This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street......Outerwear/Jacket Hybrid, Florence

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

On the Street......Outerwear/Jacket Hybrid, Florence




When I was in Florence for Pitti Uomo I kept seeing this outerwear/jacket hybrid. Cut small like a sportcoat and maybe just slightly shorter than the actual sportcoat, this combo has the potential to creates a great visual mix of patterns and textures.

Comments on "On the Street......Outerwear/Jacket Hybrid, Florence"

 

Blogger hc said ... (10:01 AM) : 

plaid scarves have been overused and abused...the no belt look is appropriate has a couple months left

 

Blogger AG said ... (10:02 AM) : 

On the first picture I am not quite sure about the combination. Something about the colors makes it seem more out of haste then taste.

From what I can see in the second gentleman it seems to be a better fit colorwise... also little details like the purple socks make it seem more put together in the disheveled way fashion calls for.

Seems like a gutsy move, but if you can pull it off it would offer a lot more options.

 

Blogger Julicious Fashionicious said ... (10:06 AM) : 

I like your grey trousers and even these bright purple socks are looking nice with beige shoes.
But in first men look,The tie looks superfluous,because he has nice scarf.

 

Blogger stylethread said ... (10:24 AM) : 

very cool. it reminds me of when I wear jackets over my dresses where just a bit of hem pops out. or vented jacket sleeves where a frilly cuff is exposed.

~ stylethread.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:28 AM) : 

I love the purple socks!

Thank you Sart

 

Blogger romanastas said ... (10:31 AM) : 

socks are impressive with these shoes and grey colour of trousers:)

 

Blogger The Louche said ... (10:49 AM) : 

Fantastic. When will we get to see the piece on Anderson & Shepard?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:56 AM) : 

LOVELY! Love the purple socks peeking out!

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (11:05 AM) : 

I've never been a fan of those elbow thingy's!
But the overall look of his coat looks very good!

 

Blogger Jorge from W Palm Beach said ... (11:06 AM) : 

I think the fewer horizontal lines between waist and hips, the better. I agree that it offers additional possibilities, like in the first example of a plaid underneath a solid, but I would limit this look to the very very slim. Does it work for the cold weather? I would rather wear a longer thinner coat that protected all my "vitals" from the wind. Great clothes on these gents, though. Jorge from W Palm Beach

 

Blogger Shadan said ... (11:17 AM) : 

i love the red shoes on the right side!

oh, and of course those purple socks are "love at first sight"!

:)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:28 AM) : 

You are so right! They use those jackets all the time and I've seen a couple of them in NY too, but the owners were italians... seriously, they are superconfortable and you feel really warm inside... Smart people, those italians!
X

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:32 AM) : 

Not keen on the jackets so much, but the socks and shoes are great, as well as the shoes to the side of him. I say accessories are the key to the best looks.

 

Blogger Cherry Junkie said ... (11:53 AM) : 

This man is so Ralph Lauren, whether he realises it or not -- I mean that as a compliment. I love the elbow patch jacket. I have an obsession for them and it's a shame they rarely make nice ones for women. I like the deliberate contrast between the yellow pants and the purple socks. *oooh*

 

Blogger John Rowbie said ... (12:12 PM) : 

I would agree with Mr Palm Beach - the dual jacket would only be suitable for very slim people. I like the patches on the jacket as they add an interesting contrast to the jacket. I've noticed that in the past 3 years, elbow patches have become more common, even extending to jumpers. I see this more in Florence, but a lessor extent in London, Rome and Milan. There is no doubt that the Florentine men are the best dressed men in Italy and proabably the rest of Europe.

 

Blogger American Otaku (E is my SL) said ... (12:13 PM) : 

a man is not a man until he buys his first pink shirt... or in this case his first pair of purple socks!

 

Blogger cras4 said ... (12:15 PM) : 

I love coats designed after riding ones with elbow pads

 

Blogger junglesiren said ... (12:15 PM) : 

I like the layered flap jackets and am fine with it becoming a "thing". I don't even mind the elbow patches.

I'm not into the "thing" of the short, narrow pant leg high enough to show sock. It's just not very masculine. I shudder when I see men over 25 doing it.

That the color combo in the bottom - beige shoe, purple sock, and gray pant - is fantastic.

 

Blogger Deka said ... (12:22 PM) : 

kind of jcrew-ish
i love elbow patches!

 

Blogger Kay said ... (12:24 PM) : 

I totally agree with you.
There are so many different colours and textures going on in the outfit but the obvious fashion slant presented by the jacket layering makes it work I think. Plus his expression!

http://thestitched.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:33 PM) : 

Not sure about this look - it always annoys me when my jacket just sticks out from under my Barbour. A couple of inches longer, please!

 

Blogger myslak said ... (12:36 PM) : 

On the third picture we can see outstanding performance of colours - blue jacket and intentionally visible purple socks (purple and blue is such a great combo) and between them grey trousers (very very nice one) and at the end - great bright shoes - bravo, bravo!!!!!!!!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:38 PM) : 

These "over" jackets are popular scooter wear - often wind and waterproof over your sportscoat. Becoming popular in London amongst Italians and mainland european scooterpeople

Noticing more and more trouser turn-ups in Italy. IS this the new trend?

 

Blogger green lantern said ... (12:40 PM) : 

I think a Hybrid jacket should be worn like a reversible item. It can be this or can be that. I don't like it being worn as outerwear and it doesn't look good. IMHO layering should flow and not look ambiguous or jumbled.

 

Blogger TEXTSTYLES said ... (12:40 PM) : 

i feel it
quite lovely

*bisous*

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:06 PM) : 

love the elbow patches. love the purple socks.

 

Blogger DEYN said ... (2:17 PM) : 

Love that purple patches and the shoes love that shoes

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:27 PM) : 

everyone's being distracted by the clothing - its the face in the second shot that is worthy of a thousand ships ; )

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:37 PM) : 

Ever since I found your blog, I've consciously chosen my outfit so that, if by some miracle we ran into each other on the street, you'd take my picture.

Thank you for teaching me how to dress myself with style, grace, and confidence.

 

Blogger Michael Rex said ... (2:50 PM) : 

I am sorry, I aint no Sart. but these people look a hot mess! What happened to STYLE?! People are confused.

 

Blogger Carl Hult said ... (3:08 PM) : 

Elbow patches is a little too common nowadays, but the scarf is nice.

 

Blogger diane said ... (3:29 PM) : 

Adorable!

 

Blogger anonwomen said ... (3:51 PM) : 

the purple socks are genius

 

Blogger Brigadeiro said ... (4:24 PM) : 

I love the concept and look of that jacket! Looks great from the back, wasn't too sure about the tie/scarf/jacket combination though...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:41 PM) : 

Like the jacket and love the purple socks!! Great one!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:52 PM) : 

Not only do I love the gray pants but I believe I have a pair - appear to be a cool Cuccinelli pant with a side leg pocket and zip back pockets. The key is the length and purple sock accent.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:18 PM) : 

Face in picture two is my HEART, girl. He my HEART.

 

Blogger Elizabeth said ... (5:21 PM) : 

Oh.. I've been inspired! the first picture, I like! I really like how the jacket/coat fits on him, opening at the sides, hugging at the waist and then sitting nicely on his lower back, and then showing a bit of the jacket underneath. That gives me the idea for this winter, as I need to wear layers. I'm thinking with tight jeans and long boots. My behind its a bit fuller than the man there :) so the layer would rest nicely... oh gosh, the perfect excuse to go shopping soon.
Elizabeth.

 

Blogger Ginger Biscuit said ... (6:15 PM) : 

les chausettes violets!!! ;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:23 PM) : 

I would personally try this combi (when I move to a temperate setting from super hot Singapore), the main task is to get a coat that is really cut to the body. My worry is that it would increase the overall bulk of the look (and make me look fat!). But yeah, an inspiration, this one.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:28 PM) : 

The young Paul McCartney?

 

Blogger Lucid Libertine said ... (7:13 PM) : 

love the purple touch

 

Blogger Joy Mars said ... (7:20 PM) : 

The double jacket bit is beginning to look like a one-season folly.

But nice purple socks.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:53 PM) : 

He looks like a naughty boy. ;) Reminds me of Dudley Moore's character in "Arthur".

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:44 PM) : 

i want those socks!!

 

Blogger Mira Maulia said ... (9:06 PM) : 

yeah, but I heart the patch effect on his arms.

 

Blogger Alexander Woolfson said ... (12:20 AM) : 

Who makes the jacket?

 

Blogger Shadjihar said ... (12:32 AM) : 

the mustard pants is yummy.

 

Blogger thestyleadvisor said ... (1:14 AM) : 

Not the biggest fan of the jacket. However the complimentary colors and textures are great. Very Ivy League.

 

Blogger Sarah said ... (5:10 AM) : 

ahah lovely elbows, and I love his tie
the socks of the third one are great, too
xox

 

Blogger Alexander said ... (5:30 AM) : 

Love the royal blue jacket with the purple socks. color rocks!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:58 AM) : 

Nice shocks! I love purple!

xo xo

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:27 AM) : 

i like the jolly roger print on the tie on the second picture

 

Blogger J.A.F. said ... (7:32 AM) : 

So Smart...they think of everything.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:40 AM) : 

He is totally a funny and charming guy! Love his purple socks and his childish warm smile! No belt in man's waist sometimes works! :)
Milly

 

Blogger Bedlam said ... (8:23 AM) : 

looks great, great colors, where do you get purple socks?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:19 PM) : 

I think that's the thing about Italian fashion - they are Europe's America. If Paris produces the rawest of fashion, Italy takes its ideas and incorporates them into realistic clothing so that one looks good all the time in fewer pieces. The Italian signature is that tailoring. We saw this subtlety last season when you put up that picture of the man who wore the back end or the 'tail' of his tie side by side with the front of it. Always about changing fashion subtly.

 

Blogger allison said ... (4:14 PM) : 

love the purple socks


aliveinbluesandgreys.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:45 PM) : 

purple socks. so rad.

 

Blogger Kwil said ... (5:05 PM) : 

Love the purple socks peeking out from behind the neutral tones. Hello!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:28 PM) : 

I love this. I'm inspired to work these looks into my wardrobe in a feminine way (female wardrobe.)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:47 AM) : 

the man on the left in the third image is the same of the photo "conference on style"...is it ok Scott?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:38 AM) : 

It's sort of like a riding jacket or a short hunting jacket, isn't it. Sort of English schoolboy (or maybe that's the scarf & tie!)

I imagine this is what Withnail would look like in 2009.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:42 AM) : 

soooooooooooooo italian.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:06 PM) : 

reminds me of the Friends episode when Joey piled on all of Chandler's clothes. this look is just wrong...maybe a great idea in some realm, but here it is poorly executed. but he looks happy with himself, so rock on!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:17 PM) : 

I think that this in Brunello Cuccinelli - he makes some of the best cashmere in the world and fabulous mens clothes as well.

Suede brogue bucks and rolled up flannel trousers are his signature.

And if you go to his workshop in Solomeo just outside Perugia in Umbria, he has restored one of the most beautiful teatros you will ever see.

A true humanist and a sartorialist to boot!

 

Blogger Le Raconteur said ... (9:06 PM) : 

Wow! What beautifully colorful socks! What a gem, Scott.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:15 AM) : 

Monique said: "I'm not into the "thing" of the short, narrow pant leg high enough to show sock. It's just not very masculine. I shudder when I see men over 25 doing it."

I on the other hand see this and think it looks super hot and could not put my finger on it until I read that comment.

I love all the foot-centered stuff going on in the last picture (and the narrow cuffed trousers).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:16 AM) : 

seriously? the guy in the grey suit... fantastic purple socks, great shoes, but that shorter sport coat looks ridiculous. Just because the sartorialist took a pic, doesn't mean it's fantastic. The blue coat not only looks too small but make a choise...it's either Grey suit or grey pants with blue sport coat. No need for a melange. In both cases, it's Italy, it's not cold, no one there needs a scarf much less a second coat that is too small to fit over the nice coat that you may be wearing...`
And the first guy, while the combination of textures colours is great had they been done with a longer, proper coat...this just looks silly.
I do love the site.. excellent photos, great style...stop this before it begins.

 

Blogger Mz. Paulzen said ... (1:21 PM) : 

THE PURPLE SOCKS ARE MY FAV-OR-ITE!!!
I'm gonna go sock shopping now!

Like the red shoes next door too. This picture makes me happy :)

 

Blogger eluv said ... (11:36 AM) : 

Awww. He's a cute little guy. I love that he looks hap-hazard but somehow it looks fashionable and I love it.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:44 PM) : 

I love the purple socks....I never wear socks but these socks are perfect!

 

Blogger Wet Bream Productions said ... (6:55 AM) : 

The grey slacks, purple socks combo is spot on. Not sure about the shoes in this ensemble, despite liking them in their own right!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting