This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Style Profile...Romney Leader, NYC

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Style Profile...Romney Leader, NYC


Romney Leader

Job?
Associate Fashion Editor, Style.com

Best Sartorial advice from your parents?
Never be afraid to do your own thing.

Style icons?
Tina Chow, Anita Pallenberg, Iris Apfel

Describe your personal style...
Constantly evolving! I tend to have a favorite piece or silhouette I wear constantly until something else catches my eye. I also hate looking like I put much thought into it or looking too ‘done.’ Style-wise it’s a mix of everything that’s influenced me aesthetically: growing up in Texas, living and working in New York, and all of the music and cultures I took a liking to in my early years.

I build my daily look around?
Comfort, for sure - and my schedule for the day. If I’m not wearing flats or boots I have a pair close at hand, and even though I hate the cold weather I love the way the right coat adds the finishing touch to a look.

Personal Style quirk?
I nick pants and shirts from my boyfriend’s closet constantly, and I don’t think there’s such a thing as jewelry that’s too chunky.

Favorite designers?
Ann Demeulemeester, Yohji Yamamoto, Martin Margiela…anyone who does their own thing and is effortlessly on point without coming across as overly trendy.

Most cherished item?
My engagement ring and my grandfather’s felt fedora.

Never caught wearing?
Halter tops.

Most underrated item in menswear/womenswear?
The perfectly tailored woven shirt, the slouchy trouser, and the leather biker jacket.

Dress to impress who?
Strangers or my boss…ha…though really it’s my own reflection I’m most after.

Flats or heels?
I’m a huge advocate of flats- I don’t think heels necessarily make you look more put together.

Favorite stores?
Barneys for one-stop; Camden Market or one of the many vintage stores along the Texas highways for treasures, and sample sales…

Your next "must have" purchase?
Ann Demeulemeester lace-up open boots, a Lanvin silk trench, one of the Dries Van Noten metallic ball necklaces, and a pair of those Dolce silk “pajama” pants.

I skimp when buying ...
If I’m test-driving a trend (say, harem pants) I head to Zara. I also cheap out on leggings, scarves, and denim.

I splurge on...
Sweaters, pants, woven shirts- anything that benefits from tailoring and luxe fabrics.

Favorite item of clothing?
Currently: ultra wide-leg cropped pants from 3.1, black Balenciaga sweater that flares out at the sides, and a wool military-inspired vest from Camilla & Marc.

Favorite fashion magazines?
Vogue and Teen Vogue

Favorite (style) books?
I find home décor books more inspiring than anything, especially ones like ‘Tony Duquette.’

Favorite stylish movies?
The Royal Tenenbaums and Annie Hall.

Favorite vacation spot?
Vieques, PR and the south of France.

Favorite neighborhood restaurant?
Diner and Aurora (both in Williamsburg).

Labels:

Comments on "Style Profile...Romney Leader, NYC"

 

Blogger caroline duke said ... (5:36 PM) : 

holy crap. whims of fashion, romney, whims of fashion. never forget.

p.s. you look great.

caroline

 

Blogger Pretty Lovely said ... (5:49 PM) : 

What a great interview -- always looking to find out what inspires others.

xx,

Sam @PrettyLovely

 

Blogger MM said ... (5:49 PM) : 

I love it!
BTW , I've been going through all of your archives.
`You're my favourite blog you're on "worth a visit list"
www.fashion-intervention.blogspot.com

 

Blogger janefrances said ... (5:56 PM) : 

find the style profiles really interesting...love to read what inspires others.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:59 PM) : 

Love the outfit. So textured. So classic.

ryanmulkey.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Zarna said ... (6:00 PM) : 

this is great, i love the interview and would love to see more :)

-zarna
(http://zarnasrunway.blogspot.com)

 

Blogger Rita said ... (6:10 PM) : 

Love the coat and the bag soooo much!

 

Blogger Anna said ... (6:16 PM) : 

Love her style! Really interesing and inspiring!

 

Blogger junglesiren said ... (6:19 PM) : 

She is perfectly charming. I love the chapeau and the bag.

 

Blogger Sartorial Vancouver said ... (6:46 PM) : 

Scott,

Thanks for the style profiles. It is a precious glimpse into the lives of those who grace the Sartorialist.

 

Blogger Brigadeiro said ... (6:58 PM) : 

Great interview, loved reading her answers. Love coats too, and Romney's is gorgeous, and how I wish I could get my hands on the DVN necklace she mentioned! :)
xx

 

Anonymous Camilla said ... (7:30 PM) : 

This is great -- thanks to both of you for sharing!

On the look here: it's inspiring to me not in the sense that I want to reproduce it (or any specific part of it), but rather in the sense that she's truly expressing herself through her attire. These objects have meaning for her. And also she knows exactly what suits her--the colors are perfect for her skin and hair. So I guess the lesson is: to thine own self be true. And have fun!

 

Blogger Alegna said ... (7:41 PM) : 

Great interview. I love her hat, coat, and shirt. Not big on the pants but I like that she likes to take risks. I never thought of the Royal Tannebaums as a "style" movie. That's interesting, I have to look at it again.

As always very inspiring.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:43 PM) : 

I really love when people talk about their style - their inspirations, their favorite looks, key pieces - everything that makes their look individual. I hope to read more of these!

 

Blogger Arlenesfelt said ... (7:50 PM) : 

Thanks for putting a voice to one of your wonderful photos. I think one of the greatest artistic expression is how one puts oneself together. I just love your blog. I check in daily and always leave with a smile.

 

Anonymous hrhkat said ... (7:56 PM) : 

The royal Tenenbaums are my style inspiration movie, its so classic yet hippie yet pulled together. Nothing says personal style quite like head to toe red tracksuit or constantly wearing a mink coat even in the summer.

 

Blogger Pascal Grob said ... (8:11 PM) : 

very interesting to read and the outfit <3

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:38 PM) : 

I love the fresh and innocent
quality! Thank you.

 

Blogger postmenon said ... (8:56 PM) : 

I loved this picture when you first posted it - great to hear from the brain behind it! Gorgeous style, what a wonderful and healthy way to think about fashion.

 

Anonymous Minna K said ... (9:17 PM) : 

Like the style profile - It's great to study her style and guess what she likes, then scroll down to read the actual.

 

Anonymous sanmiguelense said ... (9:19 PM) : 

I'm going to say right now that THAT tweed coat -not too bulky, not too long-will be the coat for next Fall.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:33 PM) : 

=) love the hat

http://jozeextravaganza.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Oh Dear Charlotte said ... (9:36 PM) : 

adore! great necklace/coat/hat/shoes. accessorising is the key!

http://ohdearcharlotte.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Acorn Dandelion and Rose said ... (9:55 PM) : 

Oh I love that bag!! Do you know what it is? She is adorable and please thank her for advocating flats!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:13 PM) : 

This is great. I will reread it several times, and like the commenter above, I'm also grateful for the endorsement of flats. But this post would be even better with some other pictures of her outfits. In other words, I want to see more!

 

Blogger ++MIRA++ said ... (11:36 PM) : 

yay! finally someone not stomping around in trib toooos and advocating for flats instead.
that neckchain(there is nothing lace about it) is zonkers.

adore!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:28 AM) : 

Nice to see insight into interesting people...she is an original and the Tenenbaums are the bomb!!! Nice girl nice shot--thanks Sart!

 

Anonymous fashionpersonality said ... (1:02 AM) : 

Nice outfit. I love the bag.

 

Anonymous Roth & Ko. said ... (1:12 AM) : 

Thought the first. Romney Leader, what a kooky name. She was born to run Mitt's 2012 presidential election campaign.

Thought the second. Yes! She has done exactly what she set out to do: She looks perfect without looking like she tried too hard. Brava. A gem.

 

Anonymous Tara Germain said ... (1:45 AM) : 

More Style Profiles please. This is excellent!

 

Blogger daisy kate said ... (6:19 AM) : 

"I nick pants and shirts from my boyfriend’s closet constantly, and I don’t think there’s such a thing as jewelry that’s too chunky."
That is a sentiment so safe and true! I love how unique this girl is, and how lovely does she come across too? Wardrobe and style envy!
Kate♥
www.fashionaphylactics.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous sofie said ... (7:03 AM) : 

I really love her shoes!

 

Blogger Ruhvana and Flanelli said ... (7:42 AM) : 

It's nice to have more information about the person in the photo sometimes. I just wish there were more photos of her looks:).

 

Anonymous suzanne nelson said ... (7:52 AM) : 

Thanks Sart and Miss Leader for a great post! Style profiles are good - more please!

 

Anonymous Garrett said ... (8:41 AM) : 

Haven't seen a profile in a while. I miss these!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:56 AM) : 

Mr Sartorialist - as always thanks for keeping it real

Romney - You rock!

Royal Tenenbaums, Iris Apfel, and Anita Palenberg! 3 of my favorites!
I also like the honesty on the what do you skimp on....cause we all skimp on something.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:58 AM) : 

Hope you'll do more profiles like this. Will they be in your book as well ? I really enjoyed this - her style is so personal . Thank you Sir.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:29 AM) : 

Love the Q and A. It is nice to hear about the inspirations and thoughts behind what people wear. Please do more of these Q and A.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:30 AM) : 

Kudos to Ms. Leader on her exceptionally good articulation of personal style. As a sometime stylist--I have a real job too--I give new clients a list of questions similar to what's asked here, and plenty of time to provide answers. I've learned not to be surprised when people have no clear vision of the image they want to project. Of course, if they did, they likely wouldn't need my services....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:09 AM) : 

The Royal Tenenbaums/ Annie Hall! This lady knows her shit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:15 AM) : 

thank you thank you thank you for this!
someone with unique style instead of flocking in trend.
love the interview, please do more!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:17 AM) : 

ROYAL TENENBAUMS is a very stylish movie, and not just because of the outfits. The rosy pink set design, the leopard-spotted animals (was it bunnies? I forget--or maybe it was mice), the tent in the bedroom, the hippie chic decor. All inspiring. And the mink and smudgy eyes on Gwyneth P. rocked out! Not to mention Owen Wilson painting his face Mexican wrestler style to ram the Tenenbaum house.

 

Blogger Jacqueline said ... (11:52 AM) : 

adorable! i love that bag (where is it from?!) and her style is so sweet. thank you for the profile, sart!

 

Blogger Amra said ... (12:05 PM) : 

19th century english boy outfit... lovely!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:18 PM) : 

Finally someone who appreciates COMFORT in womenswear, is NOT teetering on 5 inches heels - and still looks great!

 

Blogger BlumeBloom said ... (4:18 PM) : 

Just one word! Texas!
All good things come from there!

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (10:40 PM) : 

I like these interviews. Good post!

 

Blogger Fabio Bucciardini said ... (3:23 AM) : 

love this look

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:35 AM) : 

I find these interviews one of the most interesting thing about your blog. Having an image followed by an interview makes the person come alive for me. Could you please post more of these if you have the time?

 

Blogger jpigage said ... (2:41 PM) : 

She looks like Pam from off of the Office

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:47 PM) : 

the romney from whims of fashion. hilarious... you're killing that outfit!

 

Anonymous meliss said ... (6:14 AM) : 

I'm digging the whole outfit, especially the Anya Hindmarch bag. Please do style profiles more often!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:46 PM) : 

its really normal looking.

 

Anonymous janice said ... (9:28 AM) : 

hilarious that the whims of fashion crew circa '00 is coming together via this..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:25 AM) : 

hey romney, you look great!love it! we can't wait to see you again! soon!

 

Blogger Luke Warner said ... (9:33 PM) : 

I'm so happy she mentioned Annie Hall, that was the first thing I thought of when I saw this picture. In a good way!

 

Blogger Shaynuh said ... (1:07 PM) : 

She really embraces individuality and creativity...the two things very important in the world of fashion =)

 

Anonymous Romney said ... (6:26 AM) : 

I never thought i would see it, another Romney! And what a gorgeous, individual woman, so inspiring! Love, Romney

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:49 PM) : 

I've fallen in love with this bag, so I had to buy one for me. Fortunately, it's happened to be on sale right now at www.anyahindmarch.com (50% off), definitely worth it's money.

PS. Thanks to you Mr Sart I have the courage to wear my clothes the way I want, not I was told to.

All the best from Poland. Yes, there are your readers too.

Mostowska

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:32 AM) : 

great to read another style profile after a long time. she seems to be a great balance of fashion and style, and also a balance of achievable and aspirational. quite grounded.

 

Blogger FIXED BAYONET METAL SOLDIERS said ... (12:56 PM) : 

Shes a style leader? Of What? =tramps

 

Anonymous Ljerka-Susanna-Lukic said ... (3:29 PM) : 

INTERESTING!!!
Susan,Designer&Writer
Toronto

 

Anonymous Aspiring citizen of the world, M. said ... (5:45 PM) : 

Interesting interview, especially the part of her favorite places...Vieques, PR is quite exquisite. There is another little island close to Vieques called Culebra which I believe to be even more beautiful...hope you have the chance to come and meet it personally. Cheers.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting