This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

The Sartorialist for Burberry's Art of the Trench

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Sartorialist for Burberry's Art of the Trench



Comments on "The Sartorialist for Burberry's Art of the Trench"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:02 PM) : 

beautiful

 

Blogger Mikki said ... (7:08 PM) : 

interesting guy

 

Blogger J.Teheren said ... (7:10 PM) : 

The tattoo on his knuckles and the fact he has a pocket watch is sheer genius! I totally dig this shot immensely!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:16 PM) : 

It´s a great idea of Burberry!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:21 PM) : 

Personal Hero!! What does that say on his other hand? Time and...?

 

Blogger Lorena said ... (7:22 PM) : 

The green trench is one of my favorites and I love how she wears it.

http://ganymedekids.blogspot.com

 

Blogger uhuhuhjn said ... (7:23 PM) : 

i can recognize her from somewhere. but the thing is that i cant remember where lol.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:35 PM) : 

I need to know what his other tattoo set says!

 

Blogger Tayler Worrell said ... (7:39 PM) : 

gorgeous! that top guy is so unexpectedly stylish.

http://bighairandbikinis.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:39 PM) : 

Nice Shoes!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:06 PM) : 

Nice project.

www.thisismysuit.com

 

Blogger Plato said ... (8:09 PM) : 

love the hair with the huge wheel in the background.

http://thelowesthigh.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Sophisticated Misfit said ... (8:10 PM) : 

Brilliant. The first shot of the gentleman. You nailed it with this one. This is exactly what Burberry needs as an ambassador for their trench coats and other clothing befitting a gentleman, not some punk chav with acid wash and attitude problems.

Pietro

 

Blogger Femstar2000 said ... (8:11 PM) : 

I love that last shot. Her skirt makes me crazy.

 

Blogger Sophisticated Misfit said ... (8:13 PM) : 

I bet his name is William or Will for short. One hand says "Time" and the other "Tell." Join the dots.

Pietro

 

Anonymous mod human vintage said ... (8:21 PM) : 

I love her wild curly hair...very elegant! Each look is genius

please read my blog :)
www.modhumanvintage.blogspot.com

 

Blogger alex said ... (8:27 PM) : 

i want to know what the tattoo says too!

 

Blogger Samantha said ... (8:30 PM) : 

more children in trenches! they are the very best models for the classic looks!

 

Anonymous Christina said ... (8:37 PM) : 

I love the textures and color palate - olive, navy, burgundy - in the last shot.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:38 PM) : 

His hands say TIME and TIDE, I believe.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:38 PM) : 

These are great, keep them coming!!

What do you think of our new shoes?
http://www.tailoredsociety.com/2009/11/jump-zeto_11.html

Best regards,

TAILORED SOCIETY

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:52 PM) : 

Love that guy's shirt collar

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:01 PM) : 

The top photo rocked my world!

- http://21arrondissement.com

 

Blogger Nick Leonard said ... (9:20 PM) : 

The shot of the gal walking between the cars is genius.

 

Blogger X said ... (9:40 PM) : 

The lady with the curly hair is stunning.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:41 PM) : 

oh new york. I am always relieved and peaceful as I view your photos of new york. I live in LA, but just love the east coast look.

 

Blogger bintbattuta said ... (9:45 PM) : 

love everything about the third look, that trench is great.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:28 PM) : 

I love the clash between his "retired from the british army" look, with his tatooed fingers...very appeling.
Also love the cool relaxed look with the unstructured trench and frilly skirt, such an elegant colour combo!.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:31 PM) : 

the woman in the third look is gorgeous and I love the texture of her skirt

 

Blogger Sonja said ... (10:41 PM) : 

These photos make me want two things very badly: 1. To buy a Burberry trench in olive green (I guess I am an impressionable market audience.) 2. To work for you!

 

Anonymous Rachelle said ... (10:52 PM) : 

STUNNING first shot! very pensive-man-at-sea... a little old wordly. love it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:23 PM) : 

Wish you could see my blue burberry trench - you'd love it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:26 PM) : 

You know, "Time and tide wait for no man."

 

Anonymous The Photodiarist said ... (11:35 PM) : 

All three are incredible, but the first one . . . That's awesome. The contrast between that finely suited and burberry-ied man with tats on his knuckles is just brilliant.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:51 PM) : 

Do you think I should have my Burberry shortened from calf length? I look positively dowdy compared to these awesome people. Mind you it rains a lot here in NZ.

 

Anonymous Ashleigh said ... (11:52 PM) : 

Beautiful photos as always, the website looks totally amazing. Congratulations!

 

Blogger erin nuts said ... (11:58 PM) : 

The mustache, the tie clip, and the tattoos...perfect. He looks like someone I would most definitely like to sit down with in a pub.

 

Blogger Therese said ... (11:59 PM) : 

Love these photos. I like to see the people more in action, and not always straight up. And these ones are great!:) Totally loved the Vegas pictures too:)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:17 AM) : 

The tree takes up the foreground of the pic, yet this photo still works great. Kudos, Sart.

 

Blogger Vitrinen said ... (12:22 AM) : 

@Sophisticated Misfit; Look at the gentlemans hands checking his cool oldschool pocketwatch (I guess); they are overloaded with cool tattoos. Not so so classic, yet stylish indeed he is. I think Burberry needs both the punkrock plus the elegant crowd to wear their styles, because it shows how changeable and the brand is. Which is what Burberry needs and what Bailey sought for, as far as I know.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:29 AM) : 

"Time and tide wait for no man." an old english proverb. LOVE the trench shots. Super!

 

Blogger Natalie Suarez said ... (1:41 AM) : 

trenches are my favorite. instantly pulls a look together :) great pics as always!

xoxo

natalieoffduty.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Indie Mom and the Reluctant Banker said ... (2:23 AM) : 

Great photos. I especially like the colours in the last shot.

 

Blogger C A said ... (2:24 AM) : 

The red dress is amazing, no comment.

"A woman's not going to buy a little skirt for a lot of money if it's not for seduction. What else are clothes made for?" - Azzedine Alaïa

@ MaisonChaplin.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Bamto said ... (2:36 AM) : 

i love the second photo...great colours, the red dress combined with a trench and those pretty,pretty shoes! and the guy in trench looks perfect, without trying to hard. that's the goal!!

 

Anonymous Libby K said ... (2:42 AM) : 

He has TIME on his hands.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:06 AM) : 

where do you find these wonderful people? love the lady's bag/coat thing

 

Blogger Stjarna said ... (3:49 AM) : 

blue trench...love!!

 

Anonymous FashionCoup said ... (4:11 AM) : 

I love the parka! Not very Burberry-ish but cool. She perfectly sets of her elegant outfit with this casual piece. Great woman, great style!

http://fashioncoup.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:32 AM) : 

This guy with the tat on he's nuckles looks like he could snap at any TIME.. lol

 

Anonymous Ana I said ... (4:44 AM) : 

Love the last outfit

 

Anonymous David said ... (4:49 AM) : 

this winter look stunning and stylish with some classic stuff only from
http://www.smartpunk.com/clothing/jackets.html

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:52 AM) : 

...the big man...and nice mustache...its cool...marco...

 

Blogger alastair said ... (5:06 AM) : 

Great mix with the trench, tie, beard and tattoos!
Wonder what he does.

 

Anonymous ChervelleCamille said ... (5:15 AM) : 

the last photo did it for me! She completed that outfit with those heels! Absolutely makes the outfit for me. So simple, yet such a huge difference...

 

Blogger Emilie said ... (5:48 AM) : 

I love the second picture!

 

Blogger Disko Dyna said ... (6:05 AM) : 

WOW, such a great hair!! love how the little details on the shoes almost match the green trench..

 

Blogger cashew said ... (6:20 AM) : 

love these chicks - great shoes really can make an outfit

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:30 AM) : 

The guy in the first picture is fantastic! A real bad boy gone good.

 

Blogger FelixDaBike said ... (6:32 AM) : 

She looks like Patricia Wettig from Brothers & Sisters.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:41 AM) : 

The second shot is wonderfull, in every way. Once more, bravo my friend.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:20 AM) : 

Wow, had to do a double take-- the blonde in the second shot reminded me of Carolyn Bessette-Kennedy. Great shot.

 

Blogger Celia said ... (8:23 AM) : 

Whoa, the woman in the second picture uncannily resembles Caroline Bisset.

Sart, I've always thought trenches were stuffy and boring, but you've swayed me! If only it wasn't already too cold in the season for me to look into buying one. Suppose I'll have to wait until spring.

 

Blogger Sophisticated Misfit said ... (8:41 AM) : 

Yeah, thanks for that, guys. I wasn't familiar with the proverb. I guess it would say "TIME" and "TIDE."

That bad boy gone wrong analogy is spot on. I have tattoos which peak out regardless of the clothes I wear and ladies always admire that. Especially the heart I have on my right inner wrist (I wear my heart upon my sleeve) which never fails to draw attention. The secret me thinks is to do your best to be well dressed and elegant then tattoos become a tad more appealing.

Vitrinen, I've never thought of a pocket watch but I have something else up my sleeve. I have a perfect stripy tan linen summery suit which would do well with a retro lapel watch. I doubt anyone would copy that anytime soon.

Pietro

 

Blogger Tone Loki said ... (8:47 AM) : 

The knuckles do indeed say TIME & TIDE and were done by Thomas Hooper at Brooklyn Adorned.

The suit is by Mark Powell, the tie by J Press..

Thanks for all the nice comments!

 

Blogger Clio Leeuwenburgh said ... (9:10 AM) : 

Most handsome man in all of England!

 

Anonymous Ellie said ... (9:37 AM) : 

Love the gentleman's neat beard. The tatts are appropriate some how...

 

Blogger FASHION SNAG said ... (9:48 AM) : 

love the second and third photo best! Gorgeous photos.

www.FashionSnag.com

 

Blogger corrine. said ... (10:51 AM) : 

that dude is amazing. go tony!

 

Anonymous Mila said ... (10:54 AM) : 

The navy trench and red dress combo looks really lovely!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:54 AM) : 

the lady with curly hair seems to be wearing a parka not a trench coat.... exactelly what i have been looking for!..... is that in the current collection? great shape and color....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:01 AM) : 

I try to resist Burberry at times, but the thing is a Burberry trench is the gold standard. Now that they make so many styles it's easier to find one that fits your individual taste. I'm also a sucker for their accessories. But I forgot the whole chav thing which mortified me a couple of years ago. This gorgeous dark-haired lioness looks great and is such a nice contrast to those sullen posh kids B uses as models. And her coat is adjusted to be comfortable for her. Love it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:55 AM) : 

The blonde beauty is the swedish reporter Sofia Hedstrong. I love this pic on her!

 

Blogger Angeles Almuna said ... (12:32 PM) : 

Fabulous photos! and Tony you are so interesting and definitely you have a great story to tell........

 

Blogger DJN said ... (12:46 PM) : 

The tattoo should read, "stop biting your nails, it's disgusting." But there wouldn't be enough fingers for all that.

 

Anonymous maymay said ... (1:06 PM) : 

the first one is too good, but the second is kinda iffy compositionally. i don't like the lighting.
that dude is so badass

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:20 PM) : 

I see I'm not the only one who saw the Swedish woman in the red dress and immediately thought of Carolyn Bessette Kennedy. Great photo.

 

Blogger vinh! said ... (2:45 PM) : 

I like how the colors pop in the second picture.

 

Blogger Jo said ... (4:01 PM) : 

Love the first one. I like the lighting. He's got Mr.Sunshine on his shoulders.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:25 PM) : 

who says big men can't layer well.

 

Blogger Zoe said ... (4:49 PM) : 

She is so so beautiful! I love her bag!

 

Blogger Cat Sitter in the City said ... (5:29 PM) : 

I bet the guy in the first picture never pictured himself in a Burberry trench when he got those finger tattoos all those years ago. But he looks great!

 

Blogger LEONARDO IUFFRIDA said ... (5:47 PM) : 

I LOVE guy's moustache!

realnob.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:12 PM) : 

wow. that man is probably one of my favorite shots by you. so mysterious and intriguing, from a story book almost. enchanting.

 

Blogger ra said ... (6:26 PM) : 

Wow, I love the last picture, everything about her outfit just flows in the best way possible, that trenchcoat really ties it together.

 

Blogger FionaHW said ... (6:47 PM) : 

OMG love these pics,

The Hunter,
XX

Check out my fashion blog http://fionagossiphunter.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:46 PM) : 

First guy steals the show. I can't even remember the other ones after that guy.

 

Blogger Liz said ... (8:18 PM) : 

Ok, it's been said-- at first glance, I thought the woman in the middle was Carolyn Bessette. Reminds me how much I miss seeing photos of her. Even all these years later, if you come across a photo of her, her style still endures.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:56 PM) : 

Love the red and blue combi...both are eye catching colors, the red brightens the blue and the blue tones down the red but still lets it shine.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:25 PM) : 

The girl in the second pic is so beautiful!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:31 PM) : 

Isn't that the GRL girl in the red dress? She is THE lady in red.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:47 PM) : 

You people are all so presumptuous about people with tattoos. Like you have to be "bad" to have them. Its hilarious( but really very narrow minded!)

Great shot. Amazing, classic style. Full stop.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:55 PM) : 

You remind me why I love Burberry trench coat so much! It is one of my dreamy staff ex. Hermes's Brikin, Chanel's 2.55, Roger Vivier's Belle Vivier.

Your photos inspire me the whole new point of view for "how to wear the clothing" and personal style!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:00 PM) : 

I love the girl running between the cars. That's exactly how i imagine myself darting between appointments, looking chic and beautiful. Its all in my imagination, of course, but that's the truth...

 

Anonymous Bob Mack said ... (3:29 AM) : 

Until seeing the tattoo picture, I had always imagined the body art would limit ones style options. I was so wrong though, this guy looks great!

 

Blogger pRiyA said ... (3:55 AM) : 

the woman with curly hair is unique. very stylish.

 

Blogger laweezil said ... (4:50 AM) : 

That man is deeply cool.Individual, stylish, roguish gent! Loving it!

 

Blogger Sophisticated Misfit said ... (8:01 AM) : 

Anon 9:47 PM, no-one here is saying that Tony is or was a "bad" person. Most, like myself, are admiring the juxtaposition of the tats, a primitive art form, with the modern-day and very elegant clothes Tony wears. It is rare to see the two arts complement each other as incredibly as Tony allows them to.

Pietro

 

Blogger Susan said ... (12:56 PM) : 

Pietro, my apologies.

I think I should have used a different word. I didn't mean bad as in a bad person. I meant bad as in you know wild or reckless which isn't always the case. I was quoting various previous comments.

I guess I'm just lucky enough to have seen extremely sophisticated and stylish people that just happen to have tattoos. Its just who they are, part of them, they are not trying to portray a "bad" or "badass" image.

I think Bob Mack says what I meant but just in a more eloquent manner. Tattoos don't limit ones style. Tony is showing us that.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:02 PM) : 

i would put any one of these in a frame and stick it on my wall, all amazing

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:21 PM) : 

I love that the girl in the red dress looks so elegant and sophisticated, but at the same time alive and like she is carrying a secret.

 

Blogger SMC said ... (3:57 PM) : 

Tony has totally nailed the hard man wears a suit look........ there is nothing quite like a bloke that can accessorize some tatts with tailoring.

Dreamy.

If you read this..... please hunt me down so we can compare Hooper tattoos.

smcx

 

Blogger Sophisticated Misfit said ... (4:01 PM) : 

Right on, Susan. Well stated.

Pietro

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:07 PM) : 

The top man is incredibly handsome, shockingly so. Seems like the kind of guy whose passion for fashion is juxtapozed with a hardened exterior...Seems like the kind of person you could talk to for a long, long time. Beautiful photo, indeed.

 

Anonymous Kristin said ... (10:04 PM) : 

Loving those shoes!

 

Blogger Cameron Adams said ... (6:34 AM) : 

The pose for red dress and heels was an inspired risk. All that reflected light lends a halo to her hair and interposition of the tree adds realism of life, inviting this viewer to look again. Keeping an interest can be just as compelling as wishing for that outfit or her/his telephone number!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:35 PM) : 

Lol...I want her number as well. She looks like an angel in red.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:03 PM) : 

Wow, the girl in the red dress is just breathtaking.

 

Anonymous An said ... (5:21 PM) : 

My favorite is the top photo. So robust, and the way he just seems barely contained in the tight frame really emphasizes his stature. And I love the tattoos versus the old-fashioned pocket watch and perfectly tailored trench.
The second photo is nice, I like the feeling that you were lounging behind a tree and turned just in time to snap the photo.
I love the girls' hair in the third photo! I've always wanted crazy beautiful, textural, natural hair like that. Also I really like the more ladylike ensemble against the rough, almost military feeling of the trench.

This has got to be the best set of photos yet.

 

Blogger nothingness said ... (2:33 AM) : 

wow th knuckle tats r fierce!! tempting......

www.jetblackdye.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:56 PM) : 

The BAG in the last pic..it's a must have, anyone know the details?

 

Blogger Connie said ... (7:10 AM) : 

I adore the hint of red in the second picture. Great shot.

theheartbreakinc.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous baju muslim zahra said ... (10:02 AM) : 

nice high heel :)

 

Blogger Joy Mars said ... (11:29 AM) : 

The last picture here. I want half her hair. She can afford it.

 

Blogger Christine Peterson said ... (1:44 AM) : 

The man with the tattooed knuckles is ever so intriguing.

 

Anonymous film and music fashion magazine said ... (7:30 AM) : 

A lady in RED...
love the shot.

satomi okasaka
FILM AND MUSIC FASHION MAGAZINE
http://www.filmandmusicfashion.com/ten.htm

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:05 PM) : 

I love the lady in red! She is so mysterious, I want to know what she thinks.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:45 AM) : 

Dear god, I want to have the tattooed man's children. I'm a 46 year old man, btw. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:41 PM) : 

Moustache guy rocks.

 

Blogger Big City Nights said ... (8:43 AM) : 

The tattoos combined with his tie clip, waxed mustache, and grey suit jacket give him so much character. It looks like he's lived an adventurous life.

 

Anonymous Ivy said ... (10:33 AM) : 

So great...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:11 AM) : 

I'm in love for big Guy Tatto pocket watch. Beautiful beard, Beautiful hands, Beautiful face. I wish could kiss your hands. I know this is silly but I'm in love - mfrommind@gmail.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:21 PM) : 

Beautiful. And the girl at the pedestrian crossing - oh! so stunning..

 

Anonymous minan said ... (7:45 AM) : 

The man is by far the most distinctive. Love the contrast of the tattoos and the wool vest, tie and clip. The last two women are gorgeous women, but the outfits, not so much. The first "Carolyn Bissett" woman would be Ann Taylor were it not for the interesting pleat in her skirt, and honestly the last woman looks like she just rolled out of bed. Not in a good way- her shirt is not ironed! However, the skirt and bag's textures and color visually make the trench pop, I must admit.

 

Anonymous minan said ... (11:00 AM) : 

Love the pic, but not the outfit. She looks like she got dressed in the dark.

 

Blogger Crissy said ... (5:19 PM) : 

I always love seeing other professionals, like myself, with visible hand tattoos.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:01 PM) : 

does anyone know the season/name or any other info about the olive trench in the last photo?

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:15 PM) : 

Wonderful skirt. She’s perfectly dressed from head to tow, grade: A

 

Blogger liz? said ... (2:33 PM) : 

he seems like the last person to have tattoos in such an obvious spot, and thats why i love this picture!

 

Blogger la femme said ... (11:32 PM) : 

I love that first shot. Knuckle tattoos, trench and pocket watch? One of your top captures I think.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:31 AM) : 

love all three. But especially the women, and especially the women in red. wow.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:17 AM) : 

Great photos!! Good job!!

http://balapertotarreu.blogspot.com

Frank

 

Blogger Darbla. said ... (11:49 AM) : 

Old I know, but I'm going through this blog for the first time, really...


Love the knuckle tattoos/stylish dress combination. As a tattooed person I often feel like people don't take my style seriously, or think I'm trashy because of the ink. And seeing a well-dressed man with KNUCKLE tattoos of all things makes me very happy (as well as the 'stache! Facial hair love!)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:10 PM) : 

Burberry hooligan might be a fitting description? I love the British gentleman-gangster feel of the tattoed man. Well groomed but still lethal.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting