This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street....New York Bike, NYC

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

On the Street....New York Bike, NYC




Maybe it is all of the new bike lanes (thanks Mayor Bloomberg), but New Yorkers have fallen in love with their bikes again. What I am proud of is that like any real style capital New Yorkers are doing it their way - sporty, sexy, and built for speed.

Just look at the difference between these New York ladies I shot yesterday and the young ladies Garance shot recently in Amsterdam. I'm not saying one is better than the other, but it is great that something like this can be so reflective of a cultures taste and aesthetics.

Comments on "On the Street....New York Bike, NYC"

 

Blogger James Taylor said ... (10:09 AM) : 

I like girl number two please.

 

Blogger The World is My Home said ... (10:10 AM) : 

Amazing pictures!! (as always) =)

 

Anonymous STYLE SCANNER said ... (10:12 AM) : 

*
Love those 'fire engine red' patent jazz shoes!

 

Blogger kahartland said ... (10:13 AM) : 

my god i love it!! every single one is perfect and amazing!! ra-ra!

www.getobsessed.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:14 AM) : 

Amen to that! I thought Europe is the only place you could see beautiful fashion riding a bike. Fantastic pictures!

 

Blogger pink avenue said ... (10:16 AM) : 

great bikes and beautiful (and original) outfits, especially the top photo

http://onpinkavenue.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous vavavinny said ... (10:17 AM) : 

I second that Style Scanner! Girl numbr 3, despite looking like an American Apparel model, rocks those patent salmon shoes!

 

Anonymous anissa said ... (10:18 AM) : 

i love all the yellow in the first one :)

 

Blogger The Glamorous Housewife said ... (10:21 AM) : 

I adore the first dress, especially with the yellow bike! Perfection.

Thanks doll,
The Glamorous Housewife

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:21 AM) : 

i love number ones dress! the detail is delicious
number twos style is impecable, and her bag!
but riding in heels? now that's impressive

 

Blogger ana said ... (10:23 AM) : 

I love the yellow bike!!!! and the white dress is soo pretty

 

Blogger I'm a mean street kid. said ... (10:25 AM) : 

wish i could bike around NYC as well

 

Blogger S. C. said ... (10:29 AM) : 

I saw the most beautiful bike with a leather seat and leather handlebars on Nantucket this week. these pictures are great:)

 

Blogger Jorge from W Palm Beach said ... (10:40 AM) : 

I like the shoes on the first picture, and the blouse on the second woman. My favorite overall is the third one, there seems to be better construction on her dress, and more leg is very good in this instance. Also the sharp color contrast between the dress and the shoes. The fact that colors do not touch avoid the eye-popping blue-right-against-orange. I wish we could see the back but it looks like a basic black leather tote. Always good in my book!
Jorge from WPB

 

Blogger Dorkys Ramos said ... (10:41 AM) : 

The first one looks so cute, but I'd be terrified of my skirt getting caught in the wheels!

The second girl looks very cool.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:43 AM) : 

Love the young lady on the yellow bike, what a cute dress.

 

Anonymous style odyssey said ... (10:49 AM) : 

just look at those pops of color, so yummy and fresh!
such happy, carefree images. this makes me want to get a bike again.

 

Blogger miss sophie said ... (10:49 AM) : 

the girl in the first photo is wearing a ko.des convertible bag! i have the same on in burgundy leather. LOVE it and have gotten so many compliments from strangers.

http://lesantimodernes.blogspot.com/2009/04/kodes-handmade-bags.html

i also love her dress - with her yellow bike it's perfect!

 

Anonymous flaneuse said ... (10:52 AM) : 

I love the top of second girl. So classy!

 

Blogger joshylola said ... (10:52 AM) : 

Fantastic number two picture

 

Anonymous Suzan said ... (10:54 AM) : 

I'm sorry to say but I don't see much difference between the photos in your posts and Garance's: it's all cute girls on bikes, right?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:55 AM) : 

i'm free like a river... when i'm with my bike, good pictures

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:01 AM) : 

Visit www.cielfashion.com Great deals on sandals and heels!!!

www.cielfashion.com

 

Blogger Polly Rowan said ... (11:14 AM) : 

I love what the second girl is wearing. But I adore that YELLOW bike! xx

 

Blogger JouJou Loves You said ... (11:22 AM) : 

Yes...girl number two. Love the dark hair. Something about her.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:22 AM) : 

I know it's not so stylish... but where are their helmets?

 

Blogger TheBeautyFile said ... (11:30 AM) : 

Beautiful photos. I love the yellow bike.

 

Blogger norawoah said ... (11:30 AM) : 

First of all HOT ORANGE/PINK SHOES! AMAZING! Secondly, I love riding my bike around the city. Go girls, get that bike on!

 

Blogger Wine Girl said ... (11:31 AM) : 

Absolutely in lovee with the first picture. The maxi dress with the colored details on top with yellow bike AND sandals??! a-mazing.
The second one is soo elegant. A luxurious biker. And the third, omg the shoe color! just perfect with the blue.
WG
vieliedevin.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Ingrid said ... (11:41 AM) : 

Ohh, I love the yellow bike!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:44 AM) : 

Fenders/chain guard for the NYC ladies (the Amsterdam ladies already know) - you'll appreciate how it'll prevent you from getting chain grease on your legs or pretty skirts/pants.


Pam

 

Blogger BLOCO arquitetura said ... (11:45 AM) : 

second lady is the incredible model Luciana Curtis! Really beautiful, inteligent and sharp style person...
Edu from Brazil

 

Blogger Hadley Makes said ... (11:47 AM) : 

I love how their shoes all coordinate with their bicycles, esp. #1!

Bike <3

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:53 AM) : 

Dorkys Ramos, don't be afraid to ride a bike in a dress--fenders help a great deal, and you can purchase or make a skirt guard. The delights of riding around dressed as you please outweigh the risks by far.

I can't wait to see how the year-round cyclists will look this fall and winter!

 

Blogger Samantha Nandez said ... (11:54 AM) : 

That's great that NYC is becoming more bike friendly!


Love the styles, I particularly like the shorts and flouncy shirt combo.

 

Blogger Max said ... (12:01 PM) : 

I like the third pic the most. Mostly because of the bike, but I like the colors on her outfit as well.

 

Blogger Rock & Revolution said ... (12:11 PM) : 

LOVE all of the photos. Beautiful summer style!

 

Blogger ingefaer said ... (12:15 PM) : 

for once I am not really sure I see what you are getting at! I don't see that much difference between the Amsterdam and New York girls on bikes? Am I missing something? Pictures are wonderful as always. The last one is very colorful with the blue dress and red shoes, maybe that is what you mean?
PS just received your book in the mail - I am LOVING it.

 

Anonymous donna said ... (12:16 PM) : 

girl #2 is really cute but i'd be too paranoid to leave my bag in the front basket when riding.

 

Blogger ainsleigh said ... (12:16 PM) : 

I agree! the 1st girl's dress is perfect, love the yellow bike!

 

Blogger Soren Lorensen said ... (12:23 PM) : 

bottom picture?

there's no place like home

 

Blogger Dream Sequins said ... (12:29 PM) : 

Which reminds me-- I need to buy myself a chic, vintage looking bicycle. With a basket. I love all these looks! Quintessential downtown NY.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:31 PM) : 

Built for speed? I'm not sure if that's the case. You can't really go that fast without proper clipless pedals and accompanying shoes.

 

Blogger Joan said ... (12:35 PM) : 

The first dress looks like a DIY project I need to start immediately before summer is completely over.

 

Anonymous vvn said ... (12:40 PM) : 

why doesn't anyone wear helmuts?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:43 PM) : 

Helmets please.

Helmet hair is way more attractive than a skull fracture.

 

Anonymous Ljerka-Susanna-Lukic said ... (12:44 PM) : 

NICE!!!
RED
SHOES
ARE
GREAT!!!
Susan,Designer&Writer,Toronto
ARTS&LETTERS
COUTURE

 

Blogger Lions, Tigers and Fashion OH MY! said ... (12:44 PM) : 

Love the girl with the dark hair and the red shoes below!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:50 PM) : 

I love these! If you had them anywhere in London, they'd stolen after 5 minutes. Bad times.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:55 PM) : 

The one on the yellow bike is Jeralyn Gerba, the NYC editor of Daily Candy. I can't believe Scott has never shot her before.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:03 PM) : 

Is the second girl Lucianna Curtis??
I think you broke your model rule, Scott :)

 

Anonymous Carole said ... (1:13 PM) : 

I loved riding my bike in Paris, but now that I live in NYC, I'm too afraid of the cabs...
Great pics as usual !

 

Blogger TMFA said ... (1:19 PM) : 

Beautiful pictures, but the bike culture in Amsterdam is of another level compared to in New York. :)

 

Blogger Renato Saavedra said ... (1:23 PM) : 

hi, is the second girl luciana curtis, ex brazilian top model????? she`s so perfect!!!! congratulations for the home page...

 

Anonymous Martin said ... (1:25 PM) : 

When I came across your fabulous photos of these lovely creatures and their bicycles, I knew right away that in the comments I would read about their not wearing helmets. And I knew that I would be incredibly annoyed. I'm not sure why. Is it because I'm Dutch and here we do not wear helmets for day to day riding of casual bicycles? Are we backward in this sense to Americans, as in our eating habits and waistlines? Should bicycle riding be reserved for those who can afford helmets, expensive racing bikes and gobs of lycra? Or am I annoyed just because I'm Dutch and we tend to be annoyed by almost everything, and have I already lost my mind here? Or is it because if you're going to be worried about other people's welfare, are bicycle helmits a good place to start?

 

Blogger Lili Claret said ... (1:26 PM) : 

Hey Sartorialist! I Must say I was living in Maastricht, Netherlands, for 4 months, and people there was extremely stylish and well dressed! that surprise me a lot actually, their taste is quite classic but well combined with the last trends...I don't disagree with you that NY people seem to have something special when talking about mode, but I was amazed how great they look on their bikes in their chic style!
bisous from Barcelona, Lili

 

Anonymous p. dot said ... (1:28 PM) : 

How funny! I woke up this morning (in London) and posted something again about my new friend, Kari, the 'babe on the bike' I met in Southampton recently. Another blogger said you were doing a series on girls & bikes but she said it BEFORE you posted this! (Or Garance, for that matter). It's like this meme that's hit people around the world.

If you'd like to see mine, it's on my blog:
http://streetstylelondon.blogspot.com/ (2nd post... actually, 3rd is a French babe BY a bike... a motorbike).

Lovely shots. I like the middle one best.

 

Blogger Heidi said ... (1:32 PM) : 

How pretty! That second girl must be a model.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:44 PM) : 

Luciana é linda! Brazilian women are the most beautiful ones, indeed. hihi

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:44 PM) : 

Hooray for New York's biker girls!

Cheers.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:51 PM) : 

The second picture is totally perfect!!!

 

Blogger Marie El. said ... (1:52 PM) : 

Who says u can´t bike and look stylish? Scandinavians can prove it for sure!

 

Blogger SabinePsynopsis said ... (1:58 PM) : 

One of the few things I soo miss moving from Berlin to the UK - cycling. It allows you to wear high heels the whole day without any pains. Handbags are a bit of an issue, though... but pic no. 2 gives the perfect solution (apart from looking stunning): a basket. And isn't that quite fashionable in Holland, too?

 

Anonymous tuetre said ... (1:59 PM) : 

Girl number two!! Sporty and feminine all at once!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:03 PM) : 

in ny they see it as exercise, in amsterdam it's just transportation.

 

Blogger Nikki - - Monomestile - - said ... (2:11 PM) : 

Stylish girls on bikes: my favourite! Girl #2 is my favourite.
I love your bike pictures, and your definately right about individual culture being reflected through their style. Amsterdam almost seems more pretty and relaxed, but NY has got that fierce, fast, sexy feel to it.

 

Blogger Fashion London Life said ... (2:13 PM) : 

ces photos sont très très chouettes!

 

Blogger BB said ... (2:27 PM) : 

I'll take the dress from the first pic (the embroidery is TO DIE FOR!) and the shoes from pic three and I'd wear them both together ... goodness me ... why in the world not? ;)

Thank you for another round of delightfully darling photos.

http://www.bargainbex.blospot.com

 

Blogger Intrinsically Florrie said ... (2:35 PM) : 

I just LOVE the detail on the first girl's dress- it's so gorgeous.
The second one has a really pretty top, I like the neckline on it too- very sweet. The bag is also nice.

Florrie x

 

Anonymous Antonio Barros said ... (3:16 PM) : 

Amazing pics! The 2nd one is my favorite and the 1st one is adorable!!

the singular

 

Blogger Camila Faria said ... (3:30 PM) : 

Girl # 2 = Luciana Curtis, brazilian model.

 

Blogger Meindert said ... (3:50 PM) : 

Somehow I also don't get the point about the comparison with Amsterdam bikes. Especially because the links that were used show two times the same black ladysbike (which to be honoust are very popular in holland, amongst women and men) and once the commercial bikes for rent. This is hardly representative for the Dutch bike culture. Plus there is a reason why Dutch bike especially in Amsterdam looking shabby (and sometimes chic nontheless). Because bike theft is everywhere! Forget about locks etc. They will cut them, they will come with trucks and load many bikes in at once. So better you take an old cheap bike, and don't worry too much. We also have a common thing like bike insurance for our expensive bike, but it is still annoying to find your bike stolen.

About the helmets... I don't see why you need one. You actually don't reach that high speeds to be in much danger of cracking your skull. Plus cycling shouldn't be about reaching high speeds it should be about being enjoying the outside while getting where u want quicker than by foot. Or maybe that is my Dutch sentiment. In any case, no one in Amsterdam wears a helmet, and don't think the traffic isn't crazy there, because it is, and there are many more bikes that go wherever they want.

 

Blogger The Chukker said ... (3:55 PM) : 

Soho and bycicles are a great combination nowadays. Prince St has a bike lane that is so cool!!!
These girls here are so fresh!!!
Love them...

 

Blogger jackie from designsmitten said ... (3:56 PM) : 

if they were wearing helmets they wouldnt be pictured. someone please make a helmet that's cute!

 

Anonymous Serena said ... (3:58 PM) : 

I love biking and I love fashion, but helmets are really a necessity in NYC. I used to have a bike like girl #1 and rode around in cute skirts until I got sideswiped on 6th Avenue (yes, there is a bike line on 6th and yes, I was paying attention. some guy needed to get through the light). I received 48 stitches to the head and suffer from crazy migraines. I was told I was lucky to get away so easily. I will wear a geeky helmet until a more fashionable one can be found!

 

Anonymous Laura said ... (4:08 PM) : 

I love the bright patent shoes in the third picture, also the second picture I love the shoes and top she is wearing. i almost purchased ones that look just like that from Marc Jacobs.

 

Blogger Virtual Styling said ... (4:09 PM) : 

WOW!What a small world i saw the 2nd women that exact same day and i said to myself how graceful she looked on that bike and then to know that you took a picture of here and i was that close to seeing you just BLOWS MY MIND!

check out my blog: virtualstyling.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous On-the-Spot said ... (4:10 PM) : 

la photo avec la fille en bleu est magnifique. I've got a track bike in Paris and I think that riding looks are very fashions

 

Anonymous zazoza said ... (4:12 PM) : 

dont you just love luciana curtis? gorgeous!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:15 PM) : 

I love this blog, and clothing. But, even though they aren't cute, please, please, please *wear a helmet.* They seriously can make the difference between needing a band-aid and being in a coma/dead. Really. It's not worth the risk.

 

Anonymous UnoCosa said ... (4:21 PM) : 

Since i won my Topshop bicycle this summer, i've been riding it to work as much as i can ... fighting the traffic in the city is no-easy task but i really enjoyed the daily "oxygen-overdose" - and glad to be able to stay away from subway!!! - it's so fabulous to see those stylish photos ... i'am glad that i'm not the only one who chose style over helmet :-)) ... !!! great post, xoxo

 

Anonymous Adriano Gonçalves said ... (4:22 PM) : 

The second girl is Brazilian Luciana Curtis. By the way, when people ride a bike, the city gets more human.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:44 PM) : 

I'm almost embarrassed to admit this (almost, but not quite) - but because of your bike photos I went out and bought a bike with a back rack and saddlebags to run my errands around town on. I love it! I even had them put fenders on it, even though I doubt I'll ever take it out in the rain. It took me a few days to figure out how to ride again, but now I'm on it as much as possible. The Sartorialist: Saving the planet & looking good while doing it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:58 PM) : 

I love my bicycle so much. I bought fancy lady western boots to match it.

 

Blogger SequinsandBangles said ... (4:58 PM) : 

I love the yellow bike in the first picture, and the detail on the dress! I also love the fact that she is wearing bike friendly heels & that she can actually cycle in them! I love the little basket in the second picture and the beautiful collar detail on the t-shirt, and I love the bright shoes in the third! I've been thinking a lot of getting a bicycle recently, I think it is such a romantic way to travel a city as a young woman! :)

 

Blogger Devi said ... (5:00 PM) : 

girl #2 is gorgeous. First thing I noticed was her blouse. I love it. I like Bike #1 the most.

 

Blogger Lourdes said ... (5:43 PM) : 

I love your photos!!!I'll follow visiting your blog!!
***

 

Blogger Katarina Kühl ~ PencilFashion said ... (5:50 PM) : 

the dress in the first pic is fantastic!

 

Blogger Nat said ... (6:10 PM) : 

these ladies are so lovely! :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:43 PM) : 

the whole "stylish/hipster girl on bike" and the "go green/sustainable living" trend seem to strike a similar chord. it's all for appearances, rather than actually giving a damn about the planet and CO2 emissions. its either a cute dog, a bike or a louis vuitton bag as an accessory.

but hey, anything to get people to live a healthier lifestyle, get those girls to smoke a few less cigarettes, and to get a few less cars off the road.

lastly, WEAR A HELMET!

 

Blogger Brigadeiro said ... (7:09 PM) : 

That 2nd girl is so casually elegant & stunning! Love the dress & yellow bike (with matching sandals!) in the first pic.

 

Blogger hbynoe said ... (7:42 PM) : 

surely makes me want to get 2 wheels

 

Blogger Amy said ... (8:22 PM) : 

I love photo no. 1...her dress is great but I want that yellow bike!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:48 PM) : 

The colors of the last picture are great. And the first one, too. I miss having access to a bike. Also, I see a lot of women in photos wearing a dress on a bike. I never have been able to do that without it flying up in the wind. Bike shorts underneath? Spanx? Any advice?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:25 PM) : 

Well, you and Bill Cunningham....
Yes, men and women both ride bikes in Europe in their work clothes including overcoats in cold weather. And no fancy/schmancy road bikes in Amsterdam. No, the worst pieces of S*** bikes you ever saw to discourage theft. The people still look great....except they smoke like chimneys. I really don't get it.

 

Anonymous penny S. said ... (10:02 PM) : 

Lovely outfits, yes, but they won't look lovely if they fall without a helmet on. It's so easy to get hit from behind on a bike—so take care, ladies! Anyone who knows better than to not wear a seat belt should also ALWAYS wear a helmet!

 

Blogger Joy Mars said ... (10:04 PM) : 

When I visit NYC again I'm going to rent a bike and cruise around Soho and Chelsea.

See ya, Sart!

BTW, thanks for supporting green living choices.

 

Blogger ultimate fashion junkie. said ... (10:09 PM) : 

number 3's outfit's amazing.love the red shoes!
x
the diary of a fashion junkie.

 

Blogger hi-d said ... (10:33 PM) : 

Brilliant photos! Love the last photo with the color contrast of the dress and shoes!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:39 PM) : 

why aren't any of them wearing helmets!?! isn't safety fashionable?

 

Blogger Connie said ... (11:22 PM) : 

Adore the second pic, she looks truly stunning, the blouse is amazing.

The Heartbreak

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:00 AM) : 

Hi, i agree whats Meindert said..so true, and i hope not only Holland but Usa and Brazil(here),can change the mind and use bike as normal transport,Earth will be thankfull...and Luciana Curtis is Gorgeous!!but i think the third girl took the right choice,trendy with safety!!!

 

Anonymous holly said ... (12:15 AM) : 

It amazes me how each girl is perfectly coorinated with her bike~you could easily pick which one belongs to which bike~and...they each are very put together as far as their clothing goes. Great pictures!

 

Blogger Harley said ... (1:41 AM) : 

I rode the public bikes while in Paris. At first, it was scary riding on the stone streets, but I thought it was just so chic, so I got used to it! Please visit my blog www.harleyshops.blogspot.com! You are all welcomed guests!

 

Blogger jessicadrhp said ... (1:47 AM) : 

i really love all of them! they make riding look so simple and classy. Love the dress in the first one, and wish i cld get those shoes in the last.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:54 AM) : 

Riding in heels is easy peasy, but it is damn near impossible to work a helmet with a nice outfit. I wear a helmet because it's the law where I live and I have to set an example for my kids. And the number of peole who say me I look great from the neck down is just...tedious.

 

Anonymous Larisa said ... (2:05 AM) : 

wow! that first bike is the same frame and color as my bike! It's from '72! Except the paint job on hers is more intact....

Scott, where are their helmets!


also, is it more fashionable to have the basket on the front or back?

whaddyasay?

 

Blogger Cobalt Violet said ... (3:03 AM) : 

Yellow bike girl is darling! Fresh and summery in her cute embellished dress & wedges. Cute burst of primary colors in the bottom photo ... kinda makes me sad summer will end. (Except that my apartment is 500 degrees!)

 

Anonymous Christine said ... (3:24 AM) : 

I love the red shoes the last girl wore!! (:

 

Blogger Ahmed Abbas said ... (3:38 AM) : 

girls on bikes are yummy!

 

Blogger sofiasophie said ... (4:15 AM) : 

-The girl nº2 is very very cool ( and she wears one of my fav bag!)
But the girl nº1 has a lovely bike and a fab dress with a beautiful bag (wich designer?).
and the girl nº3 wear so well thisblue dress mixed with these fabulous coral shoes!

Good post!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:15 AM) : 

Re: Helmets

Cycling culture in the the US/UK is much different than it is in most of Europe. We don't have as many cycling lanes (and many are not separated from the road), and our fellow road users are often very hostile toward cyclists and don't drive with our safety in mind.

With this in mind, wearing a helmet is often necessary. Yakkay is making some relatively cute helmets with interchangeable covers that are a bit more stylish than the Giro and Bell options out there.

I am a daily cyclist in London on my Gazelle stadsfiets sportief and I wouldn't go anywhere without a helmet. There are a far too many dangerous roundabouts and bad drivers to risk my life, and it keeps my hair dry when it rains. Sometimes my safety is more important than the world seeing my beautiful brown hair.

What is it like for cyclists in NYC? Television would have one think it isn't much different than London.

 

Blogger LE CALZATURE said ... (4:39 AM) : 

It pleases me the contrast, it lives.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:46 AM) : 

Two things:

The Netherlands are bike country. Nobody ever wears a helmet (unless an American expat) which is, it may surprise you, No Problem. On the contrary, it is the very reason Everybody bikes.

Secondly, Dutch style is different from French style is different from American style is different from Japanese style: with or without bike!

These hot orange shoes blow my mind. The entire look is spliffin'.

 

Blogger justbecausefashion said ... (4:53 AM) : 

wow! love the second picture...

gloria

xxx G&L

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:11 AM) : 

the second girl has so much attitude!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:37 AM) : 

White dress, yellow bike. Great combo!

 

Blogger Emma said ... (7:16 AM) : 

lovely shoes at the last pictures! killer for that color(:

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:05 AM) : 

I'm surprised no one has noticed it yet-the 2nd girl looks so unbelievably Giovanna-like!!!

 

Anonymous ottoboettcher said ... (8:38 AM) : 

The ladies are so delightful. A site for sore eyes.

Bicycle online shop

 

Blogger Ashley said ... (9:07 AM) : 

You always manage to find the chicest cyclists in New York.

http://fashionroadkill-halifax.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:03 AM) : 

love the miu miu bag in the basket ...the colors, everything about that photos rocks.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:21 AM) : 

i think those orange shoes are repetto...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:46 AM) : 

Girl #2 is brazillian model Luciana Curtis!
I´m sure!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:11 AM) : 

Great photos, nice bikes (especially the yellow one) and cool women.

Of course they wouldn't look cool with helmets and wouldn't be on the blog.

Fascist helmet police - find out the facts before you tell people what to do. The health benefits of riding a bike (with or without a helmet) outweigh the risks, even in a country without a bike culture like the UK/US by a factor of about 20:1.

I've ridden my bike without a helmet on busy UK roads every day for over 20 years and I laugh every time I hear someone say you have to wear a helmet to be safe if you don't live in Denmark/Holland. Balls.

Although I'm glad there are lots of saddos riding around with geeky helmets and ridiculous high viz clothing because it makes me look cooler in my normal clothes :-)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:33 AM) : 

NONE OF THESE PEOPLE ARE WEARING HELMETS NOR DO THEY HAVE THEM NEAR BY AS ACCESSORIES!!! Being cute on a bike is one thing, until you are horribly disfigured and/or being spoon-fed for the rest of your life.

 

Anonymous Alex said ... (11:44 AM) : 

Very nice, reminds me of my friends pics: http://sveinungskaalnes.com/bikes1.html

 

Anonymous trish said ... (1:04 PM) : 

i love the marriage of bikes and fashion. i am an avid nyc rider and have just one issue: it's thanks to Transportation Alternatives and other dedicated bike organizations that these lanes exist. They lobby tirelessly so people can be fabulous AND safe! credit where credit is due gets the word out!!!

 

Blogger Elena Iezzi said ... (1:23 PM) : 

does anyone know what bike she is riding in the first picture? its beaaaautiful!

 

Blogger Benji said ... (1:47 PM) : 

Great photo's! I think it's just because bikes are relatively new in NY that people still feel the need to overdo it and pretend to be at the gym. While Amsterdam biker's city since 1870.

 

Blogger piatenko said ... (2:23 PM) : 

bikes rules the world !

 

Blogger Helen said ... (3:26 PM) : 

The first one is my absolute favorite. That yellow! And her matching yellow shoes! Just beautiful.

 

Blogger cornliquordrinker said ... (3:48 PM) : 

Having cycled for transport every day for the last four years, and having participated in both "types" of cycling cliques (the adrenaline fixed gear and now, the Danish city bike with fenders, a rack, etc.), I can say that getting places casually, without having to roll up a pant leg or strap on spandex, is a far better fit for the kind of bourgeoisie culture that is represented in this blog. Far better than worrying with clipless pedals, lycra, fancy "cycling" gloves, and, I will venture to say, a helmet.

I have to say, the Europeans are miles ahead of the U.S. on cycle culture. STYLE OVER SPEED!!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:50 PM) : 

Elena lezzi: The beautiful yellow bicycle is a vintage Schwinn Breeze. I don't know the exact year, but it is from the mid 1970s. These are really wonderful bicycles, and have become somewhat difficult to find in good condition.

 

Anonymous veronica said ... (7:01 PM) : 

anonymous 11:11, you've been lucky. i'm in america and can think of four friends off hand who've been hit by cars while riding (in the past four or five years, various cities) and avoided serious injury only because of their helmets. you can call them geeky if you like; personally, i'd rather try to get people NOT to view helmets as geeky. they're just tools that help you avoid being killed by the larger, faster vehicles with which you share the road.

(point of comparison: eyeglasses are tools that help people with poor eyesight see better. and many schoolkids think they're geeky. is the solution to stop wearing glasses, or to get kids used to them so they stop mocking them?)

i totally agree the health benefits of biking outweigh the risks, but why not lower the risks by wearing a helmet? it's a no-lose proposition.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:19 PM) : 

The first dress is gorgeous! And the bike is so chic! =)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:57 PM) : 

The second girl is lovely. I really like her cute outfit, stylish sunglasses and sexy hair.

 

Anonymous lf said ... (11:16 PM) : 

I have been out of town for two weeks in Las Vegas without access to your site. Odd yes? Anyways I have missed the pictures and the style, why is there hardly any style in Vegas but skank? Not wanting to offend but come on, If I see one more too tight/short/booby/booty dress I will scream, which is why your site is so refreshing, thank you!

 

Blogger angela said ... (12:06 AM) : 

i would love to comment on the piece about biking and fashion. for a long while now, being a vancouverite who loves to bike and the bike being my main source of transport. i've decided to stop trying to dress one way for biking, and another for going places, dinner, the theatre, drinks with friends. i've decided to just wear what i would wear..then get on my bike and get there...sure some times i get some looks riding a race bike with a Genvieve Graham dress on. but who cares, this dress makes me feel amazing and it's as comfortable as anything. i show up a bit dewy and ask for a glass of Prosecco. i think it's fantastic, wouldn't have it any other way! xo

 

Anonymous Logan Wolfe said ... (12:48 AM) : 

I'm definitely envious of the cycling culture a place like Amsterdam has. The closest I've experienced in the US is in San Francisco but there it's mostly a militant my way or get off the highway type of attitude (i.e., critical mass). However, now that I'm living in LA I'm feeling awfully lonely commuting to work where I rarely have the chance of coming to a stop light and waiting with a group of fellow cyclists on their way to where ever. And to see a girl on a bike in Los Angeles? FORGET IT! Good to see New York Ladies representing!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:12 AM) : 

Picture number one seems too kitch.
The second one she is charming.

 

Blogger Txell said ... (5:34 AM) : 

if you'd like to see more different bike users, I reccomend you to take a look at my blog http://barcelonacyclechic.blogspot.com :*

 

Anonymous Selina said ... (7:15 AM) : 

I'm from Holland and it IS safe to ride a bike of here ;) ! We don't have to wear helmets, when you ride a bike you just own a piece of the road I guess.. People become extra careful when they see someone riding on a bike. Fun to see that americans choose very different bikes then in holland.

 

Blogger Barbara said ... (9:03 AM) : 

The first girl is lovely. I think she models for anthropologie and arden b.

 

Blogger amalie said ... (10:02 AM) : 

ooh. i love all your new york photos! the first girl is great! i love her dress and the bike is awesome. and the last girls red shoes rock.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:03 AM) : 

Is the girl two Luciana Curtis?
The brazilian top model? She's gorgeous!

 

Blogger hc said ... (11:29 AM) : 

i understand and enjoy garance's POV. however, in ny it's the utility of the subject that draws you in; ie where's she going, who's she making plans via phone with, rather than the stand and pose (albeit cute) mentality you see from other cities.

ps these new bikers are so territorial of their lanes! enjoy the mini-scuffles between engines and pedals along 8th.

 

Anonymous Speckle78 said ... (11:34 AM) : 

Anyone know who the beautiful dress in pic 1 is by? I must have it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:45 PM) : 

The second girl is a brazilian model named Luciana Curtis!! Gorgeous!!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:12 PM) : 

Isn't the second girl a famous brazilian model??

 

Anonymous Debarge said ... (9:38 PM) : 

new yorkers don't need helmets!? it's illegal in australia to ride without a helmet... i guess there are pros and cons on both sides

 

Blogger JustNorman said ... (12:12 AM) : 

very sweet bikes. diggin the shoes in the last picture.

http://justnorman.blogspot.com/
the blog that no one knows about

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:22 AM) : 

the shoes one girl #3 are oh so gnarley.

http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com
the blog that no one knows about

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:36 PM) : 

Being from Holland, I find it very amusing to see bikes treated as some kind of novelty accessory. As for the helmet issue, if you think cyclists should wear a helmet, then so should pedestrians. The chance of getting sideswiped by manic taxi drivers is pretty much equal in both cases and cycling safety is mostly your own responsibility.

 

Anonymous Jacquelyn said ... (7:54 PM) : 

My new favorite street style shots this summer has been girls on bikes. Great picks.

 

Blogger Tim McFarlane said ... (12:06 AM) : 

Great shots, as always. I love the first woman's outfit-its a win for me. The woman in the middle looks good and sporty, while the red shoes in the bottom photo rock. I'm not so into the pairing of the strong blue with the red, but that's just me.

 

Anonymous Mirjam said ... (5:41 AM) : 

"....so reflective of a cultures taste and aesthetics"

Hmmm, as a fashionable Dutch girl it's hard not take to this as an offend. Like Garance mentions in her post, everyone in Amsterdam rides a bike, whereas in NY it still seems to be an accessory rather than a means of transport.

I love your photos of course!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:37 PM) : 

Love pic #2. Her attitude is what makes this so beautiful, plus that adorable top doesn't hurt.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:34 PM) : 

nothing more attractive than a well dressed girl on a bike... it just screams (or maybe whispers?) easy going, breezy, charming.

 

Blogger v-kit said ... (5:26 PM) : 

cycling cycling ^^
i need a bike

 

Blogger Friend in Fashion said ... (12:41 AM) : 

The last shoes are amazing!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:45 AM) : 

anon 3:36, almost everywhere in america, bicyclists are in the road, with cars. they don't have their own path. so they're at much more risk from manic taxi drivers than pedestrians, who are on the elevated sidewalk.

 

Blogger Teresa @ good-grace said ... (10:59 AM) : 

Adorable on all counts.

 

Anonymous Jen said ... (2:18 PM) : 

Love love love this post!

keep calm + ride on!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:35 PM) : 

Bikes, yes!

 

Blogger Natalie Suarez said ... (4:25 PM) : 

I LOVE the last look, those bright shoes are fantastic :)

xoxo

natalieoffduty.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Dottie said ... (7:26 PM) : 

How interesting to point out the cultural differences. I'm sure many women look at photos of the Europeans floating by on their bicycles looking like something out of an old movie, and wish they could look the same. But I'll take sporty, sexy and built for speed any day!

 

Blogger firefly said ... (7:36 PM) : 

I am in love with the first girl's dress. The neckline is so beautiful. adds a modern twist to a classic dress.

 

Blogger Jeni Baker said ... (8:03 PM) : 

I really love the second image. I have been really drawn to ruffles lately, and this is a very interesting, different use of ruffles. I think apart from that, her hair really adds a lot of mystery.

Finally picked up your book today! It is fantastic, definitely well worth every penny.

 

Blogger Jodie said ... (11:41 PM) : 

It is all very chic, but there are no helmets.

i ride my bike down 20th st, 5th ave then down hudson, all lanes, and i ride with a helmet. It's not headwear du jour but i ride safe. i feel as if these lovely photos are somewhat condoning riding without helmets, because who doesn't want to be cute on a bike in manhattan? Disregarding safety is so easy- but it's not whether or not you ride safe, it could be the drivers, the pedestrians, the truckies who don't see you, no? Nonetheless, to everyone who is riding out there helmet or no helmet, God bless and be safe please!

 

Anonymous zoe said ... (1:43 AM) : 

ooo la la, the top on girl number 2 is oh so adorable!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:50 AM) : 

more triceps

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:00 AM) : 

Totaly in love with the dress in the first picture.

 

Blogger j-shan said ... (9:45 AM) : 

wow i love the fluro shoes in the last pic!

check out my new blog
shanrantings.blogspot.com :)

 

Blogger Style, She Wrote said ... (2:30 PM) : 

Perhaps the increase in bike use stems from the continued MTA hikes...

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:18 AM) : 

Please Please Please... keep taking photos of lovely ladies on bicycles!
It is such a pleasure to view the world through your eye.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:31 AM) : 

Bikes have a weird way of making a city feel sexier - especially when the riders rock great outfits.

Interesting commentary on the difference in styles. The New Yorkers - more high end, muted and classic. Dutch more low key, random and avante garde with their style. Seems to summarize some of the across the pond differences.

 

Blogger Jadore-Fashion said ... (3:19 PM) : 

love the neon brogues!!!

 

Anonymous Carolann said ... (12:43 PM) : 

I want a yellow bike...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:19 PM) : 

Ah, second photo is our brazilian model, Luciana Curtis... It´s been a long time since last I´ve seen her when she used to be at Sao Paulo Fashion Week´s shows. Find more brazilians in NY... Lilly Bastos

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:03 PM) : 

I hope you know now that you posted the first picture, I now HAVE to have a yellow bike! Great pic!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:32 PM) : 

A bike is a great accesory~

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:25 PM) : 

The red shoes are a beautiful color!

 

Blogger najee said ... (1:51 PM) : 

I Love Love Love The Orange jazz shoes.
http://tresfraisnajee.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger AGNESAADAMCZAK said ... (9:17 AM) : 

yellow bike is amazing ;-)

 

Blogger emily said ... (11:24 PM) : 

Love the style of the second girl. Very cool, laid back, and those Marc Jacobs sandals are adorable!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:25 PM) : 

Unique face of Luciana Curtis...

 

Blogger anna kim said ... (11:30 AM) : 

gah i want to get a bike just so one day you can shoot a pretty picture like this for me. you are one talented man mr. satorialist

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:28 AM) : 

gorgeous!

 

Anonymous BritishEccectricity said ... (12:50 PM) : 

i love that number 1 is not only riding a bike in a dress, but also in wedges :)
xx

 

Anonymous Tamar said ... (1:11 PM) : 

I don't really understand^^ In my eyes, a bike is NOT an accessory. And it really isn't. It is a way to get from one place to another (or to have a nice tour when it's nice weather).
I use the bike for everything, which is great. It means I don't have to walk that much, which means I can wear high heels all day.

I love the photos btw. The dress is the first picture is gorgeous.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:52 PM) : 

the top model Lu Curtis is always amaizing!!!

 

Blogger . said ... (4:10 PM) : 

i love it.

 

Blogger Carol Jeandel said ... (12:22 PM) : 

they all my favorite of all ....... surround in NYC . I hope i can ride my bike and dress my favorite like that It tooooo cool Thanks your gret post .

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:13 PM) : 

That's it. I'm getting a basket for my bike. I need to experience this.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting