This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

My New Obsession - Cuffed Jeans

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, July 27, 2009

My New Obsession - Cuffed Jeans



When done right, this could be really cool.
I want to try it with a pair of hard denim APC jeans.

Comments on "My New Obsession - Cuffed Jeans"

 

Blogger PEPPER!!!!! said ... (10:30 AM) : 

POPS is coming with that FIRE!!! so elegant and coo...the cuffs took it there.

 

Blogger Mr Brown said ... (10:32 AM) : 

Albam in London do a great raw denim chino which is perfect for cuffing (turn ups).

What ever you call them they're perfect with chucka boots.

 

Blogger Oscar said ... (10:33 AM) : 

wicked pair of shoes he's got there as well

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:36 AM) : 

From head to toe, everything works. He looks great!

 

Blogger Charles said ... (10:37 AM) : 

Great idea. The suede desert boots complement the look nicely as well. And again, an older gentleman with a slimmer legged pant looking refined and relaxed.

 

Blogger claritaita said ... (10:39 AM) : 

I love this chair!

 

Anonymous Kira Pinski said ... (10:44 AM) : 

I can't believe this is coming back.I remember in 4th grade trying to create the perfect cuff by folding the pants in and rolling. oh my... but, on he does look good with this style.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:45 AM) : 

love it!

stylejustice.blogspot.com

 

Blogger The Khaki Crusader said ... (10:45 AM) : 

i have a pair of raw denim APC's that I do that with from time to time, especially in the rain. It works well. Try er out

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:51 AM) : 

even when done right, you've gotta not have 'Cankles' or short calves (sigh) to pull this off!

 

Blogger pRiyA said ... (10:52 AM) : 

Hey! He looks really smart! I'd give him a second look...

 

Blogger AndrewPlus2 said ... (10:54 AM) : 

They look like Alden 1492's

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:06 AM) : 

This guy looks absolutely fantastic! Those jeans must have been specially made for cuffing otherwise you wouldn't get the blue side of the denim fabric showing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:09 AM) : 

This is a great-looking photo! Where was it taken? And is the gentleman Japanese?

 

Blogger Ruhvana and Flanelli said ... (11:09 AM) : 

Style from hear to toe.

Ruhvana

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (11:09 AM) : 

Looks good here. I feel like this would be best done minimally and lean-ly. Nothing busy.

 

Blogger SallyO said ... (11:12 AM) : 

How did he do that? Did he fold them up and then back down and tuck under? Very interesting...

 

Blogger taryn said ... (11:12 AM) : 

Love. and I always cuff my APC jeans! It's best with jeans that have a selvedge. Adorable.

x

 

Anonymous Antonio Barros said ... (11:25 AM) : 

I like the shoes! But the jeans is not attractive to me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:25 AM) : 

Thank you Scott for featuring folks of all ages -- because not all your followers are young and beautiful. Sometimes we need to feel that age doesn't have to be a barrier to beauty. You have captured how attractive a 'seasoned' man can be.

 

Blogger JURIS..!!! said ... (11:29 AM) : 

good i love this idea, and i always do this one hehehe
remeber when the girls wear the boyfriend jeans? its ciffed

 

Blogger Miiicha said ... (11:29 AM) : 

Love The whole pic! it gives a cosy feeling

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:34 AM) : 

Love the look. I am a big fan of the cuffed jean. It has to be just the right amount though for it to be pulled off well.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:37 AM) : 

I have such a love hate relationship with my ankles and wrists which are incredibly small. Picking the right shoe is such a process but I eventually I nailed it down how to wear cuffed jeans AND exposing my ankles. My favorite look is a pair of dark CK skinny jeans cuffed with a heel. Never flats. This gives me another way to look @ rocking a cuffed pant, especially in the fall.

 

Blogger Daedalus said ... (11:39 AM) : 

@SallyO

Yes he did, I wear all my jeans kinda like this for quite some time now. I 'stole' the style from Ralph Lauren.

Denim jeans should not be shortened by a tailor, thath concept is for me not consistent with the simple, basic, manual labor roots of the garment.

 

Blogger Raj said ... (11:43 AM) : 

He looks amazinggg
The cuff is soo cool and accentuates the shoes perfectlyy

 

Blogger Clément Treboux said ... (11:45 AM) : 

I really understand your new obsession, i do this with all of my jeans as soon as the sun is shining !
i love

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:47 AM) : 

The cuff's one thing, not sure about the crease though. Move away from APC, Dior are a far superior slim jean.

 

Blogger Lance Miller said ... (11:48 AM) : 

Looks cool done in this way! But why is he wearing a black belt with brown suede shoes?

 

Blogger luckybastard said ... (11:52 AM) : 

apc best jeans with a selvedge? most denim connoiseurs would kindly disagree. apc's don't hold color well and aren't that well made when put up against other selvedge's in that price point- particularly rrl's. if you go up in price, it's not even a comparison. spurr, prps, studio d'artisan, guilded age, and many other selvedge jeans lap the apc's.

 

Blogger Roman Dennis said ... (12:00 PM) : 

its so hard to get right
but look at grandpa doing it
so really if he can do it anyone can


www.fashionwhatsnext.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:02 PM) : 

I especially like the blue socks. I'm always confused on what color socks to wear with blue jeans. The blue socks (as opposed to white socks) makes this outfit so much chicer.

 

Blogger Jamie Jonathan Ball said ... (12:17 PM) : 

this is awesome i have the same boots and always felt uncomfortable wearing them with jeans..but have tried the cuffs and it really works for me with a shirt :)

tack

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:21 PM) : 

Gotta show my dad that he, too, can be daddy-cool. Nice!

 

Blogger doublysweet said ... (12:23 PM) : 

what a cute older man.
the pop of contrasting color from his shoes just make it even greater.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:24 PM) : 

Black shiny belt not such a great idea

 

Blogger Jamie Jonathan Ball said ... (12:27 PM) : 

(with the dior homme hedi design 19" hem downsized by 2 sizes)

 

Anonymous The Stylist said ... (12:33 PM) : 

I love those shoes

 

Blogger NaT said ... (12:33 PM) : 

It´s really nice that men are wearing pants most fitted! cool!

 

Blogger thwany said ... (12:52 PM) : 

i agree, it's all about execution and having it done right.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:56 PM) : 

the shoes are the best part of it. cuffed jeans... I'd've liked it all better with cloth-trousers...

 

Blogger Love + Cake said ... (12:58 PM) : 

Haha, yes, I've been cuffing my jeans lately as well! It reminds me of one of my favorite childhood movies, The Sandlot

All the boys cuffed their jeans! I love this look.

 

Anonymous F.E. Castleberry said ... (1:03 PM) : 

Great look...I've been rolling my cuffs all summer on my chinos and going sockless.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:08 PM) : 

Oh, the conversations we would have~!

 

Blogger Ashley said ... (1:23 PM) : 

I think my favorite thing about your style M.O. is how you can zone in on little details that absolutely make an outfit. Seriously, so well done.

PS- Come to Halifax!!!!

http://fashionroadkill-halifax.blogspot.com

 

Blogger noelakadjtambour said ... (1:25 PM) : 

great silhouette

 

Blogger ZEPETIT said ... (1:32 PM) : 

It´s already very cool!

Zepequeña.

 

Blogger Sr Q said ... (1:40 PM) : 

In Spain these jeans take them the fat men

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:42 PM) : 

effortlessly amazing outfit!

 

Blogger jcrew guy in Canada said ... (1:43 PM) : 

Really like the boots, the colour is perfect and works well with the dark denim.

 

Anonymous Lisette said ... (1:52 PM) : 

Fabulous!

 

Blogger Michael St. James said ... (2:11 PM) : 

yes please...the brown suede boots with the cuffed dark denim! love this picture!

 

Blogger Soren Lorensen said ... (2:20 PM) : 

I pin roll jeans

more practical, fact, and I think it shows a confidence in how you're wearing the clothes rather than just what you're wearing

 

Blogger Megami said ... (2:26 PM) : 

Usually cuffed jeans don't do it for me, but add it with what is on top (both the jacket/shirt and the great, calm, ageless looking stare) and the look is going on.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:27 PM) : 

Exactly how my daughter wore her jeans in 6th through 8th grades. (She is now 29) There is nothing new under the sun.

 

Anonymous basietrane said ... (2:48 PM) : 

Love the blue double-sided denim, great detail to show off with a cuff.

 

Anonymous CK Dexter Haven said ... (2:50 PM) : 

What exactly are we talking about here?

Just folding the hem up once or twice? Or, an actual SEWN and pressed cuff, like one would find on a 'proper' pair of trousers?

The former makes sense. The latter - not so much. Way too close to the Michael Scott Fun Jeans thing. Dry-cleaned and pressed?

 

Blogger hc said ... (2:56 PM) : 

normally not a fan of cuffed, but if obliged, this is the way to do it; one tone in and out to mute its effect, making it less contrived.

 

Blogger Brian said ... (2:58 PM) : 

There is no fashion fad of the 80's that needs to come back. NONE.

http://bit.ly/1yhe9

 

Anonymous Tom said ... (3:23 PM) : 

This really looks super-cool! This lad has some fine taste! :)

 

Blogger christinaooi said ... (3:34 PM) : 

that guy is SUPER cool!!

 

Anonymous AnonymousJK said ... (3:34 PM) : 

This is the definition of aging gracefully! He looks polished, casual, current and appropriate all at the same time! WOW!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:37 PM) : 

i need to marry a man that when he ages, can still look as stylish and individualistic as this dude here.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:40 PM) : 

Very elegant

 

Anonymous Tom Morton said ... (3:43 PM) : 

Strong look. His shoes are indeed Alden 1492s. And I second the poster who recommended Albam jeans for the turn ups. They do a great slim leg (smart but not tight indie band slim) raw jean for eighty pounds. They're long enough for a proper turn up too.

Find the jeans at www.albamclothing.com/product.aspx?productid=117

 

Anonymous PaulBurnleyUK said ... (3:51 PM) : 

this is a good look with no socks (or rather 'invisible' trainer ones) and a nice pair of deck shoes. bit too indie kid now though, so it WAS a good look.

What are those boots please? Theyre quality

 

Blogger hi-d said ... (4:04 PM) : 

What a daper man. He's so cute!

 

Blogger Fashion By He said ... (4:12 PM) : 

Great pictures...looks like a great guy..

fashionbyhe.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:36 PM) : 

Pure elegance and style. Great composition too.

 

Blogger Beauty Is Diverse said ... (5:34 PM) : 

Luv it.

 

Blogger Melissa~ said ... (5:41 PM) : 

I love it!
Congratulations for your book. Im from chile so is a little bit difficult buy it. But I'll do my best effort and I'll buy it.
I love your work.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:11 PM) : 

I'm confused by the surprise--weren't cuffed jeans really big back in 2003 when Evisu started hitting the mainstream?

 

Blogger Hayley said ... (6:26 PM) : 

classy.

 

Blogger Josh Tengan said ... (6:28 PM) : 

very nice, and im feeling the classic desert boot

 

Blogger Elizabeth said ... (7:11 PM) : 

i'm in love with that man and his shoes. is that so wrong?

http://nothingbutapackofcards.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:22 PM) : 

Wow! This jean is very nice!
Love you, i can't wait for the book!! ha!

Kiss from Argentina.!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:27 PM) : 

those chukkah boots are looking mighty fine. I roll up my jeans every now and then, but it can sometimes get hard to pull off when you live in the suburbs. :/

 

Blogger Julia said ... (7:33 PM) : 

lol well darlins I must be the old gal around here to remember all the jeans were worn with cuffs. Believe it or not my Daddy would yell at me for wearing jeans.. "they are farmers clothes!" lol but he finally came around. me in my cuffed jeans, my uncle franks marine wool shirt, my puma sneakers, my crochet purple hat and my love beads.
jewelles
http://jewelles.etsy.com/

 

Anonymous tomorrowsinspiration said ... (7:45 PM) : 

This guy looks great and I agree the cuffs are cool. Where is he? I wanna be there!

 

Blogger Alice Liddell Blog said ... (7:55 PM) : 

I HAVE to do this anyway cos I have short legs and am usually too lazy to get my pants taken up. although, the look is a bit different on girls. I quite like it with my Nudie jeans though.

 

Blogger Brigadeiro said ... (8:15 PM) : 

He pulls it off so beautifully!

 

Anonymous Isabella said ... (8:54 PM) : 

I love cuffs on shorts and pants, it gives the look a twist . . .

 

Blogger alici said ... (9:26 PM) : 

he looks awsome love it!!

 

Anonymous katrog said ... (10:19 PM) : 

Hey, Sart--

I love checking in--you do a great job with young women, young men, and older men. However, older women are few and far between. In your opionion, is this because older women generally succumb to "mutton dressed as lamb" ridiculousnes or to styleless invisibility? Maybe they just aren't out there on the street? These are genuine questions. As an older woman,I am constantly trying to take my style temperature. :)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:11 PM) : 

a badass gentleman!

 

Blogger Miss Red Socks said ... (11:27 PM) : 

I totally agree, I'm also obsessed with the cuffed jeans. I guess you gave me the idea at first, then I started doing it to my own jeans and then I started noticing it on other people when they do it right or wrong in a funny way.

This is such a great blog for fashion inspirations. I hope mine is too by the way.

www.lefashionintern.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Victoria said ... (11:28 PM) : 

I have loved your posts about mens fashion lately...I love the cleaned, simple, polished look. I have been obsessed with cuffed jeans as well! It's such a coincidence because I just posted something about cuffing jeans and wearing mens-inspired shoes such as oxfords/brogues. Here, you captured someone that has demonstrated this style to perfection. He shows that you can age gracefully! Thanks for posting!

xoxo,
Victoria
http://thestylistadiaries.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Holly said ... (11:29 PM) : 

I've always loved the rolled up jean look, what a guy,and those chuka style shoes tooo cool

 

Blogger BSullivan said ... (11:58 PM) : 

Most of the people I know with APCs do this. Good look.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:19 AM) : 

Loving the desert boots so much! I have been searching for a pair for the longest time and just found what I wanted today! I am without a doubt buying a pair! I am probably as obsessed over the way the man cuffs his jeans as I am. I have been trying it lately but it doesn't look as cool as his! I have to experiment a little more.
check out my trendy blog!
http://thetrendydwarf.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Pae said ... (3:00 AM) : 

He reminded me of the uncle that live a couple block from me when i was in Thailand. I think his fashion rocks.

 

Blogger Bayley. said ... (3:01 AM) : 

Cuffed jeans are definately the way to go!

www.notavailablesorry.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:17 AM) : 

I love this! It is so neat, so refined. It is a kind of fastidious and understated perfection.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:30 AM) : 

Hard denim. Mr Sartorialist you need some lessons son, spend a few months on superfuture and get over the APC obsession.

 

Blogger Laurence John said ... (4:52 AM) : 

I think a lot of your commenters aren't getting the difference between this cuff, which is like a normal trouser cuff (or 'turn up' as we say in England) and the usual jean cuff which shows the wrong side of the denim.

 

Blogger s. said ... (5:53 AM) : 

I hope we'll see some photos of your short time in Toronto... and that you liked our city. I know it's no Paris or Milan but the anglo/ scottish past mixed with the ethnically diverse present make for a lot of gorgeous people with their very own groovy styles.

 

Blogger F. said ... (7:02 AM) : 

I love this...it's laid back but classy at the same time.

 

Anonymous Alejandra said ... (7:05 AM) : 

Hey sart, just to say I LOVE your blog!
It is literally 5 A.M. here in Mexico and I can't stop going through your photos! They're beautiful. I actually check your blog every day just in case you've updated it (2 or 3 or sometimes 4 or 5 times a day.. you know, just in case)

The guy from the picture? Elegant, classy and very stylish.
Thank you for amazing photos like these that remind me of the person I want to be.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:20 AM) : 

The whole get-up looks great but I really love those shoes!

 

Blogger Barbara said ... (7:26 AM) : 

Ah, the older man, chic and understated.......Just love him. He looks splendid and he knows it. I like his expression of amused patience with you, the photog. His shoes are great - seen similar at J Crew....... and the jeans are the perfect foil for any shirt and/or jacket. Great shot.

 

Blogger Linh said ... (8:15 AM) : 

why are the photos so big? my photos are always so small.

 

Anonymous MariaPena said ... (8:37 AM) : 

Your blog is amazing. The pictures are sometimes breathtaking and the way you portrait everyday people's style is incredibly inspirational!
It's funny, I heard of your blog through a very similar blog a portuguese man created:
http://lisboadiarios.blogspot.com

I'll definitly buy the book as soon as I can!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:41 AM) : 

Cuffing with raw denim is definitely a nice look if done right. The contrast of the warp and weft of the fabric can be quite sharp. I've cuffed all of my jeans for a couple of years, and for those asking about stitching them, you don't have to. At least with raw denim, it's stiff enough that you just fold it up and it stays there.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:00 AM) : 

The cuff looks tailored, rather than the commonly rolled look. He strikes me as a guy who would be fastidious about such things.

JP

 

Anonymous eHaberdasher.com said ... (9:03 AM) : 

Don't know about the jeans, but that's a great jacket he's got on... beautiful softly tailored shoulders and a wonderful roll to the lapel. Also looks like cashmere, and the white contrasting buttons are sharp as opposed to the stodgy old brass buttons that are so common with a navy blazer.

____________________
www.eHaberdasher.com

 

Blogger The Clever Pup said ... (9:06 AM) : 

Great face.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:27 AM) : 

great and so elegant when it's simple and chic the game is done.

 

Anonymous Chris K. said ... (9:57 AM) : 

Nice boots, but he is short, his jeans are hiked up to his chest, and the he cuts off his leg line with this hyper-cuff - not the most flattering look for him.

 

Blogger Dila's Favorites said ... (10:32 AM) : 

i love it

chic

 

Blogger jewlover2 said ... (10:59 AM) : 

Us Rockabilly-fans have been cuffing our jeans for ever. Interestingly, the SIZE of the cuff says alot about your level of interest in the scene. heh heh.

 

Anonymous Adam A said ... (11:21 AM) : 

I love his clothes! But having jeans to a jacket is not my cup of tea. I specially love his shoes and jacket!

 

Anonymous duncan said ... (12:00 PM) : 

He looks good but look at that excellent, sofa!!!!

 

Blogger Shadan said ... (2:48 PM) : 

classic!

 

Anonymous IVy said ... (4:02 PM) : 

This is perfectly calming...

 

Anonymous Candice said ... (5:45 PM) : 

He looks so sharp in this outfit. I love it! And I agree the cuffed jeans look really great, very classy.

 

Anonymous an said ... (5:55 PM) : 

he looks crazy good.

 

Anonymous Bombshell Kitten said ... (7:56 PM) : 

I love that his outfit looks very casually thrown together yet it works so masterfully. J'adore.

 

Blogger Charles Reinhardt said ... (9:04 PM) : 

This guy looks awesome. This has been the hip thing in Toronto for the past two summers.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:55 AM) : 

this gentelman should have wear the striped blazer from ''On the Street......Striped Right, Florence'' It's too serious.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:09 AM) : 

This is the first time I've seen this look and liked it. The boots are awesome too. Just the right color.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:55 AM) : 

Nothing finer and nothing more refreshing than seeing a mature person looking this sharp. Truly a treat for the eyes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:58 AM) : 

Jeeze, I love suede shows.....

 

Blogger CGdesigngirl said ... (11:22 AM) : 

I hate to be a downer - but while I love his look and the concept of the narrow jeans cuffed, it's not quite right. Since this pant was not designed to be cuffed (only actual straight legs can be turned under and then cuffed up), there is too much material on the leg it's self (see the bunching). Maybe if they were pressed slightly, you can get away with it...
and of course if the pant was originally designed to be cuffed, that would look super sharp!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:34 PM) : 

I love the blog, but a rolled cuff is not the most visionary of observations. Regardless, they do work well to punctuate a look, hence their perennial presence.

 

Anonymous Esmoquin room said ... (5:46 PM) : 

I loved it! I'm wearing it since this spring and I like too much how you look like. Try it, you would do it great, I'm sure.

I published something about it in my GQ Spain blog.

http://blogs.menstyle.es/esmoquinroom/?p=218

Best!
Jose

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:42 AM) : 

Nice one. All the older people around me wear tent-like jeans with elastic waist, fleece zip-ups (even in summer) and ugly New Balance trainers.

 

Blogger laichungleung said ... (9:41 AM) : 

He isn't wearing so much a pair of jeans. He is more like wearing a pair of cuffed trousers with choice denim fabric, crease and all.

 

Anonymous isaac said ... (2:29 PM) : 

Don't do it, it creates too much weight at the hem forcing the jeans to move awkwardly.

The only reason this works is because he's wearing indigo dyed trousers and not heavyweight denim, so the fabric can still hang properly.

Needless to say, i've tried it before..

 

Blogger Joy Mars said ... (2:00 PM) : 

Very neat and clean. All the proportions work with the rolled-up cuffs.

Now smile.

 

Blogger Tim McFarlane said ... (11:57 PM) : 

I like this look a lot, except for the crease in the jeans. Love the shoes.

 

Anonymous theunrefinalized said ... (11:50 PM) : 

I like the hieght where he wears his pants, they look like they're painted on his belly. This guy doesn't really have the look of someone involved in the fashion world, it looks like a personal style thing.

 

Anonymous Jaz said ... (9:37 AM) : 

The cuff serve you well..., you look damn good on it... :D.

 

Anonymous Joan said ... (12:39 PM) : 

Love the shoes... :D.

 

Anonymous Cristina said ... (3:57 AM) : 

I do this when I buy jeans that are too long and I like them so much that I want to wear them right then (so I don't have time to take them to be fixed). It's really easy with a few hand stitches. The denim must be hard. Slim fit jeans can be made at the ankle and wear with very high heals.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:35 PM) : 

Noemi C. I LOVE it granpapa rocks in that outfit.Just adorble.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting