This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Here We Go!!!

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Here We Go!!!

So The Sartorialist 2009 starts for me today in London!

I'm in London for a meeting today and then tomorrow I'll do a fitting for my first real "bespoke" suit by Savile Row legends Anderson & Sheppard.

I will try to keep a little diary on the progress of the suit and the some of the issues involved in ordering such a fine work of hand craftsmanship.

Of course my first concern was not about double-breasted or Super 120's - but how much should I workout before my fitting.
Do I want my suit to be for my "Winter body" or my "Summer body"?
I decided i would rather go in at my high weight and come back later for a "bespoke" tweed swimsuit for my summer body (maybe with a matching vest!).

Anyway, after London I will go to Florence for Pitti Uomo and then on the to...well, below is the schedule - or as they say in London "schedule" (I guess you have to hear me say it for that to be funny).

London January 7th - 9th
Florence January 10th - 16th
Milan January 17th - 20th
Paris January 21st - 25th
Stockholm January 26th - 29th
Rome January 30th - February 2nd

It's a long trip but I hope to get lots of great images.

This Sunday I might take the train to Modena and Bologna for the day. Any suggestions for great menswear shops in those two cities?

Comments on "Here We Go!!!"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:28 AM) : 

I expect you to know where to go in Rome to take your fantastic pictures.

If not, drop me a note so I could help.

Rome can appear as sensationally flat in terms of style if you do not hit the right spots and, most importantly at the rigth times.

First tip: do not miss the ghetto and Piazza Mattei (tutles fountain) with its Tortuga Bar.

Time? 19.30 - 20.00 for a drink before diner.

Ciao e respect for your great job.

vincenzo_delmonaco@fastwebnet.it

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:39 AM) : 

in bologna you must go to "de paz"
www.depaz.it

maybe see you into pitti

best regards from germany
MJ

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:39 AM) : 

Hi! Some hints to go shopping in Bologna: - Via San Felice (boutiques - multibrand)
- Via D'Azeglio
(more classic: Boggi, Flanella, Donati...)
- Via Clavature
(Diesel, WP Store, Guess...)
- Galleria Covour, Via Farini
(top brands: Armani, D&G, Gucci, Fendi...)
Hope you enjoy your trip to Bologna!
Sara

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:51 AM) : 

If you're in Savile Row you should be sure to check out Richard James - which I would describe as classic with a twist - and Ozwald Boateng, who uses fantastic colours and really sharp tailoring and is much beloved of media types. Of course, while you're there you should also visit Gieves & Hawkes, if only because they're probably the highest profile name on the street and managed to make notorious scruff Bob Geldof look good when he received his honorary knighthood.

Street fashion - try Spitalfields Market and the upper reaches of Brick Lane, especially around the Truman Brewery.

Enjoy

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:56 AM) : 

Bologna : you cannot miss SOTTO SOTTO in Casalecchio di Reno .

You are great . Thanks

Enrico B.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:01 AM) : 

Come to Edinburgh! You better wrap up warm though!
x

 

Blogger J.A.F. said ... (7:13 AM) : 

Very Cool! I think a lot of men will be interested to learn how custom suits are put together. Thanks!

 

Blogger Tiago said ... (7:29 AM) : 

I really would like start using custom hand made suits in my daily life. There is no ready to wear Prada (or any other) that can achieve a perfect hand made suit specially for your body.
For me, it's a bit of mystery the price range of one suit.
Can you give us an idea of the price range of a suit in Anderson & Sheppard ?
Have a good year.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:45 AM) : 

Please, oh please take pics of the suit in it's tacked and pieced stages...I love seeing the construction details of a good garment! Enjoy the process!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:45 AM) : 

Really looking forward to some London photos - I think this blog is severely lacking in them!!

 

Blogger Harlem Loves said ... (7:48 AM) : 

Well it sounds like i have one more day to walk around in my casual best in case our paths cross... kidding. Hope you enjoyed your trip.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:52 AM) : 

If I were you I wouldn't tell us all your plans- there may well be a lot of fashionably dressed people happening to turn up around Savile Row tomorrow..!!

 

Blogger Baeloclaudia said ... (7:55 AM) : 

Have you ever visited Spain?? You have to include Barcelona and Madrid in that schedule. And I would love you could come to Andalucia. I´m sure you would enjoy a lot and would take wonderful photos.

http://baeloclaudiablog.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:13 AM) : 

hi! In bologna there are 2 nice shops for menswear, Flanella and Mister Gal
I don't remember the addresses sorry!

However, don't miss the ice cream shop close to the 2 towers, it's called Gianni, I think, it's bee a long time since I went there

cheers!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:17 AM) : 

Have a nice trip to Florence. I was there last september, nice city. I look forward to see many good pictures, from Pitti Uomo. Can you please look for some good outer jackets, and what`s the style for jackets for season fall 2009. I can recomend the fashion fare in Copenhagen, in the first of february.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:20 AM) : 

Hi there, i really appreciate ur blog, i think it's very representative and always amazing, ur subjects are so stunning!
Anyway, i can suggest u a couple of shops in modena and bologna. In Bologna the only one u could try is "mr. gal" (even though i'm not sure of the real name..), in modena u can find the absolutely marvellous "Spoon".
Enjoy ur trips!
Claudia

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:20 AM) : 

Do you mean "shedyule"?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:29 AM) : 

Scott, I guess you'll be missing Wonderful Copenhagen - again!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:30 AM) : 

Hi Sartorialist!I live in Bologna and I'm glad to suggest you the following shops:

"BARROW-menswear" via san felice 32
"BARROW-womens" via Frassinago 2/c
"BIBA'S", Via Indipendenza,74"SOLFERINO 6" Via Solferino,6

For great shoes,for men and women, go to "TASSINARI" Via San felice,55

I hope you can stay longer in Bologna because on sunday most of the shops are closed.
p.s."Wallpaper" just edited a brand new guide to Bologna.

Enjoy!
Cris

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:31 AM) : 

Your first day in Florence is my last day- I would be beyond excited if I saw you out and about photographing the beautiful people of this city!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:37 AM) : 

You'll go in Italy. That beautiful news

 

Blogger SartoriallyAddicted said ... (8:39 AM) : 

In London, check out...
http://www.simoncarter.net/

 

Blogger Anne Corrons said ... (8:42 AM) : 

It seems to be a fabulous trip through Europe. We may meet in Paris, you will be shooting people and I'll be shooting windows. Enjoy your trip !

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:43 AM) : 

fantastic sart! let the fun begin

 

Blogger Maite said ... (8:44 AM) : 

As in schedule instead of skedule...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:45 AM) : 

Dear Sartorialist!

First of all a happy new year to you!! I actually have suggestions for menswear shops in Bologna (which you should prefer to Modena). I myself am not italian, I am only staying here for a year of law studies. There is a fabulous shop which is called "new dandy" in via d`azeglio 16/B, right beside another "boggi", which you like too, as I could read. In via d`azeglio you find at least two or three other great menswear shops which you cannot miss. On the left side of via d`azeglio you will find a coutyard, where you should take a look at a shop called "monsieur" (if I am not mistaking...). In strada maggiore there is another recommendable spot called " di donato fratelli", which is quite conservative, but still very italian. On via farini (which would be the "bondstreet" bolognese), can be found "i classici", with beautiful clothing. In via farini there are also all the other big brands (hermès, church`s....). I am sorry for posting that long, but the more I think, the more come up other shops. In via ugo bassi there is "de paz", italianized british menswear, also very worth to have a look at. And another thing you might like to see is miro`s shop, unfortunately I cannot remember the name. It`s a small shop in via della moline. You might not trust my recommandation by the outer apppearance of the shop (well neither the inner appearance), but you will find vintage sunglasses at low prices (ray ban, persol, valentino...). One last thing: if your not looking for the ancient food bolognese, but I new authentic experience of italian class, visit "è cucina" in piazza aldrovandi. Enjoy your time in Bologna!!!

 

Blogger Léonie Mizée said ... (9:02 AM) : 

When will you come to Amsterdam? :D

 

Blogger Pramendra Pratap Singh said ... (9:12 AM) : 

Nice Blog Dear

 

Blogger Ame in DC said ... (9:14 AM) : 

Go Sart -- you lucky dawg! Have a ball!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:17 AM) : 

You might wanna take a look at English Cut & Thomas Mahon, if you're not familiar, for an interesting view into English bespoke tailoring-- http://englishcut.com/

 

Blogger SMII said ... (9:18 AM) : 

Hi Sartorialist,

Enjoy your travels, sounds like lots of FUN. The A&S experience should be memorable one. Mr Hitchcock is the consummate gentleman and will listen to your input. Their garments are especially nice with open quarters as opposed to the default setting.

 

Blogger Cim said ... (9:23 AM) : 

What about Copenhagen ? Hope to see you here soon !

 

Blogger LivingGolden said ... (9:38 AM) : 

OOh. I'm absolutely jealous. What a lovelys schedule.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:38 AM) : 

Sart, what a great trip! despite your exhausting ssshhhhhedule sounds like there will be lots of treats in store, not least for the followers of your blog. So cool you're ordering a bespoke suit from the high priests of Savile Row, can't wait to hear about the process and see the results. Have you chosen the fabric yet? Maybe you will need to go to Turnbull & Asser on Jermyn St for some beautiful shirts to go with??
ps - seeing as the pound's so low go to Cordings and treat yourself to a velvet collared Covert coat, i think one would very good on you with your colouring.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:42 AM) : 

I'm working up a serious "Sart" appetite. Can't wait to see what you serve up.

 

Blogger Mo said ... (9:57 AM) : 

sounds wondeful! Can't wait for your DKNY ads to come out!

 

Blogger TMFA said ... (10:12 AM) : 

Great. Looking forward to your pictures.
I am covering the AIFW (Amsterdam International Fashion Week) 24 till 30 of January. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:15 AM) : 

Why don't you spend half day in Como when you are in Milan? great town. Ciao

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:30 AM) : 

I wish you can come to Veneto and Venice one day....there are lots of beautiful places and people.

Enjoy Italy....well, it's easy to enjoy Italy!!!


Benny

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:31 AM) : 

Hi Sart when you head to Bologna you must go to Flanella on via D'Azeglio for menswear. It was my favorite store in Italy and I'm a woman! The staff is impeccably dressed and a pleasure to talk to.

Some other spots in Bologna
Breakfast:
Pasticceria Gamberini
Via Ugo Bassi

Lunch:
Trattoria La Corte Galluzzi
39.051.226.481

Aperitivo:
Tamburini
Via Caprarie

Dinner:
Marco Fadiga Bistrot
39.051.220.118
via Rialto


Can't wait to see pictures!

 

Blogger Dan in Richmond said ... (10:33 AM) : 

How wonderful- enjoy your suit experience and I hope you'll post photos of it. I'm looking forward to "visiting" Italy again through your lens.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:34 AM) : 

when in london checkout suit supply...its can only be founf id london, amsterdam and a few other places in europe. I just left those two cities and its a shame the US doesnt have at least one store like that here

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:34 AM) : 

Sart, in Bologna go and see BRANCHINI, a shoemaker's shop in Strada Maggiore: wonderful, wonderful, wonderful shoes.
Silvia

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:01 AM) : 

Any specific reason for not going to Copenhagen, or is it just lack of time?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:05 AM) : 

Dear Sartorialist,

I live in Hamburg (Germany) and I´m missing Berlin on your list!
Not only New York or Paris, also Berlin is a creative and stylish city!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:16 AM) : 

How lovely that you take your time to visit Stockholm! But I most say that I agree with the previous comments - while you're in Scandinavia you shouldn't miss Copenhagen. It's almost cooler than Stockholm. Almost.

All the best!

 

Blogger gretchen said ... (11:17 AM) : 

oh you're so lucky to visit all these wonderful cities in winter! i went to all but stockholm this past summer and have been itching to go back ever since!

 

Blogger avaveen said ... (11:17 AM) : 

No time to pass by Brussels?? There are a couple of great menswears shops I could suggest... And I would love to interview you for the web TV were are launching at the end of the month! Well, you're schedule looks pretty tight already. All the Best!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:34 AM) : 

Good luck with finding people to shoot in London. It's so cold here at the moment that most people are dressed in ugg boots and big padded coats.

 

Blogger Lale said ... (12:04 PM) : 

i would like to travel with y'u!!!
fashion kisses xxx

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:09 PM) : 

I'm excited that you'll be starting up some more regular entries, soon! I can't wait to get some more London inspiration.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:20 PM) : 

Hope you come visit Helsinki when you are in Stockholm. It's very close to Stockholm.

Looking forward to seeing your photos!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:39 PM) : 

you've got to go to berlin. You'll be suprised!

 

Blogger Claire said ... (12:55 PM) : 

I'm going to have to walk down Savile Row tomorrow (if I can fit it into my shedyule) and hope to bump into you - but it's true, no one cares how they look at the moment as it's so cold.

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (1:03 PM) : 

Can't believe you're touring all over Europe.
Your American friends must be jealous.

Can't wait to see some nice pictures from all of these cities!

 

Blogger Miiicha said ... (1:11 PM) : 

ooh How fun !

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:16 PM) : 

Bologna? Forget the clothes—go for the food!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:30 PM) : 

The best store in Bologna is Donati on via Massimo D'Azeglio. I got a great Fay (Diego Della Valle) jacket there a few months ago.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:32 PM) : 

Come to Spain!!! Happy new year, by he way!
X

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:55 PM) : 

Are you going to take pictures of the stylish people on London streets? Or you're here merely for the meeting? I hope you could stay longer here in London so that I can see more fabulous pics taken on my familiar places (compared to NY or Paris) on your website.

Inspired by you blog, I decided to learn photography in order to make my blog more colourful.

Anyway, enjoy your trip in Europe!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:32 PM) : 

Having just left British shores i can confirm British women en masse appear to be addicted to Ugg boots. May i make a request, Sart? PLEASE no Ugg boots on your blog they are the anti-style to end all aspirations of elegance...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:51 PM) : 

Lucky man! Saville Row bespoke...hw very Cary Grant of you.

All the best,
Dennis

 

Blogger Arya said ... (2:55 PM) : 

1st bespoke suit? i'm very excited for you Mr. Schuman, have fun and be sure to post any and all pictures of the process!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:00 PM) : 

aaahhh!!! u arrive in Bologna this sunday!

i'm in reggio emilia.
i would like to go in bologna saturday afternoon... but now I change decision. I'll go sunday to wish meet you on street!

i advise you to go in "FOLLI FOLLIE", because there is a good choice of products. (piazza cavour ...near piazza maggiore in the center www.follifollie.it).
then, absolutly u go in "L'INDE DE PALAIS"! c'est super! (www.lindestore.com ... in the same aerea of former Via de' Musei 6)

i hope they'll open on sunday. check hours

enjoy!!!

and i represent my wish to meet you.

you have a great style to choise your photographic subjects ;-)

bye
:-)

 

Blogger What is Reality Anyway? said ... (4:03 PM) : 

i wish i was jet setting, see you in ny for fashion week x

 

Blogger toia said ... (4:32 PM) : 

What about Madrid???? We do exist and have great sense of style! If you come I will show you my incredible Henrik Vibskov' s coat.

Good Luck!

 

Blogger Anthony Teasdale said ... (5:13 PM) : 

I live in London, but the best clothes shop for men – and one that really shows what fashion conscious lads (not arty studes/designers)in this country are into – is in Manchester. Check out oipolloi.com for true British street style.

Though those Mancs have
never got over the fact that it was Liverpool that started the whole trainers/labels thing in 1977.

Love to be able to get a bespoke whistle, you're a lucky bloke.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:18 PM) : 

OMG i just can't believe u're coming in ROME!!!
you definetely have to tell me where you will be shooting here, i want to meet you!!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:28 PM) : 

oh my, maybe I should go to stockholm the 26th january... I wish I had the money to travel like you and work with things and people I love, but so far I'm just a student waiting to get educated and then start my dreams. I'm doing a project in class, which is supposed to turn into a fashion magazine for both girls and boys, so you might just hear from me soon, as I adore your blog and have a lot of questions! bye for now :)

 

Blogger danielle said ... (5:29 PM) : 

I have the less expensive of the two irons you show in this post. I love it and have no idea how I ever ironed before. Absolutely worth it. The only downsides I can think of are that its bulky and so difficult to bring in and out of storage, also the resting place for the iron is made of rubber so you can't actually put the iron down on it when its hot as it will melt and stick to the iron. Little annoying, but overall I still consider it a necessity!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:40 PM) : 

I'm so jazzed about your suit. Lots of photo documentation please! And golly, I hope you get a little break in there - that's quite a "schedule." I'm typing it the British way. Ciao!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:43 PM) : 

In Bologna, go to La Sorbetteria Castiglione and surrender to the dolce de leche. Safe and lovely travels...and please let us experience the bespoke journey with you.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:18 PM) : 

go check out perugia!! i went to school there for 2 semesters, real young, lively fashionable city...you'll love it, its always overlooked in peoples travels

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:48 PM) : 

Since your in London, I highly suggest going to the Oliver Goldsmith eyewear shop...the most beautiful eyewear around...custom sunglasses are as expensive as your new suit...but so worth it...

Directions are on the website.
http://www.olivergoldsmith.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:50 PM) : 

i love bologna. many young hipsters with interesting glasses. please post lots of your pictures from there!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:13 PM) : 

Please do turn a blind eye to the 'Ugglys' and do visit Margaret Howell (on Wigmore St- www.margarethowell.co.uk), Kilgour (also on Saville) and have a lovely lovely cup of tea or a glass of something in the Wolesley. Have a good Trip.

 

Blogger jc said ... (7:30 PM) : 

I'm so jealous of you getting your own bespoke suit. What I would give for that experience. Ahh!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:34 PM) : 

Hope to run into you in Paris, safe travels!

 

Blogger SparkleQueen said ... (8:44 PM) : 

WOW LONDON sounds so amazing! I'm going there later this year for school. I hope you have an awesome time and I will be here checking your blog for updates!! :)

-Emily

 

Blogger lenmeister said ... (9:34 PM) : 

Have fun over there sart...congrats on getting your first bespoke suit, that makes a statement! chose ur fabric wisely lol hope you already have something in mind or you could be in ther aaall day, which is fine if you have the time I assume. I've had a few made-to-measures done, I like to have my initials imprinted on the jackets inner pocket..just a thought. Cant wait to see your new pics

L

 

Blogger lenmeister said ... (9:38 PM) : 

OOps just realised your fitting appointment was on the 7th we're already the 8th oops lol oh well, when do we get to see you in your new suit?! Hope I can make it to savile row one day

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:51 PM) : 

A&S is my tailor. If it's your style, I'd recommend that you consider a suit with the lightest interfacing and no pads in the shoulders...both with are specialties of A&S. Also, if you wear braces, have the soft and lined waistband with buttons on the outside and a high English back, which is also one of their specialties. But only do it if it is you.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:40 PM) : 

OH you happy, lucky man!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:57 PM) : 

That's fantastic-- your first bespoke suit. Even more fantastic is how excited you seem to be about this experience. Please do share the results with all of us.

PLO

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:08 AM) : 

YOU NEED TO DO SOMETHING LIKE THIS (where to shop, and for what) IN NYC!!

Ps., bespoke swimsuit??

 

Blogger Franzos79 said ... (3:27 AM) : 

Go to Barrow in Bologna http://www.barrow-bibas.com/. Sunday is closed I think. As for the food in Bologna stay away from to touristic restaurant!

 

Blogger ERman said ... (4:12 AM) : 

Wow..look at that schedule. Mr. can I be you PA?? and yes it`s a serious question.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:45 AM) : 

Good choice - check how they'll take your seam into your pocket.

See also Norton & Son and Huntsman (English royalty and some from your side/firm too).

I notice someone above has mentioned Richard J. & Ozwald B. - both good additions to the Row, but quite a lot of quirk for quirks sake - see also Mr P Smith on Floral Street(or drop into his new corner shop in Burlington Arc.).

Dover Street Market is interesting, Jermyn St. has been previously mentioned - rightfully so, but if you're looking for shirts consider Budd in Piccadilly Arc.

Cordings is good, if a little boxy.

Most of all though get out of St. James etc and take in the independent street style, East or West. When you're East check out the Butcher of Distinction to see how the younger guns see it. Top notch.

Have fun.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:05 AM) : 

I've always wondered about bespoke suits and couture, too: What happens when one picks up weight after one or two years?

And how many fittings does it take to create something?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:23 AM) : 

Sart, if you're still in London today, I would visit Albam on Beak Street in Soho. Albam manufacture and design their own wardrobe basics - smart jeans, shirts, knitwear, classic fisherman's jackets and Mackintoshes, etc. The store looks great as well. They're like an English equivalent of Freeman's Sporting Club. (No I don't work for them, I'm just a keen customer.)

 

Blogger Miriam Parkman said ... (8:04 AM) : 

I always miss you when you are in Stockholm! I'm always there the weekend before or after...

Well well, it's always exciting to see your shoots from here anyway:)

 

Blogger Mr. Rover said ... (8:50 AM) : 

Hey Scott,
Don't know if you can make it out there on this trip, but John Lock & Co. Hatters is on St. James's St in London if you were looking for a nice tweed newsboy, a panama, or even a fedora.

Ray

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:45 AM) : 

So good of you to take us all along...

I'd love to see a shot of the Laundry in your Milan Hotel whence the perfectly pressed shirt comes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:57 AM) : 

Tom Morton has given good advice.

I too don't work for them, but they are all lovely chaps offering great product.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:22 PM) : 

Oh Scott! I've been waiting for the day I knew you were in London with hopes I might catch you/you might catch me on the streets alas I fear I've spent the past days cozied up in my apartment instead of trawling sloane sq, brick lane, kensington or any other fancy places where I might have caught you shoot! well hope you enjoyed your trip in this fair city and perhaps next time! enjoy the rest of your journeys, I know you will, I look forward to the pics

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:28 PM) : 

go to Barrow (via san felice) or Folli Follie (piazza cavour)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:42 PM) : 

Sart,
I am really looking forward to reading about your suit. I'm so excited for you. I think you have my dream career/life, with the exception of the tweed bathing suit and matching vest.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:44 PM) : 

AHHH! Stockholm - again - fantastico! U have to take picture of that blonde guy u have shot sometime before! The one with black/blue outfit! I luv all the youngsters u take pictures of in Stockholm, wonderful!!!!

XXXX from Rome

 

Blogger Fannah said ... (12:47 PM) : 

No Amsterdam? =( oh well, excited anyways =)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:28 PM) : 

get the vest

 

Blogger Kwana said ... (1:32 PM) : 

Happy New Year! I can't wait to "travel" along with you.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:52 PM) : 

In Bologna, lately they opened a very chiq boutique in Via Belmeloro 7/45c, they have very original menswear by some young designers... A must see!
And you realy should try Gianni's ice cream!

Ciao!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:54 PM) : 

qué envidia!! me encantaría pasarme el próximo mes viajando. Aprovéchalo al máximo y a la vuelta nos cuentas.
besos desde España.

 

Blogger Vera said ... (5:10 PM) : 

Fabulous!! Have fun, and make a good plan for Paris, it's huge :o)

 

Blogger Chris Johnson said ... (6:53 PM) : 

Congratulations on your first bespoke suit, Scott!!! You realize this is like the apotheosis of The Sartorialist, right?!

NICE CHOICE in Anderson @ Sheppard!

Can't wait to see your upcoming fashion week photos! I'm STILL mesmerized by that iconic photo you snapped of Anna Wintour outside the tents in New York with that yellow coat thrown over her shoulders!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:10 PM) : 

Hi Sart,

Welcome to the UK! How about taking a short diversion up to Manchester. Their is lots of visual stimulus here in the way of stylish people..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:02 PM) : 

I think you mean, as the say in London... "schedgooole". Ha.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:12 PM) : 

In Bologna, defenitely "De Paz"....
Would be intersing a "Mr Dante vs. Lino"...

Thanks for you inspirations and respect.

 

Blogger Lillian said ... (11:15 PM) : 

i wish i was you

 

Blogger andrea.at.the.blue.door said ... (12:38 AM) : 

Oh boy oh boy! English tailoring! Interlining! Pad stitching!

Beau (Sart) Brummel - you must keep keep us informed of *every* *tiny* *detail.*

 

Blogger Jonathan said ... (9:46 AM) : 

I just got three suits made to measure by the Turkish tailor here at my base in Iraq. I wanted to thank you for all your dress-sense encouragement over the past year. It means a lot to have a couple nice threads hanging in the closet when all I'm wearing every day are blotchy gray combat pajamas and brown suede boots.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:48 AM) : 

Nice alternative shop is:
bottega back-door
piazza Galileo, 3/a
Bologna - Italy
tel/fax +39 051 6569442
www.back-door.it
You can't see it

Good week

 

Blogger Nicole Cik said ... (12:52 PM) : 

Hey Sart, I live in Bologna and as other people wrote, I think you should go to Via Clavature, Galleria Cavour, Via Farini, Via San Felice, Strada Maggiore.
In every corner you will find something, but I don't know how many shops are open on sunday...
Maybe we'll meet at Pitti or in Stockholm or in Milan :)
Enjoy your fantastic travel

Nicole

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:02 PM) : 

You need to come to Amsterdam for our version of Fashion Week... Just stop by on your way to Stockholm!!

 

Blogger Mo said ... (5:02 PM) : 

i wish you'd come to Atlanta

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:43 PM) : 

Sart,

Wishing you safe and happy travels and a great 2009. Would you consider getting tabs on the suit pants? If you're like me, most of the difference between your "summer body" and "winter body" is in the waist. My tailor turned me on to tabs a few years ago and they've been wonderful. Enjoy the suit, and the bespoke process!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:02 PM) : 

Excited to see what you find Scott!

 

Blogger swilek said ... (9:32 PM) : 

Enjoy every moment of your trip...you can always do what my favourite travel writer/jouralist( Alice Steinbac, "Without Reservation") does...sends postcards to herself from each place she has been. I began doing this too! Maybe you do already:) Enjoy your time..looking forward to seeing your pics!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:30 PM) : 

I hope to run into you in NYC, pretty much every time think about making a visit! You're pretty much a celebrity.

 

Blogger sm said ... (12:31 AM) : 

Having read this blog since, almost, the beginning, I really am excited about the prospect of a diary about the making of your new suit. I imagine you will pick up where you left off in an earlier post, when you are asked the magical question, "and now Sir, will you kindly step through?"

 

Blogger Fabio Bucciardini said ... (2:27 AM) : 

Happy new Year :)

I'd like to see you on shooting. Maybe... in Florence.

 

Blogger MJ said ... (3:55 AM) : 

in florence you must go for a drink in
harry´s bar - tuesday 20:00 some interesting people stay there!

the best shops you can see are

- milord at piazza strozzi
-eredi chiatrini at via roma
and
-tie your tie at via dei federighi tyt with simone is one of the best over the world!

in opposite of tie your tie you can found a very beautiful japanese shoemaker.

have much fun

kind regards
MJ

 

Blogger Sofia said ... (6:19 AM) : 

I'can't belive you're in Modena!! I am in Modena too in this Moment and i can recomend to you several shop in the downtown: Adani and Altamoda in the Via Emilia and one small shop (in my opinion is the best for man) called Hombre who is just beside the Duomo (the most important romanic church in europe..if you have time take a look is amazing!!).
Have a nice trip and maybe we can meet in Florence for Pitti

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:02 AM) : 

given youre extensive travels with many stops I would love to know what clothes/shoes you are taking with you? trying to pack light yet be fashionable in many climates/situations is still a callenge and i am sure we could learn a lot from your choices. it would be great if you would want to share your packing list or tips/tricks.

thanks from nyc, n.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:24 AM) : 

Hi! I suggest to go to any local market...the stuff you find there isn't as great as the stuff in New York's flea markets but in modena (and other towns around) you might be able to find great cashmere sweaters for low prices. Furthermore there are several stands with fruits, vegetables and cheeses that are very pretty and the italian vendors are really cool.

Close to Modena (in a small provincial town, i don't really remember the name!) there is the Rick Owens outlet. It's great!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:09 AM) : 

this is the best for me:

- suit- DePaz: Via Ugo Bassi 4/D, Bologna

-shoes- Peron: Via Galliera, 24, Bologna

see you in Rome, maybe.

Max

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:36 PM) : 

I suggest you to go to Arezzo where you can find Banchelli Store and Sugar,the best shops in Italy !!!

 

Blogger CaitByrnesIsDollyLonglegs said ... (1:38 PM) : 

Excited to see you are in florence! I've just arrived this week for my semester at SACI.

Love your work!

 

Blogger Eric.Granwehr said ... (12:27 AM) : 

hi scott. how's london.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:45 AM) : 

Sart, I love your schedule joke and know exactly what you mean. You are very funny... or as we say here in the Bay Area, "funny".

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:31 AM) : 

Hi,
maybe is too late, but in Bologna the best street for go shopping are: San Felice Street, D'Azeglio Street ( also good for Sicilian Ice Cream) and Zamboni Street (University Center 4 new idea by young stylist).

I hope to run into You by the way
Paola B.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:18 AM) : 

Where can we see the pictures from Pitti etc.?

 

Blogger anu said ... (11:17 AM) : 

I'm glad your going to Stcokholm again, last time the pictures where great.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:35 AM) : 

Hey! When in Modena you have to visit the factory of SCHEDONI. They are the manufactors of all the Ferrari Luggage and interiors.SCHEDONI also has their on line of Luggage, leather goods, they are out of this world check them out at www.schedoni.com / If you would like to speak to someone at the factory contact Simone Schedoni at s.schedoni@schedoni.com
Tell Them Dewayne sent you. All the Best.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:46 AM) : 

there's a great new(ish) bespoke shoemakers on strada maggiore in bologna - FYI forget Gianni's (factory yuk) for the best ice cream head to Il Gelatauro, further down Strada Maggiore from the shoemakers, a gorgeous little gelateria/bar

shopping is not great in bologna though & via S.Felice, San Azeglio and Strada Maggiore have most of the interesting shops. don't miss piazza santo stefano - one of the most beautiful piazzas in italy. bologna's best dressed citizens (usually the middle aged / elderly crowd) tend to pass through here, particularly on sundays.

modena is so tiny that you'll be able to get around the whole centre in under an hour. most of everything's closed on sunday, but there is a lot of passaggiata going on in both places & a great relaxed sunday atmosphere.

 

Blogger querou aquino said ... (12:03 PM) : 

no bread & butter for you? so, maybe i'll see you in Pitti... look for the cute petite brazilian with crazy london fashion sense. :)

 

Blogger Michael Joseph Owens said ... (3:50 PM) : 

Wish you'd show us some shots of the fitting. That would be insightful to those of us with no experience of such event.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:43 PM) : 

you need to get into stone island. no man is too formal to get casual. that said, keep up the good work, and good luck with the fitting.

 

Blogger Petulia said ... (11:39 AM) : 

I cannot believe i will miss you in Rome, but we will be in Paris at the same time. Hopefully I will bump into you!

 

Blogger Petulia said ... (11:43 AM) : 

P.s. In Rome make sure you hit Rione Monti and Pigneto. That's where you will find the most interesting and worthy looks

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:04 PM) : 

If you have time (in Florence) to stop by the BEST ice cream place in the world (even though its out of the center), I highly suggest la gelateria "il Sorriso"...its right in front of a very good restaurant/shop called "Convivium" on viale Europa (or Via Erbosa 70). PLEASE go. If your favorite desert isn't ice cream, then you've never tried THIS ice cream....

p.s. i suggest chocolate, buon talenti (you only find it in florence!) and tartufo.

 

Blogger Daniel said ... (5:08 PM) : 

check out the "sieger" nook at pitti, i was there today, it's their first year

two brother, one designer one business

they have two velvet 3/4 length jacket, like your earlier post

also, for food in florence, hit the central market, there is a eatery in the corner, panino ______
real workman's food, fantastic roast beef and soup

 

Blogger Massimiliano Trovato said ... (6:46 AM) : 

One place you should definitely visit while in Rome is Alberto Valentini's tiny studio. The address is Via Tor di Nona, 58--not far from St. Peter. You'll love Valentini's awesome ties. They're made out of the most incredible fabrics and perfectly fit Valentini's love of experimentation. You can find some pictures here: http://www.umbriarte.com/VALENTINI/VALENTINI.html. Please, tell him that Massimiliano of Istituto Bruno Leoni sent you there.

PS Also, please let me know if you're ever in the Venice aerea: I wanna make sure to wear my best outfits, should I stumble into you.

Massimiliano (massimiliano-dot-trovato-at-brunoleoni-dot-it)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:33 PM) : 

Dear Sart,

I haven't seen anything further on your visit to Anderson & Sheppard. I'd be very interested in hearing how that went; I remember that when I was patronizing Savile Row, A&S was famously difficult, often refusing to accept orders for single garments.

And did you photograph their workrooms? I still treasure your photos of Lobb, and would love to see anything you took on the Row.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:25 PM) : 

Would love an update on both process and results of Savile Row experience!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting