogger Lauren said ... (9:09 PM) : 

I would definitely go to a show, as long as ticket prices where reasonable. And i can definitely see it happening. It'd be fabulous to see runway shows become a little less elitist and snobby and more accessible for people like me. Middle-class, and not really able to afford more than one or two pieces a season, but who love seriously love fashion and have more than a passing interest in it. Though i imagine that ticket costs alone would dissuade those with just a passing interest. I remember when Micheal Kors auctioned off on eBay tickets and backstage passes to one of his shows a few years ago, with all the profits going to charity. I forget how much it ended up fetching, but i know it was a lot of money $1,000+. So that means there is definitely strong interest there, and that was before the global economy went down the tubes.

 

Blogger Danisha said ... (9:09 PM) : 

I know that the MOntreal fashion week is not as big as in NYC or Paris, but to see the shows we can buy last minute tickets :)
http://montrealfashionweek.ca/last_minute/index.php?lang=en

visit me: www.danishazéblogspot.com

 

Blogger Nicole said ... (9:20 PM) : 

Well, they better start opening they're shows. They designers take months just seeing what the "Customer" is going to be wearing or feeling like next season. They tailor their whole shows toward the Customer. Well, aren't we the Customer? We have more of a right to be there than the celebrities etc. We're the ones who pay them, to make up for the cost of the show!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:24 PM) : 

ooooooh yesss I would actually...itd be another attraction of New York!
sounds so exciting =)

 

Blogger Kat said ... (9:32 PM) : 

All this makes me think of is the stink most editors have made over Tavi attending shows. They believe attending a fashion show is a rite of passage, i can only imagine the horror they would express having us mere mortals in the same room.

 

Blogger BienvenidoaDespues said ... (9:46 PM) : 

interesting concept. i did pay to see a fashion show this season, the fashion for relief haiti show on fri. it lived up to my every expectation, but was happy that the money raised in ticket sales went to CARE; it made the entire experience more fulfilling for me. i'm not sure how i feel about your proposal ... isn't that what product sales and, therefore, the very concept of shows are all about?

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:07 PM) : 

So true Scott. Yes, I would pay to see a show from a favorite designer. I wouldn't go just to go. It seems like a win/win/win for designers. Paid fashion shows, instant ordering of their pieces, and nanosecond coverage of their show by bloggers such as myself. Tell me when and I'd be there!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:26 PM) : 

I would never pay for a ticket... I don't believe fashion shows are entertainment events. If they were they would sell popcorn :)

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (10:31 PM) : 

I am the only one on this blog that would NEVER pay to see a fashion show. NEVER.

Why should I, if I would receive all these invitations? If there are tickets for a fashion show, the real fashion-addict people wouldn't be able to attend a show anymore because all these anti-fashion ladies / wannabes are going to be sleeping in front of the ticketshop and buy all the tickets for themselves and their wannabe-fashionable-friends. And every good show is going to be filled with people who aren't supposed to be at the show.

 

Blogger Alice Liddell Blog said ... (10:47 PM) : 

I would DEFINATELY pay to go to a show!! They already have a couple of events during the year here in Sydney where some local designers will put on a show at "Fashion Weekends" for the public to view - for a small price we get the experience we'd otherwise miss out on!

 

Blogger najee said ... (11:39 PM) : 

That would be fantastic but... those more prominent consumers of the brand being presented already are asked to attend the shows. Yes those editors and buyers are in the front row but all those other chairs are filled with the high level consumers who may be celebs or stylists or rich house wives from somewhere Texas. I digress, Yes I would pay for fashion week tickets see you soon Paris.

http://tresfraisnajee.blogspot.com/

http://tresfraisnajee.tumblr.com/

 

Blogger Justine Ray said ... (12:05 AM) : 

I would be there in less than a heart beat! no question. I think a fashion show would be such an amazing experience and opportunity!

 

Blogger lintmag said ... (12:29 AM) : 

For YEARS I have wondered why designers don't sell videos of their older shows - I would definitely pay to have the Galliano, Gaultier or McQueen box set of their runway shows! Just like a space of time between a movie in a theater and the dvd, it would come out after all the press and everything were done.
What would the problem be - it seems like it would make a huge profit for the house. You could have "special features" like backstage, interviews with people, etc..

 

Blogger OH HELL CLOTHING said ... (12:35 AM) : 

I hear that's exactly what Henry Holland is planning!!

Paddy☮ xx

visit my blog LITTLE RAZZI here

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:00 AM) : 

HELL YEH I WOULD!!

 

Blogger nuno said ... (2:43 AM) : 

no way! then the next step would be paying to enter a flagship store?! the costs for producing the shows, as well as for communication and the advertising campaigns, are all included in the price of each item they sell... so why paying for the tickets?!

 

Blogger nuno said ... (2:49 AM) : 

and don't forget the origins of the very idea of a fashion show... how the haute couture ateliers hosted private viewings for the elite. for the fashion shows, the 'elite' would now be the (public) key opinion leaders. they spread the trend to early adopters and ultimately the 'word' goes to followers. if the 'followers' have direct access to the fashion show, they will then spread the word to... trend setters?! it's kind of distructive in my opinion... anyway, I insist: I would NEVER pay for a fashion show ticket. it's like buying a ticket at the launch of a car. the company has to convince me to buy the car, not me buying a ticket to see it... ridiculous!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:11 AM) : 

Interesting idea! But at the risk of sounding like a snob, there has to be another option. Socialites, editors, and celebs will never rub elbows with anyone who can just buy tickets. There has to be an element of exclusivity. It takes away the secretive specialness that is fashion week.

 

Anonymous Isobel Saoirse said ... (3:15 AM) : 

Exited!! OH, how I hope you are right in what you say. I dream to one day as a no extraordinary person sit and enjoy a fashion show as fashion is one of the things I burn for!

You are brilliant Scott!

 

Blogger Diane said ... (3:22 AM) : 

Hope this prediction it's true, cause it would be awesome for the fashion fans/fashion bloggers.

We'll wait and see :)

kiss

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:43 AM) : 

Tickets now on sale for L'Oreal Melbourne Fashion Festival in March if anyone is interested in seeing local designers on the runway: http://www.lmff.com.au. It's not such a new concept & works really well...

 

Blogger Emilie said ... (3:53 AM) : 

I would pay to see a show....I would love to have the opportunity to go!!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:17 AM) : 

Darn Sart. As a common mortal, if there's one show I'd have loved to see live it would've been a McQueen! `Runway dreamin' clashing with Savile Row trainin'' as you put it. :(
@lintmag: they used to have a TV program covering fashion shows back in the 90s I can't remember the name of... Very similar to the `package' you are suggesting.

 

Anonymous theyoohoogirl said ... (4:42 AM) : 

As much as I would love to attend a runway show, I wouldn't pay to get into one. Maybe I am just too arrogant to think that I should be invited. (Yah, I know, sounds arrogant!) But I don't know why... it feels wrong to pay for a ticket. Feel like it should be left exclusive. Sometimes I feel like fashion is becoming less and less of a dream. There isn't much mystery left to it. AS much as I enjoy fashion blogs, there is now way too many making it seem so not precious. However, I'm really happy that designers are streaming live their shows. Simply wonderful and makes us all feel a part of it.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:22 AM) : 

oh yeah!!!!!!! e x c i t e d about that!!! i can't wait to attend a Fendi show or a Chanel show, or an YSL show!
I think that designers should open the runway to the public because it would be the best advertisement possible. I mean, if I have to buy their clothes, what's better than a preview?!?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:04 AM) : 

I'd spent my whole monthly pay to attend one of those shows ! Great idea ! and thanks for the daily happiness...

 

Anonymous rolexnbitches. said ... (6:18 AM) : 

BAD ID ITS NOT SUPER BALL !!!THE HOLE PIONT OFF A SHOW IS TO PRESENT THE CLOTHES IN MOVEMENT ON THE IDEAL GIRL IN A IDEAL MOOD/SETTING .....WHERE BUYERS AND PRESS GET IN 15 MIN OR SO WHAT THE DESIGNER OR BRAND IS SAY THIS SEASON.

CAN WE FOCUS ON THE CRAFT THE MAKING BETTER THINGS PUSING THINGS FOWARD AND NOT ON A HOLLYWOOD ENTERTAIN FACTOR IT DOES NOT MAKE FOR BETTER CLOTHES NOR FASHION.

PLS

 

Anonymous Joanna Roman said ... (7:46 AM) : 

I think You are right, meaning you see the possible marketing opportunity in a proper light. Probability is quite high...

 

Anonymous Carole said ... (7:51 AM) : 

you're right. i don't think i would pay for most of them, and i like the little shows with the designers that are not yet known at all (not that i go often). but yes when you're right, you're right.

 

Blogger Danda said ... (8:35 AM) : 

I've heard about that before... some of Dirk Bikkembergs tickets for its Mens Sports Couture Show this year were also sold to fashion lovers who wanted to pay to see the show and the money raised had gone to charity.
I'd love to go and even pay a lot of money to live this amazing experience at least once in my whole life...

xxx
Danda at www.yourstylespy.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:08 AM) : 

I have no problem with your theory. Brands may want to prepare for agents demanding six or even seven figures before allowing their celeb to attend a show

 

Blogger Fede Cabrera said ... (9:46 AM) : 

You can pay to go to Buenos Aires Fashion Week... I'm a photo student and actually I'll pay to go there next week :)

 

Anonymous stylesparkler said ... (10:26 AM) : 

You can actually buy tickets to NYFW on stubhub and ebay...I have a friend who has gone a few years in a row usually more up and coming designers but she went to DVF for the total cost of $30.

 

Blogger Alice said ... (11:00 AM) : 

It's a dream for me to attend fashion shows of my favourite designers..I would definitely pay,a reasonable price though..

 

Blogger Jen O said ... (11:15 AM) : 

Paid shows?
When would they become more "fashion as entertainment" (if those shows aren't already) than "fashion as design"?
When would fine details, gorgeous fabric and fit go by the wayside in favor of theatrical punch and entertainment value?
I can hear it already--
management: "last show we didn't gross enough, we need to fill those houses with paid seats!"
designer: "but my designs don't show well on the camera"
management: "then change them!"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:40 AM) : 

I'd never buy a ticket to what is basically an overblown commercial. While I'd love to go, I refuse to pay for commercials, no matter how visually extravagant. We already glorify the vain enough.

 

Blogger Robbie said ... (11:58 AM) : 

that would be one step further in the democratization of the fashion industry and i would adore that!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:02 PM) : 

I think it's a fab idea! I think that in this manner the focus will be perhaps more on the garments, the real stars of fashion shows, rather than celebs. In response to some other ideas that are currently floating around: I think that even if designers decide to organise separate exclusive vip shows and non-vip shows it would be a success. I believe one way you can look at fashion shows is as a limited art gallery: on the opening night it's only the artist, the curator, the connaiseurs and the vips and after that , the 'gallery' opens for the general audience. I want to experince the collection in the same manner it was designed to be perceived, on the runway, with beutiful women showing the clothes off and I would love to pay for that!

 

Anonymous kagitsune said ... (12:26 PM) : 

Apparently, Japan has been doing this sort of thing since 2005: http://www.japanesestreets.com/reports/743/10th-tokyo-girls-collection-spring-summer-2010

... complete with instant mobile-phone buying.

 

Anonymous me said ... (1:07 PM) : 

If these designers are smart and most of them are. They would really benefit from allowing the buying public into the shows. I have had the privilege of attending the shows- I say privilege because everyone that was in attendance thought that they were the most exclusive creatures in the universe-
and they were ...lol

When you really think about it isn't that what these shows really are- entertainment. I know their purpose is to sell clothing and advertise. But people will pay for good entertainment

Actually the shows have a participatory factor.The people watching alone alone is worth the admission.

I paid to attend the Genart show featuring four designers- it was worth it

 

Blogger Shandi said ... (1:48 PM) : 

I have a feeling that if top fashion shows were open to the public...the allure would go away. Streaming shows live provides us a way to get the feeling of being in the "first row" as well as giving us the opportunity to see these collections as they're shown. I hope to one day be invited to a fashion show...especially during fashion week - it's a dream I want to reach for...not to buy.

http://www.intotheninth.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Amber said ... (2:28 PM) : 

See you soon Sart :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:42 PM) : 

This is a great social-entreprenurial idea, Scott!
I would have DEFINITELY paid to see an Alexander McQueen runway show but now one of my fav's is The Row - they are so "in-tune" and fashion forward - those sisters...
I'm not in the industry and I've always felt a bit of an outsider looking inside a window wishing for a real glimpse but I hope your idea takes root soon!

BTW, the other photo bloggers have nothing on you. They don't quite capture the "essence" of the individual...

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:47 PM) : 

That would just be soooo right.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:11 PM) : 

Yes I'd definately pay (good money) to see a live show, and I hope your idea takes off in the coming years, however it is also possible that this may not be a feasible concept, especially considering the continually growing number of designers, and depleting number of venues. It also has the potential to be an absolute PR nightmare, what with the public AND the celebs, designers, models, editors, paparazzi etc. I think it could work if there were a very limited number of tickets sold to the public and if maybe they could extend fashion week to fashion fortnight - which they may well have to do regardless.

 

Anonymous Dominic said ... (5:06 PM) : 

it was an idea tested by Antony Price and (if not mistaken) Thierry Mugler in the 80s.

 

Blogger so said ... (5:33 PM) : 

i think you are on to something...
YES, i would pay to see my favorites (@ the right price)!

 

Blogger Nat said ... (6:19 PM) : 

Yes, as long as it doesn't involve Ticketmaster.

 

Blogger Miranda Valentine said ... (9:33 PM) : 

I would be there in a New York (Paris, Milan...) minute!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:46 PM) : 

I'd pay to go to the shows! I once spot-marked for FashionFile...it would definitely be worth the $$ to go!

 

Anonymous Christine said ... (1:41 AM) : 

I actually don't understand how the whole "attending fashion shows" thing works! I guess you have to be famous and you get invited? I don't know... But yes, I certainly would pay (nothing exorbitant, mind you) to see a fashion show.

 

Blogger i.c. blogspot said ... (3:33 AM) : 

You've brought up a great topic, one with many pros and cons. As for myself, who has not yet attended a designer fashion show in my young career it is evident that over the past 2-3 years technology has allowed "live streaming" access to news of any kind at lightning speed.

Today we have young, brilliant, savvy, eager bloggers whose views on fashion has made an impact on the designers themselves, many of which now attend these designers shows, releasing immediate reviews and images. We have never seen accessibility to fashion like this before. Although this increases immediate excitement for the label, designs and ultimately revenue, I questions whether it reduces the anticipation and surprise when designs were conventionally unveiled to the public at a later date. With that said, public shows with paid tickets would generate huge revenues allowing these design houses to profit not only in the show itself but with potential sales by the time the finale piece walks down the runway.

However, I feel there is a parallel between allowing the public to attend what has formally been exclusive shows for editors, elite socialites, and those A-List celebrities AND the comparison to the saturated market of fast cheap fashion and celebrity designers whose names splash over clothing, perfume, cosmetics etc... The initial concept was glamorous and people bought into the idea, however the market is sooo saturated with critical reviews on “what is luxury if luxury is available to everyone?”. Would Daphne Guinness attend a show that the public could be apart of? There was a reason why luxury was for the elite, for those who could afford it and that concept has been lost. I don't own a closet of designers clothes yet, the few designer labels I poses were either vintages finds, or once a year sales. I look forward to the day when I can afford designer labels without hesitation of my credit limit and so forth, it will truly be a luxury!

Today eager fashion consumers can access images of a designers ad campaign before it reaches print. I have to ask, is there even a point for the printed copy anymore and would this lead to the immediate yawn of the ad once it is printed? By then the consumer may already want something new! We already face this dilemma with fast fashion, the consumer tires easily today, trends pass by with what feels like a month. Designers compete with demand to produce enough NEW and INNOVATIVE designs multiple times within a season with some staging 6 or more shows a year.

Although I fear you are absolutely right, at this point I believe at some point we may need to return to square one, to the key basics of what a fashion show entails and why is was powerful to begin with. It all comes down to large corporations and greed. They have trained the consumer to want it faster, for less money, but good quality. At some point this method cannot sustain itself.

Thats all I have to say right now

 

Blogger Anna-Lena said ... (7:17 AM) : 

I totally agree with your observation and prediction! And if the tickets are affordable - count me in!

www.pureloveforfashion.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Emanuele said ... (8:31 AM) : 

this would be the last step for a totally massified luxury...

 

Blogger Alice D. Millionaire said ... (10:45 AM) : 

that's a really interesting hypothesis.. and i hope you're right!
also, i'm totally loving that you're posting more than just streetstyle photos anymore, though you kill at that, it's really great to hear your voice. or, read it, anyway.

alice d.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:58 AM) : 

Scott..the statements you've made further solidifies my belief in your ability to see opportunities. I believe that selling tickets to these fashion shows as well as giving the attendees the opportunity to be the first to purchase what they've just seen on the runway is simply genius!! Keep up the great work!

 

Blogger Danda said ... (11:18 AM) : 

Altought it is absolutely right to talk about getting back to those times when fashion was really exclusive and approachable by a small elite of insiders, I truly believe that, as every other field in life, fashion has to keep up with the present, even the future. And if everything changes and goes out fashion in a snap, this should be considered as a way of pushing the designers' creative minds a little bit further (i.e. more collections or a different way of "selling" fashion). Maybe we could look at the past with a nostalgic feeling but we can't get back, we have to accept things change. Be Bravo in my opinion is also to stay ahead of times and modes. And remember we still have haute-couture shows which are exclusive, lets open the doors to the "common" people now. Don't get me wrong, the price should still be quite high in order to avoid a massive crowd (it is not a concert)and maybe the entrance subjected to some restrictions. Obviously there are a lot of cons. But it would be a revolutionary idea and also a way to fight the economic crisis fashion is still involved in. I don't think the fashion world is ready for that tought.
Danda at www.yourstylespy.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Marigail said ... (11:35 AM) : 

The whole point of high fashion is "We are here and you are not." Exclusivity is the game, although most of the fashion show viewers are not buyers, rather, press (notoriously cheap, expecting to get it for free) and wanna be celebrities with the same sense of entitlement. It would just be so accessible that the mystique would fall away. Who would want fashion that any old person with taste and money could buy?

 

Anonymous Sundal said ... (12:07 PM) : 

plenty of people would pay to see fashion shows, great idea, sart!

however i think fashion editors needn't panic yet, we all rely on them to interpret the overwhelming mass of ideas that storm down the runway each season into digestible trends.

 

Blogger Christina said ... (4:43 PM) : 

It would be cruel to toy with a girl's emotions....I would definitely pay...

fridayswithcilantro.blogspot.com

 

Blogger SarahChristine913 said ... (6:07 PM) : 

i would absolutely adoree attending a fashion show. i've always hoped they'd do something like that! i'd rather see a runway show than a broadway play any day!

 

Blogger Fanya said ... (7:17 PM) : 

I would love to attend a fashion show. I only became interested in fashion a couple of years ago, and was so dissapointed when I realize it's not open to general public.

I'm an software engineer for god sake. I can and would love to pay to watch a fashion show but I can't/won't change my career just to attend a fashion show.

 

Blogger Teresa @ good-grace said ... (12:47 PM) : 

Fantastic idea!

 

Blogger She Wore It Well said ... (10:43 PM) : 

Fashion week in Australia is like that. You have to buy tickets to a lot of shows.

http://sheworeitwell.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Holly said ... (12:43 AM) : 

It would be a dream come true for me to attend a show of one of my favorite designers. Should I add this one to my bucket list???

 

Anonymous MaddyC. said ... (8:46 AM) : 

I've had the opportunity to attend a show during ny fashion week and even though i wasn't farmiliar with the designer i was seeing, i still felt all of the excitement of being at a live fashion show. I definitely think that openning this experiance up for the general public is simply a smart business move. it would strngthen the publics identification with the brand and make them feel more connected. At the end of the day, isn't that what it's all about?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:23 AM) : 

Well...yes and no.

I have a feeling that while the normal slew of editors, buyers, and celebrities will still attend, this will become a mecca for tourists/teenagers.

It would, honestly, take away the magic, exclusivity, and excitement of fashion week.

 

Blogger 99Perfume said ... (3:36 PM) : 

I think something like this is a great idea, considering that from the people I have spoke with they would always find any means necessary to be able to attend one of these shows. Surely if the opportunity was available for them to pay to attend in a larger setting, they would be there in a heartbeat.

 

Blogger Parisbreakfasts said ... (4:39 PM) : 

What most eager fashion beavers don't realize is; you wait anywhere from an hour or more for the show to begin. Then it's OVER after a speedy 15 minutes.
All over.
Post climatic triste syndrome
Still I'd buy a ticket...

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:55 PM) : 

I'd go in a heartbeat!

 

Blogger celebpaparazzo said ... (1:03 AM) : 

This isnt a new idea...here in Sydney and Melb in Aust we hav the fashion festivals where fashion shows are ticketed events open to the public..they are very successful as the schedule also offers other collaborative creative media like exhibitions...talks held by designers etc

besides if that happened the designers would open it up to the public at fashion week and just make it a medium where they can interact and just SELL their merchandise to the consumers ... and meanwhile have shows dedicated to buyers, media etc off site

 

Anonymous recklessandmean said ... (9:01 AM) : 

It's a great dream of me to watch a fashion show and for real, I would pay therefor.
I think it really is a big chance.

 

Blogger AmosBlog said ... (2:14 PM) : 

They Started doing it in Montreal. Designer Denis Gagnon now shows two times, one for media and the other for the public. I think it's an excellent idea!

 

Blogger gina said ... (6:55 PM) : 

I would definitely pay to see a show. It would all depend on whether the ticket prices and my budget matched up. If they did, I'd be there.

 

Anonymous Ka Sin said ... (9:29 PM) : 

Happening twice a year in Tokyo!!
Tokyo Girls Collection, TGC!!! Japan's biggest fashion event.
20.000 fashion lovers in 1 venue, event lasts 2 days (so actually 40.000 visitors), over 200 models, and 20 brands take part in this event. As the models walk the catwalk, the visitors take out their phones and start ordering the pieces that they like, sweet!

If only this idea works in Europe...

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting