This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street....Duffle Coats, Florence

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

On the Street....Duffle Coats, Florence


Comments on "On the Street....Duffle Coats, Florence"

 

Blogger Zohar said ... (9:05 AM) : 

how geeky (in the most positive sense!) and wonderful is the first photo! I love it - him being aredhead also gives it such a great overlook. I love the layers o both photos.

 

Blogger Julicious Fashionicious said ... (9:13 AM) : 

My favorite mdel of coat!I have one the same,dark blue!
And these guys looking great in it!

 

Blogger Paul Pincus said ... (9:15 AM) : 

love these. classic. i've been wearing duffle coats since i was eight years old! a duffle coat is forever ; )

 

Blogger Jorge from W Palm Beach said ... (9:20 AM) : 

Great examples of a classic! While the top picture is top notch in terms of fit, I find the second image more inspiring as your subject plays a bit more with a silhouette by adding the pants (almost knickerbockers?) and the argyle. Definitely inspiring. It makes it very difficult for a South Florida year-rounder not to run to the store and buy a coat on a clearance sale! Jorge from W Palm Beach

 

Blogger Bel said ... (9:24 AM) : 

I completely love Duffle coats, especially on men!!!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:25 AM) : 

Those coats are awesome :)

 

Blogger Dominica said ... (9:28 AM) : 

What a great (retro) look !
In the eighties this was a big thing and I even think the late Princess Di started the look (together with the frilly blouses...)
I'm thinking about how these trousers were called ; can't remember the name...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:31 AM) : 

Quite aside from the rest of his (charming) outfit, those socks are simply adorable!

 

Blogger miss sophie said ... (9:31 AM) : 

i've always been a sucker for toggle coats in navy blue - it's got just enough Eton schoolboyish charm that mixes just the right amount of quirkiness and practicality.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:33 AM) : 

The last several posts have me craving an oxblood leather oxford... they're just making these outfits work for the boys and the girl!

 

Blogger No Salvation said ... (9:34 AM) : 

Duffle coat on top of a blazer and patterned sweater... swoon!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:35 AM) : 

I don't think this kid is even aware of how stylish he is looking!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:37 AM) : 

The redhead on the fist picture is a type of nerdy guy. But I can't see why people always think nerdy is bad. I mean look at him he's adorable! The red hair, the funny looking cute glasses, the duffle coat and the yellow socks beneath his nice pants. And off course the sweater and the extremely cool shoes!

 

Blogger Ginger Biscuit said ... (9:38 AM) : 

How charmingly Harry Potte-esque that first photo is!

 

Blogger re:definition said ... (9:39 AM) : 

first is a big YES, and the second i'd just never let happen. something about plus fours will never suit me. and his shoes are completely out of context.

 

Blogger Mo said ... (9:45 AM) : 

i really like those actually, especially the first one

 

Blogger No said ... (9:48 AM) : 

OOO! I love the loop-hole buttons!

 

Blogger John B Pritchett said ... (9:53 AM) : 

Great coats! Always wanted one, never had one, now I really want one!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:11 AM) : 

Nice.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:11 AM) : 

The second is great - an unusal combination but everything in sort of abbreviated form - the plus fours, the short scarf, the wrist warmers, the duffel.I agree the shoes amy have been slighty "better" but that is me nitpicking.

Great look

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:19 AM) : 

I think that the first "nerdy and unaware" guy works at the trendy Nitty Gritty store in Stockholm. Doesn't make his outfit less inspiring though...

 

Blogger stylethread said ... (10:23 AM) : 

I am still kicking myself for donating my old dark green duffle coat with horn toggles. Hence why my closet is overflowing -- I am afraid of regretting casting things off!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:29 AM) : 

Twenty years on my old school uniform is finally stylish...not that i ever looked as cool as these guys. It's kind of Wes Anderson meets 'Love Story' (sorry, Mr Anderson, i actually think you're one of the best dressed men on the planet).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:29 AM) : 

The young man in the first photo has perfectly captured the currently popular nerd look. I've no idea whether he set out to do that or whether it's his usual mode of dress.
Whichever, he looks adorable.

While the second look is interesting and sure to garner attention, I think it could use a bit of editing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:36 AM) : 

Harry Potter?! The first guy looks like from the movie, but the great quality of the material, especially those of the pants and the shoes, added elegance to the outfit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:37 AM) : 

it shouldn't work.. knickers really? but the look is far to posh to complain about. Separately those pieces could have been a disaster, yet the come together in a very cohesive look that photographs like a dream. Wonder if I can get my husband into a pair of these? See what I mean...

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:43 AM) : 

i like the outfit of the redheaded guy a lot, minus the cropped pant. the cropped pant is something i just can't get myself to like.

the second outfit is pretty cool too, i like the pant in that one strangely.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:47 AM) : 

The funny thing is, I think the guy in the first photo is actually Swedish.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:03 AM) : 

Interesting look in the first picture, but a Duffle overcoat, a jumper and a wollen jacket do require socks. I am far too Italian to come to terms with socklesness in winter.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:11 AM) : 

what a geek (in a good way)! i love the guy in the first picture... i think his red hair helps bring the whole look together. so lets here it for the geeks!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:20 AM) : 

Wow, looks like someone crossbred Harry Potter with Ron Weasley...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:33 AM) : 

redhead has everything right - cut and length of the pants, shoes, sweater. everything!!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:06 PM) : 

ahhhhh....nella prima immagine...GLI UOMINI DEVONO SEMPRE PORTARE I CALZINI...
i'm sorry but i think that man without socks are not very stylish...not very stylish...

 

Blogger Barbara said ... (12:26 PM) : 

Hate the sockless feet beneath the too-tight and too-short pants. Geeks certainly seem to rule. I do love the plus-fours in the bottom photo - he has put together a hotchpotch of garments which shouldn't work but do, and really well. I love fearless men, or rather men who are fearless in their dress sense..........

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (1:19 PM) : 

wow, nice coat!
And you wouldn't say these were taken in Florence, Italy!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:22 PM) : 

I am in love with the guy in the top photo. The guy in the second photo looks so cool. I really appreciate both styles. It kinda makes me think "private school vs public school".

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:36 PM) : 

I am in los angeles where does one find any pants of that style in los angeles are they tailored to that skinny cut or are they purchased like that, aswell where could a duffle coat of that nature both on the smaller side?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:39 PM) : 

This must be one of Ginny Weasleys and Harry Potters sons! Is it Albus Severus or James Sirius?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:42 PM) : 

Harry Potter party?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:46 PM) : 

Top man is lokking for Harry Potter.

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (2:12 PM) : 

I'm wearing that top coat right now!

 

Blogger Meg said ... (2:31 PM) : 

Duffel coats on men in January- especially in olive or navy- have are so very, very Florentine, in a classic, wonderful way. And they can be tweaked so many ways.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:04 PM) : 

It's great to see this coat done in two different ways.
Although, I especially like that both men got the proportions right in using a tighter/cropped pant.
The attention to detail on both their parts is impeccable.

 

Blogger SparkleQueen said ... (3:34 PM) : 

His outfit looks like a rebellious school boy's outfit!

 

Blogger Hollywood said ... (3:44 PM) : 

What a great blend of British, Italian and American styles. The coat, and sweater are very English. The length of trouser and bag, very Italian forward. And, the oxford shirt, and navy blazer with gold buttons very Ivy league American. This fellow pulls it off all seamlessly. Amazing shot.

 

Blogger allison said ... (3:49 PM) : 

simply wonderful!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:42 PM) : 

Love the plus fours! When I saw them as part of the Benjamin Bixby collection I thought great idea, but who would wear them...now I know.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:00 PM) : 

Brilliant

 

Blogger jkh said ... (5:42 PM) : 

number one> socks and slightly different trousers / the rest is PERFECT

 

Blogger Room4777 said ... (6:13 PM) : 

Someone gave Harry Potter the Fashion wand...one that works for that matter!

 

Blogger diane said ... (6:20 PM) : 

They both look very nice, but I prefer the 2nd one.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:38 PM) : 

wow the layering in #1 is sooo good
and the hair!

 

Blogger lenmeister said ... (7:34 PM) : 

Who are these people lol?!! I can't help thinking that these people are just a continent away..Like a whole other world! fashionista's by nature..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:00 PM) : 

It looks like Hamish Bowles in his youth!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:03 PM) : 

really interesting how two people with different attitudes are wearing the same style of coat. it really doesnt look like both the men in these two pictures are wearing a similar looking coat.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:19 PM) : 

#1:
1st thing I think of....
HOGWARTS..(but all grown up :])

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:26 PM) : 

Classic Suburbanism in bella Italia

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:09 PM) : 

I love that second look i think it looks great on a woman as well oxfard shoe with a straight leg pants. very classy

 

Blogger Regina said ... (9:22 PM) : 

I love the socks.....the entire look. Nice!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:24 PM) : 

when you first posted the red haired guy in the first pic in the gold buttons post I had wished you had posted a front view of him as well so I could see the rest of him as well. Thanks. Love the whole outfit and the way the colour of his hair changes in the light to match the glasses. Inspiration to other red heads.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:34 PM) : 

Top photo: did you show this man's back in an earlier post? The coat has lovely buttons on the hood. I remember it because of his tote bag, which I love—tote bag of my dreams, especially if the straps are adjustable.

I also love the pant length. I'm trying to picture him and the exquisitely dressed "like the boys" girl together… If a picture is worth a thousand words, this look is a novel.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:03 PM) : 

sorry does anyone know where the blue bag in the first picture is from? i've been seeing it around a lot. it is gorgeous! thanks in advance!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:06 PM) : 

The first photo is the same guy from 23rd jan, no?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:52 PM) : 

I keep telling my husband that pale is in! All jokes aside geeky chic it's great..esp the trouser colors and fit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:53 PM) : 

Finally, a great-looking normal outfit (in picture #1).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:55 PM) : 

I'd say you have yourself the perfect Ron Weasley...

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:57 PM) : 

Redhead has a perfect fit on all of his garments.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:18 PM) : 

The first picture is perfect! THe coat fits perfectly with the rest of the outfit.

 

Blogger pulp+witticism said ... (11:19 PM) : 

There is something neat and perfect with the silhouette of cropped, leaner fitting trousers. It looks crisp. And it exposes just the right amount of devilish socks or vulnerable flesh. Oxfords paired with these types of trousers make all the difference. Fashionable AND academic.

 

Blogger Christine said ... (11:33 PM) : 

I am a young lady and I would kill, absolutely KILL, for the first outfit. It looks smart, chic, and just nutty enough.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:45 PM) : 

Paddington the Bear... sigh...

 

Blogger Ali said ... (12:03 AM) : 

it's the same guy with the gold buttons on his hood, isn't it?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:15 AM) : 

i absolutely love the outfit in the first picture. it is perfect. i especially like the bag and the glasses.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:47 AM) : 

Great photos -- I have a question. Is everything headed towards high-water pants? I see a lot of them on this site. I am fine with the look but could not pull it off myself. Give me a long inseam . . .

D

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:59 AM) : 

Why is everyone mentioning Harry Potter? These guys are just can't get over the Paddington Bear books they read as children.... I love my Paddington Bear coat.

 

Blogger Diana said ... (2:40 AM) : 

Redhead rules! Although, pale skin on the face looks beautiful, and pale skin on the bony sockless ankle looks...brrrrr.

The second guy is simply sexy. I wonder how tall he can be, as the proprotions (ankle boot, socks, "harem pants", coat) are not easy. I think a short guy would look even shorter and heavier with the same look (pressed together).

 

Blogger Leoona said ... (3:05 AM) : 

I think i have to buy a similar coat to my bf ;D

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:45 AM) : 

The redhead is bon chic bon genre Wes Anderson-style - and it comes so naturally!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:51 AM) : 

Love the Ralph Lauren duffle coat and i like specifically the first picture.He looks like a modern Harry Potter

 

Blogger  said ... (4:36 AM) : 

excellentissime

 

Blogger Urbane Legend said ... (8:06 AM) : 

Oh wow. I already have a duffle - how nice it is to know I'm stylish :)

And I am buying some plus-fours TODAY. THIS MINUTE.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:47 AM) : 

That Redheaded Kid has it goin' on!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:47 AM) : 

I love love LOVE the second outfit (minus shoes). I can't stop obssessing over how I can accomplish the same with my wardrobe. I can't believe it! These guys have made me want to go shop for a duffle coat. But I'm not sure if my petite 5'3 frame can pull it off. Hmm.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:06 AM) : 

Love the balance of darks. Terrific plaid cuffs, terrific socks with perfect trouser. Great face.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:15 AM) : 

OH MY GOSH THE TOP PICTURE IS INSANE! I love it, I love his style I love everything! I can't believe how amazing his style is I want to turn all the guys in the world like this.

 

Blogger Duchesse said ... (9:32 AM) : 

Yves St Laurent wore a duffle to every function for 40 years. I've worn one for 25 and don't plan to stop. Impeccable.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:18 AM) : 

I am SO into the guy in the top picture. Just absolutely brilliant, love it!

 

Blogger .......... said ... (12:48 PM) : 

geek chic! l-l-l-looove the top photo.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:09 PM) : 

Fantastic! Wear a blue coat with purple or pink trousers and you'll look glorious! Seriously!!!
X

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:23 PM) : 

First pic, channeling Matt Damon in The Talented Mr. Ripley.

 

Blogger -- said ... (1:39 PM) : 

these two guys are amazing! hope all guys could dress well....i hate the t-shirt and jeans look, so lazy! and so out!

 

Blogger Chris Johnson said ... (2:13 PM) : 

I love EVERYTHING about how these gents put themselves together! The cropped pants of the first guy are just splendid!

Also, I love wearing my duffle coat over a buttoned blazer too. That combo is such a sharp but classic look - especially when my coat blows open and you can see the Burberry plaid underneath ;-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:20 PM) : 

the carrot-top is just...i wish all men dressed like this.

i love the schoolboy look

my favorite way to dress

(i do have a liking for wearing mens clothes)

 

Blogger John Danner said ... (2:56 PM) : 

Regarding the first photo, the pants and shoes I love, especially the cut of the pants and that very chromatic blue bag against the shoes and pants...maaaaan.

 

Blogger pm said ... (3:40 PM) : 

the gingerboy looks amazingly beautiful. if i didn't see the title i would have thought he's in England or Ireland or i don't know
i can't say anything i've fallen in love.

 

Blogger Christina said ... (3:46 PM) : 

How cute is the boy at the top?

 

Blogger Rachel said ... (5:17 PM) : 

oh i love that nerdy boy at the top! i want to take him home with me.

 

Blogger Disneyrollergirl.net said ... (5:28 PM) : 

Really love Harry Potter in the top pic. The other fellow looks good but the first one is more classic. Everything is so spot-on from the trouser-length to the button-down shirt to the bag. The glasses and the hair are of-course the icing on the cake. I bet you were jumping for joy when you saw this photo, I would've been!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:41 PM) : 

Albus Severus!

 

Blogger john said ... (5:48 PM) : 

The top photo reminds me of someone you might meet at Hogwarts; more academic than professional.

 

Blogger PicasaDegas said ... (6:35 PM) : 

I love the Ralph Lauren duffle coat. But I think the bag is too casual he either needs a briefcase or a over the sholder leather bag

 

Blogger Pope said ... (9:48 PM) : 

great blog! saludos desde argentina!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:10 AM) : 

At the top, we see a well-turned chap channeling Erlend Øye by way of Anthony Rapp in 'School Ties'. Embrace your gingerness!

 

Blogger Shadan said ... (10:35 AM) : 

sexy socks!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:19 PM) : 

Ah yes, duffle coats, I've never looked good in them and I have this negative association to them and I don't know why.

In the second photo if you are not careful with that ensemble you can look like a clown. But he pulls it off nicely, a very fun personality! lets get together and have coffee :)
Elizabeth.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:17 PM) : 

Found it--the bag in top pic is by Danish firm Mismo. Bravo mismo.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:09 PM) : 

What a beautiful boy #1 I can't stop looking! Everything is perfect! I want to KNOW about him what he's like. I'm in love with his outfit.. I wish I could see someone with that amount of style in real life! If he came around here he would certainly get beat up for what he's wearing :(

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:27 AM) : 

The top pic is the coat from D&G men's F/W '08 collection, it's awesome, my boyfriend has it and I sometimes borrow it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:18 AM) : 

WHO is that first ginger kid? I want to marry him...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:37 PM) : 

Doesn't the guy on the first photo work at Nitty Gritty in Stockholm? I'm pretty sure that I recognize him.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:06 PM) : 

I know the guy in the first picture - he is Swedish, lives in Stockholm and works at Nitty Gritty. Used to work in the APC store. Very friendly guy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:14 PM) : 

ahh, i've been wearing a navy duffle coat basically every day for the past 4 years, and it never gets old!

 

Blogger LJ said ... (7:03 PM) : 

The first guy is adorable!!
He couldnt possibly have done that wihtout trying.
I wish we were together, like Mr and Mrs Weasley

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:51 PM) : 

Brilliant!

The red head looks like hes from harry potter ^.^ Very schoolish style.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:01 AM) : 

I must must marry a boy that looks like the boy at the top. He's beautiful!

 

Blogger hongthao said ... (10:02 AM) : 

lovely
I always have this thing for duffle coat! I think it's classic ...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:17 PM) : 

Loving the hint of plaid in the hood lining! Bit partial to the jumper underneath as well! Very geek chic.

The argyle socks really add something to the 2nd look. On anyone else they would've been laughed at.

 

Blogger lennie said ... (4:14 AM) : 

i just think this is the most striking image- the colours, the layers, the shapes- also the fact that he has no socks, the flash of skin braving the cold! everything has a match, it's amazing.
im making this image the inspiration for a piece of writing, i hope it takes me far.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:02 PM) : 

Dufflecoat guy afterwork
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3107/3160383677_d24cfffea6_o.jpg

 

Anonymous remah Doleh said ... (10:21 AM) : 

The top picture: I love the contrast of colors and those pants remind me of Thom Browne. Love it!

 

Anonymous lab coat uniforms said ... (3:56 PM) : 

Duffle Coats are good in men. second image are more inspiring as your subject plays a bit more with a silhouette by adding the pants. also the nerdy guy, with a glasses, oh, he looks great wearing that blue coats.

 

Anonymous Vanityofvanities said ... (9:59 PM) : 

These duffle coats are simply hilarious, though I want to see a photo of a girl who wears this fashionably.

Cheers,
Cathy@scrub pant

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting