This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street....Vintage Sunday, Paris

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Sunday, November 23, 2008

On the Street....Vintage Sunday, Paris

Comments on "On the Street....Vintage Sunday, Paris"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:29 AM) : 

so lovely! the girl on the left is a gem. (wish we could see her shoe...) her bag is perfect - i love its size and color.

as for the girl on the right...charming too. the top arch of the shoe is the only troublesome feature...too bulky. other than that - where can i get that coat??

 

Blogger Jaime Jun said ... (10:04 AM) : 

wow i love! it's stunning! they look like they just came out of an old, hollywood movie :) i love all your photos, they're so inspirational and classy!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:18 AM) : 

The future meets the past?

 

Blogger cami falcão said ... (10:19 AM) : 

love the bag on the left, adorable!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:21 AM) : 

so much of style

 

Blogger cleo said ... (10:29 AM) : 

so 50's!!!i love it:)

 

Blogger TMFA said ... (10:32 AM) : 

les femmes du art, I don't know French, but that is the first thing that pops up into my mind.
Not my favourite look, but love that it is out there, so great to have variety.

 

Blogger mette said ... (11:05 AM) : 

Not feeling these at all.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:09 AM) : 

What do you call those things the girl on the right is wearing over her shoes? They're amazing!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:17 AM) : 

magical. is that the ghost of ethel rosenberg on the left?

 

Blogger Bellarmine said ... (11:30 AM) : 

Loving their styles! Especially the "boots".

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:31 AM) : 

WOW !

 

Blogger AsianCajuns said ... (11:39 AM) : 

Those outfits are just too perfect - the quirky boots, the fall-colored bags and stylish hats - I love it all. Perhaps those girls were paid to stand there and look Parisian. ;)

 

Blogger Lemming Lime said ... (11:39 AM) : 

so much 'tude,i love it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:59 AM) : 

The lady in the left is so stylish and the shades harmonize just beautifully. Her bag is perfect.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:04 PM) : 

Loooove their style, actually I love vintage. Great color!! Thanks Sart.

 

Blogger Brie said ... (12:36 PM) : 

This is such a wonderful shot! I love those spat boots on the girl in black.

 

Blogger John B Pritchett said ... (12:43 PM) : 

Both are great but the one on the left is indescribably wonderful! Such a sense of classic style. I really need to move to Paris...

 

Blogger qiwy said ... (12:43 PM) : 

Love that vintage look!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:48 PM) : 

Goodness GRACEious! Why have I not moved to Paris yet? The women there just put the rest of us (men and women) to shame. Great shot too, I love your multiple subject candids.

 

Blogger kate cait sith said ... (12:49 PM) : 

Both of them are perfection.

 

Blogger junglesiren said ... (12:59 PM) : 

It's sunday and these ladies are DRESSED. Lovely gals.

It's a rare Sunday when I'm not wearing jeans -- actually today I have lunch with mum and now I'm inspired to surprise her and wear a dress.

I love the spats. Will spend a couple of hours searching for some on line now.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:09 PM) : 

I love this photo! Great shapes and colours - the girl on the left looks wonderful, her hair is just beautiful. the girl on the right has more edge but both of them are really cool. Perfect post for a sunday morning...

 

Blogger Victoria Thorne said ... (1:35 PM) : 

the girl on the left is beyond classic: what a fabulous look...a symphony in auburn, so wonderful...is she channeling Peggy a bit, from Mad Men? perfect.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:58 PM) : 

so great... almost effortless

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:01 PM) : 

Sunday Spats! Love.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:03 PM) : 

I absolutely love it. Everything about it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:22 PM) : 

Adele Mildred is divine!

 

Blogger Relaunched said ... (2:25 PM) : 

"Allez, venez, Milord! Vous asseoir à ma table. Il fait si froid, dehors.... ba-dada-da-da-da.... The left is rembering me on Edith Piaf. GREAT!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:42 PM) : 

love it!
such a beautiful photo in so many ways -- thank you scott!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:58 PM) : 

The looks are interesting, but in terms of real-life, I can't say I'm inspired. I love how the woman on the left carries herself, and I would give an arm and a leg for that burnt orange bag.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:01 PM) : 

How nostalgic. I like their looks. Makes the world feel more whimsical. I'm tired of seeing dark and solemn fashion these days. Although the world is falling apart, it's nice to see an uplifting style express a positive feeling. Fashion can be recession-therapy for us all!

 

Blogger Alex said ... (3:03 PM) : 

The style is ... crazy!!!!!!

 

Blogger marrriahhhh. said ... (3:08 PM) : 

oh mann, that dress on the left, might be to die for.
and i quite love how the woman on the left is standing,
yet another good one Sartorialist.

 

Blogger Marquis de Lannes said ... (3:42 PM) : 

Au Jardin des Tuileries, le vintaigne se melange a la mode la plus fashion! Paris, Paris, paris!

 

Blogger Bianca Kristensen said ... (3:47 PM) : 

this is great. all of it.

- LLL.com

 

Blogger seawallrunner said ... (4:31 PM) : 

the girl on the left is lovely, my eyes turned to her first (but lose that orange watch, sister!)

I love what the girl on the right is wearing, but her coat and shoes appear too big for her.

 

Blogger Brigadeiro said ... (4:36 PM) : 

Absolutely stunning! They look like they walked off a fashion shoot, love the quirky items, and even though it's vintage, looks so 'present'. GORGEOUS!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:41 PM) : 

I guess not many people agree with me, but I think this is a little ridiculous. The woman on the right looks great. She's playing with her look, and I love her shoes. But the woman on the left is absurd. That's not great style. That's a costume. If she had done something modern with her hair while wearing that hat it would have been so much better. Or maybe an edgier jacket. I don't know, but it's not working for me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:51 PM) : 

Great looks!

Handmade spats/gaiters can be found here:

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5588912

I don't have an association with this site, I just remember seeing them here and am a strong supporter of handmade.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:03 PM) : 

Forever Vintage!!! keep those old fur coats alive.

 

Blogger The Clever Pup said ... (6:55 PM) : 

The woman on the left has her vintage look down pat, although she should have stockings on.

The womann on the right...she scares me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:23 PM) : 

I've seen many women with the look on the left (though this particular woman does it really well), but the woman on the right is unique and looks so bad ass. The spats, coat, hat, glasses, and bag are all hot! I just love her.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:37 PM) : 

That's probably my favorite Sartorialist picture to date. It could not be more perfect.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:55 PM) : 

I love this picture so much! The oranges and grays are fantastic, and I love their hem lengths. So cool. Stephanie

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:47 PM) : 

I tend to agree that the woman on the left looks good but not modern, she has not made these clothes her own and looks as though she stepped of a stage set, far too costumey. The woman on the right on the other hand..she may be dressed in vintage clothes but they look absolutely right and modern.

 

Blogger John-Bryan Hopkins said ... (9:53 PM) : 

nice

I think these ladies' sense of taste exemplifies the "look" of this decade.

Spot on.

 

Blogger swilek said ... (10:02 PM) : 

love the girl on the left...looks like something out of the tv show Mad Men! I'd like to know where more vintage thrift stores are in Paris. I found this amazing one in Montmarte:)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:26 PM) : 

i often wonder what the closet of people dressed like this looks like. i mean i could throw maybe one outfit together that looks like this, but to do it everyday must be difficult. i can only imagine that such an eccentric style has to cost $$$. like the girl on the right. how often could she wear those shoes without looking too repeated? and the dress on the left, the same thing. i guess thats why i stick with basic pieces of neutral colors-so i can repeat often. and i can only dream of veering from my norm someday.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:24 PM) : 

The tan/burnt orange bag worn by the woman on the left reminds me of a Furla bag that was being sold about a year ago. Both women look fab.

T.

 

Blogger marionpauline said ... (12:39 AM) : 

ooh spats! delish :)

 

Blogger Breathless said ... (1:37 AM) : 

I love vintage and I love these girls! The colours the girl on the left are wearing are spectacular.

 

Blogger Dominica said ... (1:46 AM) : 

The left girl stands out because she wears it so well !
The coat and her hair are exactly the same ...wow !
I don't like the other girl that much but maybe it's just because her odd way of standing and her hat looks a bit funny...but then again, it's just one second and in real life, who knows, she looks fab !

 

Blogger Daughter said ... (2:34 AM) : 

This couldn't really be yesterday in Paris, since yesterday in Paris it was snowing!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:39 AM) : 

For the fun of identification -- the girl on the right is wearing platform oxfords from Chloe fall 2006 with spats over them.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:06 AM) : 

The woman on the left is my new hero. I love vintage and I love her. Stylish, timeless and practical. Not a fan of the watch though . . .

 

Blogger cat minoki said ... (4:14 AM) : 

They look good,yes,the bags, dress, coat, attitude... But my first impression was: Disguised and neurotic. May be its all the red in the pic that makes me saying that... :)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:41 AM) : 

Gorgeous.

Brick Lane meets cool Parisian Chic?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:53 AM) : 

I realize that I am in the minority when I say this but they look very costumey, like they stole the outfits from some old movie set and plus they look twice their age. the one on the right looks borderline extra-terrestrial. If the one on the left had tried some different shades and let her dress be the focal point instead of looking like a crayola box then it might've worked but its just too much..imho

 

Blogger Celia said ... (8:59 AM) : 

I am loving the print dress and those spats!!! What a perfect mix of old and new on these two.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:21 AM) : 

Are those half-chaps?!? Too bad it looks like her feet are killing her.

If the girl on the left were wearing stockings she would be perfect. Except for that one small detail, she could be a time traveler

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:25 AM) : 

So lovely! I want to see people like this, their dresses make me happy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:47 PM) : 

wow!amazing style.
like a flashback from old times.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:36 PM) : 

those are some wicked girls!

 

Blogger Cameron Adams said ... (3:20 PM) : 

Thaetrical fun! That the coat at right seems a tad large on her bothers me not. Such is thrifting.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:35 PM) : 

i believe their fashion makes up for their looks, sorry to say that but eh its true i think. its really great fashion

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:37 PM) : 

I wore my mother's vintage Mouton coat for years (e.g. the girl on the left, Mouton is clipped and dyed sheepskin I believe)and trust me those mofo's weigh a TON! So fun to wear though. Nothing else conjures up the 40's quite like Mouton.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:01 AM) : 

Girl on the left looks fabulous. Girl on the right has a nice coat and horrible posture.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:21 AM) : 

oooohhhh where can i get the yellow bag? so cute

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:27 AM) : 

one of the coolest pics ever!!!

 

Blogger jensenn said ... (2:58 AM) : 

everytime i look at this picture i keep thinking of halloween.

the bag reminds me of a pumpkin + all the orange hues and the girl on the right dresses nice but i can't help but picture a witch and i am just waiting for her to take off in flight on her broom.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:58 AM) : 

the girl on the left - ADELE MILDRED
...perfect style as usual :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:03 PM) : 

The girl on the left has a Furla bag..its name is "Frida". Gorgeous!!

Martina

 

Blogger suzyyun said ... (10:23 PM) : 

The Lady on the left is ADELE MILDRED.
In addition to being gorgeous perfection, she is also a very talented painter.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:43 AM) : 

I saw these girls too! they were dressed up for the Christian Dior show during fashion week.
They were very beautiful and impressive, but a little costumey, yes

 

Blogger Kate said ... (8:58 AM) : 

The woman on the left is perfection!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:42 AM) : 

Gorgeous!

 

Blogger Sarah C said ... (9:54 AM) : 

Stunning- and Scott, I love that you caught the girl on the right with lifting up her shoe. It adds something extra to the picture. Wonderful shot!

 

Blogger Belle de Ville said ... (2:34 PM) : 

Love the hats!
So Parisienne

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:45 AM) : 

I remember seeing this on styleclicker. I just checked and a picture of the woman on the left was posted on October 14th-- you can see the details of her outfit. The woman on the right was posted on October 29th, but in a different outfit. Check it out!

 

Blogger andrea.at.the.blue.door said ... (5:07 PM) : 

What fun! And what precisely is wrong with costumey? Sometimes it's good to have a bird of paradise around. That said, I might have opted for green tights to pick up the green of the flamework dress (I'd kill for five yards of that fabric!)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:22 AM) : 

the vintage look is always a good life trend.

Amazing!

 

Blogger The Curateur said ... (10:31 AM) : 

I love it. It's a little heavy on the retro for me and reminds me a bit too much of Ab Fab ladies, but kudos for daring to stand next to each other and reveling in the camp.

 

Blogger Pistachio Of Liberty said ... (9:47 PM) : 

I agree there's nothing wrong with costumey, but I still think it's better to come just short of it. Someone mentioned that more modern hair would have been nice - but really I think it's the hat that makes it over the top. To do a hat like that today and have it look serious, it would best be the star of a more austere ensemble... one evoking no identifiable era.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:46 AM) : 

Ah, that chestnut fur jacket and handbag are insane! Doesn't get any better for me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:33 PM) : 

left makes me smile. truly perfect! i love her hair!

right makes me confused. seems like shes trying to hard. way too hard. its just not doing it for me whatsoever.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:45 PM) : 

Love the footwear on the right. Is that a boot or pumps with some sort of spats thing on top? Either way, it's marvelous!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:06 PM) : 

I completely adore this photo....the colours are amazing! it looks as if they planned their outfits to match...they probably did!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:56 PM) : 

I do love the skirt that the woman on the left is wearing.Too much of a 50's,nice look though.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:00 PM) : 

Even though the girl on the left looks like an actress from "mad men" the tv series,I'd die to see people in outfits like hers, i love love love her dress and above all the nose structure and the lipstick!

 

Blogger Laura said ... (3:52 AM) : 

incredible! i want everything.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:39 AM) : 

fabulous

 

Blogger Baum said ... (7:46 AM) : 

te invitamos a visitar nuesta tienda Baum-vintage en barcelona!!!
gracias!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:50 PM) : 

girl on left did not offset the vintage or balance it out. Too costumey. Right is cool, like a Parisian Sienna Miller.

 

Blogger Jen said ... (1:30 PM) : 

My goodness. I am so obsessed with spats right now. WHERE CAN I GET ONES LIKE THESE?!?!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:43 PM) : 

the girl on the right especially is extremely interesting- the angle of her foot is so jarring. i love these examples of people with those interesting flaws that make you want to know them. Neither of these girls has very much innate elegance, but at least to me that is very captivating here.they look like they could ride a bus and not look TOO out of place.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:42 AM) : 

I am one who dresses like the girl on the left, so I have heard it all: costumey, dated, trying too hard, twice my age, etc. It goes in one ear and out the other. The look isn't about money, since I've owned these pieces for years. It's not about thrift, because many similar pieces are in stores today. It's about creativity, mixing what I have in endless combinations, and expressing myself in that moment. Tomorrow I may dress classic in camelhair trousers and loafers. As for the crayola comment, it's refreshing to see someone wearing colors that flatter her skintone and not relying on black as a safety net like so many do. Defining what is elegance and looking out of place is all subjective.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:36 PM) : 

The girl on the left really recalls Bette Davis.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting