This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street....The Driver, San Francisco

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, October 26, 2009

On the Street....The Driver, San Francisco


One of my favorite encounters on this book tour was my driver in San Francisco.

As you can see he was very elegant and practically oozed self-confidence, dignity and pride in his work.

I love people who show pride in their work, regardless of the job.

This man's car was spotless, his shoes were shined and he knew exactly where he was going. He wasn't dressed like that for me, he had no idea who I was, this was just another day and just another ride done in his own stylish way.

I've said this so many times before, and recently in the intro of my book. Even though this blog is about fashion I don't really think about fashion when I look at this photo. I think about how he is communicating his sense of pride and self-worth; not by how expensive his clothes are but by how he wears his clothes, his posture and his politeness. This man is pure style.

Comments on "On the Street....The Driver, San Francisco"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:54 PM) : 

i have been following your blog for a few months now and i love most of all your eye for the human spirit.

 

Anonymous Skin Care said ... (12:54 PM) : 

Nice information shared. I'm getting continues knowledge since I joined this blog. Wonderful platform to increase knowledge... Cheers

 

Anonymous roy said ... (12:59 PM) : 

nice one, great comment by the sartorialist.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:00 PM) : 

Hear, hear! He looks really happy!

 

Anonymous J. said ... (1:01 PM) : 

We'd love to see you in Canada^^*

 

Blogger dramamama said ... (1:02 PM) : 

sophiticated and elegant indeed. Great photo!

 

Blogger Jillian Hobbs said ... (1:03 PM) : 

that is what i call class!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:06 PM) : 

I blamed it on the IT boom in late 90s that busted in 2000. It was probably one of the billionares that invented casual Friday in North America! I would love to see my butcher wearing his tie again and see my coworker wearing his pressed khaki pants on a Friday.

 

Blogger Nicholas said ... (1:06 PM) : 

Scott, I never get tired of your photos as they come into my RSS feed and this is definitely one of the classiest I've seen yet. I agree with you on the fact that it's not wholly about the clothes, but how the person expresses and carries themselves while in them.

 

Blogger taryn said ... (1:07 PM) : 

I love this Scott. My sentiments exactly! It really is about a sense of happiness, pride in who you are and what you do, being genuine and being true to yourself. Fashion is simply another outward way of expressing that.

Nice post. Thank you! I needed that today.

xx

 

Anonymous greendress said ... (1:07 PM) : 

Sart, that is such a beautiful comment and so true.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:12 PM) : 

It's a great photo. Charming.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:12 PM) : 

This is a great shot. It brought to mind Lewis Hine.

 

Blogger Stephon said ... (1:12 PM) : 

Pure pride !! Pure style... I'm proud for him !! thanks...

htttp://fashioneptunes.blogspot.com

 

Blogger cindy said ... (1:13 PM) : 

very nice.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:13 PM) : 

Oh I actually have tears in my eyes.

I love people who show pride in their work, regardless of the job.

 

Blogger AndYouMayFindYourself said ... (1:15 PM) : 

Pure style indeed.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:15 PM) : 

Self confidence is the best accessory, ever.

 

Blogger Teresa @ good-grace said ... (1:16 PM) : 

DEFinitely agree... PURE STYLE! Very well said. Such a handsome gentleman.

 

Blogger Style Scanner said ... (1:17 PM) : 

Nicely cut suit - neat armholes. The choice of black & white doesn't look too pretentious here, I think, because he's smiling.

 

Anonymous Mary said ... (1:21 PM) : 

So well put! I think this is why your work reaches such a broad audience of fans. It's often so much more that just beautiful people wearing expensive clothes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:21 PM) : 

He Looks Smart & Friendly
xD

www.santenne-katogo.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Darcy Rogers said ... (1:22 PM) : 

glad to see you in SF!

 

Blogger styling fabulous said ... (1:24 PM) : 

i have seen this gentleman on many occasions in sf...he is ALWAYS impeccably dressed...

 

Anonymous Jackson said ... (1:24 PM) : 

That's the Bay Area for you. Arguably the birthplace of American pride in so many capacities. And home to so many great tailors.

 

Blogger Couture Coco said ... (1:25 PM) : 

I couldn't agree with you more. This man looks like a truly marvelous character to know and projects such warmth. A rare being indeed, timeless and ageless. It's just perfect how you have captured so much more of him than just his clothes in b/w.
Thank you.

 

Blogger Couture Coco said ... (1:28 PM) : 

Any chance at all of seeing you in Dubai?

 

Anonymous The Photodiarist said ... (1:28 PM) : 

You are really giving us some amazing posts! I LOVE THIS. This guy totally exudes style. He looks impeccable. Also, i love your choice of black and white for this photograph.

 

Blogger Andrew Barker said ... (1:30 PM) : 

Great shot! You realy can feel his energy just by looking at it. I love that it looks like it could have been taken anytime in the last 50 years. Very classic.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:30 PM) : 

soooo cool. he looks so classy.


xoxo,
F

lekisskiss.blogspot.com --> two girls living in nyc and chi blogging all things fashion

 

Blogger FASHION SNAG said ... (1:31 PM) : 

pride shows and it makes people look better.

www.FashionSnag.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:33 PM) : 

The guy get such a classy self

Gaelle
http://beinglovingdoing.wordpress.com

 

Anonymous Shayne Gonzales said ... (1:35 PM) : 

I love this post!!!

 

Blogger Shayne said ... (1:37 PM) : 

I absolutely adore this post!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:38 PM) : 

That man is fly and classy !! I wish the young guys my ages dressed like that. No more baggy t's boys :P

 

Blogger amalie said ... (1:38 PM) : 

i so agree! he's looks great.

 

Blogger JamesM said ... (1:39 PM) : 

Pure style indeed.

Could you post his contact information? I am in the Bay Area every few months and would like to book him.

-James M.

 

Anonymous Dee said ... (1:41 PM) : 

He is pure style!

 

Blogger Marta said ... (1:44 PM) : 

It's so authentic...I love it.

 

Blogger Antonio Barros said ... (1:49 PM) : 

Wooow! He looks perfect!

thesingular.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:50 PM) : 

I tune in to your blog daily to feast on your delicious photos. I have an issue with this commentary. I'm sure it's unintentional, but each compliment is tinged with condescension. Why wouldn't this man turn it out in every way? Why wouldn't he know exactly where he's going? Why wouldn't he have self-worth or take pride in his job? You diminish his worth when you diminish his work with your presumption. He looks great. "Pure style" would have been sufficient. A picture's worth a thousand words.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:56 PM) : 

i agree -- through from a fashion standpoint, he seems to have it down

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:58 PM) : 

I immediately thought of Marshall (Ossie Davis) the limo driver in Joe vs the Volcano. Very nice.

 

Blogger Mikey McFly™ said ... (1:59 PM) : 

Joe Cool!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:03 PM) : 

Very nice photo of an apparently LOVELY man! I REALLY like when you WRITE a blurb of a story to describe the people in your photos. The stories really humanizes the fashion subjects ! ;)

 

Blogger Ashley said ... (2:10 PM) : 

I wish more people would take a card from this distinguished dresser. He looks fantastic doesn't he? He looks like someone should be driving him somewhere!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:10 PM) : 

He's reminiscent of a style and attitude that is in danger of being lost. Great shot.

 

Blogger Catherine said ... (2:16 PM) : 

Thanks so much for this photograph, and you're absolutely right.

 

Blogger Gina said ... (2:17 PM) : 

I love how this man wears something that FITS. The tailoring on this suit is very precise, and he's not afraid to wear it that way.

 

Blogger the nickel fit said ... (2:18 PM) : 

this is just great. the man must read your blog. jacket length errs to the short side, which is what's in now.

i prefer a slightly higher gorge notch lapel in most jackets, but since the pattern is already slight-seer, the decision for a standard lapel keeps the look subtle and clean.

 

Blogger COCAMIA said ... (2:18 PM) : 

That was by far one of the best!!!

 

Blogger Rachael said ... (2:22 PM) : 

I might not know "fashion," but I think this guy looks a hundred times better than some pretentious fop in a scarf, short pants, and hipster glasses. Very refreshing.

 

Blogger Manuel said ... (2:23 PM) : 

innate elegance and style.Scott nice Shot, congratulations

 

Anonymous tj said ... (2:26 PM) : 

A great smile. Taking pride in one's work is a beautiful thing. Next time help this gent out by unfastening his jacket's bottom button.

 

Blogger brittany sterling said ... (2:29 PM) : 

Aw, I wish I could have made it to your book tour in sf. I only live a couple hours away. But, I do completely agree with the notion that it is how you where your clothes that makes you look good.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:30 PM) : 

Wow, what a gorgeous human being!It made me happy just to look at him. Oh, and his clothes are nice too.

 

Anonymous Wind said ... (2:31 PM) : 

VERY well put. everyone should take such pride in their jobs, regardless of the profession!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:31 PM) : 

This photo makes me smile!

 

Anonymous Edgar C said ... (2:36 PM) : 

SF fashion rocks.

I used to travel from the South Bay on BART w/ my exgf just so I could shop at I Magnin basement and to get my shoes at Arthur Beren Shoes at Union Square.

 

Blogger Laura Evrard said ... (2:39 PM) : 

This man exudes impeccability, charm and kindness. What wonderful style! What a great photograph. This is my favorite photo (of yours) yet published.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:42 PM) : 

great post; the man is both charming and touching.

 

Blogger Jaybureaucrazy said ... (2:42 PM) : 

Very few people left like him in the World. People who do not have to think about fashion, style, fads... They simply have it within them, making part of who they are...
Great photo, Fantastic image

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:47 PM) : 

this post made me want to cry.......what a lovely comment about such a classy man. I certainly hope he see's this outpouring of admiration.........

 

Blogger Hello Darling said ... (2:48 PM) : 

that is beautifully put. thank you for sharing with us your pictures, and most of all your thoughts. i love that you look past the surface level, and deeper into the human spirit/character. i think that's the quiet beauty of fashion.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:50 PM) : 

YES¡¡
I´m agree with you, exactly when you say "not by how expensive his clothes are but by how he wears his clothes".
Every day I try to transmit this idea to my daughter.
Thank you.

 

Blogger J said ... (2:56 PM) : 

This post really made me smile, literally. I even got chills. I LOVE your perspective and a seemingly down-to-earth personality. I would love to know the man in your picture, he seems like a wonderful person. I think this may be my favorite post :-)

 

Blogger J.P. Archie said ... (2:58 PM) : 

I love it!

 

Blogger DaniBP said ... (3:00 PM) : 

Thanks for this post, Scott. What a handsome gentleman. Great STYLE!

 

Anonymous Josh said ... (3:07 PM) : 

Well put, Sart! Regardless of one's job, even if it's just to drive people around, one should always look nice, as this gentleman certainly does. We can't see his shoes, so we'll have to take your word that they are shined, but we can see his teeth, and they are well brushed indeed, further proof of his self-esteem.

 

Blogger Josh Tengan said ... (3:08 PM) : 

wonderful commentary on an amazing portrait

 

Blogger Melissa~ said ... (3:13 PM) : 

He looks gorgeous!
I'm agree with you, his pride and love shows in his clothes.
perfect!

 

Blogger TMFA said ... (3:17 PM) : 

Love his slim fit blazer and love the story behind this picture.

 

Blogger aynne said ... (3:17 PM) : 

what a class act... bravo

 

Anonymous Amara Richardson said ... (3:28 PM) : 

This post defines one of the many reasons i love this blog! It was so wonderful to meet you in san francisco last week, i was towards the end of the line in a gold and peach floral sparkly coat worried that i wouldn't get to meet you! but i did! it was honestly one of the highlights of my young life, you were so nice and friendly even at that late hour, thank you for coming to see us out west!

-amara

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:30 PM) : 

Well said!

Polished, sophisticated and confident. I love it; he brings a smile to my face! I really think that 90% of fashion is confidence.

 

Blogger WebMaster said ... (3:32 PM) : 

he is sooooooo elegant!!! i am keep righting to you to come to santiago with your book!!!!

 

Anonymous Kristin said ... (3:34 PM) : 

Very true! Love this man's style and attitude, so classy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:36 PM) : 

Saying it LOUD Im BLACK AND IM PROUD
THE PICTURE THE GENTLEMAN AND HIS JOB.A CRETAIN ELAN FROM EARLY 60'S

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:38 PM) : 

What a handsome man!!!
100% agree with you

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:40 PM) : 

The definition of class and style - Scott and the Driver.

 

Blogger mockumentary said ... (3:44 PM) : 

Yes! Nice one of this man. At the airport?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:51 PM) : 

luxury clothing is flossy but the truth of it comes forth from within. I can't agree enough, "...not by how expensive his clothes are but how he wears his clothes. "

not just style, dignity.

 

Blogger norawoah said ... (3:51 PM) : 

He is perfection.
These ideas are what I try to express to people who don't get it. Its not about being expensive,or super posh- its about being excited about the choice you've made to present to the world.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:55 PM) : 

old school baby
www.therichhomeless.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:56 PM) : 

this shows that ¨having style has nothing to do about about age, money, status,job position.... Its all about the spirit, self confidence, attitude towards Life!
Great Post Scott!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:57 PM) : 

I love it when fashion people try to get all populist. It's always a journey into the heart of triteness & condescension.

 

Blogger Wrinkled Linen said ... (3:57 PM) : 

Now, THAT is what I'm talkin' about.

 

Blogger goodkat said ... (3:59 PM) : 

:')

hiii, i love how your writing mirrors the pictures you take - crisp, clean...concise

i am pretty sad that i didn't get to meet you at your book signing in dallas, tx...i was there, from 7 - 7:20 pm, i was on my lunch break at work and the q & a were still going...and i had to get back

but nonetheless it was awesome being there as you talked

~kathy

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:01 PM) : 

He looks so nice - almost from a bygone era. Love the B&W shot. I would ride around with him all day if I could!! I bet he was also interesting to talk to.

Thanks for all you do - I'm learning from your blog :-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:03 PM) : 

fantastic!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:04 PM) : 

Yep: "This man is pure style"...
Awesome photo!!!

 

Blogger cornliquordrinker said ... (4:08 PM) : 

"ain't nobody dope as me I dress so fresh so clean (so fresh and so clean, clean)....."

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:13 PM) : 

What a nice-looking man! You're right; taking care in one's appearance definitely inspires confidence. I'd definitely trust him to drive me anywhere.

Now, off to wash my own slovenly car ...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:16 PM) : 

This man is working it! I LOVE SF!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:17 PM) : 

that's a great photo!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:18 PM) : 

yes, san francisco is where it is at.

 

Blogger JOSH STEVENS said ... (4:20 PM) : 

love it.

 

Anonymous Vanessa said ... (4:27 PM) : 

Thank you for posting people like this. Just everyday, regular people, who have a sense of self and sense of style, despite the fact that they may not spend a fortune on their wardrobe. These are the photos of yours that I love the most. Far more than those of editors and models at fashion week. Those are great, too, but they there's something special about seeing regular people posted on here.

 

Blogger Katherine said ... (4:32 PM) : 

I love how you can see someone's sense one's sense of character through of photograph. He seems like such a darling man. And you are such are great photographer.

 

Blogger uhuhuhjn said ... (4:33 PM) : 

LOOKING AT THE PICTURE ALONE MAKES ME SMILLE :0 :0 :0. YOU COULD SEE THE HAPPINESS IN THE MANS EYE KNOWING HE LOVES WHAT HE DOES BEST AND THAT MAKES HIM HAPPY WITH HIS JOB. THESE ARE THE KIND OF PEOPLE WE NEED IN THE WORLD TODAY.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:34 PM) : 

Thanks again, Scott. Your wonderful comments remind me of my grandfather, who insisted that manners and style were "the great equalizers." He was a Chicago cop who exuded a similar dignity even during his tenth and final decade.

 

Blogger the goorgeous said ... (4:35 PM) : 

This man is awesome! he convey an air of pride and positivity worthy to admire!

http://thegoorgeous.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger The Daily Connoisseur said ... (4:35 PM) : 

I love this post. It is clear this man takes pride in what he does and there is nothing that I respect more. It is true- I don't care what you do, if you are a CEO, janitor, teacher, driver etc. if you take pride in what you do you ooze class. Great picture.

 

Blogger foongfest said ... (4:46 PM) : 

This man is one class act.
And the great smile really shows his personality.
Pure style indeed.

 

Blogger Lexi said ... (4:51 PM) : 

well put. Beautiful presence...

http://www.3oclockpop.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:52 PM) : 

I agree witj you. So simple so great

 

Blogger SparkleQueen said ... (4:54 PM) : 

I was born in San Francisco. and lived there for some time... it's such a wonderful city. And your driver is one fabulous man!

Emily

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:55 PM) : 

The fashion statement here is that magnificent model.

Absolutely - pure style.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:02 PM) : 

Word.
I really enjoy your book, by the way.

 

Blogger Trude said ... (5:09 PM) : 

...and also pure class. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:14 PM) : 

I am so happy to see a photo from San Francisco. I have been waiting for one for the two years I have been checking your blog.

Unfortunately, when you came to my hometown, I was away. Maybe next time? I hope there will be many.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:17 PM) : 

Such class. Love it!

 

Anonymous vaia said ... (5:26 PM) : 

I like your picture and I love your comments about it! It's not about the price of the clothes but rather about the attitude! So true!
Thank you.

 

Blogger Beverly. said ... (5:34 PM) : 

"As you can see he was very elegant and practically oozed self-confidence, dignity and pride in his work.

I love people who show pride in their work, regardless of the job."

I wholeheartedly agree with you.

 

Anonymous phyllis said ... (6:29 PM) : 

That man is very essence of dapper.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:49 PM) : 

although this image is full of soul and love. I'm interested: is this the only image form your Sf book tour?
I imagine San Francisco to be a wildly creative city full of interesting/quirky ppl.

 

Blogger Tweety said ... (7:10 PM) : 

Such a grand man...wonderful capture.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:19 PM) : 

What a great picture and commentary. (You should do more commentary)
He looks very classy and elegant. Some people are just born with it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:35 PM) : 

class

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:40 PM) : 

I'm sorry, folks. I'm going to have to echo the 'condescension' angle here. The guy is a driver. There is nothing wrong at all with that job -- it's not a 'regardless of the job' job. There are no 'regardless of the job' jobs. You diminish the job, and him, by suggesting otherwise.

There's no need to make social commentary here. The man looks swank, period.

(also, all you commenters are giving him a free pass on style. Sure, he looks good, but what's with the the double-buttoning of his coat? You can bet he doesn't have both of those buttoned when he's driving. I'm going to forgive the cell phone in his pocket, because I keep mine there, too, bulge be dammed.)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:40 PM) : 

Now THIS is why I fell in love with your blog. I'd live happily to never see another pic of Anna Della Russo or even Carine Roitfeld again. Photos like This Gentleman are what are true genius. Dignity is always in style, and kudos to you for recognizing that, capturing it with your camera, and sharing it with all of us.

 

Blogger J. said ... (9:13 PM) : 

We're waiting for you in Toronto!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:14 PM) : 

Ah... beautiful, mate. Everyday people showing overpaid fashionistas that their questionable authoritative pronouncements are not required.

Pietro

 

Blogger Heather Taylor said ... (9:50 PM) : 

He is the very definition of timeless elegance. Simply gorgeous.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:05 PM) : 

Yes he is! Very beautiful photo. Happy to see other people other than the over-abundant socialites or mtv personalities.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:10 PM) : 

Wow. I have had you as my home page for ...ahem...awhile - so loving the visual inspiration ....and now you go and sum up what is so beautiful about the people you capture... Thanks Scott and please, keep doing what you do.

 

Anonymous John M. Doyle said ... (10:14 PM) : 

So many of us who have seen this spirit are just absolutely grateful that it does exist. Your commentary and photo are completely on the mark. I just wish that more people would "get it" and try to manifest this same spirit no matter what walk of life they come from or are presently in. Let me give you an example from my life.
I have an uncle who is 78 and who, like the rest of my mother's family, is a concentration camp survivor who has never lost his sense of dignity and self worth. I just saw him the other day, out by his house, raking the leaves while wearing a well pressed shirt and trousers, with his shoes polished (as usual) to a high gloss-all of his clothes being at least ten years old, except for the shoes (they were probably twenty years old). It is examples like this in my life that have made me realize long ago, that one does not have to follow fashion or even be particularly fashionable in order to possess a keen sense of style. My hope is that other people will be open to the possibility that this vision can exist in their own lives.

 

Blogger simplychic said ... (10:49 PM) : 

he looks like a million bucks!

 

Blogger stephanie said ... (10:51 PM) : 

Sorry, but this post is really Orientalizing. I'm sure that you don't mean it intentionally, and I'm sure that you won't post this comment publicly, but I thought that (esp. since you don't mean it intentionally) you should know. I like reading your blog, and I don't mean this in any way as a personal criticism...but I hope that maybe this comment will make you think a little bit more about your class assumptions? (and race)

Honestly, would you make the same comments about someone who took pride in having made jillions of dollars on Wall St and was dressed super fashionably as well? Do you really love them as well?

You write all of this as though the fact that someone with a lower-class service job actually cares about themselves and has self-confidence and "dignity" is remarkable. He might not have been dressed like this specifically for you, but who knows why he dresses like this...could very well have something to do with wanting to get ahead in a service industry. As a friend of mine said,

"Additionally, the post, especially in remarks to politeness and "self-worth" makes me think of Richard Wright's novels, and specifically of Bigger Thomas in "Native Son," or of generations of black porters who learned to smile at every white person, or of cooks, drivers, and other employment groups of subservient Negroes that have faded into cultural memory."

Not that there is anything wrong with that on his part, just that I feel like you are romanticizing/aestheticizing away a lot of the more gruesome aspects of class, labor, and race in America. Which is potentially dangerous, and not in a good way.(Or, at least not in a good way for those of us who care about changing those conditions for the better.)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:53 PM) : 

You're too frigging sensitive, Johnathan 7:40 PM. Relaxez vous. I though nothing untoward about Scott's choice of words and I wouldn't have either had the subject been an Italian street sweeper or a low-caste sewerage block unblocker in India.

Pietro

 

Blogger Anastasia said ... (11:10 PM) : 

oh he looks it!!!
great shot...what a lovely smiley face!

 

Anonymous Em said ... (11:16 PM) : 

This is what made me fall in love with your pictures - your genuine respect for style. Thanks.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:19 PM) : 

Great photo, great caption. Totally captures what this great blog is about. Was starting to lose faith after "LV tweens," but this makes up for it ;)

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (11:44 PM) : 

For Stephanie 10:51pm

Have you red my blog for longer than one day?

Are you serious with the... "Honestly, would you make the same comments about someone who took pride in having made jillions of dollars on Wall St and was dressed super fashionably as well? Do you really love them as well? "....have we just met?
have you not seen my post about the super chic italians in their perfectly cut suits....or "bald, fat man" his suits cost big $$$ but I treat him with the same respect as this man.

The problem is not me ....it's you! you try to scare people with your hyper-political correctness so everyone is scared to say anything.

this post had to do with people that take pride in their job regardless of age, race, or class level. I guess you react better than you read.

Besides I said nothing about him having a "lower class service job"...you did. I don't assume he is lower class.. He might own that car and make as much money as you Stephanie. Why are you assuming he doesn't make more monry than you?? that seems a bit condesending to me. I know my drivers in Europe make a very good day rate.

Next time read what i wrote and not what you think you can twist around to fit your daily pc rant.

 

Anonymous yani said ... (11:51 PM) : 

This is one of the best photos I have ever seen on this blog. Simple, elegant, artful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:55 PM) : 

The photo and commentary turned my perennial frown upside down. Then the Politically Correct Police (PCP) turned it to a frown again. I don't like this turn of events.

I see the photo and commentary as the celebration of a man of elegance and pride. All that nitpicking and exaggerated interpretation of words in their minutia to extract falsehood by the PCP is pointless, callous and unwarranted.

I could go on ad-infinitum. I have written about this dastardly practice but I now choose to let the state of the world speak for itself.

Pietro

 

Anonymous Pat said ... (12:02 AM) : 

I was so happy to see you say " I love people who who show pride in their work, regardless of the job". So do I and it made my day to read it. He looks great.

 

Blogger Steven Varni, aka Sig. Nonloso said ... (12:05 AM) : 

Okay, it's unfortunately gotten a bit ugly, but I think I know what the Sartorialist was getting at in his commentary on the pic and even what Stephanie was getting at in her response and all I can say is that the original photo stands well completely on its own, without commentary from anyone.

I don't need to know the occupation of any of the photographic subjects, the pics tell so many more things than anyone's words or formulations possibly could.

 

Blogger Heather Gray said ... (12:10 AM) : 

Scott, I love your blog and can easily see that you see people before fashion. You photograph confident beautiful souls of all kinds who use fashion as a means of self-expression. I don't know why some people find the need to criticize this post. I think you are amazing at observing intriguing people as well as photographing them. You see everyone. Some people look at others and can only see themselves and read what they want into what others say. You see light and love. I thoroughly enjoy your blog. Have a beautiful day. .::Heather::.

 

Anonymous StevenDV said ... (12:14 AM) : 

Oh, Pietro 11:55 PM, if you honestly think the "state of the world" reveals the dastardly influence of the Politically Correct Police then you are indeed an innocent little lamb--in spite of that "perennial frown" you say that you wear.

Come on, cheer up, much much much more awful things than Stephanie's "PC" remarks have been going on for the whole of history.

If that's as bad as it gets for you, you should be wearing one long happy and fortunate grin.

 

Anonymous browneyedgirl said ... (12:20 AM) : 

i agree with you 100%! look at his stance, it's so full of self-confidence. his smile is just wonderful. and he makes it a point to dress like this everyday. love it!!

 

Blogger sweet.hereafter said ... (12:23 AM) : 

*Pure style* is right! I can see why this gentleman was one of your favorite encounters in SF. I almost think you didn't need to write any text -- this is one portrait that seems truly worth a thousand words.

http://dimsumjournal.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:33 AM) : 

This is the kind of man I'd love to go to dinner with.
He is elegant, happy with himself and it seems, the world around him. With a smile like his, who wouldn't be happy?

He's hot!

Felicia, This Time in Seoul (blog)

 

Blogger C A said ... (12:41 AM) : 

Self-confidence is the first step to be elegant and stylish. Without it you can't reach the next step.

@
MaisonChaplin.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Iyengar's Impetus said ... (12:46 AM) : 

Well said, Yes, there is so much dignity in how he carries himself! Thank you for capturing this image.

 

Blogger Beverly said ... (1:15 AM) : 

this is a great photo! don't listen to all the haters :)

 

Blogger stephanie said ... (2:12 AM) : 

Wow Sart. I thought that my comment was pretty civil. Thank you for posting it and keeping this an open forum, but I don't think that the tone of your reply was warranted.

First off, I have read your blog since 2006. I subscribe to it in Google Reader and very much enjoy looking at the images.

Second, I'm sure that man does make more than I do, considering what I make. I didn't make any assumption contrary to this. However, class and salary are not the same thing. I don't think that anyone would argue that being a driver puts one in a lower social class than being a stockbroker. Even if the driver is making a ton of money and the stockbroker is having a terrible year and makes nothing.

I know very well that you photograph tons of very wealthy people, I just don't ever see you commenting about their dignity, as though it is something remarkable.I actually mistyped when I said "do you really love them as well." I should have written, "do you really love their pride in their work?"

Also, please, I am not trying to scare people. I am trying to make a comment. Other people can comment back and defend themselves or you if they want to. There is nothing wrong with a few different perspectives from time to time. This is mine.

Again, thanks for actually posting this. Also, I actually agree with Jen that the pic stands perfectly well on its own, it was just the commentary that I found really problematic.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:31 AM) : 

Thanks for the latest great picture. So pleased that you talk about clothes as an expression of pride and self worth. I work with some very 'challenged' people here in London and sometimes all they have is their spirit and self respect which is occasionally expressed some 'fierce' style. ( Great sneakers a stylish hat etc)When I encounter that I know that they have a chance a making it to 'the other side', because it's an expression of hope of dignity in the face of adversity. That is the power of clothes as so eloquently conveyed in the 'Thoughtful Dresser.' keeping taking the pictures!

 

Blogger Yassmina said ... (3:17 AM) : 

Well I am surprised at people's sensitivity, but people are strange that way haha! =P

The only thing I thought was ...sweeeet photo! Nice suit.

Thanks for the photo scott, for the commentary, the book and having the ability to see past just the clothes. Someone asked me what I liked so much about your blog as a pose to everyone else's... I guess its simply because you are not about fashion in the sense of the word, it is about style , and every individual person developing and expressing their own style instead of blindly following trends.

There is a difference, thanks for helping me realise that =D

 

Blogger jennifleur said ... (3:31 AM) : 

fine line between fashion and style... i love these pictures of the "un-expected" the most. thanks.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:38 AM) : 

I think this man, your driver, deserves to be named.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:10 AM) : 

Great!! I love this picture and your message about!
Thank you very much for your vision of life.
I love to talk about style thousand times before to talk about "fashion".

 

Blogger MayKay said ... (5:40 AM) : 

Thank you.Both the picture and your comment are heart warming.

 

Anonymous Gianni3000 said ... (6:38 AM) : 

This made my day! Grazie.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:53 AM) : 

Fantastic, Scott! I mean fantastic post, fantastic pic, fantastic man that this driver is. And fantastic answer to the PCP. Amitiés du sud de la France! Chantal

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:20 AM) : 

Total class! One of your best yet!!

 

Anonymous Vanessa said ... (7:24 AM) : 

This is fantastic! Mr Satorialist, I love the lenses through which you view the world!

 

Blogger R. said ... (7:25 AM) : 

He is pretty suave but you were a smidgen patronising.
The fact that he is a driver doesn't mean he has a personal sound track which consists of 'It's a Hard-Knock Life'......

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:36 AM) : 

He is "ol skool". Pride in your clothing before leaving the house. I grew up on this sentiment and it stays with me to this very day. Love him, you & the blog.........

 

Blogger RayRay1234 said ... (8:48 AM) : 

I, too, found the commentary on the photo patronizing and demeaning. The word "pride" was used to describe him 3 times! As if the assumption is that, because he's a driver, he probably wouldn't have any. I think it's easy to romanticize this man and his "position" in life. It's almost like saying "good for him! he not only takes a beating, but smiles while doing so! Good boy!"

I also find it troubling that the only comment the Sart bothered to reply to was Stephanie's, the only person who had the guts to eloquently disagree with the masses, and Sart himself.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:49 AM) : 

I love older men that exude that old school elegance like this gentleman, as to the comment he knew the way and the car was spotless, I can totally relate, I used to ride with private drivers in sedans all the time, and when you found one with someone who was polite, professional, knew the way and had a clean car...it was wonderful, love your blog Scott, so glad I found it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:00 AM) : 

Amen and Thank you. Love the man!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:22 AM) : 

I agree so much with your last paragraph. Maybe that's why I try not to leave the house without some thought as to what I have on and if I've put on my make-up and combed my hair. It is pride and self-worth, but it's also my armour against whatever I might encounter out there.

 

Anonymous John M. Doyle said ... (9:30 AM) : 

For those who think that clothing doesn't matter, and that it is not a topic laden with meaning and seriousness, I would suggest that they read the many responses that this photo and the accompanying text have generated. What we wear generates a "language" that is more notoriously subject to interpretation and misinterpretation than the words we use to communicate with one another. Whether we like it or not, we human beings do live in visually oriented cultures, which means that there will always be something to fascinate, confound, delight or anger us when we gaze upon clothing. And yet, could we (as postmodern individuals living in Western culture) ever imagine living in a world where clothing did not exist?

 

Blogger 吳宥鋅-ZN said ... (9:36 AM) : 

Nice photo,nice article!

 

Blogger Christina said ... (10:26 AM) : 

Perfectly stated, Scott. I couldn't agree with you more.

fridayswithcilantro.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Esque said ... (10:40 AM) : 

I agree entirely with Anonymous @ 1:50 - the gentleman looks incredible - but the post, along with a number of these comments, reeks of condescension.

 

Anonymous all-in-the-silhouette said ... (10:41 AM) : 

I was also surprised by your commentary for the reasons stated above. And your "dressing-down" (heh) of Stephanie was over the top.

The photo and the gentleman. are lovely...period.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:51 AM) : 

wow i follow your blog everyday BUT this time i had to comment. this man exudes confidence, style and pride in his work. this has been one of my fav pics. i love reading your comment aon him and i think you described him well. I LUV IT! bellisimo! Bravo Scott:)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:52 AM) : 

I agree with those like Stephanie who thought some of the commentary on this post was problematic. This line was the one that bothered me: "I love people who show pride in their work, regardless of the job." The subtext here is: I love people who show pride in their work, *in spite of* the job.

This man deserves better treatment.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:10 AM) : 

I totally agree.

He looks clean, and he looks proud of his job!

Cheers to him and cheers to you for this photo. It brings me inspiration to be like him. To be proud of what I do no matter what I do.

Thanks for sharing!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:16 AM) : 

Stephanie, your point of view was very well stated and I totally agree with you. I wish I had the guts to say it myself. There are probably plenty of us who do agree with you, but are afraid to say so for fear of the harsh replies.

 

Blogger Ammu said ... (11:24 AM) : 

Lovely picture - and so well-observed. Such a good portrait.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:41 AM) : 

Love your comment!

- From Denmark.

 

Anonymous Jessica Yeo said ... (11:57 AM) : 

Fantastic photo, it just shines in black-and-white. And he does have great style, you don't have to be someone rich or someone who hangs onto the latest trends in order to look good.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (11:58 AM) : 

stephanie
yes an open , respectful, discussion is nice. maybe we were a bit harsh on each other.

My bad, scott

 

Blogger Nika said ... (12:02 PM) : 

Great Post and commentary.

I don't see the reason why ppl. are getting into a whole big hoopla about what Scott wrote.

The beauty of this picture is that the gentleman possesses the sort of old school traditional pride and dignity that is hard to find today. This man has true style. Unfortunately overtime the definition of style has been perverted to mean "wearing expensive garb". What is style?

The photo tells us what it is, it's individuality, confidence, elegance, pride. It's a gateway to allow the real self to shine through. Style isn't simply about the ability to afford expensive things or follow trends. It isn't limited to a certain class of people or profession. It just is, and some people have it. Regardless of what they do or how much they make. This man leads me to think that it's an innate quality.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:02 PM) : 

You have got to be kidding me. So let me get this straight if I had to comment the following: "I love people who show pride in their work, regardless of the job" about a smiling construction worker shown holding a hammer and wearing a tuxedo or a smiling waiter with crisp white shirt and bow tie, then I would be condescending toward both construction worker and waiter according to most of you. It's insanity.

To those that hold no internal malice or toxicity toward fellow human beings it is easy to understand that a driver, these slovenly days, is seldom seen in such stylish clothing. And when such rare occurrences present before us we tend to admire the person and the clothing which in turn is reflective of work attitude and self-esteem. When was the last time any of you saw a driver or a taxi driver wearing a shirt and tie let alone a suit? "Regardless of the job" to me means that it is unusual to see a driver in such clothing just as it is unusual to see a waiter in a bow tie; it means that the gentleman could be anything; it means that the job is irrelevant.

How come no such sensitivities were aired regarding Scott's "Waiter at Caffe Florian, Venice" (Sat July 11 2009)? He was well dressed yet a lowly waiter.

I'll tell you why, my friends. Had the driver been a White man no one would have accused Scott of being insensitive. I find this hyper sensitivity extremely disconcerting.

Pietro

 

Anonymous luarosa said ... (12:10 PM) : 

Three things I love the most are in this picture:
*happy shiny smile
*black and white photos
*how you work the depth of field


loved it!

 

Blogger chula said ... (12:14 PM) : 

I am not english speaker but I think that I could understand what Scott wants to say in the post about "pride"...
my father was pilot- in fact the same kind of job as the driver, you bring people from one place to another - and he had the same attitude of this man on the picture wearing his uniform every single day ..even if you wear all the days of your working life and it could be like boring for msot of the people if you have the right idea of respect to your profesion could be very elegant...
I think the picture and the text talk about this.. not any race or clss issue;-)
for artist or freelance- like me- takes a time to understand this charming with your working clothes;-)

great picture scott
diego
www.chula.es

 

Anonymous danielnolan said ... (12:36 PM) : 

Please! Its a wonderful photo, in fact, it's so good I went back to look at it after seeing the predictably boring group at the SF signing. Unlike many of those who spent the week picking out an outfit that might impress the author, this man was just doing his job and outdid everyone without trying. I think style and manners are a similiar animal, real style comes out when you think no one is watching.

 

Anonymous Natalia said ... (12:36 PM) : 

I think my posting was lost somehow but I was basically trying to say something along the same lines as Stephanie. Although I love your blog, this particular one made me think a little more .... I think the fact that a statement was made about the driver having pride in his job makes it seem like a surprise .... which then simply undermines his job. The photo should be about how great he looks, period, and not about how great he looks 'regardless of the job'. The word 'regardless' is what is bothersome.

 

Anonymous stefica said ... (1:15 PM) : 

sart,
i don't think your blog is about fashion (which is ephemeral)--it is about style (which is permanent and has little to do with fashion).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:32 PM) : 

This is one of the best ideas you have write in your blog...

 

Anonymous CG said ... (1:58 PM) : 

"How come no such sensitivities were aired regarding Scott's "Waiter at Caffe Florian, Venice" (Sat July 11 2009)? He was well dressed yet a lowly waiter."

Pietro,

Is it really surprising that people are sensitive to the uses of language, especially here where Mr. Schuman uses it in such limited fashion?

The difference between the San Francisco driver commentary and that published with the Cafe Florian waiter is the subject. There is no effort, in the latter, to address the nature of the work represented by the "uniform" (in terms of hierarchy or other) or, and more critically here, to delve the mind of the person photographed.

I think the phrase "lowly waiter"--however you intended--captures precisely the concerns voiced by a small percentage of ardent followers of the Sartorialist blog.

I find it to be one of the more interesting conversations to date and am grateful that it has been published as fully as it has.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:26 PM) : 

i couldn't agree more!
world would be a far better place if more ppl could and would take care of there looks!

"I love people who show pride in their work, regardless of the job."
so true. This blog is a part of my education!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:33 PM) : 

Well written, sir! And of course, you being one who can appreciate this gentleman and express as much, is much the same. I am inspired.

 

Blogger F said ... (3:22 PM) : 

Now that is one classy cat.

 

Blogger i-Observer said ... (3:24 PM) : 

Wonderful post! It is truly very inspiring and majority of us are indeed inspired!!! Well done my man! Well done!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:58 PM) : 

It's all in the attitude, charm and experience. Something we've lost with the acceptance of jeans as our standard uniform. Maybe we should re-introduce formality in the work place.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:52 PM) : 

such elegance what an elegant man. luv this pic one of my favorites.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:52 PM) : 

CG 1:58 PM "I find it to be one of the more interesting conversations to date and am grateful that it has been published as fully as it has."

Agreed and agreed. It makes for far more interesting reading than the standard "Pull it off" commentary.

See, I was a construction worker throughout my 20s yet outside of sites I was always wearing the finest Italian suits - regardless of my job. Even on site I ensured that my clothing stood out from fellow workers. Innumerable times people would comment that I was "too good to be a construction worker" even though I was making more money than they were. Did I take offence? No chance. I knew it was a compliment about my self esteem and pride for myself and my work rather than social standing.

People tend to latch meaning onto innocent words due to their own personal sensitivities or the sensitivities imposed by a society which wishes for us all to be automatons. We are all very different and unique beings, each brilliant and diverse in our own right. Castigate those that do not recognise your individuality and differences rather than those who bring those differences to your attention.

But in any case, my friends, for the record, I never frown.

Pace e salute.

Pietro

 

Blogger Thomas said ... (7:59 PM) : 

amen.

 

Blogger TheHypeAround... said ... (9:03 PM) : 

This man is pure style. Love the old school tie clip! reminds me of my father

 

Blogger GFS said ... (9:36 PM) : 

Well, first I was just going to comment on the pic...the fact that I loved it. Then for some reason I was nosey and saw that The Sart actually replied to comments so of course I had to scroll all the way up and find the initial comment.

So after I read the bru-ha-ha...I just want to say...FABULOUS PICTURE and he is FLY! (in a great way:)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:22 PM) : 

Scott, this is just beautiful.

 

Blogger Diana Brito said ... (10:26 PM) : 

So glad you were able to get a shot of a well dressed San Franciscan. Someone who exudes confidence and style. This man has it...style, self assurance and that twinkle in his eye. He is oh so very S-A-R-T-O-R-I-A-L-I-S-T. Thank you Scott for coming to SF, really disappointed to have missed your book signing. Your work is inspiring.

Di from San Francisco

 

Blogger JV said ... (10:56 PM) : 

I sort of cringed at this post, as well. I have read your blog since practically the beginning, and love it and your writing and photos. But this one came off as condescending, as a few others have mentioned. And that very well may be all on me, but that was my honest and immediate reaction upon reading it. That feeling continued for me with the many comment positively gushing over this man's attire (a few of you mentioned you got tears in your eyes!), which, while sharp, isn't any different from a thousand other people in suits. Pretty standard attire, if you ask me, although he definitely exudes a nice vibe.

 

Blogger Tanya Marie - Designer Girl. said ... (11:03 PM) : 

I've never saw fashion and clothes the way you look at it. You make me not just be awed by the clothes but the beautiful shots of the people you capture is often so captivating!
You are my weekly inspiration :)

 

Anonymous AnonymousJK said ... (12:01 AM) : 

I LOVE HIM! HE'S SIMPLY DELISH!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting