This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

The Lido with My Workshop Students, Venice

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, July 02, 2009

The Lido with My Workshop Students, Venice




As I mentioned yesterday I am in Venice conducting a workshop with local Venetian students. A few want to be photographers but most are aspiring fashion designers.

Explaining to the students the hows and whys of the way I work has been a real refresher for me. So many of the things that I do are instinctual, but verbalizing it to someone else really helps to restore my focus on the fun of my job/art.
The first day here we walked around Venice trying to shoot people in a similar way that I would in New York - it was a disaster. No one interesting to shoot, very hot and the students weren't really motivated. After a while we all sat down as a group and I tried to find out what they like to do when they have free time. Most all of them said that they like to go to the beach. So the next day we went to the beach.

I wanted to them to see that you don't have to separate having fun and taking pictures. I take pictures walking around on the street because I find it very relaxing and fun. What each student needed to do was to find what they were passionate about and try to capture that passion with images.

I tried to explain that if they want to become a fashion designer they should try to take photos that will inspire a certain feeling of a season, or a gesture, or a mood. The pictures that I took above are, to me, the essence of Summer. If I was a designer I would look at photos like this at the beginning of the spring design season, just to remember what it is that everyone loves about the sun, warmth, and vacation.

Comments on "The Lido with My Workshop Students, Venice"

 

Blogger Oh Dear Charlotte said ... (8:04 AM) : 

im always so interested when you write lots in your posts. its a rare treat.

http://ohdearcharlotte.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous dominga said ... (8:11 AM) : 

noooo i wish i would be there tooo :(( milan students are waiting for you to learn as much as possible from you!!!
PLEASE keep us updated:)
best

 

Anonymous Eric Hegwer said ... (8:14 AM) : 

Inspiration comes from the most unusual of places. How very creative to take what the students thought would be {fun} and turn it into a life-lesson. Well done indeed.

 

Blogger Sinatra's Shadow said ... (8:15 AM) : 

I wanted to ask you about how you take the photos wandering around the streets. Do you simply walk up to people and ask if they are willing to have their photo taken? Do you take the photo and then ask? How do people usually react when you ask?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:21 AM) : 

So graceful shots, I love how you get in tune with a true feeling and surrender to it. Sunny Side

 

Anonymous Alex said ... (8:22 AM) : 

I'm following you blog for quite a while, actually without being strongly involved in fashion and so on.
These pictures are amazing and make me wanna have sun/beach instead of office and hot berlin around me.

Thanks a lot for that short getaway..
Alex

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:24 AM) : 

The water in the last photo looks amazing. Interesting post.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:28 AM) : 

These photos are beautiful and feel very much like summer. Some great shots here. =].

 

Blogger kiKo said ... (8:29 AM) : 

Very interesting.

 

Anonymous Clare said ... (8:32 AM) : 

Very beautiful photos - you're lucky to have such attractive students, your job could've been made much harder!

 

Blogger Kyle said ... (8:35 AM) : 

So you took a bunch of attractive ladies to the beach? You sly dog.

Also, the photographs turned out very beautifully. Depicting the epitome of summer.

 

Blogger miss milki said ... (8:37 AM) : 

Beautiful photos - they really make me want to be there, splashing about in the sun. I love the second photo, the shape her hands make is so beautiful and elegant and I love the boat in the background.

 

Anonymous Merci Beaucoup said ... (8:37 AM) : 

This was probably one of the most beautiful, inspiring articles I've read in a long time.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:39 AM) : 

that second one is WOW!

 

Blogger patti said ... (8:43 AM) : 

these are amazing.

 

Anonymous nasne said ... (8:43 AM) : 

Wow! Sorry for my lack of vocabulary. I decided to go to beach today instead of shopping. Great photo as usual!

 

Blogger The Khaki Crusader said ... (8:44 AM) : 

Fantastic. Need an intern?

 

Anonymous dora said ... (8:50 AM) : 

oh, how envious i am...

 

Blogger Ruhvana and Flanelli said ... (8:51 AM) : 

I leve these. They immediately make me smile. They are so happy and relazed.

Ruhvana

 

Blogger Anita Puksic said ... (8:52 AM) : 

Now I just can't wait sea next week.
Sorry for my bad english (:

Peace and love!

 

Blogger Rico said ... (8:53 AM) : 

Breathtaking photos. I especially love the second one, with the ball aloft. It can be a profound thing to speak about one's own work because, as you mentioned, it makes one more aware of his/her process, motivations and habits. You're so right, these are iconic images that transcend time and place. Bravo.

 

Anonymous véronique said ... (8:55 AM) : 

You do habe sexy students ! Great pics,I would love to go to the beach today... The City is too sticky;

 

Blogger InStudio Blog said ... (8:58 AM) : 

Works for me!

 

Anonymous Laeti said ... (9:00 AM) : 

Wahou !! I would like to have a photography teacher like you ! It must be very cool and interesting !!

Lucky Venetian students !

 

Blogger Christina said ... (9:04 AM) : 

These are great tips. I've had a fascination with fashion since I was younger. It took me a while to learn that what people design and what people sometimes wear stems from moods, places, feelings, not just a necessity to put something on in the morning.

 

Blogger heleen said ... (9:05 AM) : 

A very interesting post, and I totally understand how verbalizing ideas and motives can restore focus on them.

These pictures are indeed the epitome of summer.

 

Anonymous 5ft0 said ... (9:07 AM) : 

Beautiful photos Sart! You've definitely captured the essence of summer in the picture =)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:09 AM) : 

All of the photos are beautiful but that second one is so graceful; even in the midst of play. I love it!

 

Blogger Cypriotchick said ... (9:10 AM) : 

wow that sounded not only like you had a good time but that u r obviously very passionate about ur art and about conveying that passion to others! what lucky students you have!

Cypriotchick
cypriotchick.blogspot.com

 

Blogger diane said ... (9:13 AM) : 

Great advice. They say that being self conscious is the death of fashion. The same is true with photography.
Love these shots.

 

Blogger Christiana said ... (9:16 AM) : 

Absolutely great photos.. And your ideas are so inspirational!! You should consider teaching at a university... I wish I could take part in that workshop because this post trully encourages motivation!

 

Anonymous ziolele said ... (9:18 AM) : 

second from top is amazing!

 

Blogger Victoria said ... (9:18 AM) : 

how imspiring :)

http://myheadoffice.blogspot.com/

xx

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:22 AM) : 

I think you are so right to advise them to take pictures of what is inspiring. I get asked very often where is my inspiration comming from in creating new designes. I always say - ispiration can come from anywhere: a cup of hot chocolate, blask & white cinema,unexpected romace, aroma of rare parfume...It is very valuable advice -to collect your inspirations.:-)))

 

Blogger The Curateur said ... (9:22 AM) : 

Absolutely stunning photos and just what I think of (or hope for) in summer.

May I ask what they're shot with?

 

Blogger Dutchbaby said ... (9:27 AM) : 

I adore the second photo. It achieves your goal by conveying summer fun and it is a great composition: her symmetric hands, the ship in the background and, best of all, the water, so liquid, reflecting her shadow in the foreground and mini bubbles hovering about.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:30 AM) : 

Beautiful photographs! Vintage style and really inspiring!

 

Anonymous greendress said ... (9:35 AM) : 

That is such excellent advice Sart: try to do what you love. If work isn't a chore, you just might succeed in doing it.

 

Blogger kayang said ... (9:36 AM) : 

those photographs are so great...The first one is perfect.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:39 AM) : 

I really appreciate you sharing your thought process. I totally get it ! Best, Robert Ballew

 

Blogger Rachel Power said ... (9:40 AM) : 

Such beautiful contrast in the shots. Water takes on a whole different quality in B&W--like something solid. What lucky students!

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (9:41 AM) : 

Great post.

I would invite you to my school for a lecture if I was the head of a university.

Fashion should ALWAYS be combined with a certain passion for something.

 

Anonymous Hanneli said ... (9:42 AM) : 

I love the pictures! And the explanation as well.

 

Blogger Matador Lucida said ... (9:44 AM) : 

i love your work. i admit i have only recently begun following what you create via these collected images. however, i say with certainty that these photographs move me.
cheers

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:48 AM) : 

beautifully stated!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:51 AM) : 

For me, the most difficult part of shooting strangers is to get them to act naturally. so many people dont want to have their picture taken or become uptight because they are afraid that their picture will look ugly or not the way they perceive themselfs...

any advice?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:51 AM) : 

I love the images and text. The first picture is specially beautiful in my opinion. Thank you. :) Have a great summer! (and mild winter when in São Paulo)

 

Anonymous old lady in a shoe said ... (9:53 AM) : 

As a teacher, I loved your reflective approach to a "disastrous lesson." But most of all, I loved your advice to designers for inspiration about summer: your pictures were wonderfully molten.

 

Blogger Mr Christopher said ... (9:55 AM) : 

Awesome photos Scott - I especially like the top one. Black and white beach shots look so stylish.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:56 AM) : 

Those images are absolutely stunning ...
I really enjoy the way the sartorialist approaches fashion - through the eyes of an artist, not a marketer.
A true inspiration.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:04 AM) : 

Bravissimo!!!

 

Blogger brandt said ... (10:07 AM) : 

Beautiful pictures!
The first two remind me of the things I love most about Bresson and Cecil Beaton...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:12 AM) : 

Your photography just gets better and better over the years! These are fantastic.

 

Blogger lis said ... (10:13 AM) : 

Wow, this photos are so stunning and very inspirational. I wish I could take your workshop..

 

Blogger JC said ... (10:13 AM) : 

Wow...that 2nd shot is amazing.

 

Blogger The Glorious Nosebleed said ... (10:18 AM) : 

The Gritti I suppose...
And congratulations : you captured a perfect summer day !

 

Blogger RW said ... (10:20 AM) : 

Great shoots as usual. Will you be having any workshops in NYC? I would love to attend.

 

Blogger gabrielazeanadal@hotmail.com said ... (10:30 AM) : 

GREAT POST!

I'd have never thought of summer as a b/n picture, but these have really changed my point of view, they really work!

Glad to see that you're having such a great time, to get payed for doing something you love is the way to go!

 

Blogger Gabriel Moncayo said ... (10:34 AM) : 

The pictures are beautiful, but what you say is very true, you can find inspiration in any image, especially images taken by the inspiration seeker himself... your images always move me

 

Anonymous Voon said ... (10:39 AM) : 

The first shot almost-dive capture is such a great summery shot!

The second shot is absolutely breathtaking and beyond excellent -- The white mini ripples around her waist as she is slightly raised after hitting the volleyball... her graceful hands (as if she was doing a bird shadow - but hands apart) is almost like a beautifully choreographed dance moment. The ball in midair and the texture of the ocean ripples completes this flawless picture. It even has a boat in the distance for added ambience.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:52 AM) : 

thank you. this is really inspiring!

 

Anonymous Amy said ... (11:03 AM) : 

I took a photography class once that really taught me to focus on a goal, rather than fly thru rolls and rolls of film (those were the days!) trying to catch the perfect shot. We were asked to study a friend for several days, then try to capture the perfect photo of them that expressed how we felt about them. While "study time" isn't always practical, it was a great exercise that forced me to understand what I loved about photography and how to look for that special moment.
If I wanted to be a designer I think I would do the oppposite: take lots of pictures and use them to help me "study" others...how they move in clothes, how they wear accessories, how bodies are shaped, what colors people are comfortable in etc.
I can see how you are caught in both worlds!

Thanks for today's post!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:03 AM) : 

WOULD LOVE TO SEE HOW THESE LOOK IN COLOR TOO!

 

Blogger Jem said ... (11:04 AM) : 

thank you for the wisdom, as an aspiring photographer it helps to learn from other photographers about ways to shoot. gorgous photographs btw... i love the second one so much!

 

Blogger Nikki - - Monomestile - - said ... (11:05 AM) : 

Your photos are like looking at a memory.
What school do these venice students go to? Because I'm jetting this lame school and jetting over there.

 

Blogger Hanna Persson said ... (11:07 AM) : 

I really like the second photo!

 

Blogger Soren Lorensen said ... (11:17 AM) : 

the top is my favourite, because of the sense of community I get from it

and the hands in the second photograph down are...terrifying, really.

 

Blogger Rachel @ The Haute Notes said ... (11:20 AM) : 

Amazing photographs!

I love how you said, "What each student needed to do was to find what they were passionate about and try to capture that passion with images." That is so true with photography.

These pictures truly are the essence of summer.

 

Blogger Em said ... (11:35 AM) : 

I love the diagonal line created in the frist picture...great composition, great post!

shy-em.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Diana said ... (12:01 PM) : 

Your "Girls of Summer" remind me (the colors and lights) of Don Henley´s Boys of Summer....
I don´t know why...it is only an impression..

Lucky lucky students....

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:10 PM) : 

i am so touched by this blog post. thank you for putting images to an emotion, and for reminding us to always make our passions our life.

 

Blogger Keli said ... (12:10 PM) : 

amazing pictures, fabulous post!

 

Blogger James Taylor said ... (12:25 PM) : 

I'm surprised these girls want to be designers... when they make such great models!

These photographs are timeless. When I saw the first one I thought it was from an old book you'd found. The second photo is my favorite. I've never seen water look so inviting in black & white.

It's true what you say about verbalizing your craft. I used to teach English to Italians in Florence, and talking at length about my life actually proved very therapeutic for me, and fascinating to students. Their responses helped me recognize things about myself I might not have realized on my own.

 

Blogger KP said ... (12:30 PM) : 

These are utterly stunning, and have made a rather dull and grey day that much brighter.
You are inspirational.

 

Anonymous funeral parade said ... (12:45 PM) : 

i am a designer dedicated to my next adventure & the one thing i was taught in schooling and by my mother [who is also a seamstress] is.. you know you are a true designer when you look at anything and can create something beautiful from it. inspiration is everywhere. i truly agree with this post. i love love love this.

 

Blogger Renata said ... (12:54 PM) : 

there are BEAUTIFUL

 

Anonymous Sarah Y said ... (12:59 PM) : 

I love your posts, always have and they always remind why I have always loved photography. Have only ever been a hobby of mine, nothing more and even though I never used to be into the fashion side, this blog has lead me to look into street fashion much more.
Such a delightful post. Thankyou. :D

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:15 PM) : 

What lucky students, who wouldn't love to do a workshop on the beach? Beautiful images and beautiful words accompanying them!

 

Blogger whyioughtta said ... (1:15 PM) : 

Wise words and beautiful images...the second shot looks like a strange, lovely water creature...

 

Blogger CyborgCoquette said ... (1:37 PM) : 

The photos are gorgeous. I love the posture in the second one!

...you wouldn't happen to be holding a class in the San Francisco area any time soon, would you? :)

 

Blogger Ashley said ... (1:53 PM) : 

Beautiful photos. I love that they're in black and white. Its refreshing to not see posing and just natural gestures and genuine joy.

http://fashionroadkill-halifax.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Maria Confer said ... (1:54 PM) : 

What gorgeous pictures! Your post is awesome. It's wonderful to be able to learn a bit about what inspires an artist and how they view their work!! I really enjoyed this and learned a lot!!

Thanks!! XOXO

 

Blogger esther said ... (1:57 PM) : 

that first shot looks like "more bars in more places." maybe you and AT&T can strike up a deal...
:)
love these.

 

Anonymous sofia said ... (2:02 PM) : 

I was in Venice today!! I was hping to see u while I was walking to the university!! Bad luck :)
Love the photos

 

Blogger rosemary said ... (2:04 PM) : 

love these, but where are your shots from berlin?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:15 PM) : 

The third photograph looks like a ballet~~this collection is stunning and especially in b&w. You truly have a gift!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:15 PM) : 

Scott, you are AMAZING. I'm definitely digging what you've said about finding your passion and trying to capture that through image.

That second image is gorgeous, btw.

 

Blogger ZEPETIT said ... (2:32 PM) : 

Lovely photos!

Zepequeña.

 

Blogger Shelley Noble said ... (2:52 PM) : 

Brilliant advice and insight. No wonder you are successful.

 

Blogger robinbenito said ... (2:58 PM) : 

maybe redundant, but kudos for these shots! especially the first one!

 

Blogger denny wong said ... (3:06 PM) : 

Amazing pictures! They are so beautiful o_O

 

Blogger Miss Red Socks said ... (3:53 PM) : 

So true, these photos really inspire the feeling of summer; people who are out in the sun and just relaxing and having a blast. I'm an aspiring fashion designer so I will totally think about what you said! Love this post :)

 

Blogger dd said ... (4:11 PM) : 

Amazing pictures! i love the light, dark, shaddow, black, white...you can almost see the air in them...just great!! thank you

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:13 PM) : 

Have you thought about doing a workshop in London? I would love the chance to take it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:13 PM) : 

"If I were a designer I would look at photos like this at the beginning of the spring design season, just to remember what it is that everyone loves about the sun, warmth, and vacation."—n.b., subjunctive conditional.

Pedantry aside: these photos are super awesome!!!

 

Anonymous Aim Green said ... (4:34 PM) : 

Mister, you are brilliant indeed...I'm truly amazed...thank you for such an insightful post...your pictures are captivating as always...I shall return

Aim Green

 

Blogger J. said ... (4:43 PM) : 

I think it is your ability to capture emotions rather than "an outfit" that inspires all of us. Thank you for doing what you do.

I also love reading your thoughts. They are as captivating as your photos!

 

Anonymous Xris said ... (5:22 PM) : 

Scott,
I truly admire your work. You make it look so easy.

BTW- Came across this.

Wondering if you would like to comment on the guy in the BG? A sartorialist captures The Sartorialist.

Cheers,
Chris

 

Anonymous Roth and Ko. said ... (5:55 PM) : 

The top photo could be an ad for AT&T ("More bars in more places.") Killing two birds with one stone, Sart?

 

Blogger nothing said ... (6:00 PM) : 

The black and white is really different from you, but it's great.

 

Blogger James Jean said ... (6:02 PM) : 

Great words of wisdom....and photos to boot. The black and white just makes it more nostalgic.

 

Blogger Sputnik said ... (6:05 PM) : 

especially like the second picture, they're amazing!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:52 PM) : 

I have to say it's a beautiful photographer's philosophy. Thank you for your advice and beautiful images.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:00 PM) : 

simply amazing!!!

 

Blogger Lapetitefille said ... (7:15 PM) : 

i like this pictures!! i think i see you in givenchy show at Paris.

 

Blogger chahal said ... (7:31 PM) : 

These pictures are art. Beautiful.
And if I think of what pictures from my day at the beach usually look like. **cringe**

 

Blogger Nick Leonard said ... (7:37 PM) : 

That second photo is so epic...wow.

 

Blogger Caity180 said ... (7:39 PM) : 

These photos are stunning. You've definitely captured the moment. xx

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:44 PM) : 

Inspiring insight.

 

Blogger Clarity said ... (7:54 PM) : 

Is that the quintessential Summer for you? I must admit you captured the light, the shade, the unposed laughter.

Summer for me is reading a book in a hammok and turning the pages with pink-stained fingers from eating strawberries.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:13 PM) : 

These are stunning photos. They are some of my favorite photos from your site. Absolutely beautiful.

Thank you for sharing them with us!

 

Blogger robyn said ... (8:26 PM) : 

these pictures are absolute perfection.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:42 PM) : 

BRILLIANT!

 

Anonymous Allan Bacon said ... (10:04 PM) : 

Scott - I love your style and your eye for interesting people.

Tell me more about "how you shoot in New York" - do you interact with your subjects? do you just take their photos on the sly? what do you say to them to get them to pose?

Keep up the great posts - I open every one!

- Allan Bacon

 

Blogger cathy said ... (10:17 PM) : 

thank you for sharing such smart words.

 

Anonymous Bombshell Kitten said ... (10:55 PM) : 

The shots are amazing and truly epitomize 'summer'. Your students should be honored to have such a great mentor!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:07 PM) : 

horrible volleying form

 

Blogger allison said ... (11:42 PM) : 

so gorgeous!!

xoxo
aliveinbluesandgreys.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Stephanie Clayton said ... (11:59 PM) : 

summer in all its warmth, sparkle and spontaneity, perfectly captured here in black and white.
i certainly enjoyed reading the story behind these images.

 

Blogger noelakadjtambour said ... (12:11 AM) : 

as they say...all work and no play...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:20 AM) : 

these are my FAVOURITE on your blog!
better than all those chic photos of people on the streets.

 

Blogger Craig Curtis said ... (12:28 AM) : 

Smart Words. Smart Pics. You're The Tops!

 

Blogger Teresa-Victoria said ... (12:33 AM) : 

Beautiful photography, I love the first and second images. x

 

Blogger Brigadeiro said ... (1:45 AM) : 

What a gorgeous post! And it's not just the beautiful pics...love it! :)
xx

 

Blogger Mai-Thi said ... (2:13 AM) : 

thank you,
for this.

 

Blogger Vianna Tandriani said ... (3:19 AM) : 

BEAUTIFUL PICS!!!
i'm one of your fan from Indonesia. :)

 

Blogger Jenn said ... (3:25 AM) : 

Job well done. But an un-named cell phone company might try to buy or copy the first picture. Scott, I think this is a great set of pictures. They are free and full of life and energy. Thanks for sharing!
-J

 

Blogger Joy Mars said ... (4:09 AM) : 

I would like to take one of your workshops!

How do I find out about them?

 

Blogger Wolfgang said ... (4:26 AM) : 

Purely amazing! So much fun portrayed through these images. :D

 

Blogger Comme des nantaises said ... (4:34 AM) : 

I love these pics Scott! I also took what is for me essence of summer in my blog, 2 cute young boys surfing in French west coast.

Thanks for making your work public.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:53 AM) : 

Why do you never answer any technical questions posed on this blog, like camera model, lens, aperture, post production etc? Some of us really follow this blog to learn photography, so it would help immensely. Are you trying to keep it a trade secret, or is there another reason? Would love an answer.
I use alot of b/w photography, it really sticks out amongst all the color photography around. Has a different impact, a feel of the past. These are REALLY good!

 

Blogger Olviya said ... (5:56 AM) : 

so nice to have such teacher like you... that can help just to realise some simple but important things...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:03 AM) : 

I have no words to express how wonderful the pictures are....They should be in a book

 

Blogger Agyesh said ... (6:20 AM) : 

but you took away the sun, warmth and vacation by turning them into black and white images.. :-(

 

Anonymous Neil Sharman said ... (7:02 AM) : 

Love these shots, great imagination!

Neil
http://campaign-design.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger joshylola said ... (8:06 AM) : 

Refreshing pictures

 

Blogger Simo said ... (8:12 AM) : 

What about a workshop in Amsterdam????????

http://www.simolino.blogspot.com/

Merci bcp to stop by my little blog ,-)

 

Blogger Gwen said ... (8:46 AM) : 

True essence of summer and inspirational. I like very much the idea of capturing a feeling or mood with photography.

 

Blogger x o said ... (9:29 AM) : 

The second photograph is stunning. Beautifully composed, and the boat in the background is delightful!

 

Blogger glaSSa ~ ~ said ... (9:32 AM) : 

ow, hi!
i've always luved ur blog and i recently posted one of ur recent pics on my own new blog ..
obviously i gave credits, hope u dont mind!


luv,
KS

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:59 AM) : 

the picture of the woman about to hit the ball is incredible...how you captured the positioning of her hands is perfect...thank you.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:21 AM) : 

These are extraordinary. Really unforgettable. What lucky students you have!

 

Blogger Maria Grineva said ... (10:31 AM) : 

This is so beautiful! Thank you very much , it is a good life lesson :)

 

Blogger Love + Cake said ... (10:33 AM) : 

This is sooo cool!! Do you do more workshops around the world? Any in the states?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:24 AM) : 

Beautiful pictures! They make me want to be in Italy!

 

Blogger Jamie Jonathan Ball said ... (11:28 AM) : 

very inspiring and also very great shots! Glad to hear this is how you have fun :) thanks for all

x

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:42 AM) : 

ooooh! I would love to take a workshop from you!!!

Kim,
www.runwayrundown.com

 

Blogger Hermione said ... (4:40 PM) : 

Great shots!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:08 PM) : 

Amazing pictures! Also, I like how you think about photography.

 

Blogger B. said ... (5:24 PM) : 

oh, The Sartorialist do speaks! : )
Well, you says so much with yours photos words seems unnecessary but actually it feels so good reading your post.

 

Blogger Gabriela Francuz said ... (5:40 PM) : 

Beautiful photos!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:15 PM) : 

i'm thinking bruce weber ... divine

 

Anonymous Kate said ... (6:21 PM) : 

Great pictures! ... and thanks for stating that you didn't see any interesting people in the streets. I'm just back from Venice (Tuesday, almost crossed paths ;-) ) and I found the lack of interesting people astonishing but thought it was my fault not to spot any.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:50 PM) : 

You are at Lido di Venezia? I can't imagine swimming there as the water quality is quite poor, even on the Adriatic side. Regardless, beautiful and inspiring photos! -Chiara

 

Anonymous cordelia said ... (7:31 PM) : 

Wonderful wonderful photographs! Even more beautiful as you tell us it's the charming lido (we can even see the not so bluish waters) and divine Venice!
Congratulations, thanks.

 

Blogger Barbara said ... (9:18 PM) : 

great photos. nice change!

 

Anonymous Edos said ... (9:35 PM) : 

The pics are really great, i like them.

 

Anonymous S said ... (9:41 PM) : 

Sart, these BW pictures of horizon in the background are simply beautiful. Would love to read more often about tips, techniques and what drives you.

 

Blogger frank adam said ... (10:11 PM) : 

Summer perfection! I love it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:27 PM) : 

I can't tell you how much I like these shots - the second one especially (although I seem not to be alone in that). The composition is just spot on and I love her hands.

 

Anonymous Samantha Adler said ... (12:34 AM) : 

i saw this post, and it led me to create my own quintessential summer shot

 

Blogger Super Milk-Chan said ... (12:44 AM) : 

I always love your photography, but your skill for artistic composition and contrast really shows here. I'd love to see you do more black and whites like this. It really illustrates your talent in a way that color can't, and the contrast in style is truly fascinating.

 

Blogger Mom Fashion World said ... (1:06 AM) : 

Hi!
This is my first time to visit your site.
and I'm so inspired after reading you biography.
I'm a marketing graduate too but I've never really practice my course yet.

By the way, I love your pictures!
you're a great photographer too!

http://momfashionworld.blogspot.com/

http://momfashionworld.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Mark T said ... (4:34 AM) : 

Blimey, Scott, this are your best yet. They remind me of Jacques-Henri Lartigue's Riviera shots. Bravo.

 

Blogger Sophie said ... (5:12 AM) : 

such great pictures.. really inspiring!

 

Anonymous clémence said ... (5:27 AM) : 

Were your pics taken in the 40's?

It seems so!

Beautiful

 

Blogger Hickers said ... (5:37 AM) : 

Sart, your life sucks.

 

Anonymous Linn Emilie said ... (5:54 AM) : 

great pictures as always :D

 

Blogger Johanna said ... (10:54 AM) : 

Love how timeless these photos are. From the look of them, they could've been taken 50 years ago or yesterday.

Glad you're having a good time over there. Happy 4th of July from the Midwest.

best,
Johanna

 

Blogger GingerSnap said ... (12:41 PM) : 

These photos are breathe taking... It makes me want to be there! :)

 

Blogger Tristan said ... (12:57 PM) : 

i've reread this post a dozen times.
it so perfectly worded. it's helped me feel even more comfortable in the direction i've taken my career in photography.

never slow down scott.
cheers

 

Blogger seawallrunner said ... (12:59 PM) : 

Your photos are timeless. I don't know if the shots were taken in 2009 or in 1950.

Reminds me of moments in beautiful old Italian movies. Visconti... Fellini...

You have captured timeless joy on a beautiful summer day. And now, we share this joy with you.

 

Blogger Maggie said ... (1:05 PM) : 

heart-stoppingly beautiful. thank you.

 

Blogger Suzanne said ... (1:06 PM) : 

That first picture is so artistic AND joyful. It makes life seem all the more beautiful to see it captured like that.

 

Anonymous Allie said ... (2:04 PM) : 

I think these are the best pictures I've ever seen on this blog. I mean, the streetstyle pictures are fantastic too, but these are so full of life it hurts to look.

 

Anonymous david said ... (2:10 PM) : 

These are some very beatiful shots. Good Job!

 

Blogger Candace said ... (3:04 PM) : 

What a great group of b&w photos...they depict summertime in such a simple and timeless manner. I love!

 

Anonymous sirikid said ... (4:26 PM) : 

The second and third picture remind me a bit of Leni Riefenstahl. After all - she was a good photographer.

 

Blogger Alan Nei said ... (5:14 PM) : 

beautiful beautiful pictures !!
hugs from sao paulo
alan

 

Blogger SallyO said ... (5:16 PM) : 

Happy Independence Day, U.S.A.!!!!
O.K., now back to Italy...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:52 PM) : 

I love your blog, and your pictures. "I take pictures walking around on the street because I find it very relaxing and fun" - yes, we can see it on your pics, they are so natural and happy! Huge kisses from Brazil!!!!!

 

Blogger whelkpoint said ... (12:20 AM) : 

Your photos this month have been superb!

 

Anonymous Catherine said ... (12:25 AM) : 

Encouraging students to be the best version of who they are (and what they enjoy doing) instead of just mimicking their professor's vision, is an ego-free approach to teaching. High five for getting that.

And those pictures are slammin', of course.

 

Blogger ROB said ... (2:29 AM) : 

these are STUNNING!

 

Anonymous alivenkickn said ... (2:43 AM) : 

shooting . . . . aiming at - trigger . . . and PENG dead you are . . . .

to photograph people on the street is - after my experience - easier said than done. actually it s communicating in a very direct, private and intimate way, a way you normaly are communicating with friends. people on the streets are strangers first. and to approach strangers, to overcome psychological barrier´s that might excist within oneself needs time and guts. that s my experience at last.
once you accomplished that - eye contact, SMILING (the door opener) at the person realising his or her reaction and taking a picture all within a split second . . . . yeah fotographing people is fun.

 

Anonymous Mariona said ... (3:08 AM) : 

Fantastic editing, your sensitivity, your ability to appreciate beauty wherever you go for me is impeccable and your photos tell a lot about you and transmit !!!!!!!!!!!!! FROM BCN

 

Blogger Frannie said ... (4:03 AM) : 

So true. These pictures surely do inspire images and feelings of summer. So well put. You're awesome!!

 

Blogger The Velvet Scientist said ... (4:28 AM) : 

absolutely lovely - your words as well as the photos. well done indeed.

x

 

Blogger The Fashion Jungle said ... (6:23 AM) : 

ooooh! i'm venitian and its so funny to see the Lido from your point of vew! I must say that I'm a bit jealous!

 

Blogger Tiphaine said ... (6:49 AM) : 

Those photos are really beautiful !

mainchicavenue.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:19 AM) : 

Your understanding and connection to the photographs via the written word is important to readers. You are able to capture the moment in a way that I have not seen before. Thank you.

 

Anonymous babie said ... (11:10 AM) : 

The second and the third photos are ruined (for me) by the inclination of the sea at the horizon. I can't stand seas going downhill:-D

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:13 AM) : 

verifying

 

Anonymous Funkidivagirl said ... (12:10 PM) : 

Great photos and great advice to your students!

 

Blogger Chelsea Bryan Knights said ... (12:30 PM) : 

These photos are absolutely flawless. The lighting is immaculate and I love that they're in black and white, because for me it gives a timeless quality to the feeling of summer that you captured. I'm exploring the possibilities of becoming a fashion designer, and the endless Summer that I see here inspires me to design a swimsuit. Maybe I'll post a swimwear design on my blog tonight!

- Chelsea Bryan Knights
http://chelseabryanknights.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous joanne said ... (2:07 PM) : 

Amazing! I'm extra love the second picture.

 

Blogger Topham Beauclerk said ... (4:25 PM) : 

More please. (They do indeed evoke Lartigue.)

 

Anonymous elina said ... (4:29 PM) : 

I just found your blog and it's amazing ! :)

 

Blogger Karoline said ... (5:32 PM) : 

This photos are stunning! It is so nice to see some beautiful art, I have missed it!

 

Blogger Anthea said ... (11:05 PM) : 

Love these black and whites and the fact that you are sharing your skills and knowledge with others.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting