This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street....The Bowery, NYC

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, November 03, 2009

On the Street....The Bowery, NYC

Comments on "On the Street....The Bowery, NYC"

 

Blogger Elisa said ... (7:35 PM) : 

adore this place. such ambience.

 

Anonymous Jarred said ... (7:36 PM) : 

I would love to get my hands on some of that Helvetica!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:42 PM) : 

i love this place!

 

Blogger Barbora said ... (7:47 PM) : 

Such a cool antique store!I want that Brooklyn Bridge sign for my bedroom!!!!:)

barboradudinska.blogspot.com

 

Blogger urbanmosadi said ... (7:50 PM) : 

I remember this store, I wanted to get one of those Brooklyn Metro signs, and put up on my bedroom wall back home in South Africa, but the service was really awful :(

 

Blogger jack bespoke said ... (8:02 PM) : 

would be interesting to just look around in there, haha time travel a bit


bespok.com

 

Blogger xoxo, alizée said ... (8:10 PM) : 

great picture! i would love to go to a place like that!

xoxoalizee.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Christian Krohne said ... (8:11 PM) : 

Lovely picture, like Barbora, I would love to get hold of one of these signs - is there anywhere I can buy them online. International shipping is required since I live in Denmark.

 

Blogger Kat said ... (8:34 PM) : 

looks like a cool store for some interior decorating! i wish i had an apartment in the city. =P

 

Blogger zincink said ... (8:38 PM) : 

I remember this place my entire life..funny how I never went in but I know of it.

A NY gem.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:47 PM) : 

that place is the most overpriced antique shop ever... but they do have some interesting things once in a while so understand why you are sharing this photo.. sort of.

 

Blogger Hendi150 said ... (8:54 PM) : 

After seeing the bridge signs you almost forget that the red fire hydrant isn't for sale.

 

Anonymous John M. Doyle said ... (9:37 PM) : 

Ahh...lest we forget, NY fashion is not just what people are wearing, but also, the wonderful and inimitable city of NY itself.

 

Anonymous Moselle said ... (9:56 PM) : 

The only place I buy furniture!!

Go visit itchycat.blogspot.com.

 

Blogger FASHION SNAG said ... (9:58 PM) : 

looks like a happenin place!

www.FashionSnag.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:00 PM) : 

more of this!! seriously!

 

Blogger B Tichvinsky said ... (10:10 PM) : 

I love this place! I walk by it every day on my way to work and every time it gets harder and harder to resist impulse buys. They do have GREAT antique mirrors...

 

Anonymous Jandi Keum said ... (10:14 PM) : 

I've been reading/viewing your blog since last year...I never really took the time to go through all the pictures, including the ones from way back, and today I did. I noticed how your style/eye has evolved and improved and expanded so much...keep it up! Also, your book is beautiful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:28 PM) : 

Billy and Lorraine are the coolest. They are definitely Sartorialist material.

 

Blogger Singapore Short Stories said ... (10:37 PM) : 

wow so nice!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:39 PM) : 

Billy's is a treasure trove for people with a soft spot for unique old items.

 

Blogger gossisnice said ... (10:48 PM) : 

This place has SUCH cool stuff... really strange, unique, and often beautiful finds!

 

Blogger Thomas said ... (10:48 PM) : 

great shot....i'd love to visit

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:56 PM) : 

This place is so cool, and my favorite is the wall on the next block all painted in funky colors and designs...

www.natasblog.com

 

Blogger Scoop said ... (11:05 PM) : 

Amazing! Looks like you could spend half a day just looking around!

 

Blogger Taylor said ... (11:28 PM) : 

Ahhh I'd love to visit this shop!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:47 PM) : 

in a word: kitchy

love the breadth of the Satorialist's lens, but does everyone have to universally rave about all things seen here. Sometimes people get it wrong. 90% of what I see here is bold, dramatic and beautiful. Sometimes though you can really see that the subject's are trying way too hard to pull off a look that doesn't belong to them. Of course this has no relevence to Billy's but is relevant overall I guess.

Great images of truly stunning people and their take on fashion overall, so thanks!

 

Blogger James D said ... (11:49 PM) : 

is that the cigar store indian from siendfeld?

 

Anonymous Joe said ... (12:05 AM) : 

I went to this place when I was in new york, its very odd, I remember it having a vintage dildo. {What a nice memory}. somewhere in there.. hahah Oh well nice shot!

 

Blogger Shelley Noble said ... (1:15 AM) : 

Nice. Those subway signs would look great over the sofa in a view loft. I'll take the no parking sign.

 

Anonymous Aurore said ... (1:36 AM) : 

This is for place like that, that we all need to live in Nyc, Where else !

http://picturesupdated.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Natalie Suarez said ... (1:48 AM) : 

awesome photo, i miss new york. cant wait to go back! :)

xoxo

natalieoffduty.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Thomas Modeen said ... (2:22 AM) : 

Makes me reminisce and miss downtown New York. Perhaps it's time for a re-visit...

Tom in Kuwait

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:05 AM) : 

nice,like it,love to go :))
www.therichhomeless.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Dounia said ... (4:55 AM) : 

It reminds me of my holidays I spent this summer in the big apple, 2 blocks away from this place...
Now, back in France, where you can now start feeling the cold, I'd like to thank you :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:04 AM) : 

A pleasant piece of downtown and I'm glad it's still there, but it is overpriced.

 

Anonymous Abhilash said ... (5:23 AM) : 

It appears to be the one I have my next door.

I daily see a lot of people around the streets who create such stores in less than a hours time. They are seen mostly during celebrations in temples, churches etc.

There are a series of people who gather around such stores as they attract more visitors.

You hyave shot well.

 

Blogger preppygoesrock said ... (5:35 AM) : 

youll just never know what to find here
check out my blog
http://preppygoesrock.blogspot.com/
http://preppygoesrock.blogspot.com/
http://preppygoesrock.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous annamaria said ... (6:29 AM) : 

I really like your pics..they're interesting,especially if we consider the way you capture "human nature" more than the look people have.
have u ever thought to come to Italy??I think here u really could find out special shots.

 

Blogger ingefaer said ... (7:29 AM) : 

I would just like to get a copy of this photo! It is GREAT! Love the colors - the blue awning, orange chair, red firehydrant - all of it! I would proudly hang it on my wall.

 

Anonymous Alexandra said ... (7:42 AM) : 

Great pic indeed!

 

Blogger Susie said ... (8:07 AM) : 

Can someone please say where it is? I'm going to be in NYC soon and I'd love to visit it.

thanks, Susan

 

Blogger Barbora said ... (8:56 AM) : 

What are you saying??? That the red fire hydrant is not for sale????:(

barboradudinska.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Rob Bruce said ... (9:08 AM) : 

I want the Brooklyn Bridge sign for my wall!

 

Blogger Julia said ... (10:15 AM) : 

i need to go to there. this is completely my kind of place to shop for furniture. i am already drooling for those wooden antique dinning room chairs!

 

Blogger Lilia said ... (10:49 AM) : 

This makes me miss my place in New York so much.

Definately overpriced!

Its cool to go inside though, everything is all piled up.

 

Blogger C A said ... (11:42 AM) : 

You have no idea of how many hours I loose inside these stores sometimes, I looove antiques!

@ MaisonChaplin.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:15 PM) : 

Check out the NYC doc "Captured"
Billy has some good memories to share

 

Anonymous Brennan said ... (1:36 PM) : 

Helvetica is the perfume of the city!

 

Blogger My Book Style said ... (1:43 PM) : 

i love new york!!!

 

Blogger Brittany Anne said ... (2:41 PM) : 

The guy that works there is grumpy...

 

Blogger Lula said ... (3:27 PM) : 

What a coincidence!, I took the same photo when I was in New York last spring.
We are waiting for you here in Barcelona ;DD
xxx

 

Blogger Christina said ... (5:36 PM) : 

Love this place....makes me happy each time I'm walking down East Houston.

fridayswithcilantro.blogspot.com

 

Blogger dnqcnn said ... (6:04 PM) : 

The Bowery! That's also close to where CBGB's used to be right? During my visit in NYC this year I just had to go there to see the place for real. I was really overwhelmed when I was finally there... It's a magical place for sure.

 

Blogger The Blasphemous Fiendess said ... (6:05 PM) : 

What a great photo! I love the colours and the composition. This photo framed ond on the wall would be better than overpriced city signs.

 

Blogger YmL said ... (6:09 PM) : 

Antiques are great, and antique shops in NYC are great,. but this is the most over price junk shop in NYC.

 

Blogger Robyn said ... (7:06 PM) : 

That shop looks like it hold such wonderful character, I wouldn't be able to resist peaking inside~

-Robyn

 

Blogger Lolitta said ... (9:05 PM) : 

looks like a very interesting place.

http://loveyourfabulousself.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Brandon said ... (9:42 PM) : 

Where can I buy those signs?

 

Anonymous kristi said ... (10:22 PM) : 

I LOVE this place! Was just there yesterday -- trying unsuccessfully to bargain for one of those subway signs! I try every time I am in the city -- someday I will have one!

Pixie/Susan -- it's at Houston and Bowery.

I tweeted a pic of this crazy chair made of bones they have for sale right now -- click my link to see it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:45 AM) : 

That's Billy's Antiques and Props on East Houston and the Bowery.There website say's "This ain't Crate and Barrel"...so don't be offended if they are a little gruff.
They pride themselves in keeping the old Bowery alive .They hire street guy's to help move the furniture in and out. The subway signs go from $40 to $5000
There website tells it all
www.billysantiques.com

 

Anonymous Alex said ... (12:10 PM) : 

I love Billy's !

 

Blogger hbomb73 said ... (12:37 PM) : 

Anonymous - THANK you for the info and not just repeating "it's great yada yada" "it's overpriced yada yada" It is a shot about style not a shopping guide!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:42 PM) : 

not on the bowery. lol. its on east Houston and Elizabeth. close but not the bowery.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:11 PM) : 

The property goes from The Bowery"the Giant Graffiti Wall" to Elizabeth St. Exact address is 76-78 East Houston. The tent has been there since 1986 way before the gentrification. WARNING !! To all flip flop wearers Syringes have been seen near the Wall.Probably came from the last flop house BRC Next to John Varvatos.Long Live Ye Olde Bowery !!

 

Blogger Hermione said ... (2:49 PM) : 

aw, memories....

 

Blogger Raul Villalobos said ... (12:32 PM) : 

When I lived on Ludlow and Houston, I used to love to walk on Houston to this store. I dreamt of having a huge apt (obviously in the LES) and fill it with trinkets and stuff from this place. Much missed

 

Blogger Douglas Cain said ... (2:03 PM) : 

Those signs were designed by Massimo Vignelli, a vintage design SUPERSTAR! I would die for one of those! I wish I was in NYC for a hot minuet. I would certainly snag one if I could...

www.Douglascain.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Cat Sitter in the City said ... (5:33 PM) : 

I love that this place endures. I am always relieved when I see it is still there. So many great places and things are disappearing in NYC, especially in this area.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:33 PM) : 

i got mu dresser here! amazing rustic maple with dove tail corners. $150 and that included delivery it into my bedroom

 

Blogger micah said ... (1:30 PM) : 

i love this place. if i could afford to furnish my entire apartment in great vintage finds... i would.

 

Anonymous Austin Criminal Lawyers said ... (3:49 AM) : 

Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.

 

Blogger sadmaan said ... (5:49 PM) : 

I would really love to have at least one glance of this beauty.
fantasy stock trading

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting