This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street....Fashion Forward Florence

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, January 12, 2009

On the Street....Fashion Forward Florence


What I really liked was that this reads as a coat, but with the curved front it is actually more like a very extended sportscoat.

I was going to say that I also loved the fact that if you looked quickly you might think that this was shot in NYC, but on second thought, I'm not sure it's a great thing that Florence is beginning to look like any other big city.

Comments on "On the Street....Fashion Forward Florence"

 

Blogger TEXTSTYLES said ... (9:58 AM) : 

graf in other languages always make me chuckle

he looks molto bene

*bisous*

 

Blogger The Clever Pup said ... (10:08 AM) : 

I agree with you. It's NOT a good thing that Florence is starting to look like any other big city. We've all got to retain our differences and eschew Big Box stores for the independent shop keepers.

It depresses me when I open magazines from different countries and see the same American ads and American spokesmodels. I want to be treated to something different.

Anyway, regarding this picture, I like this guy's whimsy but despite the fact that I'm probably old enough to be his mother, I'd take the French Guy from a few days ago.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:16 AM) : 

Capt. Kirk in alternate universe

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:26 AM) : 

I think it's cute with the trousers so high on the leg!

 

Blogger Mrs Stevens said ... (10:32 AM) : 

REALLY don't dig those trews.

 

Blogger Aaron Brown said ... (11:03 AM) : 

what happen the rest of his pants?

 

Blogger LEAH said ... (11:03 AM) : 

great coat!! never would have guessed florence from the tagging...

 

Blogger diane said ... (11:03 AM) : 

Not so thrilled with the coat; it looks like a bathrobe. And he looks like he's wearing his little brother's pants.

He is cute though.

 

Blogger thwany said ... (11:21 AM) : 

i totally thought this was nyc.

 

Blogger RosieLuvsWhitley said ... (11:30 AM) : 

Eye candy; love his look - and yes it does look like NYC. And I love this blog - the concept is so straight-forward and simple!

http://whitleykros.myshopify.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:41 AM) : 

Love the short trousers in combo with the big shoes. A little Charly Chaplin clownyish look.

 

Blogger NVA said ... (11:55 AM) : 

the contrast of the black board and the blue letters fit very well with the coat...

 

Blogger kris said ... (11:57 AM) : 

Sorry, pants are what we call "high waters" , but aside from that, "Oh la,la"

 

Blogger Sarah said ... (11:58 AM) : 

I love the association of the too short pants and a bit wide with he big shoes!
lot of humour
XOXO

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:12 PM) : 

I agree, Florence's charm comes from the fact that it is so unique - it has to be one of the most beautiful cities in the world. It's such a shame if it's beginning to lose it's individuality.

 

Blogger Ammie said ... (2:07 PM) : 

Much cleaner than NYC!!

Say something once, why (not) say it again -- love the short pants, especially with boots or steel-toe oxfords. This has been well-done in Japan for many years and I am glad to see it becoming popular elsewhere. Love the whole outfit, though I'm biased -- this could be my husband. :)

 

Blogger James Taylor said ... (2:27 PM) : 

You can tell it's Florence from the kerb of the sidewalk, the bicycles, the architecture and lighting. Firenze has always been covered in graffiti... I don't see how that makes it look like NYC.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:18 PM) : 

It might be just me, or the fact that I only stayed there for a week, but that bike, locked to the wall made me think of Florence right away. In our street we often had to walk hundreds of meters just to find something that we could lock our bikes to, because there were so many of them everywhere.

Now about the outfit. :) If I just take a quick look, than I like what I see. But after that it is a bit weird, I have to agree with the "clown in a bathrobe" comments. But I am no expert, and quite conservative. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:22 PM) : 

i agree with you about the coat - it's unexpected and cool. i like the proportion of his pants and his highly shined DM boots.
I think what we must remember about NYC is that so many different cultures live here and make an imprint or leave their mark so it's easy to think other places look like NYC when in fact it's NYC looking like other places. Conversely, i would never have guessed this was Florence but it's certainly not London.

 

Blogger fernandomachine said ... (3:29 PM) : 

Is this ensemble real? Or is it another marketing ploy for the La Scala production of La Boheme??? The boots and coat scream of Puccini.

 

Blogger CULTURE CREATORS said ... (3:33 PM) : 

A rather yummy gent... good eye sart.





CC

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:14 PM) : 

What do we have hear a set of dr martins

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:35 PM) : 

Bonjour,

My comment is in reference to the first image in black & white. It's is beautiful and sad at the same time. It tells a story of the past, I appreciate the effort and preservation of a different time in this photograph.

Merci, Zoé

 

Blogger Bedlam said ... (6:15 PM) : 

he's cute! once you get past the floods. NYC let me think about that.

 

Blogger The Humansong said ... (6:22 PM) : 

As an urban planner/designer, I wholly agree with your last statement.

 

Blogger Paul Baxendale said ... (6:43 PM) : 

Wowza!!! Now there's a look I can get behind! Those are the Best Pants Ever! Boy, I hope whatever is going on in the cuff region of those trousers jumps the pond, quick like, cause im waaaay down with that look. The jacket-- beautiful. The boots-- perfecto. Also, the background with the multi color graffiti looks just swell. Well Done!!!!

 

Blogger SparkleQueen said ... (7:03 PM) : 

I like the coat a lot, the color is nice and it looks good with the grey. But, I don't know about the cropped pants though, it makes his legs look short.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:56 PM) : 

I'd just like he had choice another shoes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:12 PM) : 

loves it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:18 PM) : 

i guess i haven't perused Firenze thoroughly enough, because contrary to the above post, I've never seen any graffiti there.

...ah, this photo is not my beloved Firenze...

 

Blogger Love + Cake said ... (9:21 PM) : 

Love it

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (9:38 PM) : 

That would be a shame...if Florence would look like a big city like NYC. Not that I despise NYC...I LOVE it. Although it's been since the summer of 1999, I can still remember a lot of your city.

Anyway, I love this shot. I hope to visit Florence one day!

 

Blogger Style Gourmand said ... (9:41 PM) : 

It looks more like Milan than NYC. Glad to see that people are experimenting more with fashion in Florence. This look is a lot more exciting than the orange pants and collared shirt look that you usually see men wearing on the streets of there.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:10 PM) : 

It would be great if you tagged your posts by city (I know that's a ton of work, especially this far along in the blog). I always get excited when I see Milan and Florence-- I lived in Florence for years and feel extremely nostalgic when I see your pictures. As for Milan, I just love the light there.

xo

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:56 AM) : 

i'm all for a smart cropped ankle on a pant, but these flare, which i'm not down with. they don't have to be tight, just a straight leg will do.
and i love love love blue/brown combo. very underplayed.

 

Blogger J.A.F. said ... (7:36 AM) : 

Like a young Philippe Starck...The coat is great but I'm more intersted in the trousers. Are they leather? can't tell.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:08 AM) : 

Highwater or not, the proportions work. And it's refreshing to see shorter pants as part of a casual look. We've seen lots of sock-showing with suits, so why not some ankle with a military bent?

 

Blogger Tom Wilkinson said ... (8:47 AM) : 

Those trousers are leather, aren't they? And they have what could only be called cuffs... Brown leather trousers and black DMs cannot be a good thing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:50 PM) : 

in a way its a good thing that in florence more and more people are starting to dress "fashion forward". It is a very closed city and often, especially young people, tend to dress all alike...
however, Sartorialist, please promise me you will go to the paninoteca "i Fratellini" in via.dei Cimatori n.38(its right next to piazza della Signoria)....There you eat the best sandwiches while drinking chianti wine...mmmmm :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:25 PM) : 

Is he supposed to blend in to the graffiti'd up wall behind him?...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:28 PM) : 

great coat, but i love the fit and length of his pants.
i like how they hit his ankle and the slight flair of the hem.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:51 AM) : 

this guy saw twilight. Dark shirt under a blue sweater.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:15 AM) : 

I'm a New Yorker, and I'd thought this was a NYC scene! But the bicycle frame is the European small city giveaway.

 

Blogger Tiger Fodder said ... (3:30 PM) : 

I thought it was NYC as well, until I scrolled down and saw his pant leg. With different shoes I would have panned it, but I love the pants with those boots.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:02 PM) : 

Don't worry that does not look like NYC.....way too clean. Look at the pavement!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:54 AM) : 

This site is..wow..
I'll use this site a lot

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:42 PM) : 

love that he looks so effortlessly amazing. and doesn't seem to care. the boots are gorgeous!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:29 PM) : 

The man in this picture is Adam, an american artist living in Florence and a friend of mine.He lived for a long time in New York before moving to Florence,that probably explains why the shot looks so NY.
PS:yes he does have amazing style!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:48 PM) : 

The man in the pic is my brother... he has always been an individual. I like it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:56 PM) : 

So Justin Bobby from The Hills!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting