This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street.... Moscow Man, Moscow

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, December 01, 2008

On the Street.... Moscow Man, Moscow

Comments on "On the Street.... Moscow Man, Moscow"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:41 AM) : 

What a wonderful photo - the colour is exquisite. I love what the subject is wearing, he's totally doing his own thing and it looks really cool.
Great post, Sart, thank you.

 

Blogger Jorge from W Palm Beach said ... (7:46 AM) : 

I like this. I find it interesting that the pattern on the jacket's body does not match the one on either sleeve, but we can overlook that. It is an interesting mix of textures, between the tie, the jacket, and the pants. I could have done without the plaid scarf (the colors and proportions of the plaid are too 80's to be a re-interpretation). Also, pants inside boots should only be used by those with VERY long legs; I won't attempt it. I think it looks good on him though. Jorge from W Palm Beach

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:15 AM) : 

Wow, 3 pieces of neckwear! I have been looking for a colorful scarf like the one he has on, I think it's fun yet doesn't scream "women's scarf". The whole outfit is bold with patterns and colors so that scarf fits right in!

 

Blogger f2images said ... (8:16 AM) : 

Very interesting mix of colors and fabrics. Part of me says it shouldn't work, but when I look at it....it does.

 

Blogger John-Bryan Hopkins said ... (8:23 AM) : 

wonderful!

he has great personal taste but the scarves are rather redundant

above all, I appreciate you showing a guy who is not skinny.

This looks like an average guy expressing himself.

in Moscow...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:36 AM) : 

Are those Army boots? Great look, dark palette overall with slivers of color in the shirt and scarf. Great look. Right amount of stubble.

 

Blogger Apocalypse said ... (9:10 AM) : 

I love the pants. The book tuck reminds me of my Paratrooper days. This guy as a good sence of his own personal style. As usual, dope back drop.

No. 1 with a bullet.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:34 AM) : 

I feel on top there's a bit too much going on with the open scarf, the tied scarf a tie, and you can barely see he has suspenders but I do like how he makes the look casual by adding the military boots. I just got mine friday so I'm gaga for combat boots on just about anything at this point hehe

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:42 AM) : 

Great photo, Sart!! Pure perfection!

What a wonderful idea to combine all those scarves together!

I also like the boots with a suit look especially when the suit trousers are tucked into the boots as seen here. It's very practical in northern climates.

What boots (rain and snow) would you recommend to be worn with a suit? :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:08 AM) : 

Nice smile and attitude, but one scarf too many.

Get rid of the yellow one, loosen the plaid one and exchange the aqua shirt and tie for a simple dark turtleneck.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:10 AM) : 

Sart,
As usual, great stuff. This guy is anchored to his surroundings by the combat style boots. It's like he's growing out of that space.

It'd be great for you to explain your process if you ever had the time. You not only have a great fashion sense but a great eye for the photographic medium. I've mentioned before about how your photos aren't just about the clothing, but the atmosphere and the context. You're creating a historical document. Really very cool. Anyway, like what gear you use. Maybe that's outside what you are trying to accomplish with this site but for someone like me, it'd be just another reason to check this place out.
Thanks

 

Blogger norawoah said ... (10:49 AM) : 

I love that his style is so his own. And I want that scarf!

 

Blogger Olviya said ... (10:49 AM) : 

seems like we've back to the xx century - early beginning!

 

Blogger TEXTSTYLES said ... (11:26 AM) : 

i'm feeling the double scarf

 

Blogger Raul Villalobos said ... (11:39 AM) : 

Love the jacket.... reminds me of Domenico Vacca. Love the pants, I imagine wool. I could do without the hat and the boots showing. As far as the scarves I like the grouping of the colors..... I also think either one, individually would go well with the jacket. What I don't find at all convincing is the same colored tie.

 

Blogger Jill said ... (11:53 AM) : 

You are a brilliant photographer! I'm sure you've heard that many times.

 

Blogger Dominica said ... (12:32 PM) : 

He makes me think a little bit of the clown Popoff...and I don't mean to be insulting, no - I mean it in a good kind of way...he makes me smile...
Lovely man !

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:05 PM) : 

well...i dont't like this outfit

 

Blogger Lama said ... (1:10 PM) : 

it looks like gangs of ny

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:27 PM) : 

This is a wonderful photo! I love the multiple neck pieces, and the hat. The whole look comes off as very utilitarian, I like that!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:31 PM) : 

Nice! It's the subdued colors of all pieces that make the look possible. The rough feel of all materials also make the look.

 

Blogger Cindiddy said ... (2:51 PM) : 

AWWWW... cute man!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:04 PM) : 

2 scarves? i like!

 

Blogger Johanna Lovisa Cecilia said ... (3:07 PM) : 

I love the outfit! A russian guy who has a little bit or pretty much of a French style in his outfot. The fact that he's wearing 2 scarves is great, what a touch! Enough about him!
Love the picture, the background goes so well with the man the jacket and the hat melts in the picture, I absolutely love it!

 

Blogger mette said ... (3:15 PM) : 

Strangely this chap doesn´t look russian at all.We get to see so many russian tourists, that usually they are recognized by far. The yellow scarf is of a nice shade.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:31 PM) : 

Yeah, that's my man! That's how I like to see them, Sart.

 

Blogger Tamsen said ... (3:46 PM) : 

I really appreciate his boldness! Two scarfs-who would have ever thought of that!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:04 PM) : 

Love the trousers...and the ornate door in the background.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:32 PM) : 

he looks artsy..kind of throwback too. it's cool!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:42 PM) : 

He looks like he stepped out of a Dickens novel. Far too much going on here for my liking. Sorry.

 

Blogger Dan in Richmond said ... (4:43 PM) : 

A very individualistic look and it works. It's funny how something as simple as seeing two scarves worn at once strikes as something new. I like the fact that one is tied and the other loose. I might play with that idea myself. Beautiful palette to the whole photo.

 

Blogger Bedlam said ... (5:47 PM) : 

like the photo, what kind of boots ?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:03 PM) : 

I love the buttons on his pants.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:07 PM) : 

the photo is nice, and the colors are great, but i'm not feeling the outfit. feels a little too thought out without being thought out enough, if that makes any sense.

 

Blogger Remah said ... (6:39 PM) : 

Well, this is something new. I'm not sure if I can ever pull off two scarves, this man obviously did! He looks rather artsy and I just love how he coordinated the boots into the outfit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:08 PM) : 

No, seriously. What is this?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:09 PM) : 

this is a great photo.
his mixture of textures is quite interesting and works very well.
i also like his shoes!

 

Blogger Jonathan said ... (8:27 PM) : 

Very smart. What is it with the Russians and boots by the way? They always have such interesting boots.

 

Blogger Move said ... (9:30 PM) : 

i like the pants, and the colors

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:05 PM) : 

the whole look is great- i like that the pants are tucked into the boots. i wouldve liked to see his head, or maybe a more fitted hat.

sart- where have you been? i miss your lovely comments!

 

Blogger Tiger Fodder said ... (10:23 PM) : 

Handsome photo. I love the fabrics and the double scarf is an awesome touch. I will be doing that. I am not crazy about the pants in the boot look, though.

 

Blogger Baybay Mama said ... (10:31 PM) : 

What a great look. I just read your biography and I think it's amazing:) I wish you all the luck in the world!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:36 PM) : 

A lesson on proportion. Well done.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:23 PM) : 

Is that Curly, Larry or Moe?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:24 AM) : 

btw. i like how it is prolly freezing over in moscow, and yet he decides to opt out of the common and oh so boring overcoat/jacket look. its a breath of fresh air to see someone accessorizing and looking so fashionable without having to give up any warmth!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:45 AM) : 

This is all about the textures - he looks great.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:50 AM) : 

Oh! Sergei is wearing my plaid blazer I sold on the street during my first trip to Moscow in the seventees....

 

Blogger Erika Grace said ... (3:04 AM) : 

First: You are an amazing Photographer!
second: I like the two scarf thing! He looks jolly and happy, maybe it's because christmas is around the corner, but he reminds me og a jolly Santa Claus:)

 

Blogger Anneesha said ... (7:31 AM) : 

My first comment here after relying on it for over a year! This column is always a morning inspiration for getting dressed. This man's muted pastel plaid makes me happy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:08 AM) : 

woah...dude, learn to stick w/ one scarf...but at least there're not too feminine ( ugh, i hate it when guys wear feminine accessories.)

other than that...i LOVE how the background kinda completes the pic.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:31 AM) : 

I liked it at first, but then I took a closer look... I don't know... 2 scarves and a tie that almost blends in with the shirt? I'd get rid of the colored scarf (it doesn't match the jacket anyway) and lose the tie. I also think that brown boots would look better with this outfit.

 

Blogger alexander stadler said ... (11:53 AM) : 

There's joy in this, and a certain perverted insouciance. The cap, though, harkens back to
Re-Run from TV's What's Happening and not in a sucessful way.
It is floppy where it should be more crisp.
There's enough lazy volume here already.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:11 PM) : 

I just knew there had to be some men in Moscow! And this one is so charming. With the exception of his glasses he has an "old world" look about him; tweed trousers in his boots, jacket & tie to "go into town" and the cap and scarf against the chill. Swap the glasses for a herding dog and he could slip in and out of centuries. He could send me a text or sell me goat's milk... The squares in the tied scarf together with his jacket are exactly where "perfectly dressed" and "don't give a sh*t" should always meet.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:37 PM) : 

I love this photo. classic.
the background and his expression makes
this photograph.

almost like an oil painting.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:24 PM) : 

What a great shot.

There have been many great photographs on this blog over the years, but this one really struck me. The colors, I suppose.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:02 PM) : 

I love the double scarf detail in this subject. For some reason it adds to the whole outfit.

 

Blogger Bluespana said ... (2:53 PM) : 

I bought boots here in Moscow and someone asked me if I wore them in the Russian way. This is true Russian traditional style with trousers inside boots. Think Cossacks.
Needless to say I had to try the Russian style which works in deep snow.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting