This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street....One More Time, Milano

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, September 28, 2009

On the Street....One More Time, Milano


About two years ago on a very misty, lazy Sunday morning in Milan I ran across this gentleman as he prepared for his Sunday bike ride. He was dressed so elegantly for a Sunday ride, but I guess I should expect that from Milanese by now. Our conversation was very brief and I forgot to get any of his contact information. I was very happy with the shot, but thought I would never run across him again.

Well, as I was shooting around the Versace show I see just the floating head of this gentleman glide by (his body and bike were hidden by a car). Traffic was heavy so as he slowed to navigate the cars and fashionistas I caught up to him and asked to take his photo. I was surprised when he instantly recognized me, "Yeah, you are The Sartorialist!, Cunningham!"
That Bill casts a long shadow.

This time I got his info, so hopefully we will be seeing more of Mr. Alborghetti on future Milan trips.

Comments on "On the Street....One More Time, Milano"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:10 AM) : 

I love his hairstyle and glasses. He really looks like a gentleman, so relaxed and interesting!

 

Blogger sofiasophie said ... (8:22 AM) : 

indeed, he looks like a gentleman, and I like the detail of the little chain.......

but is really a sunday ride and nothing else? I mean, maybe he has a rendez-vous or something no?

 

Blogger Chelsea said ... (8:23 AM) : 

i love it how the italian men are just as attentive to their image and style as the women. a true italian man. reminds me of my grandfather.

un vero uomo italiano.

http://www.thefashiondirectories.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous The Photodiarist said ... (8:26 AM) : 

Great photo, Scott. And even better story!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:30 AM) : 

I love this sort of stories! More stories, more photographs of mr. Alborghetti!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:31 AM) : 

the best way to ride a bike

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:35 AM) : 

I am so proud of my compatriots. Nothing but praise and admiration from all. I am glad that you are being welcomed by Italians, Scott, and that they are appreciative of someone that obviously admires the Italian way of life.

I love those tassels and have several pairs of such shoes. I do hope that in 25 or so years I will be as elegant and carefree as the gentleman, with a cigar between my teeth and winking at all the ladies on my Sunday bicycle ride.

Pietro

 

Blogger Molly said ... (8:39 AM) : 

what a great story! thanks for sharing!

 

Anonymous Bibi in wonderland said ... (8:42 AM) : 

LOVE LOVE LOVE your portraits of people riding bikes :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:44 AM) : 

Amazing picture, glad you came across him again!

 

Blogger Madeline Veenstra said ... (8:45 AM) : 

Gorgeous colors, I love the jacket :)

 

Blogger ingefaer said ... (8:51 AM) : 

that is too funny......but then again, he must obviously see equal importance in your work - as do I.
He is quite elegant this gentleman; love the khaki and blue

 

Blogger M said ... (8:51 AM) : 

A typical distinguished European gentleman. The kind of person you would like to sit down and have an espresso with.

 

Blogger joshylola said ... (8:52 AM) : 

Very elegant style, I love navy blue blazer

 

Blogger Darcy said ... (8:55 AM) : 

I hope this is my future.

 

Blogger alice said ... (8:56 AM) : 

I love the fact that you keep finding stylish older men, but I would like to see more older women too.

I don't know if they are just harder to find, but seeing them is inspiring and an example on how to grow old with great style.

 

Anonymous Star said ... (9:03 AM) : 

I also like his style very much. Blue really is a classic colour. Combined with that old-fashioned bike (look at that large bicyle bell) it looks great. Great article by the way it really shows that Milan indeed is the city of people that like fashion. By the way the gentleman looks like the actor playing in The Saint (the movie).

 

Blogger meraldia said ... (9:07 AM) : 

He looks very classy!

 

Anonymous Rousspétée said ... (9:10 AM) : 

I sometimes wish I were a man to be able to gorw such a perfect white beard some day ...

 

Blogger RECIEN LLEGADA said ... (9:11 AM) : 

Cool and relaxed blue¡¡¡
Old beauty is perfect¡¡¡
Kisses from Spain
DELIA

 

Anonymous rose said ... (9:14 AM) : 

Beautiful man, elegant, cool and he's got something in the eyes...malicious ?
Beautiful light...La Dolce Vita !
Merci monsieur Schuman !
Rose

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:22 AM) : 

perfect khakis and shoe combo

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:24 AM) : 

I especially like his vivid blue jacket. Also that his socks and shoes are in the same hue, or is he barefoot?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:26 AM) : 

what did he mean by "cunningham"??

He looks fantastic! this outfit can suit anyone of any age... timeless!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:26 AM) : 

Great blue shades..besides, this is done...I purchased your book at Colette...

Many friends of mine ignoring your work (yeah some people still do not know you...it is a shame, I know ^^) found it amazing...

 

Blogger Pearl Westwood said ... (9:28 AM) : 

Blue and tan seem a popular colour for men lately, I adore his beard and mustache!
Pearl

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:31 AM) : 

I want this outfit. That is amazing. So simple and so elegant. Classic but still forward. It's a blue blazer but it's not "really" a blue blazer, if that makes any sense. This is just great. His hair style and color really pull everything together.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:36 AM) : 

just perfect!
he looks like a gentleman!
love it!

 

Blogger Markmont said ... (9:47 AM) : 

Great beard and mustache. Adds a lot of character.

 

Anonymous James Louis said ... (9:48 AM) : 

Personally I can't not wear socks without destroying my shoes with funky odors. I'm Italian, but I don't know how these Milanese do it. You should do a post/poll about how to avoid foot odor when going commando with shoes. Great photo!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:48 AM) : 

Oh, he's just brilliant. That's what my husband shall (one day) look like. I'm determined.

 

Blogger Jamie Jonathan Ball said ... (9:51 AM) : 

a great story of coincidence with this rather dapper gentleman! (love the book btw)

Jbx

 

Anonymous Holly said ... (10:02 AM) : 

I'm not surprised with your keen eye that you conected with him again! What a prize subject you have found!!!

 

Blogger Lucas Jones said ... (10:04 AM) : 

Cunningham?

 

Blogger FASHION SNAG said ... (10:12 AM) : 

He is a gentleman =) I thought I recognized him!

www.fashionsnag.com

 

Anonymous jba said ... (10:15 AM) : 

This is a stylish Italian man, and it's interesting that many of his pieces are American trad/ivy: the tassel loafers, the 3/2 roll of his jacket, the tapered khakis. Very well done.

 

Anonymous jba said ... (10:17 AM) : 

This is a stylish Italian man, and many of his pieces are classic American trad/ivy: the tassel loafers, 3/2 roll of his jacket, the tapered khakis. Very well done.

 

Anonymous fatou said ... (10:28 AM) : 

I am amazed noone knows Bill Cunningham, the original street fashion photograher of NYT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Cunningham_(photographer)

nice story, Scott

 

Blogger Catherine Blair Pfander said ... (10:37 AM) : 

The moustache and pipe really bring this one home!

http://howtoaskartists.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Stephanie said ... (10:55 AM) : 

I enjoyed the story; it makes me fall in love with your life a little bit more

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:05 AM) : 

thanks for the story. great! he's another beautiful well put together italian man.

 

Anonymous Christopher said ... (11:32 AM) : 

I love the way this guy combines a classical look with a modern fit!

 

Blogger DENNI said ... (11:34 AM) : 

LOVIN IT! HE´S SO GREAT!








XX
CHICMUSE

 

Anonymous davidsl said ... (11:34 AM) : 

mr. alborghetti is a style inspiration for me! impecable.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:35 AM) : 

James Louis-try Dr. Scholl's inserts...... Cool looking guy!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:45 AM) : 

Don't sweat it; there's only one Scott Schuman!

 

Anonymous beccaniles said ... (11:56 AM) : 

were i a man, i would look like this in about 45 years.
or so says my friend.
i desperately want to meet him.

 

Blogger Hadley Makes said ... (12:09 PM) : 

There aren't words... Just stellar.

 

Blogger ingefaer said ... (12:13 PM) : 

that's Bill Cunningham, street fashion photographer for The NY Times for many years

 

Blogger Jennifer said ... (12:21 PM) : 

He is beautiful.
Great story...funny about the Bill Cunningham comment :)

 

Anonymous Mea said ... (12:30 PM) : 

Sooo Milanese... Perfect style. And the bike just fits perfectly, it is a sort of accessory, isn't it? I'm so glad you like Italy. Have you ever been in Turin? It's also great city for fashion, although we're more common. Creativity is from Milan.

 

Blogger hi-d said ... (12:32 PM) : 

What a cool story! He looks like a kind man...

 

Blogger Gary K. said ... (12:47 PM) : 

I wear blue and tan like this a lot. I even do the big-blue-stripe and khakis. Unfortunately I can't match that fantastic beard.

 

Blogger Paige said ... (1:18 PM) : 

Oh how I love Milano.

 

Anonymous all-in-the-silhouette said ... (1:42 PM) : 

What a gorgeous man!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:15 PM) : 

This Charming man...

 

Anonymous Alessandro said ... (2:42 PM) : 

I remember the previous photo of Signor Alberghetti; a true gentleman, his clothes merely enhance what I'm guessing is a very pleasant and interesting personality. What's more he looks like Giuseppe Verdi; perhaps you took this picture near La Scala?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:48 PM) : 

He is my neighbor! I am so amazed that he is ALWAYS so elegant, i never saw him going out without his bike or dressed careless! Incredible gentleman really!

 

Anonymous eHABERDASHER.com said ... (3:00 PM) : 

Some looks just don't go out of style...

_________________________
www.eHABERDASHER.com

 

Anonymous ina said ... (3:02 PM) : 

This gentleman is stunning!
My favorite photo lately!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:35 PM) : 

So funny, where are the no-socks-complaints now?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:15 PM) : 

He's beautiful. Love the outfit ;)

 

Blogger S.Dare said ... (4:24 PM) : 

Ah, beautiful, class.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:38 PM) : 

I wish to one day look like that... I don't know how to ride a bike but I will try to look just like this when walking...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:14 PM) : 

Now this is an elegant and stylish man.
I.m so glad he's wearing some kind of socks and has not the pants rolled up.

 

Blogger May said ... (6:46 PM) : 

Thank you so much for this picture! You have just reminded me of beautif sunday bike rides with my dad. He used to dress up just like this gentleman making those rides a very picturesque memory indeed!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:53 PM) : 

Perfect with socks and Algibeira(the whatchin his pocket,i love details...he is just:"so nice to see"...

 

Blogger Forest City Fashionista said ... (7:43 PM) : 

He looks so put-together and elegant; even his beard is carefully groomed. I don't usually go for older men, but he would definitely turn my head!

 

Anonymous victoria karkoulas said ... (8:24 PM) : 

one of my favourites already-- i love the blue and caramel combination as well as the cigar and neatly trimmed beard. i always love your bicycle shots as cyclists in sydney are never well dress and usually always in spandex and a helmet & are always in the way on the road...these bicycle riders stop traffic for the right reasons.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:07 PM) : 

What shade of blue would this be considered so i can find it in a suit! Thanks.

 

Blogger beths said ... (10:30 PM) : 

Wonderful story, well-told. Milano for me in 2010!

 

Blogger Kismine said ... (10:39 PM) : 

What a lovely story, he does appear like one who holds himself wonderfully. Nice, Scott!

 

Blogger Jane said ... (10:55 PM) : 

Yum.

 

Blogger Flike said ... (11:04 PM) : 

he's so sexy!!!!!

 

Blogger Joy Mars said ... (3:02 AM) : 

Wow! A star is born!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:10 AM) : 

Wonderful photo and a very elegant gentleman. Of course, only in Italy do people smoke whilst riding a bicycle! :-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:00 AM) : 

I don't know why some readers are of the opinion that all under the sun should know who Bill Cunningham is. Mr Cunningham photographs for the NYT, if I'm to understand correctly. I have never seen a copy of the NYT. I have never seen his work. I have never been to America.

Having a photo plastered on a newspaper, or a fashion magazine, for that matter, limits circulation of that photograph. Stamp your photograph on the net and it's worldwide hence the reason I know who the Sartorialist as opposed to Mr Cunningham.

Goddamn, I had to google Mr Cunningham and I still can't see the resemblance between Mr Cunningham of NYT and the gent on the bike with cigar.

Pietro

 

Blogger Teresa @ good-grace said ... (11:00 AM) : 

oh gosh!! Love this story of serendipity... and the gentleman is insanely handsome. (I've always had "a thing" for older men...) Good for you for tracking him down through the traffic!!

 

Anonymous Lizette said ... (11:29 AM) : 

Great story...I love these photos where the person has so much character and personality.

 

Blogger Tim McFarlane said ... (11:35 AM) : 

He's got it going on! I can only hope to be so stylish when I get to be however old he is.

 

Anonymous Nick said ... (11:38 AM) : 

This may be my favorite picture ever featured on this blog. Not only are you showcaseing a stylish outfit, but you seemingly captured something about his personality (of course, I say this without knowning him)all wrapped up in an artfully framed photgraph. Bravo!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:01 PM) : 

In the picture of this quintessential gentleman, You just cast the exact point of what it's all about: style with no apparent effort. He's civilized in a natural way. I will print the picture and hang it on my closet to keep that point in mind.

 

Blogger J.Teheren said ... (4:28 PM) : 

The spectacles and beard are masterful. Perhaps even more intriguing are the wallet chain and bicycle. Genius!!!

 

Blogger J.Teheren said ... (4:29 PM) : 

Or is it a pocket watch?

 

Anonymous Taj said ... (5:35 PM) : 

brilliant...

just brilliant

 

Blogger The Fabulous Spinster said ... (7:37 PM) : 

he really pulls off that white hair. the blazer is so bright, but he tones it down with the rest of the outfit.
work it, mr. man.

 

Blogger tiramisuk said ... (7:53 PM) : 

I came across him a couple of times at supermarket. If my memory is right, it was Pam.

 

Blogger kahartland said ... (9:15 PM) : 

he's so distinguished, yet riding a bike seems like such a peasant thing to do!

www.getobsessed.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:18 PM) : 

Ah, quelles couleurs! Quelle moustache!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:35 PM) : 

now that's a nice 'intelectuale borghese', if that is how you write it, anyways he is probably a good cook too....L'uomo perfetto...

 

Blogger kiwibella said ... (11:24 PM) : 

Oh what a handsome man! His silver hair, blue blazer (could we describe it as French Navy blue perhaps?) his beard trimmed so beautifully to suit the shape of his face, his trim and healthy figure from cycling everywhere!

It has been a delight to be introduced to this stylish gentleman. Thank you for sharing, Sart.

 

Blogger andrea.at.the.blue.door said ... (12:29 AM) : 

That is a laugh-out-loud wonderful story, Bill, er, Scott!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:41 AM) : 

i want to have a grandpa as awesome as this man.

 

Blogger Fredde Ahlstrom said ... (9:51 AM) : 

Sunday Feb 25 -07 On the Street - Corso Magenta, Milan:

"There is just something about these Milanese gentleman and their bikes that brings the Sartorialist out in them.

The whole Gentleman Farmer look is fantastic.

The beautiful honey colored gloves really finish off the look perfectly"
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qjpwnPW4c1o/ReFsRadWuII/AAAAAAAAATs/Dv1TtQYDlrA/s1600-h/BikeMagenta.jpg

 

Blogger alastair said ... (4:13 PM) : 

If I had a printer I would not be typing this comment and this picture would already be up on my wall. The least I can do for now is save it for future reference!

Honestly, one of my favourite photos of yours. The whole look is so relaxed yet perfect. My only hope is that my beard turns as beautifully white as his and that I will be bold enough at his age to have the second button of my shirt undone!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:15 PM) : 

In this man I recognize all the "Italian style". Is the first time I think about it...a blue jacket,light trousers,mocassins:so easy,so elegant!I'm proud.
sorry for my english...I'm Italian!

 

Blogger LaTanya B. said ... (11:44 AM) : 

I love that blue color with brown. I think it is such a good look for fall.

 

Anonymous ROXY MARJ said ... (11:51 AM) : 

ooooh...and favorite #2
eeek. lots of comments on my part <>

 

Anonymous caroline austerman said ... (5:55 PM) : 

I love the one in Central Park! Great Pictures!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:09 PM) : 

Splendid. A lesson in simplicity, colour coordination and detail. More photos like these please.

M.Sinclair III

 

Anonymous workerbee76 said ... (5:54 PM) : 

He is so put together, that I actually had a sensation of jealousy when I saw this picture...

 

Anonymous Invincible said ... (3:48 AM) : 

as like my grandpa.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:31 AM) : 

So handsome and sharp, but with a very distinctive look overall--Milanese perfection!

 

Blogger Lightning said ... (10:44 AM) : 

For me, it all would be ordinary without the beautiful facial hair....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:44 PM) : 

In Bill Cunningham's wiki photo he looks way old. In your wiki photo, you look way hot. Obviously Mr. Alborghetti does not have internet access.

 

Blogger Dácil Granados said ... (6:26 AM) : 

INTERESANTE!

 

Anonymous lionel said ... (7:05 AM) : 

nice post. loved his cycle..
Here in India we see a lot of such people..

 

Anonymous error fix said ... (6:49 PM) : 

I do hope that in 25 or so years I will be as elegant and carefree as the gentleman, with a cigar between my teeth and winking at all the ladies on my Sunday bicycle ride.

 

Anonymous Rux said ... (4:50 PM) : 

Wow, this is a really leading actor on your blog. I totally love your pics and stories about him.

I am so addicted to your blog now. I discovered it through other blog yesterday and I cannot stop watching your art. Magnifique!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:51 AM) : 

I have glasses as well, but whenever I need new frames I always pick ones that match my favorite haircut. For example, if u saw a lady on the street with a wicked haircut, then just ask your hairdresser to do it like that the day before u get new frames. Keep that hairstyle for as long as u has those frames, and then change it when u gets more. It gives u a variation, but a steady change. Hope this helps!

Regards!
Term Papers

 

Anonymous Term Papers said ... (12:06 AM) : 

This is a good information to get know about the One More Time, Milano, I think that the information has good to read and this is good to have some thing like this.

 

Anonymous Essay said ... (7:51 AM) : 

Basically fashion is a means of self-expression that allows people to try on many roles in life. Whether you prefer hip-hop or Chanel-chic, fashion accommodates the chameleon in all of us.

 

Anonymous steven said ... (1:47 AM) : 

I love reading your blog because it has very interesting topics.

 

Anonymous Tej kohli said ... (5:48 AM) : 

I think you are enjoying much of your life
Tej Kohli

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting