This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street...LaFayette St., NYC

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

On the Street...LaFayette St., NYC

Comments on "On the Street...LaFayette St., NYC"

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:13 AM) : 

There is a definite shift in your attention..recent images (save for the pink suit) have reflected a real "depression era" working man kind of visual which I am enjoying, thanks!..I really want to widen the legs of this guy's pant..sigh

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:14 AM) : 

Now this guy, is a great mix of cool/casual/yet slightly done up still... love those jeans and that beard!

 

Blogger Fashidoo.com said ... (7:29 AM) : 

cool style :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:30 AM) : 

fantastic! I want to read his buttons.

 

Blogger J.A.F. said ... (7:49 AM) : 

I really love long beards right now.

There's something about that cuffed denim that seems unexpected. The rest of the look, although thought out, seems rather uncalculated but then you scan down to those cuffs...BAM! Urbanabulous.

 

Blogger Jorge from W Palm Beach said ... (7:56 AM) : 

I like how his plaid shirt barely peeks from under the army shirt. Yes the jean legs could be a bit wider to keep the proportions between upper and lower body, but it looks more rebellious this way,, which I think is the point. The army shirt has some stains, I guess those of us that buy vintage have to decide what we can/can't live with. His skin and hair are obviously well taken care of, and that's what keeps him from looking like a common bum. Fun outfit. Jorge from W Palm Beach

 

Blogger Lieutenant Glahn said ... (7:56 AM) : 

He's clearly attempting to emulate our Soho friend from December 5. I'm impressed he could grow that beard so quickly.

 

Blogger Ivy Lane said ... (7:58 AM) : 

Mmm... I like the outfit..the beard ONLY if it is clean!! Ya never know what could get caught up in that thing on a walk across town!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:12 AM) : 

I agree with Simone 7.13am there's certainly a theme to many of your recent posts. A lot of jeans, dark indigo, deep cuffs and men who look like they work wih their hands, be they artists, craftsmen or builders. Is this the trend in nyc at the moment or is it what you find your eye drawn to? I love this guy's hair, beard, sunglasses, the red pin and shirt tails; like he's thought about it, but not too hard.

 

Blogger Evelyn said ... (8:21 AM) : 

one word- cool.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:39 AM) : 

Based on the wear patterns in his jeans, he spends most of his time with his hands shoved in his pockets

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:39 AM) : 

Olive drab ever go out of style? Nope. Great shot and lighting, BTW, Big Sart.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:45 AM) : 

Tolstoy alla 2008.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:45 AM) : 

This green is very china。I like it。

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:54 AM) : 

are those nudie jeans?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:14 AM) : 

like everything but the beard..just..cant..do.. beards..

 

Blogger Jonathan said ... (9:29 AM) : 

I'm really enjoying this bearded blue collar look. The man from Soho had a similar thing going. Has old school biker finally come back in style?

I remember this look as a kid in the '70s. A lot of the college students in my town were emulating the look they saw in the back woods around here. A need to identify with the working class. But there seems to be more to it this time around. A cleaner line to the clothing and body—more of a statement about personal style than about politics.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:03 AM) : 

i think the ubiquitous focus on working man's gear is a return to a pragmatism which always bubbles to the surface during economic hard times. self-indulgence seems at best rude and disconnected at worst during uncertain times.(the fashion equivalent of the fundamentals of economy are strong)i found myself letting my hair and beard grow more(comfort beards are awesome) this year than i have in probably 5 or 6 years. i think it's something akin to people wanting to stand shoulder to shoulder with the working man. that's how i see it, anyways. love the look, by the way. those wool military field shirts from the fifties serve the same function as this top.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:05 AM) : 

i like his style. looks like he cares, isn't overdone. would trim the beard and widen the leg of his jeans if going for perfection, but who needs it?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:09 AM) : 

This is great photography!! Like the beard aswell

 

Blogger May Kasahara said ... (10:09 AM) : 

epic hair.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:10 AM) : 

Why are people loving this get-up?
It is a uniform with no style... Contrary to the mass opinion, it is still possible to find some great style out there.

A lot of these "looks" are just uniforms... cookie cutter. Buy this, this, that and this and now you have the look.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:11 AM) : 

These two inch cuffs on dark denim look so refreshing and comforting. They go so well with the plaids. It´s like macaroni with cheese.

 

Blogger Dominica said ... (10:17 AM) : 

First thing I noticed :
the most beautiful colour of his hair....(and beard)
And I agree with Evelyn : he's IS very cool !

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:26 AM) : 

i'd like to point out the faded outline left by the iphone. my husband laments that this happens to all his jeans, but my guess is that this will become an intentional achievement, like the perfect knee rip was in the mid- to late-'80s. and when today's jeans become tomorrow's vintage finds, that perfect iphone fade will be as coveted as an original big "e" levi's tag.

 

Blogger ST said ... (10:26 AM) : 

THIS GUY!

dude! i see him on the L train ALL TEH TIME. he's badass.

and yes, suzanne nelson, there is in fact a big artist/craftsman/builder movement going on. sort of a 'return to authenticity', hand-crafted, men-being-men thing. i'm starting a distillery in BK, ie. that's what the rolled-up work jeans signify.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:37 AM) : 

The widening of the pant leg and rise of the waistline was inevitable after years of skinny jeans. Of all people, Andre 3000 saw the coming of the Depression-era trend with his new line. But the new style is really all about fabrics and classic manufacturers. Yeah for wool!! Macinaw jackets and Woolrich shirts!! I'm most curious to see how it translates to high fashion. Will we see the return of generously cut double breasted wool suits with peak lapels? I suspect yes. Take a look at the Little Rascals and copy.

 

Blogger ricola said ... (10:39 AM) : 

Every morning I wake up and I like beards more and more. Great colour in the glasses as well.

 

Blogger ERman said ... (10:42 AM) : 

It seems like everyone is growing a beard and wearing a loose-fitted-cuffed-faded jeans lately. Definitely will be on my to-do list and then I will feature it in my blog. L.O.V.E

 

Blogger TMFA said ... (10:42 AM) : 

That guy is rockin a nice beard.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:03 AM) : 

Okay, I know we've seen him before and he's stuck with his look--which is what 'they' usually say to do--find a look and stick with it. But do we really need a second image of him? I don't think it's all that interesting, just a typical downtown, dime a dozen, still grunged, wear whatever is on the floor look.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:28 AM) : 

I have to agree with Anonymous 10:10, this genre is not creative expression; I see it as a tribe of clones.

 

Blogger Cassaundra said ... (11:36 AM) : 

i seriously can't get over how amazing the shadows are.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:52 AM) : 

Good photo. Is it really style? Maybe so, but I sure don't like it. To me it's such a phony "working class" look. I don't know what these people do, but I doubt that their working-class clothes ever get dirty from real work.

I should take a picture of my husband and submit it as the epitome of style. But his jeans are just rolled up until he puts on his boots to go out and clean stalls. Then they're folded down. If it's cold, his flannel shirt is tucked in to keep him warmer.

Guess I could go on and on, but I'll just add that a beard like that wouldn't be an asset as it just collects icicles when it's cold and you really work outside.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:07 PM) : 

I don't mind the clothing. This is good, serviceable urban style. However. That beard. Not that I don't just love me some old ZZ Top, but really. Not cool. Not sexy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:41 PM) : 

Nice and interesting, like it!<3

 

Blogger danconnortown said ... (12:52 PM) : 

I wonder if he has any tattoos?

 

Blogger chief shannopin said ... (1:03 PM) : 

gotta love those blublockers and presumably ironic message laden buttons.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:21 PM) : 

His style contrasts vertically: Clean haircut with great shades one, scruffy beard. Army color jacket with pins on them. Raw denim, WORN. Cuffed jeans, canvas sneakers. The whole thing is interesting, even though he probably didn't think about it the way I did.

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (1:28 PM) : 

Wow, nice haircut. I went to the hairdresser today but it's again...too short.

Cool picture.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:30 PM) : 

anon@11:52 i appreciate your comments on this matter. sometimes i find myself torn on this matter. my positive take on it(which i stated earlier) is that pop culture has rallied around the working man. the backbone of industry is in dire straits and it seems like up and coming american and japanese designers are romanticizing the lunchpail guy. from engineered garments to rogues gallery, these designers have made it cool to walk around with a rugged, lived-in aesthetic that is far from the youth worship that is usually inherent in most fashion.

on the flipside, another part of me wants to label these downtown, iphone toting, $300 jean wearing, hard labor neophytes as poseurs(of which i am one of). i grew up in a family where most everyone drove rigs and i was mentioning to my brother last week that i love the fact that flannels came back in such a big way because it makes me feel a certain kinship with my uncles. i'm sitting at my cushy deskjob in downtown dc in a flannel shirt, rugged cords and combat boots. however, the outfit costs what one of those truck drivers take two weeks to make so the question is does that make me a sympathizer to our working class-for whom i really do have a soft spot for- or does it make me a poseur just tweaking my look a bit?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:35 PM) : 

this look is ubiquitous here in Seattle. you can't walk more than a block in the busier neighborhoods without seeing a beardo in olive drab and plaid.

 

Blogger junglesiren said ... (1:38 PM) : 

"Is it style"? Must you ask? Is it fashion? is another question. And at this point I'd say yes to both.

I love functional clothes. I love when they're not fine or precious. What I don't love is when these items are from a "designer". IMO it's being a victim (or just plain crazy) to pay in the hundreds for stuff you can get at The Gap or the Levi Store or your local thrift shop. Yeah, designers might use better fabrics and have an extra detail here or there but the overall look isn't any better, and paying that much undermines the poetic qualities of it and in fact make it posey, to me.

He looks good from the knees up. Honestly I think the proportions of the jeans aren't flattering. They might look good without the cuff (I don't dislike cuffs, just this particular one).... but maybe it's the angle of the shot..

 

Blogger LRB said ... (2:03 PM) : 

It's like if ZZ Top were to collab w/Rag & Bone. I love it.

 

Blogger Rita said ... (2:57 PM) : 

One cool cat. Though I think the hairstyle and the beard don't work together; one of them has to go and let the other shine.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:34 PM) : 

Hi,
you should specify that is because the beard, if not, people thinks that he is well dressed, and we know you could find all that clothes in HM two or three years ago.
But is so right that he is wearing an "premium" BEARD!

Thanks and congratulations!

 

Blogger nika! said ... (3:35 PM) : 

...the beard could probably be a little bit better trimmed...I'm mainly saying this though cause for a moment, I seriously thought that the wire trailing down from under the beard was a really long little braid! Haha! that'd be something! Other than that, I really like the color of the shades in comparison to his amazing hair color.

 

Blogger The Clever Pup said ... (3:37 PM) : 

Reminds me of the first guy in my high school to grow a beard. He just kept growing it and growing it. No moustache, all beard.

Is that you Jack Dryden?

 

Blogger Stephanie Clayton said ... (3:41 PM) : 

very, very interesting. he's got quite a look going on....personally i don't like the beard; however, I think everything works well together in spite of that.
the red building in the middle ground, red glasses, & belt unify the color scheme...so subtle. love that!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:38 PM) : 

Is anyone else tired of all the attention American workwear revivalism is getting?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:48 PM) : 

he looks so cool!
and i like the color of his jacket :)

-MJ

 

Blogger Remah said ... (4:54 PM) : 

I love the look of his jeans. That worn in look totally fits his persona!

 

Blogger a. c. y. said ... (5:30 PM) : 

nice fades. He needs to fix the hole by his left front pocket before it gets out of control.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:35 PM) : 

love these jeans.
and how about those shades? yessss!

 

Blogger Daisy said ... (7:53 PM) : 

The beard makes the look.

 

Blogger D. said ... (7:58 PM) : 

First, I love the rich colors on the jeans and shirts; they go quite nicely with his reddish brown hair and skin tone, but... sigh. If he is even remotely attractive, he sure is doing a nice job disguising it under that beard. I can appreciate his clothes in an "abstract inspiration" sort of way (I love that sort of dark, rich color in my clothes, and my own coloring is similar to his), absolutely, but just imagine how hot this outfit would look on a guy with a better looking hairstyle and a clean shave, or even just a beard that didn't remind me of an ancient creepy dude.

Also, the slicked back hairstyle not only conflicts with the utter unruliness of the beard, but is unflattering to the guy's head and hairline, I suspect. From the nose up, he looks like Ben Stiller...

I agree with those tiring of "american workwear revivalism;" when I go out dancing on indie night, the dancefloor is a veritable sea of plaid and jeans. It's not a huge issue to me or anything, but it would be nice to see something new.

That said, the guy who Lieutenant Glahn (7:56 AM) linked to looks amazing. AMAZING.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:00 PM) : 

This guy and December 5th seem so pretentious next to the wonderfully unassuming man from December 11th.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:42 PM) : 

it seems that there have been a lot of beards have been showing up this winter. very economic accessories that add a little bit to every outfit, like the vintage bicycles.

 

Blogger najee said ... (10:17 AM) : 

This is the perfect cold weather look, its like mountain man goes to the city. Loves it.

 

Blogger boxgirl said ... (1:15 PM) : 

i agree. zeitgeist. stylish/but unstyled or is it the other way around? i was just at an army navy story and picked up an adorable cargo purse that will probably hold up longer than anything from h & m or those precious skins from gucci. people are less frivolous these days. you have to be more creative. which means it's back to cutting one's own hair...part artistic exercise and part straight up pragmatism. i think would be interesting if you did a little photo story on that. i actually used one of your photos as inspiration. people thought i spent a fortune.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:43 PM) : 

I'm not really feeling this look. I live in Austin, TX, and this looks like every middle aged hipster I see on the street. Not unique at all

 

Blogger John Danner said ... (5:13 PM) : 

I always like the Vietnam vet influence, but damn, if the beard was some what maintained (ie trimmed even a little), this would have totally did it for me.

...wear on those jeans is beautiful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:48 PM) : 

mr. lumberjack comes back from the future!!

 

Blogger Aunt Dawn said ... (2:01 AM) : 

I am confused by what this photo (and others) "do to me." After so long with the fashion industry marketing the concept of the overly androgynous man I am intrigued and refreshed by the new masculinity I see in some of these images - like men are saying I can be manly and coarse but into fashion, too. But the beards. Why so long. My boyfriend had one like this in college and I put up with it but it was overwhelming. A well done, shaped short beard I think is more masculine and sexy. I think these long versions are more mask than statement - but maybe therein lies the statement.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:03 AM) : 

I think he's wearing the hipster uniform - pretty boring

 

Blogger Sarah said ... (12:38 PM) : 

ahah he looks like Devandra banhart^^

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:03 PM) : 

agree with simone.
love the recent workwear inspired images.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:33 PM) : 

the beard makes me shiver...

 

Blogger Joy said ... (4:33 AM) : 

This is amazing. Seriously. It looks effortless but look at how it all comes together so perfectly. Stunning.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:43 AM) : 

Yawn... and I really have to let the boys out there know that beards are not sexy (generally). They add a dimension and interest to photographs, but real life is a whole other story.

 

Blogger Mathias Forsström said ... (6:38 PM) : 

now we talking! casual and own style. i like this dude!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:36 AM) : 

APC denim?

whos got it?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:38 AM) : 

I like him! :]

 

Blogger kate cait sith said ... (12:23 PM) : 

"Cast Away" chic. :P
I like the tint on his sunglasses.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:46 PM) : 

Check. Out. The. Beard.

 

Blogger CW said ... (5:07 PM) : 

Found your blog through another blog. The photo shows what happens when a hasid goes punk.

cw/chsw

 

Blogger elena said ... (8:12 AM) : 

Alarming facial hair! Doesn't do it for me.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:47 PM) : 

New Yorkers are so wonderfully expressive in the way they dress. I love this and can just see him downtown.

 

Blogger LeBron Games said ... (10:36 AM) : 

This guy. Killin it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:52 AM) : 

His name is Kris Payne

 

Blogger Mz. Paulzen said ... (3:58 PM) : 

Kinda fabulous. The shoes are deliciously insulting.

 

Blogger la susana said ... (11:51 PM) : 

Absolutely love the beard

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:07 AM) : 

This guy is very cool.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting