This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street.....Paris & Milan

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Friday, October 24, 2008

On the Street.....Paris & Milan





Comments on "On the Street.....Paris & Milan"

 

Blogger Jorge from W Palm Beach said ... (8:34 AM) : 

Mr. Sartorialist, you are going to get it today and you know it! There will be cyber-soy-pie-flinging at your blog today! I am all for fur provided the animals are painlessly put down. I digress, this is a fashion/style blog! It takes courage to wear a fur vest when most people associate the material with an "investment" coat to treasure for years. I have to say my favorite of all is the girl with the tartan- she pairs her vest with an edgy skirt, those otherworldly shoes and the thick socks, and she makes it all work! I also like the 3rd image where the vest is accessorized with a belt and a shiny buckle, the pairing of something wild and something shiny somehow pulls the garment together. All of them great looks, let the pie flinging begin! Jorge from W Palm Beach

 

Blogger Susan B said ... (8:46 AM) : 

Oh how funny...I was just in Paris last week and blogged about how these vests were in every shop window. I guess les Parisiennes are buying.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:47 AM) : 

I don't think the furry/sheepskin gilet is a look everyone can pull off. Proportion is crucial. I feel the girl in the third shot with her long red kilt and pushed down socks has got it just right - great colour too.

 

Blogger [H] said ... (8:54 AM) : 

Oh my .. this is so hot for me! I can't resist fur's woman. I'm from Venezuela and we got a saying about it ... "Donde hay pelos hay alegria" in English goes like this: "Where is hair there is hapinnes" or something like that.

 

Blogger saray said ... (8:58 AM) : 

you gotta love your fur

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:01 AM) : 

the first doesn't work for me, it's a bit too much mixed togehter - fur west AND chequered dress AND ankle boots - no.

the obviously very real fur west in the third gives me the creeps. i know it's a very luxurious thing to own, but i could never wear something so... hmm.. how to put it... obscene?

unfortunately, that's exactly the problem of the wests in second and forth shot: look like carpets.... grizzly!

 

Blogger TMFA said ... (9:03 AM) : 

The last woman looks like a bird. I am not sure if I am digging that coat haha. The rest of them look stylish as only you can capture them The Sart.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:28 AM) : 

Very Rachel Zoe

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:34 AM) : 

Great story

 

Blogger mm said ... (9:42 AM) : 

rachel zoe anyone?

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (9:46 AM) : 

Proportion is key. Love the oversized wooly vest with very narrow bottoms and high heels. Beautiful.

 

Blogger Dan in Richmond said ... (9:46 AM) : 

I think the top outfit, even though made up of seemingly disparate elements, and again ones I don't like that much individually, works somehow, including the retro-looking hairstyle. She looks good. The bottom one (outside the building in Milano where you photographed the two blondes in leggings I believe)is very interesting even though I can't see all the details- what I can see looks great.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:46 AM) : 

It may just be me, but I can't help but thinking about Rachel Zoe in each one of these photos.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:50 AM) : 

is it not fall yet on the continent? so many bare legs & arms!

 

Blogger S (formerly of Modern-Guilt) said ... (10:08 AM) : 

I'm adoring all of these looks.

 

Blogger okso said ... (10:11 AM) : 

hmm, i suppose Mr. Kafka has discovered fashion-design.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:14 AM) : 

All of them look great, and I wish I had one of those vests.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:15 AM) : 

This is a swell "How to wear fur: Cute to Couture" blog entry.

 

Blogger Mette said ... (10:16 AM) : 

Yum. Furrrr.

 

Blogger Vanna said ... (10:17 AM) : 

These all look great. I've been jonesing for a fur vest for the past few months, and these just cement my craving.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:27 AM) : 

Staring at my lambskin meditation rug and considering a make over...

 

Blogger Keisha Kornbread said ... (10:34 AM) : 

Is it so cold there that they aren't sweating in these fur garments? I see leaves on trees....so wearing these vests looks a little, well, stupid to me.

 

Blogger jessicadrhp said ... (10:43 AM) : 

like the last photo best actually. it must be the volume. and her shoes are great. the shoes of the lady next to her are awesome too. wish the lady in the second photo had her hair in a sleek bob, i dont think the look needed more 'ruffle' to it. like the fur and the bare legs though

 

Blogger Krysta Marie said ... (10:46 AM) : 

love these pics :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:51 AM) : 

Flashback to the Flintstones - Pebbles is wearing Bam Bam's clothes... adorable the way my 10 year old daughter can recklessly get dressed for school and look unknowingly charming.

I am more interested in the clothes worn by the tall woman talking to her friend wearing daisy duke shorts and a flokati... she looks rather "yes, I tumble out of bed this chic"...

 

Blogger John B Pritchett said ... (10:51 AM) : 

I'm not an anti-fur person but I might become one just because these garments are way too bulky and caveman era. I guess I like a more trim, streamlined look...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:52 AM) : 

I'm sure you'll get loads of comments from people appalled in 2 ways: about the wearing of dead animals, and the fact that these vests mostly look like bathmats.
And you can count this comment among the above.

 

Blogger Chester said ... (11:08 AM) : 

I'm not fascinated with the clothes but, Sart, the first picture - what a shot.

 

Blogger Chelsea Martin said ... (11:16 AM) : 

Carpet-coats-ew.

 

Blogger Delmy said ... (11:23 AM) : 

Love LOve LOVE

 

Blogger Vintage Lollipops said ... (11:30 AM) : 

Since it's virtually impossible to narrow down a favorite... I'll cave, and fall in-love with each one!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:34 AM) : 

Fur and plaid -- is this because Sarah Palin brought Alaska into the limelight? And I suppose the vests would double well as rugs, so it is very Jane Six-Pack.

 

Blogger ryder said ... (11:39 AM) : 

nice to see different versions of this look-not an easy one to pull off.

 

Blogger missvoltage said ... (11:43 AM) : 

Not sure about fur vests... I was a fan when I was 19, but not so much now. Although... I really like the dress on the first girl.

 

Blogger SE@N said ... (11:56 AM) : 

Love the 3rd one, is that Louis Vuitton? I couldn't agree more that they're very Rachael Zoe. That's why I love her...

 

Blogger Brigadeiro said ... (11:57 AM) : 

They sure are working those fur vests, and that's not an easy task, I don't think...They all look amazing! Ooh! I think the lady in the 3rd pic has the same Marni heels as I do, haha!

 

Blogger junglesiren said ... (12:11 PM) : 

Hmmm, Rachel Zoe - and that's not a compliment.

I like the lady in the middle. She looks pulled together, the proportions are right, the fur (no, I'm not a fur proponent - I have a beautiful fox fur muffler {scarf?} and I can't wear it because it feels like my doggy's tail) is actually lovely, her shoes, her hair, the skirt - it's working .

The others are varying degrees of okay to bad and there's certainly nothing I'm excited about. That lady in the last picture literally looks like a furry box (no sex pun intended).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:39 PM) : 

gilets are THE WORST thing to happen to fashion this season (scratch that, ever). i can appreciate that it's innovative to use such a high-impact fabric like fur (or shag carpeting, apparently), but i feel like texture in fabrics should make you want to touch them, not get them spayed.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:40 PM) : 

These fur coats are very interesting, very bulky but some how they look good. I always like softness of the fur but i usually preferred to have fur shawls.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:43 PM) : 

#2 vest is from Zara.

 

Blogger mette said ... (12:44 PM) : 

I like the first and the third best. Not so keen on the vests though.I think you have to be petite on the front if you decide wearing one.

 

Blogger Wanderlusting said ... (12:45 PM) : 

I like the first one. Don't know why, but maybe it's her confidence, or the black balance. I think it works, in an odd way. Plus I love her "sweet" hair.

I don't LOVE real fur but I do LOVE the look of it - fake, real, whatever. And though I could never bring myself to buy something with fur, I think vintage is OK. Otherwise it was all in vain.

 

Blogger green lantern said ... (12:47 PM) : 

From top to bottom:
No
Yes
No
Yes
No

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:51 PM) : 

Beautiful!!! I love all furs and those in particular! Lovely...they look so stylish and warmy...lovely.
Xoxo.

 

Blogger Ms. Katee/e-polishblog said ... (1:03 PM) : 

I am totally OUT for the fur vests. These look garish.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:06 PM) : 

S.O.S! I know we are supposed to comment on teh fur, but i HAVE to know... who makes the shoes in teh first photo. The photo of the blond in the plaid dress with teh slip on black booties? Anyone want to help a sister out?

 

Blogger D. said ... (1:17 PM) : 

Look, I'll set aside the fact that buying fur deserves contempt and keep this about aesthetics. These things are hideous. It's boxy without looking classy, deliberate, or complimentary to the outfit it's part of. They might as well be wearing sandwich boards.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:19 PM) : 

Proportion is needed. I like the small ones but the oversized seem carpets.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:25 PM) : 

No.

Pictures 2, 4 and 5 especially look like something Sonny Bono would have worn in the '60s. Or the Flintstones, as another person noted.

 

Blogger Gypmar said ... (1:29 PM) : 

I love girl number one. Yes, it's cute. Nothing wrong with that. She's adorable, the proportions make sense, and HER LEGS AREN'T BARE. I can understand choosing fashion over comfort in most cases, but FUR IS HOT, people. That's why Inuits wear it. If it's cool enough to wear a fur vest without breaking a sweat, then it's too cool for bare legs.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:53 PM) : 

Fur looks best when it's obviously vintage or fake, because when it appears to be very new and/or expensive, it looks like the wearer is trying way too hard.

 

Blogger reverend dick said ... (2:25 PM) : 

they all look like the Marvel Comics version of Frankenstein's Monster. He used to pal around in one of those.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:37 PM) : 

Most of these are really unattainable, high-fashion shots, but you really bring it together w/ the first one. I like when you go back to the street style roots, and less of a fashion week crowd hanging out. (Even though I do understand that they have a limited budget like the rest of us, and make some really creative choices). Unfortunately, the weather where I am is quickly becoming too cold for this look.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:51 PM) : 

Some of them just seem like rehashes of the trendy top/bare legs/trendy shoes formula. Nothing wrong with it, it's just no longer interesting.

#1 and #4 are really good however. #1's fur has an amazing colour that complements the plaid dress well - even the black ribbon ties in... actually the more I look at it the better it seems.

#4's combination shouldn't work... but does. Unexpected, fresh and highly individual.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:53 PM) : 

I really hate this look. Fur is evil. But even faux fur vests are weird to me. It's so bulky and crazy looking. And if you aren't tee tiny like Rachel Zoe, you look like a bear. Which works in some circles. ;)

 

Blogger John-Bryan Hopkins said ... (2:55 PM) : 

it does nothing for these ladies...

it's not the fur that bothers me at all..

it just looks like they are molding in the middle....

sorry

its a not for me

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:20 PM) : 

The yeti look just doesn't work for me, especially if it is real fur.

 

Blogger Bleu Clothing said ... (3:34 PM) : 

third one down, love this look. her shoes are to die for.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:38 PM) : 

This has to be the vest of girl number one.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:39 PM) : 

Captain Caaaaaaaavemaaaaan!

 

Blogger D. said ... (4:03 PM) : 

Okay then, if anti-fur sentiments are just cut out entirely, I'll reduce my comment EVEN FURTHER: these vests are unflattering and boxy. They shorten the ladies' necks and mess with proportions in an unappealing way.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:13 PM) : 

No. Sorry, just no. Remember Toni Collette's 'yeti vest' in "About a Boy"?

 

Blogger Bluetramontana Style said ... (5:34 PM) : 

nice picture, nice location...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:46 PM) : 

The woman in the fourth photograph carries the look the best. It gives her a bit a volume without making her look like she's going into hibernation. Plus the D&G-esque plaided skirt and laced boots - she looks amazing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:50 PM) : 

Too "Clan of the Cave Bear" for me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:16 PM) : 

I have a blue iris mink vest that I wore yesterday because it was COLD. Mine is fitted, not oversized, not trendy, but very beautiful. I love fur, but most of my pieces are vintage (not supporting the killing of more fur-bearing animals). Nothing is as rich-looking and warm without adding bulk! Two of my kids play hockey and a fur jacket keeps me warm in cold rinks, don't cha know! :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:18 PM) : 

loving the first picture-- the boots are cute and the hairstyle is great. overall she looks really comfy & warm!

 

Blogger susand said ... (6:34 PM) : 

They all look like Zoe-bots except the girl in tartan. She looks fantastic!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:45 PM) : 

Looks like fun! Fur vests and don't forget the great shoes. Can't wait for those vests to reach my country!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:10 PM) : 

I love fur! If only people (peta) here in the US could stop making people feel bad for wearing fur! I have two fur coats (rabbit and faux), but wearing either one is only asking to get it ruined.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:22 PM) : 

Not for me as a trend, but I do think the woman at the very top wins this one.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:03 PM) : 

I've been watching this site for a while and I have to say, when it comes to women, you don't take pictures of clothes. You take pictures of legs!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:28 PM) : 

I got my first fur vest (it's #3 but red fox not grey) when I was 19 and have kept collecting them ever since. . .Love all of the looks and in the South, it's the contrast of bare skin and fur that makes these looks work. . .

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:28 AM) : 

I'm sure many people will comment with something similar, but fur looks better on the original owners. Not stylish, just cruel. You don't have to be a 'soy-flinging hippy' or whatever to dislike the idea of wearing fur. I love your blog; I wish you wouldn't promote this.

 

Blogger the sophisticat said ... (2:03 AM) : 

Thank you Carine Roitfeld Vogue Paris (feat Daria Werbowy) September issue. I'm just saying...

 

Blogger Dominica said ... (2:05 AM) : 

I really do like the (fake) fur(ry) bodywarmers you see a lot these days...but I prefer how the girl in the 1st picture wears it, her style - outfit is the most complete for me...
I even think, but then again I could be wrong, that her outfit isn't the most expensive one of all these women. That proofs that class & style isn't a question of money...
She just has GOT it !
As for some of these bodywarmers : they make me think of a bathroom-rug :-//

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:23 AM) : 

Looks like a reunion for the Sonny and Cher Show. There's one 70's style that can stay in the 70's.

 

Blogger leather girl said ... (11:17 AM) : 

#3 is my favorite. I always like this type of juxtaposition, a fur worn with shorts really says "I know I don't really need to be wearing this right now but I am and I love it". Unfortunately by the time this trend hits NY full force it'll be just like any other winter where they get swallowed by dark outerwear and winter layers.

 

Blogger Jenn said ... (12:17 PM) : 

I like fur. I like fur stoles. I like fur jackets. I like fur coats. I like fur hats. I am not sure I like fur vests. These are lovely pic's and beautiful examples of a fur vest but "vest" in general is still '80s and I am not sure it is working with fur.

 

Blogger rachelisdot...♡ said ... (1:49 PM) : 

I'm not at all sure about the returning 'trend' of fur gilets. They seem to come back around every 2 years or so and are worn by everyone from 2 year olds to grandmothers. Having said that these photographs prove that they can look stylish and I love the girl who teamed her gilet with the tartan skirt. She looks fantastic.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:37 PM) : 

A love these fur coats or whatever it is. But only if it's fake fur!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:42 PM) : 

Sarto, are you censoring anti-fur comments??? (I was wondering where they all were...)

Aah, well, it's your blog.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:27 PM) : 

Fur belongs on animals. I usually love your photos and sense of style, but fur is cruel when used for fashion and not survival.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:11 PM) : 

I love this look ... how can one pull it off using skinny jeans and moccasins? or is it strictly shorts only? also, what does one wear underneath? i would love to wear this look soon!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:16 AM) : 

out of all of these, there is only one women who does not looke tootally rediculous to me.

this looks like it is trying much too hard. and just because something is trendy does not mean it does not look rediculous.

This will be under a trend that will last for six months max, especially the ones not from very high end fur....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:46 AM) : 

haha looks like a ostrich :D funny!
I do not like !

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:48 AM) : 

ah! girls always have so much more fun! i always wonder whether fur vest (fake cur of course) will look good on guys!?!?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:49 PM) : 

I want to know where the first woman bought her shoes!!!!!!

 

Blogger JL said ... (8:31 PM) : 

Forget the first woman, I must find the shoes that the woman on the left in the last picture is wearing!

Not so crazy about the flokati-like vests....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:15 AM) : 

I love many of the looks, specially surprised by second shot, 'cos I have this Zara vest and I never thought about such a look! I know when I am wearing it some people hate it and another love it, fur vests are just so!I like first pic and second mostly :)

 

Blogger DefunctProduct said ... (4:38 PM) : 

I apologize if this went through multiple and many annoying times.

OK. As I wanted to share... Paul said, "La la la la lovely Linda." What an emotion and a representation of a unique individual. These chickies could take a cue from the lady.

(Go Stella.) Assuming she is still her mothers daughter.

THe end.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:22 PM) : 

The girl with the divine tartan skirt is definitely the only one who makes the fur vest rock. She seems kind of thin and perhaps that is why the vest gives good proportion.
I think her shoes are marc jacobs, anyway I love how she teamed them with the thicker socks (though not very many can pull this one off!).
Truly inspriring, Sart.

 

Blogger h said ... (2:35 PM) : 

These are very Rachel Zoe, but I think the key to executing the fur-vest well, is proportion. Girls 1, 2, 3 and 5 do a very good job of balancing the overwhelming vest with a short, slimmer-cut skirt. I'm actually thinking of purchasing Gryphon's brown fur vest because it has a built-in belt, which cinches the waist tight. Go furry vests!!!

TheFashionableMind.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:02 PM) : 

I like the vest.Fashionable, stylish and verry cute feminine.

 

Blogger LaLa said ... (11:26 PM) : 

Looks like my neighbor Nick with his shirt off.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:56 PM) : 

Ugh. Blame Rachel Zoe.

 

Blogger melange muse said ... (11:31 AM) : 

I want one.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:40 PM) : 

the red tarten skirt outfit is super pretty ! long skirts and with scoks and boots are the best. the fur vest tops the whole outfit off.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:34 AM) : 

So that's who nicked my toilet mats!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:06 AM) : 

i like the first one's hair

 

Blogger Wilhelm Carñes said ... (11:41 AM) : 

It's a wonderful thing when people who actually know how to wear chubbies wear them. They make the amateurs look like Eskimos.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:52 AM) : 

wow what an outfit! I love it. I am slightly larger than most women so I am not sure if it would look good on me, but I love the art form. I tend to get some of my clothes at www.generousfashions.com which caters to plus size women. Maybe some day you can design a fashion for us! keep it up!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:24 AM) : 

there is no excuse for fur. it is obscene. i love your blog, it is amazing. i check in daily.you have impeccable taste and a clear aesthetic that i respect. im really not trying to be negative towards you in anyway, because i know these pictures are objectively documenting an already existing trend. but if nobody mentions the pink elephant in the room, the fur industry will have less opposition and animal suffering will become acceptable and even more misunderstood. before anyone decides to buy a fur coat please research the industry, and if you couldn't kill it yourself, maybe it isnt ok after all.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:50 AM) : 

your amazing.
i love your art,
i think its enticing.



m

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting