This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Style Profile...Amir Toos, NYC

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, November 05, 2009

Style Profile...Amir Toos, NYC


Style icons?
David Bowie, Dennis Hopper & Fred Astaire

Personal style quirk?
Always leave room for assumption!

Also, my accessories - I have my signature pieces made for me, and wear them all at the same time or not at all. If I have a business meeting I may not wear any accessories other than overstated cuff links. Any accessory must be a focal point, and really say something.

Favorite designers
Lanvin, Ralph Lauren & Dries Van Noten

Most cherished item?
My vanilla colored vintage motorcycle jacket.

The first thing I look at in another Sartorialist's outfit...
How he or she has worked with the proportions.

Proportion for me...
Is playing with positive and negative. I combine really skinny with big, or short with long. No matter what proportion I am playing with there is always a juxtaposition of the two halves. The pieces have to complement each other, otherwise you look like you are wearing part of someone else's outfit.

I always break this fashion rule…
Wearing loose fitting DB jackets unbuttoned.

I never break this fashion rule.
I never skip the belt (I am obsessed with them)!

Never caught wearing?
Dress shirt with a tie, without a jacket, in public.

Most underrated item in menswear/womenswear?
The perfect scarf. For a man or woman an ascot (or silk scarf) if styled properly can be the sexiest part of an outfit. For me scarves are essential whether they are knitted in the winter, or lighter in the summer - they create an interesting concept.

Favorite stores?
Bergdorf Goodman & 10 Corso Como.

Favorite vacation spot?
The coast of Maine. When I am there I don't remember that I live in NYC. It is so tranquil and totally different from my daily life in New York.

Favorite place to search for inspiration?
Manhattan Public Library

Best stylish movies?
Michelangelo Antonioni's “Blow Up,” John Schlesinger’s “Darling”

Currently reading?
Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse

Interview by Tracy Rosenbaum

Labels:

Comments on "Style Profile...Amir Toos, NYC"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:24 PM) : 

The second polo with the hair, polo, and sunglasses is one of my favorite pictures you've ever posted. I have thought back to it numerous times. Fantastic additional picture and Q&A to supplement that.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:26 PM) : 

Siddartha? Really? Too cliche.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:31 PM) : 

first!? :P

 

Blogger ABSOLUTELY NOT MARTHA said ... (7:33 PM) : 

when you've got it, you've got it. (style, that is.)

 

Blogger C A said ... (7:49 PM) : 

LOL! What a mixing of styles! Weating a Lacoste shirt, how chic. Does he really exist!?

@ MaisonChaplin.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:50 PM) : 

this guy is soo kool..

luv ur caption sart....


cheers
adi-sg

 

Anonymous Holly said ... (8:00 PM) : 

I like this guy~my kind of guy!!!Winter or summer he definitely has it going on!

 

Blogger IAMTHEANGELNEGRO said ... (8:06 PM) : 

PERFECT!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:10 PM) : 

feeling it

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:13 PM) : 

he's an individual, inside and out.
i once watched him rescue a bird, it must have been on broadway, in midtown.
i sometimes wonder what happened to that bird.

 

Blogger Ben Newell said ... (8:14 PM) : 

Great style

Great world view

Great book

Great inspiration and source of style!

 

Blogger Miranda said ... (8:23 PM) : 

Offhandedly, I've got to say Siddhartha is an excellent read.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:24 PM) : 

I'm in love !! I especially love the hair in the summer photo.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:30 PM) : 

this is a great interview. often times interviews come off as if the interviewee hasn't thought about their words, and hasn't considered what information will be new and interesting to the reader. until he mentioned it, i had never thought much about contrasting proportions in my outfits. his attention to proportion truly adds to his outfits shown! Amir Toos has great taste!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:38 PM) : 

Great insights....smiles.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:41 PM) : 

my goodness. his wardrobe style is like ivy, it has enveloped him and it is integral to his beauty.

very handsome face.

 

Blogger j4ckb1ng said ... (8:57 PM) : 

Very nice build, not overly developed, just enough to look good in clothes

 

Anonymous Em said ... (9:00 PM) : 

love it all

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:06 PM) : 

gotta agree with this guy on the belts...i'm obsessed with them too!! just bought one today that i just "needed" to have

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:07 PM) : 

Was the first image in newsweek at some point?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:09 PM) : 

beautiful man

 

Blogger J.A.F. said ... (9:22 PM) : 

The funny thing is I have your book open to this page...he's simply the best for me.

 

Blogger Brett Johnson said ... (9:23 PM) : 

This guy is one of my favorites, - both your pictures. His inspirations and responses are equally as thoughtful.

 

Anonymous sanmiguelense said ... (9:28 PM) : 

infatuated

 

Blogger yozora said ... (9:38 PM) : 

What a man!
In the style profiles, I always wish there were more pictures of the people presented, but anyway...

I wish I could have this guy as my personal stylist or something. His style is so AWESOME!

 

Anonymous Lucresia Linton said ... (9:41 PM) : 

I love the sandals in the second photo. His beard and his unruly hair; he reminds me of my Uncle Sonny who is passed. He pulled his hair back the same way. Brought tears to my eyes. Lucresia
lucresialinton.com

 

Anonymous Chesley said ... (9:45 PM) : 

The hair a totally fabulous custom accessory. Love it!

 

Blogger uhuhuhjn said ... (9:48 PM) : 

i already feel in love with the second picture, it make him look so manly

 

Anonymous Dank said ... (10:03 PM) : 

I understand him for some reason. I don't agree with everything but I totally digg it (if that makes sense at all). keep up the good work....

It keeps me going

Dank

 

Blogger Abhilash Pillai said ... (10:03 PM) : 

The second one looks cool

 

Blogger Dannie said ... (10:05 PM) : 

this mans style is outrageous, i adore it, he shouldve been a designer!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:09 PM) : 

I like his style. Strong pieces, but working with his great body and unique hair situation.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:21 PM) : 

Everything. The plaids, the check, the tweed on the fingers, the cuffed, just loose-enough jeans. The wing-tips, the texture of his beard, hair. The dark glasses. Perfection. The second picture: such elegant arms! Yes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:25 PM) : 

he has awesome style. only that man can pull of that hair.


xoxo,
F

lekisskiss.blogspot.com <-- two girls living in nyc and chicago blogging all things fashion!

 

Blogger Liz S said ... (10:49 PM) : 

As a lover of lots of head and facial hair on a man I've got to say he is it!! Has obvious quality in his words too. Beautiful...mmmmm......!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:53 PM) : 

Is it weird i find him sexy? Maybe its the beard.

 

Blogger cornliquordrinker said ... (10:58 PM) : 

his curled fingers look like " where'd my blackberry go??????"

maybe a cramp?

 

Blogger Cheap Peas said ... (11:30 PM) : 

siddhartha- never cliche. sits on nightstand.

the shorts in the second photo are perfect.

 

Anonymous The Photodiarist said ... (11:35 PM) : 

Love him. Loved him in the book, previous posts and now. He sure knows how to make "mandals" look sexy.

 

Blogger Tina said ... (11:56 PM) : 

i love this guy -- i used to see him mostly in the slope, wearing a superheavy sweater, unbuttoned, his chest hair for all to see.

 

Blogger Friend in Fashion said ... (1:24 AM) : 

Love his style.


Enter my fashion giveaway: http://www.friendinfashion.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Josh Tengan said ... (1:48 AM) : 

i always wanted to know who this badass was!! so cool

 

Blogger BlumeBloom said ... (1:58 AM) : 

He is unforgettable! I loved the first shot when you originally posted it. But after reading the article, I would love to just get to chat with him!

And he saved a bird! Love it!

 

Blogger Joshua Logan said ... (2:14 AM) : 

I really do love the concept of juxtaposition as a point of departure for fashion. As would Bowie and Astaire but who is this Mr. Hooper?

 

Blogger do you like my tight sweater said ... (2:52 AM) : 

great. thanks a lot.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:53 AM) : 

He looks good, but some people just need to stand there and look pretty..

 

Blogger Helen James said ... (3:12 AM) : 

what an interesting fellow, does anyone know what he works at?

 

Blogger Stjarna said ... (3:18 AM) : 

This first shirt/jacket is really fabolous!

 

Blogger Soren Lorensen said ... (3:20 AM) : 

ow wonderful! I do remember the top look from when it was first posted.

 

Blogger clan odinsson said ... (3:24 AM) : 

i love his style!!!
so gorgeous!!!
he's really look différent.
i like it!!!

 

Anonymous Anne said ... (3:28 AM) : 

thank you thank you thank you!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:45 AM) : 

I was struck by both of these photos when you first posted them and wondered who this man is. Can you tell us what he does for a living? You usually mention this in the interviews yet you didn't here.
(Or is this part of maintaining the mystery?)

cheers,
--haapi

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:21 AM) : 

I would turn gay for this strapping lad.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:27 AM) : 

so cool!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:37 AM) : 

in each photo he is totally diferent person, love his style!

 

Anonymous Metropolitan Mum said ... (5:14 AM) : 

I am usually not a fan of men in shorts, but he does pull it off. And how could I ever forget about 10 Corso Como? Thanks Amir for reminding me.

 

Anonymous garciamadrid said ... (5:40 AM) : 

who´s this gent? I love his phylosophy of proportions.

http://garciamadrid.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:51 AM) : 

The man packs so much style. Even if I'm not fan of the first outfit, I'm fan of what he's saying about proportions. He's completely right. And I must say the first outfit is loyal to the motto. I love that

Gaelle
http://beinglovingdoing.wordpress.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:05 AM) : 

Love the second style, specially his shorts!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:07 AM) : 

Love his answer for the 3rd last question.

 

Blogger stiches and threads said ... (6:41 AM) : 

absolute style......love it

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:58 AM) : 

He's very cute, but I must admit that whenever I see a man wearing a skin-tight polo shirt I think Tony Robbins. Cheese-o-riffic. Yes, we can see your yoga body.

 

Blogger Susie said ... (8:17 AM) : 

I love this guy and I can't stop looking at the summer photo, its perfect. His legs! Love those shorts!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:47 AM) : 

That first photo -- wow! The layers and textures and patterns, just perfection. And so handsome and cool in the second photo. Very interesting man. Love the profiles, more please!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:09 AM) : 

I like the second shot.
The top one looks just like my brother, who got too heavily into drugs and lives with one friend or another. Unlike my brother, this guy seems to bathe, though, the overall look doesn't appeal to me.

 

Blogger freepaper said ... (9:24 AM) : 

jesus. what a well put together man!

 

Blogger PEPPER!!!!! said ... (9:25 AM) : 

AMIR...is fynnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! ooo wee he got me w the hair.

 

Blogger Sonja Blackham said ... (9:32 AM) : 

Not only are the photos beautiful but the man is too. His style gives him an air of wisdom. My favorite post to date!

www.dayofstyle.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Lucas Jones said ... (9:53 AM) : 

oooooooo! i've been waiting for this guy to come back! the summer outfit is one of my all time faves!


and...the beard is certainly his 'signature' piece.

 

Blogger Lucas Jones said ... (9:54 AM) : 

and he really knows how to take on a costume...


http://www.lucasjonesart.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous phyllis said ... (9:55 AM) : 

He's so right about proportion; it really is key to dressing well and IMO even 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch makes all the difference.

 

Blogger FASHION SNAG said ... (10:09 AM) : 

I love the second photo, especially his shorts. Gorgeous!

www.FashionSnag.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:14 AM) : 

That bottom picture effectively inspired most of my summer wardrobe for last summer. It remains one of the best posts I've ever seen on this blog.

Energie

 

Blogger Courtney said ... (11:27 AM) : 

Wonderful style, inspiring and creative and so colorful! I love what he says about scarves--it is so true, for men and women. Ashley Ashoff, herself a style icon of Parisian-Northern Californian-Ivy League flair, makes the most beautiful and meaningful.

Courtney
Hunting Fishing Nature Tradition
http://hfnt.wordpress.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:39 AM) : 

My favorite style profile so far! Thanks for the inspiration!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:00 PM) : 

I really like his style and his presentation is just great!He is a man you do not forget.....
Thanks......L

 

Blogger whyioughtta said ... (1:03 PM) : 

LOVE this interview because it's focused around personal style, not fashion.

Couldn't agree more with him about Maine coast.

LOL--The top photo is total "hoser chic"...he's just missing his toque (maybe you have to be Canadian to get that one)

 

Blogger Sergio Wonder said ... (1:22 PM) : 

The second look is killer.... I now cannot wait for the summer to come around.

S.W

 

Anonymous AnonymousJK said ... (1:34 PM) : 

He's hot and cool at the same time, how is that possible?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:46 PM) : 

!!!LOOK AT ME!!!

 

Blogger nothingness said ... (1:48 PM) : 

oooh th 2nd look surprised me! he's looking fierceeeeee

www.jetblackdye.blogspot.com

 

Blogger seanjonesfoto said ... (2:19 PM) : 

great pics... this guy is the epitome of style...

 

Blogger Joy Mars said ... (2:36 PM) : 

The first pic looks like he's ready for potato picking in Maine. Or is it lumber jacking with a twist?

 

Blogger THE DAY AFTER YOU DIE said ... (3:32 PM) : 

Hahaha I always thought this guy was like a americana- biker- rockabilly type, after reading this I now know that its a lot more contrived and OC'D ......but dont get me wrong he def pulls it off and has great style whatever the case.
-R(TDAYD)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:42 PM) : 

is it an old photo or ny is too warm? or maybe he is just too hot?

 

Anonymous SwanDiamondRose said ... (5:12 PM) : 

he looks fantastic. i would add that his body is definitely a good part of the overall look. and his words definitely match the results.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:18 PM) : 

This is my best friend and I'm so happy to see everyone on here admires him almost as much as I do. Sorry Amir, I couldn't resist..haha

 

Blogger caramimi said ... (6:00 PM) : 

my my.... so stylish, confident and sexy!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:02 PM) : 

Beautiful body.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:53 PM) : 

Sexy!

He reminds me of my Poetry Professors of the mid 70's that were walking the fence between two worlds.

Not quite the Stodgy Old school Administrators and yet no longer caught in the angst of youth!

Just enough maturity and roguish charm to appeal to the blossoming poetess that I was.

Gotta love a hefty dose of confidence to not look like everyone else of those city streets!

Looks like someone I would have chatted with in Washington Square Park on the first delicious Spring Day when everyone appears!

Want to see more!

Love & Light,

Tee

 

Anonymous elizabet14 said ... (9:06 PM) : 

Just this morning I was showing my 6 year old son these pictures in your book-my favorites-and pointing out why this gentleman is supremely stylish. Gotta start em early.

 

Anonymous C&C said ... (10:32 PM) : 

he is so fabulous, i love his beard - best part.
check out my review of the september issue here:
http://chiffonandchocolate.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:48 PM) : 

I would love to know if he is reading Siddhartha in translation, and if so, which translation he selected.
I studied with Susan Bernofsky, who recently put out an excellent translation of Siddhartha.

If you're listening, Amir, be diligent and discerning when selecting great literature in translation! As diligent and discerning, one might add, as you are when composing your glorious ensembles.

 

Blogger Erica said ... (10:59 PM) : 

1st pic: Hobo chic. ejr.mdm.

 

Blogger J said ... (11:36 PM) : 

I read your book today, it was fantastic!

 

Anonymous donna said ... (11:54 PM) : 

there's nothing sexier than a person who knows who they are and aren't afraid to show it.

 

Anonymous tamika jackson said ... (12:43 AM) : 

it's official...im in love

 

Anonymous Guga said ... (4:15 AM) : 

this could have been the perfect disaster, for a man at his age with the second look. its kinda odd.. and i like odd. his body looks fantastic. everything is coordinating really well. i have one word. FIERCE.

 

Anonymous tracy said ... (5:03 AM) : 

Fantastic - bohemian yet refined. And the physique makes me want to run out and do yoga! Scrolled all the comments and didn't get an answer...who is he?!?

 

Blogger Julie said ... (8:48 AM) : 

It seems so effortless for him. One of the most stylish men you've posted.

 

Blogger Couture Coco said ... (12:26 PM) : 

I've never been into the lumber jack look...but absolutely LOVE the 2nd photo. I mean just look at the man: virile yet with a softness and strong individuality.

 

Blogger TheHypeAround... said ... (2:33 PM) : 

A strong commitment to individual style! Absolutely refreshing!

 

Blogger Bubu said ... (6:01 PM) : 

curious man

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:26 PM) : 

I remember the photo of him in those shorts and sandals. I've always wanted to know who that was. Thank you for the interview.

 

Blogger S. said ... (10:01 AM) : 

I think I love him.
Must know more!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:58 AM) : 

Sartorial HERO

 

Blogger Ko said ... (9:26 PM) : 

I like his style!
He knows vintage clothing such as Red line jeans, checked shirts, heavy jacket with classic pattern like FILSON, and izod Lacoste.

I wanna imitate is style.

http://ko-rethinking.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:29 PM) : 

His photo in the shorts is still to date on of my favourites of your photos!

- http://21arrondissement.com

 

Anonymous Tobias Sweden said ... (2:27 AM) : 

I really love his looks. His beard is too hot to handle!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:39 AM) : 

AWESOME!~ I hope I can look as this stylish when I get to this mans age!~~

 

Anonymous Sharon said ... (11:29 AM) : 

Great style and beautiful body!

 

Blogger Michael Joseph Owens said ... (6:13 PM) : 

Everything about this guy is delicious.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:42 AM) : 

I didnt even realize that it was the same guy in both photos until just now, coming back to view once more.

Beutifully done.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:16 PM) : 

My eye is drawn to the cuff on his wrist.

 

Blogger StuddedLilly said ... (12:43 AM) : 

gorgeous blog gorgeous people all around us. gotta love fashion*

-studdedlilly

 

Blogger chelsea lee said ... (5:50 PM) : 

i'm loving this. i, too, have obsession with juxtaposition - in all facets - fashion, home, love and beyond!

 

Blogger Misha Lulu said ... (1:43 AM) : 

love the second picture and the interview is FAB!
Who is this guy?

 

Blogger haidai said ... (10:52 PM) : 

Everything about this guy is beautiful!!!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:18 AM) : 

Is that a woolrich coat..?http://www.my-wardrobe.com/woolrich/red-and-black-check-workcoat-383621

 

Anonymous Holly O said ... (1:40 PM) : 

This portrait is in your book right?
i love it, really thankyou so much for creating such a masterpiece.
I'm 14 and interested in art, fashion and photography and your work is so inspiring to make me see everyday beauties in a different light.
I was in paris recently and me and my dad were constantly pointing things out and comenting on how 'sartorialist-y' situations and images were.
Thankyou so much Scott for helping people who deserve to show their fashion talents let the world see, and for being an inspiration to me and my dad.
Keep up the sartorialist-y work
-A sartorialist-in-training

 

Blogger Maggies said ... (11:02 AM) : 

As Franco Moschino used to say : " La classe non ed acqua" and this man is fabulous!!!

 

Anonymous thuthu said ... (12:54 PM) : 

Nice touch, this man does have style indeed. amir is king i've seen a few of his pics... INCREDIBLE!!

Ta for the entertaining blog. Sart may you continue the amazing work.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting