This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

The Influencers - A House Is Not A Home, Bruce Weber

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, September 02, 2009

The Influencers - A House Is Not A Home, Bruce Weber

I have always said I am a big Bruce Weber fan. Not as much for his typical A&F work, but for his more personal character studies like his book A House is Not A Home.

The book really woke me up to the idea of how the things that fill your life can say as much about you as you ever could with words.

What he was able to say with a chair, I say with a pocket square.

Comments on "The Influencers - A House Is Not A Home, Bruce Weber"

 

Blogger Jillian Hobbs said ... (9:17 AM) : 

Interesting, I've never seen this book or heard of it either... is that bad? I feel like I have to read it now though! Thank you for sharing!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:24 AM) : 

Jillian, its a Bruce Webber book not Shakespeare.
Its ok not to have heard about it...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:32 AM) : 

Yes one invisible twin reveals our real soul ! Sunny

 

Blogger diane said ... (9:52 AM) : 

Scott, you really hit on something here. I always warn people about my humble home if they are visiting for the first time. But what I always hear from them is how colorful, warm, and welcoming my house is. There is a lot of love here, and it shows, even if there is not a lot of money.
God, I really loved this post. :)

 

Blogger m. said ... (10:41 AM) : 

Ahh, I read this book!
I absolutely adore this kind of photography and this style of his.

Peaple, buy this book! You will love it!

greetings from Berlin

 

Blogger Well Done said ... (11:07 AM) : 

exactly!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:17 AM) : 

i may be alone in this, but i love the photos Webber recently did for Moncler. i loved that he just had fun with it and did what he wanted to do and what he is known for. the photos of his dogs in Moncler jackets is wonderful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:40 AM) : 

"What he was able to say with a chair, I say with a pocket square" - a perfectly crystalized point of view, but I still cant' get over my feeling of let down upon entering a fashionable and well presented person's flat and finding it boring and unexpressive. It's like, to me, exposing a dilettante behind a masquerade. It would due for me to remember that some people express themselves with interiors and outfits, some just outfits, and some with neither. - Ben

 

Blogger BB said ... (1:16 PM) : 

I couldn't agree more.

Being someone that adores all things fashion and finding that I'm always defending its so-called "frivolity," you said it simply, yet perfectly.

Personal style is just another way of introducing the world to who you are.

Thank you for stating it ever so eloquently.

http://www.bargainbex.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:58 PM) : 

Chair, square. So you are into poetry as well. What next?

 

Blogger JustNorman said ... (4:53 PM) : 

not my type but very well his own.

http://www.justnorman.blogspot.com/
the blog that no one knows about

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:35 PM) : 

Mr. Schuman~~a pocket square demands a vintage watch, don't you agree?

That aside, you make the point brilliantly in this post~~well done.

M

 

Blogger P.Gaye Tapp at Little Augury said ... (11:54 PM) : 

We all have our vehicles. Yours-You have mastered brilliantly. la

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:16 AM) : 

anon @ 11.40 am....couldn't agree more....very insightful...S

 

Blogger (IN)DECOROUS TASTE said ... (11:49 AM) : 

I wholeheartedly agree. As someone who is very much attached and extremely passionate about her objects, art, and style, I always find it depressing when people dismiss personal style as a silly frivolity!!

For me, personal style is all about character, getting a glimpse of the person behind the objects. That's what makes it interesting, and a good part of why I like this blog so much- you really capture a sense of the personality behind the people you shoot.

Great post, well said.

Lauren
http://indecoroustaste.com/
(A blog about eccentricities, character, and style, mostly in the home.)

 

Blogger chula said ... (12:11 PM) : 

... interesting, Sander was obvious influence but I never though that you have a big influence from Bruce weber in your pictures..
I always related your work with more classical photo journalist... a kind of fashionist weegee;-)

Anyway congratulations from the book.. I hope to find some day in hanoi bookstores

www.photosdiegoblog.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:39 PM) : 

i totally agree that a house is not a home. interior styling and styling (as clothes and accessories) say exactly the same about us, with the difference that the first is more private and the second more public... it's just a matter of scale.

 

Anonymous Hollander said ... (3:00 PM) : 

Dear sir, blogger, I am extremely
proud to be in the possession of this , indeed wonderful, book, now that it has this high ranking status. I always wished I could have rooms like the ones they show in this book, with all the bric-a-brac.

 

Blogger Disneyrollergirl.net said ... (5:34 PM) : 

"What he was able to say with a chair, I say with a pocket square." Perfectly put. I Love Bruce Weber as well - have a fab time at Colette!

 

Anonymous yvettemadelaine said ... (8:13 AM) : 

I've never heard of this book, but I've often thought about how the objects we choose to surround ourselves with say so much about us. I have a few objects of my dad's that just embody my childhood and him soooo strongly. Thanks for sharing, I will have to have a hunt for this one :)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:20 PM) : 

Wow. That is really something to think about. How the things in our lives speak volumes about us. Wow.

 

Blogger Enila Mai said ... (9:33 AM) : 

...and also the things that are NOT in your life...can tell a great deala about the self...

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting