This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street....Spring St., New York City

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, November 05, 2009

On the Street....Spring St., New York City

Comments on "On the Street....Spring St., New York City"

 

Anonymous Mxolisi said ... (9:47 AM) : 

Are those Doc Marten's..? Haven't seen those in years.

 

Anonymous Dollar Bill said ... (9:50 AM) : 

what's with the trousers? why is everybody wearing trousers that are too short?
my my ...

 

Blogger Tim said ... (9:55 AM) : 

must have cold ankles this time of year

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:57 AM) : 

I love the combination of bare ankles and gloves

 

Anonymous The Photodiarist said ... (9:58 AM) : 

I love this look generally, but I still cannot get used to the short, rolled up pant look on guys. I have to admit that I never got on board with the Thom Browne thing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:01 AM) : 

Shades of Mad Magazine!

 

Blogger sincerely yours, j.Mills said ... (10:05 AM) : 

I love the short trousers and no socks look ;) a slight detail that makes a bold yet refined statement

 

Anonymous John said ... (10:05 AM) : 

@ dollar bill: they're folded..

 

Blogger c.creature said ... (10:06 AM) : 

Tim, I was thinking the SAME thing.

However, I like his 20's/50's hybrid look-- it's got nerdy polish. Also, his one button + multiple pocket coat makes a complex statement. I like it.

 

Blogger Michelle J Flynn said ... (10:11 AM) : 

what's it with all the haters... rolled up pants are awesome. and doc martens have been around for ages now

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:12 AM) : 

Love it. The fit of the jacket, the two pockets, the colour … Plus the slim cropped trousers of course. Very well done.

 

Blogger CAR said ... (10:12 AM) : 

nice shoes and skin colour

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:15 AM) : 

this photo perfectly helps me define the difference between following trends and being a slave of them.

Short slim-fit trousers, no socks and old style school are still huge, but the whole trend just looks wrong when the weather is cold and you're wearing a coat and gloves

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:15 AM) : 

The lack of socks and inclusion of gloves throws me off. For me, it should be the other way around.

 

Blogger May said ... (10:15 AM) : 

isn't it some kind of contradiction to wear gloves and not wearing socks?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:16 AM) : 

Not digging the sockless look for winter.

 

Anonymous Kazeem said ... (10:16 AM) : 

I like it - the Stand out Jacket and then black gloves & shoes. Going sockless is cool too. As long as he looks comfortable, that's all that counts.

 

Blogger What Would a Nerd Wear said ... (10:22 AM) : 

i love the shape of this coat and the asymmetrical pockets.
http://whatwouldanerdwear.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:23 AM) : 

Handsome face, sexy gloves... and the rest is plain ugly fashion that turned a cool guy into a fashion victim.

 

Blogger Ivy Lane said ... (10:24 AM) : 

i don't mind the short pants...but wear are the socks???? everyone is going out in the chill with no socks on !!!!

 

Blogger Mikey McFly™ said ... (10:25 AM) : 

I've never been a fan of the high "trousers" but the jacket is cool

 

Anonymous Holly said ... (10:26 AM) : 

I want that whole emsemble for myself...

 

Anonymous AnonymousJK said ... (10:30 AM) : 

Love every aspect and detail of this look - GR8 shot Sart!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:32 AM) : 

I think he looks fantastic.

 

Blogger Ste said ... (10:37 AM) : 

I love this photo and I love the way the black and gray outfit stands out against the colored background.
The shoes are pure class, but I don't think they look great without socks. They look a bit disproportioned on this slender man and I think a pair of gray socks or a pair of slightly longer trousers would avoid the "kid in dad's shoes" impression.
Beautiful coat too. Is that tweed?
BTW, love the man too!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:44 AM) : 

those aren't doc marten's. they're a plain toe oxford with a leather sole- could be by anyone though my faves are probably alden. love the coat. love the shoes. love the bag. the pants? absolutely not!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:58 AM) : 

Tim, I had the same feeling...nice look, very J.S, though...
Best

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:59 AM) : 

I LIKE IT!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:07 AM) : 

All good except he does look like he's rushed out the house and forgot an essential garment for this time of year, and I dont mean a scarf.

 

Blogger Art Corporation said ... (11:10 AM) : 

I Like IT!, seems Madrid
www.artcorporation.blogspot.com

 

Blogger deniz said ... (11:11 AM) : 

amazing work in terms of proportions.

 

Blogger The Blasphemous Fiendess said ... (11:11 AM) : 

Too feminine looking for my taste. I like the Doc Martins but not the rolled up pants.

 

Blogger hawk said ... (11:12 AM) : 

anybody know who made the jacket? i feel like a vibrant pair of socks could have made the same statement, and kept his ankles warm.

 

Anonymous bogdan said ... (11:16 AM) : 

Nice socks, nice shoes, great man

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:17 AM) : 

OK, I could wear that. With some higher heels. NIce color on th jacket.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:23 AM) : 

Looks like a guy in a woman's outfit...

 

Anonymous Citroen2cv said ... (11:27 AM) : 

It's not the ankles making him look cold: he looks frail because of the shoulder cut. Square the shoulders and heavy up the leather on the gloves.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:28 AM) : 

I like the individual pieces but as a whole I find it rather costume like. Especially in this season.
The shoe-pant combo also make his feet look huge.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:33 AM) : 

I would do anything to catch you in action! love this pic!

xoxo,
F

lekisskiss.blogspot.com <-- two girls living in chicago and nyc blogging all things fashion!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:46 AM) : 

It is the lack of socks which makes this outfit

 

Blogger FASHION SNAG said ... (11:52 AM) : 

love the cuffed pants and that coat is very nice!

www.FashionSnag.com

 

Blogger Soren Lorensen said ... (11:53 AM) : 

I call it a war-time school boy look for grown ups...

 

Blogger Soren Lorensen said ... (11:54 AM) : 

I am really seeing the effects of the recession in a widespread boycotting of socks

 

Blogger VVM said ... (12:01 PM) : 

jacket Helmut Lang? at a guess

 

Anonymous Susan said ... (12:01 PM) : 

It may be true that it is too cold to wear rolled up pants but he still made the look very clean and nice.

http://mushitushi.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Julia Bolchakova said ... (12:18 PM) : 

I needed a couple ofminutes to take it in, but now I really like this look. The photo is a little strange though: looks like the guy is levitating. Wait - he is levitating!

 

Anonymous Edgar C said ... (12:20 PM) : 

Hair - yes
Jacket - yes
Shoes - yes

Pants - no
Bag - no

 

Blogger doingtheunstuck said ... (12:25 PM) : 

perfect down to the very last detail.

 

Blogger Thomas said ... (12:26 PM) : 

i really like...i really like

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:42 PM) : 

Very effinate, but that's his choice. At least he looks well-groomed in it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:43 PM) : 

a pair of men's dress nylons would have really pushed the dandy pov and made sense...he does have on gloves and a coat so I'm guessing it's chilly.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:59 PM) : 

Love the jacket and shoes, but not so much the short trousers.
Handsom young man.

 

Blogger Richie Designs said ... (1:08 PM) : 

love it I would wear it all

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:15 PM) : 

I have to agree with the poster above...the whole look is extremely feminine...

 

Anonymous Abhilash said ... (1:18 PM) : 

Nice fittings.

The trousers are short. I hope there is no flood.

:)

 

Blogger Tyler Scaife said ... (1:34 PM) : 

not into the coat or lack of socks.

 

Blogger C A said ... (1:36 PM) : 

He looks more than perfect, very Paris haute couture, the only thing I don't like is the shoes.. Why do people insist in wearing those "circus" shoes??!

@ MaisonChaplin.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Johnny said ... (1:44 PM) : 

torn, on one hand I love the overall look because it's very fresh and simple. On another note the man looks a bit too feminine.
Great capture!

 

Blogger uhuhuhjn said ... (1:48 PM) : 

his ankles must be freezing

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:09 PM) : 

Cute. The rolled up trews work but it's a little odd to wear gloves and yet no socks. Bit nippy round the ankles! LOL

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:10 PM) : 

Cute. The rolled up trews work for me. I do find it odd that he's got gloves on yet no socks. A bit nippy round the ankles! LOL

 

Blogger msm said ... (2:20 PM) : 

what!? the trousers are PERFECT. in fact, the same outfit with some chic boots would have been impeccable.

 

Blogger the coach said ... (2:24 PM) : 

nice purse

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:38 PM) : 

It looks like he was levitating

www.lamodeloperfecta.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Lorena said ... (3:19 PM) : 

I love the coat, the unique color and three pockets make it special. I like everything else too, he just needs socks. I don't mind that the look is feminine.


http://ganymedekids.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:37 PM) : 

I agree: very effeminate, but that's his choice. Personally not a fan of this look.

 

Blogger whyioughtta said ... (3:40 PM) : 

I mean this as a compliment: he sort of reminds me of a male Audrey Hepburn. He uses similar rules of simplicity and great cut for a very chic effect. I like this a lot.

 

Blogger Lolitta said ... (4:06 PM) : 

I love the coat, however, this is something distracting with the absence of socks.

http://loveyourfabulousself.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Shay said ... (4:06 PM) : 

What about the "Man Bag"
It just pushes over the edge for me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:17 PM) : 

Very androgynous. Now who makes this jacket and where can I get it?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:33 PM) : 

How can you confuse Doc Marten's with chunky oxfords? (I guess I just answered my own question...)

You don't have to be a Thom Browne follower to wear short, slim pants and show off your socks (or lack thereof, in this case): Stylish people have been doing just that as early as 1963, the English mods in particular, but also loads of European and American film stars of the 1960s.

I don't understand people who think this look is too effeminate. What's so effeminate about it? It's not like he's wearing make up or a skirt. Gloves but no socks is a contradiction, though -- even a bit unsettling. I agree: some old-fashioned brogues with a nice pair of socks would have been nicer.

Still, impeccable look with a beautiful coat. Wouldn't mind seeing this much more often on guys than all the acid-wash jeans, chunky Nikes and, in particular, those awful low-cut v-neck fluorescent t-shirts.

 

Blogger Brummagem Joe said ... (6:16 PM) : 

Pee wee Herman lives

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:30 PM) : 

He looks like he is floating above the sidewalk. I love the one button and the three pockets. Flawless.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:40 PM) : 

He looks too calculated and safe, this look is 'done'.

 

Anonymous sanmiguelense said ... (6:53 PM) : 

He's a mamine (man+gamine) with a nice murse.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:07 PM) : 

Are men's ankles that attractive?! It's gone too far, this sockless rolled-up lack, literally:-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:21 PM) : 

the coat is prada, the shoes are definitely church's..

 

Anonymous maranda said ... (8:29 PM) : 

i like mr bean...

 

Anonymous minor keys said ... (9:14 PM) : 

this is a perfect look in my opinion; the proportions, colors and textures are spot-on. I love the rolled cuffs on a slim pant; i like the peek of ankle. great detailing on the jacket. He looks very sharp and still youthful. I especially like that his style seems to suit his personality so fully.
well done, Sart!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:44 PM) : 

for me he is the only guy i have seen that actually makes the Thom Browne thing look good (and not awkward). Maybe it is the length of the pants or his slim ankles and not-overly-exaggerated/chunky shoes.

The pants seem to be of a nice cotton, too, which i like. i also like the coat, the cuts seems a bit mod. i am sorry but for some reason i love the pants, the dark black in that fabric - wonder if they have a bit of stretch in them...

 

Blogger cornliquordrinker said ... (10:03 PM) : 

the jacket (apart from the quirky pockets) looks like something my grandmother would wear around the house. ugh.

 

Anonymous claire L. said ... (10:19 PM) : 

looks like a hit man

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (10:41 PM) : 

I love his coat.

 

Blogger Liz S said ... (10:41 PM) : 

Just a totally great look with a touch of quirkiness to add interest and individuality. Love the shoes with no socks in this case--socks would have cut the look up too much. If he's cold he can turn down his trousers--ok!

 

Blogger Rose. said ... (3:43 AM) : 

I realise, watching this photo, that I realy like to see man's ankles !
Rose.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:48 AM) : 

Young man needs to spread some jam on his shoes and invite his trousers down for tea :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:04 AM) : 

there's a bit of mr. bean about him

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:16 AM) : 

no socks in those shoes in cold weather can only mean cold, clammy, sweaty feet.

 

Blogger rhai♥laborte said ... (9:31 AM) : 

I want his shoes!

KA-VOGUE-GAY-RA
KA-VOGUE-GAY-RA
KA-VOGUE-GAY-RA

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:46 AM) : 

I don’t like how his pants & shoes look together… weird, almost cartoon-ish proportions. I like the rest of the outfit though.

 

Anonymous Kristin said ... (9:59 AM) : 

I think it's cute. He reminds me of a little boy who's shoes are a bit too big, in an endearing kind of way....

 

Anonymous Mens Wrist Watches said ... (10:13 AM) : 

You have some great pictures on your blog! This style reminds me of Breakfast at Tiffany's - just that it's not a girl but a guy (it is, isn't it???) ;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:32 AM) : 

Spot on dude, you nailed it. This was the look that was on all the runways two winters ago - down to the frail, skinny and pale look. Reminds me a lot of Dries van Noten. As cold as his ankles may be, it is absolutely necessary to go sockless so that the proportion of boxy on top works with skinny and shortened at the bottom. Perfect.

Energie

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:11 PM) : 

I love the fact that he dares to wear no socks in cold weather. I'm considering removing mine this very minute. I'll have to wait though until the gentleman in the next cubicle takes his cigarette break.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:13 PM) : 

When will men stop wearing skinny jeans which make their feet look huge??? The rolled up cuff only makes it all worse.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:14 PM) : 

they are NOT doc martins. docs are not shiny and the soles are not that thin.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:59 PM) : 

So Mia Farrow.

 

Anonymous Christopher said ... (1:34 AM) : 

Am I the only one who see's Audrey Hepburn in this picture?

The jacket looks like vintage Balenciaga or Raf Simons for Jil Sander. I personally don't care for the look, it's a little too American in Paris.

 

Blogger Tanya said ... (2:27 AM) : 

That coat is freaking awesome.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:56 AM) : 

did Anonymous take his socks off??

 

Blogger Mattias said ... (12:21 PM) : 

I wonder where he got his bag! :o

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:15 PM) : 

I want his shoes to be sleeker, with a long and low vamp. I also want them to be another color, grey. Man are grey leather oxford style shoes hard to find. Because the pants are so slim and rolled the shoes need to be as slim as possible. Some squishier loafer thing would have been nice, perhaps in suede. This is surely the most subtle cross dressing I may ever see.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:33 PM) : 

@ Francesca - I'd do anything to catch YOU in action.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:31 PM) : 

This is AMAZING! THis is MY style!

- http://21arrondissement.com

 

Anonymous michelle said ... (4:36 AM) : 

I feel like this is something I should be wearing. Not him. Too girly.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:15 AM) : 

He looks AMAZING! Well done sir!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:37 PM) : 

The confusion about the shoes is astonishing. Since there is only about ten diffent classic types of shoes you should easily identify them as bluchers (not oxfords, not Doc Martens). It's probably cordovan leather. The Haircut ist Doc Marten which may have boosted the confusion about the shoes.
Like the hair and the shoes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:09 PM) : 

those look more like classic military issue shoes to me

 

Anonymous Signor said ... (7:00 AM) : 

Haha the ticker pocket on the jacket intrigues me!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:06 PM) : 

The shoes are great, the only good thing about all this.

Why the ambiguity? (sorry for incorrect spelling)

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting