This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street...Natasha S., Moscow

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, November 03, 2008

On the Street...Natasha S., Moscow


I met Natasha at one of the fashion shows I attended while I was in Moscow. I knew I had to shoot her but I didn't have my camera with me. I asked her to stop by the Harpers Bazaar Russia shoot I was doing the next day, and to bring a few of her favorite looks.
She is an absolute doll, she LOVES fashion and and is the top student at her fashion school. She brought her camera with pics of different hair styles that she can do by herself in under 10 minutes.

Natasha and the other young ladies from Moscow I have posted so far, to me, represent the new Russian style.
Not that there is a specific "Russian Look" yet but this generation is past worrying about labels, labels, labels and is really embracing the fun and artistry that fashion can provide to our daily lives.

Tonight I will post the other image we took that day.

Comments on "On the Street...Natasha S., Moscow"

 

Blogger Jorge from W Palm Beach said ... (8:05 AM) : 

I wonder what type of event or setting this outfit would be good for. Maybe it is more of an abstract look than something that is actually wearable? I like the shoes with the tights/stockings though. Jorge from W Palm Beach

 

Blogger Syed said ... (8:08 AM) : 

Love her hair, and the yellow cardigan is delightful :)

 

Blogger Brigadeiro said ... (8:11 AM) : 

Wow! Natasha sure cuts an impressive figure! From hair to toe! Vibrant and bold! Love that yellow cardigan.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:27 AM) : 

very beautiful.
i love it.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:28 AM) : 

WOW!!She made a statement with that look.

Love the yellow cardigan, it breaks my image of a grey Russia.

Although, is it really possible to be out on the street without tights? Isn't she freezing? Is it really possible to walk with those shoes?...Who cares! She looks great and seems like a funny happy girl

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:28 AM) : 

that is one killer look.
i don't want to be killed.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:29 AM) : 

she looks truly sweet and pretty
but she looks cold, poor dear! her legs are turning bluish

carlito from rome

 

Blogger melur said ... (8:31 AM) : 

i love the color and so the hairdo!
super fab!

 

Blogger STEFANIE said ... (8:35 AM) : 

Wow she looks great! Her hair is amzing, the sweater is very cool and the shoes+socks is adorable!
Can't wait to see the other image you took!

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (8:35 AM) : 

FYI
it was not really cold that day

It was actually colder in NYC than it was in Moscow.

 

Blogger Dave and Catherine said ... (8:38 AM) : 

My favorite thing about Moscow fashion is the fact that, no matter how warm it is (I lived there this summer), the women always wear socks or nylons with their ridiculously high heels (by the way, it's nigh impossible to find flats there), even if they're strappy sandals! It's quite a statement.

 

Blogger TMFA said ... (8:39 AM) : 

She has got such a nice style. All your pictures of Russian women so far are just absolutely phenomenal.

 

Blogger cami falcão said ... (8:40 AM) : 

she is fun!

 

Blogger Petulia said ... (8:41 AM) : 

Very nice, perfect contrast with the background. Looking forward to seeing other pictures

 

Blogger Dan in Richmond said ... (8:45 AM) : 

A lovely face and she's clearly having fun playing with her style. I think the socks lessen the severity of the shoe style by adding a playful, slouchy touch- I don't think these shoes would work with the cardigan without the socks, as surprizing a combination as it is.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:10 AM) : 

I love the high hair with the high heels and the boldness with which she dresses. you can tell natasha is someone who loves dressing up and experimenting and who injects her sense of style with humour.
It's interesting to read your views on what you saw and who you photographed, Sart, i'm sure i'm not the only one who would love to read more about your experiences in Moscow.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:13 AM) : 

This look feels like it could be seen at any American Apparel window.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:17 AM) : 

What a great idea to showcase all this Moscow fashion. I had no idea that they had such crazy good style over there. I love how they use shape in their looks-- can't wait to see more.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:22 AM) : 

I love her look, wearing a cardigan like a dress is a great idea.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:34 AM) : 

Oversized grandpa cardigans are probably one of my favorite things, ever, on ladies. Though, I've got to admit, Natasha should have worn some leggings or tights, because I can see how cold her legs are -- they're red and spotty! But, the look is so good.

 

Blogger Fashion Tidbits said ... (9:36 AM) : 

love those Tribute pumps

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:41 AM) : 

The yellow cardigan lights up the gray town in the background! and It looks warm end pretty too. I like the expression on her face, you really get a feeling of a woman who isn't afraid to wear what she feels and is proud of herself.

 

Blogger do you like my tight sweater said ... (9:45 AM) : 

these pics from Moscow are very exciting for me because they are so different from my imagination of 'russian style'. :D
these girls are fun and brave and colorful.. thanks for the pics, sorry for my broken english.

 

Blogger Mara said ... (9:52 AM) : 

It would be neat if we could search posts by country. I noticed you're documenting russia now. I'm very interested.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:59 AM) : 

for some reason, she reminds me of Jill Scott.

Go figure.

 

Blogger whyioughtta said ... (10:09 AM) : 

I can see that she is strong stylistically, but I wondered the same thing as Jorje (first comment): unless you work in the fashion industry (which it sounds like she does)...isn't this really more of a fashion exercise than an example of street style?

I do love the cardi, though...the colour is great. And she seems like a fun person who approaches fashion with a sense of humour.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:10 AM) : 

Great pic, Sart, please tell us more about Moscow.

By the way, did you take pictures of men there as well? I would love to see those.

 

Blogger M.R.Ambrose said ... (10:13 AM) : 

It seems to me that getting away from "labels, labels, labels" allows and demands more creativity and a true sense of style. I amend the person who digs through the racks at thrift stores, flea markets, and vintage shops to create something truly unique.

While I understand the desire and want for authentic labels, just as an art collector desires authentic paintings, I believe there should be more emphasis on the budget fashion-sense. Particularly when young women do not have the means to support label lifestyles.

For myself, I love to watch runway fashion and see what designers are creating. But I realize that there is no way I could afford anything from these collections. I take part in designer fashion only as an admirer of its art and for inspiration. Young women need to be encouraged to have less emphasis on labels and more on the art of fashion. Bravo for this young lady and her fashion peers!

 

Blogger meredith said ... (10:26 AM) : 

Fun! I like her.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (10:26 AM) : 

for whyioughtta
These are her clothes and she is a student....these clothes might not be items she will wear later in life but they seem to work for her right now.

 

Blogger qiwy said ... (10:31 AM) : 

her look is too much!!

 

Blogger norawoah said ... (10:32 AM) : 

I love yellow and gray together. I also love crazy hair, she's bold and loving being young and fun!

 

Blogger twelve.dollar.soup said ... (10:33 AM) : 

This is fantastic. Her hair!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:38 AM) : 

Bonjour,

Yellow is sunshine. It is a warm color that denotes happiness and joy. She looks so fresh.

Merci, Zoé

 

Blogger lifesabatch said ... (10:44 AM) : 

Although I would never be caught wearing anything like this, I so do appreciate her originality. I only wish I had it in me to take such risks with so much confidence!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:48 AM) : 

Great picture, but I have to disagree with your view of the new generation and their fashion choices. When I visited Moscow last year, I saw a lot of girls my age (early 20s) wear plain or bedazzled shirts with "Versace!" or "D&G" on the front. The outfits would always look classic and flattering, but it was obvious label concerns were there.
Most young female Moscowites are from outside of Moscow and they came to Moscow to pursue "the dream", which is to marry a successful young man and upgrade from "designer" to designer clothes. Hence, they'll wear fakes until that moment comes. I would say the girls that you've shown here aren't representative of what girls there really wear. I don't remember seeing anyone on forefront of fashion, and I was there for a month all around Moscow. I find that most women there are very well put together, but to say that they don't care about labels anymore...well, that's like saying nobody in Russia remembers communism.
Moscow is still quite new to designer clothes, so it'll take some time for the cravings to subside.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (11:03 AM) : 

for Anon 10:48
Every country has those girls but they are not the fashion leaders.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:08 AM) : 

One fashion photographer predict that Moscow will be fashion capital of this decade. So London and Paris is the PAST.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:08 AM) : 

Si en Madrid, hoy hay 8ºC es absolutamente imposible caminar sin medias por Moscu... un look de andar por casa

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:19 AM) : 

the yellow is captivating. it slims a large girl too!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:20 AM) : 

they got Sart as well:

http://mainpeople.ru/photo/1/Alena_Akhmadullina_na_Lexus_Neo_Couture:1/145098/

 

Blogger brittany said ... (11:37 AM) : 

That hair looks like it took less then 10 minutes and has me perplexed. I'd love to see the others!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:38 AM) : 

I have to agree with a previous post that these pictures do not represent Moscow street style to me, even though the people you've featured are stunning. I found the women's style there unabashedly feminine and groomed, even when it was clear that they didn't have a lot of money. Always a full face of makeup and towering heels. It did veer into tackiness at times, but more often than not, it was dizzingly beautiful. I would love to read more about your impressions of Moscow.

 

Blogger Amy Williams said ... (11:38 AM) : 

Just fabulous! Such confidence.

 

Blogger Lady Lala said ... (11:44 AM) : 

love her hair!!! gorgeous...maybe the yellow pullover is too fluor!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:55 AM) : 

Delightful!! But get some clothes on that young lady! She looks as if she's about to freeze to death.

 

Blogger Dominica said ... (11:57 AM) : 

wow, am dying to see the other picture ! I'll bet she's a cameleon....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:04 PM) : 

It's not that easy to buy in Moscow casual basic things like good grey cashmere sweater or little black dress not luxury brands. Just awful chip garbage. So I hate doing shopping in Moscow.
Sart, you should go to St. Petersburg in spring. As the temperature is just 10-15C girls start wearing summer dresses. freeziiiing
Thanks for great pics!

 

Blogger TEXTSTYLES said ... (12:07 PM) : 

so gorgeous and playful
and the cardi is the most!
want her earrings too

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:08 PM) : 

love it, looks nice and comfy too. Those shoes would too high for me at fashion week, I suppose that's part of the fun.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:14 PM) : 

Love the yellow and the sock/heels combo.

 

Blogger Breathless said ... (12:20 PM) : 

Adorable!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:32 PM) : 

this is very 80s but i like it. i bet she wears this at home when she is whipping up some deicious dinner for the 5 or so guests that randomly drop by her groovy pad.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:33 PM) : 

I like this outfit a lot better than other outfits from Moscow but it's not nearly as great as some looks from NYC, Paris, and other cities I've seen on this website.
And one more thing I keep wondering about... Does she actually walk around the town dressed like this?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:02 PM) : 

what a BEAUTIFUL pair of shoes

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:08 PM) : 

Cute girl. But the look is a bit too 80s; maybe because for me it's "been there, done that" already in the 1980s. Nice to see her having fun with fashion, though.

 

Blogger Media Peasant said ... (1:14 PM) : 

But... but... SHE FORGOT PANTS!!


http://www.mediapeasant.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:17 PM) : 

I love the whole look.

And those who have complained about the "twigs" in previous shots should be happy about this healthy normal-sized young woman.

 

Blogger JEYQ said ... (1:18 PM) : 

she looks amazing, and the hair pulls the look together. i'm suddenly craving an oversized yellow cardigan.

 

Blogger The Boot said ... (1:23 PM) : 

That girl is dy-no-mite.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:29 PM) : 

She's fabulous. The most vibrant personality you have captured so far. I wish her every success.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:54 PM) : 

@sartorialist
But, when you say "this generation", it sounds like you're speaking of more people than just the few fashion leaders you've found. Their style isn't widespread, so it isn't representative. Plus, most of the girls you've featured here are really heavy on trends, rocking 2 at a time, so to me they're not quite leaders, but, rather, are trend-informed and -conscious. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:57 PM) : 

yes!! women in moscow (russia) do wear heels like that every day just on a regular basis!!! it is hard to imagine but they feel more comfortable and confident in them rather than wearing flats. it is hard to look overdressed in Moscow as it is in USA. whenever I wear my high-heels here everybody looks at me like a I am crazy.
p.s. i wonder what fashion school she is in

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:21 PM) : 

I have to admit I have been stunned by the beauty and creativity of the Moscow fashion scene. It blows me away. The girl in this photo is really an exclamation point to the whole series. She does it all with this outfit, my compliments!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:22 PM) : 

i like her cardigan...but don't like yellow colour.
i hope she has a car :) because now in russia is rather cold :(( i'm going to buy warm mittens :)

 

Blogger Maggie May said ... (3:42 PM) : 

delightful!!! makes me happy to look at her.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:57 PM) : 

I see the Russians are still fond of the pumps/socks combo.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:02 PM) : 

CAn´t wait to see the rest of the photos!! She is really a doll!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:15 PM) : 

i don't like this at all. to me, it looks messy...though the woman in the photo is beautiful and her smile is contagious.

 

Blogger OndrejS said ... (4:22 PM) : 

Overall it is an interesting look but for me it lacks elegance and that what I tend to look for so much in women. This actually applies to all the Moscow shots. Compare it with the Milan pictures. There is also fur and to an extend the individual pieces tend to be rather "bulky". But it keeps the elegance.... Maybe these shots are indeed the demonstration of the beginning new distinct "Russian" style. But I am not the biggest fan...

 

Blogger cat minoki said ... (4:39 PM) : 

Hi Scott, I don´t know what the others said so far, but it is so sweet what you wrote about Natasha!
Your description and your words about the generation that´s left the label-question behind is showing where your heart is.
I admire you even more now! ***

 

Blogger Rakel said ... (4:40 PM) : 

She really has a personal Style! I love that!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:40 PM) : 

I love you. I love your blog.

 

Blogger 0lga D said ... (5:28 PM) : 

colors are good.. but -maybe cause i`m from Russia -i dont like this look..too cold here now...))

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:30 PM) : 

i like whats going on with her wardrobe, but the updo has got to go.

 

Blogger Miguel said ... (7:04 PM) : 

Jesus!!!! She looks like my sis...

 

Blogger Eyeliah said ... (7:35 PM) : 

she really IS too cool, love her style.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:47 PM) : 

like her , she's totally kool. ready for the day and yet for the night out. ah !

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:29 PM) : 

So glad you posted this funky woman with the fun hair & bright colors. I'm totally into original style!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:00 PM) : 

Wow, me being Russian, I totally know what you mean- it's great that the Russian style is changing from how you said, "labels, labels, labels" into a both playful and serious take on the artistry of fashion. It's awesome to see more stuff like this, very inspiring!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:32 PM) : 

Don't like the hair... and the overall outfit seems too funky for me. love the shoes anyway.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:56 PM) : 

I dont see anything substantial in these "looks". First time I am put off by The Sartorialist subject choice. Just my honest opinion.

 

Blogger the sophisticat said ... (11:19 PM) : 

Perfection. I want more. But I still love Moschino-wearing Russians...

 

Blogger Cassaundra said ... (1:37 AM) : 

she really is incredible.
that yellow.
that hair.
those heels & socks.

gosh, she's amazing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:20 AM) : 

Love her! She nailed it!!! Nothing more to add. I don't understand the comments about wearability of this outfit.

Damn, this makes me miss my home town.

Please share more experiences from Moscow.

 

Blogger Fashion Puzzles said ... (7:34 AM) : 

bright and fresh
love it

 

Blogger Streetyle said ... (8:54 AM) : 

Love the choice of socks, making the shoes not that "separate"

 

Blogger Olviya said ... (9:22 AM) : 

great!
i like her look. it seems like she inspired by north europe fashion, like Hollandб Denmark...

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:58 PM) : 

I like the color of her cardigan.

I agree. I'm so tired of the false belief stating that labels, labels, labels are very "hot." In reality, too much "labels" look tawdry. Fashion is experimentation...fashion is creative...fashion is fun...fashion means to be yourself!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:12 PM) : 

This outfit didn't look quite right when I first looked at it. Maybe it's because she's normal-sized. Natch!

I think the elements of the outfit are all great individually - the hair, the Edie Sedgwick-esque earrings, the nubby cardigan and the socks with killer heels.

All together they make a strange mixture of super-original and rustic comforts...

If I was drawing inspiration from this outfit I'd pick a single element and make the rest more understated, which would probably be more striking.

Surprisingly inspiring! I don't know what I was expecting from Moscow (lots of fur?) but all the pics so far have been a pleasant surprise. And of course we love hearing your thoughts on it all... Keep it up!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:04 AM) : 

I do like her socks, but the yellow knit does nothing to enhance her shape. She would look even prettier if she choose clothes that give her extra assets.

 

Blogger Holly Brindley said ... (2:27 AM) : 

socks and heels, my love.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:51 AM) : 

I love her outfit <3. I don't like her hair, but the clothes, WOW!

 

Blogger Claire, said ... (7:15 PM) : 

Oh my goodness, I love her. I love what you have written here...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:43 PM) : 

she looks like a giant banana...very fun though...

 

Blogger Tim McFarlane said ... (8:09 PM) : 

Love the sweater! She's very pretty and I like the high hair.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting